Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

This is my second round entry set on Halloween...  A new ghost has appeared at Hogwarts... in Snape's Class room.. in Harry Potter's Cauldron...

Chapter 1

Harry moved the glass stirrer in a widdershins motion.  Was that an eye? He cast a quick look at the nearest cauldrons, they didn’t appear to have an eye.  Halloween was always a trial for him. Add Halloween and potions class?  It was a disaster in the making and Harry moved the stirrer faster losing count.

“Mr. Potter, are you perhaps unable to count to six?” An oily voice asked.

“No, professor… I mean, yes, professor…” Harry answered frantically.  “There’s an eye… in my cauldron…”

“Did you skip powdering the newt eye?”

“Not a newt eye.  A human eye…sort of…” Harry hurried to explain.

“There can not be a human eye.” Snape bent over the cauldron just as the potion exploded upright dousing both of them. 

As the two collapsed under the effects of the unfinished sleep ease potion, a human form appeared rising from the cauldron. “Hi!”

 

Harry tried to open his eyes, forcing the effects of the potion accident away.  Finally, he managed and shrieked at the ghostly face inches from his own. 

“Not so loud.”  It complained. “Happy Halloween.”

“Dudley?”

“In the flesh. Well, so to speak.”  Dudley moved into a sitting position. Well, ghost Dudley.

Harry was tempted to give in to the lingering effects of the potion’s mishap.  “Oh, no, Mr. Potter.” Harry groaned at his potions professor’s voice.  “If I must be awake for this, then you do also.”

“Severus,” Albus scolded and then looked solemnly at Harry.  “Mr. Dursley preferred to wait for you to awaken before providing details, but it appears there has been an incident.”

“Ya think?” Harry pushed himself up reluctantly. 

“Mr. Potter, I hardly think that is an appropriate question.” Professor McGonagall said in reproach.

“My cousin… my dead cousin… is sitting on my hospital bed.  Even I know something happened and I just recovered consciousness.”

“Mr. Potter….”

“Minerva,” The headmaster shook his head.  “I think getting to the bottom of this is more important.”

“Dudley, what happened?”

“Dad met some guy at work and invited him home.  Mom was cooking dinner and I was getting ready to come down the steps when I heard a thud.  I looked down and dad was lying on the floor… well, his body was in one place and his head another. I hear mum scream and yell for me to run.   I headed for the window in my room and I couldn’t get out.  The window was open but it was like it was closed. Then the whole house seemed to go up in flames.  I could see fire out the window just circling the house.”

“Fiendfyre?” Harry looked at the headmaster.

“I would hazard a guess.”

“Mrs. Figgs didn’t tell you.”

“We have been unable to contact her.”

“What do you mean? Unable to contact her?”

“Her floo is unavailable.  I have contacted the DMLE, but I haven’t received a reply as of yet.”  As the headmaster finished answering, a glowing jackrabbit bounded into the infirmary.

“A ghost rabbit…” Ghost Dudley exclaimed.  He looked shocked as the rabbit began speaking.

“Professor…” Tonk’s voice was shaking, “It’s awful.  It’s gone.  It’s all gone. Arabella’s house. Harry’s house….I…”

A lynx prowled in pushing the rabbit aside. “Professor, the whole neighborhood has been destroyed by fiendfyre.  A squad of unspeakables was able to contain the fire to just this neighborhood, it is being passed off as a  pre-Halloween bonfire that got out of control.  We are just making our way into the neighborhood searching for any signs of magical signatures… We have determined there is a dissipating signature at 4 Privet Drive.  Do you have Potter?”

“Excuse me.  Expecto Patronum… Kingsley, Harry is here in the infirmary along with the ghost of Dudley Dursley. Any word on Arabella? Squib signatures?” Dumbledore’s phoenix patronus flew off to the auror.

Harry was confused. “Magical signature? Squib signature?”

“The unspeakables have methods of detecting signatures even for bodies destroyed by fiendfyre.  If Arabella was home…” The headmaster dropped his head.  “Your aunt also would project as a squib.”

“My aunt? Aunt Petunia was a muggle.”

“No, Harry.  When your mother got her Hogwarts letter, I visited to explain the magical world.  Petunia wanted to attend with her.  I performed a check on her and determined that she was a squib. She had a magical core, but it was very small and she was unable to draw upon it.  I’m afraid that I did not perform a test on Mr. Dursley.  The fact that he has manifested as a ghost indicates that he was magical.”

