Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
happy christmas to all who celebrate it!
Chapter 22

When Severus made it back to Gryffindor tower, he was immediately flagged down by Harry, Ginny, and Neville. As he walked over to join them, he supposed that Weasley 1 and Granger were off alone again.

He was perfectly fine with that, since the smaller group was all the better to observe Harry from. After Severus’s long walk, he was nearly certain that he was right about Harry’s childhood, but further evidence of it would be helpful for when Severus confronted Albus.

As he sat down in a seat with Harry and his friends, Severus asked, “How’s Luna? I thought she was planning to join us after dinner.”

Harry glanced at Weasley 2, who said, “Luna went to her dorm to rest and eat some chocolate. She said she wanted some alone time to process what happened.”

Severus nodded.

“So, we were about to start a game of Exploding Snap, if you wanted to join us?” Harry said, jiggling the game box slightly.

Severus glanced at the box and hid his grimace as best as he could. “If you don’t mind, I think I’ll sit this one out and catch up on my reading.”

“Alright then,” Harry said. Then he turned to Longbottom and Weasley 2 and said, “Who wants to deal?”

As they got the game set up, Severus pulled a random book out of his bag and settled into his chair to pretend to read it. Once upon a time, he would have liked nothing better than to have a chance to sit with a book and read it, but now he was more interested in watching how Harry interacted with his friends.

Nearly right away, he noticed how Harry deferred immediately to Weasley 2 or Longbottom every single time there was a reason to.

Then, after Severus recovered from the noise of the first card explosion, he realized that Harry had startled worse than the others. Severus unobtrusively cast a muffling spell on his ears as he considered this. It could, of course, be nothing. But Severus knew better than to believe in coincidences.

He was, again, drawn out of his thoughts by Longbottom saying, “I think it was your card that exploded the pile, Ginny.”

Weasley 2 shook her head firmly and said, “No, I don’t think it was.”

Severus hadn’t been paying close enough attention to the actual gameplay to know who it was. This was one of the many reasons he couldn’t be bothered with the game; this situation where the culprit was ambiguous happened entirely too often because watching the explosion closely enough to tell could be difficult.

Longbottom glanced down at his hand. “Well, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t me either, so…”

Weasley 2 huffed and said, “It wasn’t me! If it were me, I wouldn’t bother to hide it, I’d just own up to it.”

“Well, we know it wasn’t Harry, he went too many turns ago for it to be him, so it has to be one of us,” Longbottom said to Weasley 2.

Severus saw Harry shift uncomfortably at this. Before, Severus would have assumed it meant that Harry had cheated somehow and had, in fact, been the one to cause the explosion. But now, Severus thought that it meant Harry was uncomfortable with the situation

“We could just say that it didn’t happen,” Harry offered, glancing between Longbottom and Weasley 2, who were both puffing up a bit.

“But that’s not how the game works!” Weasley 2 said insistently. “One of us made the pile explode, so one of us has to take the point loss.”

Severus was tiring of listening to them argue so uselessly. He had little patience for that kind of stupidity. There was no way to prove definitively which one of them was right, so they may as well decide using chance.

“If neither of you are going to back down, then how about you flip a coin or play ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’ for it, or something,” Severus lazily suggested, remembering only at the last minute to call the game by its muggle name. He’d nearly forgotten that he’d told Harry that Eli had been raised in the muggle world.

“Rock, Paper, Scissors?” Weasley 2 and Longbottom echoed.

“You don’t know what ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’ is?” Harry said incredulously.

“Is it like ‘Stone, Cloak, Wand’?” Longbottom asked.

“Uh, maybe? Eli, want to demonstrate a quick game of ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’?” Harry said, lifting his hands up into the traditional starting position.

Severus mirrored Harry, somewhat reluctantly. As he did so, he considered his mild surprise that Harry had managed to go this long without encountering the wizarding version of the game. But then, Harry had had no connection at all to the wizarding world growing up, so perhaps it was not so surprising that he was, even years after his introduction to his rightful place, discovering new pieces of culture.

Severus rhythmically bounced his right hand over his left as Harry said, “Rock, Paper, Scissors, shoot!”

Harry threw out Paper at the same time that Severus threw out Rock. Harry groaned good-naturedly then turned to Weasley 2 and Longbottom. “So? Is it like– what did you call it? ‘Stone, Cloak, Wand’?”

