Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 22: One Step Forward

“Ah, Sirius,” Albus announced as he entered the Infirmary. “You are looking so much better.”


Sirius didn’t respond. He was sitting up on the cot. A tray filled with food sat unattended on the side table beside him.


“Are you not hungry?” Albus asked when he got to Sirius’ bedside. “I think you would be happy that you didn’t have to spend another Christmas in Azkaban.”


“How can I be happy when my godson is with that Death Eater?” Sirius growled. 


Albus didn’t reply to that. He waved his hand, and a chair materialized next to him. 


“Minerva told me what you said after I left the other day,” Albus said quietly. “I would’ve thought your views would have changed since then.”


“Snivellous should not have my godson,” Sirius raged. His arms were folded across his chest. 


Albus shook his head. “Have you not learned anything?”


Sirius looked at the Headmaster.


“Learned what?” Sirius groused. “He has my godson!” Sirius screamed.


“And the way you’re acting,” Albus replied, “he will continue to have him. And until you are ready to listen to what Minerva and I are trying to tell you-” Albus, let the statement stop there.


“What?” Sirius snapped. “That Snivellous is a good man. That he’s changed. That he’s what–I don’t know–something special.”


“This is not about Severus,” Albus said. “It’s not about you.”


“Yes, it is,” Sirius raged back. “That Death Eater should have been in Azkaban. Not me.”


Albus sat back and looked at the man he had just removed from Azkaban. Could it be possible that the level of hatred between Severus and him was that great? 


“I knew you and Severus didn’t get along,” Albus sighed. “After everything that’s happened, you still hate Severus that much? In the beginning, I surmised your animosity was as teens being teens. I’ve seen pranks go from both sides. I didn’t feel I should step in until that one prank almost became deadly.”


Sirius’ anger dissipated as he listened to the Headmaster. 


“Your last prank,” Albus continued, “could’ve caused the death of students that night. And I did lose the faith of one that night. Do you remember?”


Sirius hung his head. He didn’t answer. James and Remus refused to speak to Sirius after that night. It was just a prank. No one was supposed to be seriously hurt. It was just to scare Snivellous. 


“What?” Albus cupped his hand by his ear. “Nothing to say now. Your prank, that’s what you told me it was unless your hatred wanted something more–”


“It was a prank,” Sirius interrupted. “I didn’t know–”


“If it succeeded,” Albus continued, “would have meant the death of both Severus and Remus. If Severus had been killed, Remus would’ve been put to death. I would’ve been arrested, having a known werewolf within the school. Werewolves weren’t allowed in schools: magical or muggle.” 


Albus saw Sirius’ color drain from his cheeks. 


“What? You didn’t know that?” 


Sirius mutely shook his head. 


“And what about you?” Albus continued. “Would you sit back and laugh while all this was going down? I know you would have been the only one because James went after Severus to stop it. James could’ve been hurt as well.”


“Remus wouldn’t have attacked James,” Sirius said with certainty. 


Albus raised his eyebrow at that information. “Really. Interesting. What would make James being with a werewolf safer than just Severus alone?” Albus didn’t wait for Sirius’ answer. “Be that as it may, you would have been laughing alone. Thankfully, Severus wasn’t attacked. But there were damages that happened that night. In order to keep the attack quiet, I made Severus promise not to let loose his knowledge of Remus’ ailment.”  


Sirius had to admit he was surprised when there weren’t articles in the Daily Prophet about werewolf sightings. It was the catalyst of James’ and Remus’ silent treatment. He never realized that Snevillous was sworn to secrecy.  


“Now, you stated that Severus should’ve been the one in Azkaban,” Albus said. “Forget that it was Severus’ knowledge that we learned James and Lily were targeted in the first place. That he shouldn’t have your godson.”


“Exactly,” Sirius answered. “He shouldn’t have my godson. I’m Harry’s godfather.”


“Hmm,” Albus sighed. “This is the first time you said Harry’s name.”


“What?”


“This entire time, you’ve been talking about Severus, but not once have you mentioned Harry by name. Makes you wonder.”


Albus stood up and vanished the chair.


“Wonder what?” Sirius asked.


“Where your priorities are,” Albus answered. “You’re worried about the wrong things. And it is costing you a lot because of it.”


Albus turned away towards the door. “Oh, one more thing,” Albus said, walking back to Sirius’ side. “This will be the last time I hear the word Snivellous in this school. You are an adult. Act like one.” Without another word, Albus walked out of the Infirmary.


