Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 27: A Venomous Past

It’s been three days since Harry was out in the snow. Poppy deemed Harry able to get off the warm saline the second day. Harry could move around on his own at the end of the second day.  


Albus and Minerva stayed the first night, much to Severus’ protests. Harry slept on his bed after he woke up. Fang stayed with the boy. 


After putting Harry down and ensuring he was asleep, Severus left to return Hagrid’s coat. Severus found Hagrid in the Great Hall. 


“Hagrid,” Severus called out, walking towards the half-giant.


“Professor Snape,” Hagrid replied. “How’s Harry?”


“His temperature is regulating,” Severus said. “He’s out of danger but still needs to rest.” Handing Hagrid his coat, Severus continued, “Can you tell me what happened? How did you find him?”


“Fang took off into the forest,” Hagrid said. “He usually doesn’t like going into the forest, especially without me. Usually a coward, that one. I ran after him, and when I found him, he was curled around Harry.”


“Yes, well,” Severus said. “Thank you, Hagrid. I will say that your dog will not leave Harry’s side.” 


“Fang may be lazy, but he is loyal,” Hagrid said. “He’s had a liking for Harry since the beginning of school.”


_0_0_0

“Severus,” a voice called out from the fireplace.


Severus stepped into the sitting room of his chambers and saw Molly’s head in the floo. 


“Mrs. Weasley,” Severus greeted as he got on his knees. 


“I’m sorry to bother you so early,” Molly began.


“It’s fine,” Severus replied. “What can I do for you?”


“I wanted to check in on Harry. Minerva told me what happened.”


“Meddling old cat,” Severus growled to himself. “Harry’s doing better,” Severus said to Molly. “He’s resting now.”


“May I come through?” Molly asked. “I would like to see Harry.”


The question took Severus by surprise. Why would she want to come here? Severus stood, allowing Molly entrance into his chambers.


When Molly stepped through, she did not come empty-handed. She had a handled basket filled with cakes and pies. There was a small covered pot that smelled of beef stew. It also had knitted items in it. She handed over the goodie basket when she cleared the floo.


“I brought a nice warm meal for the two of you,” Molly said, brushing the dust from her clothes. “I figured you would be worried about Harry and not taking care of yourself. It’s enough there for the both of you.”


After setting the basket on the coffee table, Severus looked through everything in there. The stew in question was the size of his small cauldrons. Who did she expect would eat this much? Setting that aside, Severus pulled out more items: cakes, pies, bread, mulled wine, and juice.


“Thank you for this,” Severus said, shocked in his tone. “But I’m sure you are aware that the school has house elves that take care of the food.”


“Ah,” Molly dismissed. “Nothing beats a good home-cooked meal. This will warm you both up. May I see Harry now?”


“Yes,” Severus said, stepping into the small hallway that led to the bedrooms. 


Molly followed. 


When they got to Harry’s bedroom, Molly was surprised to see Hagrid’s dog lying on the floor. She looked at Severus, but he explained before she could even ask.


“Fang was the one that found Harry. He was in the forest. Now, the behemoth refuses to leave Harry’s side.”


“Have you learned what happened?” Molly asked as she made her way to the side of the bed. 


Harry was asleep, curled in a small ball in the middle of the bed. Molly sat down on the edge of the bed and started running her fingers in the child’s messy hair. 


“Not much,” Severus sighed, leaning against the doorjamb. “He’s still not making much sense. Poppy said he would have difficulty communicating because of how low his temperature was. He was at dangerous levels. Fang saved his life.” Severus’ voice cracked a little at the end. Just the thought of almost losing his godson was too much.


Molly turned and looked at the Potions professor. She’d known Severus his entire time of teaching. He’d taught all of her children so far, and she’d always known him to keep his composure. Her heart broke for him because she understood. The thought of almost losing any of her children would be devastating. 


Harry felt the bed dip a little. Fear speeded within the small child. Who could this be? Would he get in trouble for being in the soft, warm bed? His safety promised that it was his and no one would take it from him, but Uncle Vernon always told him that he was a Freak and nothing good would ever be his. When Harry felt the hand on his head, panic set in.


Molly began shushing the child, trying to soothe Harry. Severus fully walked into the room. He was about to take over what Molly was doing when Fang decided at the moment to jump on the bed. 


Molly was knocked off the bed. She would have landed on the floor if Severus didn’t catch her. 


Fang, being just shy of the same size as the bed, stepped up on the bed when he heard the child’s distress. Fang’s muzzle pressed against Harry’s face, causing the child to try and move away from him. 


