Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Quality
The evening of the third of November, she’d meant to show her parents her scrubs, but all Cleo saw was her father dressed up in his, hunched over and ragged as if he hadn’t slept for days. He probably hadn’t. He had other things to offer as well. The look in his eyes. The dreary slant to his mouth. The news.

She’d mulled it over a few times in her mind, turning it over, trying to help it settle. It continued to tumble.

“Did you hear me?”

“She’s out,” Cleo repeated, voice wrung out already. “Out, out.” She looked down into her lap. “With Gabriel.”

“I’m sorry, honey.”

Her arms felt so tightly wound with how deep she buried her hands between her legs. It radiated to her shoulders, dictated the stiffness of her head shake. “You didn’t do it.”

He sounded a breath away from shattering. “He’s still my grandson. He’s still my responsibility.”

“Mine, too,” Cleo objected, glancing up. “And hers. So--”

“Are you okay?”

Such an inane question. She almost wanted to scream. What do you think? She could feel the impulse, writhing in the pit of her stomach, thrumming outward in an ache. He expected an explosion. Anyone who knew her would’ve expected an explosion. But this seething was the result of a long, slow burn. A candle at the end of its wick. She’d spent her tantrums in early adolescence.

“No.”

“I just don’t want you to panic.”

“I’m not.” A harsh breath strangled her mouth into submission. Her voice cracked for the first time, brokering tears. She shook her head. “No point.”

“I wanted--” He cleared his throat when his voice threatened tears as well, staring sternly at the floor for a few seconds more before he continued speaking. “I wanted to know what you wanted to do. Because-- because you know, it’s up to you. Whatever you want done, I’ll make it happen--”

The laugh that oozed from her was bitter as she leaned back in her chair, eyes going to the ceiling. “I don’t know what I want to do.”

“I love your mother very much,” this poured from him, breathless, as he leaned toward the mirror in earnest, “but I love you more, okay? And I will do whatever it takes to protect you and Gabriel.”

Her head swam. She didn’t want to think about this. She didn’t want this to even be a thing. But she couldn’t run from it, could she? Not when someone else was depending on her?

It made her sick.

“What even happened?”

“It was stupid--” he broached, teeth gritting. “Just-- my back was acting up. I went to go get a Percocet. I couldn’t find the bottle anywhere and I-- I just went to your mother, didn’t even think about it. She didn’t take it well.”

Cleo slumped as she directed her eyes toward one of Dumbledore’s overflowing bookshelves, looking without seeing. Her lips twisted. “Do you think she’s using again?”

There was silence. A deliberation. The sound of a hand scratching the side of a face. A sigh, all hollowed out. “Yeah, Cleo. I do.”

Cleo swallowed hard. “And I’m supposed to what, ask you to tell the police to throw her in jail? Alienate her more? Make this worse?”

“You’re supposed to do whatever you think is best.”

She looked at him. “What did you think was best?”

“I don’t know,” he answered, strained. Then, after a moment, his mouth tightened and stretched, as if he were steeling himself. “Do you wish I’d done more for you?”

“No,” she murmured. A lie.

“Gabriel is your boy,” he told her. “So whatever you want for him--”

“I want for him to not have to deal with this.”

“I know,” he smoothed over. “But that’s what’s happening right now--”

“I’m not an idiot,” she objected, heated. “I realize.

Her father frowned. “I know this isn’t easy.”

It took a moment for her to return to herself. She shook her head. “I’m sorry.”

“If getting angry helps, then get angry,” he advised, sincere. “Yell at me, even. It doesn’t matter.”

“It does,” she insisted. “It won’t help. I just want--”

When she faltered, he was patient. He waited as she breathed, her eyes tracking behind her eyelids as she sought for an answer. Any answer. When enough time had passed, he prompted her with a gentle, “What, honey?”

“I just want her to get help,” she confessed, her breath easing out of her so it wouldn’t choke up into a sob. “For once, I just want her to get help and stick to it and be the mother I know she is.”

He wrung his hands together. “Do you want me to wait, then?”

“I don’t know,” Cleo sighed. “I don’t know if that’s a good idea for Gabriel.”

“She won’t mistreat him,” her father promised. “She never did that to you.”

Another bitter, chagrined laugh rattled out of her like a cough. No, he wouldn’t die, probably, and he wouldn’t get hurt -- maybe. But Gabriel would turn out like his mother, and that was the last thing Cleo ever wanted. That was what a parent was meant to do, wasn’t it? Provide something better than what they'd had?

But maybe that was the pathetic inevitability of a child raising a child. There was never going to be a good or right way about this. Just wasn’t in their cards.

“She was never gone with me more than a week,” Cleo recounted, eyes glued to the ceiling. “So if she doesn’t come home then, we should--”

She let that be; let the implication slump to the floor under the weight of everything it meant.

“Would you want to charge her?”

No. But maybe she should have. Maybe, at this juncture, it was the only way her mother would learn. Sure as hell didn’t feel helpful in any sense, to just drive her to be everything she used to be, force her straight into the grave. But should she have placed the importance of that above her own child?

She could only express the complexity of this feeling with a paltry, half-hearted shrug.

“If I got hold of her, would you want to talk to her?”

“I don’t know.”

“Cleo--”

“I’m mad at her, Dad,” she protested, her voice cracking again. Her face was flush with a pressure that convulsed against her eyelids. “She did this to my son. Okay?”

He capitulated with a soft, “You’re right.”

“If she--” Cleo faltered, digging her nails into the insides of her thighs. “If she comes home-- she has to go get help. Alright? She has to go to rehab, immediately. Inpatient. Everything. Just like last time. And-- she has to stick with therapy. I don’t care how much she likes Concordia -- it’s not a replacement for everything else that she needs. If she refuses, then I don’t want Gabriel there. I’ll come home--”

“Cleo, no,” he opposed, brow furrowing. “You have to finish school.”

“God-- who cares? ” she exhaled, exasperated. “If Holly is going to be swanning off with my kid every single damn time you two have a fight with one another, then what the hell am I doing here? How am I protecting him from here? I don’t care about being a witch, I don’t care about finishing Hogwarts, I don’t care about my stupid internship--!”

“Internship?”

She leaned back in her chair, pulling on the lime green robe on her body with distaste, wishing she could peel the stupid thing off. “Surprise.”

“Oh, honey--”

Cleo waved a hand. She didn’t want to hear it. It wasn’t the first time her mother had ruined something, it wouldn’t be the last.

“I’m proud of you,” he tried again.

I’m coming home, if she refuses to get help.”

“If it comes to that, then we can arrange for something else,” he negotiated, crestfallen. “I’ll take him to my parents--”

“No? God no?”

“Cleo--”

“Like that would be any better? To be with people who wished he wasn’t even here? As if they’d agree to even meet him in the first place? As if I even want him exposed to that?”

“Then I’ll quit my job,” he asserted, firm. “I have enough in savings to last a few years. Could even explain to Dr. Greene that I need a sabbatical to take care of family matters. I’ll watch Gabriel.”

“Dad, no. No, you are not quitting your job--”

She heard the dull, but loud, slap of her father’s hands slamming on the table, the first show of a break in composure. “You’re not quitting school!” he barked. “I am not letting you quit and throw your bloody life away just because Holly--”

His eyes closed into a full, horrible grimace.

Her father wasn’t one to get angry. Ever. It shook Cleo to her core.

He choked down a gulp of air, as if resurfacing from a stint underwater. “You’d do anything for Gabriel, yeah?”

That went without saying, but she nodded anyway.

“I’d do anything for you. Is that understood?”

All Cleo could do was answer with a meek, “Yes.”

He took a moment more to recover, but eased back into the conversation with a deliberately casual, “I’d have to take time off anyway if your mother agreed to go back into treatment.”

She glanced down at her lap, shaking out another nod, this one much more helpless. Nervous.

“So, Gabriel will get taken care of either way. I don’t want you to worry about it.”

“I’m his mother,” Cleo’s voice peeked out, testing itself. She was surprised she could still speak. “I’m always going to worry.”

Her father let out a breath, nowhere near strong enough to be a laugh, like he’d given up halfway through. “There’s that.”

Her voice gave up as well, her response coming out as no more than a hum.

“She’ll come home,” he said, though he sounded more like he was reassuring himself.

“And if she doesn’t?”

His eyes widened, surprised by the bleak turn in the conversation. “Do you think that?”

“I don’t know,” she mumbled. “I didn’t think she’d do this with my kid, I didn’t think she’d ever relapse, so I can’t really tell you what I expect of her right now.”

The way he spoke to her was urgent, bordering on desperate. “You can’t think like that. Or you are going to stir yourself into a panic--”

“No, wouldn’t want that,” was her caustic rejoinder. “Wouldn’t want panic to get in the way of my Double Double, Toil and Trouble -- wouldn’t want it to keep me from turning needles into matches, or flying on broomsticks, or making sure I add eye of newt to my fucking cauldron --”

“Cleo, c’mon now, that’s not--”

“Because that’s what matters, right? That my panic doesn’t get in the way of being witchy while my son is stuck in the middle of fucking nowhere in some seedy motel while his grandma is strung out on narcotics for the fifth time that fucking day, doing only God knows what, maybe leaving him unattended with the door open or in the bathtub while the water is--”

Maybe the tantrums weren’t quite done yet.

She forced the heels of her palms hard against her eyes until it hurt more than the churning in her stomach and head. It only took a few moments of deliberation before the floodgates completely opened.

Cleo heard her father let out a breath, as if he’d considered and decided against speaking.

