Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 26: A Change is Coming

Albus walked into Severus’ chambers and was met with Severus leaning back in his chair, Harry lying on top of him with a saline bag hovering over him, and Fang lying on the floor with Severus' feet crossed at the ankles, resting on his back—Hagrid’s coat covering the two where only their heads could be seen. 


“Severus,” Albus whispered so as not to disturb Harry, walking over to his adopted son.


“What is it, Albus?” Severus replied. “If you come to harp on me because I had that bastard against the wall, save your breath. I’m not sorry for what I did, and if you hadn’t stopped me, I would have done more.”


Transfiguring the cot back into the sofa, “I cannot allow you to physically attack someone,” Albus reprimanded, sitting down. 


“He’s been after Harry,” Severus seethed, looking at his adopted father. “The Quidditch match, the Gryffindor’s practice. This behemoth here.”


“What happened with Fang?” Albus asked.


“I told you before there was another attack on Harry. That’s why I allowed him to go to the Weasleys. Fang took the brunt of the hex. At first, I thought the dog was attacking Harry. Turns out he was protecting the boy.” After a moment, Severus continued, “I believe he framed Harry to get that detention. And Longbottom was just the way to do it.”


“Severus,” Albus said.


“I told you after that detention, Quirrell needed to go,” Severus continued in a rage. The only thing keeping Severus in one spot was the fact that Harry was lying on his chest. 


“And I told you I needed something more concrete before any actions could be taken,” Albus replied.


“Well, here’s your concrete evidence,” Severus snarled. “I told you I didn’t want Harry to be a pawn, and you made him one anyway. And now Harry’s paying the price.”


“Severus, that’s not what happened.”


“Isn’t it?” Severus quipped. “He’s attacked Harry. Something made the child run out of the castle. He’s done something to the child. And I won’t know the extent of it until Harry wakes up. If he even does.”


“I will not have you talking like that,” Albus said. “Harry will be fine. He has you. And you have me. We will get through this.” 


_0_0_0

Minerva walked into the Infirmary. She saw Poppy moving around in her office. Minerva could see Sirius lying still on the furthest cot. She walked over to the man. It hurt her heart with everything Sirius went through. Ten years in Azkaban for something he didn’t do.


Poppy walked out of her office and saw Minerva. She walked over to her friend. 


“How’s he doing?” Minerva asked. 


“Resting,” Poppy said. “He’s just exhausted. Severus’ Legilimens took a lot out of the man. With how weak he was from being in Azkaban, this just took its toll.”


“Yeah,” Minerva agreed. She turned to look at Poppy. “What about Harry?”


“St. Mungo’s will be sending me more warm saline.” When Poppy saw the confused look on her friend’s face, she continued. “Harry’s temperature is dangerously low. He needs to be warmed from the inside as well as the outside.”


Poppy waved her wand as a translucent saline bag appeared before the witches. “I want to get more saline before this finishes,” Poppy explains. “I don’t want to have a moment where Harry isn’t receiving the warmth he needs.” 


Before Minerva could respond, a missive popped in front of the two witches. Poppy read the small piece of parchment.


“Forgive me, Minerva,” Poppy said, rushing towards her office. “I must go to St. Mungo’s.”


“Is everything alright?”


“Nothing too serious, I hope,” Poppy said as she disappeared from her floo. 


Minerva looked at the sleeping form on the bed before she turned and headed out of the Infirmary. There was another Gryffindor she needed to check on.


_0_0_0

Ron was desperately searching his room. Pulling the sheets off his bed. Tossing his shoes out of his closet. He was now on his trunk when the twins found him. 


“What are you doing?”


Ron looked up and saw Fred and George standing in the doorway. He paid them no mind and continued on with his search. “Leave me alone,” he mumbled. 


“Come on,” George said, walking into the room and stepping over the various articles on the floor. “Mum’s called for breakfast.”


“I can’t,” Ron said, sighing, getting up from the floor and heading towards the bureau drawers. 