___000___000___000

Filius Flickwick was coming out of his chambers when he saw Severus headed towards him. 


“Ah, Severus, Happy Christmas,” Filius called out. 


“Same to you,” Severus said. “Do you have a moment?”


“Of course,” the Charms Professor said. He went back towards his office. “What can I do for you?”


“That old cat saw fit to gift Potter the latest broom on the market,” Severus snarled.


Filius laughed out loud. He, as well as most of the Professors, knew that Minerva was a Quidditch fanatic. Minerva and Severus had a long-standing rivalry regarding the Quidditch trophy. 


“What do you want me to do?” Filius asked. “Slow it down?”


“No,” Severus said. “Though that wouldn’t be a bad idea.” Filius laughed. “I want more safeguards on it. I’m sure you know how trouble seems to follow my godson. One of them happening on the Quidditch field.”


“Ah, yes,” Filius said, sobering. “Are you any closer to who would hex the child’s broom?”


“Closer, but not definite,” Severus answered. “But I would appreciate it if you could put a few charms to thwart that from happening again.”


“Of course, of course.” Filius took the Nimbus broom. “I should have it ready later on tonight.”


“Wonderful,” Severus said, walking out of the office. 


+0+0+0

Severus walked into his chambers. 


“I swear, I would like to have one time when I can come into my chambers, and no one is waiting on me,” Severus said. “What do you want, old man?”


Albus couldn’t keep the twinkle out of his eyes. Yes, he could’ve waited until Severus was in his chambers before coming in, but it was just more fun this way. Severus was so easy to aggravate. 


“Come sit,” Albus said, holding his hand towards the sofa.


Severus sighed as he sat down. He was about to say something before Albus continued. 


“I know, I know,” Albus said, smiling. “I never give you a minute's peace. And that may be true, but I didn’t want to think you didn’t get anything.” 


“Albus–”


“Plus, I didn’t want to embarrass you in front of Harry,” Albus said, quieting Severus’ objections. “Though, I don’t know why you would be embarrassed.”


Severus closed his eyes and lowered his head. So many different emotions were going through the man. Severus wasn’t looking for a present. Deep down, he was happy to share Harry’s first Christmas morning with Albus and maybe Minerva. Seeing the child’s face light up to whatever he got could warm even the coldest heart. 


Severus opened his eyes when he felt something being placed on his lap. It was a medium size box that spanned its length and width. It was heavier than one would think for something this size. The Potions Master looked at it and then up at Albus. 


Albus couldn’t help laughing. “Now, Severus, it isn’t going to attack you. Open it.”


Severus wasn’t so sure about it not attacking him. Albus was known for giving him gifts that moved. After opening his gift, Severus was taken aback. Several crystal domes were filled with some of the rarest flowers in stasis. 


“Are they what I think they are?” Severus asked. 


Albus nodded. 


“Where did you find them?” Severus asked, picking up one of the finger-length domes. “How did you find them?”


“I do love getting you something that flusters you,” Albus said, amused. “Just be happy you have them. They are gifts.”


“Albus,” Severus said, grabbing hold of another one of the domes. “This is a Gloriosa Superba.”


“Yes,” Albus acknowledged. “I’m sure, with the help of Pomona, you’ll be able to recreate the perfect conditions to produce more of those Flaming Lilies.” 


“Albus, I’m not sure you understand,” Severus said with wonder in his voice.


“I understand perfectly,” Albus said. “And I’m happy I can still get you things that get you giddy.”


Severus was taken aback. “I am not giddy,” he growled. 


“No,” Albus said, laughing. “Never.” Getting up, Albus said, “I would love to stay longer, but it is getting close to supper time, and I promised Minerva we would have a quiet night.”


Realizing the time, Severus sobered. Harry should have been back by now. 


There was a knock at the door. Severus and Albus walked toward the door. 


“I would think as often as young Harry’s been here, you would have keyed him to your chambers,” Albus said. 


“Didn’t you say you were leaving?” Severus snapped back, opening his door. “Harry–oh, Filius.”


Severus heard Albus chuckle alongside the whoosh of the flames, letting him know that the old coot had left. Slightly shaking his head before turning his attention to Filius.


“I got a message from family, and I’m leaving,” Filius said, handing over the broom. “I didn’t want to leave without giving you this. I’ve modified and added a few protection charms to the broom.” 


“Thank you, Filius,” Severus said. 


Severus watched as the Charm’s professor retreated down the corridor. Placing the broom upright by the door, Severus set out to find his godson. 


