Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry and Snape meet Master Barclay!
Chapter 11: The Apprentice Doesn’t Fall Far from the Tree


Harry stood tall and offered his hand out, looking the older man in the eyes. "Yes sir, it's a pleasure to meet you Master Barclay."

"What a polite young man," Master Barclay said, looking over at Snape with a smile. He turned back to Harry. "It is very nice to meet you as well."

Snape was impressed. It turned out the brat did know how to act when he was sufficiently motivated. He looked at Harry and gave him a quick nod of approval.

Master Barclay sat down in a rather large desk chair behind an enormous, massive wooden desk. Behind him on the wall were dozens of plaques and framed certificates, and there was an entire bookcase dedicated to trophies and awards. Scattered amongst the different plaques and awards were framed photos of Master Barclay with all sorts of famous wizards and witches, ranging from politicians and musicians to famous Quidditch players.

Snape remained standing until Barclay invited him to take a seat. Harry watched Snape carefully and followed his lead, sitting down quietly when Snape did.

Although Master Barclay was a warm and outgoing man, he was also a stickler for manners and protocol. He was very open-minded about many things, but when it came to interacting with people, whether personally or professionally, he was extremely formal and very Old School. As an apprentice, Snape learned very quickly that there was no room for error with this, Master Barclay took it as a sign of personal disrespect and affront if someone ignored protocol or forgot a title. Everything from who sits and who stands first, who speaks first, who ends the conversation- who opens the door, who walks through it- there was a "right" way to do everything. Hierarchy and order were very important to him, especially when he was at the top of it.

But Snape learned to appreciate this- it meant that every social interaction had rules and a rhythm to follow, and in his life after his apprenticeship he'd found himself keeping to these formalities, even insisting upon them for his own students and members of house. In his experience, people always appreciated a person with good manners. It was an instant way of showing one's character.

"Master Barclay, I just wanted to thank you for meeting with us today, I know how very valuable your time is and both Mr. Potter and I are very appreciative."

"It's been a long time since you've come to see me, Severus. I hope that means things have been going well for you and you've just been busy. I enjoyed your recent publication about your rapid blood replenisher- fascinating discovery! I do hope you'll be presenting that at the annual meeting later this year."

Snape knew Master Barclay well enough to know that he would have to be patient before they got down to business. The man liked to control the conversation, he enjoyed the power dynamics of deciding when people could speak. Snape always imagined him like a traffic robot of conversation. He gave the green light and the red light for any discussion and everyone else around him had to obey. Snape knew this and was prepared for it, and he would only have success with this meeting if he followed the man's lead and went at his pace.

Master Barclay tapped his wand on the desk and a tea service appeared. "Tea?"

Snape nodded before attempting to politely move the conversation forward. "As I mentioned in my letter, I am coming to you today with a rather unusual request, Master Barclay, and I hope you will be kind enough to grant me the courtesy of allowing me to explain in full before you make any judgments."

Barclay poured Snape a cup of tea, remembering that he took it without any milk or sugar. He handed him the cup across the desk and then sat back in his chair, clearly listening, but not yet ready to allow the conversation to forward.

Red Light.

"Mr. Potter" he smiled at the boy who was clearly doing his best to sit up straight and listen. "Would you care for some tea, young man?"

Harry looked over at Snape for permission. Snape gave him a small nod and Harry returned his eyes to Master Barclay, "Yes, sir, that would be lovely."

"Milk and sugar?"

"Yes, sir. Both, please."

Master Barclay poured the tea and added in some milk with two lumps of sugar. He stirred it dramatically for several seconds, and instead of passing the tea across the desk, he stood up, walked around the desk, and set the cup down directly in front of Harry.

After taking a good look at the boy, Master Barclay took his own cup of tea and sat down on the black leather couch that was pushed up against the adjacent wall. He sat back casually and waited while Snape and Harry adjusted their own chairs to face him in his new location.

