Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

In honor of Severus Snape's birthday!

Chapter 25: Oh, So Cold!

“Severus,” Albus said when standing beside Severus and Hagrid. “We need to get Harry to the Infirmary.”


“That will be a no,” Severus sneered. With the small bundle in his arms, Severus went to the stairs that led to the dungeons. “Get Poppy and floo to my chambers.”


So focused on getting to his chambers so he could get a good look at his godson, he didn’t realize that he had more company than he thought. He figured Albus and Minerva would follow him, and for once, he didn’t mind them coming. But it was the dog that surprised him.


+0+0+0

When Poppy stepped out of the floo, she was shocked at what she saw. Severus was sitting on the edge of the sofa. Harry was lying on the sofa, still wrapped in Hagrid’s woolen coat. Her biggest shock was that Hagrid’s dog Fang was lying on the floor by Severus’ feet. 


Poppy gave Severus a questioning look.


“The behemoth won’t leave,” Severus growled. 


“Let me get over there,” Poppy said, walking over to the sofa. 


Severus stood up, and after giving Harry another look, he walked over to his chair and sat down. 


Albus approached his adopted son and put his hand on Severus’ shoulder. “Harry will be alright,” Albus soothed. 


“What was he doing out there?” Severus quietly growled. “No coat. No hat.”


“That’s something we can ask when young Harry wakes up,” Albus soothed. “Right now, let’s find out how he is.”


Severus sat and watched as Poppy ran a diagnostic over his godson. Shaking his head, the same thought of Harry giving him grey hair before the end of term seemed to become a reality. 


“Severus,” Poppy said urgently. “Come here.”


Bringing Severus out of his musing, the Potions Master rushed the small distance towards Harry. 


“What is it?” Severus asked. 


“There’s something blocking my diagnosis charm,” Poppy said. “I can’t get a reading on what’s going on.”


Severus and Albus looked at each other in alarm. 


“Son,” Albus said, standing next to Severus, “see if you can detect another magical signature.”


Poppy tried to move so she could give Severus room. But she tripped on Fang’s massive paw. Both Severus and Albus caught the medi-witch. 


“Blasted dog,” Severus growled at the dog. “Why are you still here? Get out of the way.”


Fang lifted his head to look at the small child on the sofa before laying his head back on his paws and giving a big, deep sigh.


Severus shook his head in annoyance. He maneuvered his feet so he didn’t have his ankles at a weird angle. Severus sat beside Harry and waved his hand down his godson’s body. 


Severus remembered how the mysterious magical signature was while he was trying to control Harry’s broom during the first Quidditch match. There were small amounts of the same signature on the bludger and Mr. Longbottom. Then, his attention went back to the dog lying next to him. His heart dropped as anger boiled in him. They were all the same. All of them were the same. And now, feeling a very strong signature, Severus could now place who’s been trying to hurt Harry. 


Albus could see the rage on Severus’ face. “Severus, what did you see?”


“I know who’s doing this,” Severus growled. “I told you to handle this. You didn’t.” Severus stood up and went to the door. “Now, it’s my turn.”


_0_0_0   

Quirrell walked around his office, gathering a few things. He was in search of a special item. A contact messaged him, informing him they had heard about the precious stone, which had last been heard in France. Now that things were taken care of here and there was another week before the children returned, he should be able to make the trip. 


Once he gathered the last of the supplies he would need on his trek, Quirinus packed for a couple of days, shrinking his belongings, and left his chambers. 


Quirrell walked down the corridor from his chambers when he was forced back against the wall. Dazed from the abrupt movement, it took a moment for Quirrell’s vision to clear. When it did, he found he was face-to-face with an irate Potions Master. 


“S-severus,” Quirrell stuttered. “W-what’s g-going on?”


“You think I don’t know what you’ve been doing,” Severus growled. “I know it was you.”


“W-what ever do you m-m-mean?” Quirrell squeaked. “I’ve done nothing.”


Severus gripped Quirinus’ lapels and brought the man close to where they were nose-to-nose. “Don’t lie to me,” Severus said through clenched teeth. “Every time something happens, it always comes back to you.”


“Let’s not do this now.”


