Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I should probably note that this story is also under my newer penname Alomoria on ff(dot!)net, should that be familiar to anyone.
Chapter 2

Harry James Potter had been bracing himself for anything really. He had been working on this for a few months, and had plenty of time to think about the ramifications implied.

He knew the time would be anywhere from the beginning of his second year to almost his fourth. As Ron said, a pretty big gap. A lot had happened back then, and with Harry's luck, he'd be thrown into the midst of one of his more sticky situations.

But that hadn't happened.

Instead Harry was on his back and gazing at a sky full of stars. They weren't as vibrant as at Hogwarts though, because several streetlamps set soft glows of blue and gold all through the street. Harry took in several lungfulls of the clean, cool night air. He closed his eyes. All he heard were distant sounds of cars or people, crickets, and a few dogs barking in the far distance. He was alive and felt no pain. It was better than Harry expected.

But then he heard a whimper. He jumped to a sitting position and there, in the bushes past an old bench that sat near the sidewalk Harry found himself occupying, was a dark blob of shadow.

Harry squinted and then his eyes widened. Two silver orbs stared right into his green ones, and tentatively, a dark and raggedy paw took a step forward. Its back was hunched and fur matted and in need of washing. It was a huge black dog, and for a split second Harry didn't realize and immediately thought of the Grim.

But then he thought of his godfather an instant later, sending through him a jolt of recognition, elation, fear that he was hallucinating, and a dozen other intense feelings and emotions.

"S-Sirius?" Harry breathed in an almost whisper, his arms shaking beneath him as he held himself upright. The dog stopped dead cold and perked its ears up, letting out a confused but desperate whine. Its eyes seemed to widen to match Harry's and the two stared at one another in silence.

But the moment was lost as in a flash a double-decker bus had appeared. A gangly young man, one older than Harry, stepped off and looked over the boy. He has messy, shaggy hair and a bus cap on sideways. His face was peppered with blemish (something Harry was happy he hadn't been cursed with in his own youth) but his eyes were kind and warm, if a little mischievous. He may have been young and probably a dropout, but he had some street smarts.

"Oiy, what are you doin' on tha' floor then?" The man asked Harry who had broken his gaze of the dog to the bus. Harry looked back and found the dog gone. Harry sighed a shaky breath.

"I…tripped." Harry explained.

"Well, come on then. Me name's Stan. Stan Shunpike at your service." Stan gave a little bow and Harry had to smile to himself. He had almost forgotten who this man was…but now he knew exactly where and when he had travelled and couldn't believe his luck.

He turned and took in his only possessions in the world. A sturdy trunk and…a cage.

With a beautiful fluffy snowy owl inside.

Harry gulped back tears as Hedwig eyed him in concern. Harry vowed to tell her just how much he appreciated her once they were fully alone again. Right now he had to act nonchalant.

Harry hopped to his feet, but was still wobbly as his frame was significantly lighter (which was a real problem since he was already deathly skinny before in his own time) and his limbs were a bit awkward. He rolled his eyes at himself as he wasn't sure he wanted to see what he looked like as a lanky young teen again.

"Watch ye'self me lad." Stan commented, holding out an arm for Harry to grasp and helped him onto the bus. Stan then chucked Harry's luggage beside him on the rickety bed Harry now sat upon, as well as setting Hedwig on his other side, albeit gentler.

"So who are ya and where to then?"

"I'm Neville…Neville Longbottom." Harry replied fast, inwardly wincing at using his friend's name as an alias. "And the Leaky Cauldron if you don't mind." Harry grinned. He was at ease for he knew exactly what was going to happen. Well, from what he remembered anyway.

"All-wright Nev. Ern! You 'erd 'im! Off we go-o!" Stan shouted though Erne was right beside him. Ernie nodded, adjusted his huge bifocals that made him like an owl, and sped off, jolting the entire bus and its contents.

Harry landed on his back with a soft 'oof!' before righting himself again. Stan was leaning casually on a side bar near the door, flipping through the Daily Prophet. Harry stared at the face of his loving godfather on the front page, snarling at the photographer as he held his incarceration number, a haunted and wild look as he screamed. Harry felt his heart sink to know that Sirius had been in that awful place for almost twelve years or so only to die a fugitive from freedom in the next two. Harry glared then, a determined look upon him. He would make sure that didn't happen again.