___000___000___000

Harry curled himself into a small ball on the other side of the door. The clicking of the dog’s paws was rapidly fading. He wanted his safety. He wished he didn’t ask to see Hedwig. He wished he had followed Professor Snape back to his chambers. 


Harry didn’t have to lift his head to know he was surrounded by darkness. He hated the darkness. He remembered being stuck in that large cupboard for punishment; he could feel things crawling on him. Harry later learned Uncle Vernon would put a sack of rats in the cupboard with him. The rats would chew through the sack's fabric and bite at him. Harry wasn’t afraid of rats, but he didn’t like the unknown.


A pop in front of the boy, causing Harry to shriek. 


“Master Harry.”


“T-Tami,” Harry stuttered. “I can’t see. Where are you?”


A snapping of fingers and a small light illuminated the room. A shriek echoed throughout the room. 


“Don’t cry, Master Harry,” Tami soothed.


“I want my safety,” Harry whispered. His head was on his arms that were wrapped around his knees. 


“Tami will get Master Sev’us,” Tami said. “Tami will help.”


Before Tami could pop away, Harry cried out, “No! Don’t leave me. I don’t want to be alone.”


Tami began to wring her hands. She didn’t know what to do. She knew young Harry wanted Master Sev’us but couldn’t get him if she stayed in the room. 


“Young Master,” Tami tried to soothe. “I’s won’t be long. I’s promise. Master Sev’us will be here.”


Harry nodded and lowered his head in his arms, wrapped around his knees.


___000___000___000

When Severus reached the second floor, he turned down the corridor that led to the second set of stairs, heading towards the owlery. He was stopped by Tami popping in front of him. 


“Master Sev’us. Master Sev’us,” Tami called out as she popped in front of the Potions Master. “It’s Master Harry.”


Severus stopped in front of his house elf. “What about Harry? Where is he?”


“He scared. He hiding.”


“Take me to him,” Severus ordered. 


Tami led the way down the corridor to where Harry was hiding. When they got to the door, she snapped her fingers, and the door made a clicking sound and cracked open. 


Severus walked past the elf and into the small entryway of the door. 


“Harry,” he called out. 


Severus could see around the barren room with the dim light that illuminated it. He couldn’t see Harry immediately but recognized the small child’s whimpers. As Severus got further into the room, he could begin to hear what Harry was mumbling. 


“You’re nothing. You’re a freak. No one will ever love you. You’re a burden. A waste of space. I’m sorry, Uncle Vernon. Please let me out. I’ll be good.”


“Harry,” Severus called out again softly.


The small child flinched at hearing his name. It took a second for the voice to filter into the haze of fear he cocooned himself in. When Harry recognized his safety, he lifted his head.


“Professor,” Harry whimpered.


Severus only had a moment before a small body collided with him. Severus lifted the child in his arms. Instantly, Severus felt his godson’s arms and legs wrap around his body. He slowly rubbed the child’s back as he left the room.


___000___000___000

Severus walked to his winged-back chair when he got back to his chambers. Harry was still in his arms. When he sat down, the flames flashed green for a second, allowing a folded parchment to come through and land on his side table. Severus situated Harry so he was sitting on his lap with the child’s head leaning on his shoulder. Severus needed to talk to the child but didn’t want to upset the boy more by asking him to move back.


Severus was happy that Harry accepted his movement. The child just laid his head on Severus’ shoulder.


Severus looked down at the small child’s face and saw that he was crying, so he conjured a warm flannel, removed Harry’s glasses, and wiped his face. 


Harry didn’t react to the treatment. He just stared into the fire. Being in his safety’s arms and watching the flames calmed the child. The lonely feeling of despair was fading. He curled his body so he was leaning into Severus’ chest. He let a deep sigh out when he felt his safety’s arms tighten around him. 


“Harry,” Severus said softly.


“Hmm.” Harry poked and prodded at one of the buttons on Severus’ coat. 


“Can you tell me what happened?” Severus asked. 


Harry’s hand stilled over the button, and his fingers still around it.


“I’m right here,” Severus soothed, rubbing his hand up and down Harry’s back. “You’re safe.”


“I know,” Harry whispered. “Always when I’m with you.”


Severus cleared his throat. He didn’t know how he felt about that statement but didn’t respond. Not that Harry was looking for a response.


Severus decided to go a different route to get some answers. “You told me you wanted to see Hedwig.”


Harry nodded. 


“Did you?”


Harry shook his head.


“What happened? Why didn’t you get there?”  


Harry heaved a big sigh and sat up a little to look at his Professor.