What could he say, anyway? There were no proper answers. He was wise to let her sit in silence. To let her cry without having to speak. It was an ugly, proper cry. One that rattled with screams, one that hurt so badly that she felt close to passing out. It was the sort of sobbing that left her spent, unable to continue, although the misery still languished inside her, tumultuous.

It left her voice completely dead. “S-Sorry, I didn’t think I’d--” She was glad that, for once, Dumbledore had left her with the privacy of her family.

“You needed that, I think.”

Cleo’s hands dived into her lap. Her father was a blur in the midst of artefacts still fluttering across her eyes from the loss of pressure. But she knew by the slump in his posture that he was as worn down as she was.

“I wish you wouldn’t talk about it like that, you know.”

Cleo sniffed hard, grimacing as a long line of moisture saturated the back of her hand when she wiped her nose. “What?”

“That side of you.”

“Oh, Dad, please --”

“You act like it’s a joke,” he averred. “Writin’ it off like that -- eye of newt nonsense. I know for a fact that if it were, you wouldn’t have even considered going.”

She swallowed a bit of syrupy breath back. “It feels like a joke when it comes between me and my kid.”

“And I think you’d fare the same way even if you’d gone to uni here.”

“If I went to uni there, I wouldn’t have had to leave Gabriel behind.”

“And you wouldn’t have left Gabriel behind were it not for something that really mattered to you.”

She felt caught all of a sudden. It made her want to squirm. “But it’s--”

“I remember, Cleo. I remember when that Scottish woman came to our home to give you your Hogwarts letter and explain the situation. I remember that look in your eye. But then--”

She knew where this was going and fast. “It’s not about her.”

“Isn’t it, though?” he questioned. “The switch was so quick after that, Cleo. Just one argument and you were ready to write it all off forever.”

“I don’t want to talk about this.”

“I wish you would,” he pressed. “Because I hate the way you talk about yourself. Cuts right to my heart. You act as if all that is not even worth considering. Do you think she won’t love you unless you do that?”

She shifted in her seat, looking away from the glass. “Dad, just-- I don’t want to.”

“You don’t have to choose. I wish you knew that.”

“What I want doesn’t matter,” she shoved the change of subject between them, non-negotiable. “It shouldn’t even be a consideration when it comes to Gabriel.”

“How do you figure that?” her father questioned, incredulous.

“If I were any real mother--”

“Oh, you’re a mother all right. Nothing hypothetical about it.”

She leveled him with a look. You know what I meant.

“Just useless is all,” he continued. “Comparing yourself to this idea of a ‘real mother.’ There’s no such thing. There are just parents who make their own decisions, good or bad. And yeah, Cleo. You’ve made some bad decisions. But you’ve made a lot of good ones, too.”

Sure thing--”

“Do you think resenting him would be any better?” he proposed, catching the sarcasm in her voice. “If you gave up on something that really mattered to you?”

“I wouldn’t resent him!” she balked, disgusted. “I would never feel that way about Gabriel--”

“But you wouldn’t be happy. And children have a way of knowing when their parents aren’t happy. And it makes them miserable, too.”

She felt like arguing, I could find other ways to be happy, but there was no use in it. She was used to this, her father insisting that he understood what made her happy. Running on this idea that she would constantly repress or settle instead of doing what mattered to her.

If only he really understood that Gabriel was the only thing that could ever possibly matter and she would orient herself in a way that suited him best. That brought her joy.

“Parenthood isn’t all sacrifice,” he divulged, linking his hands together. “Sometimes we make decisions that hurt now and help later. It’s just how things go.”

She couldn’t help the thought that floated, unbidden, to the surface of her thoughts. Do you think that because it helps you feel better about the decisions you made?

There was no point in saying that either. Useless hostility. Not what either of them needed.

Her face was sore. She glanced over her shoulder before announcing, “I have to go to work.” Not that she even wanted to go now. But what other choice did she have?

“Work?” He inquired, before his eyes widened with recognition. “Oh-- Oh, the, uh--”

“Yeah.”

“Night shift, huh?” He exhaled, forcing a smile. “I remember that. You, uh--”

“It’s not getting in the way of school, no.”

“Good. Okay, well--” His breath hitched in his throat. “I’ll just hold the fort, I suppose. And I’ll contact you the second I hear word about Gabriel.”

“Okay.”

“It’ll be okay,” he assured her. And himself, probably. “Have a good evening. I love you.”

By then, she’d risen and pulled her bag over her shoulder, her returning “I love you, too” quiet and feeble as the image of her father faded from sight.

She'd nearly decided not to show up to the club meeting on Tuesday. The exhaustion was a convincing deterrent, though it was a spectre she was growing accustomed to shadowing her. It lived in the pervasive anxiety that seemed fit to linger as a backdrop to everything she did. Hovering, but not quite enough to debilitate and excuse her from the promises she kept, the responsibilities required of her, the deadlines that she had to meet.

So with troublesome intrusive thoughts strolling beside her, she went to make good on the promise she’d made to Hermione.

On arrival, she was greeted with… quite a lot more people than expected. A patchwork collection of roughly thirty students, all hailing from different Houses, were in attendance, some faces familiar but most not. Surprisingly, she was not the only Slytherin representation, though that wasn't saying much… Ann Rochford stood tall amidst her gaggle of followers, imperious.

A polite tap on her shoulder prompted her to clear out from the doorway. As she was moving away, a familiar voice stopped her.

"Oh! Cleo!"

It was Jodie, standing at an angle to offset the weight of several large textbooks in her bag and wearing a large pink barrette to hold her bangs out of her eyes. "It's been a while!" she greeted, beaming.

“Jodie,” Cleo quietly replied, forcing a smile of her own. Though, matching her energy seemed rather impossible. “Didn’t know you’d be here.”

"Oh, yeah," the third year lilted, lips tightening as her eyes drifted about the room. "Lance invited me."

She’d never heard that name before. “Lance?”

"He's my…" Her eyelashes fluttered momentarily, a nervous tick. "Friend. Haven't I told you about him?"

“Afraid I haven’t had the pleasure,” Cleo admitted. “It’s not your fault. I’ve been pretty swamped. Has Potions gotten any better for you?”

The girl pulled a face momentarily before schooling her features. "Well, you know, I've still got a lot to learn."

“What section are you at?”

"Sensitive ingredients," she mentioned, depositing her bag on the ground with a relieved sigh. "We're handling fire seeds tomorrow."

“Oh, fun. Lessons that make Snape extra cantankerous. You must be excited,” Cleo teased.

Jodie expelled a mirthless laugh. "I'm just glad Snape isn't teaching any Remedial Potions this year, or I'd be the crowned fool of Slytherin."

Cleo’s head shook. “You’re being too hard on yourself.”

The girl’s gaze swept across the room, as if she were searching for someone. Or, perhaps, verifying that nobody important was around. Her hands went to her hair, smoothing it down absentmindedly. “Do you think Rhys is going to be here?”

“I don't know,” Cleo replied. “But it wouldn’t surprise me.”

"His girlfriend is here," she commented, going for a neutral tone and failing.

“Who?”

"Ann Rochford," Jodie supplied. "She's only a fifth year, but she's friends with loads of older students."

Cleo squinted. “Rhys is going out with her?”

The girl canted her head. "Yeah-- didn't you see her wailing over him in the Entrance Hall at the demonstration?"

“I did, but...” Cleo twisted her lips. “Didn’t really think a guy like Rhys would, y’know--”

Distracted, Jodie sighed, “Yeah… it’s--” Her eyes fixed on a point across the room. “Oh! There’s Lance and Erica!” She scooped up her bag again in a rush, her hastened departure completed with a well meaning but clumsy, “Nice talking to you, Cleo!”

Her voice petered out into a soft, “You too,” underpinned by a small smile. It was nice, in an odd way, seeing that. Nostalgic. She could remember being that carefree. Vivacious. Unburdened.

Her eyes fell into a heavy squint at the floor, insides clenching with guilt. Unburdened? Where had that come from…?

She watched the number of occupants in the room grow to forty as a group of Ravenclaws shuffled in but, inexplicably, the noise level increased tenfold. Everyone about her was talking loudly, laughing, practicing spells, enjoying their company… even if the groups themselves seemed to be carefully sectioned off.

And Cleo couldn’t help but feel the most sectioned off of all.

By the time Hermione arrived in the room, only a few minutes before seven, the sound levels had grown to full cacophony; the girl nearly dropped her mountain of papers, started as she was. Behind her trailed Harry, hands shoved in his pockets, and a few other Gryffindors Cleo had class with, but she couldn't remember their names.

Hermione tried to approach the podium directly, but was frequently hindered by misplaced students obstructing the way. When she finally arrived at her destination, she already looked tired but, after checking a quick Tempus, she tried to address the gathered students: “All right, I think it’s time to…”

No response. Cleo seemed to be the only one paying enough attention to notice her.

“Um, it’s-- it’s seven o’clock--”

Hermione seemed to be having a hard time wrangling the crowd. The echoing room shifted her voice about, diluting it midair; no one paid her any mind.

Suddenly, Ann’s high-pitched voice lifted above the other students, “Settle down, everyone! We’re starting!” A hush radiated out from her circle of friends and spread to the group at large as they all took their seats.

"Right, ehm, thanks," Hermione murmured, clutching a book to her chest for security. "So, um. Welcome. This is the first meeting. For-- for the Equal Academic Representation in Wizarding Institutions Group--"

Just as she'd managed to rattle that off, a Gryffindor from the crowd shouted, "Hear, hear!" A low rumble of laughter rippled through the gathered students.

Hermione took in an unsteady breath; the interruption could either bolster her resolve, or further derail her momentum. Judging by her next words, it had been the latter.

