Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Potter's Army

"What?" exclaimed Ron. "What are you…"

Blood traitor whelp…he wanted to hurt them—No! NO! His fists balled from both panic and malice. His scar was stabbing, throbbing, trying to burst open, he was angry—he was afraid—he had to warn them, but if he lost concentration for even an instant, it would happen—he was splitting in two—

"Harry! What's wrong!"

He turned toward the speaker. The Mudblood—Hermione!—was wide-eyed, staring at him. No. NO! GET OUT! I WON'T LET YOU—He'd kill her. He would destroy them all… "N-No…not here…run, please, run…"

"Harry!" So many faces, staring, crowding around now, he would hurt them – he had to warn them!

"Run!" he gasped. It was coming, the creature, to crush him in its coils, he could feel it rising up inside his head—he would destroy Dumbledore's charges—"Get away!"

"What's the matter with his eyes?"

"Oh my God—PROFESSOR!"

Fight it fight it fight it! Harry turned his face toward the head table – the werewolf and the traitor were rising to their feet—help me…make it stop—Remus and Snape saw his face, and both men vaulted right over the table, sprinting toward him.

"OUT! All of you, OUT!" Snape roared.

Our moment of reckoning is coming, traitor… "Help me…"

Harry's scar burst open. The red-eyed creature was rising; through the roaring in his ears he heard the Great Hall erupting in a chorus of screams.

"He's turning into You-Know-Who!"

"Harry! Fight him!"

"Run! Get out! Get away from him!"

"POTTER! CLOSE…YOUR….MIND!"

The coils were closing, he could hardly breathe, the world was going black, his scar was tearing open… "I…can't…" He could barely see Snape and Remus only feet in front of him.

"Hermione, Ron, Ginny, out of here, now!" Remus was yelling. "Severus, help him!"

"I have a better idea." Despite the agony from being slowly crushed, Harry gasped as Snape suddenly grabbed Ron, pinning his best friend in front of him.

"Hey, what are you—let me go! Harry?" Ron fought to break free, staring at Harry in shock.

"Ssseverussss!" Harry heard himself hiss.

"Let him go—let him—" Hermione rushed toward Ron, but Snape pointed his wand at her.

"Stupefy!" She collapsed at Snape and Ron's feet.

Remus drew his wand. "Snape, what the hell are you—"

"Shut up, Lupin!" Snape pointed his wand at Remus, but kept his eyes on Harry. "Push him out, Potter! If you want your friends to survive this day, push…him…out!"

The coils were trying to blind him, but Harry could still see Ron, held tightly by Snape, and Hermione on the floor. He couldn't take his eyes off them. Voldemort would kill them, both of them, all of them…No…

The creature surged around him, trying to smother him, and the world was growing very dim, but Harry could still see them even as his mouth moved against his own will. "The boy is too weak, Severus."

RON! "R-Ron…"

"Harry?" The world seemed to brighten a little with the sound of Ron's voice. Harry could just barely see him, shaking and terrified, in Snape's iron grasp, staring at the red-eyed thing that was supposed to be his best friend. "You can do it! Fight him, Harry!"

The creature tried to hiss; Harry sucked air past his teeth in a wheezing breath. Hermione was awake, sitting up and watching him with intense, desperate eyes. "Come on, Harry. Come on!"

It hurt…it was killing him…crushing him…hissing in rage at his resistance…he couldn't, he couldn't, it was too strong…You cannot win, pitiful child! I will destroy them! hissed a voice inside his head.

Ron and Hermione…not them…I—won't—LET YOU! Harry let out a scream of agony that might have been the creature's or his own, then his head exploded—or at least, he thought it had. Light and color erupted in front of his eyes, his ears rang, but the coils and red eyes had gone. Then he was falling forward.

Someone caught him, holding him upright, and he caught a blurry glimpse of red hair. "Harry, my God, are you—"

"Here, Ron." Other hands came to guide Harry back onto one of the benches. He slumped in their grasp, shaking, as someone handed him his glasses.

The first person he noticed when he put them on was Snape, staring down at him. Without raising his head from Ron's shoulder, he muttered dully, "I hate you."

Hermione was sitting on Harry's other side, and she wrapped her arms around him. Harry went rigid, gasping, and she quickly pulled away. "I'm sorry, I—"

"It's okay," he groaned, shutting his eyes. He's gone, he's gone, he's gone! "I just…he was crushing me."

"Clear the area, Miss Weasley," Snape barked at Ginny.

"Sod off, Professor," Ginny replied, and knelt on the floor in front of Harry, putting a hand on his knee. "All right?"

"Till he tries again," Harry murmured. "Next time…just run. If he ever beats me, he'll kill you."

"You beat him, Harry," Hermione said firmly. "You won."

"Severus, I'll see to Harry, if you'll deal with crowd control," said Lupin from somewhere nearby.

"Gladly—Longbottom, Lovegood, get back here!"

"Harry!" Neville dodged Snape without even hesitating and ran toward them, Luna at his side. "Are you okay? What happened?"

"Lord Voldemort possessed him, of course," said Luna with eerie calm. "But he's better now."

"Harry?" Neville asked uncertainly.

Harry waved weakly in Luna's direction. "She's pretty much got it figured."

"But are you all right? You look…hurt."

"I'll be okay," Harry sighed, keeping his eyes shut. No green tinged the darkness, for once.

"Ron!" Ginny's hand left Harry's knee. "It's Hermes!" Harry opened his eyes and sat up as Percy's screech owl flew down to Ginny. She took the letter and hastily unrolled it. "Oh no." She raised frightened eyes to meet Harry's. "No, you won't."

"What?" exclaimed Hermione.

"Professor Lupin!" Ginny thrust the note into his hands. "From Percy!"

Snape came back, and he and Lupin scanned the note. "Damn," Snape growled, dropping it.

Ron caught it as the two teachers began muttering urgently to each other. "Harry…" he breathed.

Harry leaned over Ron's shoulder. The note had been written very quickly in a scrawl unlike Percy's usual tidy script.

Fudge knows. On his way. Dumbledore & others detained.
GET HARRY OUT!

"If we give Harry to Fudge, we may as well give him to Voldemort," Lupin hissed to Snape.

"I know," Snape snapped. "The Headmaster or McGonagall could contest this; neither of us has the authority."

"Then we've no choice, Severus. You remember what Albus—"

"Yes, yes!" Snape glared over his shoulder at Harry. "We have no choice. Potter, on your feet. We're leaving."

"Wha—" Harry had no time to protest as Ron and Ginny pulled him upright. He was startled to see a large number of DA members hovering by the Ravenclaw table. "What's going on…"

"Fudge means to take you, and we've no way to stop him without Dumbledore," said Lupin. Hermione broke away from them and ran out the side door.

"So where will we take him?" asked Ginny.

Remus paused and met her eyes. "We are taking him where he'll be safe, Ginny. You and Ron and the others are staying here."

"No way!" Ron tightened his grip on Harry's arm. "We're not—"

Remus leaned toward them. "We're going outside the law, Ron. It's the only way to protect him. You can't come with us without risking your whole family. You cannot know where we're going!"

"But—"

They had lingered too long. Professor Smythe-Wellington came back into the Great Hall with milling students peering after her. "Lupin, Snape, what is all this?"

The professors in question exchanged glances. Something flashed in Smythe-Wellington's eyes, and Harry saw her hand shift toward her wand. "Priscilla, we—" Lupin began.

The doors burst open. Students gasped as Aurors poured into the room, wands drawn as if storming a Death Eater meeting. Ron and Ginny yelped in dismay and squeezed closer to Harry, while Lupin and Snape stood in front of him. The Aurors lined the walls, guarding the doors as Fudge strode pompously into the room, with Percy at his side.

Lupin stepped closer to them. That strange, dark look was back in his eyes. "If he tries to lay a hand on Harry, I'll kill him."

"Lupin, shut up!" hissed Snape. "Your condition alone gives them reason to hex you."

"What now?"