“What are you looking for?” Fred asked. 


“Scabbers is missing,” Ron sighed. 


“Well, obviously, he’s not in here,” George said, walking over to his brother. “Let’s go eat. Maybe he’s downstairs.”


“I would be if you were tearing up the room like this,” Fred said. 


“It’s not funny,” Ron whined. “He’s been missing for two days. The last time I had him was when Harry came over.”


Fred and George looked at each other. Weird. 


“Come have breakfast,” Fred said, urging Ron towards the door. “We’ll ask if the others have seen Scabbers.”


“Yeah,” George continued, following his two brothers out of Ron’s room. “Maybe they’ve seen the rat.” 


Ron sighed, shoulders sagging as he allowed his twin brothers to leave his room. Where could Scabbers be?


+0+0+0

“I’m sure Scabbers is around here somewhere,” Molly said, kissing Ron on the top of his head. “You’ll find him.”


“It’s just not like Scabbers,” Ron whined before taking another bite of his food. 


“Scabbers?” Charlie said. “That rat’s still around? I thought it would be dead by now.”


“Don’t say that about Scabbers,” Ron raged, shoving his brother.


“Whoa!” Arthur exclaimed


“Ronald!” Molly chided.


“Not that serious,” the twins said at the same time. 


Arthur and Molly never condoned fighting of any kind amongst their children. There were so many problems and hatred around the wizarding world. They didn’t want any kind of divide between their children. They were a family. There was strength within the family, and though they were not basking in wealth financially, it didn’t mean they were not wealthy in love.


“It’s okay,” Charlie soothed, raising his hand to calm his parents. He then turned to his baby brother. “Hey, Ron. I didn’t mean to upset you. Rats usually don’t live this long.”  


“He’s never been missing this long,” Ron said as tears filled his eyes. 


“I tell you what,” Charlie said, wrapping his arm around Ron’s shoulder and pulling him to his side. “After breakfast, I’ll help you find Scabbers.”


“Thanks,” Ron said, wiping his eyes. 


“But I want you to prepare yourself,” Charlie cautioned. “He may have left you so he could pass on in peace.”


Ron nodded. He didn’t want to think that his rat was gone. He didn’t think much about his rat when he first got him. But Scabbers was cool to have around. And the rat was his.


_0_0_0

Minerva walked into Severus’ chambers, and she first noticed how warm it was. She placed a small cooling charm on herself and walked over to Albus sitting on the sofa. 


Severus was bundled under Hagrid’s coat. She smirked at the sight. Besides the crackling of the fire, the only noise came from Fang's snores, who was lying on the floor in front of the Potions Master. Harry’s small head peeked out from the coat under Severus’s chin. Both of them were asleep. 


“Ah, my dear,” Albus greeted, offering Minerva the seat next to him.


“How are they doing?” Minerva whispered, sitting next to Albus.


“Harry moaned a little but hasn’t woken up,” Albus answered.


“What about Severus?” Minerva questioned, worry in her voice. 


“Wondering why you two are still here,” Severus drawled, opening his eyes and looking at the two old geezers, who lived to aggravate him, sitting on his sofa. “Don’t you two have something better to do?”


“Come now, Severus,” Minerva said. “Nothing is more important than ensuring you and Harry are alright.”


“I’m fine,” Severus growled. 


“Oh, Severus,” Minerva cooed, getting up and walking over to the pair in the chair. “Harry isn’t the only one that’s had something happen to him.” She put her hand on top of Harry’s cap-covered head and stroked it. “You’ve just confirmed the innocence of someone who’s bullied you during your time here.”


Severus looked up at Minerva, shocked and silent. He didn’t know how to receive Minerva’s revelation. 


“I’m so sorry we didn’t see it before,” Minerva apologized. 


“Enough, both of you,” Severus snarled through clenched teeth. “I’m fine. I do not need to be coddled.” He did not want to deal with this. Severus only wanted to think about Harry and wanted the child to get better. He wanted the child to wake up and tell him why he went outside without his coat and hat. He wanted Harry to explain what happened. The last thing he wanted to deal with was that mutt lying in the Infirmary. Albus and Minerva weren’t getting it.


