Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Spiders

Next Chapter:

 

               Severus glanced over at the gargoyle as it sprang alive and jumped to the side, revealing the staircase behind it, and Harry, who slowly stepped off the moving stairway and into the hallway. Severus pushed off the wall and walked over to his son.

               “Took you long enough,” Severus commented.

               “Professor Dumbledore’s bird caught on fire,” Harry said as he quickly fell into step at Severus’s side, walking next to him down the hallway.

               “About time. I’ve been wondering when that old thing would keel over.”

               “Hey, that’s not nice,” Harry frowned up at his father, then tilted his head as he considered the situation. “Well, I guess you knew it would come back to life. Do phoenixes ever die die?

               “Pardon?” Severus asked with a frown as he glanced down at Harry.

               “You know what I mean. Like permanently die and not rise out of its ashes again. Maybe if it gets old enough or if something kills it?”

               “I don’t think phoenixes ever die for good but don’t quote me on it. Now.” Severus paused in the hallway and stared down at Harry, who paused next to him. “What did the headmaster tell you?”

               “Just that he doesn’t think I’m behind the petrifications.” Harry hesitated, then glared up at Severus. “You told him about the voices.”

               “Yes,” Severus confirmed as he raised a brow.

               “Well . . . maybe I didn’t want him to know.”

               “Don’t be ridiculous, why wouldn’t I tell the headmaster of your peculiar gift. Obviously, you can hear something the rest of the school cannot, and that information may or may not be linked to what is happening in the school right now. Of course, I told him about the voices you’re hearing. It would be irresponsible of me not to.”

               “You could have told me you told him.”

               “Not everything I do will fall on your ears. The headmaster needed to be privy of any strange occurrence happening in the school, and your problem is a strange occurrence. Of which, have you heard any more voices recently?”

               “Not really,” Harry mumbled.

               “That would be a yes or no answer to the question.”

               “No.” Harry rolled his eyes.

               “Mind your attitude.” Severus narrowed his eyes at Harry before his face softened as he eyed his son with a concerned look. “You’re being honest with me?”

               “Yes, sir. I haven’t heard any voices. What’s it matter anyway? What if it’s all in my head and has nothing to do with any of the petrifications?”

               “You and I both know how unlikely it is that the two are unrelated, but we will deal with your problem when the situation presents itself accordingly, which will be the next time you hear the voice. And you will report directly to me at that moment, regardless of where you are at.”

               “Even in class?”

               “Even in class,” Severus repeated. “Even if its in the middle of the night, and if that happens you will use the floo to come directly to my quarters. The floo has been set up with a temporary password for this situation for you alone. The password is “fortis,” and after you say it, you will announce your destination as Snape’s quarters. Do not wander the halls at night, especially if you are hearing something you cannot see, is that clear?”

               “Yes, sir,” Harry said.

               “I mean it, Harry. You will not run headlong into danger seeking out whatever it is you are hearing. You will report to me immediately or to another teacher and failure to do so will result in severe consequences.”

               “I know,” Harry drawled out before adding a quick, “sir.”

               Severus gave a curt nod then started walking again, Harry quick to follow behind him. They headed for Gryffindor Tower, Severus keeping an eye out for any students meaning harm toward Harry. With the state of fear the castle was in, he would not be surprised if students decided to break the rules of no wand waving outside of class to defend themselves against the supposed Heir of Slytherin. Nothing exciting occurred during the short trip to the tower, though waiting outside the entrance, sitting on the cold floor with books cradled to her chest, was Giovanna, Harry’s first year friend from their hometown.

               “You’re late,” Giovanna said as she stood up. “You were going to help me with my potions essay this afternoon, remember?”

               “Ah,” Severus smirked, “a date with your girlfriend?”

               “Dad,” Harry hissed through his teeth. “We’re just friends.”

               “Yeah,” Giovanna agreed with a sly smile, “besides, I could do better.”

               “Yeah, she could—hey!” Harry glared at Giovanna.

               “You may help her with her essay but do not give Miss Bassani all the answers,” Severus said, falling quickly back into lecture mode. “I expect all my students to do the work themselves and actually learn from their homework.”

               “Yes, sir,” Harry and Giovanna said before the starting walking off for the library, chatting amiably about favorite classes so far and plans for the holidays.

               With a satisfied nod of his head, Severus turned and headed for his office, ready to research what he had learned so far about the Chamber of Secrets reopening. He wanted to solve this mystery before any more students fell victim to the petrification curse going around.

