Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Adventure Awaits

The start of the weekend came, and while Severus would rather use his time to hunt down a sphinx, he knew he had to tend to writing up his finals for the students. It would be best to get those finished before he went on some crazy adventure that would take him an unprecedented amount of time. He couldn’t resist checking on the hunting compass every now and then to make sure it was all right. Call him paranoid, but that object was his future—his freedom.

While he wrote up an exam for his fifth years lying down in front of the coffee table, a knock at the door caught his attention. It was past sunset, so Severus grabbed his wand and cast a reveal charm at the door so he could see who was standing on the other side. If it was a student of a professor, he would spell a sign to appear that read: “P. Snape is out of the castle for the evening. Please leave your inquiries on a note and slip under the door or come back in the morning.”

It worked well, as most of the professors assumed, he was seeing family (not that he had any left), and the students just grumbled and walked away without so much as a thought more. The Slytherins were trickier, so he tried to pretend that there was a spell on the door that would answer any question his house may have for him while he was unavailable.  

The spell revealed Harry Potter. With a sigh of relief, Severus flicked his wand at the door, and it opened. Moony was off the chair and jumping around Harry’s feet as the boy entered, the wolf’s tail wagging. Harry gave the wolf some pats on the head as he shut the door.

               “Hi, Ajax,” Harry greeted as he sat down on the couch, looking down at the papers Severus was writing on. Moony sat down and rested his head on Harry’s knee. “What are you doing?”

               Severus narrowed his eyes at the boy. By now, he could normally expect the boy to be chatting a thousand words a minute about his day with his friends, annoying rivals, and unfair amounts of schoolwork. The boy was sitting politely on his couch and smiling at him. Severus’s ears pivoted back and he tilted his head at the boy.

               “What is it?” he asked knowingly.

               “What is what?” Harry smiled innocently.

               “You’re up to something,” Severus said slowly, enunciating each word. “You have that look and attitude about you, so you might as well as confess now.”

               “I’m not up to anything. I’m just wondering what you’re doing. That’s all.”

               “Mm-hmm,” Severus hummed with disbelief. “As it is nearly curfew, I have half a mind to give you detention for still wandering the near empty halls alone. The potions lab will look very clean and polished tomorrow morning . . .”

               Harry sighed, absently scratching behind one of Moony’s ears.

               “Okay, okay. I was really wondering if I . . . could spend the night?”

               “I do not think that would be wise. Your Head of House needs to know where you are. She will start a mass panic if she found one of you missing.”

               “Well, it’s not like she actually goes to each dorm and checks if everyone is still in bed. Besides, Ron and Hermione said they’d cover for me.”

               “Is that so? I suppose it wouldn’t hurt if you stayed here for one night. However, may I ask why you wish to be here?”

               “I wanted to bring you some company. And maybe get some hints about what’s on the final exam!”

               “Very funny.”

               “It was an honest try.” Moony smirked at Severus. “You gotta give him that.”

               “Quiet, mutt,” Severus told the wolf before looking at Harry. “If you wish to stay here, I suggest you ready for bed and I’ll set you up on the sofa. Are you sure you wouldn’t be more comfortable in your own bed?”

               “I’m sure,” Harry said, pulling off the bag he wore and digging into its contents. “I brought a blanket and a cloak in case I get extra cold.” Harry pulled out his pajamas and looked down the hall at the closed doors.

               “That will not happen under my watch,” Severus said, standing up and stretching all four legs before pointing out which door was the bathroom. “Second door on your right. Take care of your nightly needs while I get this settled.”

               Harry smiled and hopped up with his clothes and toothbrush. Severus hung the boy’s bag on the coat hanger by the door, then returned to the couch and laid a thick blanket down on the cushions. He set a pillow at one end and then summoned another lighter blanket, waiting for Harry to return. Moony had jumped back up on the armchair and was curled up, though he remained alert. Harry finally returned from the bathroom and yawned with an exaggerated stretch.

               “Thanks for letting me stay,” Harry said as he jumped on the couch and laid his head down on the pillow, setting his wand down on the coffee table.  

