Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Not So Spectacular
'I had really wanted to impress all of my teachers and show them what Remus had taught me... show them that he'd been a good influence. I didn't know that my wand had other plans for me. I couldn't foresee the amount of trouble I was going to get myself into and the negative light I'd be shining on Remus by my actions. I also couldn't foresee the trouble I'd be in with Severus. He was not impressed with my performance those first few days at all.'

They had charms first. Harry was excited because the first spell in the charms book was levitation and he'd practiced that morning on his pillow to be sure he wouldn't send it rocketing to the ceiling.

Professor Flitwick was tiny, but Remus had told Harry that he was a powerful wizard, so Harry listened intently as Flitwick showed them the correct wand movements for Wingardium Leviosa. When they were told to practice, Harry sent his feather into the air with ease and earned three points for Gryffindor for being the first to get it and to get it so quickly.

"What about my stool Mr. Potter? Would you like to try on that since the feather was so easy?"

"Yes sir." Feeling confident Harry aimed his new wand at the stool and sent it into the air, but was horrified when it smashed into the ceiling. Shards of wood rained down over Flitwick's head and the class burst into laughter.

"Oh dear Mr. Potter. That much power isn't needed for such a small item."

"I'm sorry," Harry said, cheeks turning red.

"There's no need to be sorry. It's your first charm."

"Nuh uh," a boy from Hufflepuff said from behind Harry. "Last night Harry said his dad let him do all sorts of magic at home."

Harry's face turned even more red as Professor Flitwick looked back over at him.

"Is this true Mr. Potter?"

Harry shrugged.

"Try again." He waved his wand and a pillow appeared in front of Harry at his desk. Harry said the incantation and the pillow rocketed to the ceiling before falling and hitting the floor. He'd done it this morning, why was he having such trouble with it now?

"See me after class Mr. Potter."

The class laughed again with the exception of Ron.

"It can't be detention," Ron said, but Harry wasn't sure why he'd been asked to stay after.

By the end of class only Harry and a few others had managed the charm, but Flitwick seemed happy as the class filtered out of the room. Ron lingered by the door as Harry waited to see what Flitwick wanted from him.

"What kind of wand were you using before?" he asked.

"Unicorn."

"And now?"

"Phoenix."

"I see. And you had to pour a lot of your power into the unicorn wand to get it to work, didn't you?"

"Yes. It always fought back. Mr. Olivander said I should watch how much power I put into this one."

"He was right. You're used to forcing power through an uncooperative wand that doesn't want to do magic for you. The wand you have now is new and still trying to get to know you. It's willing to perform whatever you ask of it. When you try to force a lot of power out through it, the spells come out overpowered and we end up with furniture smashing into the ceiling."

"I tried to tone it down. I didn't mean to smash your stool."

Flitwick turned to the shattered remnants of the wood and said, "Reparo," and the stool came back together like it had never been broken. "There's no harm done Mr. Potter, but I would be wary of what you'd do to a person in a duel if your spells were overpowered. For the next few days I want you to spend time practicing toning down any spells you already know. It will help your wand get to know you and by the end of the week I'll wager that things will even out."

"Ok sir, thanks."

Harry went to the door and left with Ron.

"See, not detention," Ron said. "Fred and George are always complaining about detention with Snape or Filch. They weren't happy when someone kept coming to the house this summer."

"Shh."

"I know, I know," Ron said.

"At least I earned points," Harry said, trying to find something positive about his first class.

"There is that."

Harry was dismayed to find that Transfiguration wasn't going much better for him than Charms however. Remus hadn't taught him any transfiguration, but Harry had read through the first few chapters and practiced the wand movements. He was hoping to be able to show McGonagall something but all he showed her and the rest of the class was an exploding frog.

"Mr. Potter, what happened?" McGonagall said in surprise as she came over to his desk.

"I-" he looked over at Ron who was covered in frog guts next to him and then to two girls in front of him who looked ready to cry at the mess all over the back of their hair. Kids were laughing at him again.

"I just did the incantation," Harry said. "To take the warts off the frog."

"Perhaps we'd better get you a new frog."

"No!" he shouted.

Kids started laughing again and Harry's face turned redder.

"No, I mean, maybe I could work on something else?" She brought him a pincushion with buttons and instructed him to change the color of the buttons, but Harry didn't put any effort into it. He pretended to be trying but never said the incantation. The frog was bad enough and he didn't want to destroy the pincushion as well.

"Geez Potter," a Ravenclaw said as they left the Transfiguration room at the end of class. "She didn't ask you to make frog stew."

Ron grumbled something unfriendly at the Ravenclaw but Harry let the comment pass.

"It's Potions next. No wand work in there, right?" Ron said, trying to cheer him up.

"I wish you hadn't told people that I already knew magic. Now they all think I was lying."

"But I'm the one that told them."

"Doesn't matter," Harry said, wishing silently that he had Remus' wand back so he could do something right today.

Harry really wished that Potions would have gone better for him than it did. Snape snapped at him several times over nothing at all and by the end of class Harry was feeling on edge. His potion had turned out all right, but most of the Slytherins thought he was a dunce at Potions and had giggled whenever Snape had told him how bad he was at the subject. Draco looked uncertain at the way Snape was treating Harry but tried to give Harry a thumbs up at the end of class anyway. Harry practically threw his things into his bag at the end of class, wanting to escape to lunch where he couldn't possibly explode anything or mess anything up, but Snape stopped him until everyone else had left, including Ron.

"Your potion turned out well," he commented.

"Didn't seem like it," Harry said dully.

"Do not mistake my sharp tone as dislike. This is necessary for the Headmaster's benefit, as we have already discussed."

"Yes sir."

"Professor Weylan inquired about you after breakfast this morning."

"I exploded a footstool in charms and I murdered a frog in Transfiguration. Everyone is laughing at me."

"I see. And this makes you less of a wizard how?"

"Ron told everyone I already knew how to do magic. Now they think I'm a liar and really bad at magic."

"You... Moony," he said the nickname with an air of distaste, "and I know the truth."

"Yes sir."

He sent him on his way to lunch and Harry found Ron and Draco waiting for him at the end of the hall.

"You really exploded a frog Lost Boy?" Draco asked. Ron must have told him.

"All over Hermione Granger's hair," Ron said with a laugh. "It was epic. She's such a know it all. You should have heard her on the train."

"So did you do it on purpose?" Draco asked Harry.

"Of course not. I'm not used to this wand. I'm used to my dad's."

"My schedule says we have Defense together after lunch. Do you know any good defensive spells?"

"Jelly Legs," Harry said, "and stupefy. But Professor Flitwick practically said I'd kill someone on accident in a duel so I hope I don't get called on." Harry and Ron shared a look, knowing that Remus being the teacher would probably call on Harry. He'd already been embarrassed enough for one day and just wanted the day to be over. The boys separated in the Great Hall so Draco could go to Slytherin table and Harry and Ron sat down next to Dean, Seamus, and Neville. Hermione was there too and her hair was clean. Harry wondered if she'd gone to take a quick shower while he was talking with Snape.

"Did you lose points?" Seamus asked. "When you stayed after with Snape?"

"No. Just got a lecture," Harry said dully, making something up off the top of his head.

"A third year told me if we get more points than any other house that we'll win the house cup and the end of term feast will have foods that all the Gryffindors vote on, and the hall will be decorated in red and gold."

"The hourglass in the Entrance Hall says we have 17 points. I counted them before I came to lunch," Dean said.

"I won't lose any," Harry promised, and hoped he could keep that promise.

Ron and Harry waited for Draco when they were done with lunch and then walked to Defense Against the Dark Arts together. Luckily they weren't practicing any spells today and Remus- Professor Weylan was only discussing dangerous creatures that they could encounter in the castle or in the Forbidden Forest.

"The Headmaster wanted me to remind you all that the Forbidden Forest is off limits. The West Woods on the other side of school grounds are available for you to explore with adult supervision before third year and on your own from third year up."

"What's in the West Woods Professor?" a Slytherin girl asked.

"Sometimes pixies and Unicorns have been seen, but aside from that the wildlife is generally mundane. You should get to explore the woods in Herbology throughout the year. Professor Sprout generally takes students in to gather magical flora for study."

Harry was thankful that the class ended without incident. He had to keep reminding himself that this man was Remus. He could see it in the way he moved and hear it in the way he pronounced his words, but other than that he was different. Professor Weylan was several inches taller than Remus and had more muscle to him. He had short dark brown hair that was styled very nearly in the same way as Harry's. He looked to be about twenty five, and Harry had to admit that with his new clothes he looked sharp. Remus gave him a look at the end of class but didn't invite him to stay, and Harry left with Ron and Draco.

The rest of the day passed without incident. They'd talked about safety rules in Herbology and Harry nearly fell asleep in History of Magic. He hoped the rest of the week would go better than today.