“Severus,” Albus soothed. “We are here to help you. Show our support for you with Harry. Even though this new information has come to light, it doesn’t change your role in Harry’s life. I told you that.” 


“You are no longer alone,” Minerva said. “There are so many people on your side. Your two biggest supporters are in this room. I know we give you grief, but even you understand why we do it.”


Severus hated to admit he knew why Albus and Minerva always were with him. It was a dark time in his life, and if it weren’t for the two of them, he probably wouldn’t be here. But the last thing he would do was to admit that to them. They would never let him live it down. 


_0_0_0

Quirrell walked into the Leaky Cauldron, wiping the excess snow off his coat. He couldn’t believe what just happened. He knew he needed to find a way to get back inside that castle. 


Well, he couldn’t think about it now. He still had someone important to meet. When he walked in, he saw a hooded-cloaked person sitting in the back of the bar. 


“What can I get you?” Tom asked from behind the counter.


“N..nothing yet,” Quirrell responded absentmindedly. He was on a mission and would not be deterred. 


“You’re late,” the voice rasped as Quirrell sat down.


“T..things came up,” Quirrell responded. “What d..do you have for me that was so important that you would r…risk everything?”


“First, stop with the fake stutter. You sound like an idiot,” the hooded man snapped.


“You’re one to talk,” Quirrell snapped back. 


“I know what will bring Lord Voldemort back,” The cloaked figure said, dismissing Quirrell’s statement. His voice was filled with pride. “On the third floor in the castle.”


“That’s nothing,” Quirrell said. “I thought you would have something new.”


“I’ve seen it,” the person replied. “It will please the Master that I found this.”


“What makes you think so?” Quirrell asked. “I know what’s on the third floor. You’re telling me nothing special. You forget. I live at the castle, too.”


“Fighting amongst yourselves will not solve anything.”


The two wizards looked up at the third man they were waiting on.


“Do neither of you know the concept of time?” the hooded man asked. 


“Don’t start with me, you rat,” the man groused. “Coming from Azkaban is no walk in the park. I can’t just apparate from the island.”


“No need to get personal,” the hooded man squeaked, no longer sounding as confident as he was a moment ago. “Keep your voice down.”


“What news do you bring, Seamus?” Quirrell asked, trying to bring their meeting back to focus. “Hopefully, it will be better than this rat’s.”


A small whimper came from the hooded man, but the other two paid him no mind.


“Black was released,” Seamus said. 


“What?” the hooded man squeaked. “How could you let that happen?”


“As if I could deny Albus Dumbledore a formal request like that,” Seamus replied. “He had the paperwork. I couldn’t deny it.”


“This can not happen,” the hooded man cried. “Everything will be ruined if Black talks. This has to be taken care of.” Panic settled in the man. “This is terrible.”


“Will you shut up and grow a pair?” Seamus demanded. “There’s not much that can be done while Black is under the care of Dumbledore. You’re just going to have to work faster. From what I’ve learned, he is going for a new trial.”


“Well, it’s not like they can prove anything,” Quirrell inquired. “You took care of the Will?”


“Well,” Peter whined, looking increasingly uncomfortable with the two men’s scrutiny. 


“What did you do, you rat?” Seamus growled. 


_0_0_0

Remus lived in Muggle London. He walked into his small flat, dusting the snow off his threadbare coat. Because of his ailment, Remus never was able to find substantial work. He did odd jobs and tutored a bit to make ends meet. 


Most days, Remus would sit back and reminisce about his school time. He missed his friends. For almost seven years, he could live his life without fear of his secret isolating him. During that time, he was able to be a child.


In the beginning, Remus thought he would always be alone. He was a werewolf. He was a monster. No one would see the small, scared boy he truly was. Being a werewolf, Remus could not attend school. There were laws against werewolves being within “civilization.”  