               “Do not make it a habit to venture down here this late in the evening,” Severus said even as he draped the blanket over Harry. “Should you encounter any professors who question you, I will not be able to come to your aid or even answer the door.”

               “I understand,” Harry said. “I won’t make it a habit. Can I go to sleep now?”

               “Watch your cheek,” Severus warned, narrowing his eyes. Severus tilted his head. “Are you sure you wouldn’t rather spend your Friday night staying up late playing silly adolescent games with your friends?”

               “No. I want to spend it right here. Maybe we can have a big breakfast tomorrow. It’s the most important meal of the day and Hermione says it’s good fuel for all the studying we’ll need to do.”

               “Smart girl.”

               “Yeah, she’s a good friend. Ron, too.”

               “As are you, Harry.”

Harry smiled and closed his eyes. Severus smiled softly and ran a hand through Harry’s hair before returning back to his place on the floor, gathering his legs comfortably under him so he could continue working on his test plans. Moony watched Harry breathe evenly from the chair, his ears perked and his eyes focused.

 

Harry kept his eyes open, but he stared at the back of the couch and focused on keeping his breathing even while he listened to Severus’s quill scratch away on parchment. Finally, the scratching stopped, and the centaur stood and set aside his work, the rustle of parchment loud in the quiet room. Harry closed his eyes when he heard the centaur move his way, and he kept them closed until Severus had stopped staring down at him and his hooves clicked carefully in the kitchen now.

Harry opened his eyes once more and listened as Moony lapped water and Severus drank from a glass. Harry licked his lips, feeling suddenly thirsty himself, but he ignored the feeling. There would be time for that later. He closed his eyes again when he heard Severus moving once more. He could sense the centaur hovering above him, and he held very still and hoped that his breathing resembled someone in a deep sleep.

Gentle fingers carding through his hair nearly made Harry jump out of his skin, but he managed to keep still. The biggest surprise was when he felt lips press against his temple in a warm kiss.

“He is such a good boy,” Severus whispered, caressing Harry’s cheek with a thumb. “He deserves better than those relatives he lives with.”

“I’m glad he found you,” Moony said. Harry heard the wolf’s soft thud when he jumped up on the chair once more. “You make him smile in ways I find that I cannot.”

“I wish I could do more for him,” Severus said, rising tall and stepping away. “I truly do.”

“What’s holding you back?”

               “Everything about me.”

               The conversation ended, and Harry opened his eyes when he heard Severus shuffle down to the floor to rest. He stared at the back of the couch, trying hard not to let tears escape his eyes. Never had he felt so loved and cared for by anyone. It reminded him of why it was imperative that he did what he had to do tonight—if only to prove that he belonged with Severus—his Ajax. He breathed slowly, waiting.

               Soon, the lights vanished and the only sound in the room was the roaring fire in the fireplace.

               Harry waited.

               He had to be sure Severus and Moony were asleep before he attempted anything. It would be difficult, considering that right now, both men were in a state of heightened senses. He stared at he back cushions, trying not to feel sleepy himself. He was so warm and comfortable, perhaps this whole thing could wait until tomorrow.

               Harry forced his eyes opened when he realized he was falling asleep. It could not wait until tomorrow. There was a plan in action now, and he had to follow through on his part. He decided to focus on the ticking of the clock in the living room while his eyes adjusted to the dark; counting the seconds to help him keep track of time, growing more awake by the second.

               By the time he counted three hundred seconds, he figured he waited long enough. He slowly shifted on the couch, turning over so he could see Severus and Moony. The coffee table had been pushed aside and Severus was lying on the ground with his legs gathered under him and his upper torso stretched out, his arms under his head for support. Harry thought it was the most uncomfortable position to sleep in, but the centaur did not seem distressed in his sleep. Harry glanced at Moony.

               It was hard to tell how deeply asleep the wolf was. Moony slept curled up on the couch, his head against the armrest, but his ears were alert, and his whiskers twitched. Harry stayed on the couch for another hundred seconds, listening to the clock. When no one moved, Harry slowly pulled the blanket off of him. He sat up on the couch, looking around for his bag. He spotted it hanging on the coat hanger. He could grab it on his way out.

