Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Christmas.
Chapter 20: Not As Planned

The Weasleys were dumbfounded by what they had just witnessed. No one was eating. Arthur and Molly looked at each other. He realized that Molly had the same look of confusion on her face that he knew he had. 


Those despondent cries seemed to continue echoing throughout the house. This was Harry Potter. The Boy Who Lived. The rumors circulated in the Wizarding community for the past ten years never equated to this. It was believed that the child was respected and revered. Loved and cherished.


Molly had a feeling when she first laid eyes on Harry that there was something not right with the child. Never. Never would she imagine that he was abused. Tears streamed down her face as she tried to hold in her anger for what the poor child must have lived through. 


The unusual silence within the Weasleys’ home halted when a dish crashed against the farthest wall, and footsteps stomped out of the house.


Molly was shaken out of her tearful musing when she looked out the window and saw her second child storming towards the shed. She saw Arthur moving towards the door. Typically, Arthur would handle the children when they got emotional, but she stopped her husband by raising her hand. 


“I’ll go check on Charlie,” Molly said. “Y’all try and finish your dinner.”


The sun was beginning to set. The slight heat that the sun gave left entirely. Molly grabbed her coat as well as one for Charlie.


Charlie was her most sensitive son. He felt that he had to take care of everyone. He was also the most even-tempered one, a trait that came in handy when working on a dragon preserve. 


Molly could count on one hand how many times Charlie lost his temper. So, seeing her son storm off and hearing the crashing noises coming from the shed the closer she got gave her the knowledge that Charlie was taking this situation poorly. 


When she reached the shed and opened the door, she saw Charlie punching the wooden post in a rage. 


“Charlie,” Molly called out in a panic as she rushed to her son. “Charlie, no. Stop.”


She rushed to her son, pulled him away from the post, and turned him around so he could face her. It took all her strength to hold him back. Molly might be shorter and softer than her sons, but raising six boys taught her how to deal with their growing strengths. She was successful in separating Charlie from continuing to pummel the wooden post. Molly saw that her son was shivering. She didn’t know if it was from the cold or the adrenaline that fueled his rage. 


Molly pulled Charlie towards the small worktable in front of a small window. The table had different Muggle items. It was no secret of Arthur’s obsession with Muggle trinkets. But the forgotten items were not the source of attention for Molly. She sat her son down on the stool in front of the table so she could get a better look at his bruised hand.


Waving her hand, she brightened the dim light over the table. She wrapped Charlie’s winter coat around his shoulders and kissed him on the crown of his head. Molly held the bruised hand to get a better look at it. The skin was broken, and there was blood. But since the post didn’t seem splintered, she didn’t think any wood pieces got under the skin, but she would get a better look when she got him back inside the house. She took off the scarf around her neck and began wrapping Charlie’s hand.


“Who could do this?” Charlie asked. His voice was hoarse from the screaming before.


Molly looked at her son. 


“Who could hurt a-a child, a small child, and make him believe he’s a freak?” 


“I know,” Molly replied. “It’s a shock to all of us. None of us imagined that Harry was raised with that kind of fear.”


“The boy believed that he didn’t deserve food,” Charlie growled. 


“Yes,” Molly agreed. “But now he’s here.” Molly cupped her son’s face. “Your father and I will talk with Minerva and Albus in the morning to see what we can do to help Harry. He’s not with whoever he was with before now. And I promise you, your father and I will make sure he will not return to them.”


+0+0+0

Ron didn’t know what to think. Hearing his best friend’s cries was too much. For the first time, Ron wasn’t hungry. He looked around and saw that everyone else wasn’t eating as well. 


“Dad,” Ron said, breaking the silence in the room. “May I be excused? I don’t want anything.” Before the youngest male Weasley got an answer, he got up and left the table. 


The twins watched as their little brother retreated to the stairs and climbed them. Fred and George looked at each other, and with their food forgotten, they followed Ron to his room. They were just as baffled but knew they had to figure out something to help Harry when they returned to school. 


The remainder of the Weasley children got up and left, leaving Arthur alone at the table. The small child’s cries of not asking to eat replayed over and over in Arthur’s head. Looking at the mountain of food still on the table, he could not fathom not feeding a child. He looked around his humble home. They didn’t have a complete set of dishes. They got their pots and pans from a second-hand store in Diagon Alley. Their children wore hand-me-down clothes. Poor Ron, being the youngest son, rarely had new clothes. 


