Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Boil the Ocean

Chapter 26 – Boil the Ocean

 

“Keep breathing,” Potter encourages. “Don’t hold your breath. Just in and out slowly.”

Lucius has to stop puffing uncontrollably as he holds the plank position on his forearms. His stamina has improved in the last few weeks, and he can do certain exercises with more ease. However, that doesn’t mean they’re not without effort. 

He hates the plank. Listening to Potter, he grits his teeth briefly before taking an even breath and blowing it out slowly. 

“Ten more seconds,” Thomas calls out. 

Holding a plank for thirty seconds is more difficult than he anticipated. He can hold a Protego for almost ten minutes, but he can barely hold his own body weight for thirty bloody seconds. 

“Five, four, three, two and ONE!” Holly counts then and claps as Lucius collapses in gratitude. The sense of accomplishment is there, but it’s buried under fatigue. He heaves himself to a sitting position and gratefully leans against the wall. 

“Can we finish off with some skipping?” Holly asks.

His tee is damp and sticking to his chest, but Potter looks much more invigorated and energetic than Lucius feels. 

“Yeah, come on. Do you want to do a routine?”

“Yes!” she shrieks excitedly. 

Thomas hands him a bottle of water, which Lucius takes gratefully, thanking the boy. Lucius sips it slowly. 

“You joining us, Dean?” Potter as Holly rushes off to get the ropes. 

“Yeah,” Thomas agrees with a pleased smile. “Which one?”

“Number four!” Holly yells as she comes running back. “I want to show Uncle Luc number four.”

“We’re going to do number four,” Potter deadpans. 

They get into position with Holly in front and centre between the two fifth-year boys. They start slowly, swinging the rope gradually on either side before beginning to skip. He’s been told it’s better to build momentum that way rather than immediately swing the rope overhead. 

Then, they build up speed, skipping as usual. Nothing he’s not seen them do before, even if they are doing it in sync. Then they begin to ... he can only describe it as dance. With remarkable precision and coordination, they seem to move their legs to and fro and jump and hop on the spot, and Lucius can only hope his jaw isn’t on the floor. 

He smiles widely when they finish with a flourish and even applauses as he sees Holly’s pleased grin. 

“That was very impressive, my darling,” he praises sincerely. He always considered himself an accomplished wizard his age; however, since watching Holly show her gymnastics, he’s realised he’s added more goals to achieve in life. Working out with Potter has helped him hone those accomplishments. He doesn’t think he’ll add whatever dancing/skipping routine this is to his list of things he wants to improve. He’s simply happy when he’d won three mock duels in a row with Severus due to his improved reflexes and endurance. Even Lucius had been shocked by his own precision. He and Severus had been honing their duelling skills for years and were generally relatively evenly matched. He believes the new exercise regime helped him duel better, so he intends to continue. It’s only a matter of time before Severus joins him. 

He can’t wait to see Potter in the duels later today. With his magical and muggle training, the boy will be a force to be reckoned with. 

Ten minutes later, after Potter takes them through a cool-down routine, Lucius and Holly head back to his quarters to shower and change for a late breakfast with Severus. Draco will be joining them today. 

ooOoo

 

Draco knocks on his godfather’s door, dreading the breakfast with the others. He’s walked down by himself, which is technically something he’s not allowed to do. His father and godfather have given him and his friends strict instructions to ensure no one walks alone. Pansy had offered to walk down with him, which meant she would have to walk back alone afterwards. He felt confident in his abilities to look after himself, especially with his father training him. 

His father had asked him to do another duelling session with his friends. He’d even meant to follow through. He planned to go to one of the dungeons’ rooms and hold mock duels with the others. Except he’d seen Potter exit the library with his girlfriend, Lovegood. The sight of them laughing together and walking away hand in hand, then slipping behind a tapestry down a secret passage; Draco didn’t need more than one guess to know what they were off to do. Something about them sneaking off together pierced Draco’s heart, and instead of suggesting another duelling session, Draco left to find Pansy for some boyfriend/girlfriend time of his own.

However, he’s dreading breakfast with his family because he didn’t follow through on the instructions from his father. It’s because of Holly. She’s still not forgiven him, he knows. He’d been trying so hard to connect, but it’s been difficult. Whatever progress he’d made over the summer had been wiped away after his thoughtless mudblood comment. Then his father had tried to smooth things over between them, and he’d put his foot in it again by making a comment about Potter. Lucius intervened again and persuaded Holly to go down with Draco and his friends to the Slytherin Common room. The evening had gone well. Or at least there had been no issues. Apart from Astoria, no one else approached them, mainly because Daphne and Theo’s chilling gazes deterred anyone from coming close. 

Then he’d ruined things again with Holly and almost his friends when he’d knocked over Potter’s for once perfectly brewed potion. He’d done it out of spite, wanting him to get failing marks for the day. Except Holly had taken offence to that and knocked everyone’s potions off, meaning everyone failed that day. 

His father had almost killed him for that. Severus hadn’t been too happy either. Holly has refused to spend time with him since. Every meal since then had been awkward. Tense. Horribly strained. 

The door opens to reveal Severus, giving him a sympathetic look. His godfather had been angry at the time for no reason Draco could fathom. He thought it might have been because Holly could have been hurt, but he couldn’t have predicted that she would have smashed everything for Potter. Severus had since calmed down and forgiven him, and Draco didn’t dare mess with Potter’s or anyone else’s potion like he used to. 

Not just because he didn’t want to make Holly angrier than she already was. Also, his friends said they’d stop hanging around him if he continued to mess with Potter. He’d expected a lecture from his father, but all Lucius had done was look at him with disappointment, yet he’d not spoken to him about the incident. 

“Come in, Draco,” Severus opens the door, bidding him to enter. 

“Do you think she’ll talk to me today?” Draco asks bitterly, though he understands that his godfather’s position is more tenuous than his own. Just last week, Severus confided to Draco that he felt he was on probation with his daughter. What they needed was to have Potter fall in Holly’s eyes somehow. Make her see he isn’t the saint she believes him to be. 

Draco’s said loads of things that have pissed the little girl off. Surely, there’s something they could make Potter say to make Holly angry at Potter. But what?

Draco follows his godfather silently inside. 

His father and Holly are already seated at the kitchen table, their breakfast piping hot.

“Morning, Father, Holly,” he says, sitting beside his father. 

“Morning Draco,” his father’s greeting is warm, his eyes just as sympathetic as Severus’s. 

Holly, as per usual, ignores his very existence. 

Severus clears his throat, looking like he wants to admonish his daughter, but previous reprimands of her behaviour have fallen on deaf ears. 

“Shall we start?” Severus gestures to the food. They nod, but then, unusually, he begins to assemble some sort of breakfast sandwich with sausages, bacon and eggs. Managing to do it before Holly has taken a bite from the scrambled eggs she’s dished up for herself, he clumsily pushes the plate in her direction. 

“Here,” he says, looking awkward. “I’ve seen you eat breakfast like this.”

Draco looks as confused as Holly, who keeps switching her gaze from the plate to her father. Lucius turns away from the father and daughter duo, looking amused. Looking like she is on the verge of rejecting the gesture, she startles them all by mumbling, “Thanks,” and switching her plate with Severus’s sandwich. 

Pleased at her small acceptance, he takes her plate, piles on more breakfast foods and digs in with a twitch of his lips. She stares at her sandwich for several long seconds before picking it up and taking her first hesitant bite. 

“It’s nice,” she compliments reluctantly, surprising them all again. 

Getting an idea, Draco assembles his own sandwich. 

“Tastes better like this,” he comments, hoping for a reaction. He’s ignored, to his disappointment. “This is ridiculous,” he bursts out. “I’ve apologised. What more do you want?”

Lucius leans back in his chair slightly as if distancing himself from the upcoming conflict. Holly doesn’t even look in his direction.

He feels his eyes prickling. “I care about you,” he pleads. 

Holly looks at him at that point, but there’s nothing but contempt in her eyes before she returns to her food. 