"Okay." Awkward, she shifted under the weight of their gazes. "The ehm… the… Well, see, the ah, reason I've brought you here--"

"I think we all know the purpose of the club," Ann cut in, amused. "It's in the title, isn't it?"

"Well-- yes, but--"

"Then let's talk action, right?" the girl continued, talking over Hermione as her protest fizzled out. Several other students were nodding, eager.

Hermione collected herself minutely, replying, "Yes, I-- yes of course. I was just getting to that--"

"Oh! I know!" Ann exclaimed, clapping her hands together with enthusiasm. "Let's hear some ideas from everyone, and we can all decide together what our first plan of action will be!"

Harry spoke, then, from his place in the front row. “Why don’t you let her speak instead of taking over, then?”

The girl tossed her brunette ponytail over her shoulder, leveling Harry an offended look. "What are you talking about? I'm only trying to help out." At that, she pinned her gaze on Hermione. "I mean, you were going to ask for ideas from everyone, weren't you?"

The Gryffindor shifted her weight, face as red as her house crest. "That um, I mean yes, of course I'd like to hear input, but I also--"

"Well that's settled, then," Ann concluded with a note of finality. "It’s not ‘taking over’ if I’m simply carrying out the original plan. Now, let's hear some ideas, hm? I have a few myself, but I think everyone should be able to share."

As if he'd been awaiting just such an opening, a Hufflepuff boy stepped forward out of the circle of students. "Hello all," he greeted the gathering, his posh accent only semi-familiar to Cleo. "My name is Justin Finch-Fletchley, for those of you with whom I've yet to make acquaintance."

A rumble of half-hearted acknowledgements and cleared throats passed through the audience. Cleo saw one of the other Hufflepuffs roll their eyes at the boy. He continued: “I am glad to see such a range of Houses represented in this gathering, and I for one think it's high time we all worked together in harmony to make Hogwarts a better place."

There was no response from the group, but Ann filled in the silence. "Very good, yes! That's what we like to hear, though of course that wasn't really an idea, but-- admirable enthusiasm!" Justin gingerly returned to his place as the girl ushered him away with a small, dismissive motion.

"Anyone else?" the girl asked, hands clasped behind her back.

A hand waved frantically in the air and Cleo quickly discerned that it belonged to the ever-bubbly Megan. "I just want to say that I am so excited to be here! This group is amazing!" she enthused. "I have so many fun ideas for activities!"

Ann's gaze had been expectant throughout, but she then prompted, "And those would be…?"

"Oh! Well, I think everyone else can probably think of something better," Megan qualified, playing with the ends of a tassel hanging from her school bag. "But it would be lovely if we could do really fun things together! Like painting a club banner, or making sweets, or-- or snowball fights--! "

A Ravenclaw boy picked up her enthusiasm. "What if instead of a banner, it was graffiti? We're making demands of this school, aren't we? We should use art as a form of protest."

Several students began talking at once in response.

"Is that really going to--?"

"-- not everyone is good at--"

"-- don't think there's enough--"

"Vandalising the school isn't going to help anyone," Hermione found her voice to cut in, expression incredulous.

"It's not vandalism," Ann defended the boy. "It's sending a message. 'Proving we won't be ignored', as Rhys would say."

A Gryffindor girl with red hair spoke up. "Yeah, we 'won't be ignored', all right. We'll be in detention the rest of our lives!"

"Ginny is right," Hermione agreed. "It's important that we stay above-board--"

"When has 'above-board' ever gotten anyone anywhere?" Ann dismissed, waving a hand for good measure. "We'll take it into advisement, um…"

"Eddie Carmichael," the boy supplied, a prideful tilt to his chin.

"A pleasure," Ann intoned alongside a slow blink. Cleo's swift glance at Hermione showed that her eyes were directed at the ground, mouth closed in a thin line.

“We could have a dance,” one of the younger Gryffindor girls said, blushing. “You know, like the Yule Ball. Some of us were too young to go before…”

Another girl, Hufflepuff that time, said, “I was thinking it might be nice to have an all-girls Quidditch match. The sport is so dominated by men--”

“-- a culture festival, maybe? My dad is from Belgium and--”

“-- should take out an ad in the Daily Prophet! It will look really favorable on--”

“-- selling sweets, we did that once to raise money to fix up my uncle’s shop--”

“-- House-themed ice sculptures would look lovely out on the grounds--”

A parade of ideas streamed from the gathered assembly at a pace nearly impossible for Cleo to keep up with. One after the other, students of all ages raised their voices to contribute. It might have been hopeful and inspiring, if the mood were not so peculiar; despite all the enthusiasm of the group, Cleo felt the distinct sting of imbalanced power. Hermione was the one who, by rights, should have been in charge, but she remained at the podium, saying very little. Standing tall and poised at the front, commanding the spotlight, was Ann, who took each comment with a slight smile and a cue for the next.

After most of the students had had their say, one voice rose up from the center of the crowd following a short delay. "Hi, um, I had a thought," a Ravenclaw boy mentioned. "Since we've got quite a fair bit of people gathered, we could put on a play. To, you know, raise awareness."

Ann did her due diligence and expressed the same amount of support for this as she had all the ideas previous. Clasping her hands together in front of her, she replied, "That's a marvelous idea--!"

"Raise awareness for what?" This challenge was issued by an olive-skinned girl from the same House, her tone plainly irritated, but even keeled. "What has absolutely any of this got to do with equality?"

The influence this had on the room was palpable; several people nodded along in agreement, while others looked worried, abashed, or disgruntled. The boy who had spoken before looked surprised. "Padma-- I didn’t mean-- Well, there's all sorts of plays about underdogs rising above their--"

"I'm not an underdog," the girl shot back. "I'm just tired of bigoted Slytherins mistreating anyone they deem 'inferior'!"

"Now, now," Ann's voice wedged itself into their argument. "Let's not resort to pointing fingers, hm? We don't all associate with degenerates, you understand--"

“Hold on, Ann,” Cleo stepped in, finally. “Let her talk.”

Padma scowled. "This isn't about pointing figures, it's about how some of you--" Her narrowed gaze lingered on the Slytherins in the room. "-- have really disgusting attitudes that a handful of detentions aren't going to fix!"

"There's always going to be some left-wrist wizards in any House," Ann was quick to stress, her voice smooth, if a little frosty. "But, of course, this club is all about--”

“-- not downplaying the concerns of others,” Cleo finished for her, feeling her hackles rise for the first time. "She's right to speak up if she's been experiencing bullying. Let her talk about it."

“And you shouldn't use wizardisms when you're addressing the room,” Hermione put in, seeming to find some confidence in Ann’s brief silence. “It’s inaccessible to Muggleborns.”

Ann's expression was a touch sour, but a Slytherin girl who looked close to Jodie's age spoke up. "This is a club. We're here to think of ideas, not listen to everyone's problems."

“You think I’m some kind of nag?” Padma objected, heated. “There’s a huge problem with bullying in this school, and how else will it change unless I say something? What else am I supposed to do? Stay silent?”

"No one is saying that," Ann relented, hands raised primly at her elbows in surrender. "Mafalda, we need to be more considerate. Everyone here is welcome to share their thoughts."

Padma's lips twisted. "Easy for you to say, when you're the one monopolizing the conversation--"

Justin interjected, "Let us remain civilized with each other--"

"Civilized?" Padma balked. "Do you know how often my sister and I have had to put up with--"

"Well you're not going to get anywhere if you just come out the gate with accusations--"

"She's bullied me! They've--" Padma's arms swept to encompass the whole of Ann's group, "constantly harassed my friends! And you want me to just be fine with that?"

"Not fine, just, not as hostile--!"

"You put yourself in my place! What would you do if--"

Many of the surrounding students looked deeply uncomfortable, but others were reacting more strongly to the tense atmosphere.

Another Ravenclaw boy tried to act as an intermediary. "Let's not fight; we should be working together--"

"Yes, definitely, Terry!" Megan agreed, now wringing her hands. "We're all here to help each other, right?"

Padma talked right over top of them both. “How in the world am I supposed to think that when you won't even listen to me about what her and her group have put some of us through?”

Ginny barged in, arms crossed. "Just the other day, one of Padma's friends was sent a scarf from her family, and the five of them kept making snide comments about it until she cried!” Her gaze was pointed toward Ann and her group, who could only manage to look scandalized at being singled out.

“It was only a joke…” Jane Atwater feebly excused, shuffling in place in the midst of Ann's circle of friends.

“Oh, some bloody joke!” Padma scoffed.

Another young Slytherin piped up again with a haughty, “No one can help that you’re way too sensitive.”

Padma’s eyes widened, furious. “Come again?”

“Lance! Don't talk like that!” That was Jodie, rising from her seat. “Words can be hurtful! That doesn’t mean she’s sensitive!”

Ginny’s voice was accusatory as she glared at Hermione. “Why are these people even allowed to be here?”

“Maybe if your friend calmed down,” a girl named Fay cut in, “and explained the situation like a normal human being--”

Padma’s breath hitched before she clenched her fists. “Excuse me?!”

A girl next to Fay placed a hand on her arm. “Fay-- Please. You’re not helping--”

Jodie was growing angry as well. “How else is she meant to react? I’d be really upset too if I saw my bullies show up at a club that's supposed to be against inequality!”

Both Ginny and Padma made a noise that expressed both their frustration and relief. “Thank you!” Padma belted. “At least someone gets it!”

Terry looked exhausted as he crossed his arms. “Well, what do you want us to do? Kick them out?”

“Yes!” Ginny and Padma exclaimed, simultaneous.

“Hold on!” Ann whined. “That’s not fair. You can’t just kick us out over a joke! One random girl throws a fit and suddenly me and my friends are no longer welcome?”

