Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 11: Finding More Help

Poppy escorted Severus into the Infirmary. She walked him over to one of the beds and sat him down.

“You’re definitely your mother’s son,” Poppy said softly.

She walked over to her private potion stores and pulled out a phial. It was set aside for when someone would get so upset that they almost depleted their magical core.

How Severus is now, he wasn’t the worst Poppy has seen, but he was still in a dangerous state. The potion would bring the person back to a more conscious state and will help to replenish their core. Once they are given the potion, their bodies need rest.

Poppy walked back over to Severus and looked at his face.

“Severus,” Poppy said, calmly. “Can you look at me?”

Severus slowly raised his head and looked at the matron.

“Hi, Poppy,” Severus said, slowly.

“Severus, how are you feeling?”

“I’m okay,” Severus shrugged.

“Can you take this for me?” Poppy handed Severus the phial.

Severus slowly lowered his head and looked at the phial in Poppy’s hand. He reached up and gripped the phial.

Helping Severus take the potion, she knew it would take a few minutes, for he will be back to his old self again. A few moments after drinking the potion, Severus’ eyes didn’t look as glazed as they once were. He blinked a few times as if to clear the cobwebs out of his mind.

Severus looked up and realized that he was in the Infirmary and that Poppy was standing in front of him.

“What’s going on?” Severus asked, trying to stand up.

Poppy held out her hand, preventing Severus from standing.

“Hold on a minute. You need to wait until the potion finishes.”

Severus rubbed his hand over his face. “What happened?”

“What is the last thing you remember?” Poppy asked.

“I saw you, and I was going to check on mother,” Severus said.

“When I found you, you destroyed your mother’s door. You want to tell me what is going on,” Poppy said, sitting next to Severus.

A vision of blood, hair, and fabric invaded Severus’ mind. He tensed up and was about to stand again when he felt a hand on his arm.

“What is it?” Poppy said.

“Something’s wrong,” Severus said, moving his arm out of Poppy’s grasp. “Mother’s missing.”

“What?”

Severus stood up and headed for the door, but Poppy met him and stopped him again, blocking the door.

“Tell me everything,” Poppy demanded.

Severus sighed.

“The coin that Minerva gave me so long ago, she gave it to Potter. That is how we knew that something was wrong with the boy. When I went to get him, mother took my coin, and Potter still had the one that Minerva gave him. The coin went off again. That’s the reason why I’m here.”

“Harry’s with you?” Poppy asked.

Severus didn’t answer.

Poppy had a small smile on her face. She reached up and cupped Severus’ cheek.

“Listen to me,” Poppy said. “I’ll look out for Minerva. I’m sure there is something that I can find that will help me in finding out what happened. You need to go.”

“But she’s my mother,” Severus protested.

“And she’s my best friend,” Poppy replied. “I’ll find out. And when I do, you’ll be the first to know.”

As much as Severus wanted to argue that he needed to find his mother, there was someone at home that needed his attention more.

Severus dipped his chin in a nod. He cracked to door to the infirmary, but again Poppy stopped him.

“Take the floo,” she said. “I have a gut feeling that Albus doesn’t know.” Physically turning Severus around and pushing him towards the hearth.

Severus grabbed a handful of powder. He was about to throw it down when Poppy reached up and kissed him on his cheek.

“You know what I gave you,” Poppy said. “It won’t completely work until you get some rest.”

“I will,” Severus said.

Poppy walked away before Severus dropped the powder. She figured when Severus didn’t answer her question about Harry; it meant that there was some information that was best not knowing.

___000___000___000___000

Remus was tired. This past full moon took its toll on him. Not being able to get a hold of Wolfbane, the transformations were more intense. Remus was lying on top of the duvet on his bed. After resigning from Hogwarts, Remus had been staying with Sirius. For one reason, Sirius had enough room in Grimmauld Place, and, two, he could keep an eye on Sirius. Sirius was never one to be able to stay in one place for a long period, but in Sirius' defense, it was hard for him to come back to his family home after so many years being away from them.

There was a soft light coming into the room. It wasn’t too dark or too bright. Remus stood and stretched his body, trying to get the kinks out when he saw a bird coming towards the window.