Weasley 2 nodded and said, “I think, based on the hand gestures and the names a little, that Stone is Rock and…”

She continued talking, but Severus stopped listening. He was really, truly, not interested in listening to them discuss the differences between the two nearly identical games. Since he didn’t think that he would miss anything interesting happening at the moment, he decided to read a page or two of his book.

A couple pages later, he was drawn out of his book by another explosion. Even with the spell on his ears to muffle only the loudest sounds, the explosion was still loud enough to break his concentration, so Severus decided to take the opportunity to observe Harry with his friends again.

Harry was smiling good-naturedly as he accepted a point penalty, and Weasley 2 was saying, “Are you sure it was you? Because I think it could’ve been Neville this time.”

Longbottom shrugged lightly at this.

“I don’t mind, really,” Harry said. “It was probably just as likely to be me.”

Severus frowned slightly, then wiped the expression from his face. He should have known that Harry would be disposed to take the hits in a game like Exploding Snap. Severus glanced down at his book to check what page he was really on as he settled in to watch the game. He’d be turning the pages to keep up the pretense of reading, but he did want to remember where he actually was.

And after several more rounds of discretely watching the game, Severus was beginning to get heartily sick of watching Harry concede points to unnecessarily keep the peace. From what Severus knew of Weasley 2 and Longbottom, Severus didn’t think either of them were the type to get overly upset about a silly game. And while it was true that Severus didn’t have a great deal of memories of Harry to draw upon, the ones that he did have didn’t suggest that Harry had always been the type to defer to his friends so easily. Or to seem quite so disturbed by conflict.

It made him wonder if the events last spring had been sufficient to wreak this change in Harry, or if something else had happened this past summer.

But then Severus had to put this aside to consider later, because Harry was conceding another point, and Severus had decided enough was enough. He set aside his book and sat up to watch the game closely.

If they couldn’t be bothered to watch the explosions closely enough to actually keep score, and if Harry refused to be assertive, then Severus would just have to do it himself.

The next time the cards exploded, Severus was ready. Thankfully, Harry was not the one to cause the explosion, but he was the other person who could possibly have done it. As Severus had expected, they all recovered from the explosion and immediately started debating who had caused it.

“Actually,” Severus interrupted them, “I was watching closely and it was definitely Longbottom that did it.”

Harry, Weasley 2, and Longbottom all stared at him for a moment.

“Weren’t you reading?” Weasley 2 asked curiously.

“I was, but then you seemed to be having a hard time actually scoring the game, so I thought I’d help out by paying attention,” Severus said, with a slightly smug smile.

“Well,” Longbottom said. “If you’re sure.”

As Harry turned back to the game, he flashed a smile at Severus. Suddenly, it didn’t seem so much like a chore to watch the rest of the game. His intervention had clearly made Harry happy, and all it had cost Severus was a bit of time and attention.

He decided to properly join the circle on the ground.

“Oh, did you want to be dealt in?” Weasley 2 asked, pausing mid-deal.

“No thanks,” Severus said. “I’m still not that into the game, but I don’t mind watching and keeping score for you.”

“Oh, you don’t have to do that, Eli,” Harry said worriedly. “Just because we’re bad at actually watching the explosions doesn’t mean you have to stop what you were doing to help us out.”

Severus smiled and said, “Really, I don’t mind, uh, it’s actually more fun to– watch. Than it is to play.” He hoped the lie wasn’t too obvious, but it wasn’t like he could just say that the only reason he was doing this was to stop the others from, however inadvertently, walking all over Harry.

They ended up playing Exploding Snap, with Severus keeping score, for the rest of the evening, until Severus had finally had enough and called it quits. When he did, it was late enough that they decided to go right to bed.


The next morning, Severus went down to breakfast with Harry, Weasley 2, and Longbottom. Weasley 1 hadn’t come into the dorm until long after the rest of them had gone to sleep. Severus had been hard-pressed not to do something stupid, like kill the boy, when he had rudely awoken Severus, but thankfully he’d managed to restrain the impulse and go back to sleep.

So, he assumed that Weasley 1 and Granger would not be arriving at breakfast until later.

Severus sipped at the depressingly decaffeinated coffee that was all the students were allowed to have. As a professor, he had felt fully justified in the decision to deny caffeine to the children, but now that he was being forced into withdrawal, he heartily regretted the decision.

As he stared morosely into his mug yet again, Harry said, “From the way you’re looking into your mug, I’m guessing that Ron woke you up last night too?”

Severus grumbled inarticulately, then said, “He sure did.”

