Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 12: Going Home?

“Madam Undersecretary, you have a guest outside.”

“Thank you,” Delores Umbridge said.

Her office was drowned in pink. She had pictures of cats everywhere. Even though she was working, her desk was pristine. Her clothes were always impeccable. Her hair was always well-groomed, not a strain out of place.

Putting her quill back in the inkwell, she looked at her secretary, “Show them in.”

“Yes, ma’am,” the young woman said, quickly leaving the office.

Moments later, she returned with a gentleman following. Without being told, the secretary stepped out of the office, closing the door behind her.

“Well,” Delores said, “It is wonderful to see you. What news do you have for me?”

“Not great news,” the man said, sitting in the chair across from Delores’ desk.

“What happened?” Delores’ sweet tone became harsh.

“It seems that the Dementors didn’t do what we hoped.”

“Blasted,” Delores exclaimed, sitting back in her chair. “There has to be some way to discredit this troublemaker.”

“Since you’re commissioned to work at Hogwarts, you’ll have to discredit him there. You’ll have a better chance than trying to do it from his muggle home.”

“Okay,” Delores sighed. “It would have been better if the Dementors succeeded, then it would make the school term that much easier.”

“Do your best,” the man said, standing up. “Make sure you have Harry Potter seen as a glory-hogging want-a-be.”

“It will be done,” Delores declared.

“Wonderful,” the man stood up and walked to the door. “Good day.”

He disappeared before Delores could reply. Not that she was going to. She was in deep thought about how to destroy Potter’s credibility.

A thought came to her that brought a smile to her face. Opening the side drawer of her desk, there was the perfect item lying at the top.

“Perfect,” Delores purred, sounding like one of her cats.

___000___000___000

Harry was on the floor in total disbelief. He had a tight grip on his professor. Never did he think that someone could attack him from behind. The professor was only trying to make sure he was okay, and Sirius just attacked him.

Harry was so focused on his professor; he didn’t notice that he was alone in the kitchen. Remus pulled Sirius out of the room, Sirius complaining the entire time.

“What the hell was that about?” Remus growled.

“Snivellus was by my godson,” Sirius said with just as much animosity. “He was hurting him.”

“He was not,” Remus roared. “You were.”

“Me,” Sirius said, incredulously. “I would never hurt my godson. And why are you taking that Death Eater’s side.”

“Sirius, I love you like a brother,” Remus sighed. He was tired, and it was starting to show. “But you are the most pigheaded person I know. You were hurting Harry.”

“I did not!” Sirius screamed, instantly regretting it when he saw Remus put his hands over his ears.

Sirius took a deep breath to calm himself down. He forgot how hard this last full moon was on Moony.

“Forgive me,” Sirius said, his voice calmer now. “But I didn’t hurt Harry.”

“Yes, you did,” Remus said, lowering his hands. “When you grabbed Harry and tried to put him behind you, you hurt him. Severus was just trying to check on him. And then you attacked him from behind.”

“He’s a Death Eater,” Sirius snarled but kept his voice low so not to irritate Remus again.

“No, he’s not,” Remus said, shaking his head. “And if you had given me two seconds to intervene, I would have told you that Harry had been staying with Severus for three days, and he was coming here seeking help.”

Sirius looked puzzled. Remus pulled out the note that he received from Severus. Sirius read it. Remus saw the deflated look on Sirius’ face when he got to the end of the note. Without saying another word, Sirius rushed back into the kitchen. To his surprise, Harry was still sitting on the floor with Severus in his arms.

Harry heard footsteps coming back into the kitchen. When he looked up to see who came in, his eyes darkened. Harry looked saddened.

“Why?” Harry asked, looking up at Sirius. “Why would you attack him from behind? He’s done nothing but helps me, and you attacked him.”

“Harry,” Sirius said. “He’s not a good person.”

Harry looked up at Sirius; his eyes were cold. He was hurt. Some of his feeling he wasn’t understanding, but they were taking over, and Harry allowed it.

“And you’re faultless?” Harry said. His voice was cold as steel. “You attacked someone from behind. That’s a coward’s move. You didn’t give him a chance to defend himself.”

Sirius could see the hurt in his godson’s eyes. It broke his heart that he was the reason Harry was hurt.

“Professor Snape has been nothing but caring to me,” Harry continued. “He sat with me when I was in pain. He comforted me when I had nightmares. We may not have gotten along before, but he protected me since I walked inside Hogwarts. I wasn’t blind to that fact. And you shouldn’t be either.”

“What?” Sirius asked.

“When I first met you, I thought you were going to kill me.”

“But, you learned that I wasn’t.”

“That’s right,” Harry said. “But at the time, I didn’t. Professor Snape came thinking the same thing.”

“You attacked him to save me,” Sirius said. “So, how is what I did so wrong?”

“At least he saw it coming,” Harry said. “I didn’t do it from behind.”

“Where are you going with this?” Sirius said, exasperated.

“When Remus changed,” Harry said. “And he threw you off him; it was Professor Snape that stood in front of us. He protected us. You saw it because when you came back, you stood in front of us.”