Arthur knew his family wasn’t wealthy monetarily, but he always felt their wealth was in love. He was proud of his children. They loved and looked out for each other. As long as Arthur lived, never had he heard of such abuse. Poor Harry was scared witless. The thought of having a child fear asking for food was outrageous. Something had to be done. And quickly. 


Molly walked into the house with Charlie in tow. When the pair got to the kitchen, Molly inquired about the other children. 


Arthur stood up and walked over to Charlie, seeing the blood-soaked scarf. “They couldn’t eat. What happened?”


Molly escorted Charlie to one of the chairs and sat him down. She rubbed her hand over Charlie’s hair before placing a kiss on his forehead. “Trying to release tension.”


Charlie could hear his parents talking about him. He just didn’t have the energy to respond to them. He stared at the corner of the room where young Harry had been cowered just a few moments before. His thoughts were still plagued with a too-small child’s cries and pleas. 


For the first time in Weasley's history, there were leftovers. Before Molly tended to Charlie’s injuries, she waved her hand over the uneaten food, setting them in preserved containers so the food could be consumed another day. 


Later that night, while Arthur was making his last rounds about the house, checking that the wardings would keep his family safe, Percy walked up to him.


“Percy,” Arthur said. “I thought you were in bed.”


“I’ve been thinking,” Percy said. “I have enough classes that if I asked Professor McGonagall for more work during the summer, I could finish Hogwarts sooner. I could get a job, help out with things around here, and we could help Harry. And it wouldn’t be a strain on the family. I’ll make my own money, so you and mum wouldn’t have to work so hard.”


Arthur walked up to his most practical son and cupped his face. 


“My dear, Percy,” Arthur praised. “You have a kind, giving heart.” Arthur pulled his son closer and kissed his forehead. “We are fine. The last thing I want you to worry about is our income. You and your siblings will always be taken care of. As for your schooling, you will continue to go about your classes as you are supposed to. You will not try to finish early. I want you to enjoy your time now.” Arthur raised his hand because he could see his son’s argument about to come forth.


“And another thing,” Arthur continued, “your mother and I have already discussed talking with Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall in the morning. We will see what can be done. I want you to worry about school.”


“It’s so much for you and mum,” Percy pleaded. “I want to help.”


“You are helping,” Arthur countered. “You help with your younger siblings. You work hard in school. I have nothing to worry about when it comes to you and the responsibilities you hold. You are a prefect for Gryffindor. What more can I ask? Go, get some rest. We will all see how we can help young Harry. As a family.”


Percy nodded. 


“Up to bed with you,” Arthur said, releasing his son. He watched as Percy climbed the stairs. He double-checked the door. When he turned to head to the master bedroom, he saw Molly standing by the stairs. 


Without a word said between them, he looked at her and knew she was thinking the same thing he was. People just know what their partners feel when they are together for a long time. Arthur walked to Molly, softly kissing her, and the two walked to their room.


___000___000___000

“Good morning, Albus,” Minerva greeted when she walked into the Headmaster’s chambers.


“Good morning, my dear,” Albus greeted back. “Tea?”


“Thank you.” Minerva walked to the side table with a tea service, sweet and savory biscuits, and scones. “I take it you’re not feeling up to going to the Great Hall this morning.”


“No,” Albus said, leaning back in his chair. “I am not in the best of moods after leaving Azkaban.”


Minerva put her cup and saucer on the table. “If you’d rather be….”


“No,” Albus cut her off. “I enjoy your company. Actually, I’m more worried about Severus.”


“Why?”


“I was successful in getting Sirius released,” Albus informed Minerva. “I told Severus last night.”


Before Albus could elaborate further, Poppy’s Patronus floated into the chamber.


“This can’t be good,” Albus said, getting up.


The two floo’ed to the Infirmary, walking out of the fireplace hearth into a screaming match. Sirius was shaking, barely able to keep himself standing, leaning against Poppy and screaming at Severus, who was standing firm with his wand in his hand while the other was trying to comfort poor Harry, who was cowering behind the Potions Master. 


