Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Finding a Guardian

Finally getting rid of the Dursleys should have solved all my problems.

 

It certainly solved all theirs.

 

No unwanted mouth to feed.

No disturbed nephew to hide from the neighbours.

No weird magic any longer.

 

Of course, they did loose their cheap (free) gardener, maid and general dog's person for any unsavory task my Aunt Petunia thought was too good for her family to do, which I should be considered part of but let's be honest: I am just a burden after all. I had spend most of my childhood, when not running away from my cousin Dudley,doing all kinds of chores: cooking, cleaning, doing the laundry, gardening, keeping the house presentable inside and out. 

 

I had been estatic when after my first year at Hogwarts and after countless attempts to convince anyone at Hogwarts that I could not return to the Dursleys, I was successfull.

 

McGonagall got a bit suspicious after my constant badgering to please let me stay at Hogwarts. She'd told me that she had been there on the day I was left on the Dursley's doorstep and that she had her suspicions about them. So two days before term ended, McGonagall left Hogwarts for an interview in Surrey.

 

I have no idea what she discovered at the Dursley's but that evening she came into the Common Room, which she had never done so far, and pulled me to the side.

 

"Potter, do not worry. You will not return to your family. Arrangements will be made."

 

She gave me no more details but I guess she had been busy trying anyone willing to take me in instead of answering my questions.

Ron said that his parents would love to have me. I really liked that idea because then we would be basically be brothers. It did not work out. Too many kids already and no funds to house another. Apparently the Ministry of Magic checked these things.

I would have gladly given the Weasleys all my money but that would have been frowned upon. The money was after all my inheritance. No guardian or family that would take me in, would be allowed to touch my money.

 

The Durselys had always told me that I was expensive to keep so it did not surprise me in the least that after it came out that whoever would take me in, would have to pay for my upkeep, was interested. After all my own blood family did not care for me, so why expect different from strangers?

 

Hermione's family was also out. No magic. I will not repeat Hermione's rant about systematic racism (whatever that is!) but she was really annoyed.

 

The day the Hogwart's Express left Hogwarts, I was still unsure where I would end up.

So here I was, standing on the plattform, waving at my two best friends. While I watched the Hogwart's Express disappear around the corner, I felt alone and scared. What was going to happen to me?

I knew that I was supposed to take a horse-less carriage back to Hogwarts right away. But when Hagrid said, that he was going into the village to pick something up, I just followed him.

 

Or so I intented. The moment I came into the town square proper, didn't even mangage to have one look into a shop window, there he was, my biggest enemy after Voldemort: Snape.

 

 

"POTTER!"

 

Ergh. That voice. The LOOK of disgust.

 

I squared my shoulders and braced myself.

 

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?! ARE YOU INCAPABLE OF FOLLOWING JUST THE SIMPLEST OF DIRECTIONS? DO YOU THINK I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN TRACK YOU DOWN?"

 

Track me down? Was anyone looking for me?

I thought I was going to have to spend another week or so at Hogwarts while they figured out where to put me. After all not even an hour ago McGonagall told me that it would take some more time to find a new home for me.

 

"Didn't think anyone would care", I mumbled.

 

"Selfish! Just like your father!" Snape grabbed my upper arm and dragged me out of the village. Back to Hogwarts, or so I guessed.

Suddenly there was a preasure. Like the air compressing around me, making it hard to breath. The world started spinning.

As suddenlly as it started, it stopped. It was as if a bus had landed on me, forcing me on my knee's.

 

I felt as if I were going to be sick.

 

"Up Potter! Up! I have wasted enough time!"

 

Again Snape grabbed my upper arm and pulled. As I was roughly pulled back up on my feet, I noticed that the surroundings had changed. We were neither in Hogsmead, nor at Hogwarts!

 

It looked like a run-down version of Little Whinging. Some old, tacky cars. Rubbish all on the street. Overgrown gardens. Broken fences. Houses which had clearly seen better days.

 

Where on earth were we?

 

"We moved!"

 

"Brilliant deduction as always Potter!"

 

Still holding my arm, he pulled me from the sidewalk up to a door.

 

Was this going to be my new home? But it looked so Muggle! If I could have stayed with Muggles, why couldn't I stay with the Grangers? Also the area did not look like a wealthy area, so whoever I was staying with also must have had some money issues! This was so unfair!

 

"Where are we? Is this where I am going to stay?"

 

 

No reply.

 

Snape took out his wand and dragged it down the door, before tapping the doorhandle. The door sprung open. He didn't even ring the doorbell.

 

How rude!

Could wizards just break in to houses? Also what kind of rubbish security system. This was definietly not safe!

 

The inside looked even worse than the overgrown garden I had been dragged through. Dust was everywhere. Cobwebs were hanging down the walls. By the door was a pile of letters and advertisments, the postman must have shoved through the door.

 

I was supposed to stay here?

 

 

"Welcome to my house, Potter. The Headmaster in all his wisdom has decided that we are going to spend the next six summers together."

 

What?!

To be continued...