Stan saw the intense scrutiny Harry gave the front of his newspaper and turned it over, a comprehending look dawning over his own features.

"Ah, I see you're just as int'rest'd in the ol' Black case as me." Stan nodded at Harry.

"Yeah…I hear even the muggles are looking for him." Harry said neutrally.

"Aye, they sure is. Think he's a regular muggle homicidal lunatic o'course. But we know bettah', don we Ern?" Stan shouted the last part to the driver who had just slammed on the brakes then hit the gas as if he were racing for NASCAR. He gave a gruff affirmation which Stan naturally understood. Stan then turned back to Harry.

"If'n you asks me, I'd suppose the bugger is after his poor li'ile godson, that 'Arry Pottah. Finish off the job he started all them years ago, says I." Stan continued, flipping through the paper. He flipped past a column by that Skeeter reporter and Harry made a noise of disgust at seeing her picture. He's have to remember to get leverage back on her and fast this time around.

Stan simply thought Harry's guttural noise was in response to his spiel and merely said, "Me thoughts exactly." Harry though was lost in his out thought as he thrashed about on the rickety bed. Hedwig hooted furiously within her cage. Harry murmured quiet comfort to her, to which she responded with coos of affection, unused to super attentiveness in her young master.

They finally reached the Leaky Cauldron and Stan helped Harry heft out his belongings which were few and the two parted ways. But before Stan turned his back on the Boy Who Lived, Harry found himself remembering more of the Stan in his time and couldn't help himself saying his warning.

"Stan…look. I don't know you at all...but I'm good with intuition." Harry began, encouraged by Stan's curious gaze. "All I'm saying is that these are dark times coming…"Harry winced at what he said next, "What with that Sirius Black running loose. Don't associate yourself with it. The Ministry is paranoid as is, and it'll only get worse." Harry finished and turned away, hoping this was the first life he could save.

"Er, thanks Neville." Stan replied slowly after Harry's retreating form, and in an instant, he was gone.

Harry sighed to himself. He remembered vaguely that Stan Shunpike had implied to friends that he'd some inside information on the darker parts of wizard society. By that time the Ministry was all over such blatant accusations and Stan found himself with a one way ticket to Azkaban, later aiding the Death Eaters under the Imperius….his final fate unknown.

Harry knew he never had anything to do with them and had just done it for the attention. Stan may not have been the sharpest quill in the inkwell, but he had a good heart. And to Harry that was enough.

Sighing again he gently carried Hedwig and her cage under one arm and lugged his trunk in the other. He was gasping once he made it to the entrance. He noted he'd need to get healthier if he were to accomplish half of what he had in the previous timeline. He mentally cursed his Aunt and Uncle for being such prats to him and almost starving him to this degree. He truly hadn't noticed until the last few years he'd not been in their total care for the summer. Hmm. Maybe he could try to talk some sense into them too. Dudley at least showed true promise if their last spoken words were any inclination.

Harry walked into the inn/pub/gateway to the wizarding world and easily found the innkeeper, Tom.

"Bless my soul, Harry!" Tom happily exclaimed. "Pleasure as always." He shook Harry's hand and Harry grinned back at him. "What can I do you for?"

"I'd like a room to stay in sir, if it's not too much trouble? I daresay I'll be leaving for Hogwarts soon enough." Harry said conversationally. He was at perfect ease right now, content that only a convicted killer seemed the only one truly out to get him at this point in time.

"Ah, that's fine Mr. Potter." Tom smiled. "Anything I can get for ya? A spot of herbal tea? A soup perhaps?" Harry smiled at the thought of food but the two were interrupted by another voice behind them.

"I believe shall be welcome to dine with me, Tom. We've a few things to discuss." Harry closed his eyes and willed his expression not to darken and successfully blanked his face when he turned around to meet the Minister.

"Good evening Minister Fudge." Harry said quietly. He was thankful that the place was virtually empty this time of night. Probably why Fudge had allowed the bus to cart Harry here the first time around.

