Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm on a roll! I hope this trend will continue.

Chapter 24: A Conspiracy Unmasked

“If you’re telling the truth, and you didn’t betray Lily, then you have nothing to fear from this,” Severus said, sitting on the chair next to Sirius’ bed. 


“I’m not afraid of you, Snevillous,” Sirius growled. 


Before either Albus or Minerva could say anything, Severus used Legilimens on Sirius. The weaker man moaned in pain from the invasion. 


A kaleidoscope of images flew past Severus’ mind’s eye. Things from recent times and things from the past. After a long moment, Severus broke the connection between him and Sirius. 


Sirius collapsed unconscious. Poppy was by his side, lying him down so he was in a more comfortable position. 


Severus groaned as he lowered his head in his hands. He had a piercing headache. 


When Poppy finished with Sirius, knowing Severus’ subtle signs of him in pain, she retrieved a small phial of pain reliever for the Potions Master. 


Albus was beside his adopted son with his hand on Severus’ shoulder.


“What did you see, Severus?” Albus asked. 


“He’s telling the truth,” Severus groaned. “He wasn’t their secret keeper.”


Albus and Minerva were speechless. They looked at the sickly man lying on the bed. He was wrongly accused of something he didn’t do. 


“The addendum that was to be given to you,” Severus continued. 


“What about it?” Albus asked. 


“Black wrote it. At Potter’s behest,” Severus said, standing up. Severus swayed as he tried to catch his balance. 


Albus gripped his elbow to help keep Severus standing. 


“I have to go,” Severus announced. 


“Where are you going?” Minerva asked. 


“It’s almost time to pick up Harry,” Severus replied, stepping away from Albus. 


When Severus made it to his chambers, he walked over to the small table that housed the Firewhiskey. He needed a drink after everything he’d seen from Black’s mind. 


Things that haunted him from his past came roaring back after seeing what he just did. He had always wondered how Black, Potter, and Lupin got away with so much during their time at Hogwarts. Now, he knew. 


That infamous night when he had the run-in with Lupin. He learned the big secret of how they would sneak out and what he thought he imagined when he was attacked. 


Hearing the door to his chambers open, Severus knew Albus would come to see about him. 


“I’ll be alright, Headmaster,” Severus said without turning to face the elder wizard. 


“I know you will with time,” Albus said. “But I’m worried about now. I’m sure there were things that brought back painful memories.”


“One of the reasons I didn’t want to do that,” Severus growled, facing Albus. “You wanted to humiliate me again. See, all this time, they were just joking around, saying it didn’t matter what they did to me. As long as your precious Gryffindor’s–”  


Albus stood before Severus, gripping his adopted son’s shoulders. Giving him a slight shake to stop the Potions Master’s rant mid-sentence.


“Stop! Is that what you believed I did that night?” Albus asked. “There was more to that night than just Black’s prank.”


“You do not have to try and pacify me,” Severus growled, stepping away from Albus and starting to pace. “I’m no longer a naive child that needs coddling. Black and Potter could do no wrong in your eyes. I’ve known that for years. But now, looking into Black’s memories, I know it as truth.”


“Those boys were never treated any more special than you were,” Albus stated. 


“So, they were allowed to become animagi without repercussions,” Severus accused angrily. 


“What?” Albus’ brows furrowed.


“Don’t act like you didn’t know, old man,” Severus growled. “Potter and Black became animagi.”


“That’s not possible,” Albus said, stepping back. “Only one person in this castle is a registered animagus.”


“Well, they’re unregistered then,” Severus sighed. After a moment of silence between them, Severus realized something and then spoke again. “You really didn’t know?”


Albus sat down on the sofa. “No,” shaking his head, “I didn’t know. I guess I don’t know everything that happens within these walls.”


Severus’ anger deflated as he sat down in his chair. He didn’t want to bring up the past. It seemed to take him forever to get past it. He hated this feeling of vulnerability. It was years ago. 


“Severus,” Albus said softly. “I’ve only wanted to protect you. But it seems all I’ve ever done was hurt you more.”