Quirrell looked over to the other voice in the corridor. 


Severus kept his gaze on Quirrell. He didn’t care if Albus was there or not. Severus would keep his promise to his godson, and if it meant dealing with this sorry excuse of a wizard, then so be it. 


“Severus,” Albus said, standing next to his son, “violence isn’t going to change anything.” He put his hand on Severus’ shoulder. “Let him go.”


Severus’ only response was quirking his eyebrow. Now that he had this vermin in his grasp, he would not let him slip through his fingers. 


Severus slammed Quirrell back against the wall. He felt Albus’ grip tighten on his shoulder. Deep down, he didn’t care. Quirrell cursed Harry. He was the reason Harry almost fell off his broom. He was the one who cursed the bludger almost to crack Harry’s skull. 


Severus could see the fear in the man’s eyes, the slight tremor coursing through the man’s body. Severus couldn’t help the morbid satisfaction of his power over Quirrell. But for what he wanted to do, he couldn’t have witnesses. There would be another time.


“We will have another talk,” Severus crooned, “on where your loyalty lies.” Severus let go of Quirrell’s clothes. “And next time, Albus won’t be able to save you or stop me.”


Severus took a step back, glaring at the Defense Professor.


Not wanting to be close to Severus, Quirinus slid across the wall to escape, his eyes going from the Headmaster to Severus. He couldn’t help the chill that coursed through his veins from the look Severus was giving him. 


Albus and Severus watched as Quirinus all but ran down the corridor, trying to get as far away from Severus as fast as he could.


“Not so fast, Quirinus,” Albus called out, stepping away from Severus. 


“I-I must g-go, Headmaster,” Quirrell said. 


“It will only be a moment,” Albus insisted. “Walk with me.”


Quirrell stood in that one spot for a moment. He was aware in order for him to get to the Headmaster’s office, he would have to pass Severus. 


Albus went to his adopted son and whispered in his ear, “I will deal with this. Go to Harry.”


Severus looked at Albus, turned, and headed back towards his chambers. As much as he wanted to deal with Quirrell, he knew he had to be with Harry. 


~~~_)

Albus and Minerva watched as Severus escorted Harry towards the Infirmary. The Headmaster and Headmistress looked at each other silently before Albus spoke again.


“Once you take care of this mess, Quirinus, I’ll see you in my chambers.”


“Y–yes, Headmaster,” Quirrell said. 


+0+0+0

Albus and Minerva were sitting by Albus’ desk, drinking tea, when Quirrell came in. 


“Ah, my boy,” Albus said, holding out his hand and offering the chair next to Minerva. “Have a seat. Care for some tea?”


“No, thank you, Headmaster,” Quirrell said, sitting down.


“Well,” Minerva started, “a very interesting night, wouldn’t you say?”


“Yes,” Quirrell responded. “What is it that you…”


“Quirinus,” Albus cut off Quirrell’s question. “What were you doing when the troll came into the school? Trolls usually don’t come around stone buildings unless something lures them.”


“I was—”


“Obviously,” Albus continued, “with the exclusion of Harry, everyone besides you was in the Great Hall, enjoying the Halloween festivities.”


This time, Quirrell didn’t speak.


“One would assume you lured the troll into the castle to harm the students.”


“But as you stated,” Quirinus spoke. “I was not the only one who wasn’t in the Great Hall.”


“Dear me,” Minerva spoke up. “You cannot be serious in believing that Mr. Potter lured in a troll?”


“That would be impossible,” Albus said. “The portraits stated that Harry was sitting on a windowsill looking at the stars. While we were waiting for you to arrive, the knight Percival informed me that he and Harry talked, and young Harry confided in him that he didn’t want to celebrate knowing his parents died on this day.” Albus placed his teacup on his desk and sat back in his chair. “I don’t want to believe that a professor of mine would knowingly and willingly cause harm to my students and staff.”


“Of course not, Headmaster,” Quirrell said.


“Very well,” Albus said. “Good night, Quirinus.”


Quirrell stood and left the Headmaster’s office.


_0_0_0

“You wanted to see me, Headmaster?” Quirrell asked when he stepped into the Headmaster’s chambers.


“Yes, my boy,” Albus said, holding out his hand and offering Quirinus a seat across from his desk. “Some things have come to light. I would like you to clear a few things up for me.”


“If I can, Headmaster.”


“You sent word to me of a detention involving Mr. Potter,” Albus stated as he went through the many parchment scrolls on his desk. When he found the one he was looking for, he sat back in his chair, holding the scroll in his hands. “I noticed belatedly that it didn’t state the manner of detention.”


“Do forgive me, Headmaster,” Quirinus said. “It must have been an oversight.”


Albus tilted his head, quirking his eyebrow. “So, your intentions were to willingly send a student into the Forbidden Forest, knowing of the dangers.”


“You must understand,” Quirinus started but was cut off.


“It looks to me like you purposefully kept the manner of your detention off this scroll,” waving said scroll in his hand, “because you knew I would override this detention.”


“Absolutely not, Headmaster,” Quirinus adamantly denied. 


“I hope it was an oversight,” Albus said. “I would hate to learn it was intentional. This will be the second time you put my students in danger. Don’t let it happen again.”


Quirrell nodded and stood to leave. Before he could reach the door, Albus spoke, “Don’t make me regret keeping you on.”