               Harry stood, picked up his wand from the coffee table, and tiptoed to the bathroom, where he had taken off his trainers. He had kept his socks on, so all he had to do was slip his shoes back on. Once he had those on, he looked around for Severus’s study, slowly turning the knob and opening each door until he found the room he needed. He slipped inside, walking directly for the desk.

               With a soft “Alohomora,” the drawer clicked and opened, revealing the hunting compass.

               Harry only discovered where it was through Moony. The wolf was a chatterbox compared to Remus, who at least knew when to hold his tongue. It was strange that one could have an alter ego, and Harry was slowly discovering Teucer’s own personality the more he shifted into the foal.

               Picking up the hunting compass and slipping it into his pant pocket, Harry shut the drawer and moved away, jumping at the sight of the wolf in the study entryway.

               Moony snarled at Harry, then swung his head over toward Severus, his snarling growing louder before he looked back at Harry.

               Harry shook his head, giving Moony a pleading look.

               “Please,” Harry whispered. “Don’t wake him.”

               Moony’s growls softened, but he looked at Severus with a whine, his ears pivoting in different directions.

               “I have to go. I need to do this.”               

               Moony tilted his head at Harry, but he had not moved from where he blocked the only exit.

               “I am coming with you,” Moony said.

               Harry’s eyes widened. He opened his mouth to object then thought better of it. Moony could offer protection. It was a dangerous journey, and a werewolf would make anyone think twice before attacking. Harry nodded his head, and Moony stepped out of the way, allowing Harry to leave the study.

               Tiptoeing once more, Harry, with Moony at his heels, made his way behind the couch and to the coat hanger, where he grabbed his bag and slipped it on his back. He looked at the sleeping form of Ajax with a smile as he opened the door, letting Moony out first before closing it behind him with a click.  

               Out in the hall, Harry ran up the stairs, making it out of the dungeons and to his meet point near the Great Hall. He looked around for any patrolling professors, Moony taking the hint and keeping an ear out as well, glancing around new halls before allowing Harry to run down them.

               They made it to the Great Hall doors, which were closed. Harry sat his bag down and pulled out his clothes from earlier, slipping them on while Moony waited.

               The wolf nearly jumped five feet in the air when Hermione and Ron pulled the invisibility cloak off. Moony snarled at the other two children.

               “Easy,” Harry said, putting a hand on the wolf’s back. “Sorry about the scare.”

               “Moony is coming?” Hermione asked. Her brows were furrowed. “Did you tell him the plan?”

               “No, he caught me,” Harry answered.

               “I told you,” Ron said, “I told you there was no way you could sneak around a werewolf and a centaur without one of them noticing what you were doing.”

               “Don’t worry,” Harry said. “Moony’s on our side. He’s coming to help us.” Harry now had an extra layer of clothes on and he took his invisibility cloak from Ron and stuffed it in his bag, which also had a thick blanket. Moony noted the other three had bags as well, and he could smell that one of the children had stuffed it with food. So these children really had prepared for a long trip.  

               “You’re lucky Ajax wasn’t the one who caught you,” Hermione said, her hands on her hips. “This whole idea is ridiculous! And just how are we getting to Egypt when the Knight Bus has taken us as far as it will?”

               “I told you,” Ron said with a roll of his eyes, “I will floo call my brother when we reach our destination and he will give us the password to the floo at the nearest inn where he lives. He won’t turn away family.”

               “And who’s paying for that kind of floo travel?”

               “I am,” Harry said. “We’ve discussed this already, Hermione. I have enough on me for that trip.”

               “We haven’t gone over the financial concerns of everything. We only went over the main plan. And how on earth are we getting the sphinx back here!?”

               “Uh . . .” Harry looked off to the side. “We’ll figure that out when we get to it.”

               “You three have really thought this through, haven’t you?” Moony asked, his ears flattening. “I’m starting to think I should go back and wake Ajax before you even make it past the apparition wards.”

