Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 8 Welcome Back

Once inside Hogwarts Harry expected Snape to leave him to walk up to the infirmary on his own. But Snape said nothing as he walked with long, decisive steps in the direction of the Hospital Wing.

When they arrived at the infirmary, Madam Pomfrey was bustling around helping out several students who had minor cuts and bruises. Albus Dumbledore stood to the side and turned towards them when they entered. His long, purple-coloured robes swivelled around him with the movement. Harry thought he saw relief in the old wizard's eyes as he took in their presence.

"Harry, Severus, it's good to see you both in one piece," he said with a warm voice and a twinkle in his eyes.

Snape nodded curtly and Harry muttered a "hullo professor."

Madam Pomfrey rushed towards Harry and looked him over. "Of course, Mr. Potter. You were the only student missing from my growing collection. I'm afraid your usual bed is taken up by another student."

Harry felt his cheeks burn and ducked his head. Dumbledore chuckled and Snape rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"That's okay Madam Pomfrey, I don't intend to stay. It's just a cut," Harry offered, hoping to persuade her into letting him go shortly.

Madam Pomfrey tutted at him. "Let's first take a look at it before jumping to conclusions." She pointed at a stool near the one of the windows. "Sit."

Harry reluctantly dragged himself to the stool and sat down.

"Severus, a word with you in my office?" Dumbledore said to Snape, who nodded in return and they both turned and left the Infirmary.

Harry watched them leave and wondered what things the two men would talk about and he wished he had a way to listen in to their conversation. A jab in his shoulder brought him painfully back to his spot in the Infirmary as he let out a hiss of pain.

"Just a cut, eh?" Madam Pomfrey smirked triumphantly.

Harry visibly sagged on the stool, wishing this day would be over already.

--

Severus found himself wishing this day would be over already. His shoulders were tense and he felt an annoying headache creeping up on him from the back of his head. Knowing that this day was far from over did nothing to improve his mood. And neither did those ridiculous pleasantries Albus always insisted on exchanging at the start of every conversation.

"Lemon drop, Severus?" Albus asked merrily and held up the bowl of brightly coloured candy for Severus to take.

Severus glared at him and crossed his arms over his chest. "Cut it out, Albus. We have important things to discuss."

Albus merely nodded and moved to sit behind his desk. With a wave of his hand he indicated that Severus should take a seat as well. Severus, however, chose to stay standing feeling the need to work off some pent up energy.

Albus started off. "Thank you for bringing Harry back safely."

Severus uncrossed his arms with a huff and walked over to the window of the Headmaster's office. "That goes without saying," he waved off.

"Nevertheless," Albus replied. "I am glad you were there."

"It would not have been necessary if you had allowed me to take the boy directly to the castle," Severus said heatedly.

"Harry needs to be able to be a teenager, a chance to be normal. Besides, it helps student morale to see him on the train, just like any other student."

"When are you going to stop coddling the boy?" Severus asked sneeringly as he gripped the windowsill, still not looking at the headmaster.

"I have committed incomparable sins with regards to him Severus. I am inclined to hold his happiness and mental sanity in higher regard than I have done previously."

Severus whirled around and looked at the headmaster incredulously. "At the cost of his life?"

Albus eyes turned sad and lost their twinkle. "I wish the one would not have to be given up in favour of the other. I know the risks of course..."

"Do you? Do you truly know the risks, not only to the Potter brat, but to other students as well? And to your staff?"

"Do not presume me to be ignorant of all the risks connected to this war, as it falls upon my shoulders to continuously weigh them and make decisions based on them. It is a burden I would not wish upon anyone else." Albus admonished with a stern note to his voice.

Severus glared at him for a moment longer before relenting and looking away. "Yes, of course Albus."

He turned back towards the window and looked out over the grounds surrounding Hogwarts. It was the only thing he sometimes missed in his quarters in the dungeons, though he often preferred the damp darkness they provided.

Albus came around his desk and stood in front of it, facing Severus. "There was no indication this attack was to come?" He asked with sympathy for his young friend.

Severus shook his head, hanging it low. "Nothing. No hint whatsoever."

"Do you think he has lost his trust in you?" Albus asked with a hint of worry.

Severus took several minutes to think that over. Albus thankfully waited patiently for him to sort his thoughts. He went over all his encounters with the Dark Lord, the times his mind was penetrated by him and the memories he had allowed the monster to see to support the stories he and Albus so carefully prepared. He found nothing compromising his position.