"Mr. Potter?" Tom asked, not too fond of taking orders from someone he clearly didn't approve of.

"It'll be fine Tom." Harry smiled warmly. "Do take special care of Hedwig. She's my prized companion." Harry winked and Tom nodded with a grin. Harry then followed Fudge to a back room not too far and lighted well. Harry noticed the furtive glances Cornelius kept shooting his way, but Harry wasn't fazed.

"Have a seat Harry." Fudge said in fake warmness, sitting himself down across from the boy, a smile forced on his face.

"Thanks sir." Harry murmured.

"I know this must be about my Aunt, sir." Harry dove in, wanting to get this particular meeting over with. He was just happy he had a good meal to root through as the political puppet recited his script.

"Hmm? What? Oh! Yes…your…Aunt…well, no worries child. We all have our bouts of emotion, and blowing up your relative isn't really cause for expulsion. Accidental magic and all." Fudge shrugged and Harry hoped his faked relief would pass Fudge's anxious expression. Harry took a bite out of his roast and closed his eyes in delight.

"Thanks so much." Harry added for extra believability, and through a mouthful to emphasize his naïve youth. It worked.

"Of course, my boy." Harry prickled at that. Only Dumbledore could call him that.

"The Ministry is looking out for you, Harry. We always will." Yeah right, Harry thought as he sipped his juice. Huh, it was apple this time. Neato.

"And as such, upon hearing of your...impromptu journey from home—" The word you're looking for is runawayHarry thought again. "—I felt it necessary to warn you never to do so again. There are dangers out there Harry…especially now." Harry inwardly groaned as he yet again had to look appropriately confused and scared at the bumbling minister's foreboding tone. "Don't leave the protection of your home unless it is absolutely needful, do you understand?"

Harry nodded.

"Good. Off to bed with you then!" Fudge seemed wholly relieved and somewhat smug as if he was a guiding influence in Harry's life. Harry merely humored him and was excited to get back to Hedwig and his trunk. He paid Tom with the gold he had left and settled into his bed after doing countless spells and protective charms he'd learned from Hermione during their stay on the run all those months.

Harry delighted just lying on the soft bed, alone and quite sure he was safe. For now anyway. Hedwig made a fuss and Harry sat back up. He looked to the door and muttered a silencing charm just to be on the safe side. Harry would take all precautions needed this time around.

"Hey there girl." Harry murmured lovingly and Hedwig stopped her tantrum to look into her master's solemn but caring eyes. Harry opened the cage and let her perch on his arm. Harry then sat himself back on the bed, gently stroking Hedwig's soft chest plumage. Hedwig then commenced her soft coos and began to blink sleepily.

"Hedwig, I know you know it's me." Harry began. "But I've grown up. And I saw some things…things I don't want to happen." Harry found himself choking up and Hedwig looked at him curiously.

"I love you, Hedwig. And…and I don't want to lose you. Not ever." Harry's tears began to fall, just a few mind, but enough to make Hedwig ruffle her feathers as they fell on her and give Harry a giggle.

"I'd tell you never to try to save my life…but somehow I've got a feeling you wouldn't listen to me." Hedwig merely hooted and fluffed up herself.

"You remind me of someone…" Harry trailed off and then it dawned on him. He had almost the exact conversation with another overly loyal creature, years ago for him but in reality not yet a year.

Dobby.

"I'll have to check up on him." Harry said with a nod to himself. Yet another life to save. And Harry was glad for it.

Hedwig nibbled at his collar and Harry nudged her with his head. Somehow he realized Hedwig must've considered him something akin to her chick. The idea made Harry giggle some more.

The sound of bells chimed in another part of the inn and Harry glanced at the clock on the wall. This, he noted, was normal as far as wizard clocks go. It simply said the time like a regular muggle clock. It was nearing midnight already. If he remembered correctly, he had almost two weeks till the term began.

He had some letters to write.

He got up after setting Hedwig down in her still open cage and began to rummage through his trunk. He sat on his knees and slowly went through all of his belongings. Everything looked so new and he found himself smiling softly.

