Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Things That Go Bump In The Night 2

               “What do we do, Harry?” Draco asked as all three kids stared out at the hundreds of grinning fear deargs, all dressed in red and looking much like the devils they were. Harry rubbed his eyes and groaned before opening them and straining to make out the details. There were several game trails leading in all sorts of directions, and any one of them could lead out of the forest they were in, or deeper into fear dearg territory. Harry squinted around before he pointed at the nearest trail.

               “We need to get out of here,” Harry said.

               “I don’t think they’re gonna let us leave,” Ollie said.

               “Well, they’re not doing anything right now but staring at us.”

               As soon as the last word was out of his mouth, all three boys felt the ground crumble beneath their feet, and they fell to the ground and slid down a short hill. The small elvish creatures laughed maniacally.

               “My bad,” Harry said with a groan. The boys pushed themselves back up, watching warily as four fear deargs stepped closer with slow steps and intent looks. They peered closely at the boys, then whispered among each other in a strange guttural language. After a short conversation, the four chuckled darkly before motioning to the others surrounding the boys.

               Several of the creatures jumped forward and began digging in a circle around the boy, and they moved so quickly that before the boys could even blink, they were surrounded by a deep moat several feet wide. Ollie leaned forward and looked down.

               “Yep,” he said, “that’s a long fall.”           

               “Great,” Draco huffed as he crossed his arms, “we’re trapped again.”

               “I don’t get what they want with us,” Harry said. “I wish we could understand what they were saying.”

               Ollie frowned, studying the moat and the ground around them. He spotted several fallen branches and logs and flicked his wrist at a few and jerked his hand toward himself. Several old branches began tumbling toward him while he motioned to a large log to come his way, and slowly, the log shifted back and forth before finally rolling toward the three boys. Draco watched mildly impressed as Ollie managed to position the log across the moat while using several branches to patch up the holes and soggy points along the log.

               Ollie gently pushed a foot down on the log, feeling for any give, and when he did not break through, he stepped up on the log.

               “Okay, I think it’s safe to cross. Harry, give me your hand. Draco, take his other hand.”

               The boys did as Ollie said and slowly, they carefully crossed the log until they were safely on the other side, no longer surrounded by a never-ending trench.

               “Nice job, Ollie,” Harry praised, patting his friend’s back.

               Suddenly, the fear deargs burst into cheers and laughter, screeching, yowling, and clapping. The boys frowned at the display, but before they could do anything more, several more rushed forward with rope, running around the boys’ legs before tugging, which caused the rope to tighten and snap the kids’ legs together, knocking them to the ground.

Two of the creatures made quick work of tying the boys’ hands in tight knots before jumping away. They creatures continued cheering, clapping, and stomping their feet.

“They’re getting a kick out of us using magic,” Draco said as he struggled against the rope. “That’s what they want out of us—entertainment! And we’re the main act. This is a joke.”  

“I can’t break free,” Harry growled under his breath as he struggled against the rope. “Ollie, think you can get us out of this one?”

“No, I need my hands,” Ollie said as he tried to free his hands from the tight knots. I can’t get them free.”

               “When I get out of this, I’m going to smash those ugly toads!” Draco shouted before growling and thrashing against the rope.

               “I don’t get how they can move so fast!” Harry said.

               “Must be part of their magic,” Draco muttered as he focused on trying to break free. Draco paused and glared over at Harry as best as he could. “Can’t you apparate?”

               “I need to run to do it.”

               “But do you though?”

               “Well . . . I’ve never tried apparating while sitting still and Dad says I shouldn’t . . .”

               “I feel like he’d excuse this.”

               “I’m gonna agree with Draco on that one,” Ollie said.

               “Okay, okay, I’ll try. Maybe if I picture myself running away, I can do it.”

               Harry closed his eyes, envisioning himself running through the trees as fast as he could and then willing himself to disappear. He waited, holding his breath.

               Nothing happened.

