Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 8: Standing Alone

Harry opened his eyes. Looking around, he knew he wasn’t in the Infirmary anymore. The light was dim. Harry wondered where he was. He tried to sit up, but any kind of movement with his shoulder sent fiery pain shooting from his fingers to his chest. Harry hissed in pain.

“You’re awake.”

“Professor?” Harry looked over to where the voice was. “Professor, where am I?”

Severus walked over to the bed and sat down on the edge of it.

“For safety reasons, I had to remove you from Hogwarts.”

“What’s going on?” Harry said in a panic. “Where am I?”

“Potter,” Severus said. “Calm down. You’re safe. You are in my house.”

“Your house? Why?”

“How did you get hurt?” Severus asked ignoring, Harry’s questions.

“You know,” Harry said, looking up at the ceiling. “Why do you care?”

“I care because no one should be treated like that,” Severus said.

Harry shivered at the severity of the Potion Professor’s tone.

“Let’s go about this another way, Potter,” Severus said. “Who were those boys chasing you?”

Harry looked down at the black blur sitting next to him. “You were there?”

“I arrived when I saw you were running, but yes, I was there.”

“Well then, you know what happened,” Harry said bitterly. “What? You believe that I deserve it. I’m just a spoiled brat that seeks out attention.”

Once again, Harry tried to sit up, but Severus put his hand on his chest, preventing him from getting up.

“Let me go,” Harry yelled.

“You are in no condition to get up. Your shoulder is still healing. Even though the bones in your hand are back, there is still some swelling that must go down before you get full use of your hand. Poppy got the fluid out of your lungs, but you still need to rest to recuperate from your pneumonia.”

“Why do you care?” Harry sighed. “I’m going back to my relatives. It’s just going to be worse.”

“Why do you think you’re here?” Severus asked. Harry looked over at Severus. “I refuse to let you suffer another day with those vile creatures.”

The idea of not having to go back even for a couple of months brought tears to Harry’s eyes. Now he didn’t care if he was with the most hated professor in the school. He didn’t have to go back. Harry felt a lump in his throat. He tried to swallow it down; the last thing he wanted was to cry in front of his Potions Professor.

“And besides,” Severus said, bringing Harry out of his musings. “You asked me not to leave you.”

A tear slid down Harry’s eyes to his hair.

“I thought I was dreaming,” Harry whispered.

“Not a dream,” Severus said.

“Professor, where are my glasses?” Harry asked.

“Once you can move around, we’re going to have to get you some more. The damage to your glasses was immense. There was no saving it.”

“I can’t see,” Harry said. “What am I supposed to do?”

“I guess you’re going to have to trust me,” Severus said. Harry sighed. “Listen, your body needs rest.”

Severus leaned closer to Harry and started combing his fingers in Harry’s hair. Harry wanted to object to the Professor doing that, but it felt so good, and he was calming down. Why bother.

“Professor,” Harry said, his voice slurring a little.

“Yes, Potter,” Severus said, continuing to rub the child’s scalp.

“Thank you,” Harry said.

Severus looked at the boy and saw the creased brow smooth out, letting him know that the boy was going to sleep. Severus’ fingers continued to rub Harry’s scalp even though he knew that Harry was asleep.

After a few more minutes, Severus stopped and got up. He walked out of the room, closing the door behind him. He sighed at what he had to do next. There was no way around it. He had to get some of his things from Hogwarts. Severus figured that Minerva and Poppy would have already noticed that Harry was gone. He didn’t want to lie to them, but he also didn’t want to tell them the truth either.

As Severus walked to the front door, his only hope was that he didn’t run into his adopted mother or pseudo-aunt while he was there.

___000___000___000___000

Minerva and Poppy walked to Minerva’s chambers. Albus said they should talk to Severus about the whereabouts of Harry. Why would Severus know about Harry?

“Maybe Severus can shed some light as to why Albus would think Severus knows about Harry,” Poppy said when they walked into Minerva’s chambers.

Minerva didn’t answer her. She just walked over to her chair and sat down.

“Minerva, I know you are upset,” Poppy said, sitting across from her friend. “But at least give Severus a chance to explain himself.”