He gently took out the album Hagrid had given him at the end of first year. It had only a few pictures, ones of him and his parents, or James and Lily on their own. And one of him, Ron and Hermione. He frowned slightly, wondering where, if any, pictures of Remus and Sirius were. And—dare he dream!—some of his very young mother and equally young Potions Master. He craved those pictures now. Wanted to see them all. It had never occurred to him before now that such pictures must exist. He made another mental note to ask around once he got settled.

Setting the beloved album aside, he saw his broom. It was shrunken slightly to fit inside and he trailed a finger along the sleek wood. He sighed. It reminded him of McGonagall and their bond that he'd left behind. The war had brought them close, just like he had been with Dumbledore almost. He hoped he could form that bond again.

He shook his head of racing thoughts and gently moved aside his Quidditch Through The Ages for his spare parchment, a quill and ink.

He sat down on the desk beside his bed and began to write.

Dear Hermione,

I hope this letter finds you well. I find myself in alternate lodgings now. If I remember correctly, I had a row with the Dursleys, and you remember how they used to get.

Harry hoped his wording was clear enough for her to catch on. He of course remembered exactly what happened that night so long ago. Marge had the mouth of a sailor and the temperament of a banshee. But, if things hadn't gone well, and this Hermione wasn't the one he hoped for (or if this got intercepted) he needed to make sure it wouldn't give him away.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you know where I am. I'm going to see if I can stay at the Burrow once I settle some things here and we can arrange to get our school supplies together. Maybe your parents will let you stay over too? We've got loads of figuring to do, what with this term coming up and everything we'll have to deal with.

Well, I better get to writing Ron. He's got a tougher job of it right now I imagine. Scabbers will likely cause him some trouble.

By the way, have you thought about getting a pet for school? Perhaps a cat?

Love, Harry

Well, it wasn't too abnormal. And he hoped Hermione would get his suggestions.

He folded it up neatly and sealed the envelope. He then wrote on the cover their code.

I open at the close.

He liked that it could simply mean just what it said. If worse came to worse, he could just tell Hermione he liked riddles. But he very much hoped his Hermione would be getting this. It would make things a whole lot easier.

Next he began his letter to Ron.

Dear Ron,

I hope everything at home is safe and sound. I'm sure you and the twins are up to some mischief.

Harry didn't what to feel about that line. Thinking of Fred and the map made him happy and sad all at once. He couldn't imagine how Ron must be feeling if he too made it home.

But I just wanted to remind you to keep Scabbers out of it. We all know that fool rat can cause us some real trouble. Don't do anything rash…just find a way to keep him quiet and out of sight until the time is right. Padfoot is anxious to meet him I bet, but we need to make sure it's a full party. We may just invite the minister.

Tell your mum I've arrived at the Cauldron and I was hoping I could stay over until term begins. I've written Hermione and hopefully we can get together and study what we can to deal with the coming year.

Tell Ginny I said hi.

Love, Harry.

Harry smiled. He knew he had to be a bit more…literal…when coding this letter to Ron. But he just hoped he got to him in time before he let his anger slip and Pettigrew along with it. Should this Ron not be his own…well…he'd just chalk it up to being weirder than usual due to his exposure to the Dursleys. He also knew his young self didn't usually end his letters with 'love'. But the three had gotten into the habit since they were all he had, and in ways vice versa. Harry valued his friendships a hundred times over now, and would not be afraid to show it, even if it would be out of character during this time.

Harry sealed the letter like the first, the code on the front instead of a name. He knew Hedwig was clever enough to know which went to who. He undid his spells and cautiously stepped out of his room, Hedwig in his shoulder packed with his two letters. He knew he should have written a third…but he was at a loss of a believable excuse to be sending Draco Malfoy a letter. He hoped he could think of one soon and in the meantime would see where he and his two-thirds of Trio stood. Perhaps Draco would initiate contact? That'd be far easier, but then with Draco nothing ever was.

Harry made it gingerly to the back alley, the cool night air grazing his cheeks and tufts of hair.

"I want you to send Hermione's first, then Ron's. Stay if they mean to reply straight away, okay girl? I'll set a charm to alert me when you come back and I'll meet you here. Be careful, luv. I don't want you getting hurt." Harry spoke softly and nudged her forehead with his own, earning a loving chirp in response. She stretched her wings and took off, the moonlight dancing on her feathers.

Harry stood there and watched as her form faded away. He found himself staring at the moon. It was almost full, and would be within the week. He sighed, knowing that for Remus this meant a torturing pain endured alone. It hurt Harry to think of it.

Harry made sure all was secure before plopping back down on his pillow. He was exhausted but he couldn't sleep. A part of him was alert now that he knew he was in a world that Voldemort was still technically alive. And in his sleepy haze times blurred and he had that familiar fear of the Snatchers or Death Eaters who could barge in at any minute. It was around four or five that morning that Harry felt the gentle surge of magic, alerting him Hedwig was back. He climbed out of the bed, having laid atop the covers in his street clothes, and went back outside.

Hedwig was waiting for him, perched on an old stump that had once been a tree growing through the cobble stone.

"Good job, girl." Harry beamed. Hedwig nipped his hand and cooed concern.

"I'll get some rest later. I'm used to it." Harry assured her. "Have you anything for me?" Hedwig stuck out her leg in response and Harry was happy to see two letters attached to her little leg.

Harry gathered the letters and fluffy white owl in his arms and left quickly inside.

Hedwig was quite comfortable in his arms and squawked a bit when he moved to put her back in her cold cage.

Harry reached into his trunk, hoping he remembered right about where he kept her treats. He gave her some, bade her goodnight and gently covered her cage with a blanket to keep her warm and comfy.

Harry turned around and sat at his desk. He felt very…anxious. More so than earlier. It was now that he would see if his best friends in the entire world made it here as he had.

He first opened Hermione's.

Dear Harry,

I can't tell you how happy I was to receive your letter! I was about to write you but…I lost myself in just spending time with mum and dad. I guess it was nice pretending nothing happened, y'know? And in a way, it hasn't. Not yet.

Harry's heart finally calmed down. This was his Hermione!

I'm not surprised you decided to remove yourself from the Dursleys. They were never too sympathetic to our cause. And I'm happy you made it to safety. I'll ask mum and Mrs. Weasley about staying over at the Burrow. And you're absolutely right, we've loads to cover in a small amount of time. I've written Ronald and we should have everything organized, but regardless you'll be there before me most likely.

Merlin help us if he loses Scabbers before we even get there.

And yes! I'll need to pick up Crookshanks and explain to him the situation. I'm sure he'll help us like he did Padfoot.

Anyway, stay safe Harry. I'll be seeing you soon!

Love, Hermione

Harry could almost shout with joy. He felt his hope falter a bit though as he picked up Ron's. Well, he might as well bite the bullet, as the Muggles say.

Dear Harry,

Mate! I can't tell you how crazy these past few hours have been! It's been like walking in a dream. Everything is the same, just how I remember it! Anyway, I won't say too much til' me meet up but blimey, it's been amazing.

Fred especially, Harry. He's doing great. They just look so young though!

Harry was elated once again but rolling his eyes at the near transparent way his best friend was describing things. Of course, Harry was extremely happy for him and knew what he must be feeling. He didn't blame him. Hermione's joy had been more subdued, since in a way her parents were still with her, not forever gone like Fred. But he also knew both his friends felt just as ecstatic and overwhelmed with joy at seeing their family intact, untouched by war and alive.

Harry felt lonelier than ever for a moment. He hadn't really met anyone yet…and in a way didn't have anyone yet. Other than Dumbledore. He sighed. He'd have his turn soon enough. Back to Ron's humorous inflection.

I found the nasty rat asleep on my bed when I came in. I slipped him some of the twins' experimental sleeping potion. I'll try to keep him sedated until we can find a more permanent solution. Like a werewolf accident. Or Crookshanks.

I hope Herms finds him again at that petshop.

Anyway, it's pretty late now (and you better get some rest!) but I'll ask mum and dad about you staying over until term. Keep an eye out alright? And be careful.

Love, Ron

P.S. Ginny blushed so bad when I told her you said hi to her especially! I forgot how adorable she was at this age. I'll try to get her to see you as a regular bloke instead of a wizard hero, haha.

Harry swelled with affection for his friends, and marveled at how motherly Ron had become under Hermione's influence. He was truly lucky for the friends he had.