"No," he said determinedly after a few minutes. "I still have his trust."

He turned around and faced Albus once more, his brow furrowed in a frown. "But it might be a test."

Albus nodded, as if he had expected this already.

"It is imperative that we find out the reason for his secrecy. He is playing his cards close to his chest and if he suspects you in any way Severus, then we should think about pulling you out."

"Nonsense Albus," Severus hissed without malice. "I will maintain my role as a spy until the very end. Do not force me to prematurely give up my sole purpose in this war."

Albus looked at him with sad eyes. "Being a spy is not your only role in life, Severus."

"It is the only role I'm willing to take on. I will see this war to an end,  whatever the cost. I'm sure no one would mind me risking my own life to gain the upper hand over our enemies."

"I would," Albus said quietly but determinedly.

Severus looked away, unable to look his old friend and mentor in the eye. "I know."

"Our past can be our biggest motivator, but it also has the ability to drag us down. Remember that, Severus," Albus said knowingly.

Severus remained silent at that, not really wanting to get into a discussion about that, knowing he could not win.

"Kingsley will be here shortly with his report," Albus said with a finality, all hint of their emotional connection gone.

Severus gave him a curt nod. "I will do what is necessary to gain more information."

"Be safe, Severus."

Before Severus could leave the office, there was a knock at the door. Kingsley entered the office with Tonks in tow.

"Albus, Severus," he greeted them politely before retrieving something from his robes and putting it carefully on the Headmaster's desk.

"We found Bellatrix Lestrange's wand at the site of the attack," Kingsley said as he stepped back from the desk.

Severus frowned as he looked at the wand on the desk. He looked up and locked eyes with Albus, who had come to the same conclusion. That is not Bellatrix's wand...

"I will take my leave then Headmaster," Severus said curtly and turned towards the door.

He heard Albus voice turn to Kingsley before he shut the door behind him. "Please, sit down and tell me all that transpired this afternoon."

Severus walked swiftly down the castle stairs to the Entrance Hall. He longed to make a turn for his quarters to drink a glass of very strong Firewhisky, but he had a job to do.

He walked out the grand doors and crossed the grounds with a purposeful stride until he reached the edge of the anti-apparition wards. He took a second to check his mental barriers and then apparated away.

----

When he was released from the hospital wing, Harry went straight to the Entrance Hall where his friends would arrive any minute. When he got there he saw that more students were waiting for their classmates. There was a group of three Ravenclaws silently talking together with their heads bend, a fifth year girl from Hufflepuff who was reading a book and was seated on the last step of the staircase and a frightened looking small boy who Harry assumed to be a first year. And then there was Malfoy, leaning against the banister of the grand staircase, smirking and looking directly at Harry. Deciding not to pay any attention to the twerp, Harry headed straight towards the Great Hall to wait for his friends there.

"You'd better watch yourself, Potter."  Harry froze on the spot at Malfoy's voice. He glared over his shoulder at the blonde boy.

With a smug smile at having caught Harry's attention, he continued. "I'm sure you figured out who they were after."

"Shut it, Malfoy," Harry snarled.

"It's unfortunate the Aurors came when they did. But mark my words, next time you won't be that lucky. One day someone will catch you unawares. Be ready for it."

"Is that a threat Malfoy?" Harry took an angry step towards his rival. Malfoy took a step forward as well, so there were only an arms' length apart.

"Make of it what you will," Malfoy sneered.

Before Harry could react the doors to the Entrance Hall opened and students streamed in, effectively ending their confrontation as Malfoy slipped away.

Harry filed the short conversation away to mull over later as he sought out his friends. When he spotted Ron's vibrant red hair he quickly made his way through the crowd to get to them.

"Harry!" Hermione called when she spotted him as well. Harry reached them and put his arms around both of their shoulders.

"We were so worried about you, we couldn't find you anywhere on the train." Hermione said.

"We figured you must either be injured... or worse," Ron added solemnly.

"Well, I wanted to stay with you guys, but Snape made me come to Hogwarts," Harry said.

Ron shuddered at that and Harry laughed, feeling relieved to be reunited with his friends and looking forward to the Welcoming Feast now that all the action was over.