               “Please, don’t,” Harry pleaded. “We have to at least try something. Ajax deserved better than what he has. We have to help him break this curse once and for all.”

               “Are we ready?” Hermione asked, holding her hand out for the compass.

               Harry fished it out of his pocket and handed it to Hermione. Everyone gathered close as they watched her pull the dial until the picture in the middle of the small gold sphere was a sphinx, then she tapped the picture with the tip of her wand.

               The compass began to glow a golden color as the small arrow at the top began to spin faster and faster around the object. Finally, the arrow stopped, pointing straight as the gold glow around the sphinx morphed into a dark image of a forestry scene. Among the trees, a sphinx was slowly zigzagging through, looking around cautiously. Words appeared at the bottom of the image: Forbidden Forest, Highlands, Scotland.

               “There’s a sphinx in the Forbidden Forest?” Hermione gasped. “Now?”

               “This is unbelievable,” Moony said, shaking his head.

               “This is destiny!” Ron said. “We have to find that one!”

               “But what is a sphinx doing so far away from its homeland?” Hermione frowned as she watched the image fade and a golden trail emitted from the device, leading the way.

               “I don’t know,” Harry said, taking a step after the trail. “But we’re going to find out.”

 

               Severus’s eyes slowly fluttered open. It was still dark, and the clock rang three am. He yawned and adjusted his head against his arms, glancing at the couch with a small smile.

               The couch was empty and the blanket disheveled.

               Springing to his feet, Severus looked at the chair to see that Moony was also missing. Severus paced his living room before checking his kitchen, then the bathroom. He noted that every door was cracked open the slightest: the lab door, his bedroom door, the bathroom door. But his study door, was wide open. Severus’s eyes widened in realization.

               “No.” He shook his head as he charged into the room, finding his top drawer unlocked. He yanked it open and dug through its contents. “No, no!”

               Summoning his wand, he demanded, “Point me, Harry Potter!”

               His wand immediately began tugging toward his quarters door and he trotted for it, snatching his cloak and turn-out blanket on his way out. He strapped the blanket to himself with a flick of his wand and threw his cloak over his shoulders and clasped it. He climbed up the stairs as fast he dared to avoid slipping or missing a step and trotted down the halls toward the entryway when he heard a low voice.

               The voice reminded him of his current form, and he backed into a classroom and listened, his ears flicking impatiently. How could he have let Harry slip by him like that? How could he have been so foolish to fall into the boy’s plan? He had known from the moment the boy had walked through his door that the child was up to something. He should have sent the boy back to his dorm. Severus felt anger rising in his chest, anger at Harry, at Moony for running off with the child, and at himself for allowing any of this to happen. When he caught up to that brat . . .

               The voice echoed in the hall, coming closer to the classroom Severus was hiding in. It sounded like Filch, and Severus casually flicked his wand, creating a charm that mimicked children’s laughter. The charm sounded at the other end of the hall, and he heard Filch run after it, his cat hissing loudly.

Severus waited until there was silence for a long few minutes before he stepped out of the classroom. Another feeling had slowly replaced the anger in his chest, and its surprised Severus. He felt hurt by the boy’s actions; that the child had used him in order to get the hunting compass and sneak out of his quarters. He felt upset with the child that instead of talking about any future plans with the compass, Harry had simply decided to use it on his own to track down a sphinx, and Moony had gone with the boy, neither thinking of the dangers that may await them.

What if they succeeded in finding a sphinx? And what if that same sphinx cursed them with something worse than turning into a centaur every night? What if they were cursed to sink in quicksand for all eternity, trapped and lost to the world? What if Remus was cursed and he attacked Harry? A thousand scenarios were running through Severus’s head as fear now took its hold on Severus.

Taking a deep breath, Severus shook out his mane and pawed the rough ground before trotting down the hall. He made it to the entrance and left quickly before anyone else decided it was never too early for a stroll. Severus focused on his wand for a moment, feeling its tug direct him toward the forest.