* * *

Harry had exploded several more items in classes and had gotten into a fight with Draco during flying lessons over Neville's Remembrall. This had led to Harry being put on the Gryffindor Quidditch team, but Harry worried that it had been at the expense of his friendship with Draco. First and second years from other houses had been taunting Harry about all the things he'd destroyed over the course of the week and showed no signs of letting up. Harry was more than irritated and wished more and more that he'd gotten the bite so he could have just gone to the school for fey. He was certain things would have been better for him there.

"Hey Potter! Nice wandwork in Transfiguration! My little sister says you exploded another frog today! Word is McGonagall won't let you work on anything living now."

Harry's face turned red as the third year Ravenclaw ran past him in the halls, laughing all the way.

"You said you could do magic," the Ravenclaw's friend said. "Who woulda thought Harry Potter was a liar?"

"I'm not a liar!" Harry shouted, and the two Ravenclaw's stopped. He wished Ron were there. Ron said his brothers had taught him some defensive spells the other day. Harry only knew a few. He wished he knew Expelliarmus because that would show them that he could do magic.

"Oh yeah? It's pretty obvious you've never done any before this week, or else there wouldn't be frog guts all over your hair."

Harry reached up to his hair and was dismayed to find something organic drying there. The third years laughed again and Harry's face turned red, this time from anger instead of embarrassment. He pulled out his wand.

"Ooh, watch out Callum, you could end up being guts too."

"Nah," the taller boy said. "He wants to duel. That right Potter? Want to prove me wrong?" He dropped his bag on the floor.

"I wouldn't if I were you," came a voice from behind Harry, and he turned to see Draco there, leaning against the wall looking nonchalant but with his wand out all the same. Harry wondered if Draco was talking to him but then realized he was talking to the boys. He was surprised Draco was sticking up for him at all after they had fought the other day about the Remembrall in class.

"What? I'm gonna be scared of a first year?"

"His wand is overpowered, that's why he keeps exploding things. He did get rid of You-Know-Who. If you want to fight him go ahead, but don't say I didn't warn you."

The boy scoffed and raised his wand to throw a hex at Harry. Harry panicked. The only spell he could think of was Expelliarmus. He forced all his power down through his wand like he was used to doing and shouted the incantation. There was an explosion of noise and the boy went flying forty feet down the hall and hit the stone floor with a thud. His wand was lying on the floor somewhere behind Harry. Harry's face paled and he turned to Draco who looked shocked. The boy's friend ran to him and Harry squinted to see if he could see the Ravenclaw's chest rise and fall, but he was too far away.

"We were only joking!" the boy shouted. "You didn't have ta try an' kill him!" The boy ran off before Harry could say anything and Draco began tugging on Harry's robes to get him to move.

"Come on. We gotta get out of here before a Professor comes."

"No, he looks like he's really hurt." Harry walked slowly over to the boy. He was breathing but he wasn't moving and there was a little blood on the side of his head. It was only a minute before they heard hurried footsteps and the boy came running back around the corner with a professor. It was Professor Weylan. He gave Harry an uncertain look and then fell to his knees on the floor by the injured Ravenclaw. "Go to Professor Snape," Weylan told Harry and Draco, and then he lifted the Ravenclaw and hurried past Harry towards the Hospital Wing.

"I'm dead," Harry said. "They're going to kick me out and snap my wand."

"He provoked you. I didn't think you knew Expelliarmus! I thought you'd hex him with jelly legs or bat bogeys or something."

Harry let his feet carry him slowly down to the Dungeons. It was after dinner and he was sure Snape would probably be in his office.

"This way," Draco said, leading him down a side corridor near one of the Potions rooms. He lead him to a door and then knocked. "It's ok, I'll tell him what happened."

"Why?" Harry asked. "I thought you were mad at me."

"Well- Pansy pointed out that I was kind of a jerk. She doesn't like you by the way, so if she said I was being a jerk to you it must have been true."

The door opened to reveal Severus. When he saw Harry and the forlorn look on his face he reached out of the office and pulled Harry inside by the robes.

"What is going on?" he asked.

"Uncle Sev," Draco started right away, "these third year Ravenclaws were provoking Harry. They kept calling him a liar and then invited him to a duel. He did expelliarmus and one of them ended up hurt pretty bad. I didn't think that spell could throw someone that far."

Severus looked alarmed. "Is he already being seen to by a professor?"

"Professor Weylan took him to the Hospital Wing and told us to come to you."

"And your part in this?" he asked Draco with a frown. He didn't seem very happy.