“Heh. Sucks to suck,” Weasley 2 said. It took a moment, but then Severus processed that Weasley 2 was not the same age as the rest of them, and would not have been awoken last night, even by Granger.

Any response to that was cut off by the arrival of the morning post. Severus gave the flock of owls a cursory glance, then resumed eating his breakfast. He had no reason to expect any post given that Dumbledore had redirected his mail for the time being and everyone Eli knew was currently at the school with him.

It was somewhat shocking, then, when an absolutely massive barn owl landed directly behind his breakfast plate. Severus flinched back slightly, then looked around at the others in confusion.

“Whose owl is this?” Severus asked, leaning back slightly.

The owl stuck its leg out directly at Severus, as Weasley 2 said, “I’m pretty sure it’s for you.”

Severus frowned and removed the letter from the owl’s leg. The owl then took a piece of bacon from Severus’s plate and hopped from the table to Severus’s shoulder. It was not a pleasant situation to be in, since the owl’s talons were digging into his shoulder, and bacon bits were periodically landing in his lap as the owl ate the bacon it had stolen.

He looked back at the letter, and sure enough, it was addressed to ‘Eli Hopkirk’. “So it is for me,” he said aloud for the others’ benefit. He opened the envelope and pulled out the letter.

Severus continued to stare blankly at the parchment for several long moments after he had finished reading the letter. He had absolutely no idea how he was to respond to it. And, as his blank astonishment ran its course, a wave of anger at Dumbledore rose immediately behind it.

Why the hell had Dumbledore chosen a name that was already in use! Suddenly, Severus remembered the inkling of suspicion he had had when Dumbledore had first informed Severus of the pseudonym. At the time, he had been far too distracted by the situation as a whole to pay the suspicion any mind, but he now realized that that had been a mistake.

Because he had already known Mafalda Hopkirk. Whenever his Slytherins performed magic in muggle areas, which was thankfully not too often, Severus received a copy of the warning notice that Mafalda sent out. So he really ought to have properly recognized the name!

And now she was asking to meet Eli. For what felt like the millionth time, Severus cursed Dumbledore for his asinine plans.

“Is everything alright?” Harry asked, interrupting Severus’s train of thought.

He looked up from the letter he was still clutching too tightly, and said, “Oh, I’m alright. Just a bit shocked. It turns out I might have a relative here in England that I didn’t know about.”

Harry said, “Oh, that’s cool,” and returned to his breakfast. The brief smile that crossed his face as he said that hadn’t seemed wholly genuine.

Severus said, “Thanks,” and returned to staring blankly at his letter. Instead of thinking about how to respond, however, he was thinking about Harry’s response. Because Severus felt like he was missing something obvious. And a beat later he realized what it was and felt like a buffoon.

Of course Harry would feel somewhat bitter at Eli receiving a letter, out of the blue, from a previously unknown relative.

Harry was an orphan, and not only that, an orphan who had had a significantly less than ideal childhood, and his only living relatives were the people responsible for his terrible childhood. Severus couldn’t be sure, but it was probably not uncalled for to think that Harry had possibly wished to receive a similar letter.

At this thought, Severus unobtrusively slid the letter into his bookbag, and mentally added ‘Figure out how to respond to Mafalda’ to his to-do list. Then, he rejoined the conversation, just in time to hear Weasley 2 say, “I wonder if Ron and Hermione are going to turn up in time to get breakfast, or if they’re going to sleep the morning away.”

Longbottom said, “I don’t really see Hermione skipping breakfast like that.”

“And she’s certainly not averse to storming into our dorm to wake Ron up,” Harry added.

Severus frowned lightly. “But she’s a girl, and Ron is in the boys’ dormitory. She shouldn’t have access to our dorm.”

Weasley 2 smiled smugly and said, “We can go into the boys’ dormitory whenever we want, really. It’s the guys that can’t come into the girls’ side.” She sighed and said, “Regretfully, I missed the moment where the first years figured that out, this year.”

“What?” Severus said. That did not make any sense at all. In the Slytherin dorms, the door simply wouldn’t respond to someone who didn’t belong. There was nothing exciting about watching a first year try, and fail, to open a door.

“Oh, I guess you missed it too,” Weasley 2 said, still uselessly.

“Missed what?” Severus repeated.

Finally, Harry took over. “If a guy tries to go up the stairs to the girls’ dorm, the stairs flatten into a slide that dumps whoever tried to go up onto the common room floor.”