They went into the Great Hall and took their seats across from Neville, Dean and Seamus, who looked more excited than stricken at the events.

"Did you guys see all that? An explosion, and then Stunning spells and shields everywhere!" Seamus said excitedly.

"We were there too, you know," Ron reminded him.

Seamus went on, ignoring Ron's comment. "Hannah and Susan helped Ernie and then me and Justin joined the fight, defending them but also driving those bastards back. It felt so empowering!"

Dean smirked at his friend before turning to the trio. "You know, I think I saw all of the DA members from last year holding their own today. I would've never thought we would need to use those things you taught us Harry. Today just made all of last year's efforts... real. You know what I mean?"

The others nodded their heads in agreement. None of them had hoped they would need the defensive and offensive skills, ever. Today they all felt that times were changing.

"You will continue the DA this year, won't you Harry?" Seamus inquired hopefully.

"Er... I haven't really... considered that yet," Harry stammered.

"Aw come on Harry! This is what we need to be able to stand up for ourselves, you said so yourself!"

"Well...yeah, but that was because there was no one else to teach us anything useful," Harry replied, unsure why he felt this reluctant to take on his teacher role again.

Seamus wanted to respond to that but was interrupted by McGonagall's call for attention.

They watched as the first years timidly walked through the aisle of the Great Hall. They looked even more fear-stricken than usual, but Harry figured the attack on the train had a lot to do with that. For a second, Harry was surprised to see a familiar face among the group of first years, but then realised that Kai-Enna would need to be sorted as well. Although she towered above the first years, she did look just as nervous as they were.

As the sorting ceremony began, Harry took the opportunity to take in the staff table. Dumbledore was seated in the middle like always, looking decidedly cheerful as he smiled at each new student stepping forward to be sorted. The two seats next to him were empty. McGonagall was leading the sorting ceremony of course. With a glance along the staff table Harry realised that Snape was not present. With a frown he wondered what could have lead the man to be absent from the Welcoming Feast. He shuddered to think it might have something to do with the attack and his role as a spy for Dumbledore.

Harry then took notice of a new face, probably the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. It was the man that had duelled with Bellatrix this afternoon. His thin frame, dirty blonde hair with large strokes of white, and pointed nose were unmistakable. His features reminded him a little of a fox. He seemed to be a friendly kind of person as he too smiled at the nervous first years, even gave some of them the thumbs up in encouragement. Harry decided he would thread carefully with this man, having already had more than enough experience with imposters and such.

When Kai-Enna was sorted into Hufflepuff, Harry clapped along with the rest as he watched her take a seat at the Hufflepuff table. She was smiling but looked just a little bit disappointed.

After everyone was sorted Dumbledore stood up and the student body fell silent.

"To all our new students, welcome! To all our old students, welcome back to yet another year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. A year of magical education awaits you in hopes of turning each and every one of you into knowledgeable and responsible witches and wizards."

"As usual, I will remind you all of some of the rules that apply during your time at Hogwarts. The Forbidden Forest, that borders the edges of Hogwarts grounds, is as the name suggests strictly off limits to students of all years. Curfew is at 21:30 by which time you all should be in your dormitories. I ask you to take these rules very seriously."

Dumbledore's voice turned significantly darker and the students were so silent, one would wonder if they even breathed.

"As I am sure you are aware of by now, especially after the events of this afternoon, dark times are ahead of us. We will all play a part in what is to come and abiding by Hogwarts rules is one thing that would make that easier on all of us. Furthermore, it is imperative that we prepare ourselves as diligently as possible. One never knows when the time may come that we are faced with things that used to be unthinkable. Much as the events that took place this afternoon. You may be faced with the choice of helping yourself, or a loved one. This choice is quite possibly the hardest one of all and we cannot help you with it. We will, however, make sure that you will be armed with confidence in you own magical abilities, with which you will be able to make a thought-out decision. Whatever side of the war you are on."

Now Harry was sure everyone held their breaths, as Dumbledore deliberately paused for dramatic effect.

"On that note, I am pleased to introduce you to our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Phannicus Braden!"

The fox-like man stood up and waved at the students with a jovial smile. The students applauded, though lacking in enthusiasm.