Minerva went to assist Poppy in returning Sirius to his cot. Albus walked over to his son.


“Severus,” Albus soothed.


“You lied to me,” Severus snarled. His head turned to face Albus. 


“I’ve done no such thing,” Albus calmly said. 


“Why didn’t you tell me he was here?” Severus asked, pointing in Sirius’ direction with his wand. 


“I didn’t think it would be an issue,” Albus said. 


Severus looked at the Headmaster. He wanted to continue showing Albus how much it enraged him that Sirius Black and he were again under the same roof. But the shaken whispers that were coming from behind him stilled his tongue.


“I don’t want to go. I promise I’ll be good. I don’t want to go with the bad people. I won’t say anything. I don’t wanna. I don’t wanna hurt.”


Severus tried to move Harry so the child was standing before him. That process was more challenging. Harry refused to let go of Severus’ robes and rooted himself so he couldn’t be moved. 


Severus glared at Albus as he sheathed his wand and shrugged out of his outer robes, and turned to face his godson. All the while, Sirius’ constant yelling was like white noise in the background. With the grip Harry gave Severus’ robes, Severus picked up the child and robes. 


“Do not leave this castle,” Albus ordered. 


Severus didn’t respond as he turned and walked out of the Infirmary but stopped when he saw who was on the other side of the doors. 


___000___000___000

After promising their children they would be back with news, Arthur and Molly apparated to the gates of Hogwarts and made the final trek toward the school. So many memories flooded the Weasleys’ minds as they made their way to the castle doors. 


A few children were playing in the snow. Some were making snowmen, while others had snowball fights. 


When they got inside, the Weasleys headed for Professor McGonagall’s chambers. On their way, they heard a commotion down one of the corridors. Being the parents of Fred and George, they knew that particular corridor led to the Infirmary. 


“I think I heard Minerva,” Molly said as she got out of the stairwell.


“I don’t think so,” Arthur said. “The amount of screaming. How can you tell if it is from a man or woman?”


“Seven children,” Molly answered as she continued on her walk. 


Arthur shook his head as he followed Molly. They were met by the Infirmary doors banging open, and Severus was about to emerge from the room. Once again, he was holding Harry in his arms.


“What are you doing here?” Severus growled.


“Came to talk about Harry,” Molly said, still stunned from the door bursting open and the yelling that was still happening inside the Infirmary.  


“What about him?” Severus sneered.


Before Molly or Arthur could reply, Albus walked over to the small group of people, putting his hand on Severus’ shoulder. “Why don’t we take this to my chambers? It will be a little quieter. I’m sure Harry would rather be around quiet about now.”


Severus was about to refuse, but the look he received from Albus let him know that his statement wasn’t a request. It was an order. Taking a deep breath, holding it for a moment, then releasing it, Severus turned and made the stroll to Albus’ chambers.


___000___000___000

When the Infirmary doors closed, Minerva focused on Sirius, who was still trying to get out of Poppy’s grip.


“Mr. Black,” Minerva said in her sternest voice. “Kindly stop all this racket and get back into bed.”


Sirius’ rage turned to Minerva. “I need to get my godson!”


“First of all,” Minerva said softly. “I will not be spoken to in that manner. I don’t know if your time in Azkaban warped your memory, but I will not tolerate such disrespect.”


Sirius was shocked into silence at the tone he was receiving. He was no longer fighting Poppy against getting back into bed. The next thing he knew, she pulled the covers over his lap. 


“Secondly,” Minerva continued. “You will not see anyone in this state. You will not traumatize Harry.”


“He’s already traumatized,” Sirius argued. “You need to get him away from Snivellous.”


“Sirius,” Poppy rebuked.


He continued, ignoring Poppy’s admonishment. “He’s a Death Eater. I will not have my godson associating with such filth.”


Minerva couldn’t believe what she was hearing. One of her Gryffindors. She knew Sirius and Severus didn’t get along. It was no secret that there was no love lost between them. It seemed she ignored what was obvious. The more she listened, the guiltier she felt toward Severus. 


“Just stop,” Minerva said. “Poppy,” looking at the nurse, “could you excuse us for a minute? What is about to happen doesn’t need witnesses.”


Sirius’ greyish pallor deepened at his previous Head of House’s words. 


