Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6 Miss Me-But Let Me Go
Thank you to my beta Chrissysmiles for helping me with restructuring this story.


Chapter Six - Miss Me - But Let Me Go


Minerva checked each of little Harry’s friends and couldn’t help but be impressed with the wonderful job big Harry did transfiguring them. She then took them all to Filius Flitwick so that he could charm each of them so that they would always stay clean, as big Harry had requested. When they were finished, she took them back up to Albus’ office before Harry woke from his nap so he wouldn’t miss them.

When Harry did wake up from his nap, he stretched his little body while rubbing his eyes. He then looked around and saw his aunt, uncles. granny and grandpa all sitting and talking to each other. Wanting out, he tried to climb off the couch but couldn’t because of the cushioning charm Severus had put around him. Frustrated, he tries again but when he is not successful he yells out to get the adults’ attention.

Everyone looked over to the couch to see what was wrong and smiled when they saw Harry awake.

“Just a minute Harry and I will cancel the spell so that you can get off the couch.” said Severus. He then waved of his wand and Harry was able to get down off the couch. The little boy then made his way over to Minerva with a frown on his face.

“What’s the matter Harry?” asked Minerva.

“Yuky” Harry said pointing to his nappy.

“Oh I see you’re wet is that the problem? Would you like a dry nappy?’ asked Minerva

“Pweassssssssssssssss Gwanny.” implored Harry

Minerva turned to the three Godfathers and said, “Well gentleman here is your chance to learn how to change his nappy. Any volunteers to go first?”

Remus and Severus looked at each other then looked back at Minerva and said at simultaneously, “We volunteer Sirius!”

Minerva, Albus and Poppy all laughed at the priceless look on Sirius’ face. “Thanks a bunch.” Sirius replied with a frown.

“Anytime Padfoot.” replied an amused Remus.

Sirius went over to the couch nervously. “Ok what do I do?” he asked Minerva.

Minerva stood beside him with a fresh nappy in her hand. “Well first you need to take off the old wet one.“

Sirius leaned over Harry and undid his wet nappy and took it off completely.

“I wouldn’t take it off all the way if I were you.” suggested Albus trying to be helpful.

“Why not?” asked Sirius curiously.

Just as he finished his question he was hit with a warm yellow stream straight in the face.

“AHHHHHHHHHHH You little ..........”

A giggle came from the couch while the others in the room laughed hysterically. The only one not laughing was Sirius, who was making his way to the bathroom so he could wash his face while he muttered to himself.

“Well would one of you like to finish what Mr Black has started?” inquired Minerva.

“Sure I will try,” volunteered Severus.

Severus went over to Harry and took the nappy that Minerva was holding. He then looked at Harry and asked, “Are you finished spraying people now?”

Harry giggled and replied,”Yes, me sink so.”

Severus followed Minerva’s instructions and soon Harry has a dry nappy on and also fresh clothes as well.

“That wasn’t so hard. You just have to make sure you duck when you take the old nappy off.” Severus supplied with a chuckle remembering the look on Sirius’ face when he was hit by the stream of pee.

“Just make sure you have the clean nappy close at hand so that you can throw that onto him before your hit.” Minerva said between spurts of laughter.

“He will be ready to potty train soon. That can wait for a few weeks so that he has time to settle in with the three of you then I will explain what you need to do to help him along with that.” said Poppy.

“That would be good. When he doesn’t need a nappy anymore then we wouldn’t have to change them.” grinned Remus.

Meanwhile Harry had gone over to the corner where he had left his friends and sat down totally engrossed in playing with them, ignoring the adults.

Minerva ordered tea and sandwiches for the adults and milk, small cheese cubes and sliced fruit for Harry and they sat down to drink the tea and chat about the events that are coming up.

“Harry come have a snack please. There is milk, cheese and fruit for you.” Minerva said with a smile.

Harry came over and Minerva transfigured a chair into a high chair. She lifted Harry up into the chair and gave him his snack of milk in a sippy cup, small cheese cubes and skinless peach slices.

When Harry was finished his snack Remus washed his face and hands then changed his outfit because he got some milk on it.

Harry then went back to play with his friends.

After Harry left Albus was the first to speak up. “Well we have a busy schedule this week.” he says. “First we have James and Lily’s funerals to get through, then we have to get you boys moved in and settled into the castle as well as the contracts signed.”

“Contracts Albus?” asked Remus.

“Yes, it seems that I am in need of a History of Magic teacher and a Defense teacher. Professor Binns has decided after all these years he wants to cross over to be with his family and the defense teacher just up and left without notice last night. I was hoping that Remus would teach History of Magic and Sirius would teach Defense at least for the rest of this year. Next year you can switch to satisfy the curse on the Defense job,” Albus explained.

Remus and Sirius looked at each other and then at Severus.

“Albus do you think it would be safe for Harry in the castle if we are all teaching? Who would look after him then?” asked Severus.

“What are you trying to say Severus?” asked Albus confused.

“Well you said yourself that there are children of Death Eaters here, what if we take Harry into the muggle world and raise him until he is maybe ten then we move into the castle and start to teach. You would have to find temporary teachers until then but Harry would be safe.” suggested Severus.

“I don’t know Severus he might be safe in the castle with Dopey watching him.” Albus hesitated. Wanting Harry close to him so that he can make sure he is safe and stays on the light side.

“We can discuss this more after the funerals but I too think it would be better for Harry to be raised away from the castle.” contributed Remus.

“If its ok with you Albus we can stay in my quarters til we find a place to move to.” suggested Severus.

“Of course, my boy that is definitely all right with me.” said Albus with a frown. He wasn’t liking the fact that they didn’t want to raise Harry in the castle. He wanted Harry close to him.

At that they all got up to go to Severus’ rooms to see what they could do to make them bigger so that they would be comfy until they found a place to move to.