 

               “Where have you been?” Severus asked through clenched teeth as he stood blocking the entrance to the castle, ignoring the chilly night air as he glared at the two boys approaching the doors. He sneered at their mud-dusted robes and Ron’s shaky demeaner, crossing his arms over his chest and showing no signs of stepping aside to allow the boys to pass into the castle. Harry and Ron paused just a few feet in front of him, visibly gulping.

               This was the last thing Severus wanted to deal with: two miscreant children way out of bounds. With Dumbledore suspended, Hagrid arrested, and McGonagall taking over as acting headmistress, Severus had far too much on his plate in assisting where he could in managing the students. It did not escape his attention that Harry and Ronald were missing at dinner that night, and he had spent the better part of his evening searching for the two brats, and here they were, strutting up to the castle from heaven knows where.

               “Uhh, we were just . . .” Harry started stammering.

               “Not following spiders,” Ron said with a white face.

               Severus narrowed his eyes at the boys.

               “Funny, Ron,” Harry said with a shaky smile in a weak attempt to cover up whatever it was they were hiding. “We were going to visit Hagrid, but he’s gone now so we’re just going to head to bed now.”

               “Yeah, I could sleep forever,” Ron added with a smile of his own.

               “Oh, but of course,” Severus said, throwing a fake smile himself. “I wouldn’t want to impede on our hero’s beauty sleep, or that of his loyal subjects.  Might I suggest a spot of evening tea to help you relax before you two slumber—in my office. Now.”

               The two boys ducked past Severus and into the castle, quick to obey. Severus followed behind the boys at a brisk pace as they practically ran to his office, pausing outside the door and waiting for Severus to unlock it with a tap of his wand to the doorknob. Once inside, two chairs magically appeared in front of Severus’s desk, and Harry and Ron planted themselves into a seat with apprehensive looks. Severus wasted no time as he closed the door a bit loudly behind him and rounded on the kids.

               “Do you, gentlemen have any idea what time it is?” Severus demanded as he moved to stand in front of the boys, leaning back against his desk. “Well let me inform you that is well past curfew and you two should have been in your common room before the bell sounded. I have been looking for you since the start of dinner this evening and believe me when I say that if Professor McGonagall did not have the whole school to fuss over, she would have been pacing with worry searching for you boys as well. Unfortunately for you, you’re stuck with me, and no one is leaving this office until I get the truth from you. Where were you?”

               Harry and Ron found the top of their shoes very fascinating at this moment.

               “Answer me,” Severus growled.

               “We were visiting Hagrid,” Harry said softly after a few long seconds of tense silence. “But then Fudge, I mean, Minister Fudge showed up and arrested Hagrid.”

               “Students have not been permitted to roam freely as of yet,” Severus reminded, “nor are you allowed outside unless it is for a class or if you are under the direct supervision of an adult. Do you think we make these orders to hear ourselves talk? No. Until we get a handle on the Chamber of Secrets situation, you are expected to go nowhere else but your dorm, classes, and the Great Hall for meals. Absolutely nowhere else.”

               “Yes, sir.” Harry and Ron said at the same time.

               “Furthermore, Hagrid’s departure was two hours ago,” Severus said slowly, watching with satisfaction as Harry and Ron’s faces blanched even more. “So I’ll ask once more. Where were you?”

               Harry and Ron shared a look.

               “Well,” Ron started, “we were going to ask Hagrid something and . . .”

               “We thought maybe there was something in his hut that might give us a clue,” Harry finished when Ron stammered off. “We wanted to know about . . . err . . .”

               “Spiders,” Ron squeaked out.

               “What about spiders?” Severus asked, remembering Ron’s remark on “following spiders” earlier.

               “About why they’re running away from the castle,” Ron said in a way that almost sounded like a question.

               “I see. And did you find your answer?”

               “No,” Ron said in a similar way.

               “Why are you both so filthy?” Severus fired another question at the redhead. “Surely Hagrid’s hut, as disastrous as it may be, isn’t filled to the roof with mud?”

               “Well . . .”

               “And why take the long way back to the castle from Hagrid’s hut? Surely the cobblestone path is a more direct route to the school and safer I presume.”

               “It is, but . . .”

               “It wasn’t Hagrid,” Harry suddenly said. “He shouldn’t be in prison for this. It’s not his fault. He didn’t open the chamber.”

