Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Classes Begin
When Julian finally awoke the next morning, he immediately regretted his decision to take the train the day before. His stomach, thankfully, had stopped threatening to expel all of its contents. His legs, on the other hand, were throbbing fiercely. Having not walked so far in years, his legs felt as though they were going to collapse as soon as he tried to stand on them. They burned and throbbed and reminded him every time he moved that he had made a poor decision the day before.

Grabbing his glasses from the side table, he looked at them expecting both legs to be massively swollen. It was a minor let down when they weren’t. Gingerly stretching, he was relieved when they didn’t spasm. Having not worked out or done hard labor in a very long time, he had forgotten what it felt like to be sore.

With a sigh, he looked at the clock sitting on his bedside table. It was four in the morning. Far too early for most to be awake, but there was no point in trying to go back to sleep. Now that he was awake he remembered what today was and all of his nervousness and excitement came flooding back.

Today was the first day of school.

This would be the first time in two years he would be attending school properly, even if it was only a partial schedule. Saying he was a bit nervous was an understatement. What if he was really far behind? What if his first class had them performing magic and he couldn’t do it? Would he be kicked out?

He had spent the last week of summer holidays reading and re-reading the textbooks for classes hoping that he wouldn’t be missing something. The texts for the classes involving spell casting were some of the more difficult for him to understand, but Severus assured him that he would not be the only one to struggle with theory.

“Even pure bloods won’t immediately do well with theory or even spell casting,” Severus had said, though Julian had his suspicions the man may be lying to him.

But there was no more time to prepare. Today he started classes.

Gingerly lowering himself out of the bed, he padded sock-footed out of his room and into the kitchen after a brief stop in the loo. He was unsurprised to find Severus already awake and sipping on a cup of strong coffee.

“Morning,” Julian said, yawning as he pulled out a vial of nutrient potion from the cabinet he had deemed to be his.

“Good morning, Julian,” Severus said, taking another sip of his coffee. “Did you sleep well?”

“Mhm,” Julian mumbled as he lifted his top to expose the feeding tube. “My legs are really sore this morning from all of the walking yesterday though.”

Severus snorted lightly into his cup. This didn’t surprise him at all. By the time this week was over, he fully suspected the boy would be even more sore than ever before just due to the number of stairs. He hoped Julian wouldn’t suffer too terribly, but the amount of walking and exercise would do him a lot of good physically. The only concern was if his magic was going to try and heal the damage done by the extra walking.

While Julian’s magical reserves were much more intact now than they had ever been before, his magic would still respond strangely from time to time in response to minor injuries the boy had. Occasionally it would respond to a minor injury such as a small cut as though it were a life threatening issue causing an absurdly large swing in the amount of magic in his core, other times it would hardly respond at all. While Julian was healing, his magic was also having to relearn how to respond in a proper manner. Attending classes where magic was used would help this process, however they were still dealing with the rather delicate balance of energy input versus output in regards to his magic and feeding.

A quick spell confirmed Julian’s magic wasn’t being overly responsive to his legs being sore, much to Severus’s relief.

“Are you ready to see your schedule?” he asked as Julian finished giving himself the nutrient potion and iron supplement.

Julian shrugged before sitting at the table and pulling his knees to his chest and straightening the placemat in front of him. He didn’t want to admit how nervous he was, but it wasn’t hard for Severus to see it as he had become quite accustomed to the boy’s nervous habits.

“You’ll be attending classes with the other first year Slytherins,” Severus said as he handed the folded piece of parchment over. “After each class using magic, you must go to the hospital wing so Poppy can do an assessment on you. Once we see how your magic responds to being used in class, we will set up additional tutoring with your professors so you do not fall too far behind your classmates.”

Julian nodded and looked at his schedule. One class a day was easily doable and gave him plenty of time to get there, especially if he didn’t go to meals.

“You missed the house meeting last night,” Severus said, spelling his now empty cup into the sink where it immediately disappeared.

Julian looked up from the schedule in shock. He hadn’t even thought of there being house rules. