Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 7 Life Goes On
Thanks goes to my wonderful beta Chrissysmiles!



Chapter Seven - Life Goes On

A couple of days later they were in Gringotts for the reading of James’ and Lily’s will. There was Remus, Sirius, Severus, Minerva. Albus, Harry, Augusta Longbottom and Amelia Bones.

“We are here to listen to the will of James Charlus Potter and Lily Rose Potter nee Evans.” an estate goblin said.

He placed a crystal on the table and then tapped it with his finger so that it would play. An image of James and Lily came up.

“Hello all our friends and family....” the image of James started but was interrupted.

“Mummy! Dada!” shouted Harry excitedly.

He was sitting on Sirius’ lap. “Harry that isn’t really your mummy and dada. It’s just a picture of them that talks. Remember they had to go away and can’t come back.” He explained to Harry with sadness.

At that time Harry burst into tears crying out for his parents. It took awhile and several renditions of his song to calm him enough for the reading to continue.

The goblin restarted the crystal with a frustrated look.

“Hello all our friends and family. If you are watching this then we are dead, obviously. First of all to the Director of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement we would like to tell you that Peter Arnold Pettigrew was our secret keeper. If we died at the hand of Lord Voldemort then it was Pettigrew who betrayed us. Make him pay for his betrayal please.” declared James.

To Remus John Lupin we leave you 10 000 gallons. Enjoy them Moony!” supplied Lily.

To our wonderful godson Neville Franklin Longbottom we leave the set of books that we would read to you and 10 000 gallons. Wish we coud be there to watch you grow to be the man we know you will be.” started James.

Lily continued, “To Severus Tobias Snape we leave my research notes, a case of potion ingredients that I had collected and 10 000 gallons. Use them well Sev.”

“To Minerva Abigail McGonagall we leave a set of transfiguration books and 10 000 gallons. Use them well Minerva.” stated James with a smile.

“To Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore we leave a set of books that you were so fascinated with and 10 000 gallons. Enjoy the books Albus.” Lily said with a smile.

“To Sirius Orion Black we leave you the collection of figurines that you always admired and 10 000. I know you don’t need the gallons Padfoot but use them for a good cause.” continued James.

“As for Harry our wonderful and intelligent son we leave you everything else. You won’t be able to access the main vaults 666 and 710 but your trust fund vault 687 is for you to spend during your seven years of Hogwarts. It is topped up every two years so ration it in those two years. We leave you Godric’s Hallow Cottage, Potter Manor and Marauder’s Den. We also leave you the Potter invisibity cloak...if it isn’t in the vault have the goblins recall it and give it to Moony to hold until you go to Hogwarts. Speaking of Hogwarts we want to let you know that all seven years are paid for so that is one less thing your guardians need to worry about. We also leave you, our most precious treasure in the custody of Sirius Orion Black, Remus John Lupin and Severus Tobias Snape.” said James with a smirk.

“We know that you guys don’t get along well but we ask that you put your pasts behind you and unite to raise our son. You each have unique attributes that we want Harry to learn. Sirius can teach him to have fun and not to take life so seriously. Pun intended. Remus can teach him to sometimes you have to be serious in life and to have a love of books. Severus can teach him that with hard work you can do anything if only you set your mind to it. Together we know they will raise our little boy to become a wonderful well rounded man.” Lily continued with a smirk of her own.

“Padfoot let Severus and Moony help with Prongslet. You can’t do it alone, even if you think you can. Listen to them, talk things out. Try to put the past where it belongs my friend. Show Prongslet how to prank and to have fun. I know you can do it for Prongslet.” encouraged James.

“Severus, I know that there is bad history between you and the other two but I am begging you to try and put it behind you and help raise my little boy. After you called me that name I was so angry and hurt that I didn’t want to hear what you said and then when I had calmed down you didn’t seem to need me anymore. I want you to know that I forgive you. Help the mutts raise my son please my friend.” begged Lily with tears running down her cheeks. She wasn’t the only one with tears on their cheeks. Severus too had them running down his cheeks.

“Moony you my friend are going to have to be referee for the other two. We are sorry to put you into that position but I couldn’t think of a better person to rein them both in. Don’t let Padfoot ride rough sod over you. Stand up to them both and knock their heads together until they listen to you. I know you didn’t have the same feelings towards Severus like we did but please put the bad feelings where they belong. Communicate with each other and have some fun.” James declared.

“If they are unable to take Harry he is to go to Frank and Alice Longbottom, or Amelia Bones. Under NO circumstances is Harry to go anywhere near my sister Petunia Evans and her husband Vernon Dursley.

“I love you Harry be a good boy for your godfathers and remember us with love.” She sent a kiss to Harry which was returned.