Severus blinked a few times. “That doesn’t make any sense. So, girls can just come into the boys’ dorm whenever they want, but if a guy tries to go into the girl’s dorm, the stairs change shape? What a uselessly elaborate enchantment! Why not just enchant the door to the dorm hallway to only respond to people who should be there?”

He had been gesticulating while he spoke, and his last flourish smacked right into Weasley 1, who was sliding onto the bench to Severus’s right. He glanced over at Weasley 1, and then at Granger, who was sitting down next to Longbottom across the table from Weasley 1, and then finally back at Harry and Weasley 2. He needed them to understand that their dorm made absolutely no sense.

And, in the next breath, he realized that it was his dorm too.

Weasley 2, Harry, and Longbottom had all shrugged at his short rant. Severus supposed that the ridiculous situation was just too normal for them to properly appreciate how bizarre it was.

“What’re we talking about?” Weasley 1 asked, with his mouth full of food.

Severus threw a disgusted look at him as Granger glared at Weasley 1.

“Don’t be gross, Ron. And we were talking about how guys aren’t allowed in the girls’ dorm,” Weasley 2 said.

“Oh,” Weasley 1 said inarticulately.

After a moment, Harry asked, “So, how’d you guys sleep?”

At that, Severus tuned out the conversation. He had better things to do than listen to inane morning small talk. Things like, figure out what the hell to do with the letter he had received. Because he certainly was not going to meet the woman in Hogsmeade, since he would cease looking like Eli in a few short months. Or rather, in a few weeks, when Dumbledore returned to Hogwarts.

Maybe Severus ought to respond to her letter with an offer to correspond. He could maintain a correspondence with her until Albus returned, and then Severus could turn the mess over to Albus and not deal with it anymore.

Still deep in thought, Severus absently glanced over at the head table. And did a double-take when he saw Albus fucking Dumbledore seated at it, casual as can be.

When the hell had Albus turned up? Severus tapped the table, interrupting whatever Weasley 1 had been saying, and mutely pointed at Albus.

“Oh!” Granger exclaimed.

“He’s back early,” Weasley 2 said flatly.

Harry had sighed in relief. Then he said, “Thank god, we can tell him about the locket and the tiara soon.”

Severus was busy trying to discern how much food was on Albus’s plate in order to gauge how long he had been in the Great Hall for. He had no idea how he had managed to miss Dumbledore’s entrance, because the man was wearing atrocious, bright yellow robes. Severus realized, a moment later, that they were the exact shade of the lemon drops Dumbledore favored.

“I think we should go see him right after breakfast,” Severus said, annoyed that he couldn’t get a good look at Albus’s plate.

“Yeah, I feel like the stuff we need to talk to him about is stuff he’d want us to go to him with right away,” Weasley 2 said.

“And we don’t know how long he’s going to be here for. He said he’d be gone for a few weeks, so this might be a really brief visit. I don’t think we should risk missing him,” Granger said.

Severus was glad that they’d gotten on board so easily. It’d be simple for him to accompany Harry and his friends to Dumbledore’s office, then stay behind to speak to Dumbledore alone on some pretense about Eli’s transfer paperwork. And then the real fun of the day could begin.

By this point, Severus had finished eating, so he set his utensils down and half listened to Harry and his friends talking; it was vaguely interesting to hear them discuss the horcruxes without knowing what they were. They were planning what they were going to say to Albus, because they wanted to make sure they included all the relevant bits.

Weasley 2 was talking about how the diary had affected her, and how it had been similar to how the diadem had affected Lovegood.

Until now, Severus hadn’t realized that Weasley 2 had been so affected by the diary, but now that he was actually considering it, it was pretty remarkable that she had recovered so well from such a horrific event. The realization that she had survived possession by Voldemort and had been able to grow into, from what he could tell, well-adjusted teenager, caused Severus to glance over at her with newfound respect.

And she hadn’t just been possessed once– she’d been possessed many times throughout most of her first year. It was remarkable that she’d even been able to rejoin her classmates the following year.

This train of thought was derailed by the arrival of Lovegood at their table. She had immediately plopped herself down into Ginny's lap, but made no move to reach for any food. So Severus assumed that she'd eaten at the Ravenclaw table before joining them.