If anyone thought Snape was the master of dramatic pauses, they had clearly never met Master Barclay. Sipping his tea and leaning back on the couch he finally decided to respond to Snape's opening statement.

Green Light!

"Of course, Severus. As long as I've known you, you've always been a logical man, I imagine you wouldn't be here if you didn't have a compelling reason for it."

Taking the opening while he had it, Snape jumped right in.

"Thank you, Master Barclay. It concerns the future of young Mr. Potter here. Due to some…" He paused to choose his words carefully in front of Harry. "... unforeseen circumstances, I would like to make him an apprentice. My apprentice."

Yellow Light

It was like the Olympics of dramatic pauses. Harry's eyes darted back and forth between the two men, waiting to see who would speak next. There was an entire conversation happening in unspoken words and pauses. The anticipation was maddening. But the two Potion Masters knew the dance, and they maneuvered elegantly through the breaks in conversation.

Master Barclay finally spoke. "He's too young, Severus. You know that apprenticeship is a binding magical contract. It is a huge commitment and a life-changing decision, one needs to be of age. The APM has not approved an apprenticeship for someone so young in over 100 years"

Green Light

Harry felt crushed hearing those words. He tried not to show it, but putting on a poker face was not one of Harry Potter's gifts. He looked at Snape, pleading to him with his eyes to make a strong argument on his behalf. He didn't want to leave Hogwarts. He definitely didn't want to go into Care. And he absolutely wasn't prepared to be tortured and killed.

Now it was Snape's turn to make his pitch. "This is true, sir, and I believe the APM's recommendation to only perform the bond with wizards of age is an important one…"

He paused for a moment. "However, these circumstances are unique, and in fact, this decision may very well be a matter of life or death for Mr. Potter, thus my urgent and unusual request."

Life or death? What is he on about? Panic flashed across Harry's face and he turned his head quickly to stare at Snape.

Snape ignored Harry's less than subtle reaction and continued with his plea, his face abandoning its usual stoicism to show the gravitas of the situation. "What I am about to tell you next is something few others know, I trust that I will have your confidence and discretion in giving you these details?"

Now Snape was playing the game. Everything he said was true, but he also knew that he would have to present it in a very certain way if he wanted to hook Barclay. At the end of the day, Master Barclay's weakness was that he loved to feel important. He was not malevolent in any way, but he enjoyed the power. And possessing certain information that others didn't would make him feel superior. If Snape could appeal to that dynamic, he was sure he could get him to agree to anything.

"Yes, of course Severus," he replied, his body language changing slightly as he leaned forward, eager to know the details.

Green light, green light!

"Mr. Potter's life is currently being threatened by known...darker entities. In fact, he was forced to go on the run for nearly a year, a fact that we've tried to hide from the wider wizarding community."

Snape had deftly put himself in control of the conversation, and he was using Master Barclay's very own techniques to do it. He paused for a sip of his tea before continuing, knowing the old Potion Master was hanging on his every word.

"During this time, political factions on the Board of Governors at Hogwarts used this as an excuse to revoke Mr. Potter's enrollment, with the obvious goal of forcing him away from the protections at Hogwarts. As you might imagine, given Mr. Potter's...family history...there is great concern for his continued safety as well as his magical education. Headmaster Dumbledore, as well as myself, believe that he will only be safe if he stays at Hogwarts. Since he is no longer enrolled as a student, the only other option that would grant him similar protection would be to make him an apprentice."

Snape held his teacup in his hand, before turning in his chair and placing it gently on the desk that was now behind him. He watched Barclay's face carefully to make sure his words were having the intended effect.

Master Barclay looked at Harry and smiled sympathetically. "Mr. Potter, what do you think of the idea of doing an apprenticeship? Has Professor Snape explained to you how that would work?"

Now Harry was nervous. He didn't want to say the wrong thing, so he looked at Snape for guidance, but Snape's face was still and his expression gave nothing away. Harry was on his own.

