Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I am sorry for the wait. I wanted to get past Christmas so the story could move along. I hope you enjoy this chapter.
Chapter 21: Let's Have Christmas!

Harry walked down the stairs that led to the dungeons. He thought about everything that had happened in the last two days. Learning that he had a Godfather, he thought, was the best news ever. He thought about Ron’s parents. They were nice. He got three hugs from Mrs. Weasley. Harry thought that Mr. Weasley would be mean to him when he first met the man, but that didn’t happen. Mr. Weasley was fun when they were playing Quidditch at the Burrow; Mr. Weasley came out and scored a few goals before the game ended. 


Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.


The noise behind him brought Harry from his thoughts. 


Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.


Not again, Harry thought. His heart began to race. He would stay calm. Professor Snape said there was no one behind him when he thought he heard steps behind him the other day. 


Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. 


Harry started to pick up the pace. The noise was getting louder.


TICK. TICK. TICK. TICK.


Harry got to the corner of the corridor that led to Professor Snape’s chambers. Harry just wanted to get to safety. If he could reach the door, he knew his safety would save him. 


But he didn’t make it to the turn. Something knocked the child over, causing a shriek to escape his mouth.


___000___000___000

Arthur and Molly didn’t step one foot into the house before their children bombarded them. All of them talking at once. 


“Calm down,” Arthur said. 


“Let us get inside,” Molly said, trying to push her way through her children. 


“Mum, where’s Harry?” Ron asked.


“Will you let me get out of my outer clothes first?” Molly chastised. “Let me take a breath.”


The Weasley children backed away from their parents and sat down around the undecorated tree that was still lying on the floor. They were supposed to decorate it last night but didn’t feel very festive to do it. 


Arthur took Molly’s cloak from her and put both of their outer robes in the side cupboard. 


“Now,” Molly started. “We talked with Professors Dumbledore and Snape.”


“Snape?” Ron yelled.


Molly continued ignoring her youngest son’s outburst. “They are aware of Harry’s home life. They confirmed that his relatives were not caring about Harry. They have since removed him from the household, and he is now with his Godfather.”


“Godfather,” Fred and George said together. “Who?”


“Professor Snape,” Bill said. “That’s what they found out at the Will reading.”


“What are you talking about?” Charlie asked.


“A month ago, I was charged with securing the wards on a sealed parchment scroll,” Bill began. “It turned out that Uncle Fabian and Gideon placed the runes on it along with Professor Dumbledore. It was the Will of James and Lily Potter.”


“I thought the Will was taken care of after they died,” Percy said. 


“There was a charm on it,” Bill continued. “Someone tried to get past the runes that our Uncles put on it, but they couldn’t. So, they put a charm over it to keep it hidden. I cracked it and was there when the Will was read, but Professors Dumbledore and Snape didn’t read it aloud.”


“So, young Harry is very well protected,” Molly concluded. “Have you lot eaten? I’m sure you’re hungry.” 


Molly walked into the kitchen and started getting things ready to cook. 


“Bill, Charlie,” Molly called from the kitchen. “Can you bring the decorations down? I want to start on the decorations.”


Everyone got up and went to different areas of the house while Bill and Charlie left to get the decorations. 


“But he’s with Professor Snape,” Ron argued, mumbling to himself. “He hates Harry.” 


___000___000___000

Severus thought about his conversation with Molly. A part of him thought that she would rant and rave about the fact that he was Harry’s Godfather. But no. She was supportive. It was a big reason he hadn’t publicly announced that he was the child’s Godfather. He was a Death Eater. Yes, he was a spy, but it didn’t change the fact that he did have the mark on his arm. 


“Severus,” Albus’ soothing tone broke into the Potions Master’s musings. “No one would ever judge you.”


Severus' brow furrowed at the statement; then, he realized that he was rubbing his left forearm. He balled his right hand into a fist to force himself from continuing.


“More people will support you,” Albus continued. “You have the Weasleys and Minerva. And don’t forget you’ll always have me, son.”


Severus never liked talking about his insecurities. It made him feel weak. He wasn’t weak. He needed to get himself under control. He closed his eyes and occluded. 


Albus watched as he saw his adopted son close himself off. He didn’t like that Severus felt he had to shut his emotions away. Things like this made Albus wish Tobias Snape was still alive. That cruel man put those untrue thoughts in his son’s head. Albus tried to convince Severus that it was okay to show emotions. That it would make him stronger. Maybe Harry can succeed where Albus couldn’t. Maybe being with Harry will let that wall his son stands behind crumble. 


“I need to speak with Poppy,” Severus said. “Harry needs a check-up.”


“Is everything alright with the child?” Albus asked. 


“There are some concerning factors I would like checked out,” Severus answered. 


Before Severus could continue, Poppy and Minerva walked into Albus’ chambers. Severus stood.


“Don’t leave,” Minerva said, sitting in the chair Severus just left. 


“Harry should be back from Hagrid’s soon,” Severus replied, walking towards the hearth. “Poppy, would you come down when you’re finished here?”


“We can meet in the Infirm—”


“I’d rather not,” Severus said, cutting Poppy off. He left through a rush of green flames. 


___000___000___000

Severus wasn’t in his chambers a minute before Tami popped into the room. 


“Master Sev’us,” Tami called out frantically. “Master Sev’us.”