“Do you have any preparation left to do for the Duelling club?” Severus takes the opportunity to change the subject 

“Everything is ready to be set up,” Lucius nods, reaching for his juice. “After we meet with Minerva, I shall head directly to the Hall with Filius, and we’ll see what last-minute details crop up. Perhaps we’ll even practice our demonstration duel again.”

“I can’t wait to see a real duel,” Holly pipes up excitedly before Draco asks about the meeting with McGonagall. “Harry told me there was a duelling club in his second year, but it was rubbish, and he only learned two spells.”

“Did he say which two spells?” Lucius asks curiously, pushing away his now empty plate and reaching for his napkin. 

“Erm, Expell-something,” Holly tries to say. 

“Expelliarmus,” Lucius corrects patiently, then dabs his lips with the napkin. “And the other?”

“Serp-” she struggles. “It made a snake appear.”

None of the males misses the look she sends in Draco’s direction. 

“Serpensortia,” Lucius informs her, reaching for a second napkin.

“Yeah, those,” she nods, allowing his father to gently wipe down her hand and then her face of the crumbs she’s accumulated while eating. 

Draco feels another flash of jealousy as he watches this. Not for the concessions she allows from Lucius but of her this time. He doesn’t ever remember a time when his father gently ensured Draco was presentable and clean like he’s doing with Holly. Draco was expected to look after himself. He’s been given almost everything he’s ever asked for, and a lot of things he didn’t have to ask for, and he knows his parents love him and would do anything for him. However, he’s never felt his father do this for him. 

He shakes the feeling off, even as he feels unsettled. His mother has given him several hugs over the years, to the point where he embarrassedly shakes them off when she tries to do the same in public. And his father and godfather have given him an affection pat on the shoulders. It doesn’t matter if Lucius has never taken a napkin to clean his face. He’s not a baby. He doesn’t need to feel jealous of this. 

He sees Severus watching closely, too. Though he’s probably wishing Holly would allow him to treat her like she’s allowing Lucius to. 

“That was a rubbish Duelling club,” Draco adds his two knuts worth. “Lockhart was the most useless teacher ever. Glad he never continued the club.”

True to form, Holly ignores him, instead reaching to drain the last of her juice. 

“You are allowed to observe the duels, Holly,” Lucius begins sternly, “however, you must stay a safe distance away from each duelling platform. Safety barriers will be in place; however, sometimes, a spell can ricochet and go astray, and it could hit you. Understand?”

Holly nods solemnly.

Breakfast is over not much after that. Holly skips away to her bedroom, closing the door firmly behind her to get ready. His father leaves for his meeting with McGonagall, and Draco is left alone with Severus, who summons a House Elf to clear away the dishes. He will walk Draco back to his Common Room before heading to the meeting with McGonagall. Holly will walk with them, though  Draco doesn’t know why Holly is going to that meeting either. 

“Are you ready for your duels today?” Severus asks, breaking the silence as they wait for Holly to return.

“Yeah,” he says confidently. “Yes. I’m ready. Father’s been training our group every Thursday. And we practice by ourselves.”

Sometimes, he confesses silently.

“Father says he pushes me because he knows I can do better,” he continues proudly. All he’s ever strived for is to make his father proud. Before his passing, Grandfather Abraxas had always told Draco how clever Lucius was and how Draco took after his father. Grandfather always told stories of everything Lucius had ever accomplished, how he knew how to make people do what he wanted, and how he got people to listen to him. How lucky Draco was to be a Malfoy, and how it was his turn to make the family name proud.

Draco had been trying to do that ever since he could remember. He’s a Malfoy, which automatically means he’s better than the other families. He feels like he’s struggling to get his friends to listen to him. He needs to be a leader like his father. 

“I know I’ve not been present as much as I used to be,” Severus looks at him with a bit of regret, “however, things should settle down in the next few days. If you wish, I can help you with your duelling. Just you and I.” 

Draco nods rapidly, “Yes,” he agrees straight away. 

He wishes his father would do some sessions with just them as well. Instead, he has to share his father’s time with the others. 

Severus smiles at him. 

“Let me know which days work best for you, and I shall look into my schedule.”

Draco nods again, pleased at the offer. 

 

ooOoo

 

Hermione nervously knocks on the staff room door. She’d made her complaint earlier in the week; however, she’d not expected to be summoned so soon. There’s still plenty of time until the Duelling club starts, but she planned to revise some extra spells with Harry. 

She’d not told any of her friends about her formal complaint about how her homework was marked by Malfoy. Ron would only begin to rant about Malfoy - again. And Harry? She’s not sure about Harry’s reaction anymore. Last year, she would have said Harry would have supported her a hundred per cent. This year, Harry seems to have backed off. He’d been distant all summer. He’d initially been angry when no one had written to him after their first letter to say they weren’t allowed to write to him. This was after he’d written to them telling them Holly’s grandmother had passed away, and Holly had been taken away by Social Services. 

Hermione had been sad in a distant sort of way, but truthfully, Iris’s death hadn’t meant much to her personally. Her friend had spent the rest of the summer moping about Holly, only to find out he’d been in contact with her almost the whole time. Harry had lied to them – about Holly. It hurt that he didn’t share that. 

Bid to enter, Hermione cautiously opens the door, pushing those thoughts away, wanting to concentrate on the upcoming conversation only. 

All four Heads of Houses sit sombrely at the table. She didn’t expect all of them. Professor McGonagall beckons her forward, piercing Hermione with her usual strict gaze. Malfoy is standing near the fireplace, leaning casually against the mantle with a neutral gaze. She hadn’t expected him to be here too. 

Still, she stiffens her spine and greets them all woodenly. 

“Take a seat, Miss Granger,” Professor McGonagall says briskly and steeples her fingers on the table. 

Hermione sits in the chair, trying to seem as if she’s not nervous, keeping her eyes on her Head of House. 

“As you can surmise, we are here to discuss your formal complaint regarding the marking of your homework by Professor Malfoy. Professor Malfoy and I have spent the last hour discussing your work with our colleagues.”

She gestures to her the pile of parchment in front of her, which Hermione realises are copies of her homework. 

“Miss Granger, I want to let you know that I am taking your complaint seriously, which is why I have asked all Head of Houses to be present. Professor Sprout shall be taking notes. Now, for the sake of formality, can you state in your own words your complaint against Professor Malfoy?”

Hermione straightens in her chair and clears her throat. 

“Professor McGonagall, my complaint against Professor Malfoy is that I believe he is unfairly marking down my essays without giving me guidance on what I need to improve on. All my essays have a clear introduction of the topic I plan to discuss within the body of the essay, relevant to the homework assigned, and my conclusion ties up all points from my report. My handwriting is legible, and I never have messy drips on my homework.” 

Unlike Ron, who’d grown up using a quill and preferred them to the fountain pens like Harry and still had messy handwriting. Hermione also likes the elegance of using a quill. Not to mention, she didn’t want to be judged as the muggle-born who couldn’t hack it in the wizarding world over something as simple as a feather quill. 

“I don’t understand why I’m not getting the grades I deserve for the effort I put into my work homework. I always hand it in for the date requested as well. I’m never late for my homework. Except for mitigating circumstances,” she adds, unable to resist darting a glance in Professor Snape’s direction, catching the way he stiffens in defence. 

Professor McGonagall exchanges an uncomfortable look with her colleagues. Hermione assumes it is because of her indirect words about the Potions Master’s actions at the beginning of the year, but she’s about to be proven wrong. 

“Miss Granger,” Professor McGonagall begins, picking up an essay from the top of her pile, “you said Professor Malfoy didn’t give you guidance on what you could do to improve your essays?”

At Hermione’s decisive nod, the Transfiguration Mistress continues by reading from the essay, “‘Miss Granger, I requested a ten-inch essay on Shield Charms. Though your inclusion of Offensive Charms is interesting, it’s not completely relevant to the topic assigned. Furthermore, due to your use of additional Charms that have no bearing on the topic at hand, you have gone over the requested essay length. For this reason, I have capped your grade at Exceeds Expectations on this occasion and advise that you stick to the brief as assigned in order to achieve the Outstanding grade you are aiming for.’ Do you remember reading these comments once you received your homework back?” McGonagall remarks after she’s finished reading Malfoy’s comments. 

Hermione flushes, understanding that Professor McGonagall might be implying that Malfoy put those comments on after to cover himself.

“I remember reading them,” Hermione admits, “but they weren’t clear.”

“How much clearer do they need to be?” Malfoy interrupts smoothly before the Deputy Headmistress can say anything. “I assigned an essay with a particular topic, with a set scroll limit. You exceeded the length considerably, strayed from the original topic and dedicated the smallest portion of the requested topic in your essay. I gave you an E grade for the effort, which, looking back, was a mistake as I should have given you the A you deserved instead, for failing the assignment brief.”

Hermione blanches at the thought of being given an Acceptable. 

“All those points I made in the body of the essay were relevant to the essay,” Hermione argues. 

“They were,” Malfoy concedes, somewhat tetchily, “but not what I asked for.  My assignment was a ten-inch essay on the evolution of the Shield Charm since its creation and how it’s been used over the last seven years. You continued down a tangent on using Offensive Charms such as the Cutting Curse and the Blasting Curse and how they evolved to surpass the Shield Charm. I didn’t ask for a history of those Curses.”

Before Hermione could argue that the information on the Cutting and Blasting Curses was interesting and relevant because it showed the vulnerability of an improperly cast Shield, which she’d included in her essay, Professor McGonagall snaps, “Both of you simmer down.”

She takes a deep breath before moving the proceedings forward. 

“Miss Granger, your subsequent essays for Professor Malfoy continue in a similar vein. Your essays include the main topic, but you often go over the assigned length before concluding the essay.”

Hermione listens in silent disbelief, “You’re going to let him penalise me for writing more than I should?” 

Flitwick speaks up for the first time, his voice gentle, “Miss Granger, when you are assigned a certain essay, you are expected to keep to the topic. The requested length is assigned for several reasons. We, teachers, have limited time when you factor in how much homework we have to mark daily. The assignment length is a tried and tested length agreed upon by the Department of Education. Depending on the topic, a professor might assign anywhere from an eight-inch essay to a fifteen-inch one. We expect students to stray to a different topic occasionally, and there are those who miss the mark and usually fail. Professor Malfoy isn’t wrong to mark you down for going over the assigned length with information that isn’t entirely relevant to the topic.”

“But I always include interesting and relevant information. It’s not always well known, and I just wanted to show how some information gets lost if not used,” Hermione adds obstinately. 

“No, Miss Granger,” Snape refutes coolly, “what you do is show off your research skills and include information you believe is obscure to try and put yourself above your peers. Any work a teacher assigns is to gauge a student’s knowledge of what is taught to them in lessons. You simply like to show you are above everyone else by adding information that has no bearing on the topic at hand.”

“What Professor Snape is trying to say,” Professor McGonagall interrupts with a glare in the Potions Master’s direction, “is that we know you are an intelligent young lady.”

Snape’s snort of disbelief disputes Professor McGonagall’s words, but he doesn’t say anything else to interject.

“Miss Granger,” Professor Flitwick says in the same gentle voice as earlier, “we have no doubts that you understand your assigned work. Your written and practical work is exemplary. You are a credit to your House, and when Professor McGonagall put your name forward for the girl’s prefect for your year, no one argued against her because we all knew you are a responsible individual and would rise to challenges before you.”

“None of you has ever commented on the length of my essays before,” Hermione looks between them all in confusion.

“No, we haven’t,” Professor McGonagall admits. 

“Not directly,” Snape mumbles.

Professor Sprout continues, more briskly than Hermione has ever seen the jovial Herbology speak, “Though, we had not communicated to you directly about the length of your essays, truthfully, it is something that I feel should have been addressed long ago. However, considering you always answer the topic by the end of the essay, I grade highly because none of the information you present is wrong. It’s simply extra.”

“Even if no one asked for it,” Snape mutters. 

“Professor Malfoy isn’t wrong to mark you down for writing more than asked. Using his discretion, it’s his right to cut your essay at the requested length and decide that the rest of the essay is irrelevant,” Professor Flitwick tells her, repeating previous information. 

“Each teacher has complete control over how homework is assigned,” Professor McGonagall continues, “and what standards they want it marked to.”

“No, they haven’t,” denied Hermione. “You’ve always marked my homework to the same standard in the past.”

“No, Miss Granger,” Snape snaps, “because if that was true, then that fool Lockhart would have actually taught you something.” 

Hermione flushes, remembering her crush on Lockhart. She always got high marks from that fraud. 

“We don’t want you to walk out of here thinking we are standing in the way of your learning,” Professor Sprout says calmly. “You are an asset to the school and a pleasure to teach. It’s clear that you love learning in all its forms. The library is there for a reason, and no one will stop you from picking up a book that has no bearing on what you are learning in the classroom. However, when it comes to your assignments, we ask you to stick to the topic requested of you.”

“But – but – it’s never been an issue before,” Hermione argues weakly, unable to believe that they really were taking Malfoy’s side just because her essay was a few measly inches over the requested length. 

Professors McGonagall, Flitwick and Sprout exchange uncomfortable looks between them. However, it’s Malfoy who speaks.

“On average, Miss Granger, it should take a student anywhere from two-four hours to complete a standard essay- this time, of course, is made up of research time as well, correct?”

Hermione reluctantly nods. 

“That is, of course, if the student in question sticks to the topic. Like yourself, a student may take additional time to include several other things they might find interesting, and as a teacher, the last thing we want to deter a student from pushing for more knowledge. However, with your homework, you are in a position where you have the leisure to refer to as many books as needed. On the other hand, no books will be available in an exam setting where you might be asked to write an essay. You must do everything from memory.”

Professor McGonagall takes over, “Professor Malfoy is correct. This is your OWL year, and it’s an essential qualification. Passing the OWLs with the right grades not only determines whether you can continue that subject at a NEWT level but also is considered for any Mastery you may apply for or a particular career you may be interested in. Not all job requires NEWTs, but almost all require an OWL. By allowing you to review your homework, we are doing you a disservice by letting you get off track. In the past, we should have put more emphasis on the importance of keeping the required length and sticking to the topic. When it comes to OWLs and NEWTs, the theory is there to help you understand the development of magic. However, the practical is more important in those classes where wand work is involved.  

“There are very few exams where you might be required to write an essay, and it’s best you learn how to write an essay that focuses on answering the question asked, rather than including additional information that eats into your time that could be the difference in a pass or fail because you failed to complete your work in the time provided. Your usual end-of-year exams are marked by us, your teachers who know you. However, the OWLs and NEWTs are assessed by independent invigilators who assess you on standardised tests used to test all students.”

“But it is possible to get bonus marks on extra information provided,” Hermione insists. 

“It is,” the Deputy Headmistress concedes. “However, additional information is useless if you can’t demonstrate you know the information taught in classes.” 

“So, my current marks stand?” Hermione asks dejectedly. This isn’t how she expected the conversation to go. She’d made a complaint because she believed Malfoy was biased against her. She’s a muggle-born student who’s always outshone his son. She worked harder than Draco Malfoy, and in the past, her results testified to that. She’d been sure that her teachers, who knew her, would be on her side. Instead, Malfoy had convinced them he was right and even persuaded them that she’d been writing her essays wrong the whole time. She simply doesn’t understand why they couldn’t see what he’s doing. Hermione knows there’s nothing wrong with her homework. So what if she added extra information and went over the required length? 

While she admitted they had commented on her work to that effect, they never pulled her up about it before. She still answered the essay question, hadn’t she? The extra information she adds to her essay always adds a different light to her work, making it an interesting read and stand out from others. Malfoy is trying to bring her grades down, and the others allow him to do it. 

“After a lengthy discussion,” Professor McGonagall begins with a sympathetic look, “we have decided that your grades from before today stay the same in all your subjects. As teachers, we have let you down by not helping you focus on relevant topics when it comes to essays and should have told you in your first year about keeping your homework to the assigned length. Regarding all your other classes, it is their decision whether you should be marked as you always have been, or if they decide to cap the grades as Professor Malfoy has. That includes all of us here. Do you understand?”