"I really want to stay at Hogwarts, sir. Professor Snape explained that if I become an apprentice, he will still help me learn everything I would have learned as a normal Hogwarts student. And on top of that he'd teach me potions and I'd help him with his research and things. He said it would be a lot of hard work, but I said I would do anything, sir. I will do ANYTHING to be able to stay at Hogwarts, I don't have anywhere else to go."

Harry felt tears welling up and his voice started to crack, so he stopped talking. He didn't want to beg Master Barclay, but he wanted him to know that this apprenticeship was his only option.

Bravo, Potter, Snape thought. Harry had just made his job ten times easier. He knew that Harry's genuine emotions would affect the older Potion Master. He was a good man with a kind heart, but above that he also considered himself an honorable man, and what was more honorable than saving a boy's life. And not just any boy- Harry Potter.

Snape felt like he was vying for a BAFTA award now, and he decided to lay it on rather thick so he could seal the deal. He forced a pained expression on his face before he continued.

"Regrettably, Mr. Potter's only remaining relatives have found themselves suddenly...incapable of continuing to care for him. More importantly, the blood wards meant to protect him were breached this past summer, making the whole arrangement especially dangerous. As Muggles, they are ill-equipped to protect him if further attacks are made. If we are not able to get your help to secure this apprenticeship, Mr. Potter will become a ward of the Ministry. I'm sure I don't need to explain what our concerns are there."

Harry didn't make a sound, but several tears rolled down his cheeks. He felt pathetic, crying in front of a total stranger, but just hearing Snape put words to the fact that he was so alone in the world, and that no one wanted him-not even his own relatives-was like a sucker punch to the gut. Not to mention the fact that people were clearly out to kill him. He held his cup in front of his face, sipping at his tea hoping that if he stayed silent, no one would notice the few tears that slipped out.

Master Barclay, like Snape, was extremely observant. He saw the tears rolling down Harry's face, but he didn't want to embarrass the boy, so he kept his eyes firmly on Snape, hoping to spare the boy's dignity. That said, he was extremely moved by the boy's plight.

"I see…"

Yellow Light

There was another ridiculously long pause.

Snape waited, but the man didn't speak. He was growing impatient so he decided to jump the queue and fill the silence by further pleading Harry's case.

"If I were granted this bond, Master Barclay, I would obviously be taking Mr. Potter, not just as an apprentice, but also as my ward, very much in the old style of apprenticeship. Although it has fallen out of favor, I believe there are many merits to this system that would be of benefit to him in his current situation."

Instead of pausing to sip his tea, this time Snape paused and readjusted his legs, crossing them in the other direction and smoothing down his robes.

"I recognize that my role would be—not just to teach him and prepare him for excellence in potions and spells—but also to keep him safe and help him grow into a healthy and strong young wizard. I would hope after our many years of working together, Master Barclay, you know that I never fail to honor my commitments. You also know that I apply complete dedication to everything I do. I give you my word that this apprenticeship would be my most important commitment."

Master Barclay nodded his head and stroked his chin. He took another sip of tea. "Hmmmm."

Snape continued. "Mr. Potter is only 12 years-old, but he has already shown exceptional potential to grow into a powerful wizard. He has shown extraordinary promise, not just in potions, but in many subjects. He is respected and looked up to by his peers and teachers alike and he possesses a strength of character that is unusual in a boy his age. If he were denied this apprenticeship, and thus denied his magical education, it would not only be a great disservice to Mr. Potter as an individual, it would also be at great peril to his life and the future of the wizarding world."

Checkmate, Snape thought to himself. There was no way the man could possibly refuse after hearing that. He had delivered his coup de grace.

Harry nearly dropped his cup. He couldn't believe the words coming out of Snape's mouth. The man had never so much as said a kind word to him, and now, suddenly, he's singing his praises and calling him "exceptional" and "extraordinary." He had never been more shocked in his life.

Finally, Master Barclay spoke. "And you truly believe you're the right person to do this job?"

RED LIGHT, RED LIGHT!