“What is it?”


“Harry, sir, is running down here.”


Severus didn’t like the sound of that. The last time Harry came to him, the boy complained that someone was following him. Severus rushed out of his chambers in time to hear Harry’s yell.


Severus had his wand in his hand instantly as he rushed to where Harry was. When he reached the end of the corridor that turned headed toward the main stairs, he couldn’t believe what he was seeing. 


“What the bloody hell is going on?” Severus boomed. 


Harry was currently lying on his back with a behemoth of a dog on top of him. The child gripped the dog’s head, squirming from side to side, trying to dodge the boarhound’s tongue. 


“What is this dog doing here?” Severus said. “Fang, get off.”


The dog whined and sat where he stood, still pinning Harry under him. Harry was able to slide from under Fang and get off the floor. 


“Why is that dog here?” Severus asked again. 


“I don’t know,” Harry said, using his sleeve to wipe his face of dog drool. 


Severus popped Harry’s hand, conjured a warm damp flannel, and began wiping the child’s face. 


Harry tried to escape the offending cloth but couldn’t move much since Snape held his head. 


“Stop squirming,” Severus admonished lightly. “You like playing with that behemoth. You have to get cleaned up.”


“FANG! FANG!”


Hagrid’s booming voice could be heard bellowing down the corridor. 


“Over here, Hagrid,” Severus called out, shaking the flannel and banishing it. 


Hagrid walked down the long corridor and started fussing at Fang, “You mangy mutt, what are you doing in here?”


“That’s what I like to know,” Severus said, looking down at Harry.


“I didn’t bring him,” Harry said, raising his hands and backing away. His eyes were huge and round. “I promise.”


Severus didn’t say anything. 


Hagrid jumped in, saying, “That mangy mutt ran off after Harry and Arthur left the hut.” 


“Keep that dog outside,” Severus ordered. “Come, Harry,” holding his arm out so the boy could walk in front of him. 


Severus followed Harry toward his chambers. When they got inside, Severus walked over to his chair and sat down, not realizing that Harry was still standing by the door. 


Harry didn’t know what to do. He didn’t know that Fang followed him into the school. Now, he might not be able to see him anymore. Or maybe his safety would punish him. Professor Snape did look angry when he looked at the child. 


“Harry,” Severus started. “I want–”


“Professor, I promise,” Harry said, cutting Severus off. “I didn’t know Fang was behind me. Please don’t stop me from going back to Hagrid’s. Fang is my friend.”


“Mr. Potter,” Severus called out. “Calm yourself.”


Harry stopped talking. 


“Come here,” Severus said, holding out his hand. 


Harry walked over and stood in front of Severus. 


“Hagrid said that that dog followed you, and I believed you when you said you didn’t know.”


“You did?” Harry asked. 


“I want you to go get cleaned up,” Severus said instead of answering the child. “Madam Pomfrey will be down in a while to give you a check-up.”


“We’re not going to the Infirmary?” Harry asked. 


“I don’t want to subject you to what happened earlier today.”


Harry shrugged Severus’ reply, turned, and headed down the small hallway towards the bathroom.


___000___000___000

Severus stood in his private laboratory. Several cauldrons were in use. Poppy left an hour ago. Severus didn’t like the findings from the scans she performed, but they were essential. He learned the first time Harry was checked, she had Harry’s drinks laced with Nutrition Potion. After discussing Harry’s results, the decision was made that Harry should have a more potent dose of Nutrition Potion and a Stomach Soother. She also wanted to add an Appetite Booster so that Harry could eat a little more.  


The door opened and closed, bringing Severus out of his thoughts. 


“What do you want, old man?” Severus asked without his usual bite in his tone. 


“I have not come here to bother you,” Albus said, walking next to Severus. “I wanted to ensure that you and Harry are at the Great Hall for supper. Tonight we share different Christmas traditions with the children that are staying. I want Harry to experience that.”


“I’ll send him to the Great Hall,” Severus replied, putting some asphodel into a granite mortar so that he could pulverize his ingredients. 


“The invitation was not just for Harry,” Albus said. “I want you there as well.”


“Albus, I’m not–”


“It was not a request,” Albus cut Severus off. “I want Harry to experience this with you.”


Before Severus could refute it, Albus turned and left the room. A small voice could be heard from the doorway a few moments later. 


“Professor Snape.” 


“Come in, Harry. Take a seat,” Severus offered, pointing to the stool next to his working table.


Harry walked over to the table and looked over into the different cauldrons to see what was in them. 


“Are these for me?” Harry asked softly.


“They are,” Severus answered. “Poppy has informed me that you were already receiving Nutrient Potion in your pumpkin juice.”


“Yes, sir.”


“Well, for the other two potions, you have a choice as to how you take them. Either I have your phials by your plate when you come to the Great Hall, or you can stop by my office before each meal and pick them up.”


Harry didn’t like that he had to take so many potions, and the idea of coming down to see his Godfather three times a day was wicked. But after the last two times he came to his safety’s chambers, he felt like someone was following him. He didn’t want to take another chance.


“I’ll take them when I’m in the Great Hall,” Harry sighed. “Will they be nasty?” His pumpkin juice didn’t taste any different since he started the Nutrient Potion. But he didn’t know about the other ones. Harry remembered when he was sick, Aunt Petunia would give him something to take. It tasted awful. And he couldn’t even get any water to wash the taste away. 