Hermione swallows hard, trying to keep the tears at bay. “Yes, Professor.”

“I would like to make it clear, Miss Granger,” Professor Flitwick says in a firm and gentle voice, “we are not saying you should stop learning. In fact, we encourage your academic endeavours. We’re simply asking you to adhere to the standards we ask in your essays.”

Hermione nods, not really listening. She’s dismissed minutes later with a parchment that details the comments and criticisms she’d earned over the past week’s essays... Something to look over and refer to for future essays. 

 

ooOoo

With a guilty feeling, Filius’s eyes follow Miss Granger’s as she leaves the staff room. The tension seeps out from them all slowly. He exchanges unhappy looks with Minerva and Pomona, though Lucius and Severus look unaffected. 

“How do you think that went?” he asks, leaning back in his chair, feeling fatigued by the conversation. 

“I don’t think it’s over,” Severus answers, looking like he could care less. “However, it is something she needed to hear.”

Filius tunes out Severus’s grumbling. In the beginning, Severus had grumbled over the extra work Miss Granger caused him, but for some reason never capped the grades as Lucius had done. Then again, Severus never cared much for teaching, so had “silently” endured the lengthy essays.  But also, Filius couldn’t help but agree – to an extent. Reading Miss Granger’s essays is always hard. Even though she eventually answers the essay question, she takes her time getting there. Her deviations in the essays are interesting; there’s no denying that, however, as a teacher, his job is to ensure all his students understand what he is teaching. Though it’s clear that Miss Granger understands, he also loses time he could give other students who need more help than Miss Granger. 

He and the other teachers often share comments on the young Gryffindor’s essays and how they’ve repeatedly asked her to stick to the required length. However, their comments are either ignored entirely or adhered to for a short amount of time before Miss Granger falls back into bad habits. The mistake they all made, even Severus to an extent, was to mark her well for extra-length essays simply because she had indeed answered the question asked. 

Only Lucius had refused to do so. He’d gone with the hard line that if he’s set an essay with the length of, say, ten inches, then he expects his essay to be that length. They usually give a little leeway if the essay is an inch or two over or under. 

Filius can understand why. Miss Granger’s handwriting is one of the neatest and tiniest he’s ever seen, so minuscule that he’s been tempted to use a Magnifying Charm in the past. And still often went over the required length by sometimes as much as eight inches. If her handwriting was that little bit larger, the length of the parchment would increase accordingly. Even in researching careers, Miss Granger would be required to explain her theories as succinctly as possible. 

The other issue with her essays is that although she understands the theory well enough to perform the practical, she struggled with paraphrasing in her own words, though they never had issues with plagiarism. The girl had integrity but lacked effective communication skills.  

Had Miss Granger not complained about Lucius and accepted the grades he gave her, she could have continued with her usual lengthy essays with the other classes and still got her usual Outstanding grade as she currently does. She would have only received an A or EE with Lucius, depending on how generous he’d feel when marking the girl’s essay. 

Lucius remarks, as if reading his mind, “I stand by what I said. I’m not a Head of House or Deputy. While Miss Granger’s essay demonstrates her knowledge and enthusiasm for learning, I don’t have time to mark the extra work she creates because she’s decided the information she adds is interesting. If she wants additional tutoring because she’s struggling or if she has a genuine interest in the subject, I wouldn’t hesitate to help if asked. However, Miss Granger has not struck me as the kind of person who’s interested in Defence against the Dark Arts for more than passing her exams. And if she only wants to pass her exams, then I only want to mark an essay I’ve set with the information I’ve asked for.” 

Truthfully, Filius can’t refute that logic, and it generated a healthy and loud debate between the Heads and Lucius when Minerva first approached them about the complaint. 

Miss Granger clearly had a great love for learning, and in the last hour, he’d tried to emphasise how much she shouldn’t let their words today affect that for her. However, as insightful as Hermione Granger’s essays could sometimes be, she’d never come to him outside the class to discuss Magical theory. She’s a perfectionist, for sure. But he’s come to know that she wouldn’t pursue a Charms Mastery as it doesn’t seem to interest her. Why, even Mr Potter had approached him occasionally when he needed help breaking down Charms theory. Filius suspects the boy might have been experimenting with creating his own spells. Not unlike Lily at that age.

“I concur with Lucius,” Pomona agrees. “While Miss Granger is gifted academically, she is not gifted in Herbology. Though she clearly understands the theory behind looking after various fauna, she has no interest in the practical more than passing her exams. Miss Granger is still young and still has to find her niche in life. Perhaps when you have a conversation with her during her Career appointment, Minerva, you could ask where her interests lay. Not everyone knows what they want to do upon graduating, and fewer still know the options available to them. I do hope she doesn’t take our words to heart. As Filius said, she is an asset to the school. She simply needs to focus her academics on her strengths.”

Minerva nods wearily and doesn’t disagree, though Filius suspects she will have a follow-up conversation with her student. Though he isn’t aware of the particulars, he’s picked up enough vibes to realise that Miss Granger has some sort of personal issue with Lucius. Lucius, likewise, seemed to enjoy needling the young Gryffindor, too. He wonders how much of it stems from Lucius’s son, Draco, with whom Filius is aware, Hermione Granger, who has shared an antagonistic relationship since their first year. 

This year had already begun with so much drama. Most of it centred around Harry Potter, and slowly, slowly, it’s starting to encompass all of them.

At least this recent drama hasn’t resulted in anyone getting hurt. However, the Duelling Club will start in half an hour, and there’s still time. 

As Filius exits the Staff room, he hears Severus bitterly complaining about not capping Miss Granger’s marks in first year and hereby avoiding several years’ worth of lengthy essays he shouldn’t have to mark. Perhaps Severus had better standards when it came to teaching than they thought. 

ooOoo

 

“Harry,” Neville hisses from in front of the noticeboard. “Fred, George. Come here. Look.”

Harry looks up from his conversation with the twins. They exchange looks and amble over to Neville and the noticeboard. 

“It’s starting from Monday,” Neville says excitedly, pointing discreetly at the board. Matching grins break out on the trio’s faces. They’ve been waiting for this since the start of term. 

Only members of the UMPA club can see the message when it flashes up. It’s how Professor McGonagall set it up a few years ago. Usually, all clubs are open to all students, provided there is a sponsor. The UMPA club was set up initially as open to all, but due to discrimination, the students had been forced to operate it in secrecy, and only a select few are allowed to attend. New members are vetted for weeks before being allowed to join, and even then, a new member has to be sponsored by four different existing members, one from each Hogwarts House. 

Harry had been a member since his first year when the club was originally founded. Fred and George joined towards the end of their fourth year. Harry invited Neville to it last year, shortly after Harry’s name came out of the Goblet of Fire. He’d spent most of third year gauging whether Neville would be a good fit for the UMPAs, and he’s glad that Neville seems to genuinely enjoy attending the club.

The UMPA club’s operating times have been the same every year since it’s been running. Monday to Sunday evening from 7pm to 10pm. Professor Flitwick had allowed them to use a brilliant room. He called it the Room of Requirement, and it’s the most amazing space in the whole of Hogwarts, magically adjusting for everyone’s needs. 

Harry’s tried every year to see if Hermione and Ron might be interested; however, they never seem to be. He’s wondering if he should even bother this year. Despite his father’s interest in how muggles operate, Ron appears to take after his mother, who merely seems to tolerate them. He was only taking Muggle Studies because Harry and Hermione convinced him to add it to his electives and because he believed it to be an easy O with their help. Hermione had said the way the wizards viewed muggles was fascinating, but when he’d reviewed their notes, Harry had found that the teacher’s view of muggle technology had been woefully behind. When he’d pointed it out to Hermione at the time, she brushed him off, saying they had three years to learn. Hermione has since dropped Muggle Studies, but Ron is still taking it though he’s debating dropping it after OWLs. Neither seems to care that the Muggle Studies curriculum is horribly outdated; Hermione is more concerned that they pass their exams, and Ron just wants an easy life where he doesn’t have to put too much effort into studying. Professor Babbage seemed to understand Harry’s concerns but lamented that her hands were tied due to the Board of Governors and Ministry’s influence on the Department of Education, who wouldn’t allow much of the curriculum to be updated. 