“Albus, don’t,” Severus sighed, knowing where this was going. Severus didn’t need this now. He didn’t want this now or ever.


“I handled that night poorly,” Albus continued as if Severus didn’t say anything. “I never wanted you to feel that I was choosing sides. I was trying to protect a student to whom I had made a promise. And in doing so, I ostracized you.”


“Stop,” Severus said. “It’s in the past. It’s over. I’m over it. Leave it alone.” He didn’t want to deal with this. He needed to occlude and put all this behind the barriers in his mind. It never should have broken down. 


“But the thing is, it’s not,” Albus said. “I’m so sorry, Severus.” He knew what Severus was trying to do. He’d indulged him through the years. But not this time. There was more at stake than just Severus. There was also Harry to deal with. And if Severus was going to be the best he could with his godson, he had to deal with his past. “Don’t do this, Severus.”


“Do what?”


“Hide from this,” Albus said. “Close yourself off. You are hurting from this. I’m sorry I put you through this. You have every right to what you are feeling. And it is okay to feel these emotions. You are not weak by letting someone in.”


“Fine,” Severus snapped. “Can we leave this subject now? 


“For now,” Albus said.


_0_0_0

“You ready, Harry?” Charlie asked, kicking off the ground. 


Harry nodded as he also kicked off the ground. 


“Okay, you two,” Fred said. “On the count of three.”


Lunch happened without a hitch. The Weasley children and Harry were back out at the small Quidditch pitch. Bill and Charlie kept Harry occupied during lunch. Neither guy wanted to see Harry in the state he was in the last time he came over. The twins piped in as well. 


“Three,” Fred called out, tossing the practice Snitch in the air. 


Harry and Charlie took off after it. But unlike the first time they played, Fred, George, and Ron kicked off to the air. 


Bill was standing under one of the make-shift goalposts when a bit of parchment popped in front of him. He opened it and began to read it. 


Charlie whooped in excitement when Harry once again caught the snitch. 


“You are just too good,” Charlie praised. 


Harry couldn’t help the smile that spread across his face. He looked over at Ron, hoping he would also be happy. He didn’t like how things turned out when he was in Ron’s room. Would he forever be a Freak? He wanted to believe his Godfather when he said he wasn’t, but only Freaks lose their friends if they didn’t like what he liked.


Harry was brought out of his musing when he saw Charlie fly past him and land beside his brother. Harry and the others landed as well to see what the problem was. 


“I have to go,” Bill said when everyone stood around him.


“Now?” Charlie asked. “Why?”


“Somethings come up at Gringotts,” Bill said, walking towards the house. 


Charlie, Fred, George, Ron, and Harry stood and watched Bill jog back towards the house.    


“Come on,” Charlie said. “Let’s go inside. Maybe mum will have some hot chocolate to warm us up.” 


Charlie led the small group into the house. 


+0+0+0

Bill walked into Gringotts and headed straight to Griphook’s office. He walked in without knocking. They called him during his time off. Bill was not happy.


“This had better not be another addendum on the Potter’s estate,” Bill growled when he stepped before Griphook’s desk.


Griphook’s office was in the process of being rebuilt. After Griphook called Professors Dumbledore and Snape, and they brought Harry with them, Harry’s burst of magic significantly damaged his office. 


The large hole encompassing the entire wall behind his desk must be filled in again. And Griphook was no better. From what Bill heard and felt no sympathy for, the goblin had to spend a few days at St. Mungo’s. 


“We learned of the wizard that put the Unforgiveable on the elf. Once we could remove it and the Confundo charm, the elf could show us who cast those spells.” 


“And what did you learn?” Bill asked. 


“The wizard that cast those spells was Peter Pettigrew,” Griphook said.


“Wow,” Bill said, shaking his head. “You guys really screwed up. How is that even possible? Do you realize the backlash that will come from this when it comes out?”


“This cannot leave this office,” Griphook adamantly said. 


“You’re kidding, right?” Bill walked towards the door. He left, shaking his head. He knew he would have to let Professor Dumbledore know what he just learned.