"I'll do my best." With surprising dignity, Snape motioned Smythe-Wellington aside and said curtly, "Good evening, Minister. I trust you have a good reason for this disruptive entry?"

Fudge stopped in surprise, glancing around the Great Hall. Seeing only scared students and professors who were not Dumbledore, he relaxed and said, "I should have thought that was obvious. We received a report that Lord You-Know-Who had entered Hogwarts in the form of Harry Potter. We're here to take this young man into Ministry custody." He smirked. "And as I don't believe you are headmaster here, I recommend that you step aside."

Snape was a good deal taller than Fudge, Harry noticed. He did not step aside. "I am not headmaster, but as senior amongst the professors in this room, I have authority to act on behalf of the headmaster by requesting the grounds upon which you are removing a student from this school."

Obviously, Fudge hadn't expected any obstacles without Dumbledore there. Harry glanced around at the faces above the red robes…no sign of Moody, Tonks, or anyone else from the Order. If Fudge managed to overrule Snape…Let Dumbledore come, please, let them get back…

"Well…" Fudge dithered. Behind him, Percy's fists were clenched. "He got taken over by You-Know-Who, for God's sake!"

"And the Dark Lord possessing a student is regarded by you to be grounds for arresting that student?" Snape asked smoothly.

"Of course! He's a danger to everyone!" Harry cringed at the sound of murmurs of agreement from some of the students in the room.

But Snape replied, "It may interest you to know that Potter fought off the attack."

"What!"

"The Dark Lord did attempt to possess him, but as I myself, along with Professor Lupin and numerous students witnessed, the attack failed."

"This time," muttered someone.

"Exactly!" Fudge exclaimed. "We can't take the risk." He folded his arms. "In any case, Professor Snape, this is a Ministry order." He brandished a scroll. "You have no say in it." He gestured at the Aurors, and several started toward Harry.

"No!" Ginny cried, pulling closer to Harry. "You can't do this!" She drew her wand. So did Ron. And Harry saw Remus and Snape about to do the same.

"No, don't!" he blurted. They'd lose. Ginny and Ron would be expelled, and Remus would be arrested or maybe even killed. He had no choice… "I'll…it's all right, I'll go."

"Oh no, you won't!" Ron, Ginny, and Neville chorused.

Fudge smiled. "Children, children, contain yourselves—"

"What'll you do to him?" Ron shouted. "Give him to Voldemort, that's what!" Fudge and Percy jumped.

"I-I'll do no such—"

"You blame Harry for all this, and now you just want to get rid of him!"

"He's a bloody troublemaker!" Fudge exploded. "And don't think I don't know about your family's mooning about him—"

"Minister," muttered Percy tightly.

Fudge caught himself and smiled. "In any case, young man, the decision is made. Now you and your sister may either step aside or force my Aurors to disarm you."

"Oh, I wouldn't order that if I were you, Minister,"said a voice from a doorway.

Everyone turned. Stepping smoothly past the Aurors guarding the door, with Hermione at his heels, was Murdo McGonagall. He surveyed the confrontation and strode over to flank Snape. "And…just who are you?" Fudge blustered.

"Murdo McGonagall, Minister, University of Edinburgh." Judging by the intakes of breath, and the way Fudge faltered, that name must carry quite a bit of weight.

"Mr…McGonagall…" Fudge looked like a caught fish. "I didn't know you were at Hogwarts."

"My office was inconveniently demolished in the Edinburgh Death Eater attack," said Mr. McGonagall dismissively. "Now, I gather the Ministry wishes to remove a student from the custody of Hogwarts without the approval of the headmaster?"

"I don't need Dumbledore's approval!" Fudge blustered.

"On the contrary," said Mr. McGonagall in an amused tone. "If the removal in any way places the student at risk of harm, the headmaster must personally sign his release."

"I…I…"

"The boy will be perfectly safe," said an Auror that Harry recognized as Dawlish.

"He will not!" Ron snapped, releasing Harry to step toward Mr. McGonagall. "Fudge's got it in for him!"