Professor McGonagall had confided that the teachers have to attend a meeting every year to defend their curriculum, and Muggle Studies has always faced the worst of the budget cuts; hence, it’s so woefully behind. 

This is where the UMPA club came in handy and gained so much popularity in the last few years. Harry had wasted no time inviting Luna to it last year, the easiest recruit Harry ever had, and getting three other people to sponsor her had been easy, too. However, this year, he can’t wait to see Holly’s reaction when she sees the Room of Requirement and the UMPAs for the first time ever. As she’s not even a student at Hogwarts, she’ll be the youngest student ever. Because she isn’t a student, she didn’t even need to be sponsored as the three Heads, McGonagall, Flitwick, and Sprout, would allow her in. 

Fred and George are hoping they’ll be able to get Ginny to join this year. 

“Great,” Fred sighs. “I can’t wait. I need help with some of my ... stuff,” he finishes mysteriously as they’re approached by McLaggen, who doesn’t seem to notice them standing there. 

“Will you try asking Ron and Hermione again this year?” Neville asks in the same low voice, catching the twins’ interest. 

“Ron’s too lazy,” George says bluntly, knowing how his brother operates as well as any of them. “I don’t know why you bother asking, Harry. Ron only cares about food and Quidditch. And even then, the only effort he’s willing to put in for his food is to get himself to the table where it’s served.”

“Yeah,” Fred agrees. “He stopped going to the Food club when he realised Sprout said she was serious about making everyone cook.”

Harry smiles. Ron had been seriously put out when he realised he wasn’t allowed to stay to taste test everything and would only be allowed to eat if he put some work into cooking something. He’d walked out of there fifteen minutes after the first session, seeing the ingredients and knives neatly lined up, saying it reminded him too much of Potions. 

He’d called Harry barmy for staying but still badgered him to bring back the food he’d made to the Common room. Harry always gave Holly whatever leftovers he had to take to the dungeons. 

“And as for Hermione,” Fred continues, “if it doesn’t help her with her exams, then she’s not interested either.”

“I’m surprised at that attitude from Hermione,” George frowns. “I would have thought she’d be up for...” he looks around surreptitiously and drops his voice as he leans in, “for the UMPAs. Given how she’s all about equality, I thought a little diversity would be right up her alley. Especially after her SPEW stuff. By the way, have you seen those horrible hats she’s leaving around the Common room?”

“She’s still learning how to knit,” Harry defends. They’re not the greatest, but Hermione’s doing well in teaching herself how to knit. However, trying to trick the House Elves into freeing themselves isn’t doing her any favours. As admirable as Harry believes her goals are, based on the abused House Elves she’s seen, namely Dobby and Winky, she’s not taking into account their feelings. She’d said she’d researched the House Elves, yet, she’d not spoken to the Elves directly to ask about their lives and instead assumed that they all needed to be freed. 

Harry spoke to House Elves regularly and got to know several of them quite well. They liked it best when he visited without Hermione, who always started a rant, as heartfelt as it was, that they were all brainwashed. Hermione’s intentions are good, but her methods are questionable. 

Further conversation halted as Dean and Seamus came down from their dorms and spotted the noticeboard. Dean looks excited when he sees the notice and nudges Seamus, whose face is overtaken by a huge grin. 

“Excellent,” he enthuses. They’ve been members since their first year, their friendship firm as they joined together. “I’ll let Lavender and Parvati know.”

“Isn’t it weird how only Ron and Hermione are the only ones who aren’t in the UMPA club from fifth-year Gryffindors?” Dean comments, looking at Harry.

“They don’t seem to be interested,” Harry can only shrug in response.

“It probably doesn’t help that we can’t outright say what the club actually does,” Seamus says in sympathy. “But still, you’ve dropped enough hints that it’ll be something they’ll both find interesting. It’s bizarre. They’ll follow you down a trap door guarded by a three-headed dog, but they won’t come and see what the UMPAs are about.”

Fred and George snort in laughter.

“Now there’s an idea,” Fred chuckles. “Tell them you need help getting past a monster, and they might join then. Speaking of monsters, is Ron still sulking up there?”

“Yeah,” Dean answers, looking uncomfortable. “He was mumbling about you all betraying him.”

George shakes his head in exasperation. “I’ll go up and sort him out.”

“No,” Harry stops him. “Just leave him to it. I get where he’s coming from. Ginny needs your support more than Ron does. She needs to know someone believes in her.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” Fred sighs with a sombre nod. 

Going to Lucius’s Duelling Club is a massive step for Ginny. Ron always talked about his family, and whenever he spoke of Ginny, he’d always said how much of a chatterbox she was. Harry has only recently seen the emergence of the Ginny that Ron always described. She’d been shy with him the whole summer he’d visited the first time. Riddle’s diary had damaged Ginny in unspeakable ways. Lucius Malfoy had done that to her. Done it so cleverly that he couldn’t be implicated for it. Even if he had been, he would only just have bought himself out of Azkaban as he had the first time.

Trusting him with Holly is hard, but he’s trusting Oma, Holly and Regulus’s judgement. The moment Lucius Malfoy hurt his sister, his life would be over. Holly knows to be wary of Lucius, though she doesn’t know why, trusting Harry’s judgment. 

The Weasleys had boycotted Lucius’s class because of what he did to Ginny. Nonetheless, it’s a huge step for the youngest Weasley to put herself in a position so close to the man who didn’t even seem to care how badly he damaged her. Ron’s instincts are to avoid the man, which is understandable, but he should respect Ginny’s determination to stand up for herself. 

Hermione and Ginny come down from the girls’ dorm together. Harry notices something off about Hermione. Their friendship has been tenuous recently, which upsets Harry. He, Ron and Hermione have been through so much together and have been there to support each other for so much. However, the last few years have been so much more trying. Ron and Hermione fought over Crookshanks. Regardless of the fact that Ron’s pet turned out to be a treacherous rat in disguise, it did not mean that Hermione shouldn’t take Ron’s concerns seriously. Then he and Hermione had fallen out over the Firebolt.

Harry couldn’t deny he’d been excited to have been gifted a broom like that, but he hated how Hermione had gone behind his back to tell McGonagall to confiscate it. She’d made the decision for Harry; instead of trusting him and talking to him, she’d gone behind his back. He’d had enough of that from the Dursleys, who believed they knew better for him but only cared for themselves. 

Though he doesn’t doubt that Hermione cares for him, he also believes she thought she knew better. He’d learned to accept that about her over the last few years. The same as he’d learned to accept that Ron would envy Harry for his money, but conveniently seemed to forget that Harry had lost his parents for the dubious privilege of accessing his family vault. 

What annoys Harry about that is how Ron sometimes acts like Harry threw his money around purposefully. Like Malfoy did. Still, they are his friends, and he’s learned to be patient with them. He’s had his secrets that he’s not shared with them over the years, so they’ve also been patient with him. 

“Are you okay, Hermione?” Harry asks in a low voice as he purposely trails behind the group. 

Hermione gives him a sharp look and says in a brittle voice, “I’m fine, Harry. I’m just – I’m looking forward to the Duelling Club. The last one was such a disappointment.”

“It was,” Harry agrees. “This time, we’re a lot more skilled too.”

Hermione nods, not looking at him. He assesses his friend. Duelling Club is the only club Hermione’s ever been happy to join, given how much stock she puts in her studies and how much she loves to learn but never seems to want to do so outside of the classroom setting. He suspects the only reason she attended the Duelling Club back in the second year was that it was run by Lockhart, and she’d had a massive crush on him, as had half the girls and boys at the time. 

This year, he suspects it’s due to Lucius Malfoy, though not for the same reasons. Not that he’d not heard many students express their...liking for the elder Malfoy. He suspects what’s driving Hermione is the need to prove that she’s as good as any Pureblood. 