               “Of course, he didn’t, don’t you think the professors know that?” Severus snapped at Harry.

               “But then why—?”

               “Why was he arrested? Because we still do not have another suspect and parents outside of the school are panicking, and with every reason to. If not for the actions of the Ministry, this school would have already been permanently shut down. Not that I disagree with a temporary closure at this point, but that is beyond my control. What we are dealing with is serious and clearly life-threatening, and the last thing we need are two wayward students running around asking to be petrified.”

               “We weren’t asking for it,” Harry argued, “we’re trying to stop them. We thought Hagrid knew what the monster might be, and he told us to follow the spiders.”

               “And did you?” Severus already knew the answer to his own question, but he wanted to hear Harry confess to his wrongdoings. A sense of fear fell into his stomach like a block of ice, but he could clearly see Harry unharmed in front of him, so he tried to push the feeling away. He knew exactly what type of spiders lived in the forest.

               “Yeah, and Hagrid did have a monster, a spider, but it didn’t kill anyone. It said it fears the real monster and that it can’t even speak its name. So Hagrid is innocent. We have to tell Minister Fudge so he can release Hagrid from prison.”

               “The minister is not going to believe the words of a child much less information that came from a spider. Where exactly did you follow the spiders to?”

               Harry’s mouth snapped shut and he glanced at Ron before looking down at his shoes again. Ron was avoiding eye contact with Severus as well.

               “Err, not far from Hagrid’s hut,” Ron tried. “Just like a little into the forest.”

               “You mean the forbidden forest?” Severus reiterated.

               Ron swallowed audibly.

               Severus dragged a hand down his face tiredly before moving around his desk, scanning his shelves of potion vials, knick knacks, and books.

               “I believe I have all the information I need to appropriately punish you, Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley,” Severus said as he found the book he was looking for, a thick tome with a black cover and a thick layer of dust. He blew the dust away, sending a near black puff of particles into the air before he began flipping through the pages. “Unfortunately, with fewer staff than normal, I will have to modify your weeks’ worth of detentions around your schedule so I may resume my evening duties in keeping this school as safe. You have a free period every other day at two, do you not?”

               Harry and Ron nodded solemnly.

               “You will report to my classroom at that time every other day until I say otherwise for your detentions. We’ll see how scrubbing cauldrons and reorganizing the stock room keeps you boys out of trouble.”

               “Yes, sir,” they both said.

               Severus flicked through a few more pages of the book, studying the pages intently before settling on the one he was looking for. He moved in front of the boys and flipped the book around, holding it out for them to read.

               “Potter, if you would do the honors of reading aloud,” Severus said.

               Harry adjusted his glasses and leaned forward.

               “Of the many fearsome beats and monsters,” Harry read, “that roam our land, there is none more curious or more deadly than the Basilisk, known also as the King of Serpents. This Snake, which may reach gigantic size, and live many hundreds of years, is born from a chicken’s egg, hatched beneath a toad. It’s methods of killing are most wondrous, for aside from its deadly and venomous fangs, the basilisk has a murderous stare, and all who are fixed with the beam of its eyes shall suffer instant death. Spiders flee before the basilisk, for it is their mortal enemy, and the basilisk flees only from the crowing of the rooster, which it fatal to it.”

               Severus suddenly closed the book sharply, startling the boys.

               “You think that’s the monster?” Harry asked. “A basilisk.”

               “It is a suspicion,” Severus clarified. “Given that when staring into the eyes indirectly leads to petrification rather than instant death, your ability to hear a voice no one else can, and your gift in parseltongue, the professors and I believe we may very well be dealing with a basilisk. We have several plans moving forward to trap it and kill it, but as most studies prove, basilisks only attack humans under the control of a Parselmouth, we are still investigating what or who might be behind opening the chamber to begin with.”

               “I can help you find it,” Harry offered.

               “You will do no such thing,” Severus said with a shake of his head as he crossed his arms. “What an impetuous, absurd idea. You will leave this matter to the trained professionals, young man, or you will not like the consequences I’ll dish out.”

               “But only I can hear it. You’ll never find it without me.”

               “Your pomposity in this matter is nauseating,” Severus commented. He turned his eyes on Ron. “Remember, you will report to my classroom at two to spend your free periods in detention. You are dismissed. Use my floo to report directly to your common room.”