“Harry lets go see our temporary rooms scamp,” said Severus with a smile.

“ ‘rends doo?” asked Harry.

“Of course your friends can come with you. They are going to share your bedroom with you,” Severus informed Harry.

“ ‘tay” replied Harry with a huge smile on his face.

Minerva transfigured a bag that would hold all of Harry’s friends and then helped Harry put the animals into the bag. When everyone was inside she then shrank down the bag so he could carry it easier. She then lifted him up and started down the stairs with the others.

When they got to Severus’ quarters Minerva set Harry down so that he could explore his temporary home. Excitedly Harry started to run around the room looking at everything and touching everything he could reach. It was very good thing the house elves had moved all of Severus’ dangerous items from the living room and put them in his storage room where Harry couldn’t go.

“Your bedrooms have been decorated to suit your personality. Harry’s room has a forest with animals that move on the walls and the ceiling that is enchanted with the view of the sky like the Great Hall. Inside is a cot, a dresser, a change table, a wardrobe, a toy box already filled with some of his toys from the cottage and a small table to display his friends on.” Albus informed the adults with a smile.
Severus caught Harry and took him to show him his new room while Remus and Sirius went to look at their own bedrooms. Both rooms were done in Gryffindor colours with a four poster bed, dresser, wardrobe and a desk with a chair. There was even the Gryffindor shield on the wall opposite the bed. All in all they were rooms any Gryffindor would be proud to have.

Harry looked around his room in awe. Minerva put the bag of animals down on the floor and then enlarged it. “Harry do you want to come and put your friends out on this table?” she asked.

Harry came over to where Minerva was standing and took his little friends out of the bag while calling out their names as he does so. Soon they are all lined up on the table to Harry’s satisfaction.

“Harry before we leave your room do you need a dry nappy?” asked Severus.

“Pweassssssssssssss Unkie Sevvy,” replied Harry.

Severus picked him up and laid him down on the changing table. He grabbed a clean nappy to make sure it was ready first and then took the dirty one off and quickly replaced the old one so that he didn’t get showered on. He fastened it up then changed Harry’s robes as well so they could have dinner in the Great Hall with all the other teachers. They wanted Harry to become used to the hall for when the students got back, because then they would have to dine there everyday while they were staying in the castle.

“Ok scamp lets go find your other uncles and make our way to the Great Hall to have dinner.” said Severus.

“ ‘tay Unkie Sevvy,” replied Harry on his way out the door.

“Unkie Pafoo!!!!, Unkie Mooey!!!! “ yelled Harry.

“What is it cub?” asked Remus coming out of his bedroom.

“Go fo num nums,” stated Harry happily.

“Num nums?” asked a confused Remus.

“Yes, num nums fo tummy,” stated Harry patiently.

“Oh you mean its dinner time.” supplied Remus understanding.

“Yes num nums.” Harry told Remus as if he was mentally slow.

Remus chuckled and went to tell Sirius that their godson was ready to go to dinner with or without him because the little cub was hungry.

A few minutes later the group head up to the Great Hall. In the middle of the hall only one table was set up, since only the teachers were dining in the hall. When they walked into the door all eyes were on them, they were all curious who the little one was that Albus was carrying.
“Everyone this little chap is Harry Potter and he is going to be living here in the castle from now on. He is being raised by Severus, Remus Lupin our new History of Magic teacher and Sirius Black who is our new Defense teacher.” Albus explained to everyone.

“Albus that hasn’t been decided yet! We told you that we would discuss it after the funerals.” chided Remus.



“Of course Remus how forgetful of me. Please make them feel welcomed. I ask that you approach Harry one at a time, groups of people may frighten him right now. With that said shall we eat?” sighed Albus.

“Num nums Gwampy,” replied Harry.

“Of course my dear boy. Let us get you into your chair so that you may have some num nums.” Albus stated indulgently.

The rest of the staff chuckled at the exchange between Harry and Albus. After everyone was seated Albus tapped his wand onto the table once and the food popped up for everyone to enjoy. Harry clapped and the neat trick Grandpa did.

That night Harry was so tired that as soon as he laid down in his cot he fell right to sleep with Prongs and Tigger snuggled in beside him.

Two hours after laying Harry into his cot there was a scream coming from his room. All three men ran for the bedroom to see what was wrong. Harry was sitting in his cot crying hysterically. He was crying for his mummy and dada. Sirius went and picked up Harry and tried to comfort him.

“Harry what’s wrong little snitch?” asked Sirius.

But all Harry did was cry for his mummy and dada.

“I’m sorry little snitch but they can’t be here for you. Uncle Moony, Uncle Severus and I are here for you. We can’t fix it if you don’t tell us what is wrong.” Sirius said.

“Gween wight hurt mummy.” sobbed Harry.

“Oh dear Merlin he remembers seeing Lily’s death. What do we do?” asked Remus with a frown.

“Not sure except maybe calm him down then put him back to bed and hope he doesn’t dream of that night again.” answered Severus.

Remus conjured a rocking chair and Sirius sat in it with Harry in his arms and tried to calm him down.

“Sing him his song that will calm him down so that he will go back to sleep. We forgot to sing it too him before he went to sleep earlier.” said Severus.

Sirius sat rocking in the chair and sang the song to Harry and it was working.

He was finally back to sleep so Sirius got up and put him back in his cot. But as soon as Harry came into contact with the mattress he was wide awake and screaming again.

Every time they would calm him down and then lay him down into the cot he would wake up screaming.

Finally they decided to call Albus and Minerva for their opinion. They both flooed back to their apartment.

“What seems to be the problem gentlemen?” asked Albus curiously.

“A couple of hours ago Harry woke up screaming so we went in and Sirius calmed him down and he fell asleep again but as soon as he put him down in the cot he woke up screaming. This happened no matter who rocked him to sleep. Every time he was put into the cot he would wake up screaming. We are at our wits end at what to do. Any ideas?” explained Severus while bouncing Harry in his arms.