Draco Malfoy had always been the most vocal of Purebloods; everything he’d learned, he learned from his father. Now, his father is teaching them, giving someone like Draco more power to abuse because that’s what he does. Harry understands her need to prove herself. He’d suffered through that need himself with the Dursleys. Felt the pressure of it when he came to Hogwarts and saw how people expected him to be. The perfect hero. The Boy-Who-Lived. Though he never told Oma about being a celebrity, he realised she’d known the whole time anyway, advising him on handling the attention around him. With her assistance, he’d been able to conduct himself well enough that people didn’t give him too much hassle over some things printed in the Daily Prophet last year after his name came out of the Goblet of Fire. 

“We’ll beat them all, Hermione,” Harry assures her, his voice confident. “And you’ll be up there, in the top ranking. I know you will.”

The Great Hall has been transformed for the Duelling club. The Head table is gone, replaced by the Duelling platform. As had the House tables. Where last time, there had been only one platform, which only Snape, Lockhart, Malfoy and Harry got to use before the club had been disbanded forever, this time, it seemed everyone would get a chance to duel. On the wall behind where the Head table had been, is a giant board showing the names of everyone who’d signed up for the club. 

On the Head platform, Lucius stands facing the entrance, looking pleased by the turnout. Behind him are Flitwick, Snape, McGonagall, Sinistra and Holly, who beams as she waves madly at Harry upon spotting him. 

Harry smiles and waves in return. 

“Welcome all to the first Duelling club for this year. As I have heard what happened at the last attempt at starting the Duelling Club, I sincerely hope this isn’t the last,” Lucius begins. 

There’s a smattering of laughter and some looks in Harry’s direction, though he feels it’s not his fault that Duelling club hadn’t lasted longer than the first lesson.

Lucius gives a quick overview of what to expect. He and Flitwick will demonstrate a duel, followed by fifteen minutes of going over duelling etiquette. Followed by everyone taking turns duelling with someone whose name is randomly chosen against another student; their names will be displayed on the aforementioned board. 

“Each duel will last three minutes,” Lucius explains. “The aim is to Disarm your opponent; their wand doesn’t need to be in your hand, as long it’s not in your opponent’s. Or if you knock your opponent off the platform, that will also end the duel. You can forfeit before the three minutes are over if you feel you can not continue. Yes?”

He points to Hermione, who raises her hand to ask a question.

“How is a winner determined if no one loses their wand at the end of the three minutes?”

Lucius nods as he answers the question, “In the case where neither opponent wins the wand, we’ll declare a tie and allow both to move on.”

“Now, Professor Malfoy and I shall give a brief demonstration lasting ninety seconds,” Flitwick announces excitedly. “Professor Sinistra, if you can, please count us down.”

Holly is forced to follow Snape and McGonagall when everyone else leaves the platform, though she looks longingly in Harry’s direction. Harry obligingly moves as close as he dares, knowing Snape’s glaring in his direction. The others shuffle forward with him, trying to get into a good space to watch the demo. 

“Hope Flitwick wipes the floor with Malfoy,” George whispers to his brother. 

Harry spares them both a quick glance. Harry’s been duelling with Lucius for several weeks and has learned a lot of duelling. Lucius is good, Harry admits, though his own experience is limited. He’s never seen Flitwick duel, though everyone knew he’d been a Champion on the Duelling circuit in his youth. 

“Ready? Set, Duel,” Sinistra calls out, looking excited.

She’s barely stepped off the platform before Flitwick and Lucius exchange bows, and the spells fly. It’s the fastest Harry’s ever seen spells being cast. Barely any of them are verbalised, something Lucius has been trying to teach him in their lessons. Non-verbal casting gives the edge over the opponent as they won’t know what’s coming; however, the wand movements need to be precise and rapid to continue to confuse your opponent. 

Reflexes are vital, and Lucius emphasised keeping your opponent off balance as much as possible. Lucius advised on being creative and unpredictable but also said that didn’t necessarily mean he needed to know a hundred spells. He can just as easily win a duel with a handful of spells he can perform well, but the trick is to use them in unexpected ways. 

Seeing Lucius and Flitwick exchange the rapid volley of spells, Harry truly understands what the older wizard meant. They seem to take turns in keeping the other on the defensive. When he’d first started duelling with Lucius, he paused after one spell to see if his attack landed. It’s what he’d done with Ron when they’d been training for the Tournament last year. 

Lucius had quickly trained him out of that, explaining he’d needed to keep casting, making it instinct until he knew his opponent was down. Proper duelling isn’t about taking turns. Though they both knew Lucius was only training Harry for the day he crossed paths with Voldemort and his Death Eaters again, Lucius also emphasised that even in the Duelling arena, a master Dueller would keep their opponent off balance and force them to yield. Good sportsmanship came after. 

The ninety seconds are over before Harry can believe it. Neither Lucius nor Flitwick won, though they bowed to each other before turning to face the audience, most of whom have broken into applause, Harry included. 

“I didn’t know duelling was that fast,” Harry comments, raising his voice to be heard above the clapping. 

“Yeah,” Fred agrees, looking impressed.

They pay attention to the brief overview of Duelling etiquette, and then Lucius pulls out a parchment with a list of names. The Great Hall is full of students of all Houses, and a fair few have turned out for the club. Harry doesn’t believe everyone will continue after the first lesson. It’s simply something new and exciting for everyone to attend. Apart from Quidditch, the only entertainment students get is the Choir. Harry had heard that there used to be a drama club, but rumour had it Dumbledore cancelled it when the two students playing the main cast had broken up and hexed each other. Harry’s not sure if he believes it, but he does wish, like Holly had the other day, that the wizarding world had television or films. He knows there are wizarding theatres, but apart from the occasional Choir practice, there’s not much else in terms of entertainment. 

At least Holly will find the UMPA club exciting. It’s almost the answer to what she wants. 

The students are divided between platforms 1 and 4 on each side of the Hall. Platforms 2 and 3 in the middle are where the winners will be directed. Winners from 2 and 3 will shift to the Main platform for another duel. If students got through to the Main platform, their time would be reduced to two minutes. 

Harry, Ginny, Fred and Dean are directed to platform 4. Neville, Luna, Hermione and George head towards Platform 1. 

“Good luck,” Harry wishes them, giving Neville an encouraging nod and Luna a smile. Looking at Hermione, he adds, “Kick arse.”

Hermione gives him a tentatively pleased smile as she heads toward Platform 1 with the others. 

Holly comes rushing up to him, throwing her arms around his middle as she hugs him. 

“Wasn’t that cool what Uncle Luc and Uncle Fil did? Are you going to do that too? I’ll be able to duel like that one day, won’t I? What spells are you going to use? Uncle Fil did that thing where he tried to push Uncle Luc off the platform. Can you do that too?”

Harry laughs at her enthusiasm and tries to answer her rapid questions as he looks down at her grinning face.

“Yes, it was really cool. I don’t think I’ll be as fast as they are, but I’ll definitely try my best. You will absolutely be able to duel like that one day. We’ll keep practising it like we do with gymnastics. I’m not sure what spells to use yet, I want to see how everyone else does, but I don’t think I’ll be able to use that spell Professor Flitwick used on Professor Malfoy yet. I don’t know what that one is. I think it might be a variation of the Wind Charm.”

“I know you’ll win them all,” Holly says confidently, still not letting go of him. 

He smiles, holding her tighter. 

“Then you’ll be Champion Dueller, like Uncle Fil. He said he’s always looking for someone new to train,” Holly informs him. 

Harry grins. Holly’s always planning his career for him. The other day, she wanted him to have his own restaurant so he could cook for her anytime. 

“He can train me too, and we’ll be partners at the Championship, and everyone will be too scared to go up against us. ‘Cause we’re that brilliant.”

“And modest, too, midget,” Dean jokes.

“Of course,” Holly looks at Dean as if it’s obvious. Turning to Ginny, she demands, “You’ll teach me your Bat-bogey Hex, won’t you?”