Poppy looked down at Sirius, and without a word, she turned and headed to her office, closing the door behind her. 


“Professor McGonagall,” Sirius began.


“You know, Sirius,” Minerva said, waving her hand. “I think you’ve said enough.” A chair floated over to her, and she sat down. “It’s my turn.”


Sirius closed his mouth, leaning against the headboard of the bed. 


“I’ve listened to you rant,” Minerva began. “And I have to say I’m very disappointed. Do you even realize what you were doing? Did you see what you caused?”


“I didn’t cause anything,” Sirius said vehemently. “Harry doesn’t need to be with that Death Eater.”


“And why do you believe that Severus is a Death Eater?” Minerva asked.


“That greasy Slytherin was destined to be a Death Eater,” Sirius sneered, crossing his arms over his chest. “Always following around after that ponce, Malfoy. It was just a matter of time.”


“Hmm,” Minerva sighed. “I never thought I would see the day.”


“What?”


“I always thought you would be different,” Minerva continued. “I thought you getting sorted into Gryffindor would have broken the cycle.” Minerva shook her head. “I guess not.”


“What are you talking about?”


“You sound just like Walburga,” Minerva sighed. “I would never think you, of all people, wouldn’t prejudge someone without finding out the truth.” 


Sirius sat in silence. He couldn’t believe what he had just heard. Never would he want to be compared to that awful woman. He hated his mother. She spewed evil. He was so grateful for the Potters. He didn’t think he would have survived if he had stayed home.


“I am nothing like that miserable woman,” Sirius screamed. 


“I’m not so sure,” Minerva said softly. “You believe Severus was a Death Eater without any real proof. You both graduated from here at the same time. What evidence do you have that he became a Death Eater?”


Sirius was silent.


“Exactly,” Minerva continued. “You have no proof. Only your prejudice that he would become a Death Eater because he was in Slytherin. You know the same could be said about you.”


Sirius was about to reply, but Minerva raised her hand to halt his words. 


“But you didn’t.”


Sirius huffed like a petulant child, sitting back against the headboard again.


Minerva shook her head and continued. 


“Now, this horrid nickname I keep hearing from you,” Minerva said. 


“What?” Sirius sulked. 


“Snevillous.”


Sirius didn’t try to hide the smirk. 


“Where did that name originate from?” Minerva asked. 


“He was always sniveling behind Lily,” Sirius said. Amusement in his tone. “It was pathetic.”


“Oh.” Minerva nodded. “Like how you would follow James around.”


Sirius’ amusement disappeared. 


“If my memory is correct,” Minerva continued, disregarding Sirius’ comfort level. “Whenever I saw James, you weren’t far behind. Did James even have privacy going to the toilet?”


“That’s not funny,” Sirius vehemently said. 


“No,” Minerva agreed sternly. “It’s not. Lily was Severus’ friend, just like James was yours. But you picked on Severus for doing the EXACT same thing you were doing.”


Sirius couldn’t respond. He had nothing to say in his defense. 


“Now, as to Harry,” Minerva said, changing the subject. 


“He should be with me,” Sirius said petulantly. “I’m his Godfather.”


“Yes,” Minerva agreed, nodding. “Yes, you are. But so is Severus.”


Sirius’ jaw dropped. “What? That’s not possible!” He yelled. “Who would name that greasy git Harry’s Godfather?”


“Lily.”


Once again, Sirius was shocked silent. Why would Lily do something like that?


“Maybe, because Severus was her friend,” Minerva said, looking at Sirius’ surprised face. “You mumble loudly.” 


There was a beat of silence between the two Gryffindors before Minerva spoke again.


“And since you’re so worried about Harry now,” Minerva began. “What about before? Why did you leave him? I know you were at the house. You let Hagrid use your bike.”


“I went after that rat,” Sirius proclaimed. “The one who sold them out.” 


“You were their secret keeper, yes?” Minerva asked.


“No,” Sirius said. “Peter was.”


“Peter?” Minerva questions. “Peter Pettegrew? The fourth of your group?”


Sirius sighed. “I figured when James and Lily went into hiding, people would assume I would know. No one would ever suspect Peter.”


“So, Peter, your friend,” Minerva said. “You’re Gryffindor friend, sold James and Lily out to the Dark Lord?”