“I’m not worried about Severus,” Minerva said. “I just don’t like this. Something is wrong. I don’t know what.”

“Why would you say that?” Poppy asked. “What is troubling you?”

“I’m not sure,” Minerva said.

Minerva stood up and walked over to the fireplace. Grabbing some floo powder, she tossed it in and watched the flames turn green.

“Severus,” Minerva called out.

Nothing happened.

“Severus,” Minerva called again. She turned to her friend. “Where can he be?”

Poppy shook her head.

“I’m going go down there,” Minerva said, walking towards the door. “Maybe he’s in his lab and isn’t close to the fireplace.”

“Do you want me to come with you?” Poppy asked, standing up.

“No, that’s okay. I’ll come by a little later, and we can have some tea.” Minerva walked out of her chambers while Poppy floo’ed to hers.

___000____0000____0000___000

Severus apparated to the outer edge of Hogwarts and began his trek to the school. He had hoped that he wouldn’t run into anyone. He just wanted to get what he needed and leave. Severus didn’t want to come face to face with the Headmaster or his mother.

Severus hated keeping secrets from his mother, but he thought it was safer for her if she remained ignorant of what he was doing.

The close was clear as Severus made his way to his chambers. For once, luck was on his side; no one was in the corridors or the dungeons. Severus almost smiled to himself at the thought of his plan working.

Severus made it to his chambers and went in to gather everything he would need to, one, help Harry heal, and two, be able to finish making extra potions for Poppy. Even though he wouldn’t be at the school, it didn’t mean that Poppy should suffer for not having her supplies.

Severus was walking out of the backroom when the door to his chambers opened. Severus froze in his spot when he saw his mother walk in. He closed his eyes, lowering his head. Nothing ever worked out for Severus. The one person he didn’t want to run into was standing at the door.

Minerva looked at what was in Severus’ hands and knew something was amiss.

“Where are you going?” Minerva asked.

Severus looked at his mother but said nothing.

“Are you keeping secrets again?” Minerva asked. Her voice was soft but intimidating.

“Mother, I need you to trust me,” Severus pleaded.

“Where’s Harry?” Minerva asked.

Severus said nothing.

“Tell me you didn’t take him back to his relatives,” Minerva asked.

Again, Severus said nothing.

“I would think that you of all people would know how volatile it is to have someone living in that kind of environment.”

“Mother, I—,,” Severus started.

“No,” Minerva cut her son off. “Where is he? What did you do?”

Knowing that his mother was upset and that she would not hear what he had to say, Severus kept his mouth shut and let his mother believe the worst in him. It was easier that way. If she were angry with him, then she would be safe.

“I can’t believe you,” Minerva sneered.

As much as Severus wanted to dissuade his mother’s thinking, he knew that it was best if she hated him than her being in danger.

“I thought you were seeing Harry as an abused child that needed help like you were,” Minerva said, shaking her head. “I guess I was wrong.”

Severus’ heart broke, hearing his mother sound so disgusted with him. But he knew to keep Harry safe and away from his relatives, he had to make his mother believe that he was already there.

“You disgust me,” Minerva sneered. She turned and walked out of Severus’ chambers.

Severus took a deep breath, held it, then slowly let it out. He tried to rein in his emotions. Hearing his mother say those words was upsetting. Not wanting to run into his mother again, Severus went to the fireplace and floo’ed back to his house.

Minerva stood on the other side of the door. She was smirking. She gave a little laugh as she walked down the corridor.

___0000____0000____0000____0000

Minerva was walking down the stairs that led to the dungeons. She hoped that Severus was there so that he could shed some light on what was going on. When she got to the bottom of the stairs, she saw Albus walking towards her.

“Oh, Albus,” Minerva said. “What brings you down here?”

“Just taking a walk,” Albus said, smiling. “The summertime is a perfect opportunity to take a stroll all over the castle. With the lack of children roaming around, I can think and meditate on anything in peace.”

“Well, I won’t keep you,” Minerva said, turning down the hallway that led to her son’s chambers.

“Good day, Minerva.” Albus walked up the stairs, smiling, trying to contain his glee.

TBC