Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I know I've been scarce for a while. Good news, I finished school. I have a bachelor's in creative writing. Bad news my health has been on the decline.
Chapter 4: Nightmares

Chapter Four

Harry was pinned to the wall. Dudley and his friends caught up with him. Two of the boys had his arms raised above his head. Dudley was screaming something derogative to him while the others laughed. The other boys were punching Harry in his sides or stomach. With his hands pinned over his head, there was no way he could block the blows.

Harry just closed his eyes, wishing the torment would be over. He felt something get close to his face. When he opened his eyes, he saw Piers standing close to him. He didn’t like him. Piers made him feel uncomfortable with all the lewd comments and gestures. Piers got closer. Harry tried to move further back, but he couldn’t since he was standing against the wall. Pier’s body was leaning on Harry’s.

Harry closed his eyes tightly.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING, YOU FREAK!”

Harry opened his eyes and saw he wasn’t standing with Dudley and his gang of friends. He was in the kitchen, standing in front of the sink. Harry looked down and saw that his hands were in the soapy water. He felt around the water and found the towel he was using.

“DID YOU NOT HEAR ME!”

Harry turned slightly so as not to drip water on the floor.

“Sorry, Uncle Vernon.”

“You pathetic waste of space,” Vernon sneered. “You can’t seem to do anything right. Hurry up with those dishes so that you can get to your room. I have guests tonight, and I don’t want to hear a word from you.”

“Yes, Uncle Vernon.” Harry turned back to the sink and finished the dishes as fast as he could.

Once he was done, not wanting to get in more trouble with his uncle, Harry ran upstairs to his room. When he walked into his room, the thought of being quiet left his mind when he saw what was in his room.

Jumping up and down on the bed was a small being, he later learned was a house-elf. After several tries of calming down the elf, it made so much noise that Uncle Vernon came to his room several times.

After a while, the elf left, and Harry tried to salvage the rest of his time in the room, hoping that now that there was no noise coming from his room that Uncle Vernon wouldn’t be upset. That didn’t go as planned either.

Harry could hear footsteps coming up the stairs. Harry was lying in bed, hoping that they would go to their rooms and leave him alone. Again, no such luck.

The door was pushed open with so much force he slammed into the adjacent wall. Harry quickly sat up in bed. Seeing the anger on his uncle’s face, made Harry slide back against the wall, pulling his knees to his chest.

“I told you to be quiet,” Vernon sneered.

“I’m sorry, Uncle Vernon,” Harry said softly.

“You’re always, sorry,” Vernon said, pulling his belt out of the loops of his pants.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. Please, Uncle Vernon, don’t. I’ll be good. It wasn’t my fault. I promise I’ll be better,” Harry whimpered, sliding to the corner of his bed, against the wall. He was trying to get to the furthest part away from his uncle.

Vernon reached out and grabbed Harry’s ankle, pulling him to the middle of the bed.

“NO,” Harry screamed. He tried to move again before he felt the sting of the belt, but he couldn’t move fast enough.

The belt came down more and more. Harry curled into a ball, wrapping his arms around his head.

___000___000___000

Severus, Minerva, and Poppy were in Poppy’s office drinking tea. Minerva and Poppy were talking. Severus was lost in thought when he heard a low moan. He turned his head towards the door to the office.

“What is it, Severus?” Minerva asked.

“Shh,” Severus said, standing up and putting his teacup on Poppy’s desk.

There was another moan — louder this time. Severus walked out of the office and to the only other person in the infirmary.

Severus saw that Harry was in the midst of a nightmare. Severus walked over to Harry’s bed and carefully sat down so as not to move his arms too much. Severus looked down at the child lying on the bed and could see tears streaming down his closed eyelids.

Severus didn’t know why looking at this boy in his weakened state was tugging at his heart. This was James Potter’s son. Potter was a spoiled brat whose relatives spoiled him and catered to his every need. Even as he thought of that, after everything that he’s seen in the past three hours, Severus knew that wasn’t true. Really looking at this boy, this child, that’s what he was a small child.