"Ron!" Percy said in a loud, scandalized tone. "What are you suggesting? Minister, I do apologize for my brother—"

"No need, Weasley. You're not to blame—"

Mr. McGonagall raised his eyebrows at Ron. "Indeed, what are you suggesting, young man?"

Ron swallowed hard, but met the man's gaze. "He's been out to get Harry ever since Harry reported Voldemort was back!"

"You can't prove that, boy!" Fudge retorted.

"Specifics, Mr. Weasley?" pressed Mr. McGonagall.

"Well…" Ron hesitated.

From behind the wizard barrister, Hermione said delicately, "The dementors, Ron."

"Dementors!" Ron exclaimed. "Umbridge sent dementors after Harry, and Fudge put him on trial for defending himself!"

"A hearing?"

"No, a trial, in front of the whole Wizengamot!"

"Rather unorthodox. Anything else?"

"The Cruciatus curse Umbridge tried to use," said Ginny, not moving from Harry's side.

"Well…I'm not responsible for an Undersecretary's deeds—"

"You said you'd investigate her," Neville retorted.

It was like watching a tennis match. Everyone's heads whipped back toward Fudge. "I…"

"She still has her job after all that," said Ginny. "We reported what she'd done in September, and there's never been any investigation!"

"That's got nothing to do with this!" Fudge bellowed, his eyes bulging as he pointed at Harry.

"Minister, three students have made allegations of abuses by you and your subordinates against the same student you now wish to remove. Surely, you do not wish there to be any appearance of impropriety," said Mr. McGonagall.

"Er…no…"

"Then all you need to do is send for Headmaster Dumbledore and present your case to him."

"I don't need Dumbledore's permission!" Fudge screeched.

"But you do," Mr. McGonagall stared coldly down at the posturing little man. "It is the law. And I will further advise you, sir, that it is against the law for an Auror to take part in an illegal action, even under order by a supervisor. So, if you do wish to remove Mr. Potter from Hogwarts without regard for said law, you shall have to do so yourself."

Fudge gulped. Hermione stepped from behind Mr. McGonagall and joined Ron flanking Harry. Neville stepped directly in front of him. Then, from the crowd of watching students, came Dean and Seamus, Collin and Dennis,and the entire Gryffindor Quidditch team, followed by Lavender and Parvati, Terry Boot, Michael Corner, and Cho Chang, Ernie MacMillian, Justin Finch-Fletchley, Susan Bones, and Hannah Abbot. And more students Harry barely even knew, except that they were all in the D.A. They all crowded quietly around Harry, facing the Minister of Magic, and Snape and Lupin drew their wands.

"They…" Fudge backed up, looking desperately at the Aurors. "They're threatening me!"

"As Hogwards professors, Minister, it is our duty to defend any student against unlawful removal from the school," said Lupin coldly.

Harry held his breath. It seemed that they'd all forgotten he was even there. Fudge was shaking with outrage. After what felt like forever, he whirled around and stalked toward the door, muttering, "You'll pay for this."

Just who "you" was, Harry couldn't be sure. Percy and the Aurors filed out behind him.

"I'll bet that never comes up again. He won't dare face off Dumbledore," said Ginny.

"Good thinking, Hermione," Remus sighed, putting his wand away. He looked at Mr. McGonagall. "Thank you, Murdo. We're lucky you were here."

Mr. McGonagall nodded to Remus, then glanced past him at Harry. Harry opened his mouth to say, "Thanks," but no sound came out. His mind felt as though it was drowning in mud; he couldn't put together all that had happened.

But, Mr. McGonagall seemed to understand, and he gave Harry a small smile. "She'd have my hide," was all he said, and then he left the Great Hall.

The D.A. turned as a group to face Harry. "Just what Fudge was most afraid of," muttered Ernie. As they all started to laugh, Harry tried to smile, to thank them, to say something, but he couldn't. "Hey, cheer up, Harry, we won!"

"I think Harry's had a rather long day…" said Remus, ushering them aside. "Why don't you go on to your dormitory and get some rest?"

Harry nodded and started to go, but someone snapped, "Oh, grand, now we get You-Know-Who lurking around our dormitory."