_0_0_0

Albus walked into his chambers. A lot had happened within the past couple of hours. Things he thought he was certain about turned out to be false. Sirius was wrongfully imprisoned. He knew he would have to contact Amelia Bones before the day was out. But what worried him more was his son. He had to figure out how to make things right for Severus. 


Albus was pulled from his thoughts when the fireplace came to life with green flames.


“Professor Dumbledore.”


Albus recognized the eldest Weasley son’s voice and said, “Come through, Master Weasley.” 


Bill stepped through the flames and walked over to Albus’ desk. 


Looking at Bill’s face, Albus knew what he would be told would not be good. “How are you, Mr. Weasley? What can I do for you?”


“I’m sorry to come by unannounced,” Bill said. 


Albus waved off the apology, “No need. What can I help you with?”


“I was called to Gringotts and learned some interesting news.”


“Does this have anything to do with Harry?” Albus asked, waving his hand and sending out his Patronus. Albus figured that Minerva and Severus would also need to hear whatever he was about to hear.


Before Bill could answer, Minerva entered the office door, and Severus stepped through the fireplace's hearth. 


Severus had no idea what Albus could possibly want so soon after leaving his chambers. However, he was unprepared to see Bill Weasley in Albus’ office. His first thought went to his godson. 


“Mr. Weasley,” Severus greeted. “Is something wrong? Is it Harry?”


“Harry’s fine,” Bill reassured. “He was playing Quidditch with Charlie and the others when I left. No, this is something that came to my attention just now. I just learned Peter Pettigrew was the wizard that cursed the elf to hide the Potter’s Will.” 


_0_0_0

Harry sat at the table drinking the best hot chocolate he’d ever tasted. He was happy to know that he would get some as well, but couldn’t help his lonely feeling because he was the only one sitting at the table. When the others came to get their cups, they left Harry all alone. The warm chocolate felt good going down, but it didn’t soothe the ache in his chest. 


Mrs. Weasley didn’t treat him like his aunt did. She even gave him a kiss on his forehead before lunch. 


Harry looked over and saw Ron whispering with Fred, George, and Charlie. He wondered what they were talking about. Probably about him. Probably saying how much of a Freak he was. 


Harry almost dropped his mug when he felt a hand on his shoulder. 


“Heya, Harry.”


Harry looked back and saw Ron standing next to him. 


“Yeah,” Harry said. 


“I’m sorry for how I’ve been acting,” Ron said. 


That surprised Harry. What did Ron feel sorry for? 


“I’m still your friend, right?” Ron asked. 


Harry was so dumbstruck by the apology that he could only nod his reply. Ron still wanted to be friends. Didn’t Ron know what kind of Freak he was? Harry was a Freak. He wasn’t supposed to have friends. But Ron still wanted to be his friend.


“But I’m a Freak,” Harry said once he got his voice.


“No! You’re not!” Ron yelled.


Charlie walked into the kitchen when he heard his little brother yell. 


“What’s going on?” Charlie asked, walking into the kitchen and sitting next to Harry.


“I’m sorry,” Harry said, misreading why Ron was yelling. “I can’t seem to do anything right. You don’t have to be my friend anymore. I understand.”


Fred and George walked into the kitchen when they heard what was being said. 


“Oi, Harry,” George said.


“We’ll always be your friend,” Fred continued. 


The twins sat across from Harry. 


“But…” Harry started


“No buts,” Ron said adamantly. “You’re my best friend.”


“I’m just a Freak,” Harry said, trying to plead with the red-headed group. 


“No, Harry,” Charlie said softly. He could see Harry was on the verge of panicking, and he didn’t want that to happen. So, the Dragon trainer decided to take a different approach. He maneuvered Harry’s chair so that they were facing each other. “Harry, I want you to listen to me. I’ve only known you for a few days. And from what I’ve seen, you are a very bright, caring boy. You’re an amazing Quidditch player. I don’t know who told you you were a freak, but they are wrong. It takes a special kind of person to be able to catch a rememberall on his first time flying. You’re a better Seeker than me.”