               Ron hesitated, looking back and forth between Harry and Severus. Harry gave Ron an encouraging smile and nod while Severus frowned and pointed at his fireplace.

               “Go, Mr. Weasley. It is late. Professor McGonagall will be made aware of your actions.”

               “Yes, sir. Goodnight, sir.”

               Ron scrambled over to the fireplace, sparing Harry one last concerned look before he flooed to the Gryffindor common room. Once they were alone, Severus had to resist the urge to start smacking Harry for his reckless behavior tonight.

               “Dad, please, I can help find the basilisk and then you and the other professors can get rid of it.”

               “No, Harry, and that’s final. You are not involving yourself with the basilisk, if that is even what we are dealing with. We have too many students petrified already, we cannot risk more being petrified and I for one cannot risk you.”

               “But if only I can hear it, then I have to—”

               “As I’ve told you before, if you hear the voices again, you will report directly to me or to another adult if I am not nearby. That is where your assist ends. You will not chase after this thing. You will not pursue it, trap it, or Merlin forbid, go on some grand adventure to slay it. Is that clear?”

               “Please, I’m just trying—”

               Before Harry could finish his sentence, Severus grabbed Harry’s upper arm and pulled the boy out of his seat, easily turning him around to land five hard smacks on his bottom. Harry hissed sharply and tried to arch out of Severus’s aim, but to no avail. Severus spun Harry around again and glared at his son, putting his face so close to Harry’s that they were nearly nose to nose.

               “I said, is that clear?”

               Harry sniffed, fighting back tears before he glared back at Severus.

               “Yes, sir,” he ground out.

               Severus narrowed his eyes, but he released Harry and leaned back against his desk.

               “I understand your desire to help, but it is far too risky for someone who barely knows a shield charm.”

               “We learned about it in Defense Against the Dark Arts.” Harry said, his voice a bit softer as he rubbed at his eyes, pushing his glasses up slightly, trying to make it seem like he was tired rather than brushing tears away.

               “Yes, with the magnificent Professor Lockhart instructing you,” Severus scoffed. “I’m sure the basilisk will tremble at a magically powerful smile.”

               Harry snorted, letting a short chuckle escape his lips. Severus smiled softly himself, then took in Harry’s actual tired state.

               “Come,” Severus said, directing Harry toward the door that led to their quarters. “It is nearing your bedtime, and you look exhausted.”

               “Can I go up to my dorm?” Harry asked.

               “No,” Severus said. “You and Mr. Weasley have caused enough trouble for one night. Besides, I still want to hear the whole truth about what happened in the forest tonight.”

               Harry jerked to a stop in the doorway. He looked up at Severus.

               “You’re not going to . . . you know . . . are you?”

               “Only if I feel it is absolutely warranted,” Severus answered honestly. Harry winced and didn’t move, and Severus couldn’t help the roll of his eyes. “I’ll keep in mind that I already dished out detentions to you and your partner in crime. Now, get to your room and dress for bed before I decide to take points as well.”

               Harry quickly headed for his bedroom, allowing Severus to close the door behind him. Severus waved his hand at the fireplace, causing a fire to roar to life and light up the room a bit more. He tapped the coffee table and a tea set appeared. He poured two cups, preparing Harry’s with a bit of milk and sugar just as he liked it before he made his own cup with no additions. Once Harry was dressed for bed, he rejoined Severus in the parlor, sitting next to Severus on the couch and grabbing the teacup waiting for him.

               “Thanks,” he muttered softly.

               Severus nodded, then cleared his throat pointedly.

               Harry took a sip of his tea, delaying the conversation.

               “Do not for one second think that this late-night excursion will be ignored,” Severus said.”

               “I don’t,” Harry said. He sighed as he set the cup down. “Before Hagrid was arrested, he told Ron and I to follow the spiders if we wanted answers about the real monster. So we did. I know we aren’t supposed to go into the forbidden forest, but we were just trying to get answers about what was going on in the school. Even Hermione is petrified now. We have to stop it. We took Fang with us.”

               Severus bit back a remark about how useful the cowardly dog was in dangerous situations and allowed Harry to continue is tale.

               “The spiders were crawling toward this huge spider nest where this monster spider lived. I guess Hagrid raised him from an egg and he was accused of being the Slytherin’s monster, but he told us that the monster was born in the school and that when the Chamber was opened, a muggleborn died in a bathroom. He said that spiders fear the monster, which I guess makes sense since spiders have a lot of eyes, and the basilisk can kill by just staring at you. Anyway, he said that while he was Hagrid’s friend, he can’t deny his children fresh meat, hen ordered all his kids to eat us. Ron and I managed to escape with the Ford Anglia we crashed earlier this year. It was like it was alive.”