“Why should you be?” Ginny questioned, red in the face. “Especially when you make the entire school inhospitable for everyone? Why are you even here?”

“I haven’t done anything! Now you’re just hurling baseless accusations at me!” Ann complained. Her eyes, widened and exaggeratedly morose, besought the help of the others. “How is that fair?”

“It’s not,” Lance grumbled, scowling.

“Do any of you know who my boyfriend is?” Ann continued. “I’ve been with him! On the picket line! That should prove, above all, that I’m here in solidarity!”

“Oh so just because your precious boyfriend is an activist, you’re suddenly not a bully?” Padma accused.

Ginny looked toward Hermione again. “Hermione, I thought you were our friend. You can’t seriously let these Slytherins--”

“Oh we’re just Slytherins now, are we?” Lance was up in arms, practically barreling toward Padma with a raised finger in accusation. “So you whine because someone was mean to you but then turn around and discriminate against us based on House--”

“Will you stop?!” Jodie shouted to her housemate. "You sound like an idiot!"

Ginny swooped in, aggressively shoving herself in the boy’s face. “Back up, arsehole. Now!”

“Oh what’s that?” he balked with disgust, gesturing toward Ginny attempt at intimidation. “Just because I’m Slytherin, you think I’m going to attack your stupid friend?”

This is why people hate us!” Jodie shouted at him. “Because you act like this! Because you treat people like this!”

“I haven’t done anything!” the boy objected. “I haven’t treated her like anything! But she’s swanning around, saying there has to be a full ban on this club for Slytherins! I bet if we said, none of her type allowed, everyone would be in uproar--”

My type?” Padma growled.

“This is exactly why Slytherins shouldn’t be allowed,” Ginny seethed.

Fay popped up again, “There’s a Slytherin defending you, genius!”

Ginny practically rounded on her. “You know what I mean! Obviously if they’re not complete arseholes like this lot here, then they can stay!”

“I’m an arsehole, am I?” Lance bristled. “You’re the one who started this whole mess! You’re the one with a problem! Why don’t you leave?”

“Because this club is meant for people like me!” Padma argued. “For people like Hermione! Why the hell should we be kicked out just because you’re uncomfortable being called out for your horrible behavior?”

He stepped up to Padma again, chest out. “My horrible behavior, huh?”

All of a sudden, Harry burst out of his seat, placing himself in between Lance and the girl. “Back off.”

“If you can’t debate without hostility, then maybe you shouldn’t involve yourself in matters like these,” Ann suggested. “This is no way to achieve House unity.”

“I don’t want to be unified with you if it means excusing how you treat people,” Ginny averred in a tone so cold Cleo felt the room chill.

Padma’s tone grew urgent, her plea directed squarely at Hermione. “Are you planning to do anything about this?”

A quick glance at the girl revealed a picture of helplessness: her wide eyes, her face drained entirely of color, and her knuckles white as she gripped the scroll in her hands hard enough to strangle it. Hardly allowing her room to breathe, Padma shouted, "You going to say anything at all?!"

She was met with silence as Hermione stood frozen in place.

Padma scoffed. "Of course not." She pushed past her housemates, shoving Harry out of her way with enough force to destabilize him momentarily. Then, she leveled her gaze at Hermione's withered form. "Thanks for the support, Granger.

Her angry gaze encompassed the entire room before she barged out, the sound of her stomping clamoring hurriedly down the hall.

There was a heavy pause following her departure. Nobody dared to move or make a sound, as if the slightest disturbance might nullify the fragile peace brokered in the silence.

A small boy closer in age to Thea raised a shaky hand. Ann was the one to prompt him. "Yes?"

"Um." He swallowed, nervous. "May I please go to the bathroom?"

The girl folded her arms, sighing in exasperation. "Yes."

The child scuttled away, disappearing with the muted haste of a mouse. The atmosphere was only slightly less unbearable for the interruption. In the midst of it, Ann's voice arose once more. "Everyone… now that the disruption is over--"

"Disruption?! Seriously?" Ginny erupted. "Piss off, Rochford!"

She, similarly, stormed out the door. Ann, on the other hand, was quite composed, taking in a steadying breath before commenting, "What I was going to say was-- I asked for ideas from everyone because my idea was to combine a bunch of them together into one big event for the whole school."

The group remained quiet, still recovering from the horrible awkwardness that still lingered about the space. Ann sighed, frowning as she admitted in a pitiable tone, "I just… thought it would be fun.”

Megan, evidently, took this bait. “I think that’s a really fun idea. Right, everyone?”

The reaction from the room was lukewarm, with no one showing much support one way or the other. Somehow, Ann took this in stride.

“And if that girl had let me speak, I would gladly have given her the opportunity to be a part of the event, leading the effort to teach everyone more about cultural sensitivity…”

With the din gone, Cleo felt more inclined to speak. Sitting up in her chair, she leveled Ann with a scowl. “Stop.”

Her answering tone was sharp. “What?

With Ann staring back, the idea of getting into it with her seemed… pointless. Arguing the fact she’d antagonized the girl into leaving was going to get her, and the meeting itself, nowhere. Nevermind the fact that picking a fight with a fifteen year old felt so…

Pursing her lips, Cleo pointedly turned her attention to Hermione, who hadn’t budged one inch from where she stood, glum eyes trained to the ground. “What do you think, Hermione?”

As all eyes turned to the girl, Cleo nearly regretted drawing their attention. Hermione looked about ready to sick up; she was clinging to the podium as if it would keep her afloat. “Um…” she breathed, the sound shallow, as if the air was too thin. “I’m… We--” She filled her lungs, holding it before letting out in a whoosh: “We’ll meet at the same time next week.”

Releasing her stance, she turned quickly away, fumbling with her stack of papers as the room filled with murmurs and disgruntled chatter. As the students around her prepared to leave, Cleo looked at them in bewilderment; were they honestly ready to just leave it at that?

Well, maybe they were. The migrating crowd appeared to want nothing more than to scatter and leave behind what had been an awkward, unexpected experience. Perhaps wondering if something like this was even worth the bother.

And Cleo hadn’t exactly made that better, had she? Especially not to Hermione, bamboozled like that. What else was she meant to say, other than what would give her the quickest means of escape?

Shit.

The girl was still attempting to gather her things when Cleo spotted her. She needed to apologize.

Cleo hurried to approach her, but before she could get close enough, Harry beat her to it.

"Hey, you alright?" he broached, his voice so careful it almost sounded patronizing.

Even from a distance, Cleo could hear how strained the girl's voice was. "Yes. Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

Harry's brow was furrowed with concern. He lowered his voice to say something, and it prompted an immediate, caustic reaction from Hermione.

"It certainly wouldn't be the first time." Her arms jerkily scooped up her bag.

"Hermione, please…"

"I just need to be alone right now," she told him. "I'll talk to you later."

She was gone moments later.

Cleo’s arrival felt rather untimely in that moment. She considered walking away altogether, until she noticed Harry’s eyes catch hers. No escaping it after that, she supposed. Though she couldn’t shake the feeling of being caught in a place she shouldn’t have been.

“Happy to see you out of the infirmary,” she addressed him once she was close enough, trying for a neutral, safe ground.

There was an unsettled edge to his acknowledgement, a stiffness to his neck as he nodded. “Yeah, I uh… heal up quick.”

“Guess the rest was just what you needed, then?”

Harry pressed his lips together; she felt certain he’d meant to smile, but it seemed to have arrived half-baked on his face. “I don’t think any amount of rest could have prepared me for…” He gestured vaguely toward the center of the room.

“Oh.” Cleo blew out a breath she didn’t realize she’d been holding. “Yeah. This could have gone better.”

The boy folded his arms, frowning. “Understatement of the century.”

She smiled at him, albeit quite sadly. “I wanted to apologize to her, actually.”

“What for?”

“I only wanted Ann to stop bulldozing her,” she admitted. “But I didn’t realize putting the attention on Hermione would make her feel pressured.”

Harry’s gaze traveled to the door. “Padma was right. Don’t think anything is going to get done until the Slytherins are gone.”

Her answering sigh was exhausted; she wasn’t going to quibble with him about nuance. “Maybe so.”

At that, he seemed to remember who he was talking to. “I, ehm… I didn’t mean you.”

“It doesn’t matter,” she tried to smooth over, diplomatic. “I’m not going to fight you on it.”

However, this put Harry even further ill-at-ease; he cleared his throat, not looking at her directly. “Anyway-- I just wish there was something I could do... not that Hermione really wants my help right now.”

“She does,” she softly disagreed. “I think she’s just incredibly overwhelmed. This meeting meant a lot to her and considering how it just went--”

“Yeah, I know,” he commented, a weariness suffusing his tone. “It’s just-- The three of us had a row, and now she’s hardly talking to me or Ron.”

“Can I ask what you fought about?” Cleo attempted, wary. After a moment, however, she nervously tacked on: “It’s alright if not.”

His deliberation lasted only a few seconds before he said, "I don't really want to talk about it. It's just… It's all a bit of a mess, is what I mean."

“I see.”

If he picked up on her careful tone, he didn't let on. "Anyway, er… We still meeting up on Thursday? I'll have the Blood Replenishing Potion memorized by then."

“Ah… yeah. I might be a little late because I have a thing in the morning with Snape but… I’ll be there.”

His lips were closed tight when he smiled. “Well. Sorry, er, I’ve got Quidditch -- I’m late already, but I wanted to be here for… you know.”

The abrupt way he’d mentioned that left her stomach feeling tied up in knots. “No, don’t want to keep you. Sorry. Have fun.”

With a brief wave, he murmured, "See you later."