“And that’s saying a lot,” Ron chimed in. “Charlie’s the best.”


Harry looked at Ron and then back at Charlie.


Charlie reached into his pocket and pulled out a small object. 


“Oh, wow!” the twins said simultaneously, guessing what Charlie had in his hand.


“During,” Charlie continued, “my time at Hogwarts, Professor McGonagall set it up that I would play in a Quidditch tournament. I’m not sure if they still have them. But I played for the England Charters. Seeker, of course. Anyway, my team was able to make it to the Nationals. It was a big deal. My team won seven out of nine games. We ranked second place. This,” showing Harry the small Snitch in his hand, “I won for being the MVP Seeker.”


“Nobody could beat Charlie,” Ron said proudly. “He caught the Snitch every game. Only the other players were able to score more points and win the game.”


“I received this for being the best Seeker out of fifty other teams,” Charlie continued. “But, there is something special with you. You were able to beat me. And on my own turf. That’s a great accomplishment. So, I’m passing the torch, per se.” Charlie reached out and handed the Snitch to Harry.


“Wicked!”


“That’s awesome!”


“Way to go, Harry,” Ron praised. 


“What’s happening in here?” Molly asked, coming into the kitchen.


Charlie stood up, ruffling Harry’s hair before leaving the kitchen. He kissed his mum on the cheek before walking away.


Harry was in awe. He didn’t know what to say. He was given an important present. Harry gripped the small ball. It was smaller than a regular Snitch. The wings were out permanently. Harry slowly ran his finger over the ridges of the wings. 


“Hail to the Seeker king!” Fred and George chanted over and over. 


Harry couldn’t help but laugh. He really loved the Weasleys. The twins made him smile. Ron said he still wanted to be his friend. Harry hoped that was true. He really didn’t want to lose Ron as a friend.


Harry was brought out of his thoughts when he heard the floo going off. He couldn’t help the grin on his face. His safety had come back for him. He got up from the table and rushed out to the living room. 


His smile faltered when he saw that it was Bill stepping out of the fireplace. Where was his safety? He promised that he would come back. He really was-


Harry’s depressing thoughts stopped when the green flames flared again, and the tall man dressed in black stepped through the fireplace.


This time, a huge grin split Harry’s face as he ran into his safety’s arms.


Severus had to take a step back, recovering from the impact Harry made when he collided with him. At first, Severus was worried that something was wrong, but that feeling soon changed when he heard Harry mumbling in his robes. Severus looked over at Bill, who had a smirk on his face, realizing that he could hear what Harry was saying.


Severus leaned down to Harry’s ear and whispered, “Don’t I always keep my promises?”


It was hard for Severus to keep from smiling at the warm feeling of having Harry back in his arms. Knowing that Harry chose him. Despite his past or reputation, Harry wanted to be with him. 


“Professor Snape,” Molly greeted. 


“Mrs. Weasley,” Severus replied, acknowledging the matriarch of the family. “Thank you for keeping Harry.”


“The pleasure was all ours,” Molly said, then called to the small child. 


Harry turned to look at Mrs. Weasley. He saw that she had her arms open. Harry looked up at his safety and released him. The boy approached Mrs. Weasley slower than he did towards the Professor.


“I had a wonderful time, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry said quietly. 


Molly pulled Harry into a hug, squeezing tightly. She whispered in his ear, “You are so loved, Harry. I’m happy you had fun, and I hope you will come back again.”


“I can come back?” Harry asked, looking up at the Weasley matriarch.


Molly, cupping Harry’s face, kissed his forehead. “Of course, you can. Anytime.”


Harry smiled at Mrs. Weasley and hugged her again before walking back towards Professor Snape so they could leave.


_0_0_0

Severus and Harry walked into Severus’ chambers. Harry was so happy to be back. He went to his room to change and get ready for dinner. 


After what happened earlier, Severus was glad to have his godson back with him. Just being with the child soothed his hurt from the past. 