Both Albus and Minerva thought about it for a bit then Minerva seemed like she had a lumos charm go off in her brain.

“I believe I know what the problem is.” Minerva said.

“What is it Minerva?” asked Albus.

“Well he was in his cot when You Know Who came into his room and he watched his Mum being killed while still in his cot then You Know Who tried to kill him and I am sure the spell hitting him hurt him a lot. So know he associates his cot with pain and sorrow.” answered Minerva.

“Wow never thought of that.” said Sirius.

“We can go get him a toddler bed tomorrow morning but what do we do for tonight. We tried to put him down on the couch so he could sleep but he woke up screaming even then.” stated Remus.

“He is probably feeling insecure right now so the only thing you can do is hold him while he sleeps. I say one stays up holding him whle the other two go to bed to get some sleep. Then after some time one of the others wakes up and takes the one that is awake’s place and they go to bed to get some sleep.” Minerva put forward.

“Good idea Minerva. I will take first shift as I have him in my arms at this time. One of you can relieve me later on.” suggested Severus.

“I will relieve you next Severus?” replied Remus.

Severus took Harry over to his chair and sat down and got comfortable, then reached for the book he was reading. He turned to the page he left off at and started to read.

They all said good night and separated again for the night.

Severus read for a bit but had so much on his mind that he marked his place and put the book down. He couldn’t believe how his day had gone. This morning he was grieving his best friend in the world and now he was holding her son in his arms. He sure didn’t see that coming. He was still grieving for his friend but now he has something or he should say someone to distract him from that grief. He thought about his friend and the good times they had together. How he missed her after the incident in fifth year. He did finally get to apologize to her years later.

YEAR AND A BIT EARLIER

Severus had gotten a note from Lily Potter earlier today asking him to met her at the Leaky Cauldron in room 22. Severus was curious as to what she wanted so he made his way to the Leaky Cauldron.

When he got there Lily was there already. She was more beautiful now then she was back in fifth year.

“Severus you came! I am so glad you could come!” exclaimed Lily with a huge smile.

“You wanted to see me Mrs Potter?” asked Severus.

“Oh so that is how it is going to be eh.” replied an amused Lily.

“Ok Mr Snape...” Lily started.

“That is Master Snape actually Mrs Potter.” interrupted Severus.

“Congratulations on your Mastery Severus!” exclaimed Lily excitedly.

“Thank you Mrs Potter.” replied Severus.

“Oh Severus please stop with the formalities. I wanted to chat with my friend not this cold bitter person.” stated a tearful Lily.

“Aren’t you a lot of years late in that since you haven’t wanted to chat with me since the end of fifth year.” snapped Severus with a sneer.

“Your right Severus I should have talked to you after I had calmed down and worked it out with you then. The only excuse I have is that you seemed to get on with your life without me. You had made other friends and didn’t seem to need me any more.” Lily replied with tears in her eyes.

Severus never could deny Lily anything when she had tears in her beautiful green eyes.

“Yes you should have come to talk it out with me and just so you know I missed you terribly. The people you say I was friends with were only acquaintances. They meant nothing to me.” Severus explained.

“All these years because I misunderstood. I’m sorry Severus. Please forgive me.” Lily said with remorse.

“Oh Lily only if you forgive me for calling you that awful name. I am so sorry I did and I don’t know what was going around in my head to even use that despicable name. Forgive me please.” begged Severus.

“Your forgiven Severus.” stated Lily with tears running down her checks. Rubbing her baby bump.

“As you are forgiven Lily. When are you due?” asked Severus.

“The end of July. We know the baby is a boy and his name is Harrison James Potter.” replied.

“Congratulations Lily.” declared Severus with a small smile.

“Thank you Sev.” replied Lily with a smile.

They stayed together for about three hours just talking about their lives since they had last talked. It was like nothing had ever happened but they both knew that there had been a breach in their friendship but now it is on the way to be repaired.

END FLASHBACK

After that meeting they kept in contact. Next time they met was after Harry was born. They met in room 22 like the last time. Lily had Harry with her because she wanted to show him off to her best friend. Severus held Harry all the time they were together. Now here he is holding him again but without his best friend being here. Severus reached up and wiped away a tear that had fallen down at the thought of his best friend not being there anymore.

Harry began to fuss a bit and Severus patted his little bum to calm him down and put him back to sleep but Harry woke up and whimpered.

“What is wrong scamp?” asked Severus.

“Vet” Harry answered.

Severus got up and went into Harry’s room and put him on the change table. After he changed his nappy Severus picked him up and headed over to the cot. Harry stiffened and started to cry.

“Shhh Harry I am not putting you down I just want to get your blanket so I can wrap it around you so you don’t get cold.” stated Severus.

Harry calmed down but had Severus’ shirt in a death grip. Severus then sat in the rocking chair, laid Harry down in his arms and tucked the blanket around him tightly. As he rocked Harry he hummed his song and patted his little bum. Harry wiggled around a bit then settled down and was asleep quickly.

Severus went back into the living room and sat in his chair and picked up his book and read til Remus came out of his room for his shift.

“Any problems Severus? asked Remus.

“No problems just woke once because he needed his nappy changed then he went right back to sleep.” explained Severus.

Seveus stood up and had handed Harry over to Remus. Harry woke startled.

“Its ok Harry your safe. Its Uncle Moony...I will be holding you now so that Uncle Severus can go get some sleep.” explained Remus.

Harry sighed wiggled a bit then went back to sleep knowing that someone had him and he was safe from the man with the red eyes.

“Night Remus.” said Severus on his way to his bedroom.

“Night Severus.” replied Remus as he got comfortable in Severus’ chair. Remus had brought a book with him so that he could do some reading about history.