“Harry,” Sirius started, but Harry cut him off.

“I don’t want to talk anymore,” Harry lowered his head until his cheek was resting on Severus’ forehead.

“Harry,” Sirius tried again.

“Sirius,” Remus said, standing by the door. “Go take a walk. Leave Harry alone for now. You can talk later.”

Sirius, looking defeated, walked out of the kitchen and went upstairs. Remus walked over to where Harry and Severus were on the floor.

“Harry,” Remus called out softly.

“I don’t want to talk anymore,” Harry said.

“I understand that,” Remus said. “But don’t you think you both would be more comfortable off the floor.”

Harry looked up at the werewolf and nodded.

“Excellent,” Remus said, pulling out his wand.

Harry’s arms tightened around Severus. That motion didn’t go unnoticed with Remus, but he didn’t comment on it.

“Listen, Harry,” Remus said. “I need to levitate Severus so we can go to the sitting room, and I can put him on the sofa there.”

Harry looked up at Remus, trying to decide if he was telling the truth. He deeply wanted to trust his former Defense professor, but there was a note of worry. Looking back down at Severus, Harry loosen his hold on his Professor and nodded.

Remus levitated Severus and moved him into the sitting room. Harry was a step behind him. When Remus got to the sofa, he slowly lowered Severus onto it. Harry was right next to him, lifting Severus' head so that he could put a pillow under it.

“Harry,” Remus said, putting his hand on the boy’s shoulder. “Have you eaten?”

It was a moment before Harry acknowledged that someone asked him a question. His focus was on his professor. Harry shook his head in the negative, taking his eyes off his Professor and looking at Remus.

“Why don’t we get something to eat,” Remus suggested.

Harry tensed at the suggestion, but Remus put his hand on Harry’s shoulder, guiding him out of the sitting room.

“Severus will be fine,” Remus reassured Harry. “It will just take some time for him to wake up. Even though Sirius is a little impulsive, he only stunned Severus.”

Harry kept his eyes on Severus while Remus escorted Harry out of the room. He went back into the kitchen and sat down while Remus prepared a light meal for the child.

___000___000___000

“Who are you?” Minerva demanded.

The guest waved his hands, and dim light illuminated the small room.

“Aberforth,” Minerva gasped. “What’s going on? Why am I here?”

“All in due time,” Aberforth said. “Things will be revealed.”

“What is going on?” Minerva asked again.

“Certain measures were taken so that certain things could be done,” Aberforth said, smirking.

“Just like your brother,” Minerva mumbled. Raising her voice again, “stop talking in riddles and tell me what’s going on.”

“Let’s just say,” Aberforth said. “You’re insurance.”

“Insurance?” Minerva asked, puzzled. “Insurance for what?”

“Nothing you should worry about,” Aberforth said. “Just know that you’re the incentive needed to get the job done.”

Aberforth walked out of the room, leaving Minerva alone again.

___000___000___000

Harry was sitting at the table, picking at his food. Remus felt bad for the child. Harry would sneak looks at the doorway, hoping that Severus would walk through it.

“Harry,” Remus said. “Try and eat something.”

Harry sighed. He scooped up a small forkful of food and put it in his mouth.

“Are you sure he’s okay,” Harry asked, looking back at the door. “It’s been so long. Should we call Madam Pomphrey.”

“Harry, relax,” Remus said, trying not to smile. “Severus will be fine.”

The door to the kitchen creaked open, and Harry stood up, almost knocking his cup of pumpkin juice over. Remus had to reach over and steady the cup before it spilled on the floor.

Sirius walked in the kitchen, and Harry deflated and sat back down with a flop, sighing.

“Harry,” Sirius said, walking closer to his godson. “Please.”

“Yeah,” Harry’s voice sounded defeated. “What if you really hurt him?”

“I only stunned him,” Sirius said. “He’ll wake up.” Harry slumped back in the chair. “Forgive me, Harry.”

Harry looked at his godfather. He could see that he was remorseful, and Harry wasn’t that angry.

“You know it’s not me you need to apologize to,” Harry said. “Professor Snape is the one you should apologize to. It was him that cursed.”

“Nothing that warrants it. In the past, I’ve given as good as I got. This isn’t new.”

Hearing the soothing baritone that helped Harry through the worst of his pain, the child turned and looked at the door. Seeing his Professor standing at the door was a pleasant surprise.

A huge grin split Harry’s face, and he got up and rushed over to his Potion Professor, jumping up and wrapping his arms around the man’s neck surprising everyone in the room.

Severus quickly wrapped his arms around the child, so Harry wasn’t hanging from his neck. He couldn’t hide the shock from his face seeing Harry running towards him with the smile that brightened up the room.

“Must you plaster yourself to me like a spider monkey?” Severus whispered in the child’s ear.

“You’re awake,” Harry said, his voice muffled in Severus’ robes. “You’re okay. I’m glad you’re here.”

“I’ll always be here for you, Harry,” Severus said. After a moment, Severus patted Harry’s back. “There’s a lot that needs to be discussed, and I cannot do it with you hanging off me.”