Harry spoke up then. "Draco didn't have anything to do with it. He came around the corner as it was happening. It was my fault. They didn't really invite me to a duel. I just sorta got mad and pulled my wand out. He said we would duel and I cast Expelliarmus."

"I see." He turned around and went to sit behind his desk. "Draco, return to the common room."

"But-"

"Now Draco."

"Yes sir." He gave Harry a sorry look and then left him there in the office, closing the door on the way out.

"How badly was he hurt?"

"He wasn't moving but he was breathing. There was blood on his head."

"And how far did he fly?"

Harry shrugged, still not looking up at Snape. "I dunno. All the way down the defense hallway."

Severus sighed. "Foolish boy. You will end up getting someone killed. I know for a fact that Professor Flitwick warned you about this earlier in the week."

"How do you-"

"We have staff meetings Potter! Once a week!"

Harry closed his mouth and vowed not to open it again that night. He could feel his stomach churning. He hoped he hadn't killed the boy.

"So far you have gotten into a fight in class with Draco, disobeyed class rules and almost gotten yourself killed in the process pulling a silly stunt on a broom, broken rules by duelling in the halls, and seriously injured another student."

"I'm sorry!" Harry shouted, breaking his vow to stay silent as hot tears spilled out of his eyes. "I shouldn't have come here! I just wanted to show them that Remus had taught me and now I messed it all up!"

Severus gave Harry a look as if he was being overdramatic and then told him to sit down in the visitor's chair, which he did.

"You have done the opposite," he said more quietly, pulling out a tissue and handing it to the distraught first year. "To those who don't know you, you are proving yourself to be hot headed. Do not think I didn't hear the way you were talking to Professor McGonagall the night of the feast. If you continue to go around snapping at Professors and getting into fights, you will make the Headmaster think that Remus has taught you to be this way."

"I don't want that," Harry said. "I really did try to be good, I swear. And I apologized to Professor McGonagall about the way I talked to her before I went to bed that night."

"You will be given a detention for dueling in the halls and another for injuring a student when you had been warned by a professor before about dueling before you are able to control your magic. Since it is Remus who found you it is he who can deal with you."

"He sent me down here," Harry said quietly. He didn't want detention but silently thought that he deserved a lot more than two.

"Foolish," he said to himself. "If he thinks he can get out of parenting duty by sending you to me for detention he's sorely mistaken."

"Sir?"

"You are to go to the cleaning closet across the hall and get a mop and bucket. You will be mopping the Entrance Hall."

"In front of everybody sir?"

"You're famous Potter. You will have to learn to deal with what others think of you and it would be best learned sooner rather than later. After you mop the Entrance Hall you can mop the entire Great Hall. Then you will go to bed. Professor Weylan will take care of your second detention."

"Yes sir."

Harry opened the office door and went to the broom cupboard across the corridor from Snape's office. He found the mop and bucket and pulled them out. He was surprised that Snape seemed like he was going to follow him up to the Entrance Hall.

"I'll do what you said," Harry told him. He'd been punished and made to do chores before. He didn't need to be babysat.

"I know you will," Severus said, and motioned for Harry to lead the way to the Entrance Hall. Snape used his wand to fill Harry's bucket with soap and water and watched as he started. There were still students lingering. Some were studying on the stairs and others were joking in the entrance to Hufflepuff corridor.

Twenty minutes into his detention, just as he was finishing the Entrance Hall, Professor McGonagall came down the stairs from the second floor.

"Detention?" she asked Severus.

"Yes. He will be doing the Great Hall next. He has a second detention with Weylan."

She sighed and then walked up to Harry. Some of the students had cleared out by now. "I thought you'd like to know that Callum will be fine. He has a concussion and a sprained neck but he'll be back in class tomorrow."

"I'm sorry Professor," Harry said.

"What happened Mr. Potter? I got their side and I always make it a point to get both sides of a story." Harry told her a shortened version of the story he'd told Severus but left out the parts about wanting to impress the teachers on Remus' behalf.

"I don't believe you meant to do him harm, but as Severus has already reminded you, it was your choice to duel when you knew there could be dire consequences. On top of the two detentions I'm assigning you extra class time with a professor until you can get your casting power under control."

"I'll take however many detentions you want to give me Professor," Harry said.

"They're not detentions. I'll ask at the next staff meeting who has time to give you extra help and you'll get notified as soon as a tutoring schedule can be made up."

"Yes maam."