Remus wasn’t reading much as he was thinking of the friend that he had just lost. He was really missing James. He can’t imagine what life is going to be like without him in his life. He will still grieve but now he had someone to take care of that will help with his grieving. His friend’s pride and joy. Harry talks better than most fifteen months old because he has been around adults all his life so he has picked up words faster. James was so proud of the fact that he could talk to his son and his son would answer back. James thought that was the best thing ever.

A MONTH BEFORE

James came into the living room carrying a giggling Harry over his shoulder. James put Harry down and he went right to his toy box.

“Moony isn’t he the best!” gushed James with a wide smile and proud look.

“Yes he is Prongs.” replied Remus with his own wide smile.

“He is growing so fast. It seemed that one minute he was this tiny thing that only ate, pooped and peed and now look at him. He’s walking and talking. I can actually have a conversation with him Moony. I ask him a question and he will answer me...its enlightening I tell you. “ James said with a bit of a stunned look on his face.

Harry came over to James, “Dada ubbles pweasss.” asked Harry with puppy dog eyes.

“Of course Harry would you like them to be in shapes or round?” James asked.

“‘apes pweass.” answered Harry.

As James made the shaped bubbles for his son he looked at him with pride.

“This little person I helped make and now can talk and answer questions. He is so intelligent Moony and I am so lucky and flabbergasted at the same time.” James said with a pride shining off of him like a beacon.

END FLASHBACK

James was just so captivated with his son. He watched him all the time just so he wouldn’t miss a moment of his life and now he is gone. He just hopes that where ever they are that they can still see their son.

Remus went back to reading until Sirius came out of his room to start his shift with Harry.

“Everything go all right Moony?” asked Sirius yawning.

“Everything was good. He fussed a bit but I hummed his song and he settled back down.” replied Remus with his own yawn.

They transferred Harry over to Sirius and he fussed a bit.

“Its alright Harry its Uncle Padfoot. I am going to hold you for awhile its ok go back to sleep.” said Sirius bouncing Harry a bit. Harry settled down after wiggling a bit.

Sirius went into Harry’s room and sat on the rocking chair and gently rocked. He wasn’t sure if he was rocking for Harry’s comfort or for his own. Sirius remembered the day that Harry was born. James was so proud and was beyond happy.

FLASHBACK

James and Sirius was in Lily’s room at the hospital not long after Harry was born. Lily was sleeping after giving birth to the baby.

“Padfoot I can’t believe he’s here. He is finally here so that I can hold him.” James said cuddling the infant in his arms. He just couldn’t seem to put him down. He wants to always hold him and protect him.

“He looks like you Prongs.” stated Sirius.

James looks down at the baby and then looked up.

“Your right he does look like me.” James said with a glint in his eyes.

“He is so precious Padfoot I would do anything to keep him safe. I would even lay my life down for him if it meant he was safe. We want you to be his godfather Padfoot. Will you promise me that you will keep him safe even it means you loose your life?” demanded James looking right into Sirius’ eyes.

“I swear on my magic that I will do everything in my power to keep Prongslet safe, even it means I have to lay my life down to do it.” replied Sirius looking back into James’ eyes.

James smiled. “I know you will Padfoot.”

They spent the rest of the night just talking softly. Lily would wake up to feed the baby and then hand him back to his father and go back to sleep.

END OF FLASHBACK

Sirius thought of that night with fondness. It is the only time that James brought up his little snitches safety. That night was so special to Sirius as it was the day he was named godfather to one Harrison James Potter. He was on cloud nine for quite some time afterwards.

Around seven am Harry started to stir. He opened his eyes and looked up at his uncle and then gave him a big smile. He now knew that he was safe. He didn’t know where Mummy and Dada are but its ok for now because he has Unkie Mooey and Unkie Pafoo and also Unkie Sevvy.

Severus and Remus both came out of their rooms about the same time. Remus went over to Sirius and Harry.

“Harry why don’t you come with me so you can have your bath and get dressed.” suggested Remus.

Harry thought for a bit and decided it would be a good idea.
He leaned over towards Remus who caught him and headed for Harry’s bathroom.

“Padfoot why don’t you go have a shower and change then we can go up and have breakfast in the Great Hall.” suggest Remus over his shoulder.

“Good idea Moony.” replied Sirius on his way to his room.

They all met up in the living room.

“Ok is everyone ready?” asked Severus.

“Yes lets go I am hungry.” stated Sirius just as his stomach rumbled.

Harry giggled as his godfathers laughed.

When they got to the Great Hall they saw that Albus and Minerva were there.

“How was your night gentlemen?” asked Albus.

“It was good but we are definitely getting him a toddler bed today because I can’t do that again tonight.” replied Severus with a yawn.

After breakfast Remus went to Hogsmeade to look for a toddler’s bed.

He came back with one and they all gathered in Harry’s room and Severus shrunk the cot and then picked it up and put it in his pocket. Harry giggled and clapped his little hands. Remus then placed the toddler’s bed on the floor and resized it to its proper size.

“This is your new big boy bed Harry.” said Remus looking at Harry.

“Hawwy big boy?” asked Harry.

“Yes Harry you are a big boy so now you have a bed instead of a cot.” replied Severus.

Harry went over to the bed and looked it over then he climbed up onto it and stood up on it. He ran from one end of the bed to the other end giggling. Harry climbed up and down the bed then laid his head down on the pillow and giggled. Meanwhile Albus, Minerva, Remus, Sirius and Severus were watching his antics with smiles on their faces.

“So scamp do you like your new bed?” asked Severus.

“Hawwy’s a big boy now” replied Harry who still had his head on his pillow.

After lunch they returned to their quarters so that Harry could lay down for his nap but the little scamp refused to lay down.

“No nap, me big boy,” Harry stated determinedly.

“But you are tired and need to have a nap Harry,” Sirius almost pleaded with the little boy.