~~~_)

       

_0_0_0  

Albus allowed Quirinus entry into his chambers, following behind him. 


“Please sit,” Albus offered as he sat behind his desk.


Quirinus sat in the offered chair. “Headmaster, I have to leave. There is someone I am meeting.”


“I understand,” Albus said. “And this will not take long.” Albus waved his hand, making a tea service appear on his desk. “Please,” Albus offered. 


“Headmaster,” Quirinus said as he made his tea. “Something must be done about Severus.”


Albus didn’t reply; he just watched Quirrell over his teacup.


“He’s becoming much too violent,” Quirrell quipped. “Maybe he’s what they said he was during his trial.”


Albus said nothing. 


“Maybe his time as a Death Eater has corrupted the man,” Quirrell continued.


Albus sat his teacup down and let the Defense professor continue. The Headmaster almost wanted to laugh at how bold Quirrell was being now that Severus wasn’t near him. He definitely did not show this brazen behavior when he was standing in front of his son. 


“I worry about how he will be with the children,” Quirrell said. “The children already don’t like him. Bat of the Dungeons, indeed. I believe he should be relieved of his duties.”


Albus kept his son from physically harming this man. But it was becoming increasingly more difficult for Albus to refrain. 


“I would question the children’s safety after that display,” Quirrell continued. 


“I wouldn’t be so quick to judge,” Albus said, looking over his half-moon glasses. 


“What do you mean?” Quirrell asked. “I’m fantastic with the children. The students have fun in my class.”


Albus took a moment before he responded. It wasn’t that he needed to gather his thoughts. It was to make the wizard believe that his point was getting across. 


“So, the students are safe with you,” Albus clarified. 


“Of course.”


“I see,” Albus said, nodding. “Is it for the ‘safety of the  students’ when you send a student to the Forbidden Forest for detention?”


“Hagrid told me he needed help searching for Unicorn foals,” Quirrell answered quickly. “During one of my nightly strolls, I saw Hagrid coming out of the forest.”


“And you stand by the decision that sending a child to the Forbidden Forest was a sanctioned punishment?” Albus asked. But he continued before Quirrell could reply. “Something you neglected to tell me when the detention was given. By the way, what could young Harry have done to warrant such a dangerous detention? Surely, it wasn’t your intention for the child to be harmed?”


“Of course not,” Quirrell denied. “He performed a dark curse in my classroom. I felt the punishment fit the crime. Mr. Potter should learn that there are consequences to one's actions.” 


“Oh,” Albus said, nodding. “I believe Harry already understands that in more ways than you realize. Back to Professor Snape, you said he’s dangerous to be around the students. I will disagree with you. Sending a child into a place I said was forbidden at the beginning of the school term is far more dangerous than a teacher who is strict with his students.”


“What are you saying?” Quirinus asked.


“I believe you said it best,” Albus said. “One should learn the consequences of one’s actions.”


“I’m not understanding,” Quirrell said.