Helping Molly stand, Severus growled, “Get off the bed,” as he got to Harry’s side.


Fang whined as he lay down. The bed creaked against the weight of the dog.


“Harry,” Severus’ voice changed to a soothing tone.


Harry opened his eyes and saw his safety instantly reaching out for him.


Severus didn’t want to take the child from the warmth of his bed or the heat he knew Fang was giving him, but he wasn’t going to deny his godson when he wanted to be held. Gripping Harry under his arms, Severus brought the small child to his chest and sat on the bed.


“You here,” Harry whispered.


Severus heard Molly gasp from what Harry said. He felt Harry tense in his arms. “I’ll always be here,” Severus promised. “Someone’s come to see you.”


“Don’t send away,” Harry whined, squirming in Severus’ arms. “I good. No more outside. Too cold.”


“You are staying with me,” Severus soothed. “You have a visitor.”


Harry looked up and saw a blurry version of Mrs. Weasley standing by the bed. Harry gripped Severus’ robes.


“Mrs. Weasley brought over some goodies for us,” Severus said, trying to prevent another panic episode. “Would you like something to eat? You love Mrs. Weasley’s food, right?”


Harry looked up at his safety and nodded. 


“Good,” Severus praised as he sat Harry on the bed beside him. “Let’s get you ready so we can have something to eat.”


Molly, trying to keep her tears at bay, saw Harry’s house robe on the back of a chair and handed it over to Severus.


Once ready, the three walked out of the bedroom to the small kitchenette. Fang walking right behind them. He lay on the floor again by Harry’s feet. 


Molly was about to bring the basket to the table, but Severus halted her movement with a hand up.


“Tami,” Severus called out. 


His small elf appeared next to him. Tami kept a low profile to her master so as not to have a reminder of the panic Harry went through when he went to bed.


“Bring me a small bowl,” Severus ordered. Tami left and appeared with said item within moments. 


“Severus?” Molly questioned, but Severus just shook his head.


Severus filled the bowl halfway before placing it with a spoon next to Harry and his two potions. After several reassuring words, Harry grinned at his Godfather and started eating.


Severus walked over to where Molly stood. He cast a silencing charm over them so they could talk freely without disturbing or upsetting Harry but would still be able to hear him if he needed them.


“Severus,” Molly said. 


“Some things are overwhelming for Harry,” Severus said, sitting on his sofa. “I’m learning he’s having difficulty discerning from his dreams and reality. I don’t know if these are repressed feelings or if something truly damaging happened during his stay out in the cold.”


“What do you mean?” Molly asked, sitting next to Severus.


“For example,” Severus explained. “If he saw your basket in its entirety, he would have panicked, believing that either it couldn’t be for him or that it was something he was supposed to prepare. He’s not used to magic, so Tami gave me the bowl here and didn't have it just appear in front of Harry.”   


_0_0_0

Albus walked into the Infirmary and saw Sirius sitting up on his cot. Poppy was tending to him.


“Good morning,” Albus said, standing next to the bed. 


“Good morning, Headmaster,” Poppy replied. “How’s Harry doing?”


Before Albus could reply, Sirius said in a panicked rage, “What’s wrong with Harry? What did Sniv–” he broke off when he saw the cold look he was getting from the Headmaster.


“What’s wrong with Harry?” Sirius asked again, this time more calmly.


Albus looked at Sirius for a beat, deciding if he should reveal what was happening with Harry. After a bit, he chose not to say anything. Sirius had to earn the right to know. If he wasn’t going to show respect towards Severus, he could wait until Severus deemed it time for Sirius to know. Besides, Albus had a different reason for seeing Sirius.


Completely ignoring Sirius’ question, Albus said, “When Severus used Legilimens on you to verify your story, something else came up. You became an Animagus.”


Sirius didn’t say anything. 


“Both you and James became Animagi,” Albus continued. “Am I to assume that Peter Pettigrew, being a part of your group, also became an Animagus as well?”


There was no point in lying. Sirius nodded.


“I learned that a dog was seen within these halls on Christmas night. Is there something you want to tell me?”


Again, Sirius said nothing. 


“I see,” Albus said, sitting on the cot next to Sirius. “You were all set to say disparaging things about Severus, but when the subject is on you and the illegal things that could have landed all three of you in Azkaban as well as discredited Hogwarts, you’re silent.”


Sirius paled a little at hearing what would have happened if they were caught. At the time, it didn’t seem all that serious about them learning to be Animagi. They didn’t want Remus to be alone when he became a werewolf. It was exciting to learn. He and James were ecstatic to master changing into their animagus form so quickly. They read that it took a long time to become one. It took Peter a little longer to master his Animagus form, and Sirius poked fun at Peter being a rat. But thinking back on the events that happened that night, maybe Sirius should have taken Peter’s Animagus form more seriously.