Sirius and Remus were surprised by Harry’s reaction to Severus walking into the kitchen. Sirius was a little jealous of how Harry was treating Snivellus.

Harry slowly let go of his Professor sliding his arms off his shoulders. Harry didn’t know why something deep inside of him needed to make sure that Professor Snape was okay.

“Are you sure you’re all right?” Harry asked softly.

“I’m sure,” Severus said. “There was more behind it than just a stunning hex. Go sit down.”

Harry walked back over to the table. Severus sat next to the boy. Pushing the plate closer to the boy, Severus nonverbally told Harry to finish eating.

Without saying anything, Harry picked up his fork and started eating. After the second bite, Harry looked at his godfather, nodding towards Severus.

“Listen, Snape,” Sirius said, stumbling with his words.

“Don’t bother,” Severus said quickly. “There are more things important.”

“What’s going on, Severus?” Remus asked.

Severus looked at the boy next to him and then back at the two men across from him.

“Minerva was kidnapped,” Severus said.

Exclamations came from everyone in the kitchen. “What?!” “What happened?” “When did this happened?”

Severus held up his hand to stop the questions.

“It was a warning for me,” Severus said.

“What are you talking about?” Remus said.

Severus leaned to the side and pulled a piece of parchment from his pocket and put it on the table. Remus reached over and grabbed the parchment.

Remus always cared for Minerva. She never looked at her differently, knowing his affliction. Her door was always open for him when he was having a particularly hard day or if he had an excruciating transformation. Before Sirius, James, and Peter became animagus, Minerva would sit with him during those times of the month.

Remus read the parchment. His reaction was like Severus’ when he saw it. Sirius looked at his friend and saw his eyes changing color.

“Remus,” Sirius whispered, gripping the werewolf’s arm. “Remus, you have to calm down.”

Sirius pried the parchment out of Remus’ hand and quickly read it. With his hand still on Remus’ arm, Sirius looked at Severus.

“Do you have any idea who has her?” Sirius asked.

Severus shook his head. “I just saw the note, but I know it was by force.”

“How?” Harry asked, speaking for the first time.

“There was blood on the door jam, along with a few hair strands and a small piece of cloth from her robe.” Severus sighed. “I have to return Harry to his relatives.”

“What?” Harry said, panic rising in his voice. “No, please.” Harry started shaking his head.

“I’m sorry, Harry,” Severus said.

“It’s going to be worse,” Harry said, getting out of the chair. “They won’t leave me alone.”

Severus and Sirius stood up, trying to calm Harry down. Harry kept backing away until he was against the wall. Severus had his hands raised in a surrendering stance, saying soothing words, trying to calm the teenager down.

“Calm down, Harry,” Severus said. “You won’t be alone. I will protect you.”

“He won’t leave me alone.” Harry was panicking so much that he couldn’t hear the words his Professor was saying. “I can’t take it. It’s too hard there.”

“Harry,” Severus said softly so as not to spook the child. “Calm down. You’re working yourself into a fit.”

Severus reached Harry first. Slowly, Severus reached out his hands and touched Harry’s cheek, cupping the child’s face in his hand. Harry felt the warm touch, closed his eyes and leaned into the comforting hand. Severus took one more step towards the boy and was directly in front of Harry. Raising his other hand, Severus framed the child’s face in his hands.

“Harry,” Severus said softly. “Look at me,” Severus raised the child face up.

Harry’s eyes were glassy, looking at his Professor.

“I will not send you anywhere unprotected. I will keep you safe. That’s why we’re here.”

Tears that had threatened to come, streaked down Harry’s cheek. Severus thumbed the tears away.

“Your godfather will keep you safe,” Severus said.

Sirius was shocked at that statement. “What do you mean, Severus?”

Still looking at Harry, and in the same tone of voice, Severus said, “I will tell you the details later, let me calm Harry down.” Directing his attention to the teenager, “You will be safe. Do you trust your godfather?”

Harry nodded as best he could with his face still in Severus’ hands.

“Do you trust me?”

Again, Harry nodded.

“Then trust that I will not put you someplace and not keep you protected. It was not my original plan to take you back, but I have no choice. Your godfather will protect you.”

Harry's shoulders sagged. Severus pulled the child to him and wrapped his arms around him. Severus lowered his head until his face was buried in the child’s hair.

___000___000___000

Aberforth walked back to his tavern. It was a bright day. Usually, he didn’t pay the weather any mind. It didn’t matter to him if the sun was out or if it was cloudy. A day was just like any other day.

Now, he felt like he had a purpose. He was surprised when his younger brother came to him. Now, he was glad that he did. When he stepped inside, he saw that there were two people he wanted to see.

“You did an excellent job,” Aberforth said.

The pair turned and looked at the man coming to him.

“It wasn’t hard taking her,” Bellatrix said. “We didn’t even have to go inside.”

“Well,” Aberforth said. “The next one may be a little tougher.”

“I welcome the challenge,” Fenrir growled.

“I’m glad,” Aberforth said. “Poppy Pomphrey is the next one on your list.”

“The matron?” Bellatrix asked, laughing. “This will be fun.”

TBC