“The Nutrient Potion, though a stronger dose, will not affect the taste of the pumpkin juice,” Severus explained. “The Appetite Stimulant I can make in your favorite flavor, easier to go down. The Stomach Soother will have a mint flavor. To help settle your stomach.”


“Wicked,” Harry said, smiling. “Can you do strawberry?”


“Yes.”


Harry beamed from the stool. “Thank you, Professor Snape.” After another beat of silence, Harry spoke again, “Professor Dumbledore said there was something special happening in the Great Hall at supper. Are we going?”


“Yes, we are,” Severus answered, trying to keep the sneer out of his tone. Leave it to Albus to make sure Harry knew about it so there would be no question about them showing up.


___000___000___000

Harry walked into the Great Hall to see that the four House tables were gone, and there was one massive round table in the middle of the Hall. The House trees that lined the front of the Hall have since multiplied. It looked like the table was encased in the middle of a Christmas tree forest. Each tree was decorated with all the House colors. There weren’t any trees that were dedicated to just one House.


Harry couldn’t keep the smile off of his face as he admired each tree. 


“They are beautiful, aren’t they, Harry?”


Harry turned and faced the soft voice of the Headmaster who was talking to him. 


Still smiling, Harry said, “They are. Why only one table, Professor?”


“There aren’t many students staying for Christmas, so there was no need for such large tables,” Albus answered. 


Everyone started to file inside the Hall. 


“Why don’t you take your seat,” Albus said. 


When everyone was sitting down, Harry saw that Professor Dumbledore was right. There weren’t many of the children that stayed. Harry was the only first-year that stayed. There were two from Hufflepuff and four from Ravenclaw, all of them siblings.  


Harry didn’t talk much; he just sat and listened to everyone else. He wasn’t used to this. It was one thing while school was in session. He sat with Ron and Neville and sometimes Hermione. But this was different. It was more like a family. He started to feel like he wasn’t supposed to be at the table. He started twisting his nervous fingers in his robes and chewing on his bottom lip. He didn’t want to cause attention to himself. 


+0+0+0

The last thing Severus wanted to do was eat in the Great Hall. He loved his peace. He enjoyed eating with his godson. And that Old Coot was determined to keep him from his peace and quiet. He sent Harry up to the Great Hall before him. He would take it if he could gain even a minute more of peace. 


Knowing if he didn’t show his face soon, one of those old geezers would come, and frog march him, which was the last thing he wanted to deal with. When he stepped into the Great Hall, he saw that everyone was just getting settled, but a small child caught his eye. 


+0+0+0

A chair scraped across the floor. Harry was afraid to see who it was. He hoped it wasn’t Uncle Vernon going to hit him for sitting at the table. The child started to curl into himself. But when a hand came into his line of sight, he saw it wasn’t Uncle Vernon. Harry took a deep breath and tried to gather enough courage and look to see who was next to him. When he saw it was his safety sitting there, he wanted to jump into his arms, but he stayed seated. 


Severus didn’t want to create a scene with Harry, but he wanted to get to Harry before he had another panic attack. When he got to the child’s side, he noticed that Albus and Minerva were the only ones paying attention to Harry. They had the presence of mind not to make a big deal about it. But he mentally prepared himself for them coming to his chambers after Harry went to bed. 


When Severus freed Harry’s fingers from the confines of his robes, the Potion Master couldn’t help the warm feeling in his soul from the beaming look Harry was giving him. Once freed, Severus patted the child’s hands and straightened his chair. He decided just to sit next to Potter. Not because of how the child made him feel. No. Just to keep an eye on him. That was it. To make sure he received his potions and make sure there were no side effects.


___000___000___000

Since his safety was sitting next to him, Harry’s rapid heartbeat seemed to slow down. Harry knew that if anyone or anything tried to hurt him, his safety would chase them away. 


When the food arrived, Severus pulled the two phials from inside his coat and handed them to Harry. He saw that Harry was just holding on to the small glass containers instead of taking them. Severus glanced around the table to see if they were being noticed. When he saw that everyone was concentrating on his or her own food and conversations, he discreetly coaxed Harry into drinking them.  


Quiet conversations were happening around the table. Severus noticed Harry taking occasional glances at him while he ate. Though Harry’s plate wasn’t as full as he would have liked, Severus was happy to see that the child had more on his plate than that morning. Severus was worried about how the rest of the meal would go, remembering how Harry acted when he brought the child home from being at the Weasleys, but the rest of the meal went without incident.


Minerva tapped her spoon on her goblet to get everyone’s attention. 


Harry watched as three Professors stood up with their wands pointed toward the ceiling. Harry and the renaming students watched as Professors Sinistra, Vector, and Flitwick changed the look of the ceiling.


Flitwick made the ceiling disappear. The snow was falling. It appeared to float down to the table, but there was no cold air. The floating candles were moved to give a clear view of the sky. 


Aurora Sinistra, the Astronomy professor, waved her wand, making it appear that the stars were closer. She manipulated each star constellation to look like they were moving as if they told a story.