Severus was sitting at the table when Harry returned. The child’s hair was damp from the child washing his face. Severus didn’t say anything. He’d approached the child after grabbing a towel and drying Harry’s hair.


“After spending so much time in the winter cold, I would think you would dry your hair properly so you wouldn’t catch cold.”


Harry didn’t reply. He loved being taken care of. It was something he didn’t have before. And he was going to grasp at as much care as he could. 


“Sit down,” Severus said, patting Harry’s bottom and steering him towards the table. “Time to eat.”


_0_0_0

The next morning, Harry was walking up the Grand Staircase. Professor Snape was in his lab, and Harry wanted to try to see Hedwig again. He wanted to see her on Christmas. With the promise of coming straight back before lunch, Harry made his way up to the owlery. 


Harry got to the second floor, where the corridor connected from the main tower to the tower that housed the owlery. Harry stood at the end of the corridor, remembering what happened the last time he was there. 


A quiet pop sounded next to Harry. When the child looked over, he saw Tami standing next to him. 


“Heya, Tami,” Harry greeted, smiling. 


“Master Harry, okay?” Tami asked. “Master Sev’us wanted Tami to make sure you got to the owls.” 


Harry couldn’t keep the smile off his face. His safety would always be there for him. The child nodded, and the two of them went to the owlery. 


Harry got to the owlery and saw Hedwig dozing on one of the perches. Harry thought about letting his owl sleep, but that thought didn’t work because, as if Hedwig could sense it, she woke up. 


Tami left while Harry stayed with Hedwig. Harry saw Tami leave but didn’t pay it much mind. He had so much he wanted to share with his secret keeper. 


“Look what I got, Hedwig,” Harry said, showing the owl the small golden Snitch he got from Charlie. “I had so much fun with Ron and the Twins. I got to meet Ron’s older brothers. They’re a lot of fun.” Harry continued to talk to Hedwig while absentmindedly rubbing his fingers over her feathers. 


“Why hello, young Harry.”


Harry turned to see the Headmaster standing in the doorway. 


“Hey, Professor,” Harry said, smiling. “I was talking to Hedwig. She listens to all my stories.”


“Yes,” Albus said, walking over to another owl and tying his missive on the owl’s leg. “I have to agree; owls make one of the best listeners.” 


Harry watched as Professor Dumbledore whispered to the owl and watched as the owl flew out of the owlery. Harry kept his eyes on the fleeting owl until he couldn’t see it anymore. 


“Well, young Harry,” Albus said, getting Harry’s attention. “Let’s not stay up here too long. It’s rather chilly up here, and you don’t have nearly enough clothes on.”


“Yes, sir,” Harry replied, giving Hedwig one more pet. 


“Don’t want Severus to worry,” Albus whispered, placing his hand on Harry’s shoulder, escorting the child out of the owlery. 


Albus and Harry were walking down the stairs when a missive popped in front of them. Albus reached for it, reading its contents. 


“Well, Harry,” Albus said. “I must leave you. Maybe one day you can come to visit me. We can have hot chocolate together. There are a few things I would like to show you.”


“Wicked,” Harry said. His first time having hot chocolate was while he was with the Weasleys. Knowing that he would have some more soon made Harry ecstatic. 


“Wonderful,” Albus said. “I must leave you.” Albus walked off down the corridor.


“Bye, Professor,” Harry called out as he watched Professor Dumbledore disappear down the corridor. 


Harry continued on his trek back down to the dungeons. If his safety was still in his lab, maybe Harry could help.


Harry fell when he got to the last few steps leading to the Great Hall. He landed hard on his hands and knees. His glasses fell off his face from the force of his impact. Harry reached for his glasses as he sat back on his heels. He looked at his hands and saw the scrapped skin. His knees hurt from the impact as well. 


Harry crawled the short distance to pull his pant legs up and look at his knees. The child winced when the fabric rubbed against the bruised skin. He wasn’t bleeding, but it did hurt. Harry put his pants back to right and looked back up the stairs. He was alone on the stairs, but it felt like someone had pushed him. What happened before made Harry want to hurry and get to his safety much quicker.