“I asked you before,” Albus continued, bringing Sirius from his thoughts, “how could James be safer with a werewolf instead of Severus? I believe I now know the answer.”


“We didn’t want Remus to be alone,” Sirius said. 


“James was safe because he turned into his Animagus form to protect Severus,” Albus continued, ignoring Sirius’ statement. “James must have lured poor Remus away so that Severus wouldn’t sustain much damage. Though we both know Severus was injured during that encounter.”


“Snape wasn’t hurt,” Sirius adamantly said. “Well, only his pride.”


Albus shook his head. “How much do you really know about the details of that night?”


“When I told James what I set up for Sniv-I mean Snape, he rushed out of the Common Room. When he came back, he stopped talking to me. I knew then he was angry, but we got through it.”


Albus tilted his head as he listened to Sirius. It amazed him how deluded Sirius was. And, more importantly, how seriously he, Albus, hurt his adopted son that night. He didn’t know if there was anything he could do to make up for what happened that night.


“Let me enlighten you as to what actually happened that night,” Albus said. “Severus came into contact with the werewolf. Severus was hurt, and he bears the scars to prove it.”


“It would have gotten out if he got hurt,” Sirius said. “Madam Pomfrey would have reported it if someone was attacked like that.”


“Severus, so much, enjoys telling me I’m becoming senile, but never have I witnessed such stubborn stupidity as I’m seeing from you right now.”


That statement took Sirius aback. So much could be taken from that sentence. How could Snape outright call Albus Dumbledore senile, showing the Headmaster such disrespect? 


“Yes, I allowed a known werewolf into this school,” Albus confessed. “But I would think you could surmise that more pertinent people would also know about it. How do you think the tunnel was made? Who do you think planted the Whomping Willow? How do you think the warding on the Shrieking Shack was done? How was poor Remus able to get around with little pain afterward? For one time in your life, drop your prejudice and blind arrogance and actually think. How were all these precautionary measures set?”


Sirius stared at the Headmaster. It really didn’t take a genius to know that it wasn’t just a coincidence with all the safety guards put in place. But thinking on it now, maybe he wasn’t as smart as he claimed to be. 


“The professors knew?” Sirius asked, though he already knew the answer. 


“Madam Pomfrey has records of everyone that’s graced these doors,” Albus said. “That being said, it would stand to reason that she would be able to treat Severus’ wounds from that night. Although they were wounds from a werewolf, and those scars do not heal completely, Severus is doing better.” 


“Our goal during Remus’ stay at Hogwarts was to ensure that young man would get the education he so rightly deserved while he kept his dignity and secret intact. Well, that didn’t happen that fateful night, did it? No. Because of your prank, Severus found out, got hurt, and was made to keep something quiet he should have never learned. If it had succeeded by chance, it would have meant the death of Remus and Severus or even James because he went out there to save Severus. And in the end, I would have been arrested along with any others who knew. It would have been a possible threat to the school closing. And poor, dear Lily would have lost everything. All for a prank.”


“What does Lily have to do with it?” Sirius asked. “She was nowhere in the middle of this.”


“I do believe Lily and James were starting to come together, am I right?” Albus asked. Sirius sat back against the headboard. “But she would have also lost her best friend.”


“Who, Snape?” Sirius asked. “They weren’t talking to each other anymore.”


“Why not?”


“He called her a “mudblood” in front of the whole school. She stormed off in tears. He tried to snivel and run after her, but she wasn’t hearing it.” 


Albus didn’t understand. He knew Severus and Lily were inseparable during their time at Hogwarts. He’d often seen the two of them sitting together, studying together. He saw the tension because of their friendship, so he hinted to Lily about the Room of Requirement. And they visited that room often. Never would he believe that Severus would utter such a horrible word. Then, a thought struck him.


“Why?” Albus asked. 


“Why, what?” 


“Why would Severus call his best friend, a girl he loved more than a sister, that word? What happened?”


“Snape got sore at us,” Sirius dismissed. “It was a harmless prank. Lily tried to defend him, and, like the ingrate he was, yelled at her. His pride was hurt. But it was so easy to goad him on.” Sirius couldn’t hide the smirk. 


“You think this is funny,” Albus accused. “It does explain what the catalyst was for how I lost him.” 