Harry smiled as he recognized a few of the constellations. They were a few that he didn’t have a problem finding during his Astronomy class. He recognized the Capricorn and Pegasus. Orion was easier to spot. The three stars that represented Orion’s belt were the first thing Harry could locate in his first Astronomy class. Harry loved to stargaze. It was one of the few things that brought the child peace while he was living with his relatives. It would be a calm, clear night on those occasions when he was locked out of the house. He would lie on the grass and look up at the stars. He would wish he could fly away and live amongst the stars. Harry couldn’t keep the smile off his face. He was brought back to the present by hearing Professor McGonagall tap on her goblet with her knife.       


“Everyone,” Albus said. “I want to wish each of you a very happy Christmas. I know you, children, would like to have time to open your presents, so your breakfast will be brought to your Common Rooms.”


Harry looked up at the ceiling and saw that it was normal. Well, normal for Hogwarts.


Cheers rang out in the Hall. Harry still smiled as he watched the other students cheer at the Headmaster’s announcement. Harry wasn’t worried about gifts. He’d never got them before, and he wasn’t expecting them now. But he was very grateful for one thing. He was going to be with his safety. His Godfather.


“Well, have a wonderful night,” the Headmaster said. “And don’t stay up too long tonight.”


There was a chorus of “We won’t” echoed throughout the Hall. 


___000___000___000

Severus and Harry walked back toward the dungeon. They were silent most of the way, but Severus wanted to inquire how the child felt after having the Appetite Stimulant and the higher dose of the Nutrient Potion.


“How are you feeling, Potter?” Severus asked as they turned the last corner, heading toward the entryway of his chambers. 


Harry looked up at Severus and smiled. “I’m fine. My stomach doesn’t hurt.”


Severus hummed his reply, nodding his head. 


“Professor.”


“Yes, Harry,” Severus replied as he opened the portrait.


“Are you about to do anything?”


“I am going to sit and read,” Severus answered. “You are welcome to join me if you like.”


Harry smiled, nodded, and then ran back to his room down the small hallway. 


Severus shook his head at the child’s antics as he walked over to his chair and sat down. The book he was reading while having a nightcap or tea sat on the small table next to him. But he couldn’t bring himself to start. He was thinking about how Harry looked when Albus talked about the presents they were getting. His anger with Petunia just continued to grow for how she and that monster she called a husband deprived Harry of a proper childhood.


Severus never had a big deal made for the holidays, but his mother did try. There were small gifts, but they meant the world to him. He understood they were impoverished. And while his mother was alive, he never once felt that he was unloved. 


Things changed for him after his mother died. The whole world seemed to be against him after she died. He had his best friend, Lily, by his side. But it was awful during the nights he was alone with his dad. 


Before Severus’ thoughts could take a dark turn, a small voice broke through his musings. 


“Professor Snape.”


Severus looked up and saw Harry standing at the end of the hallway, in his night clothes, holding his photo album. 


“Yes, Harry,” Severus said. He saw the child sucking in his bottom lip and just decided to call him over. “Come here, Harry.”


Harry walked over to Severus and stood in front of him. Taking a deep breath, Harry asked his question. 


“Professor, when Hagrid gave him this,” holding out the album, “he told me that you knew my mum.”


“Yes, I knew her,” Severus confirmed. 


“Uh,” Harry said in a small voice. “Can you tell me something about her? I never knew anything about them, and after looking over the pictures I always wanted to know what they were like, and–”


“Harry,” Severus called out over Harry’s talking. “Firstly, breathe.” Severus waited for a beat before continuing. “Now, I will tell you some things about your mother.”


Without giving it a second thought, Severus softly gripped the child under his arms and lifted him onto his lap. Harry curled onto Severus’ lap, with his head on his Professor’s shoulder. 


Severus opened the album to the first picture and saw that it was the one taken at the end of their fifth year. Looking at the picture, he could remember that day as if it were yesterday.


“Your mother was very bright,” Severus started. “She was kind but fierce. You never wanted to be at the fighting end of her wand. And she was fair.” Severus looked down at the child in his arms. “You have her eyes and her button nose, you know.”


Tears blurred Harry’s vision hearing that. He had something from his mother. When his aunt and uncle did talk about his parents, he was always told that he was the spitting image of his no-good father. Whenever he had the chance, he would stare at himself in the mirror, trying to picture his dad. But learning that he had features like his mum was the second-best gift he could have received. 


Severus told story after story. He continued until he felt Harry’s breathing even out. In between telling Harry a story, Severus conjured a warm flannel, took off the child’s glasses, and wiped the tear tracks from his cheeks. He then accio’ed a blanket and covered Harry, preventing the child from getting a chill.  


Severus was still holding Harry when the flames in the fireplace turned green, and Albus and Minerva stepped out. Severus knew they would make a trip to his chambers from how they looked at them during supper. 


“Things look tranquil,” Albus said as he walked over to the sofa and sat down. “Telling Harry Christmas stories.”


“If you must know,” Severus said. “Harry wanted to know a little bit about his mother. Those wretched people never said anything to Harry about her.”


“They have been dealt with,” Albus confirmed. The last thing Albus wanted was for Severus to pay the Dursleys a visit. 


“I must say,” Minerva stated, walking around the room, admiring the different ornaments. “You’ve decorated this place very well. I didn’t think you had it in you. So festive.”