“I absolutely will,” Ginny smiles at the younger girl. “I’ll be using it today.”

Holly beams at her. 

“We can teach you stuff, too,” Fred interrupts, pretending to be put out at the lack of attention from Holly. 

“I’m sure you can,” Holly replies, playing along. 

Fred huffs, muttering about being patronised. 

Holly giggles at his grumbling, still holding on to Harry. 

“I’m hoping you’re going to be cheering for us, too,” Fred looks at her with a raised brow. 

“I will,” Holly nods agreeably. Then continues, “Unless you’re up against Harry. Then I’m only cheering for Harry.”

“Of course,” Ginny sighs.

“First match,” Lucius announces, approaches the group for Platform 4, “Wayne Hopkins versus Dean Thomas.”

Dean makes his way to the step to climb the platform amongst a chorus of ‘Good luck’ from the group. 

Harry and the others watch intently, cheering Dean on. Outside of the gym and the UMPA club, Harry spends very little time with Dean. They’ve never bonded the way he and Ron had. Dean and Seamus are usually inseparable as Ron and Harry used to be; however, Seamus has taken to time with spending time with Parvati. It wouldn’t surprise Harry if they walked hand in hand at the next Hogsmeade visit. 

Dean and Wayne Hopkins are evenly matched. They both have brilliant reflexes and dodge as well as each other. Dean’s Shield is more robust but barely holds up to Wayne’s Stunning Spell, which is incredible. 

Wayne wins the duel because Dean is too slow to raise his Shield. 

“Good effort,” Wayne congratulates sportingly after he bows at the end of the duel and then walks forward to shake hands with Dean. 

The handshake seems to confuse Lucius, who gives them both a look and moves Wayne to Platform 3 to wait for the next batch of opponents.

“Didn’t think I’d be out this early,” Dean says disappointingly. 

“You did well,” Harry says encouragingly. “Just takes practice.”

Dean nods, still looking disappointed with himself. 

Holly stays with him, leaning into his side, one arm around his waist, while his is around her shoulders. 

“Ginny Weasley versus Daphne Greengrass,” Lucius announces.

“Uncle Luc said Daphne is good,” Holly comments as Ginny goes up next. 

Harry nods. He’s aware that Lucius has duelling sessions with Draco and his friends. With no Crabbe and Goyle anymore, Draco hangs around with Nott, Zabini, Greengrass and Parkinson. The children of those who defected from the Death Eater ranks along with Lucius.

As with Harry, he’s training them to hold their own in case they ever get attacked. Holly doesn’t seem to mind speaking with the others, even if she is still on the outs with Draco because of his stunt of breaking Harry’s potion sample several weeks ago. Harry neither encouraged nor discouraged her from making up with Malfoy. 

His sister is clever enough to know her own mind and is as protective of him as he is of her. The only person Harry has made an effort of trying to get her to forgive is Snape. Harry doubts he’ll ever like the man or that they’ll ever get on with each other. When he’d attacked Harry the first time in the Hospital Wing, Harry had let that go for Holly’s sake. First, because he’d put down his anger to worry about Holly. And also because he didn’t want Snape out of the castle, as it would mean that he’d take Holly with him. Harry couldn’t bear to part with her, not after being apart from her all summer.

Snape’s Legilmency attack on him had been unwarranted and completely out of line. He didn’t have any excuse on that occasion. It was a clear-cut invasion of privacy, and he couldn’t even put that down to worry about Holly. Even then, to keep Holly in the castle, he’d forced his first instinct to have Snape sacked down. 

 Also, for Eileen’s sake, he’s trying to help Snape and Holly put their differences aside. In her last letter to Harry, Eileen had confessed many things, but the only request she’d made was to give Snape a letter and a gift from her. Even then, she’d told him she wouldn’t blame him if he threw those away. He couldn’t deny he’d been tempted after Snape’s mental attack.  

His green eyes look across the Hall where Snape supervises Platform 1 with Flitwick. Harry’s still undecided on passing on Eileen’s last wishes. However, he does know, he thinks, pressing Holly closer to his side, that he won’t do it as long as their father-and-daughter relationship is rocky. 

He’s trying to persuade her to give her father a chance. He’s not sure Snape deserves this chance. Harry remembers how Snape pushed Holly away when he’d been too angry at what he thought Harry had done. Snape shouldn’t have done that. He’s giving Snape one last chance to do right by Holly. So far, he’s behaved. He’s not hurt Holly or invaded her privacy. However, the moment he does anything to harm his sister, Harry will not let the older man anywhere near Holly. Even if Harry has to leave Hogwarts to achieve this. 

Eileen had disappeared from Snape’s life. Harry would ensure he and Holly will, too, if Holly ever comes crying to him because of Snape. So busy thinking about Snape and Holly, Harry misses Ginny losing her duel to Daphne Greengrass. 

“You started well,” Harry compliments, only able to comment on Ginny’s strong offensive with her signature Bat-bogey Hex, having missed the rest. 

Ginny looks put out, looking moodily in Lucius’s direction. Their professor doesn’t seem to notice Ginny’s stare. Other than giving her a quick, “Good job, Weasley,” as she walks past. 

“I need to get better, Harry,” Ginny says fiercely, watching Greengrass head to the next platform to wait with the other winners. 

“Harry Potter versus Marietta Edgecombe,” Lucius announces. 

Harry straightens up. Marietta is Cho’s best friend, and though Harry has no problem with Cho herself, Marietta is one of Luna’s persistent tormentors. If Harry hadn’t shown Luna some security spells last year, Luna’s belongings would continue to go missing. Marietta is still a persistent bully within Ravenclaw tower.

He exchanges a look laden with meaning with Ginny and Fred. Fred smirks at him, expecting a show. Harry gives Holly a hug before he hops onto the platform. He decides to go with Stinging Hexes. 

He gives Edgecombe a shallow bow, not taking his eyes off her. She looks confidently at Harry, clearly not expecting a challenge. Harry can’t say he knows much about the Ravenclaw bully, but Luna has told him that Edgecombe’s mother works somewhere in the Ministry. Not exceptionally high ranking, but not at the bottom of the ladder either. Still, Edgecombe has an arrogance about her that Harry doesn’t like. And he doesn’t like how she thinks she can get away with hurting Luna. 

“Expelliarmus!” 

Harry steps to the side of the Disarming Charm, which he feels is too slow to leave his opponent’s wand. He sends a Stinging Hex back, aiming it at her shin. Edgecombe moves and casts a Shield, but Harry sends another Stinging Hex, this one stronger, ripping straight through her Shield. 

She yelps but hangs onto her wand. Harry doesn’t give her a chance to cast another spell, sending Stinging Hex after Stinging Hex in her direction. Her Shield, when she manages to get it up, is useless as Harry overpowers his Stingers. His next Stinger is aimed straight at her wand hand, and even though he knows this will be powerful enough to make her drop her wand, he still sends another spell. 

This time, he says, loud enough that she can hear it, “Anteoculatia.”

She shrieks in pain and drops her wand as predicted, then shrieks again as massive antlers grow from her temples, weighing her head down. Lucius and Flitwick rush forward to undo the transfiguration. 

Lucius declares Harry as the winner, to Holly’s screaming excitement.

“Yay, Harry. I knew you could do it.”

And, because Harry’s already turned his back on Marietta Edgecombe to descend from the platform, he doesn’t see her looking at his sister with narrowed, angry eyes stinging with pain and humiliation. 

“Well done, Harry,” Ginny says with a quick hug, looking pleased with his victory. 

Harry accepts the hug and moves onto the next platform with Holly by his side. 

 

ooOoo

 

Draco easily wins his duel against some no-name Gryffindor. One Stunner and the idiot is out cold. Uncle Severus revives the twit, and Draco moves onto the next platform, watching the others. He sees Potter win against the Ravenclaw bint, Draco doesn’t know her name, but she’s clearly not a match for him. 

He grits his teeth as the Weasley cow hugs Potter. What’s she doing hugging Weasley? Draco thinks. Potter is going out with Looney Lovegood. He swivels his head around to see Lovegood, whom he’s seen earlier with Granger and the others on his side of the platform. 