He held the letters close for a moment, cherishing the words of his friends before putting them in the fire. He couldn't risk them being found.

It was almost six. Harry supposed he should start getting ready for the day. He had a few errands to run today and he needed to look rested. He rummaged again through his trunk, noting he should repack it later, and neatly. He finally found his old black jacket with the two white stripes down the sleeve.

He also found an old grey shirt, one of Dudley's, and some jeans. Harry sighed, reckoning he'd better get some clothes today. He never truly bothered when he was younger. But now he appreciated having shirts and pants that actually fit, and even robes if he found some he liked. He quietly shrugged off his shirt and old slacks he was forced to wear to please his "Aunt" Marge the night before. Harry then put on his chosen outfit and old trainers that were far more comfortable than Dudley's ratty dress shoes he'd also been forced to wear. He then chanced a look into the mirror above the dresser.

"You look like a ragamuffin." It said, and Harry chuckled, quite agreeing. His face wasn't as angular as when he last saw himself. His hair was a tad bit longer but wilder too. His glasses were the same at least. But his eyes were still a dull green, even a bit haunted. Dark circles graced beneath them and his skin was pale, even for him. Harry lifted a hand to the mirror to touch his reflection then gasped.

His own writing stared back at him from the small but permanent scar.

I must not tell lies.

Harry furrowed his brow at that. So the spell made him keep that? Weird. He sighed, knowing this scar and the way his eyes looked were vestiges from his past but also future. A future he was determined to erase. Rubbing his hand absently he wondered how he would explain if someone noticed it. He shrugged it off though, remembering no one had the first time around. And now it wasn't nearly so pronounced, just a soft white scar in Harry's handwriting right below his knuckles.

Stashing his vault key in his pocket, Harry left his room (casting powerful protective spells, especially over Hedwig) and made his way out into the secret entrance to Diagon Alley.


It was a warm day, but not overly so. It was early too, which helped Harry evade the usual crowds. He spotted his first destination and proceeded to make his way, glancing at the Quidditch shop, the shopkeeper just now opening doors and putting up the newest model broom: the Firebolt. Harry looked away quickly, as it made him think of his godfather and that in turn made him worry.

It was funny in a way, because the first time around he'd been confused, a bit scared and then angered at the mention of the wondering dog once he found out who he was supposed to be. Now Harry knew the truth, and only hoped he could arrange things to keep Sirius safe, no matter the cost.

Harry stepped up the steps of Gringotts and handed a clerk his key. Surprisingly, Griphook was assigned to escort him to his vault.

"It's been a while, Griphook." Harry said conversationally as they rode the short ride to his vault on the cart. The Goblin merely raised a brow at that and then replied.

"I'm surprised you remember me, Mr. Potter. Everyone usually refers to us as just the Goblins."

"Well, I'm not everyone." Harry smiled. Somewhere near the surface Harry felt a sort of bitter hate for the creature. He had betrayed them in Bellatrix's vault and stole away Godric's sword. But after hearing what befell him and the others later on…well, Harry would never have wished that on him. Perhaps if he could make a stronger good impression this time, the Goblin may be of use later.

That is if Bella still had Helena's cup.

Griphook didn't say much else after that, but continued to dart suspicious, and somewhat curious looks towards Harry as he continued to be civil. Harry grabbed only what he supposed he should need this coming year and then they made their way back up. Harry couldn't help but shudder a couple times, flashbacks of his last trip down deeper within these caverns still fresh in his mind.

Bidding goodbye to the Goblins Harry then made his way to Malkin's. He reckoned he'd ought to get his clothes since it would take longer this time around.

Harry was surprised it was open this early as he walked in, bells above him jingling at his arrival.

"Hello hello hello! What can I do you for?" Madame Malkin bustled in.

"Hi." Harry said shyly. "I'd like to be fitted for my school robes, and I'd also like to get some casual wear, muggle and wizard style if that's agreeable."

"Ah, well come right here, Mr. Potter. Gryffindor yes?" Madame said, swishing her wand to gather her magical measuring tapes and some nice fresh robes ready to be fitted.

"Yes ma'am." Harry smiled.