“I was headed to the owlery like I said. I ran into Professor Quirrell. I try and stay away from him. He scares me.” A chill racked Harry’s body, causing the child to lean against his Professor’s chest.


“What happened next?” Severus asked. 


“There was this dog,” Harry said. 


“A dog? Fang?” 


“No,” Harry answered. “It wasn’t Fang. This dog was sickly looking. It had yellow teeth.”


“Did it try to come after you?”


“I don’t know,” Harry shrugged his shoulders. “I ran. I don’t like dogs that much.”


Severus’ brow furrowed at that last statement.


“You don’t like dogs?” Severus questioned. “You are aware that behemoth you like to wrestle around with is, in fact, a dog.”


“Well, Fang is different,” Harry said, returning to bother Severus’ coat button again. “Fang’s my friend.”


Severus had been teaching at Hogwarts for nineteen years. He learned long ago trying to rationalize a child’s way of thinking would only give you a headache.


“You said you ran into Professor Quirrell?” Severus asked, getting the topic off the dog.


“Yeah,” Harry agreed, shuddering again.


“Does Quirrell bother you?” Severus asked. 


“He seems weird,” Harry explained. “He’s creepy. I try to stay away from him. He smells of garlic. It makes my stomach hurt. And sometimes my head hurts,” Harry pointed to his scar, “here.”


Severus did not like what he was hearing. He’s been apprehensive about Quirrell for a while, but things were beginning to point more and more to the Defense professor.


Not wanting to worry Harry about his thoughts, Severus decided to end this line of questioning. That didn’t mean he wasn’t going to Albus with this new information. He already wanted Quirrell gone for sending Harry out in the forest as a form of punishment, but adding this to it just didn’t seem kosher. 


“It’s getting late,” Severus announced. “Why don’t you go wash, and we’ll have some supper.”


Harry thought about the idea of leaving his safety, but he wasn’t feeling the cold dread that iced his insides like he did when he was trapped in the room. So, he figured it would be alright. He slid off his Godfather’s lap and headed back to the bathroom.


Severus rubbed his face before reaching over and retrieving the parchment that came through the fire earlier. 


+0+0+0

Severus and Harry were sitting at the table, eating in comfortable silence. Harry took his potions before he started eating. And Severus was pleased that although Harry’s portions were still under average, Harry was eating more. 


When dessert came, Severus said, “The Weasleys have asked if you wanted to come over for boxing day. Mrs. Weasley said she was planning a day of games and preparing a huge meal. Would you like to go?”


Harry lowered his hands to his lap. He didn’t know how he really felt about that. He would love to see Ron and his brothers. He wouldn’t mind seeing Ginny again. He’d love to play another pick-up game of Quidditch. But he didn’t want to be away from his safety either.


“Are you going too?” Harry asked. 


Severus, once again, was shocked by the question. It still confounded him that this child wanted to spend so much time with the most hated professor.


“I have a meeting with the Headmaster tomorrow,” Severus said. “I will drop you off and pick you up.”


Harry thought about that momentarily, finally saying, “Okay.” 


Severus nodded, and the two finished their dessert in comfortable silence once more. 


After confirming Harry’s attendance with the Weasleys and arrival and departure time, Severus sent Harry off to shower and get ready for bed. Severus sat in his chair. There was a forgotten tumbler of amber liquid on his side table. His eyes were clothes as he meditated on everything that occurred. He was disturbed by a shuffling of sock-clad feet. 


Severus opened his eyes and saw Harry in his pajamas, twisting his fingers and biting his lip. Waving the child over, Severus waited until Harry was close enough before stopping the child’s torture of his fingers and lip. 


“Yes, Harry,” Severus said. 


“Uh, can you,” Harry hesitated. 


“Mr. Potter, kindly ask your question,” Severus said, though not harshly.


“Can you tell me more about my mum?” Harry rushed out.


“I think,” Severus said, lifting Harry onto his lap. “That would be a wonderful way to end Christmas.”


Harry smiled as he curled into Severus. 


Severus accio’ed a quilt, wrapped it around the small child, and began telling Harry of the different things he and Lily did when they were home from Primary school.


Before Harry entered the sitting room, Severus pondered the thought of giving Harry a small dose of Dreamless Sleep. Severus didn’t want Harry to have nightmares from the stress of this evening. But giving Harry plenty of stories about Lily was a better dose of medicine than the potion. The small tumbler of amber liquid was forgotten as Severus spoke about his best friend, Lily.


TBC