“NO NAP,” yelled Harry.

The three men huddled to determine what to do, Harry was so tired and needed to have a nap or he would be very grumpy all afternoon. Finally, Remus came up with an idea and they all agreed to see whether it would work.

“Ok Harry you win you don’t have to take a nap but you do have to lay on your bed and rest for a bit like big boys do. Are you going to be a big boy lay on your bed with your eyes closed and rest?” asked Remus.

“West?” asked Harry.

“Yes Harry. Come on Harry and we will show you how.” replied Remus.

They all went into Harry’s room and Remus puts Harry into his bed with Prongs and Tigger on either side of him. “Ok Harry all you have to do is lay there and close your eyes for awhile. One of us will come and get you when your rest time is over. OK?” explained Remus.

“ ‘tay Unkie Mooey.” replied Harry.

Harry closed his eyes, and within seconds he was sound asleep. From then on Harry no longer had naps, but he had rest times, because he was a big boy.

Time flew with everything that was happening In just a few short days they had to prepare James’ and Lily’s funerals, move Remus and Sirius into the castle temorarily and prepare for the students return a few days after the funerals.

Suddenly it was the day of the funerals and they had to rush to get everything ready. They all had breakfast in the Great Hall then they separated to get ready to attend the funeral. Severus first put on his dress robes and then took Harry into his room checked his nappy and then dressed him in his new dress robes and his new shoes which really fascinated Harry to distraction. Harry sat on the side of his bed admiring his new shoes while Severus packed his bag just in case he needed to be changed before they got back to the castle.
After packing Harry’s bag Severus put a warm cloak with a hood and a warming charm on Harry, so that the little boy would not catch a chill. He also remembered to pack an extra blanket in Harry’s bag just in case Harry did get cold he could be wrapped up in it snug as a bug.

They headed out of the castle as a group. When they got just past the gates they all apparated to Godric Hallow’s graveyard where the ceremony was to take place.

Despite it being a chilly day there was a good crowd in the church where the ceremony was to take place.

Albus got up welcomed everyone and shared his thoughts and memories of James and Lily. Every once in awhile people would chuckle at a funny part in his tales. Then Minerva got up and shared her memories of the couple with everyone and again the crowd would chuckle at the couples antics. Sirius and Remus went up together and shared their memories of their honourary brother and sister. They told of some of the antics they got up to during their time at Hogwarts and some of their adventures after they were done school. They even included the bachelor party that they had thrown James the night before he married Lily, where they got drunk and then as one last adventure the next morning they decided to run through a muggle park naked as the day they were born. When Lily had found out about it she was mad and had sent stinging hexes towards each of them directed to a place no wizard wanted a stinging hex. Many of the wizards in the crowd crossed their legs with a wince thankful it was not them that had gone through that.

Severus was the last speaker, he stepped up onto the dais and made his way to the podium. He looked out at all the people who braved the cold to come say goodbye to James and Lily. He knew some of them were there just for publicity but he knew that the majority of them were there to say a sincere goodbye.

“In closing I would like to read to you a poem that Lily always liked.” Severus sadly said.

Just as he was starting to talk there was a commotion in the front seats. He looked down and there was Harry fighting Black to get down.

“Dow Unkie Pafoo........wan Unkie Sevvy. Dow. Dow. Dow.” insisted Harry emphatically.

“Uncle Severus is busy Harry you need to stay here.” said Sirius.

“NO wan Unkie Sevvy.” demanded Harry who then kicked out his leg and made contact with Sirius’ leg making the man yelp in pain and instinctively let go of Harry.

Harry then ran up to the dias and attempted to climb it yelling,”Unkie Sevvy!!!!”

Severus looked over to where Harry was trying to climb the dias and quickly excused himself for a minute. He went over and picked Harry up and took him back to the podium with him.

“Harry what is wrong?” asked Severus gently.

“Wan ‘ou Unkie Sevvy.” replied Harry.

“Ok Harry but if you stay up here with me you have to be quiet. SSShhhhhhhh.” said Severus with his finger over his mouth.

Sirius was making a fuss about Harry being up on the dias with Severus until he heard his godson’s next words.

“Shhhhhhhhhhh Unkie Pafoo, Unkie Sevvy day doe” said Harry with his little finger over his mouth.

Everyone chuckled a bit at a grown man, an auror at that being told by a one year old to be quiet. That effectively made Sirius stay quiet.

“Sorry for the interruption ladies and gentleman. Now the poem like I said was a favourite of Lily’s and I thought it appropriate to read it at the end of her funeral,” said Severus as he leaned his head onto Harry’s who had laid his head on Severus’ shoulder with his little thumb in his mouth.

Severus cleared his throat and then read the poem in a clear soft voice.


When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me
I Want no rites in a gloom filled room
Why cry for a soul set free
Miss me a little - but not too long
And not with your head bowed low
Remember the fun and love we shared
Miss me - but let me go
For this is a journey that we must take
And each must go alone
Its all in the Master’s plan
A final step on the road to home
When you are lonely and sick at heart
Go to the friends you know
And bury your sorrow in doing good deeds
Miss me - but let me go.

~Amy Louise Kerswell

Severus wiped a stray tear off his cheek and then said, “Goodbye James and Lily Potter we will miss you but we will let you go.”

With that said Severus walked down off the dais and approached Lily’s coffin with Harry still in his arms. The others gathered around them.

“Harry its time to say goodbye to Mummy and Dada,” Severus sadly told Harry.

Harry looked at Severus. “ ‘day go bye bye now?”

“Yes Harry. Say bye bye to Mummy.” encouraged Severus.

“Bye bye Mummy, wub ‘ou an miss ‘ou” said Harry then he put his little hand up to his mouth kissed it and then extended it towards Lily.

“Nice kiss Harry. I am sure Mummy loved it,’ Severus told Harry.