Severus snarled at the Transfiguration Professor. “Look, you old cat–”


“Ah-ah,” Minerva softly admonished as she sat down next to Albus. “Temper temper. And you mustn’t wake young Harry.”


Severus wondered if he would be justified in obliviating those two old geezers just for being annoying. 


“Severus,” Albus said. “As happy as I am that you’ve joined the rest of the world in decorating for the holidays, there is a more pertinent reason for our being down here.”


“What happened during supper?” Severus asked knowingly. 


“Exactly,” Albus confirmed. “What we witnessed was very disturbing.”


“You didn’t seem that surprised by young Harry’s actions,” Minerva stated.


Severus looked down at the sleeping child in his arms. “Well, it is not the first time.”


There was a beat of silence before Minerva asked, “Can you tell us what happened? We need to know.”


“I agree,” Severus replied. “When he spent the day with the Weasleys, I was called because Harry had a panic attack. I haven’t gotten the chance to talk with the child about what could’ve caused it. But I’m figuring it has something to do with the manner in which we had supper as to be a possible trigger.”


Both Minerva and Albus looked forlorn. The poor child had been through so much. 


“The potions you gave him,” Albus inquired. “What are they for?”


“I’m sure you’ve noticed how much Potter eats,” Severus said, “or rather doesn’t eat.” 


“It’s not that much,” Minerva agreed. 


“No, it’s not,” Severus agreed. “He’s not getting nearly enough nutrients. Something else to chalk up to his relatives.” He rubbed his hand up and down Harry’s back as he tightened his hold around the child’s waist. “At the beginning of the year, Poppy put him on a Nutrient potion, putting it in his pumpkin juice. But he needs a more potent dosage. We’ve also discussed the amount of food, so he’s on an appetite stimulant and a stomach soother.”


After another moment of quiet between the adults, Albus finally said, “Well, we will leave you, Severus.” Albus stood and extended his hand to Minerva. 


They both walked over to Severus. Minerva put her hand on Severus’ shoulder. “I know we tease you about your relationship with Harry, but I’m so proud of you. You could have easily completely ignored the child.”


“Yeah,” Severus replied, looking down at the child. “I don’t think the boy would have let me if I tried.”


A huff of laughter escaped Minerva's lips as she patted Severus’ shoulder. “Good night, Severus. We’ll see you first thing in the morning.”  


Severus’ brows creased as he looked up at the Deputy Headmistress. 


“Excuse me?”


“You didn’t think we would miss Harry opening gifts on his first Christmas, did you?”


Minerva’s laugh could be heard as she stepped through the green flames.


“Meddling cat,” Severus grumbled. “Can’t you give me a moment's peace?”


“Now, now, Severus,” Albus soothed, smiling. “You know I have not missed a single Christmas with you. And I don’t plan to any time soon. Having Harry here is just a plus.”


Albus put his hand on Severus’ shoulder, leaned down, and kissed the crown of Severus’ head. 


“Don’t stay up too late,” Albus said as he walked towards the fireplace. “You know Santa has to bring your presents as well.”


“Get out of here, old man,” Severus said, nowhere near his usual growl. It still amazed him that someone cared about him.


After Albus left through the green flames, Severus looked down at the sleeping child in his arms. Never. Not in a million years would he believe he would be sitting by the fireside, cradling Potter’s son. But here he was. This child was not like anyone he’d ever come in contact with. With everything Harry had been through, he still could love. 


Severus wished he could be so pure. He was a bitter man. It was not a secret. It was terrible when he lost his mum; it was horrific when he lost his best friend. He’d never admit this to anyone, not even the old coot, but Albus coming into his life and adopting him was the best thing that ever happened to him.


Severus carried his precious cargo to the child’s room. Harry’s room was a typical boy’s room. There were discarded clothes on the floor. It led him to believe that in Harry’s rush to come back into the living room, he threw his clothes on the floor instead of folding them.


Waving his hand over Harry’s bed, the duvet turned down so he could lay the child down. After covering Harry and tucking the duvet against him, so he wouldn’t get a chill, he brushed his fingers softly through Harry’s hair. He went around the room, picking up the discarded clothing and putting the child’s shoes against the door.


“Good night, Harry,” Severus said softly as he closed the door, leaving a small crack just in case. 


Severus walked into his bedroom and went to his dresser. In the back, behind a few bottles, was a small cauldron stuffie with a stirrer hanging out. Severus couldn’t help but reminisce on how he came about receiving this small gift.


During his second year, Severus stayed in the Great Hall after Christmas Eve supper. He liked looking at the decorations. And the constellation story the professor told was still on the ceiling. Plus, he wasn’t in a hurry to get back to Slytherin’s Common room. 


“Beautiful, isn’t it?” A soft voice asked, bringing Severus from his thoughts. 


Severus turned and saw the Headmaster walking towards him. 


“Sorry, Headmaster,” Severus said quickly as he stood to face the man. 


“No apologies required,” Albus soothed, holding his hands up. “I, too, like to admire the decorations and scenery in here. But I must inquire; why are you here? Shouldn’t you be in your common room?”


Severus sighed as he lowered his head. “Yes, sir.”


Albus saw the child’s shoulders drop. He didn’t know why the child seemed so nervous about returning to his Common room. He didn’t want to force the child. Albus refused to make the mistake he saw happen when Tom was a student here.