And when Harry turned his back, she felt a rush of heat blister against her eyelids, so sudden and unexpected that she ducked her head away to hide them.




She was delivering her sixth round of potions to the fourth floor Wednesday evening when a voice by her side startled her.

“Hey.”

A man emerged from the other side of a nearby curtain. Attired in green, he had the look of any typical hospital employee, but there was one key difference: Instead of the sashes given to healers, the man was wearing a floor-length white tunic over top his robes. Rather than the unicorn brooches Cleo was used to seeing in the Potion wards, his department pin was shaped like a three-headed snake. The man's teeth glinted as he flashed her a smile, tucking his wand away as he approached her. “New blood from The Pit, I take it?”

Cleo’s head dipped into a terse nod. “Yeah.”

He offered his hand. “Richard Moore, Minder-In-Charge.”

She had to shift her small container of vials into one arm as she caught his hand in hers for a light shake. “Cleo Croft.”

“Nice to meet you.” His head inclined toward the collection of vials. “Got a delivery for me?”

“Yes.” Her reply was measured, nowhere close to how chipper his was. “You want them anywhere in particular or--”

“Ah, well--” His forehead crinkled as he glanced around. “Suppose beside the girl is all right. We were about to administer anyway. Has Pye gone over the procedure with you?”

“No. He’s been keeping me oriented toward the lab work.”

Richard shifted as he placed his hands into the pockets of his robes, the movement entirely casual. “Well, I’m happy to let you observe if you aren’t expected back immediately.”

Cleo glanced over her shoulder, uncertain. “Do you think that would be alright?”

“Like I said, if you aren’t expected back immediately, it’s above board. Pye might be your mentor, but we all like to educate the apprentices when we can. I imagine with being stuck in the lab, you’re not getting much face time with the patients?”

A sheepish smile swept over her features. “Not really.”

He flashed another smile of his own to match hers. “Spelling potions to the stomach is rather rudimentary. I’d be happy to teach you.”

“I’d really like that, actually,” she admitted, the enthusiasm that was meant to be there failing to reach her voice. Her eyes locked to the courtesy curtain beside them. “You said it’s for the Jane Doe?”

His eyebrow raised. “Hm?”

“Oh, uhm-- I guess I’ve gotten used to saying --” Cleo paused, her expression twisting up before she explained, “Jane Doe -- it’s sort of a stand in name used as a placeholder for people who haven’t yet been identified where I come from.”

His lips pursed before they ticked up, amused. “Interesting.”

Her brows drew together and she shook her head, apologetic. “I’m sorry. I think I’m getting kind of used to being open with Pye and--”

“No, honestly, it’s interesting. He’s known for that around here, you know. Medical integration.” Richard’s voice lowered as he leaned in toward her. “It actually got him kicked out of the last ward he was assigned to. Pretty awful shame, if I’m honest.”

“Oh.”

Richard suddenly shook his head, frowning. “Oh, it’s nothing like ah-- him getting in trouble for talking about it, or what have you. More like, he tried a Muggle medical procedure on a patient. Rather harmless. But it didn’t take well.”

Cleo let out a breath. “That’s unfortunate.”

“Thankfully, it wasn’t anything that couldn’t be fixed,” Richard clarified. “But, Smethwyck tried to get him fired. Probably would’ve succeeded had the family not been as compassionate as they were, and if the bloke hadn’t willingly agreed to the procedure in the first place.”

“What was it, if I can ask?”

At this, a short laugh escaped from the man’s mouth. “Stitches.”

Instinctively, Cleo’s eyes plummeted down to the front of her stomach, her insides feeling lead-heavy. “Oh. Actually, I have experience with that. Didn’t go well for me either.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“It’s fine now, really.”

With a jovial hum, Richard nodded once before pulling a hand out of his pocket to gesture toward the curtain. “Well, I would be very delighted if you would assist me in attending to our 'Jane Doe'.”

His levity was likely intended to settle on her, warm and sincere, but all she could manage was an awkward grin to meet it as he pulled the curtain apart to allow her through first.

The girl’s recovery was coming along well enough. Despite her coma still persisting, her Splinch wound had healed over, for the most part. Her sinew and flesh were still in the process of repairing themselves, but in a few days the area would fill out and scar over. Her bruises had yellowed and were fading. Thankfully, she had begun gaining weight. Not near enough to be considered healthy, but in the very least she didn’t appear to be wasting away anymore.

“You have her full round of doses?” Richard prompted.

“Yes,” Cleo supplied, placing the small crate on her bed side table. Her finger pointed to each vial in turn as she listed them off, “Blood Replenishing, Tissue Regenerative, Nutritional Elixir, Splinch Salve, Bruise Balm, and Pain Relief.”

“I thought Healer Lindt put in an order for Bone Restorative this morning,” Richard mused, lips twisting.

“Oh, well-- I’m sorry, this is all Pye told me to brew.”

He waved a hand. “Not your fault. Probably a mix up. Would you mind telling Pye about it, though? We were finally able to do a more thorough examination since her condition stabilized and we ended up discovering multiple fractures.”

God, how horrible.

“I know we have some in stock,” Cleo told him, stepping back. “I could run down to the department real quick and fetch one for you?”

Richard shook his head. “No need. I’ll have Minder Tenenbaum handle it when we administer her Nutritional in the morning.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes,” Richard replied with a grin. “I appreciate the go-get-’em attitude, though.”

She flushed, though more so because she was ashamed that part of her was relieved he wouldn’t take her up on her offer. “Thank you.”

“Now,” he remarked, his voice taking on a tone of instruction, “when we administer potion directly into the organs, it’s better to start with a Nutritional. Some of these potions can cause nausea if not taken with food.”

Cleo’s head dipped into a nod. It was good to know that, in some areas, Muggle and Magical medicine weren’t all that different.

“The incantation starts with Iaculis, ” he informed her as he unstoppered the Nutritional Elixir. “You direct the wand from the bottle opening to the patient’s form. Then you indicate the area in the incantation itself. For this purpose, it’s Ventri.

Cleo’s brow furrowed. “Ventri?”

“Latin for stomach,” the man told her. “Inexact, I know. It also has the unfortunate side effect of forcing us to memorize human anatomy in Latin as well.”

“English doesn’t work?”

“Not to my knowledge,” Richard mused. “Perhaps even if that were possible, it’s not something I, personally, would like to test on one of my patients, considering the amount of things that could go wrong. If I were you, I’d invest in learning some rudimentary Latin.”

Great. Just what she needed. Cleo forced herself to nod.

“I’ll show the first round,” he announced, directing his attention to the girl. With his wand at the ready, he spoke as he moved, the wand work fluid and practiced, “Iaculis Ventri.

The vial’s contents tapered away until disappearing completely, and Cleo glanced from it to Richard’s wand tip, head tilting.

“Simple as that,” the man concluded, slipping his wand back into his pocket. “Not very showy, but we wouldn’t want it to be, would we? How about you try the next one?”

Cleo hesitated. She wasn’t so sure she wanted to try. “You’re sure that’s okay?”

“I wouldn’t offer if I thought this procedure was overly complicated and dangerous for an apprentice,” he assured her. “This is often the first thing you have to learn. Here, with her Blood Replenishing.”

He allowed her room to practice with her fingers and, after a few tries, she pulled her wand from her scrubs and made a careful attempt of her own. She observed the Blood Replenishing Potion drain from the insides of the glass bottle and disappear with apprehension etched into her features.

“Easy as that,” Richard complimented. “Good job. Why don’t you take the next two as well?”

In the end, he’d allowed her to administer all the potions that weren’t topical. He took over with the Salve, happy to instruct her on the proper way it was applied to Splinch wounds and had just begun the same process with the Bruise Balm when a woman approached the entrance of the ward, the expression on her face tight and severe.

“Richard, if you would,” she called across the gap. Cleo was thrown off kilter by her accent, harsh and… German? When the man looked, she crooked a finger to beckon him.

“Oh, Cleo,” he breathed, pulling out his wand to casually dispel the balm from his hands. “Would you mind applying the rest of this? Just be careful that you don’t jostle her too much. It’s the neck and arms left. I’ll be right back.”

“Wait, is that alright?” Cleo protested, frowning. “Leaving me with a patient?”

Richard waved a hand as he began to walk away. “Thank you for checking, but this instance will be fine.”

He trotted away to approach the grey haired woman. They exchanged words and headed off down the hall together, leaving Cleo with Bruise Balm in one hand and a comatose girl in the other.

The dollop was beginning to spread across her palm as she grimaced, her eyes drifting between it and the pervasive yellow-green pallor of the girl’s skin. Bending forward slightly, Cleo rested her free hand on the girl’s wrist, uttering a soft, “Sorry. I’ll just--”

She gingerly lifted the girl’s arm just above the covers, holding it in place as she slathered the solution against the problem areas. Her clavicles needed a generous helping and it was with smooth, careful strokes she made her way down until she turned the girl’s wrist over.

A raven sat there on her skin, clicking its beak at her in silence. Cleo’s brow furrowed. Bit young for a tattoo, wasn’t she? But, then again--

“Didn’t know they made magical tattoos,” she muttered inanely. It seemed a bit nutty to talk to a girl who wasn’t at all cognizant that someone was speaking to her in the first place. But it helped, in a way. Made this entire process seem a million times less invasive and awkward. “It looks nice. Wish I could ask where you got it done.” She paused, contracting her fingers against her palm as she meandered around the bed. Other arm next.

“I have to do this one now,” she told the girl. “Hope it’s okay. I don’t want to bother you too much. I promise it’ll be quick.”