“I believe I’m making myself quite clear,” Albus said. “I’ve given you a chance after chance. Things are not adding up with you. You are the one who is a danger to my students. A troll coming into the school. As everyone else was in the Great Hall, you were the only one who could have seen that.”


“But I explained…”


“Giving Harry unsanctioned punishments,” Albus continued, “I’m assuming to harm the child.”


Quirrell didn’t reply to that.


“Finally,” Albus said, his tone cold. “Your magical signature of several items and persons to which harm was caused.”


Quirrell audibly gulped. He could feel the room becoming colder.


“You sought out to harm my students. Harry and Neville in particular.”  


Quirrell was dumbfounded by what he was hearing. This was not what he was expecting. 


“I suggest you leave this castle,” Albus continued, “before you end up like the troll.”


“But Headmaster—”


“I’m sorry,” Albus said, standing up. 


Quirrell stood so fast he knocked the chair over. 


“You must be under the impression that my statement warranted a discussion. You will leave this school.” 


Albus raised his hand, snapping his fingers. Quirrell was expelled from the castle and landed with all his belongings at the apparition point behind the castle grounds.


The Headmaster sighed as he sat back down behind his desk. Taking a deep breath, he tried to calm his nerves. It had been a long time since he had ever been that angry. Looking through the many scrolls, he searched for the one he pinned out after the troll incident. He hoped it wouldn’t have come to this, but he needed to send it out now that it had. 


Albus left his chambers. He wanted to get back to his son and learn how young Harry was doing. But he knew he would need to calm down before he arrived, so the walk to the owlery should help.


_0_0_0

Severus stepped into his chambers and saw Poppy had redecorated, not that he minded. She transfigured the sofa into a bed with Harry lying on it. He noticed that Harry was still wrapped in Hagrid’s wooly coat. Fang was still there, lying on the floor next to the cot. 


Severus walked over to Poppy’s side. “How’s he doing?” he asked.


“His temperature is very low,” Poppy said. “Hagrid’s coat is actually warmer than the room, so I’m keeping him wrapped in it.”


Hearing that, Severus turned to the flames in the fireplace and cast Incendio to make the flames grow hotter. He would turn his chambers into a sauna if it meant caring for Harry. 


“Severus,” Poppy pleaded. “Harry needs to be in the Infirmary. I can easily regulate his temperature there. Having it hot in here will not change it. He needs to warm up not just on the outside but also on the inside. I cannot do that here.” 


“Harry will not step one foot in that Infirmary while Black is here,” Severus adamantly said. “Change my chambers. Do whatever it is you need, but Harry stays here.”


“Severus,” Poppy pleaded.


“Get what you need,” Severus said, sitting on the side of the bed and looking at his godson.


Poppy sighed and left Severus’ chambers, rushing to the Infirmary. Trying to take the floo would’ve been too dangerous since Severus made the fire burn hotter. 


Severus looked at the small child. He seemed so much smaller, being wrapped in Hagrid’s coat. He caressed the child’s cheek. The chilled skin brought tears to his eyes. Severus couldn’t fathom what would make Harry run out of the castle.


Severus noticed that Harry was stripped down to his underwear. He figured Poppy wanted as much of his skin to be around warmth. 


Poppy returned a few minutes later with many things floating behind her. There were thick flannel pajamas and a woolen cap, but one item that caught Severus’ attention was a simmering pot of water with a saline bag in it. He looked to the matron in question.


“It’s warm saline,” Poppy answered the Potions Masters’ silenced question. “Harry needs to be warmed from the inside as well as the outside. I’m going to need your help as I put in an IV.”


Poppy and Severus worked in silence. They removed Hagrid’s coat. It didn’t take long to get Harry dressed in the pajamas. The cap had a heating charm to dry his hair and warm his scalp. Harry was also provided thick socks and gloves with the same charm. 


Poppy put the IV in Harry’s arm, giving the tube enough length so Harry’s sleeve could stay down. She didn’t want Harry to have too much of his skin exposed.


Once they were finished, Poppy said, “I’ll be back in a bit. I messaged St. Mungo’s for more saline. It should be ready for me to pick up. Once I get it, I’ll be back down.”