They moved over to James’ coffin.

“Now say bye bye to Dada.” Severus says.

“Bye bye Dada, wub ‘ou doo an miss ‘ou doo.” Again, Harry lifted his little hand to his mouth kisses it then extended it towards James.

Then Harry started to cry heart wrenching sobs while burying his face into Severus’ neck. It broke the hearts of all who were watching the touching scene of this adorable little boy saying goodbye to his recently deceased parents. There wasn’t a dry eye to be seen in the room.

“Albus I am going to take him back to the castle for a bit and calm him down. We will see you in the Great Hall once I have managed to calm him down.” said Severus while patting the little boy’s back gently.

“Yes my dear boy take him in where it is warm and calm him down. We will see you in the Great Hall in a little bit.” replied Albus.

Severus just nodded his head while he gathered Harry closer to him and apparated to the gates of Hogwarts and then headed for their quarters.

Once Severus entered their quarters he went over to his favourite chair and sat down with Harry still cradled in his arms. He started to rock back and forth while singing Harry’s favourite song softly to him. Harry is holding onto Severus’ robes tightly. Harry soon calmed down to where he is only hiccuping.

Severus took Harry to the bathroom and set him on the counter. Gently he washed all traces of his tears off his little face. He then took him to his room and changed his nappy as well as his robes as they were damp from his wet nappy.

“Well Harry shall we go see what your uncles and grandparents are doing?” asked Severus calmly.

“ ‘tay. ‘rends doo?” questioned Harry softly.

Severus looked over at all the stuffed toys that big Harry transfigured for little Harry who were sitting on a small table in Harry’s room. “You may take two of your friends with you. Which ones do you wish to take?”

“Pwongs an ‘igger pweasssssssssssss.” answered Harry.

“Very well lets go.” Severus replied after handing the two stuffed animals to Harry. He then picked Harry up and walked to the Great Hall with the little boy in his arms. They had decided to hold the reception here.

The halls were deserted as they walked because the students were sent home on a mini holiday to celebrate the defeat of Voldemort. They will be returning back to school next week.

The two entered the Great Hall and all eyes turned to them. Severus ignored everyone and headed over to where Remus, Sirius, Minerva and Albus were standing and talking.

“How is he Severus?” asked Minerva with concern in her voice.

“He is doing well. Aren’t you Harry?” asked Severus.

Harry looked up and nodded still clutching Prongs and Tigger tightly to him for comfort.

“Harry would you like some pumpkin juice?” asked Minerva

Harry nodded his head.

“Harry a verbal answer please.” admonished Severus.

Harry looked at Severus who rose an eyebrow then looked at Minerva and said, “Pweasssssssssssss Gwanny.”

“Very good Harry.” commended Severus with a little smile.

Harry looked up at him and smiled, he liked it when Unkie Sevvy praised him, it made him feel all warm inside.

When Minerva returned with Harry’s juice, Severus put him down on the floor. That was so he could sit to drink his juice and play with his two friends as well. Harry was content with this arrangement as long as he could see someone he knew standing next too him.

A little while later Sirius came over and knelt down to tell Harry that there were some people who would like him to meet. Sirius took Harry’s hand and led him over to a nice looking couple with red hair.

Sirius said to Harry, “Harry this is Mr and Mrs Weasley. They wanted to say hello to you. Can you say hello to them?”

“Hewwo.” Harry said shyly while clutching Sirius’ robes tightly.

“What a little darling you are.” Mrs Weasley cooed.

“How about I bring my children over here to meet you so that you can have some friends to play with.” Mrs Weasley says motioning her children to come towards her. Six children of varying ages came over to stand by their mother.

Harry took one look at all the redheads his eyes widened to the size of saucers. Then, he screeched, lets go of Sirius’ robes and runs calling out, “Unkie Sevvy Unkie Sevvy UNKIE SEVVY”

Half way to his uncle Harry tripped and fell but before anyone could rush to him he picked himself up with a disgusted “WATS” and continued to where his uncle was standing.

The people who were standing in that area had all heard what Harry said had laughed while telling each other how cute he was.

When Harry got to his destination he slammed into Severus’ legs. He wrapped his little arms around Severus’ one leg and held on for dear life, while at the same time trying to hide under Severus’ outer robes.

Severus had heard Harry yelling for him and was about to rush to him to see what the matter was, but then he saw Harry running to him and he stayed put to watch his journey across the room. When Harry tripped it was hard for Severus not to run to him and pick him up to see if he hurt himself but he noticed that the little scamp picked himself up unharmed. He then heard Harry utter a toddler version of “RATS” in a disgusted voice. Severus shook his head with a small smile on his lips. It appeared he would need a chat with Black about watching what he said around the little scamp. He then he felt a little body slamming into his legs and little arms clamping around one of his legs in a vice grip. He looked down at the little scamp then bent down and picked him up. When Harry was securely in his arms Severus felt a little nose dive into his neck.

“Harry what is the matter?” asked Severus.

“ ‘cared,” replied Harry.

“What are you scared of?” Severus. inquired

Harry pointed over to where he had come from and replied, “Wots!”

Severus looked over to where Black was standing with the Weasley clan and understanding hit him.

“Yes there are a lot of them isn’t there?” Severus admitted.

“But Harry they won’t hurt you. They want to be your friend,” continued Severus.

“Wewwy?” asked a surprised Harry.

“Yes really.” replied Severus.

“Would you like me to go with you to meet the Weasleys Harry?” asked Severus.

Harry nodded his head and said. “Pweasss Unkie Sevvy.”

Severus and Harry headed over to where the Weasley clan were still standing. When they got there Severus inclined his head towards Mr Weasley saying, “Arthur” Then turned to Mrs Weasley inclined his head again saying, “Molly”.

Both Mr and Mrs Weasley inclined their heads saying, “Severus”.