"In addition to the regular Defence lessons with Professor Braden, we will provide you with Practical Magic workshops that will be available a couple of times during the year and will be taught by a variety of teachers. These lessons will not only cover magical skill, but will also focus on teamwork, problem solving, communication and learning from failure. Skills that are crucial to your survival and very useful in your future life as an adult witch or wizard. Your Heads of House will provide you with the timetable for these lessons tomorrow morning."

"Bloody brilliant," Ron muttered as Seamus elbowed Dean in excitement.

Dumbledore smiled as he opened his arms wide. "Now only one thing remains to be said: Dig in!"

As if on cue the food appeared on the tables magically and the loud buzz of chattering students and clinging cutlery began.

"I don't know about you, but it looks like Dumbledore got his pieces in order this year," Ron said as he loaded his plate with roast beef.

Harry nodded in agreement, finally feeling like they would have enough opportunity to prepare themselves for the war.

Hermione, however, bit her lip. "This will add so much work to our already loaded schedules."

Ron looked at her incredulously. "Are you serious? I'd much rather have those practical lessons than boring old History of Magic."

"I don't think you understand, Ron. We're NEWT students now. All of our subjects will be ten times the work they were in previous years and so much more advanced as well..."

"Well, you should have just dropped more subjects then," Ron said smugly.

Hermione looked at him in shock as if that suggestion bordered on the unthinkable. The others snickered at their bickering.

"I'm just glad that they finally thought of something to help us prepare for the war," Harry said as the laughter died down.

The others nodded in agreement.

"Hey, even though we no longer need the DA to learn new things, we could still get together and practise the stuff they teach us, right?" Seamus proposed.

They turned to Harry with hopeful eyes, waiting for his confirmation.

"Yeah, that could work," Harry said with a shrug.

Seamus gave a fist pump.

"Great, it'll be fun! The best way to take our minds off schoolwork." Seamus grinned at Hermione who threw a half-hearted scowl his way.

As the chatter turned to the subject of house points and the Quidditch Cup, Harry tuned out. Practising spells and curses, duelling with dark wizards, preparing yourself for war. It were things that were much more real to Harry than they were to his classmates and Seamus' last remark had made him painfully aware of it. To them it was fun, some nice activity to spend your free time on. To him, it really meant the key to his survival. The realization made him suddenly feel a lot more distanced from his classmates and the thought depressed him.

"Hello? Harry!"

Harry snapped out of his thoughts and saw that everyone was looking at him.

"Sorry, what?"

"Quidditch Harry! You are going to take over the Captain's position, right?" Ron asked animatedly.

This time Harry felt no doubt at all. This was exactly the kind of normal thing he needed right now. And after his ban on Quidditch last year, he couldn't wait to get back in the game.

"Yes," he said with confidence.

"Excellent! Now, we need to discuss try-outs. We need new chasers, beaters..."

The rest of the evening was happily filled with discussions about the players for Gryffindor and different strategies that were to lead them to the Quidditch Cup again this year. When the feast ended they left the Great Hall to retreat to their Common Rooms. At the bottom of the stairs Harry was halted by Professor McGonagall.

"Mr. Potter,  a moment please. I received your letter regarding your OWL scores. I have them here with me." She handed him an envelope with a broken seal.

"I have enclosed a list of the subjects I recommend you take this year with regards to your career choice. Also there is a form in there that you can use to order the necessary books and supplies. I have informed the staff of your situation but nevertheless I advise you to order your supplies as soon as possible."

"I will, thank you Professor," Harry replied, dreading to open the envelope.

Professor McGonagall seemed to read his mind and smiled at him knowingly. "Don't worry, Potter. It is definitely not as dramatic as you might think."  With that she continued on her way.

When Harry and his friends reached the Gryffindor Common Room, they found empty seats near the fireplace and settled in. Harry took out the envelope that contained his OWL scores and hesitated to open it. What if his grades weren't good enough to get into the NEWT classes required to become an Auror? What would he do if he couldn't get into the Auror programme? He couldn't imagine doing anything else than hunting down dark wizards...

"Come on Harry, McGonagall said not to worry. Open it!" Hermione said encouragingly.

Harry slowly opened the envelope and unfolded the parchments inside.