She left Harry to his work and Harry and Severus moved into the Great Hall, which still had several groups of sixth and seventh years studying in groups at different tables. They lifted their feet whenever Harry came by to mop but otherwise paid him no attention. He thought they would laugh, but they didn't seem to care that he was there at all. When he was done and was back in the dungeons putting the mop and bucket away it was near the first year curfew.

"How come they didn't laugh at me?" Harry asked Severus.

"Who?"

"The students in the Great Hall."

"They have seen students get detention before. It's of no consequence to them."

"But if I'm the 'Great Harry Potter'," he said with sarcasm, "and I was in trouble, I thought they'd care. People have been laughing at me all week."

"Younger students have been laughing at you all week. The older students are generally beyond making fun of people and are too involved in their own schoolwork and happenings to have the time to bully others."

"So they don't care at all," Harry said to himself, working that over in his mind.

"You are young Potter. First, second, and third years are often foolish and wrapped up in the gossip of the school. This week's news will soon be forgotten and they will move on to other subjects of interest."

"Yeah, well I don't want to be that subject anymore."

"It will pass."

Harry closed the broom cupboard and made his way up out of the dungeons, hands in his pockets and eyes glued to the floor. He didn't see Dumbledore watching him as he passed on the second floor.

When he made it back to the common room he found himself immediately surrounded by first and second year boys and Ron's twin brothers Fred and George.

"Harry is it true?"

"Is what true?"

"You used Expelliarmus on a third year Ravenclaw and sent him flying all the way down the defense corridor?"

"Yeah, something like that."

He thought they would be angry or even afraid of him but they seemed pleased.

"Wow Harry! That's a third year spell!"

"I've never seen anyone fly that far from it," said Fred. "They usually only go five or ten feet. How'd you make the spell so powerful Harry?"

He shrugged, not really feeling up to people praising him after he'd just been chewed out over the same incident. He went up to the boy's dorm and Ron followed him.

"We don't have to be in bed early since it's Friday," Ron said.

"I know."

"Wanna do something?"

Harry shrugged. "I have detention again tomorrow."

"Wow, you got detention?"

"Snape said I had to mop the Entrance Hall and Great Hall."

"That's not too bad. Fred and George had detention with him Tuesday and they said he made them chop up pickled rat brains."

"And I have to do extra tutoring with a professor until I can figure out my casting power."

"That's brilliant," Ron said, but Harry looked at him skeptically. He didn't see how. "You could get extra time with Remus," he said, whispering the name. "What if you get tutoring with him?"

Harry shrugged again. "I'm going to bed." He couldn't get the look on Remus' face out of his mind. The way he'd looked at him in the corridor when he'd found the Ravenclaw on the floor... Harry rolled over and put the pillow over his head. A horrible end to a horrible week.

* * *

There was an owl for Harry the next morning at telling him that he had detention in the Defense room after breakfast. Harry was dreading going to see Remus. He'd never actually punished him before and Harry didn't want to face the look of disappointment on his face again. Harry picked at his food and didn't actually eat anything. He looked up from his plate, not wanting to stare at his food anymore, and found Hermione Granger staring at him.

"What?" he asked quietly, surprised.

She looked down at a book she had open where her plate should have been.

"I'm sorry about your hair the other day," he said. "I didn't mean to get guts everywhere."

She looked back up at him and seemed to be scrutinizing his words to see if there was any truth there or not.

"Did I say something wrong?" He thought maybe he'd said something wrong when she still hadn't answered. He was still getting used to being around kids his own age and feared they all knew just how awkward and strange he felt around them. The only kids he was already comfortable with were Ron and Draco.

"You apologized."

"Yeah- well I'll do it again if you want me to."

"Why? Bullies don't apologize."

"Bullies?"

"Well you are one, aren't you? I thought you were just picking on me at first with the frog guts, but then you sent that third year to the Hospital Wing."

Harry's face turned pale and he looked away. Even though he hadn't eaten anything, he started to feel sick to his stomach. "That was an accident. I'm too stupid to be able to control my magic."

"You don't seem stupid. You know a lot of answers to questions and spells in class before we're assigned to learn about them."

"And I hate bullies," Harry said, ignoring her statement about not being stupid because he was too preoccupied with thinking about all the times people had laughed at him that week.

"You're confusing. I've been trying to make up my mind all week if you're a bully or are really nice, because you stuck up for Neville even when it was your friend who was being mean to him."