Harry stood up. His knees hurt as he tried to walk. His hands stung. He was heading to the last set of steps when he saw the main doors open. 


“You little Freak!”


Harry knew that voice. That voice wasn’t supposed to be here. Why was he here? 


Harry watched as his Uncle Vernon walked across the threshold. Harry was frozen in fear as he watched his uncle stomp towards him. His uncle had a leather strap gripped in his fat fist. A small squeak escaped Harry’s lips when he felt his uncle’s meaty hand grip the back of his neck and force him towards the door.


“No,” Harry squeaked softly. It may have been several months since he was face-to-face with his uncle. It didn’t mean that he forgot his rules.   


“Shut up, boy! How dare you defy me,” Vernon growled. “What makes you think you’re better?” He turned Harry to the side and brought the strap down harshly on the child’s back and bottom. 


Harry couldn’t hold back his shriek of pain. Reflexively, Harry tried to pull from his uncle’s grip. The small child got three more strikes from his struggle. Harry cried out because these ones were harder than the previous two he received just moments before. 


“How dare you, you freak,” Vernon growled. “Just wait until I get you back home.”


“No,” Harry whined as tears streamed down his cheeks. 


“Your closet is waiting for you,” Vernon growled. “You’ll stay in there for a week.”


When Vernon tried to hit Harry again, Harry broke free from his uncle’s grip and took off down the path away from the castle. 


“Get back here, you freak!” Vernon yelled. “No one will ever love you! You’re nothing but a waste of space.” He watched as the small child ran from the castle towards the forest.


A cloaked figure stepped out from the shadows, waving his wand, and said, “Riddikulus.” He stood at the entrance for a second before turning and heading back inside.


The tears flowed continuously as Harry ran from his uncle’s tirade. Harry ran and ran. Not caring where he was going. He just needed to get away from his uncle. The boy didn’t stop until it felt like his lungs would burst. He looked around and saw he had to be in the forest. He leaned against one of the trees, trying to catch his breath. 


Harry didn’t hear his uncle coming after him. He slid down on the ground, pulling his knees to his chest. Now that he could catch his breath, Harry realized it was beginning to snow, and he didn’t have the winter clothes Professor Snape had bought him. 


He really was a Freak, Harry thought as the tears continued to flow. He was a Freak. 


He tried to conserve his heat by bringing his arms in his sleeves to wrap them around his body. Something he learned while he was growing up. One of his many punishments was being locked outside when it was cold. At least he had a jumper on instead of one of Dudley’s old clothes. He pulled his collar up so it covered the bottom of his head. 


_0_0_0

Severus walked out of his lab. It was getting close to lunchtime. When he left Harry, the child asked if he could visit Hedwig. Severus was wary about the child leaving, but he didn’t want Harry to feel that he was stuck in his chambers. So the Potions Master granted the child permission with the understanding that he’d be back by lunchtime. 


Giving his promise, Harry gave him a hug and rushed towards the door. Severus stopped Harry before he left, stating that he could come into the lab to help if he wanted. Harry smiled and nodded before leaving Severus’ chambers. 


“Harry,” Severus called out, walking to Harry’s room. When he saw it was empty, he called out, “Tami.”


Tami popped in front of the Potions Master. “Yes, Master Sev’us.”


“Did Harry make it to the owlery alright?” Severus asked.


“Yes, Master Sev’us,” Tami said, smiling. “I walked with Master Harry. Tami had to leave, but Master Headmaster came after me.”


Harry must be with the old coot, Severus thought. 


“Thank you, Tami.” Severus walked out of his chambers. He headed up to his adoptive dad’s office.


Severus made it to the seventh floor when he saw Minerva walking towards him.


“Well, Severus,” Minerva said, smirking. “I wouldn’t have expected to see you alone. I would have thought you would have Harry trailing behind you.”


“I do not have time for your quips, you old cat,” Severus snarled. “I’m heading to Albus. I’m sure he’s filled Harry with a lot of sweets.”