ORDINARY WIZARDING LEVEL RESULTS               

Pass Grades: Outstanding (O)
Exceeds Expectations (E)
Acceptable (A)

Fail Grades:
Poor (P)
Dreadful (D)
Troll (T)

Harry James Potter has achieved the following scores:
Astronomy: A
Care of Magical Creatures: E
Charms: E
Defence Against the Dark Arts: O
Divination: P
Herbology: E
History of Magic: D
Potions: O
Transfiguration: A

Harry read the parchment through several times, feeling his nervousness drain away each time. He had done pretty well. His scores for Divination and History of Magic were to be expected. He had no clue about anything Professor Trelawny told them in Divination and quite frankly thought that a Poor was still a very high score for that subject. Given that he had collapsed halfway through the History exam, there was no surprise there either. And he had passed everything else, even got two Outstanding scores! And for Potions no less!

Another realization hit him as he let his finger slide over his Potions grade. It was good enough. Good enough to be accepted in Snape's NEWT class and if he passed that it would be his ticket into the Auror programme. He sighed in relief. One less thing to worry about.

"And? How did you do?" Hermione asked, barely able to contain her curiosity.

"Not bad at all," Harry said as he handed her the parchment with a smirk.

"These are great scores Harry," Hermione said as her eyes roved over the parchment. Ron looked over her shoulder at Harry's results.

"Blimey mate, an O in Defence AND Potions?"

"Yeah, I guess somewhere hidden deep down I do have a knack for Potions," Harry grinned at him.

"Ha, or you got lucky," Ron teased him.

"You can't pass an OWL on luck alone Ron," Hermione said as she handed the parchment back to Harry.

"Yeah, well I for one happen to know Potions is not Harry's favourite subject and if we have to believe Snape he is an "incompetent buffoon" when it comes to brewing," Ron said in a voice that imitated the dour Potions Professor.

"Argh, that's the only downside to all this," Harry waved his results in the air. "I have two more years of Snape to endure, assuming he doesn't kick me out before that."

Ron sat back in his chair with crossed feet and his hands resting leisurely on the back of his head.

"I don't envy you that at all," he said with a smirk. "Dropping Potions is what is going to make this the best school year I've had so far."

"If I didn't aspire to be an Auror, I would've dropped Potions as well," Harry admitted. "Regardless of that Outstanding."

"If it's any consolation, I will be taking Potions as well. You won't have to endure it alone," Hermione jumped in.

"I know of something that will be an even better consolation," Ron said with a grin.

"What's that?" Harry asked.

"Snape will probably be just as unhappy having you in his class for two more years as you are."

Harry laughed at that, but had a nagging feeling that Snape would fully use that time to vent his anger and dislike on him.

The rest of the evening was spent in relative peace. Harry filled in the forms to order his supplies as Ron and Hermione listened to Lavender and Parvati's summer stories. Just before midnight they all retreated to their dormitories. To Harry it felt like coming home, and after the trying day they had had, he wanted nothing more than to rest his head on that soft pillow.

After having changed into pyjamas, Harry drew back the sheets to climb into bed. At that moment a stab of pain shot through his head and he doubled over with a hiss.

"You okay Harry?" Ron asked as he sat up in his own bed.

Harry rubbed at his scar, the pain was mercifully already receding. He looked at Ron with a reassuring look.

"It's fine," he said and climbed in bed. "It's just been a long day."

Ron's concerned look lasted a few seconds longer, but then he too laid down in bed. "I hear you. Lucky no one got seriously hurt."

"Yeah." Harry frowned. "What do you think was going on with the professors and aurors back there? What took them so long you reckon?"

Ron propped his head up on his hand and frowned in thought. "That was weird. I can't imagine them not noticing the attack or something."

"Something must have held them back. Or someone," Harry said thoughtfully.

"Thing is, no one really saw anything though."

"Yeah, and I don't think any of the professors will be forthcoming with more information," Harry said bitterly. "They'll keep their secrets."

Ron yawned. "Perhaps it's for the best. Nothing we can do about it now anyway. G'night Harry." Ron drew his curtains closed.

Harry lay on his back and looked up at the ceiling of his bunk bed. Sleep evaded him as he wondered what had caused his connection with Voldemort to momentarily flare up like that. He had felt no particular emotion and nothing like a vision had come through. If it had something to do with the attack on the train, he imagined Voldemort would be livid that his followers had failed yet again. But he had not felt any anger. But he wasn't particularly happy either. He decided it was just too confusing to think about.

He turned to lay on his side and closed his eyes, trying to rid his mind of all thoughts of evil wizards or train attacks.