"You're not in our dormitory, Sloper, so shut up!" Ron shouted, and Neville stepped fiercely to Harry's side.

"I'm not afraid."

"Me neither," said Ron.

Seamus and Dean exchanged glances, then nodded. "Us neither."

Remus chuckled. "That's settled then."

Smythe-Wellington was watching them all with an inscrutable face. "And Potter? Does he feel safe?"

Harry wished she hadn't said that; they all looked at him again. He suddenly found the floor fascinating. He had to answer them, but he couldn't! Ron said, "We're not afraid of you."

Maybe you should be. Harry didn't look up. But they all wanted him to say it was all right, so he nodded, and everyone sighed. "Off with you now," said Professor Lupin. "All of you. And if anyone has…concerns, you are free to report them to a teacher."

With that, Harry shuffled off with an escort of dormitory-mates and teammates to Gryffindor Tower. Many of them lingered in the common room, talking excitedly, but Harry went up to bed. It was still light out, but he didn't care. But naturally, once he'd gone to bed, he couldn't sleep. He stared at the bed curtains and thought about everything that had happened.

Now the whole bloody world knew. He knew not to count his blessings that Fudge hadn't brought reporters; Malfoy, or even Sloper, would see that it got into the Prophet. And what would happen then? Fudge wouldn't be the only one who wanted Harry arrested and locked up. And then all Voldemort would have to do is possess me again, and they'd kill me.

But would it be a bad thing—not being dead, but being forced to leave Hogwarts? Ron and Ginny had now managed to incur Fudge's ire, along with Remus and the entire D.A. Not to mention that Voldemort was already after them for being Harry's friends. What good am I to them? I just stood there today. I didn't DO anything! And what would happen if Fudge found out about Percy? And Remus' job was on shaky enough ground as it was…

Everyone knew. About the visions, the possessions, everything. No one would be able to look at Harry without expecting to see Voldemort—and Harry couldn't be sure that they wouldn't. Either way, I'm trapped.

He was jolted out of his brooding by the bed curtains rattling softly. Ron stuck his head through. "All right, mate?"

To the surprise of them both, Harry smiled. Ron frowned, and Harry explained, "How many times a day do people ask me that?"

He was even more surprised when Ron didn't laugh, or even grin back, but instead hopped onto the foot of Harry's bed and shut the curtains behind him. He looked so serious as he cast a Silencing Charm on the curtains that Harry half-wondered if it was Hermione under a Polyjuice Potion. But Ron fidgeted in a typically Ron fashion before looking at Harry and muttering, "We're worried."

Harry stacked his pillows under his back so he could sit up while staying under the bedspread. He felt cold a lot lately. "I don't blame you," he finally said. "Never knowing if I'm going to faint or turn into Voldemort at any minute—"

"Oh, bugger Voldemort!" Ron burst out, so that Harry jumped and nearly fell out of bed. "I'm worried about you!"

Harry stared at him, simply confused. Normally, he was the one to go mental at a second's notice, but Ron looked halfway between strangling him and bursting into tears. "I…what do you…what are you talking about?"

"You're my best friend in the whole bloody world, and lately, it's as if…you're not all there," Ron said, in a desperate tone that scared Harry a little. "And I'm not talking about the visions and possessions and green spells and stuff, I mean…you act…lost! Last year we understood why you were upset, trying to warn them and no one believing you—stupid Ministry," he muttered. Then he went on, "But this year, it's…not people, or even the world, it's…like you hate yourself!"

Without thinking, Harry muttered bitterly, "What's not to hate?"

"There! That's what I'm talking about!" Ron exclaimed, pointing at him. Harry blinked. "More and more, you just seem…hopeless." He fell silent for a minute, staring at Harry, then dropped his eyes and took a deep breath. "I…you see…I've been really worried ever since…Hermione told me about what happened after the attack at the Hufflepuff game."

Harry shot upright. "She—what did she tell you!" Hermione! Disobey a teacher's order!