She started from the shoulders again, pausing briefly to apply a bit of extra to a collection of healing bruises at her elbow. “We have you on the good stuff, I think. So the pain shouldn’t be much. And then your Bone Restorative is in the morning, so those fractures will clear up quick.”

Her head tilted as she upturned the girl’s right wrist and found a lion, slight but magnificent all the same, yawning against the girl’s veins. Cleo placed her hand back onto the mattress and moved to the bedside table for another handful of Bruise Balm.

“Sorry about this,” she apologized as she leaned down to plane her fingers over the front of the girl’s neck. A bit of yellowing hid itself at the crook, trailing around to the nape, and down her back…

“I don’t know if I should lift your head or move you to the side,” Cleo admitted aloud. Knowing where her fractures were located could have helped in that decision. Maybe if she…

“I’m going to lift you by the shoulder a bit, if that’s okay,” she said in the most gentle voice she could manage. “It’ll be a second, just have to make sure I get everything, uhm--”

Bodies were heavier than anticipated. “Dead weight” wasn’t a phrase used for no reason, she supposed. All the same, the girl’s body acquiesced when the right amount of careful force was applied and, as Cleo held her securely by the torso, she applied the balm against her shoulder blades and…

Another tattoo of an eagle sitting regal and proud, wings tucked in, was perched just under her skull. Cleo shook her head and smoothed her fingers against the bruise that sat just under its beak.

“You must be a very fun person,” she remarked, casual, making sure not to massage her fingers too roughly. “I’ve always wanted a tattoo. Seemed like they hurt, though. But maybe getting the magical kind isn’t as hard. Where I come from, they use needles, and--”

Her words were cut through by the sound of guttural, long-suffering breath. It took a second to process, but there was no delay in Cleo’s reaction when she suddenly felt the shoulders against her forearm tense, albeit weakly.

God. Please no.

Cleo’s movements were slow and deliberate as she lowered her back onto the mattress. She felt like apologizing, but it wasn’t as if--

Another groan came from the girl, more forceful that time. When Cleo peered into her face, her eyes were still closed, but her lips had tensed up against her teeth. Her throat clenched, like she was swallowing…

Oh, God. She must have been parched.

She glanced over her shoulder. Shit. Fuck the night shift! Why wasn’t anyone there?

There was no way she was strong enough to swallow water on her own. She couldn’t risk letting the girl choke. Maybe there was a hydration spell. Did they even have protocols for that? She had no idea. No, couldn’t risk an Aguamenti, or anything similar…

It wasn’t long until the girl rode it out on her own. Her throat ceased convulsing, but her expression had grown tense. Her eyes opened into a squint, her chest rising with breath that seemed to grow heavier and more frantic by the second.

Cleo recognized it as panic almost immediately. It made sense. If Cleo had woken up in a hospital, not knowing where she was or how she’d even gotten there, with minimal control of her own body-- she’d be terrified, too.

By instinct, she bent down and caught the girl's hand. “You’re safe,” was the first thing she thought to say, her voice so low and tender it came out a whisper. “You’re in St. Mungo’s hospital. You’re safe. Just breathe, okay?”

The girl’s splayed fingers twitched minutely and her throat seized up as if she’d attempted swallowing again. For what it was worth, the girl appeared to be trying to steady her lungs.

More information. If Cleo were her, she’d want to know more. “You can’t move very well because you’re very heavily sedated. You were found Splinched in Bottlebrush. Do you remember Apparating there?”

By then, the girl’s eyelids had opened marginally. Cleo could still see the blood in them: Small, dead capillaries spilling themselves over her sclera, like she’d been punched. Or choked. Or worse.

The girl’s mouth struggled to open as her throat constricted, the sound of her breath clicking in a glottal stop at the back of her mouth. The rest of it eased out in a soft groan, some approximation of speech. Cleo frowned.

“Don’t try to talk,” she urged the girl, grimacing. She should have said that sooner. “Do you think you can blink? Or move your head at all?”

The slight twitch of her head seemed to be her attempt to move it, in vain. A second later, however, her eyelids dipped before fluttering open again.

“Okay,” Cleo breathed. “One for yes, two for no. Do you understand?”

The girl’s eyelids fell once before sluggishly pulling themselves upwards.

“If this gets too tiring for you, we can stop. You need to rest if you can. Okay?”

One blink.

“Do you remember Apparating to Bottlebrush?”

One blink.

“Do you remember what happened before then?”

One blink.

“Was it an accident?”

Two blinks.

Cleo was likely overstepping her bounds here, she realized. It wasn’t as if this girl was anywhere near close to being ready to be interrogated. These questions weren’t even her place to ask, at any rate…

Yet, all the same. “Do you know who you are?”

One blink.

“So you can identify yourself when you can?”

Although the girl blinked, a labored breath passed through her teeth, sounding pained.

“Don’t push yourself,” Cleo reminded the girl. “Are you in pain?”

Two.

“Are you frightened?”

One.

It felt stupid, but Cleo reflexively squeezed her hand. “Don’t be, okay? You’re being taken care of now. Nothing will happen. I don’t know what happened to you before, but-- you’re here, in London, on the Spell Damage floor of St. Mungo’s. You are completely safe, I promise.”

Her eyes rolled upward, as if taking in her environment for the first time. She tried to swallow again.

“I bet you’re thirsty, yeah?”

The girl’s eyes lowered to look at her as she blinked again.

“Okay. I’ll go find a Minder or Healer, alright? They’ll know how to make you comfortable. Just wait here.”

But as Cleo moved away, she felt a slight tug against her thumb as the girl’s fingers curled upwards to catch hers. At that same moment, a pained breath escaped her again, but this time…

This time, the groan resembled a syllable. “Da…”

Cleo stopped, brow furrowing as she turned back around.

The girl was staring at her, wide-eyed and earnest. “Da--...”

“You shouldn’t--”

“... d. Da--”

Her mouth strained and Cleo filled in the gap, “Dad?”

Her throat contracted as she swallowed back her breath, making that awful clicking noise again. The girl’s eyes shut emphatically.

“I--” Cleo faltered before glancing over her shoulder again. “Miss, we don’t know your name. There was nothing to identify you when you were found.”

The girl’s chin lifted as her lips twitched with movement. “Vi,” she tried. “Vi--”

Cleo stalled her by placing a hand on hers again. “You really need to rest. Over exerting yourself right now is going to make things worse. Just give it a couple of hours, okay? Then you’ll be able to tell us your name and we’ll be able to contact your family--”

The sound that blundered through the girl was near violent with panic. The whole of her struggled as if to voice her disagreement.

Startled, Cleo leaned against the bed, using her hand on the girl’s arm to steady her. “I know-- I know it’s scary, but I promise, okay? I promise. But in order to find your Dad, I need to find a Healer in order to help you better.”

For what it was worth, the girl relented, though with a bit of reluctance, if the look in her eye was anything to go by. Cleo gave her wrist a reassuring squeeze. “I promise, I’ll help you find your Dad.”

They stood there, gazes locked, for what felt like an eternity. Eventually, however, the girl’s body relaxed and her eyelids drooped.

One blink.

And with that, Cleo turned and ran out of the ward faster than she ever had in her life.


Early Thursday morning, there was still no word. Braving her responsibilities was becoming an impossible, exhausting task, requiring a tenacity that was preternatural.

However, she had no other choice but to bear it.

Snape had instructed her to arrive around a particular patch of the grounds. The pre-sunrise haze gave the man himself the look of an inky blotch amid a brush-stroked landscape. He was alerted to her presence by the sound of her footfalls on the dewy grass.

"We will be entering the Forbidden Forest," he announced once Cleo was in earshot. His deep voice carried across the field easily; the grounds were quiet as a whisper. "I trust you understand all that entails."

Her heart wasn’t anywhere near her voice when she replied, “Yes, sir.”

The professor’s eyes narrowed minutely, but he said nothing, merely turning on his heel and walking directly to the treeline. Cleo’s gait was sluggish and cumbersome as she trailed behind him.

Two minutes of walking, and they were already further in than she’d ever been. It was odd; beyond a certain, indeterminate point they seemed to cross over into another atmosphere entirely. The air was thick, humid, the vegetation dense; the trees were clumped together in gnarled embraces, wild and moss-covered. And the echoing noise surrounding them-- it was as if they had shut themselves in a small room filled with hundreds of invisible creatures, all chattering and groaning at once.

Ahead, Snape navigated around swirling brambles and ducked past massive low-hanging branches with ease, his movements practiced. Observing his progress along the beaten path, such as it was, helped Cleo to manage her way through well enough, but she was still caught by thorns and unsteady footholds.

At most, the journey had taken fifteen minutes. The professor was stopped at the base of an enormous ravine, which rose high above them, shrouded in a thick blanket of vegetation. The passageway was so narrow and overgrown that Cleo would have to squeeze into it sideways.

Snape’s voice seemed hauntingly quiet amid the lively din of the forest. “Are you familiar with tracking charms?”

She was busy pulling bits of dead leaves and twigs from her hair when she answered. “In theory.”

Brandishing his wand, he pointed it toward the nearest tree, tapping the bark with the tip. “A passing knowledge will suffice for this exercise,” he told her. “Incantation: Signo.”

Although lethargic, she plucked her wand from her pocket and tapped the tip against the tree bark as he had. “Signo.

Nothing happened. Frowning, she lifted her wand to try again, but Snape stopped her with a raised hand and a second instruction. “Now, Pertento Solus.”

“No wand movement?” she confirmed.

“You need only hold steady.”

“Right,” she exhaled. “Let me--” She lifted her wand and sliced it to the side, canceling what she’d just done with a whispered Finite. Then, she pressed her wand back against the bark. “Signo, ” she repeated. She allowed a beat of a pause to pass, keeping her wand tip steadily against the same area. “Pertento Solus.