Opening the window, a large owl flew in, landing on the sill. Remus looked at the bird for a second before freeing it of his small bundle. Remus opened the small parchment and read the contents.

Getting a letter from Severus was odd. He never blamed Severus for his resignation. Not taking his potion and risking hurting Harry and his friends, Remus knew he couldn’t stay at the school.

Remus looked up and saw that the owl was still there, so he figured that Severus wanted a response. Walking over to the small desk in the corner of the room, Remus dipped his quill in the inkwell and wrote on another small piece of parchment his answer. Rolling it up, Remus walked over to the window and tied his response on the bird’s leg. The Northern Hawk owl flew away.

Remus watched until he couldn’t see the bird anymore, closing the window. Remus was tired before; now he’s not. Now, he had to figure out a way to calm Sirius in knowing that Severus was coming over.

___000___000___000___000

Severus walked out of the hearth and went to the library. He saw that Harry was still lying on the sofa resting comfortably. He knew he was going to need to rest soon, but there was so much that he had to deal with first. He needed to find out where his mother was. There was nothing in the area to know what happened or who could have possibly taken her. The only saving grace was his mother still had the coin on her person.

The tapping on the window brought Severus out of his musing; the owl on the other side wasn’t his. Opening the window, he removed the parchment. He was about to open the parchment when he saw Archimedes coming. Severus reached out his arm and his owl. Bringing his arm back into the house, Severus closed the window with his other hand.

Archimedes slid up Severus’ arm until he was on the Potion Master’s shoulder. He softly nipped at Severus’ ear before flying off his shoulder and landing on the desk. Severus walked over and pulled the parchment off.

He opened the second parchment.

Severus,

There is nothing for you to apologize for. If you need help, I’m here to help you take care of Harry. I’m staying with Sirius at Grimmauld Place. I will talk with Sirius and we’ll both help you.

Come when you think it is the best time.

Remus

Severus wasn’t happy to have to deal with the dog, looking over at the child sleeping on the sofa; he knew whatever he felt about the man, Harry was going to need his help.

Severus opened the second parchment.

I know you have Potter. If you don’t take him back to his relatives, your dear sweet mother will not live to see the next school year. You have twelve hours.

Severus lowered his hand, balling up the parchment in his hand. They were blackmailing him. He couldn’t condemn that child to that kind of abuse. Looking at Remus’ letter, he knew it didn’t matter if he got along with Sirius or not, Harry was going to need his help. He was going to have to make plans to keep Harry safe.

Harry started to stir on the sofa. Severus walked over to the child, sitting on the edge of the sofa.

“Harry,” Severus said softly. “Harry.”

Harry started stretching, grabbing the cover over him raising his hands over his head. Harry noticed that his shoulder didn’t hurt as much. It wasn’t even that sore. He stretched so hard he turned, bumping into Severus.

“Hey,” Harry said. His voice was a little groggy.

“How do you feel?” Severus asked.

“A lot better,” Harry said, pulling himself up to a sitting position.

“Do you feel like going out?” Severus asked.

“Where are we going?”

“You’re in desperate need of some more glasses,” Severus said, standing up, pulling his cloak off the child.

Harry felt his cover move and instantly missed the warmth that came with it. He tightened his grip on the cloak before it was completely removed.

“Wait,” Harry said.

Severus looked down at the child. “What’s wrong?”

“I…I,” Harry stuttered.

“Yes, Harry,” Severus said.

Hearing his name from his Professor, Harry looked up at him. “If we’re going out, can I keep it.”

Severus raised his eyebrow at the child. He wanted to keep his, the evil bat’s, cloak.

“Yes, sure,” Severus said. “Let’s go. We have another place to go afterward.”

Harry stood up, and Severus wrapped the cloak around the child.

___000___000___000___000

It was so nice to be able to see you again. It had been a long time since Harry saw anything as clear as he was looking now. He looked down at the cloak wrapped around his arms. He never thought that he would be comfortable un his Potion Professor’s clothes, but he felt protected.

“Are we going back to your house?” Harry asked.

“No,” Severus said.

“Where are we going?” Harry asked.