               He frowned. He was sure Harry would have searched for a nearby village in order to travel south in the direction of Egypt. Why on earth would they go into the Forbidden forest. Severus knew the forest well, so with confidence, he galloped full speed ahead.

               For nearly an hour he galloped, following the tug on his wand as it grew stronger and stronger. The morning air chilled his hair and froze his face, but he ignored it all in hopes of catching up to Harry and Moony before they did something ridiculously daft. Another few minutes, and he could hear the crunching of leaves under feet and quiet laughter.

               Relief flooded his brain, and with a deep sigh, he allowed himself to slow to a canter. He heard three children shush each other and Moony’s snarls broke through the beats of his hooves. Severus grunted as he burst into a small clearing and slid to a halt.

               Moony stood in front of Harry, Hermione, and Ron protectively, his fur bristled, but his hackles were falling already, and he had lowered himself a bit at the sight of Severus, his ears dropping.

               “Severus, before you say anything, I can—” Moony began, stepping forward.  

               “I do not want to hear it from you,” Severus said, every emotion he had felt earlier rushing through him at once when his eyes met Harry’s. He pointed a stern finger at Harry, then pointed it down at the ground in front of him. “You. To me!”

               Harry gulped and pushed past his friends and Moony, walking up bravely to the irate centaur. Everyone was surprised when Severus grabbed Harry’s arm and landed two hard swats to the boy’s bottom. Harry yelped more in surprise than in pain, and he reached back to rub the sting, his cheeks red as he avoided looking at anyone, finding Severus’s hooves very fascinating.

               “You have five seconds to explain to me what was going through your head to think that this would be okay. Out after curfew, stealing the hunting compass, sneaking out of Hogwarts and running off into the forbidden—I’ll repeat, forbidden forest!”

               “Why do you do that?” Harry asked, still blushing furiously. “You can’t just go around smacking me all the time, like that, you know.”

               “I disagree,” Severus retorted. “You are my foal now, whether you like that or not, and I have every right to smack some sense back into you.”

               “You mean that?” Harry asked, a large smile spreading across his face.

               Severus realized how far off topic they had gotten, and he narrowed his eyes at the boy’s grin.

               “Put the distraught face back on, you’re being punished,” he said irritably.

               “Sorry.” Harry faked a pout.

               Severus sighed. With a serious look down at Harry, he said, “I am very disappointed that you lied to me, young man.”

               Harry’s pout dropped as his jaw dropped and his eyes saddened. He wanted to say something, but Severus already walked past him and glared down at Moony. The wolf sat down expectantly, waiting for the tongue lashing he knew was coming.

               “This has got to be the most immature thing you’ve done, Moony,” Severus said. “I cannot believe that you of all people would actually go along with this ridiculous plan of tracking down a sphinx and in the Forbidden forest? Why didn’t you alert me when Harry took the compass?”

               “I was going to,” Moony answered calmly. “But you didn’t see Harry when I caught him. He was so upset that his plan was about to fail and so determined to help you. I didn’t think this would take us into the Forbidden Forest, but lucky you, Severus, there’s a sphinx travelling in this forest right now. Not far either. Perhaps another ten miles or so. She’s moving toward us and we toward her. This could be your chance.”

               “I do not need three first years to break my curse for me. They couldn’t anyway. What you three are doing is against so many rules you’re risking expulsion.” Severus glared at the children.

               Harry, Hermione and Ron were staring at the top of their shoes, all three choosing their right to remain silent.

               “And you,” Severus said, looking back at Remus, “might find yourself sharing Fang’s doghouse.”

               Moony rolled his eyes, quite a feat for a wolf.

               “Look,” Moony said, standing and walking over to Harry. “I don’t really like this either; and I had every intention of turning these children around should things get too serious. I didn’t actually think we’d make it this far or actually locate a sphinx like this.” The three kids were giving Moony looks of disbelief and betrayal. “But there is one in this forest. Why it is here is beyond me, but this couldn’t be more kismet. These kids are on to something, and I think you should follow that compass and find this sphinx and answer the curse’s riddle.”