Glancing around the group gathered at the Gryffindor table, Severus was struck by the thought that, excluding himself, this was the group that had accompanied Harry to the Department of Mysteries last spring. And he realized that Harry’s group of friends were really a very impressive group of teenagers. They had fought against fully-trained, adult wizards last spring, and had managed to hold them off long enough for help to arrive. And they’d escaped the encounter without any permanent harm.

However irritating Severus found them, they were a remarkably talented group of loyal friends to Harry. He felt a bubble of jealousy building up in his gut, and while he knew it was small and petty of him to be jealous of someone young enough to be his son, he couldn’t quite help it.

But then, the small group rumbled with laughter, and Harry tossed a smile at Severus just as Weasley 1 nudged Severus gently with his elbow. And Severus reflexively smiled back at Harry. For a brief, shining moment, Severus felt included in Harry’s friend group, and the bubble of jealousy that had been building up dissipated.

Then Harry said, “You missed it, Eli!” And the illusion shattered, leaving him feeling lonelier than before. Because it wasn’t Severus that was included in Harry’s friend group, it was Eli. He knew that Severus had absolutely no chance of being accepted in the same way that ‘Eli’ was, because Severus wasn’t their peer.

“Oh no! What did I miss?” Severus finally remembered to say, but failed to hear whatever it was because he was still preoccupied with the fact that Severus could never be Harry’s peer. Then Severus remembered that he would soon be resuming his position as Harry’s professor. Maybe, as his professor, Severus could begin to build Harry’s trust in him. Harry had a lot of reasons to hate Severus, but if he proved to Harry that he had changed, maybe he could eventually become Harry’s mentor. It would take a lot of work, but he thought he could do it, so long as they never found out that Severus was Eli.

Because there was no way Severus would be able to overcome the betrayal that Harry and his friends would, rightfully, feel at realizing that they had been lied to and misled.

Suddenly, there was a flurry of motion around him as everyone rose from the table. He quickly joined them, as a quick glance at the head table showed that Albus had already departed. Severus felt his heartbeat quicken ever so slightly as his confrontation with Albus approached.

As they walked through the halls together, Severus realized that his earlier thought about being stuck as Eli for the next couple weeks was wildly incorrect. Because he would now get the chance to tell Albus that he had completed the task he had been set.

At the moment, Severus was most grateful to not have to deal with responding to Mafalda Hopkirk.

“Hey Eli,” Harry said, pulling up alongside Severus, “are you alright? You’ve been kinda quiet this morning.”

Severus pulled himself out of his thoughts, smiled reassuringly, and said, “I’m alright, just a bit distracted this morning.”

Harry said, “I know you’ve been dragged along on a lot of stuff, and I just wanted to remind you that you’re not obligated to come along with us. If you want to, that’s also cool with us, but I just don’t want you to feel like you have to come with us.”

“Out of curiosity,” Severus began, “do you ask your other friends that?”

Harry looked embarrassed as he said, “Well, I used to try and stop them from coming with me for stuff like this, so really, only asking if you’re okay with coming, and not trying to stop you entirely, is something of an improvement.”

“And you thought that would work?” Severus asked, because he had a hard time picturing any of Harry’s end-of-year adventures happening without Harry’s friends.

“See, Harry? Even Eli can see it, and he’s only known us for like a week!” Weasley 2 said, butting into the conversation.

Harry rolled his eyes good naturedly. “I just wanted to make sure!”

“And you have, and I’m sure I want to come along.” Severus said.

They had arrived outside the gargoyle that guarded Albus’s office, so conversation ceased as Longbottom and Lovegood, who had arrived first, exchanged a glance that very clearly conveyed that they did not know the password. Severus stepped around all of them and said, “I had to visit his office earlier this year, so I know the password.”

“That’s good, because none of the rest of us do,” Granger said.

“Licorice Wand,” Severus said to the gargoyle. It leapt aside immediately, and Severus stepped aside to let the others precede him up the rotating staircase. Severus wouldn’t have much to say until the others left, so he thought it was best if they entered first.

Once everyone was past him, he stepped onto the stairs and let them carry him up passively. From the staircase, Severus heard Granger ask, “When did you get back, sir?”

Severus was curious as to the answer to that as well, because they had all been told that Albus would be gone for a few weeks, and it had only been a couple days.

Albus responded, “I arrived sometime last night, as my business abroad had concluded delightfully early.”

There was a moment of silence, during which Severus stepped into the office. He noticed, as he slid behind the group of students gathered in front of Albus’s desk, that Harry was pulling out the locket and the diadem and placing them on Albus’s desk.