Severus nodded in response but never took his eyes off of his godson. He didn’t even register that Poppy left his chambers. He moved a few strands of hair that covered Harry’s eyes. Because of the cap's weight, it matted Harry’s hair to his face. It reached down to the child’s ears.


The Potions Master couldn’t stand it. He felt he was too far from his godson. He remembered when his spider monkey would attach himself to him. He always thought that it was an inconvenience. Right now, he needed to feel the small child in his arms. He needed to feel the rise and fall of Harry’s chest. 


Severus transfigured his wingback chair into more of a recliner. It would go back so that it raised his feet a little, but he wasn’t lying down straight. Not wanting Harry to feel any cold that could seep through the flannel pajamas, Severus removed his outer coat so he was only in his white shirt. He knew it would be warmer because of his body heat. Severus carefully picked up his godson, cradling the child to his chest, mindful of the child’s IV. Once he was settled in his chair, Severus accio’ed Hagrid’s coat and draped it over himself and Harry. 


Harry may have been unconscious the entire time, but it didn’t stop his body from snuggling into his Godfather once he was lying on his chest. 


_0_0_0

It was so cold. When will Uncle Vernon let me inside? He did all of his chores. Maybe he let the vegetables cook a little longer than normal, but he didn’t think it was that big of a deal. They ate it. And didn’t leave me any. Harry looked up at the sky. He watched as fat snowflakes fell around him. He blew on his hands, hoping that would help warm his fingers. 


Harry turned and saw that the light was still on inside the house. His heart dropped when the light went off. Oh, no. That meant that his relatives were going to bed. 


Harry stood up but quickly fell back to the ground. His legs felt like weights pulling him back to the earth. He crawled on his hands and knees so he could reach the door. 


When Harry reached the door, he started banging on the glass pane. “Uncle Vernon! Uncle Vernon, please.” Over and over, Harry cried out, banging as hard as he could. He only stopped when he saw the lights come back on. Harry fell back on his bottom when the back door swung open, revealing a very angry Vernon. Harry saw he was holding a strap in his hand. 


Harry tried to get up and run away, but his movements were sluggish at best because he was so cold. He felt his uncle grab his arm tightly. He saw the swinging of the strap and knew the pain was going to be bad. He was already freezing, so anything would hurt ten times worse. The first hit was so painful it knocked all the air from his lungs. He gave a silent scream. Harry didn’t hold back on screaming at the top of his lungs when the next strike came. He didn’t care who heard it. At that point, he’d hoped the whole world heard it. His hot tears seemed to burn his cheek as they flowed. 


THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP!


The new sound that drummed in Harry’s ears seemed to ease the strikes.


THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP!


The grip his uncle had on his arm, though tight, didn’t seem to hurt as much as before.


THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP!


A new feeling began to come over Harry. He wasn’t feeling as cold as he was before. Even where he was, he was starting to feel safe. 


THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP!


“Easy, Harry, easy. It’s alright. I’m right here. You’re alright.” 


Tears burned Harry’s throat. He knew that voice. It was his safety. Everything around him seemed to melt away. He was no longer at his relatives’ house. He wasn’t as cold. He felt something heavy on his back. He didn’t know what, but it didn’t scare him.


_0_0_0

Severus didn’t realize he had fallen asleep until he felt a slight movement on his chest. When he opened his eyes, he noticed Fang standing before them, his muzzle softly digging into Harry’s back. 


“Back off, dog,” Severus ordered quietly. He didn’t want to disturb Harry. Harry needed his rest so he could heal. 


Fang ignored the order, not that Severus was surprised. The dog was still in his chambers. Severus was about to reprimand the dog again when he heard slight whimpering coming from his godson. 


“Easy, Harry, easy,” Severus crooned, rubbing Harry’s back. “It’s alright. I’m right here. You’re alright.”


Severus said that over and over until he felt Harry calm down. “That’s it. You’re safe,” he continued to soothe his godson. 


Harry began to squirm in Severus’ hold, rubbing his face in his Professor’s chest. It was the smell that made his throat burn. It was the heartbeat that made the tears swell. And it was his safety’s voice that made the tears overflow. He wasn’t at his relative’s. He was with his safety. His safety would take care of it. He would make everything better. 

TBC