It wasn't a critical tone or even a particularly harsh question, but Barclay had clearly opened the door to discussing the very things Snape wanted to avoid. He knew he would have to explain and defend himself, but he didn't want Harry in the room for it.

"Perhaps it would be prudent to have Mr. Potter step out for a few moments," suggested Snape.

Barclay nodded in agreement. "Certainly, there's a small break room down the hall, two doors down on the right, he is welcome to wait there."

"Then please excuse us, Master Barclay, while I accompany Mr. Potter to the lounge."

Snape didn't say a word, he just looked at Harry and opened the door, waiting for the boy to walk through it. He closed the door quietly and walked several paces down the hallway before he spoke to Harry.

By now Harry was feeling pretty good about himself. His tears were long gone and he had a giant smile on his face after hearing what Snape said about him.

"Don't get a big head, Potter. You and I both know you're a mediocre student at best, I'm merely playing up your potential—were you to actually apply yourself and have someone hold you accountable. I'm sure if Master Barclay knew what your grades really looked like he'd be wondering why we don't just ship you off to Muggle school and be done with it."

Harry didn't let Snape's words bother him at all, he knew it was a half-hearted attempt to counteract the very un-Snape-like situation in which he had been forced to begrudgingly talk up The Brat Who Lived.

Snape opened the door to the small break room. It smelled like stale coffee and the inside of an old fridge. In the middle of the room was a rectangular table covered with old magazines and academic journals, surrounded by a few mismatched folding chairs. Against the left wall was a counter with a sink, a small mini-fridge, and an electric kettle. A hodgepodge of stained and dirty mugs sat in the sink and on the counter. It was a grim sight.

Harry sat down at the table and Snape leaned down to look at him.

"I need you to stay here, Potter, and entertain yourself quietly. This is very VERY important. Do not"—Snape grabbed Harry's chin gently between his thumb and forefingers and made sure that he was looking at him in the eyes—"Do NOT leave this room. Do not touch anything. Sit quietly, read, meditate, sleep—I don't really care what you do as long as you stay in that chair and don't make a sound until I come back for you. Do you understand?" He let go of the boys face.

Harry looked him in the eye— his tone was not threatening and neither were his words, but Harry knew that this was the most serious he'd ever seen Snape. This wasn't an act, he needed Harry to listen.

"Yes, sir. I won't move, I promise." And this time Harry really meant it. Being in that meeting made Harry realize how desperately he wanted this apprenticeship. Even if Snape was a mean and scary git sometimes, he was starting to believe that he would at least keep him safe. Besides, he had nowhere else to go. And at least Snape didn't think he was totally useless. He said I could be a powerful wizard.

Snape pulled Harry's vampire book out of his robes and tossed it on the table. "Here, I brought this for you to read. Although, if you're feeling rather studious you can get a head start on your apprenticeship and start reading the Journal of Industrial Potions" His eyes moved down to the old journals on the table "I heard the November 1991 issue was a real page turner."

Harry felt relieved hearing Snape make a sarcastic comment. He smiled and picked up his book.

"Now behave. We're nearly there." And with that, Snape walked out of the room, leaving Harry with the buzzing of the fluorescent lights, a bunch of outdated potions journals, and the Vampire Detectives book he'd been attempting to read for two days but had barely made a dent in.


Harry was starting to go crazy, it had been nearly an hour since Snape had left him sitting in that abysmal lounge. True to his word, he hadn't moved from the chair, but he was getting antsy. His life was being decided in another room and all he could do was just sit there and wait.

Too anxious to read, Harry folded his arms on the table and laid his head down. He closed his eyes and tried to think about anything else. He thought he could hear a fly stuck in the ceiling lights somewhere. He was so bored.

Finally, the door burst open and standing in the doorway was the imposing figure of Professor Snape.

"Come on, Potter, let's go. Master Barclay wants to see you." Snape's voice was neutral as he held open the door for him before closing it quietly behind them.

Harry tried to read him, but as usual Snape gave nothing away on his face. "What happened? What's going on?"