Harry caught sight of Professor Weylan leaving the Great Hall and pushed his plate away from him. "I gotta go to detention," Harry said. He stuck his hands in his pockets again and made his way out and into the Entrance Hall. As he made his way up through the castle he wished he could just run away like Draco had told him to the night before. He didn't want to see Remus. Or rather, he didn't want to see Professor Weylan, who was really Remus, but who wasn't at the same time. Harry was still trying to wrap his mind around it. He wanted to hug Remus and apologize for what he'd done, but he really couldn't just go up to this strange Professor and hug him.

He knocked on the door to the Defense office down the hall from the Defense room and it opened a few moments later.

"Come in Mr. Potter," Professor Weylan said, and it confused Harry more. It almost seemed like this was all a dream and he'd made up the entire thing about Lupin rescuing him and posing as Weylan to begin with. He closed the door after Harry came in and Harry watched as he sat down in one of the two visitors chairs instead of in his own chair behind the desk.

"Come here. I want to know what happened."

Harry sat down in the chair facing his but didn't start explaining. He'd explained to Severus and McGonagall but now he couldn't explain to Remus.

"Harry?"

He shook his head.

"What's going on cub?"

With his eyes closed and not able to see the man, but able to hear the words and that he spoke them like Remus would have spoken them, Harry could imagine that he was sitting in front of Remus. He suddenly threw himself forward into Remus' arms.

"Hey, hey. What-"

"If you give up on me, I know I deserve it."

"Who said anything about giving up on you?" He ran his fingers through Harry's hair.

"I messed it all up Remus. I showed everyone I had a bad temper and that I can't do magic and I almost killed someone and it's all gonna come back and make you look bad, and I don't want that." He was out of breath after speeding through all of that. Harry didn't let go of him and Remus didn't push him away.

He sighed. "Harry, you're not supposed to be worrying about me. It's the other way around. I'm the one taking care of you, remember?"

"Mmm." He mumbled into Remus' arm.

"Look, sit up." Harry sat up and got back into his own chair. "I don't know what Severus said to you, but you didn't almost kill Callum. Granted, his injuries were serious, but from what he and his friend told me they provoked you. I'm aware that you've been struggling with your wand power and that as a result the others have been making fun of you. I'm sorry I haven't been able to talk to you about it until now."

"Are you sure I can't just have the bite so we can go to that fey school?"

"Harry," he chastised, and Harry frowned.

"Even if you were a werewolf, I'd tell you to stay here and face your problems head on. That's not only being a good Gryffindor but a strong young man."

"Someone told me today that I was a bully."

"Have you been?"

"I don't think so. I think it was a misunderstanding. I made a frog explode all over her hair."

Remus chuckled. "You'll get your wand power figured out Harry. Until then you're going to have to restrain yourself from dueling, and I'd prefer if you wouldn't duel anyhow since it's breaking rules to do so without a professor there with you."

"Yeah, Severus read me the riot act for all the rules I've broken so far."

"Something else we've got to talk about."

"I'm sorry Remus. I'm trying. Really."

"I know you are." They were silent for a moment and then Remus said, "Why don't you tell me about some of the good things that happened this week."

"Well after I fought with Draco he decided to still be my friend. And the boys in Gryffindor thought it was cool that I did Expelliarmus. And I earned a few points this week. And I get to play Quidditch."

"So the week wasn't a total loss, was it?"

"No, I guess not."

They talked for a while longer and then Remus set Harry to writing a letter of apology to Callum for hurting him, (which he was to deliver personally). After that Remus spent an hour working with Harry on his casting power.

"We'll figure out a way to talk without looking suspicious," Remus said. "I do hope it won't be through detentions though."

"I promise it won't be," Harry said. He moved to open the door so he could go to lunch, but stopped and said, "Remus?"

"Yes Harry?"

"It's hard to remember that you're Remus when you look like Blaze Weylan."

"I think the same thing every morning when I look at myself in the mirror before going to classes."

"So long as I'm not the only one," Harry said with a grin, and then left for lunch.

In the Great Hall he walked right over to Callum and his friends at Ravenclaw and handed Callum the letter. He seemed wary of Harry.

"Feeling better?" Harry asked awkwardly.

"No thanks to you."

"To be fair, Draco warned you."

"It was just a joke Potter," he said, not opening the letter.

"It's never a joke to try to hurt someone's feelings," Harry said. He looked at the letter and then left him there to go to Gryffindor table. He sat down in the same spot he'd been in at breakfast. Maybe he should have written Hermione an apology letter too since apologizing in person hadn't seemed to be enough. He'd have to think about it more.

To be continued...