Albus didn’t know what he would learn when he came to Sirius today. But so many things were now coming to light. It was a hard pill for him to swallow of how ignorant Albus was to the everyday going on with the school. But learning more of what Severus had to endure was too much. What happened that would make Severus turn on his best friend? Albus looked at the man lying on the cot next to him. He studied the man for a moment. He thought about how callus Sirius had been in regard to Severus.


The room started to get cold. Sirius noticed he was getting colder. He pulled his cover closer towards him. He could see his breath out in front of him. He couldn’t keep eye contact with the Headmaster. And the stare he was receiving was more than uncomfortable.


“What did you do to my son?” Albus asked, enunciating each word.


Sirius paled.


+0+0+0

Poppy was working on Harry’s files when she noticed her breath showing in front of her. She looked around and saw that the glass windows started to mist over. 


Oh, no, Poppy thought as she rushed out of her office. 


She saw Albus staring at Sirius. And just like before, Albus’ temper was coming through. Poppy quickly sent her Patronus as she walked over to the Headmaster and her patient. 


Before Poppy could say anything, Minerva stepped through the floo. 


“Sweet Merlin,” Minerva said, shivering. 


She walked over to where Albus was. It had been a long time since the Headmaster showed this much anger. Poppy looked over at her in a silent plea to help calm Albus down. 


“Albus,” Minerva softly said, touching Albus’ shoulder. “What’s going on?” 


Albus didn’t respond. He just continued to stare at Sirius.


Not getting a response from Albus, she turned to Sirius and asked the same question.


“Sirius, what happened?”


Sirius didn’t answer the Deputy Headmistress. His only reply was, “Who is his son?” 


Minerva focused on Sirius, blocking Albus’ stare at her former student. 


“Listen to me, Sirius,” Minerva urged. “I need to know what you two were talking about.”


“Snape,” Sirius whispered. 


Minerva looked at Poppy, “Go get Severus,” Minerva said. 


“I don’t think he’ll leave Harry,” Poppy said, stepping away from Albus. 


“He’ll have to,” Minerva replied. “Albus needs to see him.”


Because of the intensity Poppy remembered Severus put on the flames in his fireplace, using the floo was out of the question. Poppy had to go down to the dungeons. 


Blocking Albus’ view of Sirius, Minerva continued to attempt to get the Headmaster’s attention. 


The windows in the Infirmary were starting to frost over. Not wanting another incident with their body temperature dropping, Minerva cast a strong warming charm over herself and Sirius.


After a moment, Poppy returned with Severus in tow. A shiver broke through both of them when they stepped inside the Infirmary. 


“Minerva,” Severus said, walking towards the three others in the room. “What’s going on?”


“I need your help calming him down,” Minerva said, giving Severus room to stand before Albus. 


Severus looked at Sirius, then put his attention on his adopted father. 


“Merlin, old man, you’re worse than Harry,” Severus quipped. “I’ve had enough with the cold, Albus. Can you warm it up in here?”


Albus looked up at Severus. “What did they do to you?”


Severus was taken aback at the look he was receiving from Albus. Never had he seen Albus look this anguished. His question caught him off guard.


“Who?” Severus replied. 


“Black and Potter,” Albus said. “What did they do? What would make you call Lily a mudblood?”


Severus stepped back. The last thing he ever wanted to talk about with anybody was the events of that day. So many things went wrong. The stress from taking the OWLs. The pressure the other Slytherins were putting on him. The death of his mother over that Christmas break. Dealing with Potter and Black was the last thing he wanted to deal with. But the humiliation they subjected Severus to was the proverbial icing on the cake. Everything bubbled over, and Severus took it out on the one person who had always been by his side. And that blunder cost him everything. 


Severus looked at Sirius and then back at Albus. Old feelings resurfaced, and Severus could see the disbelief in Albus’ eyes.


“Of course,” Severus snapped, “believe them!”


“Severus, no,” Minerva said. “That’s not–”


“You misunderstood me,” Albus said quietly, standing before Severus and putting his hands on Severus’ shoulders. “What did they do to you? How did they hurt you, son?”


Severus knew Albus cared for him. As much as he hated to admit it, Severus knew. Albus stayed by his side the entire time when he spied on the Death Eaters and some nights when he got back. Severus was loathe to admit it; he liked that feeling but also hated it. He was never deserving of that type of care. So many things were wrong because of him. Anything good that came into his life would be snatched away. His mother. Lily. The last thing he wanted to lose was Albus and now Harry. He didn’t want them to get too close but knew he wasn’t strong enough to let them go.


A hand caressing his cheek brought Severus out of his depressive thoughts. He looked into the caring eyes of his adopted father. 


“What happened to you?” Albus asked. “What happened that caused you to lash out and say that word?”


Severus closed his eyes, took a deep breath, stepped back from Albus, and looked at him.


Albus' heart broke at witnessing his son occlude in front of him. That action alone let Albus know that whatever happened was devastating. 


Severus looked at Albus and calmly and coldly spoke of what happened that fateful sunny day during his fifth year. 


“It was during our OWLs,” Severus stated. “A break was called, so I went out to sit by the lake under a tree. I was minding my business when four Gryffindors, who could do no wrong in your eyes, decided they were bored and wanted to humiliate me.”


With a pained look, Albus lowered his head. He knew Severus was detaching himself. Albus wanted to correct him but decided to let Severus tell his story without interruptions. 


“When I heard them coming,” Severus continued, “I stood to try and defend myself from four Gryffindors. Potter unarmed me and cast a jinx to knock me down. Lily rushed over and tried to get Potter to stop. I was able to get my wand and send my own jinx to Potter. James ignored her pleas to stop and used my own curse and levitated me by my ankles so that my robes would fall and reveal my clothes or lack thereof. Someone from my dorm decided it was funny to take my clothes. I didn’t have any trousers on. I believed my robe was long enough that I would be fine. I was wrong.” Severus looked over at Sirius and continued. “It was funny, wasn’t it? I mean, you laughed the loudest when everyone could see my underpants. Everyone, let’s laugh at Snivellous. He’s just a greasy nobody joke for everyone’s amusement, right, Black? Lily, once again, pleaded for James to leave me alone. Between the laughing from everyone and Lily’s pleading, I snapped. I yelled at her, instantly regretting it. What was left of my heart shattered when she looked at me. Lily ran off. But my humiliation wasn’t over, was it Black?”


“What else happened?” Minerva asked quietly.


“Ask Black,” Severus said, staring at Sirius. “It was his way to elevate his boredom.”


Everyone looked at the man lying on the cot expectantly. 


“What happened?” Minerva all but growled at Sirius.


Sirius thought it best that he didn’t ignore his former Head of House’s question. 


“James cast ‘Scourgify,’ causing pink soap bubbles to emerge from Snape’s mouth and nose,” Sirius confessed. “Then threatened to remove his pants.” 


The silence was deafening. Albus, Poppy, and Minerva couldn’t believe what they just heard. Albus had no idea Severus suffered like this. He never imagined the severity of his son’s abuse.


“How were you lowered?” Poppy asked, speaking for the first time. 


“Lowered?” Severus asked. 


“Yeah, how did you get down?” 


“I wasn’t lowered,” Severus said. “To solidify that final bit of humiliation, I wasn’t lowered. I was dropped. Barely not breaking my neck. Everyone laughed as they walked away. But, again, they could do no wrong.”


After a bit of awkward silence, Severus spoke, “Well, since you’re back to your senses,” looking at Albus, “I’m going back to Harry.” 


The Potions Master turned and left the Infirmary. When Severus reached his chambers, he walked in, seeing Molly cradling Harry on her lap. Harry was wrapped in the knitted blanket Molly brought over. 


“Is everything alright?” Molly whispered. 


“It’s fine,” Severus replied. “How’s Harry?”


Looking down at the small child in her lap, Molly said, “He wanted a hug when you left and wouldn’t let go. He fell back asleep maybe five minutes ago.”


Severus walked over to where Molly and Harry were and let his potion-stained fingers get lost in Harry’s mess of curls. 


Harry woke up at the new touch and saw his safety. A tired grin spread across Harry’s face as he tried to reach for Severus. 


Molly allowed Severus to relinquish her precious bundle. She smiled up at Severus as she watched Harry literally wrap himself around the man. She stood up and wrapped the fallen blanket back over Harry’s shoulders. 


“Thank you for watching him,” Severus said. 


“It was a pleasure,” Molly replied. “Call me anytime.” Molly turned and left through the floo. 


So much was revealed in the past thirty minutes. Things Severus never wanted to remember. So much hurt and shame. After that day, Severus believed he would never have his friend again. That all his chances of happiness ended when he uttered that horrible word. For so many months, Severus pleaded and begged. He tried to talk to Lily. He even tried to talk to her during the Summer holiday. That didn’t work. She wouldn’t see him. His life was a dark place. For years, it seemed the only light, though it pains him to admit it, was Albus and Minerva being in his life. But then his light changed into this small child in his arms. The day they read the Will allowed Severus to breathe again. She forgave him. After all that time, Lily forgave him.


TBC