               Taking a deep breath, Harry really focused on what it felt like to run, the wind on his face, the leaves brushing up against his arms and legs, his heart picking up pace—he was so close, he could feel it now, all he had to do was will himself to disappear and . . .

               Nothing.

               “I can’t do it,” Harry whined.

               The fear deargs had slowly quieted down at the lack of activity, and a growl started to fill the forest as teeth were bared and the thick hair on the deargs rose. A few of them stepped closer in threatening manners.

               “Well, you better figure it out,” Draco cried. “I think we’re making them angry.”

               “I can’t, I can’t do it tied up like this!”

               “Yes, you can,” Ollie encouraged. “You can do it. You have to believe in yourself.”

               “I know I can do it if I run, but I can’t like this.”

               “Maybe it’s the running, maybe it’s the emotions you’re feeling when you’re running. Feel something! You have to get us out.”

               “I don’t know what I usually feel.”

               “When have you ever apparated before?” Draco asked. “To Severus, right? Trying to find him or getting away from danger, like the Dursleys. This is danger, we’re in danger and they’re going to kill us if you don’t get us out.”

               Harry felt tears in his eyes as he failed again at apparating, frustration brewing inside him as the growling picked up in the forest and his friends kept yelling their encouragements that were really not helpful. He ground his teeth together, wishing he could raise his hands and cover his ears to stop all the noise. Instead, all he could do was clench his fists as he wished for an easier way to save his friends from these devilish monsters.

               “Stop!” Harry screamed. “I said I can’t do it!”

               There was a loud snap and Harry choked as his breath was sucked out of him and he felt himself hit the ground hard as he fell backward into the forest. As he caught his breath, tears flooded his eyes as he cried out and clutched at his arm, blood pouring from a large slash wound.

               “Harry, are you okay” Draco asked loudly above the roar of applause and laughter from the fear deargs.

               “No, I’m hurt. I think . . . I think it was from apparating.”

               “You might be splinched,” Draco said. “Free us quickly and I can help.”

               Harry shakily stood to his feet and stumbled toward the blur that was his friends. He fell forward but caught himself at the last minute and managed to land on his hands and knees. His head spun as he crawled forward and felt around for the knots. A fear dearg had already tightened the rope around Draco’s and Ollie’s legs, just to make things more difficult, of course.

               Trying to untie complicated knots blind was not easy. Trying to do that while bleeding everywhere made it twice as difficult, and Harry felt tears fall from his eyes as he fell back, unable to free his friends.

               “It’s okay, Harry,” Ollie said. “Maybe try cutting us loose with a sharp rock? Here, I think I see one. I’m going to try and pull it toward us with just my eyes and fingertips.”

               Harry tried to put pressure on his wound, but it really hurt, and he was getting so lightheaded. Maybe he could put his head down for just a minute.

               “Harry? Harry!”

               Harry jerked his eyes open at Ollie’s call.

               “Reach forward, a little to your left, I got the rock.”

               Harry did as Ollie said and felt the rock in question. He started cutting at the rope as fast as his weakened arms would allow him and he managed to cut Draco’s hands free first before he fell over, his head landing in cushioned crumpled leaves. Draco shook the rope off and grabbed the rock to cut his legs free, then cut Ollie’s hands free.

               The fear deargs were having the time of their lives as they chanted and leaped around. Ollie glared at them as he kept a lookout while Draco crawled over to Harry, patting his cheek to stir his friend.

               “Mmm,” Harry groaned.

               “I’ve never healed a wound like this before,” Draco said, turning Harry slightly to get a better look at it. “This might take a minute. Do you think you can amuse our kidnappers while I do it?”

               Ollie looked around the trees at the audience of fear deargs. He shrugged.

               “I’ll give it my best.”

 

               Meanwhile, Severus paced the living room at MacAuley estate while aurors and Magical Creatures Control negotiated with a fear dearg one of the officers managed to capture on the edge of the forest. So far, the fear dearg agreed to take back the changelings that had morphed back into their previous states, but that was all the aurors and officers had managed to accomplish. The delay was killing Severus and he wanted nothing more than to torture the ugly beast with a cruciatus curse until it broke and told him where his boys were.

