Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

To Tell The Truth
Christmas was in a few days, and for now Severus had given up the pursuit of finding a cure in potions. Instead he had owled Madam Pince asking for a long list of history and potions books, and she'd replied by showing up in person with one of the Hogwart's house elves levitating a small stack of delicate old books. After promising to turn the pages slowly and treat the books with care, she left and Severus was able to set to work. His goal was to learn about every other person who had this exact condition.

She'd also brought two new novels for Harry, and taken the old books she'd previously sent to him as well as the summary's Harry had written. Severus had never thought Potter to be a reader, but the Gryffindor was eager to get his hands on the new reading material, and went happily back to the guest room to settle in with the books. Severus also settled in with his, and spent several evenings reading late into the night and taking notes. Severus' hypothesis was that genetics played a role in who might get this condition and who would not, but none of the people he researched were related, not even when he traced back their lineage for seven or eight generations. There were similarities he found between them though.

For instance, several of the people afflicted with Harry's condition had been spies. Several were also children, and what was interesting about these cases was the books indicated each of them was suddenly moved to new homes or new families, though none of the histories indicated why. Two of the cases were women, both of whom died shortly after being poisoned. One of the women was a witch in the dark ages and was burned by local Muggles. There was also a Warlock in the dark ages who was afflicted, but he was also burned shortly after being poisoned.

Severus pondered over the stories of these people and the notes he'd taken on them for a long time. Perhaps all of these people had secrets that were simply too big to tell and no one to tell them to. Was that the common denominator? The spies for instance made their living keeping secrets and therefore could not tell them. The poisoning made them tell their secrets to everybody.

The dark ages witch and warlock probably only had the one secret, that they had magic, but magic was illegal then and deadly, so it was a big secret they could share with no one. Again the poisoning made them spill their most precious secret to whoever would hear. Even to the Muggles that would kill them for it.

Severus didn't know about the children or the other cases mentioned as there were little details on them scattered throughout the history books, but he wondered if the children had any similarities to Harry. To the boy who had never had a bedroom, stole scraps of food from the rubbish bin, and would do anything to himself if he thought it would keep him out of trouble, including inflicting damage on his hands and arms.

Days and weeks ago Severus had supposed that perhaps Harry was allergic to various ingredients in the potion interacting together. What if it was more that the potion was interacting with Potter's circumstances? So far Potter had been fighting the potion... fighting the magic instead of going with it, and Severus was beginning to wonder if the interaction might burn itself out eventually and come to resolution if Potter worked with the magic instead.

This presented another problem however. He couldn't simply ask Harry questions and have him answer. They'd done a lot of that already. He and other Professors, Harry's friends and peers at school had asked him questions for weeks and he'd answered truthfully, and the magic didn't seem to be lessening at all. Perhaps being compelled by others to tell the truth would be unfair and make Potter feel like he would have to fight the potion's effects. No, Harry would have to tell the truth on his own. How would Severus convince him to do that though? The boy seemed to latch onto rules, possibly because his relatives had so many for him. Rules made things cut and dry. Rules made things safe, didn't they?

* * *

"Harry, would you please come downstairs?"

"Yes sir." Harry set down his book and got out from under the covers on his bed. He wondered if Snape had concocted some other disgusting potion to make him try and said it out loud, but Snape was already downstairs and didn't seem to hear him. Whatever potion it was, Harry hoped it was a good one and would work. This was Christmas Eve and he'd like to be cured so he could go spend the rest of the holiday with the Weasleys. Snape had left him alone for almost a week, so it must be a good potion right?

"Is it a good potion this time?" Harry asked at the bottom of the stairs. "Will it work?"

"There is no potion currently."

Severus noted the boy was squeezing his hands shut tightly, perhaps digging his fingernails into the palms of his hands to keep from speaking the truth.

"Sit down. Yes, on the sofa."

Harry sat and waited patiently to hear what the Potions Professor had to say.

"There's a new rule for you to follow."

Harry's shoulder's slumped. "What is it sir? Am I doing chores? Am I still allowed to eat?"

"The new rule is that telling the truth is allowed if you want to tell it. You will not be in trouble for anything you say."

Harry frowned. "Even if I say your potions taste like socks?"

"Even then."

"And it's allowed if I say you're mean to me in class?"

"Yes."

"And-" he hesitated and Severus wondered if he was biting his tongue, literally, to keep from speaking.

"Yes?"

"If I tell you the truth about kids in Slytherin?"

"I will not be angry with whatever you say."