“I could have come to school with Harry?” Dudley’s ghost exclaimed.

“I am uncertain what your magical level was, but it is possible.” Dumbledore said sadly.  “Unfortunately, there is no way to know now.”

“As fascinating as this is,” Snape sneered.  “If you will excuse me, there is a classroom to clean. Oh, yes, Mr. Potter, detention for blowing up your cauldron.”

“Severus, that was hardly Mr. Potter’s fault. Therefore he has done nothing to earn detention.” Dumbledore reprimanded him in a disappointed tone. “Actually, Severus, I would like you to stay. It is obvious that this was a plot to deprive Mr. Potter of a safe place to return for the winter holidays.”

“But I never go home.”

“This year is a bit of a different situation.  It has not been announced but the wards around Hogwarts will be strengthened and all students will have to return home. Obviously, that will now not be possible.  I fear that Voldemort’s forces are attempting to force you to the Weasleys’ in preparation for an attack.”

“Then I’ll go to headquarters.”

“No, Harry.  I am afraid that we may have to abandon headquarters.  Narcissa Malfoy has filed a motion with the Wizengamot to have Sirius stripped of his inheritance based upon fugitive status.”

“But he’s innocent.  He never got a trial.” Harry protested.

“I am aware, and I will be standing for Sirius in court.  I just do not feel comfortable with hiding you there at this time. Unfortunately, you cannot stay here.”

Another lynx patronus entered.  “Professor, the unspeakables have confirmed a signature in Arabella’s home….” The occupants of the infirmary dropped their heads in sorrow.  “…There is no squib signature at Privet Drive. I repeat, no squib signature…”

“What does all that mean?” Dudley’s ghost looked up at the headmaster.

“It appears that your mother was not killed.  I’m afraid she may have been abducted in an attempt to get at Harry through the destruction of your family protection.”

The appearance of a patronus in the form of a French poodle made Severus pale.  “Severus, is that…”

Before Dumbledore could finish the question, Narcissa Malfoy’s voice started. “Severus, do not answer his call. He knows.  Fulfill your oath take Draco and go quickly… No…”

“Narcissa?” Severus took a step towards the patronus that faded away into mist. He grabbed his arm as pain seared through his mark.

“Poppy!”  Dumbledore called.  “Severus has been exposed.  Prepare for the procedure.”

“Draco.”

“Severus, I will go to the common room and retrieve him myself before he leaves for the Halloween feast.  He will be safe in my quarters, I promise you.”

“Minerva…”

“I know, Severus. I will protect him with my life.”

“What happens now?” Harry looked around in confusion.  “If they know Professor Snape is a spy…”

“It appears we have a leak.” Dumbledore said sadly. “Your family. Arabella. Severus.  It cannot be a coincidence. We must move quickly, I’m afraid. Severus, you must leave Hogwarts after the procedure.  The safe house has been warded extensively and is under Fidelus with you as the secret keeper.  I cannot think of any other protections that can be added.  The existence has been obliviated in those who added protections and were aware of its location. Until we know what their next move is…”

Severus nodded as Poppy urged him onto a bed.  “I understand. Narcissa?”  Even though he believed her dead, he needed confirmation.

“I will contact Gringotts and see if her death is recorded.  In any case, I think it best that Draco accompany you.” Dumbledore turned back to Harry and Dudley as Poppy surrounded Snape’s bed with screens. “Dudley, it is not safe for you here.”

“It’s not like they can kill me again.”

“No, my boy, they can’t.  There are spells that are unpleasant to ghosts.   I think it best that you accompany Harry.  If that is okay with you, Harry?”

“Of course.” Harry internally snarked to himself.  Sure, ask him in front of the ghost.  What was he supposed to say? Dudley had been nicer since the dementor attack but he was a… well, a ghost.

“Good.  I will have the Dobby pack your and Draco’s trunks. He will accompany the four of you.”

“The four of us?” Harry said in dread, ignoring the “Albus, no!” that came from behind the screens.

“Of course. You, Dudley, Draco and Professor Snape.  You should all be quite cozy.”

Harry was sure he was white as Dudley.  His faint protest was drowned out by shouting behind the screen, thankfully a silencing charm cut off Snape’s complaints. He wondered if he would turn into a ghost after Snape strangled him.  If Harry did, he was so haunting Dumbledore!

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
Happy Round Two !o; To be honest, this may have been encouraged by a request here on Potions and Snitches.