Remus was surprised when he got a visit from Albus Dumbledore. He was the Headmaster of Hogwarts and a great wizard. There weren’t many people who didn’t know who Dumbledore was. So, for this great wizard to come and personally invite him to Hogwarts to learn was amazing. Scary and dangerous but amazing.


Precautions were made to ensure the safety of the other students and staff. Initially, only three people knew the truth about Remus: Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Madam Pomfrey. 


In the beginning, Remus was excited he was able to join a school and be around other children his own age. It didn’t mean he still wasn’t lonely. Then he met two boys that changed everything. James and Sirius saw him just as he was. Even after they learned he was a werewolf. They didn’t shun him. They kept his secret. 


It had been a long time since Remus thought about his time at Hogwarts. Actually, he had tried for many of these past ten years not to think about Hogwarts. Because it always led him back to the darkest time of his life. That night, his world changed, and he returned to being alone. In one night, he lost all of his friends. A small baby lost his family. The man who, he believed, would die for his friends actually set everything in motion to have them killed.


After that fateful Halloween night, Remus went into a dark place in his mind. For as long as he’d been a werewolf, Remus never wanted to curse anyone into this life. He also didn’t want to live up to the stigma of killing. But that night, Remus wanted to hunt Sirius Black and rip him limb from limb. Never would he think in his wildest dreams that Sirius would betray James. Not to the point of James’s death. But James and Lily’s deaths opened Remus’ eyes to what Sirius was truly capable of. It brought a true light to that so-called prank that happened during the sixth year at Hogwarts.


It took several years for Remus to let go of his rage. He figured he needed to live for James and Lily and honor their memory.


Remus sat down at his desk. It was filled with several sheets of paper that were sent to him from the students he was tutoring. But reading their work wasn’t at the forefront of his agenda. It was the roll of parchment that came via owl. Remus wanted to ignore the first parchment he received. But he should have known one thing about Albus Dumbledore: that man would not be ignored.


Remus read the invitation repeatedly as he’d done for the past few weeks. Then he looked at the most recent parchment he received yesterday. Remus couldn’t help the surge of excitement he was feeling at the prospect of seeing Hogwarts again. Those seven years were the best years of his life. Hogwarts was home for him. 


Could he dare to dream? Could it be possible? 


Making his final decision, Remus pinned his response and, once again, headed out into the cold to the Leaky Cauldron to borrow Tom’s owl.      


_0_0_0

Sirius woke up to a splitting headache. Never had his head hurt this bad. His throat clogged with tears as the worst night of his life replayed in his mind. 


(~~~_)

It was the morning of the 29th of October when the decision was made for the Potters to go into hiding. Albus learned of the imminent threat and suggested the Potters go into hiding. Sirius was present when he talked with James and Lily about their protection details. When Albus left, Sirius got the idea that if Death Eaters were planning on coming after James and Lily, then they would need even more protection. 


“Use Peter as your secret keeper,” Sirius said. 


“Peter?” Lily asked. “Are you sure?”


“He would be the best choice,” Sirius replied. “Everyone knows that James is my best friend. If you go into hiding, they will assume I would know your whereabouts.”


“That’s too great of a risk,” Lily pleaded. “You’re putting yourself in danger.”


“No more danger than usual,” Sirius countered. 


“He’s right, Lils,” James said after a moment. “If we are going to hide, then we need to have the most unlikely person as our secret keeper.” 


It hadn’t been a day since he said his goodbyes to James and Lily. He spent the better part of the evening playing with baby Harry. It broke his heart that he would not know where his family would be for now. Sirius would not believe that this arrangement would be permanent. It couldn’t be. He would not let it. They would find a way to win this war. They would defeat Voldemort. 


Sirius was given the honor of putting Harry to bed for what would be the last time. He played with Harry in order to tire him out. Once Harry was asleep, he laid the child in his temporary cot. When he turned to leave the room, he saw Lily standing in the doorway. 


“It won’t be forever,” Lily soothed. 