               He nearly acted on his impulse too as he stormed over to the table where the negotiations were taking place.

               “Whoa, easy, sir,” an auror said, jumping in his way and holding a hand up. “I’m afraid I cannot let you involve yourself with this.”

               “I need to find my son and his friends,” Severus insisted.

               “I understand, but we are doing everything in our power to resolve this situation.”

               “They could be torturing them as we speak!”     

               “I understand your frustrations and fear, but we need the fear dearg to cooperate with us if we are going to find the boys. We cannot use brute force or harm if we wish to find the boys alive. Do you understand what I am saying, sir?”

               “Yes, I understand,” Severus growled at the auror, his fists clenching to avoid shooting a curse at the elf creature from where he stood. He returned to pacing the living room. Eileen and Peadar were out of the house watching for signs from the fire ghosts. Shandy and Finn waited in front of the fireplace with sad faces, disappointed in themselves for being unable to pick up any scents. Miss Trifle thumped her feet agitatedly in the living room, and Severus paused to reach down and pet her.

               “I know, Miss Trifle, I miss Harry, too. I’m afraid without any leads, there’s nothing we can do but hope the fear dearg tells us where his clan are holding the boys or for one of the birds to come back with a location. If there was anything else I could do, trust me, I would be doing it.”

               Miss Trifle flicked her head, shaking the ribbons of her pink bow, and then thumped one of her feet again, looking up at Severus.

               Severus stroked the rabbit again soothingly, hoping to calm her nerves. Then, he went back to pacing, pulling his wand from his sleeve, and twirling it in his fingers as he thought of any spells that might be of use in this situation. Locator charms had failed so what about presence reveal spells—but those only worked within a mile radius and if the boys were farther than that, it would be wasted energy and time. And clearly, since the birds had not returned, the boys were far away.

               Miss Trifle gave an annoyed huff at Severus, but he paid her no attention as he remained lost in his own head. Miss Trifle shuffled over to the fireplace, standing in front of the dogs, who lifted their heads and watched her as she turned to face Severus.

               She thumped her foot loudly and repetitively.

               It took a moment, but Severus finally glanced in the direction of the noise. Miss Trifle kept thumping until Severus walked in her direction with a curious look. Finally, she stopped thumping and twitched her nose at Severus.

               “What are you doing?” Severus questioned, hardly believing he was asking a genuine question to the rabbit.

               Miss Trifle sighed through her nose, then lifted her ears straight up. Shandy and Finn tilted their heads at her, then looked up. Severus blinked, then slowly looked up as well until his eyes fell directly on the fairy in stone figurine.

               Severus stared at it for a minute before an idea hit him, and he rushed forward and grabbed the statue.

               “This is genius,” he said softly, then he looked down at Miss Trifle, who was still staring up at him with big eyes. He snorted. “You’re becoming quite the little familiar.”

               One of Miss Trifle’s ears tilted off to the side as she thumped her foot twice. Severus took that as a “you’re welcome,” and he ran outside with the dogs at his heel. He looked around for his parents, but when he did not immediately see them, he ran for the barn. Peadar was tending to one of the mares and her foal and Eileen was standing outside the stall talking with Peadar when she noticed Severus.

               “Mother,” Severus began, coming to a quick halt in front of her, startling her slightly. “This fairy, she can find us no matter where we are, right?”

               “As long as you are of Prince heritage, then yes, she theoretically could.”

               “That’s how she found Harry and I at the hotel and bonded us. She could find Harry.”

               “I’m not sure if adoption . . .”

               “I’ve named Harry as my heir, that’s enough for heritage, right? And in time of need, she will assist.”

               “Severus, I’m really not sure if she will look for Harry or not. This is ancient magic that follows ancient rules and as much as we all love Harry, I think blood ties are needed for such old magic. Don’t you think she would have already been looking for Harry? This is time of need, after all.”