The spot on the tree where she had cast began to shine very brightly, the light so intense that she was forced to squint. Snape's gaze followed the path behind them; when she peered that way, she could see a glowing trail leading back from where she was standing, ghostly afterimages which walked in her footsteps like a long, white shadow.

“You will return here without an escort tomorrow,” the professor informed her by way of explanation as she ended the spell. “This will allow you to track your own magical signature.”

“Will my wand pick it up naturally, or will I have to incant something to see the path?”

Pertento Solus will reveal your mark,” he said, tapping the tree once again before stepping over its roots. “Signature trails fade with time; you may place more marks on the way back to the castle.”

Right. Obviously. He’d just shown her how it worked.

With that, Snape brushed away a strand of overhanging moss, indicating with a pointed look that she should go ahead of him. The narrow path was dark and soggy and filled with critters, if the tickling sensation crawling on the back of her neck was anything to go by. She couldn’t help the periodical shudder that shimmered down her back every time she felt one.

Their trip through the ravine was blessedly short; she emerged from the other side bathed in soft early morning light. The land sloped downward from where she was standing, a lighted glen through which a gurgling stream passed in its center. Wet rocks and green fallen logs framed the water's edge, and further down the stream let out into a small pool.

Having been so immersed in the manner of foliage native to the forest, she then spotted a section unmistakably out of place. On the opposite side of the stream was a patch of land where the soil was upturned and an orderly assortment of plants sat, untangled and exotic, separate from the wild mess around them.

"Gloves on," Snape instructed as he passed by her, descending the slope with long strides.

It took a second for his instruction to register before she was pulling her dragonhide gloves from her robe pocket. They felt a little tight as she pulled them on to each hand, the rest of her working in a warbly gait down the rocky glen. She near tripped when she crossed the stream in one long step, but caught herself with a soft yelp in surprise.

Snape glanced over his shoulder to observe her, but said nothing, his attention returning promptly to the garden. Cleo shuffled beside him as he pulled several small packages from a pocket of his robes. "With the aid of Professor Sprout's connections abroad, you have several options to choose from," he told her.

Her mind was in a haze, but she managed to say, “I remember us concluding in my research that Aconitum carmichaelii or possibly violaceum would be most suitable for what I’m going for.”

"Yes," he murmured, looking over the lot, "however, as I require a supply of wolf's bane myself, you will have four varieties to observe. Should you find keener results among the others, you may shift your focus accordingly."

“That’s generous,” she remarked. “I should thank Professor Sprout.”

"Indeed."

Snape strode directly toward an empty patch of ground, placing the slim parcels he'd been carrying down. His wand swished sideways before looping upward, and the packages swelled to ten times their previous size. "This space from the bank to the treeline belongs to you." With a flick of his wand, he indicated the patch of earth directly adjacent. "You are forbidden to disturb any of these, else you will be held responsible for the damage you cause."

The eclectic collection she’d witnessed earlier appeared to belong to the professor, she noted. His half of the space was loaded with all manner of strange foliage, most of which she didn’t recognize. Looking back at Snape, she saw he was eyeing her rather shrewdly. Oh. He was waiting for a response. “I won’t,” she promised. When his gaze grew further pointed, she added, “Really, Professor.”

His chief acknowledgement was a frown and a toneless hum. "You have all you need to begin."

It was a bit overwhelming, if she were honest. She wasn’t anywhere close to being in the mood to garden. Not that it mattered; it wasn’t as if she could tell Snape she didn’t feel like it.

But even then, she stood there for a protracted moment, face blank. Trying to dredge up the motivation to do anything at all.

Snape surveyed her, his eyebrows drawn low over his forehead. "Must I repeat myself, Miss Croft?"

Her head shook. “No. Sorry.”

It took a few seconds more, but she approached the plot, the rough leather of her gloves squeaking as she stretched her fingers. “The packages have my aconite?” she checked.

"Compost." The answer was clipped as he turned away toward his own plot.

“Then where--?” She stopped short, noticing the row of plants lined up on her side of the makeshift garden. She recognized several species of aconite, each roughly two meters high with their roots tied up at the end with a burlap sack, and there were a lot of them. For fuck’s sake -- how had she missed that? “Right.” She rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand. “Smart.”

She lurched forward, limbs buzzing with frustration, and dragged two of the plants toward the opposite end. They weren't especially heavy, but the odd angles of the stems jostled her knuckles unpleasantly. By the time she'd reached the far end, she was already tired of it.

Cleo returned to the pile, grimacing as she grabbed another two and dragged them over. Then another set, and another. Twenty-four plants total. She'd only kept count out of habit; long hours at the hospital doing nothing but cutting and sorting ingredients had already made their mark on her.

When she'd finished arranging the bagged plants, Cleo surveyed the tableau with a sluggish, meandering interest. Frowning, she was half afraid she’d have to dig into the soil with her fingers when she noticed a set of gardening tools behind the sacks of compost. And beyond that was a wicker basket filled with a quaint, flowered watering can, a neatly folded leather apron, and an extra set of cloth gloves. No doubt the work of Professor Sprout once again.

So. There was that, at least.

Arms crossed over her chest, she glanced in Snape's direction. He had made his way closer to the water's edge, sliding his wand through the air in a gliding motion. The unspoken spell caused a section of the stream to branch off toward the garden, sluicing into the soil.

Restraining a sigh, she turned back to the plants before her, vision unfocused. She felt like she ought to be more excited. Or grateful, at least. But at that moment, the thought of dealing with those poisonous bushes was tiresome.

It’ll be relaxing, she attempted to convince herself. Just like summer gardening with Mum.

The moment she had the thought, it clanged bitterly in her head; not only was the sentiment inappropriate, but the very thought of her mother’s face turned her stomach.

In an effort to dispel the thought, Cleo sprang into action. From the pile of tools, she hastily grabbed a trowel, taking quick strides to the nearest plot.

She stabbed the tool into the dirt harder than she'd meant to, the action full bodied and exaggerated. The movement was so jarring that her shoulder twinged.

Cleo forced her eyes closed. This had to stop. It was getting ridiculous. Focus. Chill out.

It took a few more pointed strikes into the dirt before she settled in to digging a hole normally, sprinkling the area with compost, removing the aconite plant from its burlap, and setting the root into the plot.

The process was far from relaxing; the plants, much taller than they were wide, kept listing to the side as she attempted to pile up the soil around the base. There were also several disgruntled inhabitants within the ground itself, unhappy to be displaced by her work and threatening to bite at her fingers. A combination of wind across her arms, dead leaves at her feet, and insects brushing past her neck kept her skin crawling for the duration; conscious of the fact she was surrounded on all sides by deadly aconite, she repeatedly had to take off her magic-resistant gloves in order to cast cleaning spells on whatever section of her had begun itching.

She worked like that, arduously and forced, for what felt like hours. Or however long it reasonably took to make three rows of five aconite plots, evenly spaced. Every so often, she noticed Snape glance her way to supervise her work, and thankfully it hadn’t been wretched enough to warrant his reprimand.

Even so, by the fifteenth dig, her hands were starting to bother her more than she could ignore. Before, it had been an irritating soreness that radiated up from her wrist to her knuckles. Now, it was a weeping sort of sting that spiked sharply up her entire arm if she so much as moved her fingers.

Just as she had nearly finished clearing a space for the next plant, her forefinger caught on the handle of her trowel, jostling the joint. The pain was so sharp that she cried out and fell back, landing on her tailbone in the dirt and cradling her hand to her chest.

Snape was at her side the very next instant, his quick reflexes familiar from all her time in his classroom. "Miss Croft?" he prompted, voice stern.

“It’s fine! ” she snapped.

His eyes narrowed. "Explain yourself."

That attitude certainly wasn’t helping. She fumbled roughly with pulling her gloves off, flexing her fingers outward. “Will you just back off?

Snape drew himself to full height, an obvious tell that he was gearing up for some scathing lecture or other. "Denying injury is foolhardy at best--"

She wasn’t. Her hands hurt because his idea of a day well fucking spent was over a cauldron for over twelve hours without a god damn fucking break! She glared down at her open palm as she massaged her knuckles between her fingers, her frustration mounting with every second the pain didn’t ebb.

Without thinking, she grabbed the trowel and threw it, hard, against a nearby tree. The horrendous metal clang was a gruesome underline to her scream, “Why am I even here?! "

When the echo of her own voice faded in the canopy of trees above them, she was forced to endure Snape’s own brand of silence, the barbed disapproval in his stare saying plenty on its own.

She couldn’t take being under its scrutiny. It was too much. Even worse, because it was saying more than he likely intended to communicate. The explicit judgment in it cut her to the quick and, as she stared up into it, her eyes went awash with tears. The next second, she forced her head down and covered her mouth to stifle a soft sob.

An awful quiet followed after the noise, even worse than the first. A silence that urged her tears to ooze out of her, uninhibited, until she was hunched over herself, catching her cries in the palm of her hand.

Still, the professor said nothing. Did nothing. It was a full minute before she saw his boots recede from her periphery, walking a distance away.

Then, to her surprise, Snape did speak, though it was only a single word.

“Come.”

When she looked up, he was standing beside the plot, trowel in hand. The professor held it out with handle facing her, a clear invitation.

She hiccuped on her own breath as she glanced between the tool and the man’s face, the free flow of tears catching on the edge of her jaw. She shook her head.

His mouth twitched downward as he adjusted his grip on the tool and stared at her, unwavering. “Come, ” he said again. That time, it sounded half an order, half an entreaty.

He was giving her a chance, she realized. To recover from this. To retain some dignity.