               Severus looked at the gold trail leading deeper into the forest. He looked at the chastised children and back in the direction of Hogwarts. He wanted nothing more than to deliver the children back to the castle, but if Moony was right and there was a sphinx in the forest moving in their direction, he didn’t want to miss it. But he also didn’t want to risk the children’s lives by keeping them with him. He glanced back at the trail and began to pace, pawing the ground now and then.

               If he kept the students close, himself and Moony should be able to protect them from anything that came their way. And Severus would be human soon, and he could use his wand more effectively then. He paused and his eyes met Harry’s.

               Harry’s eyes seemed watery, but the boy blinked and looked away, avoiding Severus’s gaze. While the man felt guilty for being the reason Harry seemed so upset, he did not regret his words to the boy. The child needed to understand how serious this was, and his words seemed to have gotten through to the boy.

               Sighing, Severus made a decision.

               “I am not happy about this,” he said, walking toward the group. “However, seeing as we are far from the castle and this sphinx is quite convenient, we will all travel together, stay close, and you will all obey Moony and I.”

               “Yes, sir,” the three kids chorused.

               Severus rubbed his face and looked up, his eyes widening at the sunrise streaking through the trees. He cursed under his breath and pulled off the blanket he was wearing, transfiguring it into a rope. He felt the shift in his muscles begin.

               “Oh no,” Moony said knowingly, “children shield your eyes.”

               Everyone’s eyes widened and they slapped their hands over their eyes. Severus sent Moony an annoyed look while he shifted back into his human self, throwing the robe on quickly. He snapped his fingers and his boots appeared in front of him and he slipped his feet into them. Moony gave everyone the okay, but they still slowly lowered their hands.

               “I suppose we should get going,” Severus said.

               Moony happily led the way, followed by Hermione and Ron. Harry slowly walked so that he brought up the rear along with Severus, walking at the man’s side.

               “I’m sorry I lied to you,” Harry said, looking up at Severus. “I didn’t even think of it that way when I asked to spend the night.”

               “You knew you would not be staying the whole night. You had this entire plan up your sleeves, and you kept that from me and used me as an excuse to get your hands on that compass. How do you expect me to feel after that?”

               “I didn’t want to hurt you. I just wanted to help break the curse and maybe you’d let me stay with you.”

               Severus stopped midstep, catching Harry by the shoulder to stop him to.

               “Is that what all this was about?”

               “Well,” Harry began, kicking a stone, “Hermione and Ron think its about the curse only. I didn’t tell them about . . . you know, my relatives and all. I was just really hoping that if the curse is the only reason you won’t let me—”

               “I must stop you there,” Severus said. “That is not the only reason I cannot take you in. There are legal issues as well.”

               “You live in Prince Manor, right?”

               “Yes.”

               “Hermione looked into Prince Manor. She read in a book that the place is a mysterious manor few have ever had the privilege of gracing. The Princes warded off their home from the outside world, and it’s become unplottable. It happened because of the curse, right?”

               “It did. What does this have to do with anything?”

               “I would be safe with you. No one would be able to find us, and no one would have to know that I’m not with my relatives.”

               “Again with the kidnapping . . .”

               “It’s not kidnapping though if we both agree and who’s going to know? No one checked on me my whole life and no one is about to start doing it now. Please, you can’t make me go back to the Dursleys. Not after everything we’ve been through.”

               “How about this?” Severus began walking again to catch up to the others. “I will speak to the headmaster about your request, and we will see if we can come to an agreement.”

               “I already asked Professor Dumbledore if I could stay somewhere else, even if just at Hogwarts. He said no.”

               “I haven’t spoken with him yet. But I will make no promises that I will not get the same answer.”

               “Okay,” Harry said, walking closer to the man and leaning against him. “Thanks.”

               “Don’t thank me yet,” Severus said, wrapping an arm around Harry’s shoulder, giving the child a light squeeze. “When we get back, you and your accomplices are going to serve several detentions with me until you board the Hogwarts Express.”

               Harry slumped his shoulder, but nodded his head, nonetheless.