“How would you like some hot chocolate?” Albus asked. “I find that hot chocolate is the best for ending the day before Christmas.” Albus held out his hand for Severus to follow. 


The child shrugged his shoulders and followed the Headmaster. When he sat down on one of the plush purple chairs, the Headmaster waved his hand, and two of the biggest mugs of hot chocolate appeared on his desk. 


The mug was filled with not only hot chocolate, but it had a massive mound of mini marshmallows as well as sprinkles and chocolate syrup. 


Severus couldn’t believe what he was seeing. He’d had hot chocolate before. He and Lily would have a cup when they hid in one empty classroom to study. It was safer there than in the library.


“Sir.” Severus couldn’t keep the astonishment from his tone. “What am I supposed to do with that?” His eyes never left the mug.


“Why drink it, of course,” Albus said with a twinkle in his eyes. “Having hot chocolate any other way than this is criminal.”


“But it’s so much,” Severus argued. 


Albus laughed loudly. “Drink as much as you can. I assure you, you will enjoy it.”


Severus took a sip and had to agree it was delicious. He’d have to let Lily try it when she returned to school. 


There was a comfortable silence between man and child before Albus asked, “Are you expecting many gifts tomorrow?”


“No, sir,” Severus answered. He was used to not getting presents. His mother tried every year. He didn’t blame her. It was his father that made it difficult. Kind of hard to buy gifts if his father steals the money to go out gambling. 


Albus didn’t comment on that. He didn’t like the nonchalant way Severus answered. No child should not have at least one present for Christmas. After they finished their drinks, Albus escorted Severus on his way back to the Slytherin Common room. “Get some sleep, young Severus. Things will look brighter tomorrow.” Albus watched as Severus climbed into the entrance. 


Severus remembered waking up the next day and seeing the stuffed cauldron on his nightstand with a note attached. Severus unfolded the note he still kept, rereading it. 


“No child should not have a present on Christmas. Something small, but I hope you like it. A”


“Meddling old coot,” Severus mumbled as he went into his en suite to get ready for bed.


___000___000___000

Harry woke up and snuggled into a small ball, soaking up the warmth and softness of his bed. This was the first Christmas he didn’t have to wake up to someone banging on his cupboard door, making him start breakfast. 


He lay in bed for a while, pondering what he could do for his Professor. When they went out on the first day of break, Harry didn’t get a chance to get Professor Snape anything. A thought popped into Harry’s head. He knew what he was going to do. Quickly, he got up, and after rushing to the bathroom, he went to the small kitchen. 


“Tami,” Harry whispered. He didn’t want to wake Professor Snape. 


A small pop revealed the tiny elf standing next to him. 


“Master Harry,” Tami greeted with a smile. 


Wrapping his fingers in his pajama top,, “Can you help me? I want to make breakfast for Professor Snape.”


“I make it,” Tami insisted.


“I know,” Harry agreed. He learned earlier in the school year that the house elves made the meals and did the laundry. “But I never got to get my safety a present.”


Tami pulled her ears nervously but reluctantly agreed. She snapped her fingers. Everything Harry needed for a full English breakfast appeared on the counter. 


Harry smiled and got started. 


+0+0+0

Severus loved Christmas, not that he would tell anyone, especially Albus. It was the one day he didn’t have to worry about getting up early. He permitted himself to sleep in. He would need the extra rest because he knew soon two old geezers would descend to his sanctuary.


Severus turned to his side when he smelled it. It was impossible. Couldn’t they give him until after he at least had his coffee? Severus groused as he got up and put on his robe.


When he opened his bedroom door, the aroma of sausage, eggs, and beans filled his chambers. He had a scathing remark on the tip of his tongue but swallowed it when he saw what was happening in his kitchen. 


With Tami’s help, Harry made what appeared as an English breakfast.


“May I ask what’s going on in here?” Severus asked, leaning on the doorframe.


Harry turned around in surprise but grinned when he saw his safety. “Happy Christmas, Professor.”


“Same to you, Harry,” Severus replied, walking into the kitchen. “You made all this?”


“Yeah,” Harry beamed. “I didn’t have anything to give you, so I thought I’d make breakfast.”


“Totally unnecessary,” Severus said, rubbing the top of Harry’s head, “but thank you. Why don’t we let Tami finish, and we go and get dressed for the day?”


Tami replied before Harry could object, “Yes, sir, Master Sev’us. I finish your good work, Master Harry.”


Severus wrapped his arm around Harry’s shoulders, and the two walked out of the small kitchen.


“But this was my present to you,” Harry argued softly. “I didn’t get–”


Severus knelt in front of Harry, stopping him from continuing. “I appreciate your gift. It was very thoughtful. Though I don’t like the idea of you cooking, I am touched that you went through all this for me. And I thank you.” Severus brought the small child into a hug. When he let him go, he stood back up. 


“Now, go get ready,” Severus sat, patting his bottom. “I’m sure the Headmaster and your Head of House will be coming down here soon.”


“They’re coming here?” Harry asked, surprised, walking down the small hallway.


“Yes, unfortunately,” Severus sighed. “They tend to believe that I want to be bothered by their incessant meddling.”


While Harry was getting ready in his room, Severus waved his hand, causing the deceptively bare corner, behind his chair, of the room to show its true appearance. Severus knew he would never hear the end of it when those two old geezers showed up and saw the decorated tree and the few presents under it. 