“Harry we wish we could be there with you but we can’t listen to your uncles and remember us always. We love you Prongslet.” James then places his fingers to his lips and kisses then the moves his arm out to deliver the kiss to Harry. Which Harry sent back to James.

“We love and will miss you all. Remember us but let us go.” they both said at the same time. With that said the image faded. To which Harry started to cry again repeating mummy and dada over and over again.

“That is the reading of James Charlus Potter and Lily Rose Potter nee Evans will. Come up one at a time and receive your inheritance.” the estate goblin intoned.

Amelia Bones was the first to go up and asked for a copy of the will so that she had proof to swear out a warrant for Peter Arnold Pettigrew. Amelia was told that everyone would receive a copy of the will before they left but hers will be notarized. Then Augusta Longbottom went up on behalf of Neville as his guardian. Then the others went up and got their inheritance. The keys to all of Harry’s vaults were given to Sirius and he pocketed them and the cloak had to be recalled according to the estate goblin and was given to Remus for safe keeping.

“Well lets go back to the castle, then you can put him down and we can talk.” suggested Albus.

After calming Harry and putting him down for his “rest” they all sat down to hear what Albus had to say.

“Well gentlemen I think you staying in the castle is a good idea. As I think on it more Harry would be safer behind the wards that protect Hogwarts.” stated Albus decisively.

“Albus your contradicting yourself. Few days ago you were saying that the castle wasn’t safe for Harry because of the Death Eater children were here, now you are saying that it’s the safest place for Harry to be. You can’t have it both ways.” Severus chided with a deep frown.

“Well I thought about it and I say that he stays here in the castle where he could be looked after by me and the rest of the staff.” Albus said decisively.

“You say?” snapped Sirius with a thunderous look. Even Severus and Remus looked at him with a scowl.

“Yes I say! I am the leader of the light and I have a right to decide where it is safe for Harry to go. I still think it would be safer for him to be at his Aunt’s place. No one would find him there.” stated Albus firmly. They all looked at Albus stunned.

“Albus you can’t mean that, not after what Big Harry showed you what would happen there! Have you lost your mind? He will go to that home over my dead body Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore!” bellowed Minerva.

“He is not going to his aunt’s house EVER Albus so get over it.” demanded Remus with bright golden eyes. The other two agreed with Remus.

“Very well then the next safest place is here in the castle. I will expect Sirius and Remus in my office before the day is out to sign the contracts. See you at dinner.” commanded Albus before he left.

After he was gone the four remaining looked after him with shocked looks.

“Well that just made my mind up for me. I think we should find anywhere but here to live. Albus has way too much interest in Harry to be healthy.” declared Severus.

“But how can we do that? He has too much power here in England.” remarked Remus.

“We go out of the country, so that we are far away from Albus.” explained Severus.

“We will have to go now before he could stop us. If we wait then we will be under contract and not get out of it. Speaking of contracts how are you going to get out of yours Severus.” asked Remus with a frown.

“I don’t know.” Severus said.

“I was shocked when James and Lily named the three of us guardians to Harry. I wonder if Albus knew that was in there. It makes me wonder just how much power did Albus have over Harry in the other time line?” asked Severus.

“Too much I reckon.” answered Remus.

“That does it we definitely need to get away from here. We just have to figure out where to go.” declared Sirius with determination.

“This is where I must leave you gentleman and might I remind you that Albus has ears all over this castle.” whispered Minerva looking over at the painting in the living room.

“Minerva is right we can’t discuss it here. We will have to discuss it after we leave. We will have to leave after dinner though so that we aren’t here to sign the contracts.” whispered Sirius.

At that point Minerva sent a spell towards the portrait. “A spell for privacy so he can’t hear what we are saying and report to Albus. I know of a way to get Severus out of his contract.” Minerva reassured the men.

“How Minerva?” asked Severus.

“Well there is a clause in all Hogwarts contracts that state that they can cite family emergency. With Harry’s safety in jeopardy that is a perfect clause to use.” explained Minerva with a smirk.

“Perfect you just have to write up your resignation with that clause and we are out of here.” stated Sirius bouncing up and down. He was getting impatient to get going out of there. The sooner that they get out the safer that Harry will be.

“Okay lets get our things packed ready to go then.” said Severus.

“I will see you boys at dinner. I know you want to go right away but if you aren’t there for dinner then all hell will break loose. Word of advice don’t go to any places that Albus has access to. Hide in the muggle world and don’t do any magic until your away from the isle. Will miss you boys but I understand why you must leave.” Minerva sniffled giving each one a hug.

“Minerva we will send you updates and pictures and maybe in the summer we can send you a portkey so that you can visit us.” Severus assured his soon to be ex colleague to which Minerva smiled and then left.

Remus and Sirius went to their apartments and packed what they had there and then headed back to Hogwarts where they went through what they had and separated what they needed to take with them.

After putting a charm on Harry that will let him know when he wakes up Severus started to pack up his private lab. He packed all his ingredients into cases that will protect them during the move. The cases can be shrunk and not cause any harm to the ingredients. Everything went into their cases and then were shrunk and put into a box ready to be shrunk again for transport.

Two hours later his lab was done and he went to his bedroom and to start to pack it up. He would sort them into two different areas, one for what he was taking with them and what he was going to store until they got settled.

Just as he was going to do his bedroom the charm went off, Harry was awake.

“Hey there scamp, did you have a good rest?” asked Severus as he came into Harry’s room. He put Harry’s slippers on his feet and then changed his nappy.

“No, want Mummy and Dada.” whined Harry with tears falling down his face.

“I know you do Harry but unfortunately they can’t be here for you. They want to be but they can’t.” Severus told him with sadness and cuddles.

“Unkie Pafoo?” asked Harry.

“He’s in his room, why don’t you go see what he is doing?” suggested Severus.

“Otay.” answered Harry.

With that he ran to where his Uncle Padfoot was. He found him still going through his possessions sorting them out.

“Hey there little snitch how was your rest time?” asked Sirius.

Harry sighs then sniffled,” Want Mummy and Dada.”

Sirius sighs then scoops up Harry and hugs him to himself. “I know you do little snitch but they had to go away and can’t come back.”

Harry lays his head down onto Sirius’ shoulder and stays there for a bit.

“I have an idea do you want to jump?” asked Sirius with a grin.

“Yump?” asked confusedly.

Sirius carried Harry over to the bed and placed him on it. Took out his wand then cast a spell at the bed. Sirius took Harry’s slippers off his feet then stood him up on the bed, put his hands around Harry’s waist and lifted him up a bit then down again. He repeated this unti Harry finally got the idea of jumping. He was jumping all over the bed now and falling onto his little bottom but he would get up and do it all over again. Once in awhile he would get close to the edge but he never fell off because of the cushioning spell he cast. As Harry was having fun on the bed Remus knocked on the open door and went into the room at Sirius’ come in gesture. Remus then saw Harry jumping on the bed.

“Sirius what do you think you are doing letting Harry jump on the bed like that? He could fall and be seriously hurt” Remus all but yelled at Sirius

“No he can’t” replied Sirius with a grin.

“He most certainly can.” answered Remus.

“No he can’t Moony I cast a cushioning spell around the bed so he can’t fall off. Relax he is having a blast.’ responded Sirius.

Remus breathed a sigh of relief then watched Harry on the bed. Harry would jump for a bit then fall to the bed giggling. He would stand up and jump some more then fall to the bed where he would bounce. He was having a blast.

“Ok little snitch its time to stop. You can jump more another time.” said Sirius as he noticed Harry getting tired. “Why don’t we go into the living room and play with your friends until its time for dinner.”

“Otay Unkie Pafoo” stated Harry as he came to the edge of the bed.

Sirius took down the charm and said to Harry, “Harry only jump on a bed if Uncle Moony, Uncle Severus or I am in the room with you so that we can put the spell up that will make it safe for you to jump on the bed.” explained Sirius.

“Otay Unkie Pafoo.” Harry said with one last jump right into Sirius’ arms. Sirius then put Harry’s slippers back on his feet.

The three of them went into the living room. Harry went to his room to get his friends to bring out to the living room. After several trips they were all in the living room on the floor. Sirius went over and sat on the floor with Harry and played with him.

“Why don’t you two go and get Harry’s room ready.” suggested Sirius with a meaningful look.

Remus and Severus got up and headed to Harry’s room and packed up his room. It was the easiest as the toys except for Harry’s friends were in his toy box so they shrunk it to matchbox size and put it aside. Then as Severus was packing Harry’s clothes Remus shrunk Harry’s bed and the table for his friends. They left the case with the clothes its regular size because they will be going into the muggle world and won’t be able to use magic to resize it to get clothes and diapers out of it. Severus left Harry’s pajamas and several diapers out. They then pack up a diaper bag for Harry where they had the usual things like diapers, a couple changes of pajamas, jumpers, pants, shoes and shirts in it as well as Harry’s special plate that had a picture of a baby dragon on it, his special utensils and several sippy cups. Severus added several snack foods and juice boxes in case Harry gets hungry or thirsty. Remus then remembered to add a blanket to the diaper bag in case Harry got cold. When they were done they went back into the living room and inform Sirius and Harry that it was time for dinner.

“Remember to occlude gentlemen, Albus can do a frontal scan on you without you knowing he is doing it” warned Severus.

Once in the Great Hall they sat at the single table that was set up and waited for Albus. As soon as Albus got there he called for the food and they all served themselves.