Severus puts Harry down onto the floor in front of him between his feet and Harry automatically lent back against his legs clutching part of Severus’ robes in each of his little hands.

“Severus why did Harry run away like that?” asked a confused Sirius.

“Sirius you have to remember that the majority of his little life Harry was in hiding with his parents with no contact with other children and a limited number of adults as well. When all of the Weasley children came forward all at once it overwhelmed him and frightened him. He is not use to so many people around him. Why do you think he is sticking so close to us and not running around like he does in our quarters?” explained Severus patiently.

“Oh dear, the poor thing, I should have thought of that.” moaned Mrs Weasley. “I am sorry Harry for scaring you like that. The children just wanted to meet you and say hello.” said Mrs Weasley with tears in her eyes.

“ ‘tay,” replied Harry with a shy smile.

Mrs Weasley smiled back then asked, “Harry would you like to meet my children one at a time?”

“Pweassss,” said Harry still a little frightened and he grabbed onto Severus’ robe tighter.

She motioned for a tall boy who is holding a baby to come over. When he reached her Mrs Weasley took the baby from him and handed her to Mr Weasley.

“Harry this is our oldest son, his name is Bill and he is almost 11 years old. He will be starting Hogwarts next year.” stated Mrs Weasley.

“Hi Harry,” said Bill with a smile.

“Hi,” replied Harry with a shy smile and a tight grip on Severus’ robes.

Mrs Weasley then motioned another boy over to her. “Harry this is Charlie and he is almost 9 years old.”

“Hi there Harry.” said Charlie with a huge smile.

“Hi,” returned Harry with a shy smile.

“This is Percy and he is 5 years old,” continued Mrs Weasley.

“Hello Harry. It is a pleasure to meet you,” said Percy while his older brothers just rolled their eyes.

Harry looked at Percy strangely then said, ”Hi.”

Mrs Weasley then signaled two boys forward and when Harry saw them he couldn’t believe what he saw. The two boys looked exactly alike. Harry looked up at Severus puzzled.

“Harry these two rascals are our twins. They are 3 years old. This is Fred (looking to her right) and this is George (looking to her left).” stated Mrs Weasley.

“Hi Harry” Fred and George all but yelled together.

Harry tried to step back farther and hide under Severus’ robes but the man stopped him from hiding.

“Fred and George not so loud boys you’re scaring Harry. He is not use to having rascals like you two around, like your brothers are.” admonished their Mother.

“Sorry,” both boys said at the same time.

“Hi Harry,” said Fred a lot calmer.

“We want to be your friend,” added George
.
“Hi. ‘tay.” answers Harry shyly.

The twins smiled then stepped back and a little boy about Harry’s size came forward to take a hold of Mrs Weasley’s hand.

“Harry this is Ronnie and he is your age. Ronnie say hello to Harry,” said Mrs Weasley.

“No no no no,” yelled Ronnie.

“Ronald be a good boy and say hello to Harry,” demanded Mrs Weasley.

“Hi,” said Ronnie reluctantly.

“Hi,” returned Harry with a frown.

Mrs Weasley took the baby from her husband and gently pushed Ronnie towards him with a certain look that only married couples could understand. She then turned towards Harry and Severus.

“This little angel is our youngest child and only girl. Her name is Ginerva but we call her Ginny for short. She is almost 3 months old.”

Harry looked at the baby then up at Severus and said, “Pwetty Unkie Sevvy”

“Yes Harry Ginny is a pretty little girl.” replied Severus.

Harry then looked at Sirius and said,”Pwetty Unkie Pafoo.”

“Your right Harry Ginny is pretty. She is gonna be a real heartbreaker.” replied Sirius.

“Sevvy, Severus? I have never heard anyone call you Sevvy.” enquired Arthur.

“Mummy do,” said Harry helpfully.

“Lily was the only person that ever dared to call me Sevvy and apparently she passed that name onto Harry here. They are the only ones allowed to use the name” explained Severus.

“Mummy and Hawwy do.” supplied Harry helpfully.

“Thats right scamp only you and Mummy,” replied Severus with a small smile.

Harry smiled up at his uncle.

This was the moment the twins decided to be the adventurous duo they are and carefully approached Harry as they would not frighten him and asked together,”Hey Harry maybe we can play together sometime.”

Harry looked up at Severus first then over to Sirius for an answer, which Sirius supplied for him “We will see what can be arranged gentlemen.” said Sirius with a huge grin.

The twins returned his smile with a “Brilliant”.

“Unkie Sevvy?”

“Yes Harry?” answered Severus.

“Yukky,” said Harry pointing to his nappy.

“Your wet?” asked Severus.

“Wet,” confirmed Harry.

“Ok scamp I am sure Uncle Sirius will be glad to help you with your problem. Won’t you Uncle Sirius?” Severus said with a smirk.

“Severus you know what happened last time I changed him.” whined Sirius.

“Well this time make sure he is finished before taking the old nappy off and you won’t get showered on.” declared Severus helpfully.

There were snickers heard from the Weasley clan and Sirius went a bit red.

“Pweasss Unkie Pafoo,” pleaded Harry then he giggled remembering the first time Unkie Pafoo changed his nappy.

“Alright little snitch. Where is his bag Severus?’ Sirius asked giving into his godson’s pleas.

“Minerva took it from me when we got here. So you will have to ask her.” supplied Severus.

“Sirius?”

Sirius turned around to face Arthur Weasley who was the one who had called to him.

‘Yes Arthur?”

“If all else fails duck, “ suggested Arthur Weasley before dissolving into a fit of laughter. He was joined by Molly, Severus and the two older children.

Sirius took Harry’s hand and lead him over to where Minerva was chatting with some people.

“Excuse me for interrupting but Minerva where is Harry’s bag he needs to be changed,” requested Sirius.