“Please,” Severus said. Harry looked over at his teacher. He looked tired.

“Professor,” Harry said. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Severus said. “Take my arm.” Severus raised his arm towards Harry.

Harry grabbed his arm. Harry felt like he was twisted in a tube. When he felt that his feet were on solid ground, he leaned into the body next to him.

“It takes a minute to get used to,” a voice said above Harry’s head.

Harry looked up and saw that he was leaning against the Professor.

“Sorry,” Harry said, stepping back a little.

“Nothing to apologize for,” Severus said. “It’s a little disconcerting in the beginning. Let’s continue.”

Severus started walking down the street. Harry followed.

“Where are we?” Harry asked.

Severus pulled out his wand and waved it. The building seemed to shake and open. Harry was astonished at what he was seeing. He could see people in the windows of the other buildings, and they seemed not even to notice that the building was separating. When the moving stopped, there was a new door with a walkway and railing.

“Let’s go,” Severus said, walking towards the newly placed door.

Harry followed. When they walked inside, there was a slender walkway. Severus let Harry pass him, and they walked into the door at the end of the hallway. Harry opened the door and a huge smile spread across his lips.

“Sirius,” Harry yelled.

Sirius was sitting at the table reading the paper when the door opened, and he saw his godson come in.

“Pronglet,” Sirius said, standing up.

Harry rushed over to his godfather and wrapped his arms around him. Sirius returned the hug with as much fervor. Severus stayed in the corner of the kitchen. He knew that when Sirius saw him, it wasn’t going to be a lot of smiles.

Remus heard the excitement downstairs. He headed for the kitchen so that there could see what was going on. Remus walked into the kitchen and stood over where Severus was standing.

Sirius pushed Harry out to arm’s length.

“How are you doing?” Sirius asked. “Why are you here? Not that I’m not happy about it.”

“I was with my Professor,” Harry said. “He helped me.”

Professor? Sirius pondered. He looked up and saw who else was in the room with them. Severus was standing by Remus.

“What are you doing here, Snivellus?” Sirius growled.  

“Sirius,” Harry said.

“Now’s not the time, Sirius,” Remus said.

“What are you even here? You don’t care for Harry!”

“Sirius, stop,” Harry said.

Sirius gripped Harry’s sore arm. Even though Harry could move it having it yanked on didn’t mean that it didn’t hurt. Sirius pulled Harry behind him. Pain etched on Harry's face. Both Remus and Severus walked over to them.

“You stay away, Snivellus,” Sirius roared.

Severus wasn’t listening; he walked past the two of them and grabbed for Harry. He pushed Sirius’ hand off the boy and turned pulling Harry to his chest. Harry looked up at his Professor. He could see that his Professor was hurting. Harry didn’t know why he looked so pained.

“Professor, are you okay?” Harry asked softly, so only he and Severus could hear.

Harry’s attention was only on his Professor. He didn’t know about the slight tussle behind them.

Remus was standing next to Sirius, trying to calm the animagus down. Sirius pushed Remus away, pulling his wand out of his sleeve.

“Let him go,” Sirius growled.

“Sirius, stop.”

Harry looked at Severus. There was a flash of light behind his Potion professor. Severus’ pained look deepened, and he fell forward. Harry wrapped his arms around his professor’s shoulders, falling on the floor with him. Severus was unconscious with his head was laying on Harry’s shoulder. Harry was angry. Why would he attack him? He helped me.

Harry was brought out of his musing by someone shaking his shoulder.

“Come on, Pronglet,” Sirius said, trying to pry Harry off of Severus. “Let’s go.”

“Go away,” Harry said quietly.

“Harry,” Remus said.

“Go away,” Harry said louder. Harry looked up at his godfather. “You attacked someone behind their back. Professor Snape helped me, and you attack him. Go away.”

“Why? It’s just Snivellus,” Sirius said. “He’s nobody.”

“Sirius,” Remus said, pulling Sirius back. “Sirius, come on. You’ve done enough.”

Remus pulled Sirius out of the kitchen. Harry laid his cheek on his professor’s forehead.

“I’m sorry, professor,” Harry whispered.

TBC