Severus took a moment to savor the look of shock on Albus’s face before he stopped along the far wall of the office.

“Where did you get these?” Albus asked. He swept a look around the room, gaze lingering ever so slightly on Severus. Severus returned Albus’s gaze with a slightly smug smile, because he doubted that Albus had ever expected to come back to find two more of Voldemort’s horcruxes destroyed.

Then he paused, because that could perhaps be why Dumbledore had come back. He was the headmaster and holder of the wards, so perhaps he had felt the release of dark magic from the horcrux destruction, twice, and come back to investigate.

“That’s kind of a long story,” Harry said hesitantly.

They were all still standing around awkwardly, so Severus wondered if that was a hint for an offer to sit. Whether it was or not, it worked, because then Albus said, “Have a seat everyone.”

Harry pulled out his wand at the same time Albus did, and then Harry hurriedly replaced his wand in his pocket. Severus absently noted that he ought to get Harry a wand holster, that wasn’t a very secure way to carry a wand.

Albus, who had kept his wand out, conjured ridiculously plush armchairs for everyone to sit in. Then he took his own seat behind his desk. He said, “There, now we are all settled in for a long story.”

Severus reoriented his chair so he could see both Harry’s and Albus’s faces, fascinated by the chance to observe the two interact.

Harry began recounting the story of where the horcruxes had come from, starting with where they had found them.

Severus reclined in his chair and enjoyed watching Albus’s face as he reacted. Severus had never been more grateful that he’d learned to see beyond the calm mask Dumbledore liked to wear than he was at this moment.

Then Harry moved on to explain how they destroyed the horcruxes– not that he called them that– and what Harry and his friends thought the horcruxes were.

After Harry finally concluded, Albus silently considered something for a moment. Then he said, “I tell you this only because you’re already so involved, and because I made a promise to you, Harry, to tell you everything. Will you all swear to not speak of this outside this room?”

Harry and his friends all responded in the affirmative and Severus belatedly remembered to join them.

Then Albus said, “I do believe you have destroyed objects that Voldemort had stored pieces of his soul in.”

The group of students froze for a moment at this. Severus supposed that it was one thing to suspect that they had destroyed pieces of Voldemort’s soul, and another thing entirely to have it confirmed by Dumbledore, who was one of the few voices of authority on the subject.

Harry started to say, “So you’re saying that we’ve destroyed parts of Voldemort’s soul–”

Then he cut himself off mid-sentence and froze, a frightened look sweeping across his face.

It felt as though time had slowed down as they all waited for Harry to say something, to explain the expression on his face.

“He knows,” Harry whispered, an expression of shock and horror taking over his face. He broke the stillness that had settled over the room by scrabbling at the armrests, trying uselessly to get a grip on the plush material.

It took Severus a moment to figure out what Harry meant by that. And when he did, he felt a flood of panic rise within him. He lunged out of chair towards Harry and gripped his shoulders, not sure what he was doing, but overcome with the desperate need to hold Harry in place, to not let him out of his sight.

But then Harry started to fade before his very eyes. Harry’s arms no longer felt tangible beneath Severus’s grip, and then he felt the Dark Mark on his arm pull against his skin, as though it was trying to follow Harry. Severus gritted his teeth against the sensation and tried to keep his grip on Harry, but it was a losing battle. Severus focused his gaze on Harry’s eyes, and saw the horror on the boy’s face morph into agony.

And, as his body became nearly completely transparent, a ghostly scream tore itself from Harry’s mouth.

Then he disappeared completely, leaving no trace behind but for the last echo of his agony, which continued to resound throughout the horrified silence in the headmaster’s office.

Chapter End Notes:

letter transcript:

Dear Mr Eli Hopkirk,

I was informed by my cousin, Louisa Macmilian, that you had joined her son’s class at Hogwarts. She had specifically informed me because we happen to share the same last name.

Given the dearth of wizards in general, you can imagine my surprise when I learned of an apparently American relative that I had never heard of before.

I am assuming, of course, that we are in fact related. I know teenage boys don’t tend to trouble themselves with genealogy, but I must admit to being curious as to our relation. I understand that you are currently occupied with your studies, but I would love to meet you, perhaps in Hogsmeade?

Do let me know if you would be willing to arrange a meeting or correspond further.

Yours sincerely,

Mafalda Hopkirk

Improper Use of Magic Office Ministry of Magic

after that cliffhanger, i expect you all to be absolutely losing your shit in the comment section :D