Sirius didn’t answer.


“So, all that talk before about Severus being a Death Eater because he was in Slytherin. But in actuality, it was a Gryffindor. One of your best friends. That was actually a Death Eater and had your James and Lily killed. And you still claim that Severus is one. Does that even make sense? But I digress. You left Harry. I believe you only care about Harry now because he was with Severus.”


Sirius looked at Minerva, shocked at what she had just said. That wasn’t it. He was Harry’s Godfather.


Before he could defend himself, Minerva stood up, waving her hand to put the chair back.


“Get some rest, Sirius,” Minerva ordered. “Once Poppy clears you, you have a lot of explaining to do. Also, you must prove to me that you didn’t sell out James and Lily.”


“I’m telling you the truth,” Sirius pleaded.


“That may be.” Minerva shrugged. “But you will not come anywhere near Harry until the truth comes out.”


Minerva walked away from Sirius’ bed, heading towards Poppy’s office.


___000___000___000

Harry felt his safety stop moving and hazard a peak over Severus’ shoulder. He was a little puzzled as to why Ron’s parents were there. They were nice people. They let him come to their house. He played Quidditch with the others. They even let him pick their Christmas tree. 


They were friendly people. His uncle told him that he would be sent to bad people. They would hurt him every day. They were going to do bad things to him. 


But his safety said he wouldn’t leave. Even with that scary man in the Infirmary, his Professor protected him. Just feeling his Professor’s arms around him made Harry want to believe him more and more. 


Harry turned his head, cradled between Severus’ neck and shoulder. “Professor,” he whispered. 


“Yes, Harry,” Severus answered. 


“Am I getting sent to be with Ron?”


Severus huffed before answering the boy. “Must I brew a potion so that you will learn how to listen?”


Puzzled, Harry lifted his head so that he could look at Severus. 


“How many times do I have to tell you before you get it into that thick head of yours,” he said, using a potion-stained finger to lightly poke Harry’s head, “you are stuck with me. You decorated our chambers with all those ostentatious decorations.”


Harry couldn’t help but giggle at Severus when he talked about the decorations, but he didn’t miss his safety, saying “our” chambers.


Seeing the child smile, even giggle, Severus asked, “Are you feeling better?”


“Yeah,” Harry said as he cuddled against Severus.


“I can put you down,” Severus said.


Harry nodded as he was lowered to the floor. Harry looked over and saw Mrs. Weasley. She gave great hugs and said if he ever wanted one, she would give him one. Harry wanted a hug, knowing there was no threat of him leaving his safety. Harry didn’t realize he was wrapping his fingers in his robes until he felt Professor Snape pulling his robes free of his fingers. 


Harry slowly walked over to Mrs. Weasley. 


“Hi, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry softly said. 


“Harry,” Molly replied, smiling down at the child. 


“Uhm, can I? I mean, may I?” Harry stuttered through his words.


Molly held out her arms and asked, “Would you like a hug, Harry?”


Harry beamed at Ron’s mother as he rushed into her waiting arms. 


“Never doubt,” Molly whispered in Harry’s ear. “Whenever you need a hug, I will be here.”


Harry stepped back. “Thanks, Mrs. Weasley.”


“You are an extraordinary and loved child,” Molly said, cupping the small child’s face. She wanted to make sure that Harry understood what she wanted to convey. “I don’t want you ever to feel that you are not worthy. You understand?” 


“Yes, Mrs. Weasley.” Harry nodded as best he could with his head cradled in Molly’s warm hands.


“Well,” Albus said, breaking up the small group. “Let’s have some tea in my chambers. I assume you have much to discuss.” 


Molly nodded as she stepped back from Harry.


“Can I go visit Hagrid?” Harry asked. “I want to check on Fang. He was hurt, and I want to make sure he’s okay. Please, Professor. He’s my friend.”


Severus sighed. He didn’t want to be the villain about this. Under different circumstances, he wouldn’t mind Harry walking to Hagrid’s hut, but with these attacks that kept occurring around the child. Severus wanted his godson to be safe. 


“I’ll walk with Harry,” Arthur said.


Severus looked at Arthur and could have sworn the man could read his thoughts. Severus nodded. 


“Come, Harry,” Arthur said, holding out his arm.


“Tami,” Severus called out. 