               “Maybe I can ask her to. Come on, she took a horcrux for Harry. Maybe all I have to do is ask her and then she’ll help us.”

               Eileen shared a look with Peadar, who shrugged his shoulders. Eileen sighed and looked back at Severus.

               “Only one way to find out,” she said.

               Severus took a deep breath and lifted the stone and spoke gently.

               “Please, ancient and mystical fairy of the stone, you’ve helped us many times before, so many times. I need your help now to find my son. He’s in danger, mortal danger potentially, and we need to find him as quickly as possible. Will you please help me, help us, help him?”

               The stone remained still.

               “Please, fairy,” Severus pleaded. “There must be some way, some law, that lets you help me if not my son. I need your help. Harry needs your help. You took dark magic away from our lives. You protect us. I need you to protect him too.”

               Before the last sentence was even out of Severus’s mouth, the stone began to glow a light silvery blue. Shandy and Finn barked at the stone, spinning in circles and jumping on two as the glow brightened before fading away.

               Very slowly, a small spirit fairy dressed in blue petals emerged from the head of the stone, her hands clasped behind her back and her small wings fluttering just the slightest as she stared up at Severus with a serious face. She hovered over her stone for a moment before smiling softly and nodding her head once.

               “Oh, thank merlin,” Severus cried, setting the stone down gently on a stall door. “Thank you, thank you so much. Do you know where he is?”

               The fairy closed her eyes and began to glow, then she nodded her head with a smile. She flew toward the barn door, beaconing everyone to follow her before shapeshifting into a little blue dragon and taking off into the night.

               Peadar whistled sharply, and Shandy and Finn took off after the fairy, barking loudly to lead the way, Severus, Eileen, and Peadar chasing after the dogs and the fairy. An Auror shouted to them from the house, and Peadar called to them: “We have a lead, you might want to follow us!”

               They ran across open fields and crops, heading for the trees in the far back of the fields, the little dragon leading the way, pausing only once to wince as her blue light turned black for a brief second.

              

               Draco ran his hands over Harry’s arm in small circles, closing the last of the splinch wound, but Harry was still very lightheaded. Draco was covered in sweat, having never performed such a large amount of magic before, and he panted for a minute before resting his hands on Harry’s chest, hoping to offer some healing internally for Harry. Maybe blood loss was why Harry was still so out of it? He had bled a lot while Draco slowly closed the wound, and the ground underneath Harry was painted red.

               “How’s Harry?” Ollie asked as he kept a heavy rock hovering in the air above him.

               “His arm is fixed but he’s not great. He’s pale and really out of it. I have to try and heal him internally, I think. How’s the audience?”

               “Err, it’s a tough crowd.”

               The fear deargs stomped their feet and shrieked angrily at the three kids, and growls filled the trees as they moved closer, taking small pleasures in tripping Ollie or throwing more rocks and sticks at the child while Ollie tried to move or hover items. Some of the deargs had enjoyed watching Draco heal Harry, but most were unimpressed with the show, and were impatient for something more.

               “I think they’re bored,” Ollie said.

               “Well, it’s not like they paid for the show,” Draco snapped. “Keep them distracted a little longer.”

               “I’m getting kind of tired, Draco,” Ollie said.

               “I know, me too. You’re doing great. Your magical control is really impressive.”

               “You mean that?”

               “Yeah, I do. So keep it up.”
               Ollie smirked at Draco’s evasive tone from the compliment and decided to try a new trick for the fear deargs. He kicked at a large log to loosen it from the ground and then pushed forward with his hands. The log began tumbling around the trees, and like a video game controller, Ollie mover his hands in the direction he wanted the log to go.

               The growls turned into shouts of alarm as the log came crashing toward groups of the deargs, and they all leaped out of the way to avoid getting trampled. A few were unlucky and were toppled over like bowling pins.

               “Strike!” Ollie shouted, fist pumping the air.

               The fear deargs stared down at their fallen comrades, but instead of lashing out at Ollie, they began applauding and laughing once more.