               “The Forbidden Forest is a very magical place to the point that even charmed objects take on a life of their own if left within the trees long enough,” Severus explained. He took a long sip of his tea before adding, “It is also a very dangerous place with creatures willing to eat young, foolish boys, hence why it is forbidden.”

               “I know,” Harry said quickly. “I was juts trying to help.”

               “By becoming spider food? That is of absolutely no help to anyone.”

               “I was looking for answers.”

               “Answers you could have come to me for.”

               “You don’t tell me anything!”

               “I tell you what I feel is appropriate for you to know. You are twelve years old and my son, Harry, not my employer. And like it or not, there will be times when certain topics are not meant for your ears. I am doing everything in my blasted power to keep you safe and you run straight into the danger, every damn time. What will it take to get through your head that you do not have to be everyone’s hero?”

               “I’m not trying to be everyone’s hero. I’m just trying to help my friend.”

               Severus huffed before drawing in a deep breath through his nose, pinching the bridge of his nose at the same time. He clearly couldn’t break Harry of his hero complex. If only Harry wasn’t such a noble Gryffindor, maybe this conversation would already be over. He let out a slow breath, willing his temper to calm so he could continue a sensible conversation.  

               “There is a difference between helping your friend and being reckless,” Severus said slowly. “Putting your life in danger, getting yourself killed does not help your friend. Furthermore, it proves to me that you cannot be trusted to follow the strict protocols instilled to keep everyone safe in this school nor can you follow simple rules such as staying out of a forbidden location. As of now, you are grounded to these quarters until I can trust you to follow school rules again. You are permitted to class and to the Great Hall for meals, and with special permission you may visit the library, but other than that you will stay in these quarters until I say otherwise.”

               Harry pouted but said nothing.

               “You will also be writing me three feet on what forbidden means, and what locations around this school fit the definition. I expect it complete and handed in to me by tomorrow evening. You better remain on your best behavior, Harry, because any disobedience from you these next couple of weeks will land you over my knees so quickly your head will spin. Do we understand each other?”

               “Yes, sir,” Harry said.

               Severus rested a hand on Harry’s shoulder.

               “I know you are worried for Miss Granger,” Severus said in a softer tone, “but you cannot help her if you end up petrified, or worse, killed over something that could have been prevented. She cannot lose you, Harry. I cannot lose you either.”

               Harry leaned against his father, wrapping his arms around Severus’s chest.

               “I know,” Harry mumbled into Severus’s chest. “I wasn’t thinking about what could happen to me. I just wanted to help Hermione. I’m sorry.”

               “You’re forgiven,” Severus said, planting a kiss on Harry’s head. “I meant what I said. You are staying with me until you prove you can be trusted to keep yourself out of harm’s way.”

               Harry sighed but nodded against Severus. Severus ran a hand through Harry’s hair, then patted his son’s back.

               “It’s time for you to go to bed,” Severus said. “After the night you had, I’m sure you’re exhausted.”

               “Yeah,” Harry agreed, reluctantly pulling away. “Are you mad at me?”

               “I am not. I am just concerned for you and little disappointed in your behavior tonight.”

               “I really am sorry. I didn’t mean to make you lose your trust in me. Will you ever trust me again?”

               “If you behave and follow the rules like you are supposed to, I feel you’ll earn my trust back quite quickly. You can be a pretty well-behaved child when you want to be.”

               “I’m not child,” Harry complained.

               “And you can be an absolute brat when you want to be as well.”

               Harry smiled before standing and stretching with a yawn.

               “Night, Dad.”

               “Goodnight, Harry.”

               Harry headed down the hall to his room, leaving Severus to finish his tea in silence before vanishing the tea things to the kitchens to be washed. Severus couldn’t get the image of Harry running away from ginormous, hungry spiders out of his head, and he checked on Harry twice before he managed to retire to his own bedroom for the night. He wasn’t quite sure how to break Harry of his hero complex, or if he even could, but he knew he could be reliable in the consequences each and every time Harry did something foolish and life threatening. Harry would come to rely on that as well, and maybe he might start thinking twice before charging into the Forbidden Forest following spiders. Just maybe.