Snape didn't respond, instead he walked briskly to Master Baraclay's door. He paused in front of the office, leaned down and said softly, "Just be honest. And stay polite."

Even though he'd only just left, Snape knocked on the door, waiting to hear "Enter" before opening it. He put a hand on Harry's shoulder and guided him into the room.

Master Barclay was back behind his desk. He smiled at Harry and motioned for him to sit. "Please take a seat, Mr. Potter. And you, Severus."

They both sat. It was Master Barclay's show now, so all eyes were on him to see where things would go.

"Mr. Potter, Professor Snape has explained everything to me in great detail. I agree with him that your circumstances are extenuating and life-threatening, and that this apprenticeship would offer you stability, security, and continuation of your education."

Barclay went quiet. Harry hadn't heard a question or been addressed directly, so he kept his mouth shut, hoping the man would either continue talking or clarify if he wanted an answer from him.

After a moment, he continued. "I know you are only 12 years-old, and while you are not of age, it is very important that you enter into this apprenticeship bond of your own free will. Do you understand what that means?"

"Yes, sir. It means I am doing it because I want to do it, not because someone is forcing me."

Barclay nodded. "Very good. Now this decision isn't up to me. In order to get approval to perform the apprenticeship bond, we will need to have a majority of the APM board agree to it. I am a member of that board, and I would like to think that my opinion carries a lot of weight, but it is not a guarantee."

Harry's face fell with disappointment at these words, he had thought that if everything went well today, Master Barclay was going to be able to approve it.

"After meeting you, I am quite in agreement with Professor Snape's assessment that you are a mature and clever boy, and that you would benefit greatly from this apprenticeship in both your personal and professional life. As you know, Professor Snape was once my apprentice, many years ago, and since then I have always held him in the highest esteem. He is a brilliant wizard, an exceptionally gifted Potion Master, and an honorable man. I have no doubts that he will teach you well and take good care of you."

Harry was surprised to hear Master Barclay say such nice things about Snape. Sure, he knew Dumbledore always thought highly of him, but to hear this from someone else made Harry feel better about putting his life in the man's hands.

Harry looked over at Snape to see his reaction to all of this— as usual, there wasn't one. Snape had on his 'resting neutral face' and if he was feeling happy or relieved, Harry couldn't tell.

Master Barclay was quite enjoying holding the floor, so he continued. "I want you to know, Mr. Potter, that I will do whatever I can to support you and Professor Snape in this apprenticeship. And hopefully, I can get it approved quickly. If so, I will be one of the wizards who performs the bonding ceremony for you."

"Thank you, sir" Harry said, his gratitude genuine. He'd spoken slightly out of turn, but he wanted the man to know how much this meant to him.

"You're welcome, Mr. Potter. I hope you realize that once you've been bonded to Professor Snape, we will also share an important relationship. Apprenticeships are like a family tree- and we share the same branch. Whether you are an apprentice or a full-grown wizard you can always come to me. We will be bonded as well, and I will always do my best to help and protect you as well."

Harry hadn't thought about that. He felt like he was kind of getting a whole wizarding family with this apprenticeship. He wondered if he would meet others from this family tree.

"Very well, I'm sure you two have other things to attend to. Severus, I've taken copies of your letters and your proposal. I understand there's urgency so I will try to get this moving quickly."

And just like that, Master Barclay was done. He smiled at Harry and walked him to the door before offering his hand, "It was wonderful to meet you, Mr. Potter. I hope I'll be seeing you again soon."

"Good-bye, sir" Harry said, smiling and shaking his hand. He was feeling hugely relieved, and for the first time, somewhat excited about becoming an apprentice. He liked the idea of having several people looking out for him and teaching him things. He'd been somewhat intimidated by Master Barclay, but he liked him a lot, and he could tell that he was a kind and honest man, even if he was a bit formal.

"We thank you for your time, Master Barclay. Please know you have our sincerest gratitude. If you need anything else from me, please let me know. Finalizing this apprenticeship is my highest priority, and if possible I'd like to get it done by week's end."

"Of course, Severus. I'll be in touch. It was good seeing you," the two men shook hands and Snape walked through the door, his hand on Harry's back as they walked down the hall. Master Barclay stood in his doorway and added: "I hope this means I won't have to wait another decade before you make a point to come see me, Severus" he scolded, half-jokingly.

Snape turned around and gave the man a slight bow. "My sincerest apologies, Master Barclay, I look forward to seeing you again soon."

Snape and Harry got in the elevator without saying a word. Snape took off his formal robes, and tossed them over his right elbow. "Robes, Potter" he said, gesturing with his hand to give them to him. Harry undid the clasps and Snape helped him remove them, tossing them over his elbow on top with his own.

When the elevator dinged on the lobby floor, the two walked out casually, passing for well-dressed Muggles (and with their matching black trousers, crisp white shirts, stylish waistcoats, and dark hair, Harry rather looked like Snape's bespeckled mini-me).

As soon as Snape pushed the door open into the spring sunshine, he let out an audible sigh of relief. Harry was bursting to talk about everything but he was waiting for Snape to go first. He was trying really hard to be extra well-behaved.

What Snape really wanted to do was go to a pub and have a pint. He looked at his watch and realized it was 1pm. He should take the boy for some lunch. They were in London, so he decided they might as well kill two birds with one stone- eat lunch and have a pint.

Snape remembered a quiet little pub nestled between Paddington and Bayswater where they could get delicious pies and relax for a bit. It was only a five minute walk away.

As they walked, Snape could tell Harry was dying to talk, but he didn't want to have a conversation on the street surrounded by a bunch of muggles. He was amazed that the boy had been able to keep his mouth shut this long.

If Snape was honest with himself, he had been very impressed with Harry today. He was perfectly behaved and was charming and emotional enough to push Barclay over the edge. He couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

He didn't want to say so, but this little lunch outing was a bit of a celebration and reward for Harry. He knew the boy had tried his hardest to do everything right today, and he wanted him to enjoy a special lunch. He was sure it wasn't often that anyone took Harry out, so this should be a fun treat for him.

Snape stopped in front of the Kings Head Pub. He looked down at Harry, "I hope you're hungry, Mr. Potter, the food here is quite excellent."

Harry's eyes lit up and he looked up at Snape with a huge grin, "You're taking me out for lunch?"

"Well, I wasn't planning on starving you. Not today, at least." Snape said dryly, feeling uncomfortable with Harry's obvious joy and excitement. He had wanted to do something nice for the boy, but he didn't want Harry to know he was doing something nice, especially not just for him. So, he deflected with sarcasm.

Snape opened the pub door and cocked his head to the side, "Get in, Potter, I don't have all day."

Harry was overjoyed to be going out to lunch in a proper London pub. He couldn't stop smiling and he practically skipped through the front door.

Snape walked to a booth in the back corner and an older gentleman slid two menus onto the table. "Specials are potato leek soup and a lamb roast with veggies. Can I get you something to drink?"

"I'll have a pint of Stella," Snape said without hesitation. He looked at Harry, "What do you want to drink? You can have whatever you like...non-alcoholic, obviously."

Harry felt like he'd entered the Twilight Zone. Snape, the most controlling man in the universe, a man who nitpicked every single thing that went onto his plate or into his mouth, a man who insisted he eat his fruits and veggies at every meal and complained constantly about sugar—this man was offering to let him have whatever he wanted?

"Can I have a ginger ale?" Harry asked, looking at Snape.

"You may. But this is a one-time thing, it won't become a habit." Snape was feeling pretty light-hearted, but he didn't want the boy to think he was going to spoil him.

Harry looked at the server, "A ginger-ale for me, please."

"Be right back with those, have a look at the menus."

Harry looked at the menu but wasn't sure what he should order. He didn't want to make Snape mad if he got the wrong thing or picked something too expensive.

Sensing Harry's discomfort and remembering his own experience going to lunch with Master Barclay the first time, Snape spoke up before Harry felt the need to ask.

