Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everyone, this is my first ever fan fic story that I have written. I have had this story in my mind for a while now, but never felt confident enough to try and write it out. I hope I can do some justice to these characters and create a well-liked, well written story. The way I am writing Snape, I envision movie snape, as I feel he was more believable as a character than the excessive bully with temper issues. Although I do love both portrayals of the character. I am changing bits and pieces of the plot, so while this is taking place during 5th year, some changes in the timeline are being made. I hope you all enjoy.
Chapter 1

Flora Rose Potter, the girl who lived. She hated this title she had. Why did she have to be the “chosen one?” She felt angry, alone, isolated sitting at home in her room. It had been a month since the Tri wizard tournament – since Cedrics death. She could not live it down, could not forget. There have been many sleepless nights where she has snuck out just to walk wherever she could under the moonlight. The only good thing about that night was seeing her parents, even if they were just their spirits. Flora could see her resemblance with her mum. It made her happy seeing how much of Lily was in her. A little spitting image of her, but with long locks of brown hair. It was sleek, straight and shined a beautiful copper in the sun. She has always been told she resembled her mum, and seen only a few pictures, but now she could see her in person. Even if it wasn’t a physical form, it was still something more to her. Flora had a pile of letters in her room she has yet to open from friends. She cannot bring herself to read them, she would rather avoid the pain they bring back. It was getting late, and all she could bring herself to do is stare out at the rain coming down near the streetlight. She could hear the Dursleys downstairs playing their favorite game together. Flora wished she could have had that life, full of joy, making memories with her family. Instead, she has her aunt who never stops Uncle Vernon from hurting her. Maybe this year will be better, she thought cynically, to herself.

Flora Rose Potter has had an interesting four years at Hogwarts. She expected her fifth year to be no different. That was until the appointment of Umbridge as her Dark Arts professor. She has spent the first few months of school in detentions for speaking out against her teacher, suffering with the abuse of the blood quill. It was December now, and Flora was feeling more alone than she ever has. She can’t write to Sirius, with too many risks of the ministry intercepting those letters. There are still many classmates who refuse to believe her about the dark lord once again rising. She had her closest friends on her side at least. But even they didn’t understand what she was going through.

It had been a long day full of class and detention. All Flora wanted to do is fall onto her bed and sleep through the weekend. She had a headache, a bad headache. She made it back to the common room from detention to see Ron and Hermione waiting for her.

“How was it, how’s your hand?” Hermione reached out to grab Floras hand, but she pulled away.

“Its fine…I’m fine. I just need to sleep. Please.” Flora sounded bitter and defeated. She felt bad for being so rude to her friends who only want to help but went up to bed without looking back. Ron and Hermione only exchanged concerning glances.

Flora managed to get some sleep when she was awoken from a nightmare. The dark lord was attacking Mr. Weasley at the ministry. It all looked like Flora herself was the assailant. Flora could not breathe, her eyes full of tears and panic.

“Flora! Flora, are you alright? You look horrible!” Hermione was freaking out and called for McGonagall.

“I… Mr. Weasley…The Ministry… He’s in Danger!” Flora panted trying to express what happened.

“Miss potter, you need to breathe. C’mon were going to see the headmaster.”

 

Flora had two occlumency lessons with Professor Snape since that night. It has been a week of pretending she has remedial potions. Flora was not arrogant, but she certainly did not like pretending she was terrible at a subject where she had one of the highest grades.

Dinner time rolled around, and Flora was sitting alone, hiding, near the hall exit to Hagrid’s hut. She was feeling so isolated this year, she knew she was no longer living a somewhat normal life with the dark lord being capable to enter her mind. She loved being alone anyway when she was upset or stressed. Being a good student, she usually worked on schoolwork to keep her mind off things.

Flora made her way to the great hall and spotted Ron and Hermoine.

“Where have you been? Ron and I have been looking for you!” – Hermoine said with a still of worry in her voice.

“Nowhere, I just wanted some time alone.” Flora looked up to the head table and saw Snape looking her way. They had made eye contact before flora quickly looked away.

“You have a lesson, tonight don’t you?” Hermoine expressed like it now made sense why Flora was so aloof today.  

“Yeah, I have to be at his office right after dinner. He said not to be late, or it will result in detention.” Flora wasn’t excited for this at all, she had been practicing clearing her mind, but her stress and anxiety wouldn’t let that happen.

“Aye mate, that’s rough. He doesn’t have to be such a bloke about it, detention for being late seems harsh when he could just take house points.” Ron said just before shoving his face full of mashed potatoes.

Flora just sad there sullen. Stirring her food around her plate.

“Hey, I have good news from mum about dad! They found the death eaters who were responsible for the attack, who set the snake on dad.”

“It was the dark lord, Ron. Whoever they have found are only to help the ministry cover up the fact that it was him.” Flora stated with a cynical tone.

“No... um, well yeah, I guess.” Ron leaned in close to Flora and in a hushed tone said, “But they arrested Pansy’s parents.”

“Really? That must why she glared at me each time she’s seen me in class today. “

“I think she thinks you’re responsible… they had to arrest someone for the attack since you seen it happen. They couldn’t just cover it up with too many of us knowing about it.” Hermoine sounded apprehensive to say such a thing, but Flora knew she was probably right.

The trio was just outside of the great hall, about to approach the Grande staircase when Flora heard someone shouting after her. They stopped to notice it was Pansy, with her group, Crabbe and Malfoy.