Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I apologise for the short chapter and the wait, but I had to plan out and write the rest of this in order to tie it all together correctly. Since it is now almost done, my updates will be regular from now on. Thanks to all who have stuck with me so far :)-Acknowledgments are at the bottom.
The Stage is Set

A Stranger in a Strange Land

Harry watched with interest as Snape returned to his mission of providing them with something edible to eat. After the soup debacle, Harry had politely offered to prepare the food for the both of them. He explained to Snape that he had many years experience with Muggle food, since he had prepared most of the meals for his relatives as soon as he was able. This earned a raised eyebrow from Snape, who flat-out refused the offer. Snape mumbled something like 'responsible adult here' and commanded that Harry go amuse himself in the living room until the food was ready. Deciding that arguing was not in his best interests, Harry had nodded and grabbed a dusty book from the shelves. It appeared to be a book for magical persons-'How to Care for your Kneazle'-so the cottage must have belonged to a wizard.

A very boring wizard, as Harry noticed all the books were instructional guides.

He pretended to be engrossed in the tome as he spied on Snape from his vantage point on an old sofa with a clear view of the kitchen. Quite frankly, the Potions master was providing more amusement than some old books ever could. Harry bit on his lower lip to keep from laughing as Snape tore through the canned goods and dry boxes, studying each label. As the time passed and Harry's stomach began to growl in protest at the missed meals, he knew he would have to do something soon or they would both starve to death. He put down his book and wandered back into the kitchen.

"Professor?"

Snape jumped and dropped the can he was currently scrutinising. He glared at Harry with distinct mixture of irritation and impatience.

"I believe I told you to keep yourself occupied while I procured our meal, Potter. What is the reason for this interruption?"

"Well, sir, I'm rather hungry..and since I am familiar with Muggle food and such, I thought maybe I could assist you?"

Snape's eyes narrowed, and his lips curled into a sneer.

"Since you have no modicum of self control with anything else you do, I should not be surprised that a few hunger pangs would drive you to disobey my order."

Harry braced himself for the verbal assault that was sure to follow, lowering his gaze to the floor. After a few moments of silence, he reluctantly raised his eyes to Snape's and was shocked to see a faint trace of a smile upon Snape's pale face. He had a small, tin can in an outstretched hand, gesturing for Harry to take it from him.

Confused, but not willing to risk this unexpected turn of events, Harry tentatively took the can and gave Snape a nervous grin before glancing at the label.

"Now, Potter, I have one question for you." Snape said, in a serious tone.

"Yes, Professor?"

"Why do Muggles wish to consume merpeople? It was my understanding that they believed them to be myth-"

Harry's incredibly amused expression halted Snape in midsentence. Using all of his strength not to laugh, he choked out a response.

"Err...Professor..they don't. It's simply advertising for a brand of tuna fish."

Snape nodded, as if he didn't notice Harry was about to dissolve into a fit of giggles.

"I had begun to suspect as much, after seeing another item with an alleged 'vampire' on it. What genuine vampire would been seen eating chocolate? You would assume even Muggles had some basic knowl...is something funny, Potter?"

Severus shook his head as the boy turned bright red in an obvious attempt to control himself.

"Potter, I was not raised by Muggles. The only knowledge that I possess is that which would be useful in a time of war. That is what my father believed to be..."

Severus trailed off when he realised what he had said. Now he was freely divulging personal information to Harry Potter, of all people? He quickly changed the subject, and gave Potter a look that clearly said that topic was not up for further discussion.

"Enough talk, Potter. If you truly have the skills you speak of then I suggest you put them to good use. We will be no match for anyone if we are both undernourished."

"Sir?"

"What is it now, Potter?"

"Who, exactly, do we need to be ready for?"

Snape felt all of his thirty-five years as he ignored the question and swept by the boy to investigate the living room further.

The Play Begins

Nymphodora Tonks sat stiffly in her usual chair for the dreaded meetings at Grimmauld Place. The subject tonight was the same thing it had been for the past couple of days.

Where was Severus Snape and Harry Potter?

So far, Dumbledore had confirmed that the two were alive and most likely were being held against their will. The vast majority of the Order members conceded that their captors were Death Eaters or Lord Voldemort himself, with only a few dissenting voices among them-mainly her own and Kingsley Shacklebolt's.

These meetings angered her more and more as precious time was lost to arguments and debates. The war had begun, yet all the others seem to do was talk about it as if the war had not happened yet.

She wanted to yell...no...scream at them until her voice was hoarse.

It's here! Are you all so blind and petty that you can't see what's happening around you anymore! All of you are your own worst enemy.

But she stays silent, and smiles at the poor attempts of humour made by others. Breaks a few glasses here and there and no one suspects a bloody thing.

The war was here, and she was not about to be on the losing side.