A small house-elf popped next to Severus.


“Bring Mr. Potter’s winter cloak, hat, and gloves.”


“Yes, Master Sev’us,” Tami said before popping away. Seconds later, she returned with the requested items. 


Severus watched as Harry and Arthur walked down the corridor. 


“Severus,” Molly called out, bringing Severus out of his inner thoughts. “I’m glad that Harry has someone on his side.”


Before Severus could respond, Albus waved his hand in front of the Griffin statue. Once the stairs emerged, “Let’s have some tea.”


After the tea was distributed, Albus said, “It is always a pleasure seeing you, my dear. I’m sure you have a full house now.”


“Yes,” Molly replied, smiling. “It’s lovely having all my children home.”


“Yes, I’m sure,” Albus said. “But I must inquire why are you here? Is everything well at home?”


“Everything is fine,” Molly eased. “I must confess Arthur and I came to speak to you and Minerva about Harry.”


Hearing Harry’s name brought Severus out of his musings. 


“What about Harry?” Severus asked. 


Molly looked over at Severus, sitting next to her, “When you came and picked Harry up, the child mumbled some words that troubled us. We wanted to know if you were aware and what was being done about it.”


“I assure you Potter is taken care of,” Severus said sharply. 


“Severus,” Albus chided. 


“I mean no disrespect, Severus,” Molly quickly said. “My children were worried about Harry. They didn’t like what he was saying. We wanted to offer our help. But seeing you with the child just now assures me that Harry will be just fine.”


Severus had to take a breath. Dealing with Black earlier has made him hypersensitive concerning Harry. Severus needed to occlude his mind. Mrs. Weasley wasn’t questioning him but assuring his role in Harry’s life. 


“There is a lot that has to be worked out with Harry. I appreciate your concern,” Severus said. 


Molly reached over and squeezed Severus' forearm.   


___000___000___000 

Arthur and Harry walked down the snowy path toward Hagrid’s hut. Arthur wanted to talk to Harry about what happened when he was at their house. But he didn’t want to upset the child. 


Harry called out to Hagrid, bringing Arthur from his thoughts. “Hey, Hagrid.” The boy took off running.


Before Hagrid could even wave, Fang barrelled out of the cabin, running full force towards Harry. Arthur was about to caution Harry to get out of the way. He felt his heart start pounding double-time, pulling his wand out, when he saw Harry take off running. 


“Harry,” Arthur called out, bringing up his wand. He froze when he saw the child wrap his arm around the colossal dog’s neck with ease and whip around, and land on the dog’s back.


Arthur lowered his wand and couldn’t help chuckling to himself. Harry would do fantastic with his brood. What the child just did was something the twins would probably do. Once his heart slowed to an average rate, he continued walking towards Hagrid’s cabin.


“Look, Mr. Weasley,” Harry shouted excitedly. “He’s better. He’s better.”


“I see,” Arthur said. “Hello, Hagrid.”


“Arthur, wonderful to see you,” Hagrid said. 


The men stood back while watching Harry roughhouse with the boarhound.


___000___000___000

After an energetic visit with Hagrid and Fang, Arthur and Harry strolled back toward the castle. Molly was standing at the doors. 


“Hi, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry said with a smile. He rushed over and hugged her. 


Molly was momentarily surprised by the action, but it didn’t stop her from wrapping her arms around the child. She loved that he took her invitation seriously. She squeezed tightly but not too tight. She thought about what she and Severus had talked about. Having the reassurances, she knew that Harry would be fine. She kissed Harry on the head, bringing him out at arm's length. 


“You are an extraordinary boy,” Molly affirmed. “And you are welcome to come over whenever you want. Professor Snape wants you to head straight to his chambers.”


“Yes, ma’am,” Harry said and headed inside, going in that direction.


Molly walked over to Arthur, wrapping her arms around his and leaning on his shoulder. “Let’s get home to our brood.”


“Everything okay?” Arthur asked as the two of them walked towards the front gates.


“Everything is lovely. Harry is going to be okay. He has a powerful and competent wizard in his corner. Severus will take care of him.”


“Yes,” Arthur said as they got past the anti-apparating point. “And he has us.” He leaned down, kissing Molly on her cheek before the both of them apparated.


TBC