"Order anything on the menu, Potter. Whatever you want." He narrowed his eyes slightly as though he were about to say something ominous, "But I'll be extremely displeased if you try to pull the sad little Oliver Twist card and order something silly, like a bowl of celery soup, when what you really want is a burger.".

Harry smiled and glanced down at the menu. I like this Snape. Where has he been? "I'm stuck, everything looks so good! I'm thinking about either a Steak and Ale Pie or Fish 'n Chips."

"Both are excellent choices," Snape said, giving the menu a last minute scan. "They are known here for their homemade pies, but I'm sure either is delicious."

The server came back and set their drinks on the table. "Know what you want?"

Snape nodded at Harry to go first. "Um, I'll have the Steak and Ale Pie, please."

"You want chips or veggies with that, lad?"

Harry looked at Snape, and not hearing a demand for vegetables, he replied warily "Um, chips I guess?" He waited for Snape to jump in and scold him, but he didn't.

"And for you, sir?"

"I'll have the Fish Pie. With chips." Snape handed his menu to the server, who then collected Harry's menu and went back to the bar.

Snape picked up his pint and took a refreshing sip. Merlin, this tastes good. Cheers to me, we survived today.

The two sat quietly at the table, like they often did at mealtimes. Snape wasn't so good at this part. He was much more comfortable lecturing students or scolding them. He was also quite good at making elaborate threats (most of which he never carried out). But he hated idle chatter, and he definitely didn't enjoy giving praise or encouragement. Nonetheless, he knew if he was going to expect good behavior from Harry in the future, he would need to acknowledge it and give some positive reinforcement. He looked at this as investing in himself.

"You did very well today, Potter. Your manners and behavior were impeccable. I was quite proud of how you handled yourself with Master Barclay."

Harry beamed. He felt like he could practically fly. He'd never heard Snape say this many nice things to anyone, much less him. He was sure he'd fallen down a rabbit hole.

"It's clear you know how to act when you feel like it, so I hope you know that this is what I will expect out of you anytime we are out in public. Despite the appalling manners you've shown me in the past, it's clear that ignorance isn't to blame, but rather willful disregard."

Once again, Harry wasn't going to let Snape's half-hearted attempts to lecture him take away from the compliments. He felt too good to let Snape ruin it.

"Thank you. I know you think I'm spoiled but I'm really not. I wanted to do a good job today. I really wanted Master Barclay to like me. You told me that as your apprentice I reflect on you, and I didn't want him to think anything bad about you because of me."

He could tell Harry was being really sincere. "I appreciate that, Mr. Potter. And I think Master Barclay was quite charmed by you today, and as a result, we accomplished what we set out to do today which was to get his approval and support. That's why we are treating ourselves to a nice lunch. I want you to enjoy your success today."

Snape hoped that was enough of the positive affirmations. He didn't want the boy to get cocky about it. But he could see the pure joy and happiness in Harry's face, and even he wasn't cruel enough to try to take it away. When Harry smiled, his eyes got bright, and Snape could almost see Lily's spirit flicker in them, and it reassured him that he was doing the right thing.


By the time Harry and Snape returned to Hogwarts, they were both exhausted, but in good spirits. They had enjoyed their lunch and had even taken a short stroll in Hyde Park afterward, making the most of a somewhat sunny April day in England.

After arriving home, Snape had sent Harry to change out of his dress clothes and get into something more comfortable. Snape did the same, returning to the parlor in a pair of dark black jeans and a more casual button-down, one without monograms or cufflinks. But he still tucked in his shirt and put on a waistcoat. Even Snape's casual wasn't particularly casual.

Now that they were back home, Snape tried to put himself back in Professor Snape mode. He had let himself relax a little bit over lunch, making jokes and letting loose a little, but he and Harry had a lot of work to do, and a lot to discuss. He didn't want to throw too much at him at once, but he wanted to set-up some rules and expectations for the next week.

He called Harry into the parlor.