Severus walked closer to the tree, inspecting the decorations. It wasn’t as grand as the trees in the Great Hall, but it was festive. He’d done it while Harry was asleep after they went to Diagon Alley. He didn’t want to admit he was actually nervous to see Harry’s reaction to the tree. Severus didn’t feel this unsettling when he got his Potions Mastery. Why does impressing an eleven-year-old mean so much to him?


Tami finished the rest of breakfast in record time. Severus walked over to see everything that Harry had prepared. It was a full English breakfast: sausage, beans, grilled mushrooms and tomatoes, eggs, baked potato squares, and toast.


“Oh, wow!”


Harry’s exclamation grabbed Severus’ attention. When he turned around, he saw Harry slowly walking towards the tree. Severus followed slower, wanting to take in Harry’s reaction.


Harry walked over to the tree. There were clear baubles that looked like smoke, but when he got closer, it revealed the true gift inside. Each bauble had a different scene in them. 


One was of Harry catching the snitch during the Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff game. Another was of Harry and Fang roughhousing around in the snow. Others showed Harry having fun with Ron and the other dormmates.


Each one made Harry smile. 


Harry reached out to touch one of the baubles when his foot hit something making a crinkling sound. Looking down, Harry saw wrapped packages. The child’s brow furrowed as he got down on his knees to inspect the packages further. Slowly reaching for one of the packages, Harry read the small tag taped on it. 


To Harry; From Professor Snape. 


Harry had a gift. He actually had a gift. Harry quickly put the package back where he saw it. He didn’t want to get in trouble. What if it wasn’t for him? What if it was a trick? It couldn’t truly be for him. He was a Freak. He didn’t get gifts. 


Severus walked out of the small kitchen area when he heard Harry walk out of his room. He watched as Harry walked over to admire the decorations on the tree. When he saw his attention turn toward the gifts, he was about to give Harry permission to go ahead and open them when he saw the panicked look come over the child. He rushed to the child’s side. 


“Harry. Harry,” Severus called out. “Look at me,” kneeling beside the boy.


Harry started mumbling his apologies for bothering the gifts.


“Harry, Harry, they’re yours,” Severus confirmed. “There is no reason to apologize.”


“But I’m a freak,” Harry cried. “I don’t get gifts.”


Severus stood up, walked over to his chair, and brought the child with him. He stood Harry in front of him.


Harry was wrapping his fingers around his shirttail and biting his bottom lip. 


“Where are you, Harry?” Severus asked, freeing the child’s bottom lip.


“Hogwarts,” Harry answered.


“That’s right,” Severus nodded, freeing Harry’s cloth-confided fingers. “And who am I?”


“Professor Snape,” Harry answered.


“That’s right,” Severus replied. “I am not your idiotic relatives who felt the need to abuse you. Now, what have I said about my godson?”


Harry’s bottom lip, once again, sucked in between his teeth. And, once again, Severus freed it, asking the question again.


“Your godson is not a freak,” Harry whispered. 


“That’s right,” Severus agreed. “You are not a freak. And I will keep telling you that until you believe it. Now, there are presents under that tree.”


“Yes, sir.”


“Don’t you think they need to be opened?” Severus asked.


“Are they really for me?” Harry asked. This time there was a small bit of hopefulness in his tone.


“They are really for you,” Severus confirmed, nodding his head.


Harry collapsed against Severus, wrapping his arms around the Potion Master’s neck. Severus returned the hug. 


“Well, isn’t this a beautiful sight to see this Christmas morning?” Albus said.


Severus and Harry turned to see Albus and Minerva standing at the door. Severus had a snarl on his face at the intruders while Harry was grinning. 


“Good morning, Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall,” Harry said. “Happy Christmas.”


“And a Happy Christmas to you as well, dear Harry,” Albus said. “And how are you doing this fine morning?”


“I got presents,” Harry said excitedly. “I got presents.”


“Very good, Harry,” Albus said. “I see you have breakfast ready.”


“Yeah, I made it for Professor Snape,” Harry said proudly. His chest puffed out with pride. 


A wary look was exchanged between the adults as Harry and Severus walked toward the table. 


“Have you eaten, Professor?” Harry asked.


“No,” Minerva answered. “Not yet.”


“I made enough,” Harry said. “You want some too?”


“Thank you, Harry dear,” Minerva cooed. 


They sat down at the table. Two phials appeared in front of Harry’s plate. They ate in comfortable silence. Once the meal was finished, they converged to the sitting room. Harry hovered by the presents, still a little wary of them. 


“You can open your presents, Harry,” Severus said.


Harry got on his knees on the floor and reached for one of the boxes. It was wrapped in white paper with Quidditch balls flying around. Harry remembered seeing his cousin, Dudley, rip through the wrapping, having strips of paper all over that Harry would have to clean up afterward. He didn’t want to do that. Harry didn’t want to make a huge mess. He carefully unwrapped his present—safety gear for Quidditch.


“If I have to suffer watching you almost break your neck every time you play, you might as well be protected,” Severus complained.


Harry had a huge grin as he cradled his gift in his arms. “Thank you, Professor.”


Harry also received a Quill starter kit, owl treats for Hedwig, a book on Defensive spells, and Exploding Snaps game set. 