Severus pulled out his handkerchief from his back pocket and wiped the tears from Harry’s face. Very carefully, he put his hands under Harry’s head and lifted the child to a sitting position. Severus moved to sit behind Harry like he did when they fixed his shoulder and hand. He laid Harry’s head against his shoulder and wrapped his arms around him.

Leaning down so that his mouth was close to Harry’s ear, Severus started whispering in his ear.

“It’s only a dream. You’re safe now. It’s okay.”

Harry’s rapid breathing calmed a little, and he seemed to relax in Severus’ arms.

Minerva and Poppy watched from Poppy’s office. The longer Harry was in Severus’ arms, the angrier Minerva was getting. She needed answers. And there was only one person who could give them to her.

“Stay with them,” Minerva said, quietly to Poppy.

“Where are you going?” Poppy asked.

“To see Albus,” Minerva said, turning and leaving the Infirmary.

Poppy watched Minerva leave and then turned back to Harry and Severus on the bed. Never did she think Severus would take such a nurturing attitude with Harry. For four years, Severus complained almost non-stop about how Harry was always getting away with things. That Albus was showing favoritism towards Harry. Poppy didn’t forget how Severus ranted and raved about the first year when Albus gave the “Terror Trio,” as he referred to them, points to make it guaranteed that the Gryffindors won the House Cup.

Poppy walked closer to where Severus and Harry were. Severus was lying Harry back down on the bed.

“You know, Severus, I never took you for caring for Harry,” Poppy teased.

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” Severus said, looking up at Poppy from his seated position on the bed.

“You held and cuddled Harry until he calmed down.”

Severus stood up. “I do not cuddle anyone. Especially not Potter.” Severus walked away from the bed and headed towards the Infirmary doors.

“It’s nothing to be ashamed about,” Poppy said, watching Severus leave.

Severus stopped just inches from the door. He quickly turned and looked at the matron.

“If mother asks for me, tell her I’ll be in my lab,” Severus said, coolly. Then turned and walked out of the door.

Poppy softly laughed. She loved teasing Severus. He makes it so easy sometimes. She then turned to her patient to see how he was doing. She ran her fingers through his hair.

“You’ll be fine, Harry,” Poppy whispered. “You now have a formidable ally in your corner. Even if he doesn’t know it yet.”

____0000_____0000_____0000

Minerva was upset. No, she was mad. She didn’t understand what Albus could have been thinking. She begged him not to let Harry stay with those muggles. She saw how they acted. She saw how the neighbors reacted to them. She remembered how Lily would sit in her office, crying because of what her sister said while she was on break. Minerva knew that Petunia Evans did not like witches and wizards. Minerva pleaded with Albus to leave Harry with someone else. But he wouldn’t hear of it.

The walk to Albus’ office was actually a little therapeutic. She didn’t want to react the same way that she reacted when she found out about Severus. The damage was immense. She was furious when she left the Infirmary, but now she had a clearer head, and she knew that she could better present her case about both Harry and Arabella to him.

When she walked to the gargoyle standing post in front of the staircase, she looked at it, the stairs appeared behind the statue, and the stone statue moved out of the way. Smirking, Minerva ascended the staircase and walked in the door.

“Why Minerva,” Albus said, sitting behind his desk. “What do I owe the pleasure of your company?” Albus sat back in his seat, folding his hands over his chest.

Minerva walked over to one of the plush chairs across from Albus’ desk and sat down.

“Albus,” Minerva said, quietly. “Something has come to my attention, and I would like your opinion on it.”

“Why, of course, Minerva.”

“Harry Potter.”

“What about him?”

“I just have one question for you,” Minerva said, looking down at her hands.

“I’ll try to answer if I can.”

“Why?”

TBC