Ron frowned at him. "I knew she was really worried about something. Ever since the attack, she's been watching you, and…finally she told me why." Ron looked almost as upset as when his siblings had been hurt. "She said you said you wished you were dead."

With a rush of relief that Hermione hadn't told Ron about the vision from Voldemort, Harry looked away and shrugged. "I was upset."

"But you still act like that sometimes. Like you're giving up. I've never seen you just…let things happen before—" Ron hastily raised a hand. "I'm not saying it's your fault, the possession and the dizzy spells, but…you don't stand up for yourself like you used to.

Harry drew his knees up to his chest, avoiding his friend's face. Ron had never been so upset with him before. Always, if Ron got angry about something, he sulked or fumed or griped, maybe ranted. But not this. Never this. But why couldn't he see…

"I'm scared, Ron," he muttered. "I guess…if I've been acting weird…everything's getting worse and worse, and I'm just scared, all the time."

Ron scooted over to the top of the bed next to him. "We're not gonna let him get you, mate. Didn't you see today? Fudge or Voldemort, it doesn't matter, we—"

"But that's just it!" Harry said in anguish, turning to face his friend. "Didn't you see what he was trying to do when he possessed me? He'd have killed everyone—starting with you…it's not me I'm scared for," he whispered.

Ron looked at the curtains uncomfortably. "Don't be scared for us, mate."

"I can't help it," Harry said miserably. "He's killing everyone I love to get to me—my parents, Sirius, even my ruddy uncle, and he's going to keep coming until he gets all of you! And now you and Ginny and Remus are on Fudge's bad side too." Harry balled his fists in frustration. "I'm sorry," he growled. "I hate life. I hate living like this. I don't know what to do. I know what the prophecy says I have to do, but…I don't know if I can. I…tried once." Ron made a startled noise, and Harry nodded. "When I found Uncle Vernon, Voldemort was there, and I…said Avada Kedavra."

The hangings rustled softly in the silent dormitory. Ron was quiet for a long time. "But it didn't work?"

Harry shrugged. "He fell, but then he got back up. He said…it was an impressive first attempt."

"Hmph. By whose standards?"

"Yeah, that's what I thought myself."

"And then what happened? I mean…" Ron blushed. "Nobody really knows what happened in the house. Remus said all he saw was Voldemort dragging you out, and you were under a spell."

Harry nodded. "Something he didn't need a wand for. It was a trance or…I don't know. Felt like I was sleepwalking."

"Were you…were you still…awake?"

"You mean, was I scared? Yeah. Terrified. But more than that…helpless. I couldn't do anything. It's still like that."

"But you're not!"

"Not helpless? Right, then why am I fainting or possessed every other minute, always having to be bloody rescued?" Harry twisted around and began pummeling the pillows. "I don't know what to do anymore. I don't know how to stop him!"

Quietly, Ron said, "You're still in school, mate. None of us know how to stop him."

"The prophecy—"

"The prophecy said you'd have power, not answers."

Harry looked at Ron and grinned. "Hermione's rubbing off on you." Ron's ears started to glow, but he grinned too.

"Then that must mean I'm right." They both chuckled. "Honestly, she didn't send me, but she's worried too. We've been talking a lot; we all hate seeing you so sad."

Harry sighed. "I'll try not to be. I'm sorry."

"Look on the bright side—after what happened at dinner, I wager even Malfoy's scared of you," said Ron. Harry forced a laugh, though he wished Malfoy would be scared of him for some other reason. "And we've got the twins' debut at Zonko's this weekend."

Harry shook off his maudlin thoughts and asked, "Are you sure you and Hermione don't want to have a date?"

Ron went just a shade lighter than the bed hangings. "Nah, there'll be time for that. Ginny'll be with us too; we thought we would all go see the demonstration, then grab Fred and George and have lunch at the Three Broomsticks."

The weight on his shoulders and the tension in his stomach finally began to ease. Harry found it becoming easier to think of tomorrow. "Sounds good. I could use some good laughs."

"We know. Ginny and Neville and Luna are working on a plan to lure Malfoy to Zonko's just in time for a, er, practical demonstration!"