Too choked by tears, Sirius nodded as he walked past Lily, but not before giving her a kiss on the cheek. But when he walked back into the main room and saw James, he couldn’t keep the tears at bay. So, to not make an absolute fool of himself in front of James, he walked over to the man he saw as his brother and gripped him into a fierce hug. 


“It’s only for a little while,” James whispered before slipping a small object into Sirius’ pocket. 


Sirius looked into his pocket and saw an emerald gemstone half the size of his hand. A buck, a doe, and a fawn were in the middle of the stone.


“We’ll always be with you,” James said. “This is not goodbye.” 


Sirius saw Peter Pettigrew walk into the room. This was it. He wouldn’t see James, Lily, and Harry for the foreseeable future. 


“I’m trusting you, Wormtail,” Sirius said, standing before the shorter man. “Keep them safe.”


“I will,” Peter replied.


Sirius walked out of the temporary safehouse without looking back; never in his wildest dreams did Sirius believe that would be the last time he would see James alive.


(~~~_)

Sirius hated reliving that night. The night he betrayed his friend, his brother. So many what-ifs. His last night with his family. His last night when everything was perfect.


_0_0_0

Poppy just left Sevrerus’ chambers after bringing more warm saline. She checked over Harry once more. Harry seemed to be warming up this time to the point that he didn’t need the hat or gloves. 


Getting Severus to lay the child back on the once-again-transfigured cot took a lot of convincing. Harry’s temperature had risen enough that he was out of danger. Poppy deemed it safe enough that the child didn’t need to stay under Hagrid’s coat, but she wanted to keep Harry on the saline for a little longer.


“If he doesn’t wake on his own in the next few hours,” Poppy instructed before leaving, “try and wake Harry up.”


The three wizards were in a comfortable silence in the Potion Master’s chambers. Albus was perusing a book while Minerva was crocheting. Severus was genuinely surprised when the house elf brought Minerva her supplies. Severus figured telling the two old geezers they didn’t need to stay was a waste of breath. They would listen to him as much as the behemoth of a dog that was still lying on the floor in front of his chair. 


Squirming and moaning brought Severus out of his musings. Severus looked down at the boy in his arms. The child tried to grip Severus’ shirt with his gloved-covered hand while rubbing his forehead on his chest. 


“Come on, Mr. Potter,” Severus whispered into the child’s head, rubbing his hand up and down the child’s back. “It’s time to wake up now.”


Albus and Minerva stopped what they were doing, paying attention to the couple in the chair. 


“M’ cold,” Harry moaned quietly. “S’ry, Un’kle Ver’n, come inside?”


“I know you’re cold,” Severus said. “We’re trying to warm you back up. But I need you to open your eyes. I want you to tell me where you are.”


Harry remembered realizing he wasn’t with his relatives. He could still hear the thumping of his safety’s heart. But he also could feel the punishing strikes from his uncle’s strap. 


Harry could hear his safety telling him to open his eyes. But Harry didn’t want to open them and discover everything had been a dream that he was still in his cupboard. 


Harry felt something cold and wet touch his cheek. Fear enveloped him as he believed he was still outside at that moment, but it was short-lived in the next moment. 


“If you don’t get away from here, you blasted dog,” Severus groused. “Give the child some air.”


The sharpness of his safety’s voice made Harry try to open his eyes. His eyelids felt so heavy. But Harry was determined to open them. If he could hear his safety and know that the only dog his Professor would come near was there, he wanted to see if it was true. 


Harry opened his eyes, and the first thing he saw was Fang’s muzzle near his face. He could tell he didn’t have his glasses. Harry couldn’t remember where his glasses were. Not that it’d matter. Lying on Professor Snape’s chest brought tears to his eyes. It was all true. Harry was no longer with his relatives. 


“Mr. Potter,” Severus said again. “Where are you?”


“You’re real?” Harry whispered.


“Very much so,” Severus replied.


Harry reached up and wrapped his arms around Severus’ neck.


TBC