Though, it was hard to even want that. It was hard to think it was worth anything, considering the circumstances. But he was trying.

So, she had to as well.

It took effort, but she lifted her hand to take the trowel from him, another sob escaping her with all the grace of a cough.

He did not instruct her right away, as she'd expected him to do. With a short swish of his wand, the tie around the burlap unknotted itself, falling away from the plateau of dirt and roots belonging to the nearby aconite plant. Floating it sideways, he placed it in the center of the hole she'd been digging, holding it in place with a gloved hand at the top and a foot at the base when the spell released.

At that, his gaze fell on her, expectant.

Her breath ran thick in her mouth as she forced herself to swallow her cries, inching toward the plot on her knees until she was kneeling at the base. With the trowel delicately, and pathetically, gripped by her sore fingers, she moved to start pushing loose dirt into the hole. A harsh breath escaped her suddenly, jostling some of the aconite petals, as her expression struggled against shattering.

"Motus Imperium, " the professor murmured. "Guiding wand movement. Single focus."

“On the trowel?” she whimpered, the words coming out honeyed and tear stricken.

He lifted his eyebrows, normally a precursor to sarcasm, but all he said was, "Yes."

A shaky hand sought her wand and held it loosely in the crevice of her middle and forefingers, her eyes locked on the garden tool that she left slumped against a pile of soil. It was a simple spell, honestly. Something she’d learned earlier in the year in Charms. One of the easiest she’d ever accomplished when she’d put her practice of setting intentions to use.

She just had to imagine it, to want the trowel to gingerly fill the hole and smooth out the ground near the aconite stem, to space itself to the next row over, dig a hole, and repeat the process again.

But her mind could only focus on one thing: A host of scattered images, fractals of past memory, every bit of it painful and obstructive. They took up space, didn’t allow room for her to try to visualize anything else.

But she tried anyway, the spell stumbling out of her wound-like mouth, “Motus… Imperium.

The trowel sat up as if awaking, turning on its point in the soil before falling back to the ground.

The embarrassment of the spell failing struck her more than it ought have. Immediately looking away, she blocked out another loud sob with the back of her hand.

Snape's voice sounded like static when he spoke; it blended with the myriad of forest noises. If he was waiting for a response, he wouldn't get one; her ears were as clogged as her throat.

At length, the trowel picked itself up again and began doing the job she'd failed to tell it to do as the professor fitted her with a new occupation. "Start watering these."

Her humiliation mounted as he filled in to do her job for her; her sobs, in response, came forth with earnest. “I-I’m s-sorry,” she whined, her breath coming out in harsh staccato.

"For what?" he intoned, distributing the compost as the trowel did its work.

She sniffled hard, the sound of it so horrible and wet that it made her cringe. “C-Completely losing i-it.”

The man offered her a gruff exhale. "It is hardly the first time, Miss Croft."

It wasn't. She could distinctly remember having done this exact same thing to Dumbledore and him before she left school, the potency of the memory enough to conjure a bit of rueful laughter, beaten out of her lungs in between sobs.

It wasn’t long, however, before the tears took supremacy again. Especially as she glanced between herself and the stream and realized she hadn’t made a single attempt to carry out his instruction. She couldn’t. Not an inch of her would budge. Closing her eyes, the heaviness of her eyelids anchoring them down, she confessed, “I f-feel so-- u-useless.”

"I am acquainted with all manner of useless people," Snape informed her, an ironic slant to his otherwise truthful words, "I can guarantee not one would abide the thought of replanting two dozen aconite plants by hand."

Encouragement. He was trying again.

It was odd how this was the most comforted she'd felt all week. Or pathetic. She couldn’t tell which.

There was quiet between them for the space of a few minutes, but the sweeping rustle of leaves roared in her ears as a chill wind disturbed hundreds of branches overhead. It was only when Snape had finished the first plot and moved on to the next that he curtly reminded her, "The water, Miss Croft.”

Her guilt guided her eyes back to the stream. Right. Okay. More chances. She had to press on.

Rising to her feet, she trudged over to where Professor Sprout had left the watering can and took one in hand, her jaw setting against another wave of sobs. It would be fine. Dad would call by the end of the week. Mum would be back in rehab. Gabriel would be safe. She had to tend her garden.

She meandered over to the stream and carefully lowered herself to the bank as she filled the can to the brim. She didn’t mind doing it the Muggle way if her magic was going to be finicky. By the time she’d finished and ambled back next to the Professor, the last of that row had been completed.

Kneeling beside him, she set herself to the task of carefully sprinkling water on the completed rows, her countenance hardening by the second. Snape, for his part, was going about the next set of plants, his pace much more rapid than hers had been. “I feel certain you are aware that aconite generally blooms in the summer,” he mentioned. It wasn’t framed like a question, but she recognized it for what it was.

Her voice still warbled when she answered him. “Yes, what about it?”

“Have you given any thought to your method of achieving the required conditions ahead of year end?”

“I can barely think past the hour,” she admitted, shuffling forward to water the next row. It was too much confession for the situation. Too much for a guy like Snape. Yet his apathy made it all the easier for her to clumsily let things slip.

Still, the man hardly reacted, as if he’d expected her answer. “There are several options available,” he remarked, setting the next plant in its hole, “but all are likely to impact your results.”

“That makes it almost impossible to know what to do,” she weakly observed, feeling a few droplets fall from her lashes as she blinked. “Considering I don’t exactly know what conditions would be optimal…”

“You have in your possession four varieties of aconite, and six each,” Snape pointed out. “There is yet room for experimentation.”

“That just feels like pressure,” she replied, a bit gloomy. “I don’t want to risk any magic ruining them.”

“Research is, by its nature, risky, Miss Croft,” he told her, shooting her a look. “So long as you gain knowledge and insight from the venture, a collection of dead plants are a worthy sacrifice.”

“Not if someone else is donating them to me,” she argued, allowing the guilt of the hypothetical, of all things, to sadden her further. “That just-- sounds selfish.”

Snape paused his work to turn her way, his brows drawn low over his eyes. “To act in one’s own self-interest and to act selfishly are chiefly different concepts,” he returned.

“They sound incredibly similar to me.”

“The former is an act to improve your station, to elevate your own attributes,” he explained. “The latter is to do the same, only at the willful expense of others.”

“Well, considering this is out of Professor Sprout’s pocket--”

“And exactly who drew it out?” Snape interrupted her, stern. “You, Miss Croft? Have you orchestrated the transaction? Manipulated to get your way?”

“I might as well have!” she barked, more heated than was necessary. “Why is that so wrong to say? That I might have some responsibility in this? That my actions have consequences, that I have to comport myself better because of that?”

He fitted her with a glare. “There is give and take in all things,” the professor said, his gaze dropping back to his work. “One man’s consequence is another’s opportunity. Your responsibility is to accept them with poise, and to capitalize upon them so as to outweigh whatever misfortune they sprang from.”

“Not if I create the misfortune,” she corrected him, annoyed.

Snape scoffed. “And where is it? This misfortune you have wrought?”

Cleo looked him dead in the eye, frowning. “Just stop.

The man held her stare with more intent than she was used to, though his eyes narrowed as he continued anyway, “You cannot be blamed for that which you cannot control.”

He was making the deadly assumption that none of this was under her control. Not that it mattered. She knew the truth. Breaking eye contact felt heavy, like pulling away from being held, but she managed with enough casualness to make her return to watering the final row appear seamless.

When she finished, Cleo leaned back, wiping her brow with the back of her hand, even though it was a useless gesture. “Weather charms, I think,” she responded on delay. “Though I can’t say how well the plants will respond.”

“That is the most stable option.” He picked up her line of thought easily, as if there had been no interlude. “The charms will, however, require some finesse. The change in climate must still be gradual enough to allow time for the aconite to react; a shock to the system would be quite disadvantageous.”

That was harder for her to visualize, so… “You said there were other options,” she prompted, sighing.

The man lifted an eyebrow at her. “Did you not already make your decision?”

“I don’t trust my grasp on more advanced charmwork,” she told him, eyes closing. She bent her head into the crook of her elbow, wiping away the last remnants of her tears.

“And why is that, exactly?” he questioned, deadpan.

She looked at him, squinting. “I just don’t?”

“Ah, yes,” Snape drawled, taking hold of the trowel to deposit it back where it came from. “Your thorough attempt at self-examination has certainly yielded insightful results.”

It wasn’t worth arguing, or getting into it with him. Her jaw set momentarily, before her eyes swept from the garden back to him. Her expression went neutral as she lifted her chin. “Thank you.” She blew a sigh through her nose as she tilted her head toward her garden. “For this.”

His answering hum was unimpressed. “It is nothing.”

“It won’t happen again,” she promised, picking up on his disapproving tone. “I’m sorry.”

“Indeed it will not,” Snape agreed. “I will make sure of it.”

That caught her off guard. “I’m not sure what you mean--”

“As your advisor,” he cut her off, a gleam in his eye, “it is imperative that I refine your work ethic, to ensure you do not fall behind due to a temporary leave of absence.”

Wait, what?

“Temporary--” she staggered, wide eyed. “Professor?”

“I expect excellence, regardless of circumstance--” Snape continued as if he hadn’t heard her, though his raised eyebrow indicated he had.

“But I don’t understand--”

“-- and you have family matters to attend to, do you not?”

He looked at her, expectant. As if this entire exchange hadn’t mostly remained one sided. “How did you even--”

The professor arose from where he knelt, turning so quickly away from the garden that his fitted robes managed to flutter behind him, majestic. He did not pause his departure as he beckoned her with one word, just as unwavering in its conviction as it had been previously.

“Come.”