Lovegood’s name is called next to duel with some Hufflepuff. Draco doesn’t care who. He doesn’t watch the duel, instead swivelling his head back to Potter. Weasley’s moved away from Potter now, but Holly’s stuck to the prat like glue. 

What the hell is so special about Potter anyway that no one can tear their eyes away from him? Including your own, a treacherous voice whispers silently. 

Draco wrenches his gaze away from Potter, firmly keeping his eyes on ... on... Longbottom. Yes, he’ll watch Longbottom instead. The bumbling buffoon is up against ... Blaise Zabini?

Draco snorts in amusement. This should be easy for Blaise. Longbottom’s too much of a dolt to be a challenge for Blaise. So far, no one Draco has seen has lasted the whole three minutes, though that’s due to lack of experience and skill more than anything else.

Perhaps round 2 would be more of a challenge, though Draco doubts it. He’s been training with his father. He and his friends are well beyond anyone else’s skills in the room. Apart from perhaps the Slytherin upper years, such as Yaxley and his ilk, he thinks as his grey eyes clash with the boy in question. 

Draco refuses to look away, even as his heart pounds. Yaxley smirks viciously at Draco in return. Thankfully, their staring competition is interrupted when McGonagall blocks their view of each other. Draco takes the chance to move positions so he can still see Blaise pulverise Longbottom. Blaise probably wishes he could have someone who would challenge him right now. Still, Longbottom is an easy win, and Blaise will get a challenge in the next duel when he gets to round 2. 

Longbottom starts off wobbly, literally, almost tripping as he hastily casts a Shield to block Blaise’s Leg locker. To his surprise, Longbottom casts a Body Bind that has Blaise dodging instead of casting his own Shield. They exchange spells, though nowhere near as fast as his father and Flitwick had in the demonstration. Longbottom’s Shield had vastly improved, according to Lucius’s bi-weekly rankings.

They seem to take turns playing defence and offence with each other, each taking the opportunity to launch their own volley of attacks.

A bell rings, startling everyone. It’s the first time someone’s lasted the whole three minutes. What’s more shocking for Draco is that it’s Longbottom. 

“We have our first draw,” McGonagall announces with a smile. “Mr Zabini and Mr Longbottom, you will move on to round 2.”

Longbottom looks stunned, even as he and Blaise bow to each other.

“Well done, Neville,” Weasley number whatever cheers. Draco can’t tell which. It’s just one of the twins. 

Potter comes over as they all meet near the middle platforms. Draco inches closer, trying to hear what they’re saying. 

“You did great, Neville,” Potter tells his friend, smiling widely. 

“Ye- You think so? I didn’t win,” Longbottom stutters. 

“You didn’t lose either,” the Weasley girl says firmly. “I heard some others talking, and no one lasted the whole three minutes. I think they’re surprised because I reckon the teachers imagined more people would draw than anything. Harry’s been training all of us together, but clearly, you learned more than any of us. Dean and I lost our matches. Fred won his.”

Longbottom looked pleased with himself but said in shock, “You lost? With your Bat-bogey Hex?”

Weasley grimaces. 

“I knew you could do it, Neville,” Holly pipes up. “I’ve been watching you train with Harry sometimes, and you work hard like Harry.”

Weasley’s voice is fierce as she says, “I’ll train harder. Greengrass blocked my bat bogey, and that’s my strongest spell. I’ll just have to work on others like you.”

Weasley went up against Greengrass and thought she could win with a Bat-bogey Hex? Draco snorts incredulously. The girl is delusional.

“Harry – is it okay if I join you in the gym in the mornings?” Longbottom asks plaintively. “I just realised that I’ve not exercised since summer with you and the others. You and Dean go in the morning, don’t you? Can I join?” 

“Of course,” Potter agrees instantly. “As long you don’t mind that Holly and Pr-”

“I know,” Longbottom cuts him off. “I don’t care. I’ll still come.”

“You’re welcome anytime, Neville,” Potters tell the buffoon. 

“Do you really think it’ll help?” Weasley asks. “The exercise?”

“Yes,” Holly answers before Potter can. “Uncle Luc said his reflexes are much better since he started exercising with us. He said he beat ...the Professor.”

Draco’s pulled from his position by Blaise, who finds him in the crush. He would have liked to have heard more, but he’s still got plenty to think about. He knows Holly and his father join Potter in the gym every morning, and his father has asked him to attend the gym several times. Draco likes to wake up early to shower and style his hair to perfection. His parents always emphasised the matter of appearance and perception, so he takes pride in his meticulous grooming habits. 

Truthfully, he forgot about going to the gym. He doesn’t like getting up in the morning but forces himself to make himself presentable. He’d have to get up even earlier for exercise and give himself time to shower and present himself well. Maintaining his beautiful looks takes effort. Still, Longbottom will be training with Potter. Longbottom is tied with Blaise, skilled at duelling, and believes exercising with Potter will help. 

He told his father that he would ask Severus for their own space, and he hasn’t even bothered to do that, prioritising Quidditch and his homework and spending time with Pansy. Perhaps he would speak to Severus about it this weekend. 

“What are you in such deep thought about?” Blaise asks.

He’s about to answer, but his father’s voice calls out, “All right, everyone. Gather around for Round 2.”

 

ooOoo

Her father forces her to return to him, and at Harry’s prodding, Holly reluctantly moves back towards the Potions Master, knowing Harry is watching her the whole time. Still, she’s enjoying herself. She’s never seen duelling before. She’s seen Harry teach the Weasleys and some of the others but never seen them put into a sequence like she’d seen earlier. 

She knows Harry will win, or at least get the closest to it. She’s aware that sometimes he holds back. Part of it is what Oma taught him to do. Back when the Dursleys didn’t like that Harry did better than Dudley, Harry had to pretend he was dumb, so Dudley could look smart. Oma told Harry the exams mattered more than homework; as long he did well in his exams, everything else was meaningless. Oma always ensured Harry understood his school work, though, even after he started at Hogwarts, Oma gave Harry Mamma’s school books to help him. They’re filled with valuable notes, and Harry told her they belong to Holly. She doesn’t mind Harry using them, though. They’ve always shared everything else, so why not her mother’s books. It’s not like Holly will need them for another few years. 

So, she knows Harry knows a lot more than he lets other people think he does. He can make perfect potions, but other people don’t like it when he does that, so he’s got to pretend he can’t do that. She finds it horrible for Harry that he can’t show everyone how smart he really is. Even though Uncle Luc is training Harry every Sunday, Harry still doesn’t show Uncle Luc how good he really is at everything. 

Holly would like it if Harry wins in the Duelling club, but she understands that sometimes it’s better if people think you’re useless at some things. Harry pretends to be horrible in Potions and maybe some of his other classes, but he’ll be brilliant with his exams.

Her father’s looking around the Hall after he’s established she’s beside him again. Holly knows the Professor is still looking to break her and Harry apart, but she and her brother won’t let that happen. Harry was always there for her because he chose to be. Severus Snape didn’t even believe she existed, and now he wants to pretend he would have been a good dad to her. He can act overprotective all he wants, but she’ll never trust him. 

He never even tries to speak to her properly; just gives her doe-eyed looks. He’s never come to see her do gymnastics or asked about her photos. He’d just tried to take her stuff, got caught and then given up. She knew he liked Harry’s food until he found out that Harry had made it. Severus Snape is nothing but a liar. And he’s only making her stand with him because he wants to keep her away from Harry. 

He glances at Holly occasionally but then suddenly snaps to one of his students, “You lost your duel, Stebbins. Move to the spectator side of the room.”

Seeing his attention elsewhere, she absently looks around the room, her eyes catching with another boy. He’s tall, has long brown hair and is on the platform, but instead of looking at his opponent, he’s looking straight at Holly with a smile. But it’s a creepy smile, sending shivers down her spine.

The boy doesn’t take his eyes off her as he casts a spell. A deep red light leaves his wand, crackling and insidious, heading straight for Holly.