"Alright…ah! There we go. "She muttered, carefully taking his measurements and he stood there. Harry heard another jingle as someone else arrived into the store but since Harry's back was to the door (curse it! Years of paranoia and he'd already made a rookie mistake!) he didn't see who it was.

"I'll be right with you dear. I've just got to get some of these patches attached in the back. I wont be but a moment!" And she hurried off, Harry tunring to face silver eyes staring back.

"Potter." Draco Malfoy drawled.

"Malfoy." Harry nodded minutely in greeting, something his younger self would have puked before doing.

The two stared at one another for a moment and then Draco spoke again.

"I heard something rather…interesting…yesterday."

"Oh? And what was that?" Harry asked, as he began to peruse the clothes racks to hide his nervousness. He had no idea if this was the Draco he knew or the Malfoy from now.

"It was a sort of riddle…'I open at the close'. Mean anything to you?" Draco was met with green eyes, a bit duller than he expected but hopeful and happy at what he had said. He felt warm at having caused that reaction.

"Indeed it does, Draco." Harry chuckled happily, hugging the blonde who was sputtering incoherently at the contact.

"Merlin, get off me. People will talk!" Draco said, though he didn't throw Harry off as the later would have expected.

"What are you doing here?" Harry asked excitedly.

"Getting my robes before you and your little entourage do. Obviously I'm too late." Draco sniffed.

"Nah, it's just me right now. I reckon we'll get our books and all later after I meet up with them."

"Thank goodness."

Harry rolled his eyes and then began to genuinely search the racks for things he liked. He found a nice green muggle-style t-shirt and slung it over an arm, continuing his search.

"Oh you can't be getting that." Draco sneered.

"It's nicer than what I have on now." Harry replied, not looking up.

"Tch, trash is not better than rubbish, Potter. They are the same thing."

"Don't you have some diamond cuffs to buy or something?" Harry smirked.

"No, that will be next year, when we attend the Yule Ball." Draco huffed, opting to look at some shinny leather shoes.

"Ugh, don't remind me." Harry grumped, but his scowl softened as he found a nice maroon button up he could roll up at the arms.

"You know that muggle shirt is a Slytherin color." Draco commented from his side of the room.

"Mmm-hmm."

"You don't mind?"

"Hmm? Oh no. I've always liked green. Well, more of a dark teal green, but the general color is nice too."

Draco made a noncommittal sound at that. It was bit surreal that here he was, causally shopping for clothing with the savior of their world. It made him stop and stare at Harry for a moment.

Harry noticed Malfoy had ceased making small noises of movement and looked up to see the blonde looking at him. Just looking, as if in awe.

"What?" Harry asked self-consciously, wiping at his face and looking at his rumpled jacket.

"Heh, nothing Harry." Draco replied softly, realizing just how humble and normal Harry really was. Meanwhile Harry was amazed Draco had called him by his first name.

"Look, we haven't much time. Have you heard from Weasel and Granger?" Draco decided to change the subject as Harry had that 'I knew you were my friend!' look again. Plus, they really were running out of time.

"Yup." Harry answered, picking out a nice dark, warm green sweater with silver stripes. Draco rolled his eyes, knowing Harry meant to make some statements this coming year, and apparently was starting with his choice of clothing.

"Well?"

"Ron and Hermione are fine and no one suspects anything." Harry said in a whisper. Draco nodded.

"What about you? Is your father with you?"

"Yes. Things are fine, thought I think my parents were suspicious when I didn't act so…pompous." Draco wrinkled his nose from admitting that. "Father had some ministry business to do, likely to with Lupin's placement on Hogwarts's pay roll. He doesn't seem to take to the man. I'm just thankful he hasn't found out what he is." Draco whispered back. It was Harry's turn to nod.

"Hopefully your Head of House won't have such a loose tongue this time." Harry said a bit harshly.

"Yeah." Draco sighed.

At that moment Madame Malkin tutted back into the main room, fetching Draco to fit while handing Harry his new robes. Draco noticed Harry's reverent look as he held them, a hand gently going over the Gryffindor badge.

"You're much taller dear, let me get some longer base robes…" Madame mumbled more to herself. Draco smirked at Harry who rolled his eyes. Madame summoned the robes and began to fiddle with the tape.