Minerva’s brow furrowed. All jovialness left the Transfiguration professor. “Severus, Albus isn’t here. He went to see Amelia Bones.”


The bottom dropped out of Severus’ stomach. Not wanting to overreact, Severus left Minerva standing in the corridor and headed towards the owlery. He was so focused on finding his godson he didn’t notice that Minerva was following him.


When the two Professors reached the owlery, they realized quickly that Harry was not there. They saw Hedwig, Harry’s owl, sleeping on one of the perches. Anger boiled in Severus’ gut. Where was his godson? 


“Tami!” Severus roared. 


Tami popped in front of Severus and Minerva. “Yes, Master Sev’us.”


“Find Harry,” Severus growled.


Severus’ voice woke up the snowy owl. When the owl heard the command, she flew out of the owlery as if she understood the tension. 


+0+0+0

Hagrid was outside gathering a batch of dead ferrets so he could feed his two hippogriffs, Bradford and Buckbeak. Fang was lying on the top step of the half-giant’s cabin. 


Hedwig’s cry sounded above the cabin, rousing Fang. With a booming bark, the dog looked up, ran off the steps, and rushed into the Forbidden Forest.     

  

_0_0_0

It was colder than Harry remembered. He didn’t know how long he’d been sitting at the tree's base. He was getting tired, and his head was beginning to hurt. He didn’t know how long Uncle Vernon would leave him outside. Harry hoped it would be soon. Even though he hated his cupboard, it was warm. 


Rustling alerted the small child. Harry tried to stand. He was stiff; he couldn’t feel his fingertips despite keeping them close to his body. Not having proper blood flow in his legs, Harry fell back on the ground, hurting his knees again; when he tried to take a step, his hands were trapped within his sweater. Harry couldn’t catch himself and hit the side of his face on the ground, knocking his glasses off of his face. Tears stung the back of his eyes as he put his arms back through the sleeves. His body racked with shivers when his arms slid through the cold fabric. He was such a Freak. As the rustling got louder, Harry resigned himself to whatever would happen. 


The next thing Harry felt was a warm, wet tongue slide up the side of his head. Harry looked up and saw Fang standing next to him. A broken cry escaped the small child’s mouth when he felt Fang's warm breath on his face.


Fang moved his head in order to help Harry maneuver, but Harry was too stiff and cold to move. Heaving a big sigh, the Nepoleon Mastiff pushed Harry away from the tree and sat behind the small child. Fang then curled around Harry so the dog’s head and paws were over the small boy’s lap.


The warmth from Fang’s fur and body heat was a much-needed comfort for Harry. Feeling warmth for the first time brought tears to Harry’s eyes. Harry buried his face in Fang’s fur and started to weep.


+0+0+0

“Fang!” Hagrid called out when he saw his dog rush into the forest. 


The ferrets forgotten, Hagrid rushed into his cabin, grabbing his crossbow. He ran out of his cabin and headed towards the forest. 


“Fang, get back here,” Hagrid ordered as he ran after his dog. This was not like his dog. Fang was usually a rather lazy dog. There weren’t many, if any, things that roused the dog. So it was very strange for Fang to run off like that.


As Hagrid ran past trees and brush, he heard an owl squawk. When he looked up, he saw Hedwig, the gift he gave Harry, flying low amongst the trees. 


Fang acting strangely. 


Hedwig flying around. 


Hagrid’s heart dropped. It could only mean one thing: Harry.


Hagrid realized the reason behind Fang’s behavior was Harry. The half-giant took off in a run, following the trail Hedwig was traveling. It didn’t take long after to reach his destination. The half-giant saw Fang curled against a tree. Hagrid lowered his crossbow, laying it against the tree. He took off his coat, wrapping it around the small boy. The woolen coat seemed to swallow the child. Hanging his crossbow over his shoulder, Hagrid picked up his small bundle. And just like it was ten years ago, Hagrid carried Harry out of danger. Fang followed. 


_0_0_0       

Albus stepped out of the fireplace at the MLE office, heading towards Amelia Bones’ office. With everything that has come to light since the last time he met with the head of the MLE, Albus knew he would have to update her.