“Thank you, Professor,” Harry said.


“I have something for you, Harry,” Minerva said. 


“Really?”


“Yes,” Minerva replied, waving her wand out in front of her. A long package appeared before her. And she floated it towards Harry.


Severus knew from the shape of the package he wasn’t going to like what was inside. When Harry opened the package, another snarl appeared on Severus’ face. 


“Oh, wow!” Harry exclaimed. “It’s the new Nimbus 2000.” Harry jumped around the room. This was the newest broom on the market.


“Have you lost your mind, you old cat?” Severus snarled. “The boy is already reckless with the school broom. Why would you give the child one of the fastest brooms on the market?”


“It will be fine, Severus,” Albus soothed.


“Fine?” Severus retorted.


“Do you not want me to have it, Professor?” Harry asked, his face dropping. “I won’t take it if you don’t want me to.”


Severus rubbed his hands over his face. He couldn’t believe what was happening right now. Why would Minerva want to risk the safety of her Gryffindor just to possibly win the Quidditch cup?


With a deep sigh, Severus replied, “It is okay, Harry.”


A smile broke across Harry’s face. 


“At least I know your safety gear will be put to good use,” Severus said.


“Can I try it out?” Harry asked. His excitement returned to full steam. 


“Yes,” Severus said. “Go get your winter robe, hat, and gloves.”


Harry rushed out of the room towards his room.


“You have seen the child open his gifts,” Severus groused. “Are we done now? I would like some peace.”


“Yes, Severus,” Albus said, smiling. “We’ll leave you and Harry to enjoy the rest of your day. Come, Minerva.”


Harry returned with his things just as Albus and Minerva stood up.


“Have fun with your new broom, Harry,” Albus said. 


“Thank you, Professor Dumbledore,” Harry replied as he put on his winter clothes. 


Albus and Minerva walked out of their chambers.


“You’re coming too?” Harry asked.


“Of course,” Severus said. “Finish getting ready.”


___000___000___000

Harry loved his new broom. It was faster than the school broom. He had better control. It didn’t take much effort to make turns or stop. He made figure 8s, loop-to-loop, vertical climbs, and weaving in and around the stands.


Severus watched as his godson flew recklessly around the Quidditch pitch. Thanks to Minerva, Severus knew his hair would be completely white by the end of the school year.


“Come down, Harry,” Severus called out.


Harry completed a figure 8 before flying toward his Godfather. 


“Did you see me?” Harry asked when he landed.


“I saw your recklessness,” Severus said. 


“It was so much fun,” Harry beamed. Severus’ statement didn't deter his good mood.


The two of them walked back towards the castle. When they passed Hagrid’s hut, Harry asked, “Can we go visit Hagrid? I want to check on Fang.”


“I don’t see why not,” Severus answered as they changed course. 


Hagrid walked out of his hut as Severus and Harry got closer. 


“Hey, Hagrid,” Harry called out. 


“Heya, Harry, Professor Snape,” Hagrid said. “Happy Christmas to you.”


Fang ran out of the hut, coming towards Harry. 


“Hey, Fang,” Harry said excitedly, wrapping his arms around Fang’s neck just as the dog got close to him. 


Severus picked up Harry’s discarded broom. 


Harry roughhoused with Fang for a bit before Severus called an end to it. They said their goodbyes before heading back toward the castle. 


“Can I go visit Hedwig?” Harry asked when they were in the castle.


“Yes,” Severus said, helping Harry remove his winter clothes. “Be back in time for dinner.”


“Thanks,” Harry said as he turned to head for the stairs. 


Severus was heading toward his chambers when he felt a small body collide with him. Small hands gripped his stomach while he felt a pointy forehead in his back. Severus moved his hand behind him, rubbing Harry’s back. 


“Harry?”


“Thank you,” Harry said, his voice muffled by Severus’ robe.


Severus didn’t respond; he just rubbed the child’s back. 


“Go be with your owl,” Severus said. “Then come back for supper.”


Harry gave another tight squeeze before letting go and running up the stairs. 


Harry was on the third floor when he ran into Professor Quirrell. 


“Ah, Mr. P-potter,” Quirrell said. “How is your Christmas g-going?”


“Hi, Professor,” Harry said. “It’s okay.”


Harry had been wary of the Professor since his scar hurt when he bumped into Quirrell. He didn’t like to be alone with him. 


“Well, if you’ll excuse me, Professor,” Harry said, side-stepping around Quirrell. “I’ll be going now.”


“What’s the rush?” Quirrell asked. 


There was a growl that echoed throughout the corridor. Quirrell and Harry looked down at the end of the corridor to see a large dog. Harry took off running in the opposite direction.


Harry loved playing with Fang, but he wasn’t ignorant of the dangers of unknown dogs. Harry knew that Fang was friendly, but this dog didn’t look friendly. It looked mean. 


The dog was mangy-looking, and patches of fur were missing. Its teeth were a dull yellow, and lines of slobbery drool pooled from his mouth. The dog started barking and running after the man and child in the hallway. 


Harry saw a room with the door partly open. He ran inside and shut the door, hoping the dog wouldn't find him. He kept his ear to the door, ensuring the dog didn’t follow him. He could hear the clicking sound of the dog’s paws on the floor outside the door.


Harry wanted his safety. 


TBC