Harry meanwhile found a few more items he really liked, as well as a couple casual robes, one green and the other a dark maroon with brown accents. The latter reminded him of Remus.

By the time he was ready, Draco was as well.

They took their turns paying and then travelled back out into the street, which was slowly filled but was still virtually empty.

"Well, where are you off to then?" Draco asked, tucking his package under an arm.

"Probably back to the Leaky Cauldron. I'm waiting to hear from the Weasleys. You?"

"I might as well get my books, including that ghastly book Hagrid made us buy."

Harry chuckled. "At least we know how to tame it now. Besides, Hagrid really knows his stuff when it comes to magical creatures. And it means a lot to him."

"I know that now." Draco replied softly. They continued their walk down the street, keeping a relatively slow pace. A few stares came their way as one or two people recognized them both, but overall they looked like two friends enjoying a casual conversation. Harry stopped at one point and Draco, feeling his presence leave turned back and came to his side.

"What's the hold up Potter?" He asked.

"It's just…well…it's where their shop would be. Weasleys Wizard Wheezes." Harry replied, looking at the corner apartment and shop, empty and dull with a sign saying it was available for rent.

"Oh yes…I vaguely remember that place." Draco said, taking the scene in.

"It was brilliant y'know. The twins are right geniuses."

"Well, maybe it'll be back."

"I hope so." Harry smiled. And they continued on.

They arrived at the bookshop, Flourish and Blotts. It was nearing 10 am and so Harry had become quite hungry, or so his stomach reminded both the boys with a particularly large growl.

"That's my cue." Draco tried to say with a straight face but couldn't. Harry laughed with him.

"Go on Potter, I'll see you on the train."

"See ya, Draco."

And with that the two parted ways. Harry was barely in the thresh hold of the inn when Tom stopped him.

"Harry, dear boy. I received a letter for you. The owl nearly killed himself running into that stump outside, the ruddy thing."

Harry chuckled his thanks and took the letter, amused that Errol was still as wobbly and blind as he remembered.

Harry carefully peeled away his spells, reinstated them once he got in his room, then plopped on his bed, packages beside him. It was a letter from the Weasleys alright. Harry commenced to open it.

Dear Harry-kins,

Mum made me write this, as she's currently occupied with swatting my brother with a spoon. George has got to learn to be more careful with our experiments I tell you! Silly prat let some of our sleeping potion spill on the carpet in the hall somehow, but denies ever leaving our room with it. My bum still smarts! At least your relatives just put bars on your windows, we get a full on wooden utensil!

Harry couldn't help but laugh out right at that.

Ooop, Mum is telling me to hurry up. Anyway, dear Harry-kins, ickle Ronnie told us about you hedging for a place to stay with us at the lavish apartments within the Burrow. Say no more! Mum and Dad will be glad to have you, and we kids suppose one more can't hurt! (we'll outnumber those pesky adults!) You can Floo over with Dad, who will be coming by to get you around noon. See you then little brother!

-Fred W.

Harry's eyes welled up when he realized this letter was written by Fred Weasley. And what was more, he had been called his brother.

Harry decided it was safe to keep this letter and so he gently folded it and stuck it into his family album. He glanced at the clock, sighed and began to undress once again, opting for actual clothes he bought for himself, intending to burn Dudley's clothes once and for all. It wasn't like he was bitter toward his family, though if he were honest with himself, it still hurt after all these years, but he honestly hated what they represented. That the people who he had left didn't care to give him proper clothes, much less love that a family should. He knew they had the means, but simply chose not to. And that was something he was done with dealing with. Harry chose to wear a blue t-shirt he had gotten and dark blue jeans. Harry had even gotten some converse, but how Madame Malkin had acquired them Merlin only knew.

After that he emptied his trunk, sorted his things carefully then placed them back in one by one, laying Dudley's hand-me-downs on top so he could get rid of them later. He had just sat down on the bed again when there was a knock at his door. Hedwig rustled awake at the noise and Harry took off her blanket and laid it on the bed. He then straightened his shirt, tried to flatten his unruly hair and took don his lingering spells.

Harry then took a breath and opened the door.