Albus hated having to disrupt her Christmas, but with everything he had to tell her, this couldn’t wait. 


Amelia was standing in her office doorway when Albus approached her. “I didn’t expect to hear from you again so soon,” Amelia said when she allowed Albus entry to her office. 


Amelia sat down behind her desk and knew from the look she was receiving from Albus that what she was about to hear would not be good news. 


“Your message said it was urgent,” Amelia prompted. 


“Yes, my dear,” Albus said. “Very important.”


Albus began to regale Amelia with everything that had come to light since he removed Sirius Black from Azkaban.


“This is not good,” Amelia said once Albus finished talking.


“I wanted to let you know,” Albus said. “I’m not sure what can be done. My next stop will be Cornelius.”


“Telling the Minister will be problematic,” Amelia said. “You took Sirius out of Azkaban without his knowledge.”


A serine smile came across Albus’ face. “Don’t worry yourself about him. I’ll take care of it. I need you to start the preceding for a trial for Sirius Black. This is going to upend a lot of people. And if Cornelius wants to be on the right side, he won’t be a problem.” Albus stood and headed towards the door. 


“Oh, also, before I forget,” Alubs continued. “Please start an investigation on Gringotts.”


“Gringotts?”


“Exactly,” Albus said firmly. “A lot of this could have been avoided if they’d done what was supposed to have been done. They have a lot to answer for.”


Albus stepped out of Amelia’s office when another missive appeared before him. As he read the note, Albus’ usual twinkle left his eyes as the color drained from his cheeks. Instead of leaving by floo, Albus apparated from the building. 


_0_0_0

Tami popped in front of Severus and Minerva, pulling on her ears. “I’m sorry, Master Sev’us,” she cried.


“Where’s Harry?” Severus growled. 


“Severus, calm down,” Minerva pleaded. 


“Master Harry’s not in the castle,” Tami cried.


Minerva felt the temperature drop around them. She knew how powerful Severus was. She needed to calm the young Professor, so she turned to face Severus. She cupped Severus’ face in her hand, trying to get the Potions Master’s attention, calling his name. The man stared blankly as if he was seeing right through her. Minerva had only seen Severus like this only one time before. She hoped the missive she sent to Albus would reach him soon.   


A rush of blood seemed to roar in Severus’ ears. He couldn’t hear anything else. He could see Minerva standing before him, talking, but no sound was coming from her mouth. 


Harry was missing. How could this happen? With everything that’s happened in the past two days, Severus forgot about the possible threat to his godson. How could he have Harry unprotected? He promised the child that he would keep him safe. He will find his godson and get to the bottom of this. 


He felt himself jerking back and forth and realized that Minerva was standing before him, slightly shaking him. The muffled sounds began to clear, and once again, Severus could hear Minerva calling his name. 


“Come back, Severus,” Minerva cooed. “We’ll find Harry. I’m sure he’s around here somewhere.”


Severus blinked a few times as if he was clearing the cobwebs in his brain.  A thought popped into Severus’ mind in the litany of things Minerva kept saying repeatedly. Hagrid. 


“Hagrid,” Severus said, backing away from Minerva. 


Severus and Minerva headed for the main entrance. Before they could open the door, Albus popped in front of them. 


“What happened?” Albus asked.


“Harry’s missing,” Severus answered as he passed his dad. 


Albus was about to ask how it happened when they saw Hagrid running full force towards the castle. Fang was keeping pace beside him. 


“Professor Dumbledore, Professor Snape, it’s Harry,” Hagrid cried out. 


Severus could see Hagrid cradling something. The closer Hagrid came, the more Seveurs could make out it was Hagrid’s coat. When he heard the half-giant say Harry’s name, Severus ran toward the half-giant.


When Severus reached Hagrid, he reached out to take his godson. “What happened?”


“I found him in the forest,” Hagrid said, placing the small child in Severus’ arms. 


It was cumbersome since Harry was wrapped in Hagrid’s coat, but Severus didn’t want to expose Harry back into the freezing air.