"Goyle pushes me down between classes. I don't think Draco and Crabbe like it, but they go along with it. I don't know why. Draco always acts like he's in a hurry to get away after though and Crabbe always frowns at Goyle's back after he pushes me down or shoves me into walls. I thought Draco was putting him up to it at first, because once or twice after Goyle hit me in the face or something Draco told him he had candy to give him back in the dorms, but now I think he was just trying to keep him from hitting me more. Even Ron said he didn't think Draco was like that... would rough people up like that, but we were never sure because the three of them are always together."

"I was unaware, thank you for telling me." Severus was surprised by what he'd heard, but was trying to reinforce what he'd just told the boy, that no matter what he told him he would accept it and the boy would not get into trouble.

"I'm- not in trouble?" Harry asked.

"Why would you be?"

"A couple times when you found Goyle pushing me down in the hall you got mad at me for being clumsy and said I was in everybody's way. Once you took points."

Severus paused, unsure of what to say to that. He reached back through his memories trying to pull up the incidents in question, but came up blank. He'd given Harry detention and taken points so many times, he'd lost track of them all. "I was mistaken in those instances. I did not realize the circumstances surrounding the events. I apologize."

Harry frowned and sighed, clearly thinking about something, and Severus was interested in what the boy was thinking.

"Are you thinking about something right now?"

"I wish you'd seen him push me down and taken the points from him."

"I see. And did you feel compelled to tell me that?"

Harry looked up. "Not right away. Not until you asked I guess."

"Progress then. Earlier you were still saying whatever came to mind right away."

"I guess."

"May I ask you a question about Mr. Malfoy?"

"Sure."

"What did you tell people that made Professor McGonagall send you back to the Hospital Wing after you had first returned to classes after the poisoning? It is my understanding someone asked you what you had thought about Mr. Malfoy."

"Draco and Crabbe were right there and Susan Bones asked me why I wasn't friends with Draco since his family and mine are both prominent pure blood lines. I said I thought he was ok except he was friends with Goyle and I couldn't stand getting beat up by Goyle every day if we were friends, and that I couldn't be friends with someone who was gonna call my friends blood traitor and mudblood."

"I can see why Professor McGonagall might decide to sequester you after such a proclamation."

"It was only the truth."

"For which you are not in trouble. Mudblood and bloodtraitor are not words to be spoken in polite company however, even when re-telling a story. I had wondered why Mr. Malfoy ended up in detention the same day you were sent back to the Hospital Wing, but I was otherwise occupied and unable to ask."

"It was in first and second year. I didn't realize he got detention for that."

"Professor McGonagall would probably track down students that had graduated to give them detention if she found out they had said those words."

"I won't say them again then," Harry promised.

"See that you don't."

"Is there anything else you wish to tell me?" Severus asked.

"Not right now," Harry said. Then he paused and very quickly words came tumbling out of his mouth, though Harry looked horrified. "Are you going to have a tree this year for Christmas sir? Is there going to be something special to eat for dinner on Christmas? I've never had Christmasm before except at Hogwarts. Ron was gonna stay this year so I didn't have to be alone and then this happened." Harry clamped his hand over his mouth but Severus held up a hand.

"Remember: it is now a rule that you are allowed to tell the truth when you want to. You are not in trouble for anything you just said."

"I, I'm sorry sir, I know this isn't a hotel or school. You don't have to entertain me. My thoughts just slip out."

"From now on, let them slip out. This may be the thing that cures your condition."

"Do you think so?"

"I do." Harry relaxed marginally, but still seemed anxious. "While I am not here to cater to you, I do not see an issue with preparing something good to eat for Christmas, or putting up a few decorations. I generally do not because I spend the holidays at Hogwarts."

"You don't have to if you don't want to sir, but I-" He clenched his mouth shut again.

"Yes? Speak whatever you have to say."

But Harry only repeated, "I never got to have Christmas away from Hogwarts. I usually spend the holidays in my cupboard."

"And your family?" He wondered how much it would affect the outcome if he gave small prompts to keep the boy talking. The child didn't seem like he was fighting the magic at the moment however and didn't look anxious.

"They have a big meal and have Aunt Marge over. They put up a big tree and aunt Petunia decorates. She makes lots of cookies and sweet things I'm not allowed to have and Dudley and Uncle Vernon eat them all. The whole house smells good from baking, even in my cupboard, and I pretend I get to eat with them. First year was the first time I got to actually eat real food for Christmas. I love Hogwarts."

"Thank you for telling me."

"Sir? What do you mean?"

"I appreciate the truth Potter. Just remember the rule."

"I won't forget, I promise."

Severus dismissed the boy and wondered what he would do for decorations since he didn't have any. After Potter had gone upstairs and back to his reading, Severus threw a handful of floo powder into the fireplace and called the Hogwart's kitchens. He needed to talk to a house elf.