Snape's voice was calm and even, but he was ready for business. "I know it has been a very long day, but I think we need to go through a few things." He pointed to the couch. "Sit down, Mr. Potter."

Harry was still on Cloud Nine. Despite the pressure of meeting with Master Barclay, today had been one of the best days of his life. For the first time ever he had heard, not one, but two people say really nice things about him. And not just anybody, two very powerful wizards who had promised to look after him. After that he'd had an amazing lunch out and walked through the park, and Snape hadn't scowled or shouted at him once. Maybe being an apprentice would be even better than being a Hogwarts student!

Harry recognized the change in Snape's tone instantly. It wasn't angry or mocking, but it was authoritative and serious, with none of the relaxed snarky side he'd seen earlier today.

Harry plopped down on the couch, relaxed. "So, what is it?"

Snape felt like he'd been given an electric shock. The perfect, polite boy from earlier today was gone, and a cheeky, insolent 12 year-old was now in his place.

"Are you forgetting your manners again so quickly, Mr. Potter?" Snape shot him a disapproving glare and his voice had a definite edge. "Do you want to try that again?"

Not really, thought Harry. He didn't understand how Snape could turn on him so quickly. They had just had a really nice day together, and now he was being a git.

"You don't have to be such a git." The words had come out before he even thought about them. Whoops. But he was frustrated, and he meant it.

Snape didn't even think about it. He knew he needed to get control and start drawing some lines. He raised his voice slightly and shot daggers out of his eyes. "Get in the corner, Potter. You clearly need a moment to remember where you are and to whom you're speaking."

Harry was pissed. He hadn't done anything wrong. In fact, he had done everything right, all day. Snape had even said so. And now that they were back here in Hogwarts, all of a sudden Snape wants to treat him badly again.

Harry didn't move. In fact, he leaned back on the couch, folded his arms across his chest and gave Snape a defiant glare, as if to say: Make me!

Snape had no desire to engage in a battle of wills, but now that Harry had stepped up to the plate, he didn't have a choice, he'd have to play ball.

"To the corner, Potter. Now" his tone got even lower and his eyes even icier. He paused before proceeding. "If I have to get up and drag you there, I will. And I can promise you the outcome of that will not be pleasant for you or your backside."

Harry hesitated for a moment, trying to decide if he wanted to challenge him or not. He didn't want to test the man, but he was angry and hurt and not thinking clearly. "You're being so unfair. I did everything you asked me to do and now you're punishing me for no reason!"

Snape ignored him and got up from his chair. He wasn't going to argue with the boy right now. He stood over Harry, with fire in his eyes, but he kept his voice calm. He reached down to grab his arm.

He pulled Harry up from the couch. "Corner. Now. Last chance. We'll discuss everything when you've calmed down."

Harry saw the look in Snape's eyes and knew he was in deep trouble, so he took his chance while he had it and moved quickly over to the corner of the parlor. This is so unfair. I hate him. 

Snape could see that Harry's feelings were hurt, but he was not going to be manipulated. He'd let Harry get away with far too much and if he didn't enforce these boundaries soon, Harry was going to keep pushing them.

"We've had a nice day, and I would have liked to keep it that way, but I will tolerate your disrespect. Ever. You will stand there for 20 minutes and think about how you will adjust your attitude, and I highly recommend that you do. I've been far too lenient with you, but that ends today."

Harry fumed in the corner but kept his mouth shut. He didn't have a death wish, and he could tell from Snape's tone that he meant business. He had no doubt Snape would follow through on his threats and he wasn't eager to test him.

Snape left Harry in the parlor and went into the kitchen to make himself some tea. He could have just tapped his wand, but he wanted to busy himself and go through the motions while he calmed down. He turned on the kettle and pulled a mug out of the cabinet, then he turned around and leaned back against the counter. He took a deep breath as he reached up to pinch the bridge of nose. Dammit, Harry.

For once, Snape didn't want to be the disciplinarian, but Harry had given him no choice. He steeled himself.