“It is over by the back entrance door. You can change him in the back room there Sirius,” replied Minerva.

“Great. Lets go little snitch,” said Sirius.

“Oh and Sirius remember to keep him covered so that you don’t get covered again,” commented Minerva helpfully with a giggle.

“Ya ya ha ha,” muttered Sirius on the way to the back room.

He changed Harry’s nappy with no problems this time and then took him back to the gathering. Looking around for Remus, he spotted him and then he took Harry over so that he could say hi.

“Hi there cub!” said Remus with a smile.

“Unkie Mooey!!!!” an excited Harry all but yelled, while wrapping his little arms around Remus’ one leg.

“Wow quite the reception. Thank you Harry,” says Remus with a huge smile on his lips.

“Unkie Mooey?”

“Yes Harry?” answered Remus.

“Me hunggee,” replied Harry rubbing his little tummy which chose that exact moment to gurgle letting everyone know that Harry was definitely hungry.

Harry giggled at the noise and so did both Remus and Sirius.

“Well then, let us get you something to feed that tummy before it lets out another roar,” suggested Remus with a chuckle.

“ ‘tay,” replied Harry.

They walked towards the food table and half way there they encountered Minerva who was looking for Harry.

“Oh good you are already heading for the food table. I was just coming to find you for lunch.” said Minerva.

“Yes Minerva we are,” replied Remus with a smile.

“Gwanny me tummy roareded,” supplied Harry seriously.

“It did?” replied Minerva trying to keep a straight face. She was finding it hard not to laugh at his oh so serious expression.

Harry nodded his head and said.”Yes”

“Well then you better go feed it before it roars again, don’t you think,” suggested Minerva with a grin.

“ ‘tay,” replied Harry dragging Remus to the table while Minerva shook her head laughing on her way to let Molly Weasley know that lunch was on the table and to help themselves when they were ready to eat.

She then made her way back to the food table and after filling a plate for herself she took a seat beside Albus at the table he was sharing with Severus, Sirius, Remus and Harry.

After he was done his lunch Harry looked over to Minerva and told her proudly,”Gwanny no can roareded.”

“No Harry your tummy can’t roar now because its full. Good job sweetie.” Minerva answered with a smile.

Harry started to rub his eyes sleepily.

“Looks like someone is ready for a nap,” commented an elderly witch passing by the table.

Harry sat up straight saying, ”No nap!!”

“Of course you need a nap young man. A little one your age needs to have a nap every afternoon.” declared the elderly witch.

“No nap!!!!!!” declared Harry starting to get upset.

“Harry. Harry look at me,” demanded Severus softly.

Harry looked at his uncle with tears in his eyes. Severus went over and lifted him up into his arms.

“Your right Harry you don’t have naps do you? What do you have in the afternoons Harry?” asked Severus wiping the tears off Harry’s cheeks.

“Me west Unkie Sevvy,” explained Harry proudly.

“Thats right because big boys don’t have to have a nap but they do have to rest on their beds don’t they scamp?” questions Severus.

“Yes Unkie Sevvy,” replied Harry nodding his head.

“Well he is still a baby and needs his sleep. I don’t think it’s a good idea him being raised by three bachelors in a school off all things. This school is not a proper place for a baby, it is not safe for him here and I will be talking to Albus Dumbledore about this before the day is over you can be sure of that.” threatened the elderly witch.

Severus looked around the room and spotted Minerva not far from them so with a smirk he called for her to join them. When she joined them Severus told her,”Minerva this lady standing here said she objects to the three of us raising Harry and that Hogwart’s isn’t a good or safe place to raise him, which I agree with and she was going to tell Albus so. What do you think of that?”

Minerva listened to Severus and when he was finished she turned to the elderly witch. “Is that true Alicia?”

“As a matter of fact that is exactly right Minerva,” the elderly witch said.

“Well then let us go find Albus and discuss this right now and get it done with,” suggested Minerva with a bit of steel in her voice.

They all wandered over to where Albus was standing talking to a few people.

“Excuse me but before you start your discussion the scamp and I are going to our quarters now. It is rest time for the scamp. Harry say bye bye to Granny and Grampy, “ said Severus.

“Bye bye Gwanny. Bye bye Gwampy me go west,” Harry informed them.

“Bye for now Sweetie. You have a good rest,” said Minerva kissing his little cheek.

“Bye my dear boy and have a good rest,” said Albus.

As Severus turned to go find Sirius and Remus Harry looked over Severus’ shoulder at his Grandparents and put his little hand to his mouth then extended it towards them. They both smiled at him and waved then turned back to the wicked......I mean elderly witch.

Sirius and Remus were standing talking to the Weasleys when Severus found them.

“Gentlemen, just wanted you to know that Harry and I are heading to our quarters for his rest time. Harry say bye bye to everyone,” said Severus.

Harry rubbed his eyes then looked up and says,”Bye bye.” Then laid his head down onto Severus’ shoulder.

“Have a good rest Harry and we will see you later. Severus do you mind if we stay and talk to people?” Remus enquired.

“No Remus go ahead I have some marking to finish so I will stay with him. Enjoy yourself,” Severus offered.

Severus inclined his head towards the Weasleys then turned and headed down to their quarters to lay the little scamp down for his rest “nap” time, for it has been a long morning for the little guy

By the time Severus laid Harry down onto his bed, took his shoes and robe off and covered him up he was sound asleep. Severus stood there for a minute just looking down at the little one thinking how in such a short time this little person has come to mean so much to him and how very protective he felt towards the little one. He stood there remembering big Harry and his upbringing and he thanked Merlin that it would not be that way this time. He would fight anyone who tried to take Harry away from them. This child left his custody over his dead body. With a sigh Severus put a monitoring spell on the sleeping boy and then left the room closing the door only part way and headed to his desk to mark potion essays for the return of the dunderheads next week.