* * *

Harry was surprised when he heard several large thumps downstairs, followed by Professor Snape calling for him again. It had only been forty minutes since he'd last been down there talking to him, and Harry had spent the time sitting on his bed mulling over the conversation, saying all of his thoughts out loud to himself.

"What's he want this time?" Harry asked.

He felt a little ashamed of telling the man about his cupboard and not being able to eat, but he felt good at the same time that someone else knew. He wasn't certain he felt good about it being Snape knowing however.

"Am I in trouble after all?" Harry asked himself as he started down the stairs. "He said I wouldn't be. It's not fair to make me think one thing and do another."

Harry didn't find Snape angry at the bottom of the stairs however. Instead he found four houselves sitting a small tree upright in the corner of Snape's small living room, and two more coming out of the fireplace with boxes of baubles and garlands.

"Sir? You wanted me?" Harry asked. Snape turned and motioned towards the tree.

"You may decorate the tree if you wish. The elves have also brought Christmas Eve dinner."

Harry's eyes roved towards the dining room and his mouth began to water. He couldn't smell anything but the fir tree at the moment, but he was excited at the possibility of a meal from Hogwarts. "Your cooking is fine sir, I mean, I don't mind it," Harry said out loud, hoping he hadn't offended the man, but Snape waved him off.

"Baubles," said one house elf to Harry, pointing at a box. "Garlands and ribbons," he told Harry pointing in the second.

Three of the four house elves disappeared back through the fireplace, but the fourth stayed and was more than happy to help Harry decorate.

"I wonder if I can take a garland and some ornaments to my room," Harry said out loud, and Snape startled him then as he passed behind him and said, "You may."

The last elf left after they were done with the tree, and Snape beckoned Harry to the dining room to collect a plate. There were no decorations in here, but Harry was too focused on the plate of hot food and mug of hot chocolate to notice or say anything about it.

"This looks so good," Harry said, sitting down to eat, and for the first time since he'd been there, Snape sat at the table to eat with him. "You're eating with me sir?"

"It would appear so."

"It's nice not to be so alone," Harry said as he began eating candied carrots. "After you said I couldn't write to Ron or Madam Pince anymore I felt very lonely. It's not fair."

"I did not say you could not write to them. I said not to write to anybody else."

"Oh. Writing's not usually allowed anyway. Hedwig gets locked in a cage when I go home for the summer, or I send her home with Ron. Uncle Vernon likes it when I'm alone. Every summer he says my friends forgot about me and that I'll go back to Hogwarts and have no one."

"He sounds like a-" Severus paused... son of a bitch. Abusive arse. "-disagreeable man," Severus finished instead.

"He's mean," Harry supplemented. "I hate him. I hate Dudley and Aunt Petunia because they're mean too. They don't like me. I think they're glad I'm gone all year and wish I wouldn't come back in the summer. Uncle Vernon says every year for me to stay at school for all the holidays and says for me to try to stay for summer too. I tried, but the Headmaster wouldn't let me, and he wouldn't let me go to Ron's house either. I'd even go home with Draco Malfoy if he'd let me, but I'm not allowed."

"It is so bad you prefer Draco Malfoy to your family?"

"Yeah," Harry said, and continued eating.

After a few more bites of tender turkey, Harry said, "I would run away but Ron's brothers told me about tracking spells. I wouldn't get that far. I'm stuck there."

"I see."

Harry seemed upset for a moment and lowered his fork. Then he looked up at Severus and said quietly, "I'm not trying to be ungrateful. I just am. I can't help it."

"Perhaps at your relatives there is nothing to be grateful for."

"Maybe. My first year Uncle Vernon sent me a Christmas present at Hogwarts. I think Hedwig must have gone home and pestered him until he did."

"What did he send?"

"A pair of smelly dirty socks."

"That is unpleasant."

Harry shrugged. He'd been so excited to open it, thinking that perhaps his absence had reminded the Dursleys that first year how much they actually liked him. The socks had told him otherwise though. Instead it had reminded Harry that all he was to them was someone to do chores... to wash their dirty clothes, mow the lawn, and cook and clean.

"You are supposed to be telling the truth," Severus said when he noted Harry stuff his fist into his mouth. Harry made several muffled noises and then pulled the fist out and said, "The rule is only if I want to."

"That is the rule," Severus agreed.

Harry didn't want to let go of that secret though. He didn't want anyone to know just how much that Christmas gift had hurt him, or how much the Dursleys affected him. He stuffed his fist back into his mouth and left it there for several minutes. Finally he asked if he could be excused, and seeing that his meal was finished anyway, Severus told him he could go back to his room or the living room if he wanted.

Harry raced up the stairs and to his bed where he buried his head under the pillow. "I hate them," Harry said, "and I hate the smelly socks, and I hate that no one wants me."