“You haven’t been up to my office yet boys.” Albus said looking over his glasses at them.

“Sorry Albus we will be up after Harry is in bed and asleep.” Sirius promised.

Albus went back to eating with a smug look on his face. While Minerva had a frown on her face.

The godfathers and Harry got up and leave the hall after saying good night to everyone. Harry hugged and kissed Minerva with a good night and then hugged and kissed Albus also with a good night.

“But my dear boy I am coming down with you so you can wish me good night when you go to bed.” Albus informed Harry.

“Albus I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to go down tonight.” stated Minerva.

“Why ever not my dear woman?” asked Albus with a frown.

“Because we want to get Harry use to it being just the four of them right, you won’t be able to go down with them every night.” Minerva explained.

“Well yes I guess so. I guess it is good night then my dear boy. I will see you at breakfast.” conceded Albus with a frown.

Just before Severus turned he looked at Minerva who mouthed good luck. They left the hall and went straight to their quarters where they gathered everything up including Harry’s friends putting them in an expandable bag with his shrunken toy box. Severus changed Harry’s nappy and dressed him into warm pajamas and his cloak.

They put their cloaks on. Severus took one last look around and then turned around picked up Harry and his bag and left. Before they left they told Harry that they were going to play a game. He had to be quiet because they are playing hide and seek with Grandpa. Grandpa can’t find them or the game was over.

Harry put his little finger to his mouth and said, “shhh.”

“Exactly Harry not a sound.” stated Remus quietly.

They disillusioned themselves then crept through the castle and out the front door and down the path and out the gate where they apparated to an agreed upon destination.

They met in an alley close to London Heathrow Airport. They saw a café across the road from the alley so they went in to the establishment and sat down. The waitress came over with menus.

“Let me know when you are done looking and I will come take your order.” she said.

“We will thank you.” answered Remus.

They looked over the menu and decided to just get tea for them and milk for Harry. Sirius got out one of Harry’s sippy cups in case they didn’t have them here, which they didn’t.

After the waitress left after putting their order down they had decisions to make,

“Where should we go? We have to make a decision quick before Albus discovers us gone.” stated Sirius.

“I say we go to the United States somewhere that way we are far away from Albus’ influence. What do you think?” asked Severus.

“Ok sounds good but where in the United States? questioned Sirius.

Remus was thoughtful for a bit then explained, “I heard of a place that accepts werewolves as people, have all kinds of fun activities that we could participate in and is good for potion ingredient gathering.”

“Wow sounds perfect for us where is this place.” an interested Sirius asked.

“It is New Orleans, Louisiana, United States of America.”
Remus proudly stated.

“I have heard of it...they are famous for their festivals especially a big festival called Mardi Gras!” an excited Sirius exclaimed.

“Severus they have all kinds of potion ingredients from all over the world that go through New Orleans. You could get a mail order potions business set up if you wanted to work from home.” gushed Remus.

“Sounds good to me. We can get a house and I can work from home and with Dopey’s help be there for Harry so that you two can get a job outside of home if you so wished.” Severus stated determinedly


“Sounds good to me as well.” stated Sirius.

“Well then lets go to the airport and get tickets for the United States. The longer we stay here the more likely Albus would find us.” stated Remus.

They paid their bill and gathered a tired and cranky Harry then headed for the airport.

They get to the airport and go up to the counter and Remus asked, “We would like tickets to New Orleans please.”

“The next flight to leave Heathrow for New Orleans is 9 o’clock tomorrow morning.” the clerk informed them.

“Thats too long...are there any flights that leave in the next hour or two to the United States?” asked Severus as he rocked Harry who was fussing.

“There is a flight to Boston, Massachusettes leaving in two hours.” the clerk said helpfully.

“We’ll take it!” exclaimed Sirius so forcefully the clerk jumped a bit.

She processed their request and then handed them their tickets after Sirius paid for them.

“Have a good flight...your plane leaves from gate 4 in two hours.” she explained helpfully.

‘Thank you for your help!” exclaimed Sirius a little quieter as to not make her jump.

“Your welcome Sir.” she replied.

They made the long trek to gate 4 and they checked in and went to wait in the lounge.

Harry was getting fussier so Severus asked, “Sirius would you get Prongs and Tigger out of the bag of Harry’s friends please.”

Sirius got the stuffies out of the bag and brought them over to where Severus was pacing with Harry.

“Here little snitch I have Prongs and Tigger for you.” stated Sirius holding out the stuffies. Harry took them and settled down a bit and closed his eyes.

An hour later found them on the plane sitting in first class, waiting for the plane to take off. The hour until take off seemed to fly by. They taxied out and then when it was their turn took off on the way to the United States.

Holding up a glass of champagne Sirius toasted them. “To a new life!”

“Here here!” both Remus and Severus countered raising their own glasses.