               Ollie grinned as he directed the log to roll toward more groups, who all jumped out of the way, though some crueler ones pushed their fellow deargs into the path of the log. There was more applauding, stomping, laughing and less growling.

               Draco waved small circles over Harry, hoping that a generic heal would somehow fix Harry.

               “Please, Harry. Wake up. I’m doing the best I can.”          

               Harry did not stir.

               Draco fought back tears he could feel welling in his eyes and he focused on his magic, though every bit of him was drained and weak from the advanced healing he had done to stop Harry’s bleeding. Draco took a deep breath and frowned with renewed intent, and he willed the last of his healing magic into Harry, causing a flash of purple light that seemed to ricochet off Harry.
               Draco cried out as he fell forward, nearly collapsing on top of Harry, but he caught himself in time. He was spent from all the magic he had used, and he wasn’t sure it had been enough. Harry was still pale and listless and now he felt so cold. This was all his fault! If he hadn’t pushed Harry to apparate, he would still be okay, and they would all be tied up still—maybe dearg food but Harry wouldn’t look so dead.

               “I’m sorry, Harry,” Draco cried, too exhausted to hide his tears. “I really tried.”

               “It’s okay,” Harry whispered, his eyes still closed. “I know you tried. I feel a little better.”

               “Harry!” Draco hugged Harry in a tight grip before quickly letting go and awkwardly saying, “Err, glad you’re feeling better.”

               Harry laughed weakly before slowly pushing himself up and holding his head in his hand, groaning. Draco helped Harry stand up and waited until Harry wasn’t so wobbly before letting go.

               Ollie slowly backed up to stand next to them, his hands slowly lowering.

               “They’re not liking my roller log game anymore,” Ollie said sadly.

               The fear deargs were snarling and smacking the ground aggressively as they advanced on the kids, who backed away slowly, all three out of energy and completely drained.

               “I got thinking,” Ollie whispered, “if this is how they treat wizard kids, what do you think they do to muggle kids?”

               “I guess we’re about to find out,” Draco said.

               “I need to reach Dad,” Harry said, closing his eyes and rubbing his head.

               “Don’t push it, Harry,” Ollie said, “You almost bled out.”

               The fear deargs spoke in a strange tongue before the nearest one charge for the kids.

               A fire ghost dove out of the trees and snatched the fear dearg in its talons before it could touch the kids, flying off with the struggling creature before dropping it into the trees.

               That sent all the fear deargs into a fury as several charged the kids at once while others began throwing sticks and stones at the bird. The fire ghost let out a loud shrill that echoed through the trees as it dove into the trees once more before diving in a spin and knocking over several deargs that were chasing the three boys, who had taken off in a run.

               More fire ghosts appeared in the sky and attacked the fear deargs, snatching and throwing some, pecking others into the ground, and playing catch in the sky with a few others.

               Harry, Draco and Ollie ran as fast as they could, though Harry was having trouble with even short bursts of running, and he stopped every few seconds to catch his breath and keep himself from falling over.

               “It’s okay,” Ollie said, “It doesn’t look like we’re being followed.”

               “Catch your breath,” Draco said to Harry even as he himself was leaning over, hands on his knees, and panting. “Then we’ll keep going.”

               After a minute, Draco reached out to brush some shrubbery aside, only to yank his hand back quickly.

               “Ow!” he cried, seizing his hand that now bled from several punctures.

               A fear dearg stepped out of the bushes, snarling at the boys, looking delighted that it had tasted Draco’s flesh.

               Ollie put a protective arm out over Harry and Draco as he backed away, pushing his friends back as well, his other hand raised and ready to make something move, but the rest of Ollie was too exhausted to even register his magic. The fear dearg was joined by six more, and they circled the boys, trapping them once more.

               As a fear dearg raised a clawed hand to slash at Ollie, a little blue dragon dove in between them and snarled at the dearg, who swatted at the dragon, but it flew out of his reach and snapped at his hand.

               The boys frowned at the new creature then nearly collapsed in relief as Shandy and Finn shot out of the trees and attacked the closest fear deargs they could jump on, growling and thrashing before pinning a couple down and barking angrily.

               The fear dearg hissed in its unknown tongue, then looked up in surprise as the dragon spoke back in the same tongue. The fear dearg glared at the dragon and spoke once more, pointing to the boys before making a fist and shaking it at the kids. The dragon snarled and spoke once more.

               “Harry!” Severus called out, “Ollie, Draco!”

               “Dad, over here!” Harry called back, tears in his eyes as he realized they were safe now.

               Severus stepped out of the trees with his wand ready, Peadar, Eileen, and several aurors doing the same. Severus ran to the boys and hugged all three as soon as he saw them, pulling them into a tight embrace that the three returned readily. The other adults paused as they watched the interaction between the fear dearg and the dragon. Even the dogs waited with their captive fear deargs pinned under them, tails wagging as they watched the dragon.

               “The language of the fairy,” Peadar said aloud, “an old and complicated speech; how remarkable to witness in person.”

               Severus wasn’t sure if he agreed as he kept his arms around the three boys, even as they turned their attention to the conversation taking place between the two fairy species.

               The fear dearg seemed very angry in his tone, but the dragon did not back down as it snarled back in the same tone. Several more fear deargs appeared behind the one talking to the dragon, but they also waited for the conversation to end. It was the strangest moment of truce while an agreement was being made.

               Finally, the fear dearg threw up his hands and turned away, muttering under its breath before turning back and shouting a strange word.

               The dragon looked back and whirred softly.

               Shandy and Finn released the fear deargs pinned under them and the creatures took off running, following the retreating deargs, vanishing into the night.

               The dragon huffed before turning back to the people, flying over to Harry and whirring gently.

               “I remember you,” Harry said. “It’s the fairy from the stone.”

               Severus chuckled as he said, “It was your rabbit’s idea. You owe her a big thank you.”

               “And thank you to you, too,” Harry said. “What did you tell them?”

               The dragon blurred as it shifted into her humanoid fairy form. She smiled softly at the three boys before smirking.

               “I told them they were a disgrace to all fairy kind and should consider themselves lucky that I don’t summon the God of the Ireland Forests to banish them forever. But I would reconsider doing so if they left you alone forever.”

               “Is there really a god of the Ireland forests?” Ollie asked.

               “To them, there is now,” the fairy said.

               The three boys laughed before Draco tapped Severus’s arm.

               “You can let us go now,” he said. He held up his injured hand to Severus. “One of those things bit me.”

               “Let me take a look,” an MCC officer said, stepping forward and examining Draco’s bite wound. “Those things have disgusting dental hygiene, so I suggest a healing potion and an antibiotic solution applied to the wound tonight, then an antibiotic potion just to be safe.”

               “Yippee for me,” Draco muttered.

               “I’m glad you boys are safe,” Severus said. He herded them in front of him, and Eileen took Ollie’s hand while Peadar took Draco’s hand. “Let’s get you boys home and cleaned up and take care of. Then we are having a long discussion about the wards and its boundaries and what that means for you boys.”

               “Aww, can it wait until tomorrow?” Ollie asked, his head dropping back and his shoulders slumping. “I’m wall-falling.”

               “Very well,” Severus relented. “First thing tomorrow morning them. We also need a nice way of explaining to your parents what happened.”

               “Oh, Mam will love this story,” Ollie said with a grin.

               “Troublemaker,” Eileen said, pinching Ollie’s cheek none too gently.

               Peadar whistled to the glowing birds sitting in the trees and they shook the glow away and took off to the sky to head home. Everyone else apparated away, Severus sharing one last grateful look with the spirit fairy before apparating Harry home.

The fairy shifted back into her dragon form to begin the swift flight back to her stone. Before she could flap a single wing though, her blue glow turned black and her eyes red for a brief second before her natural glow returned and she shook herself out before flying into the trees, enjoying the chill of the night.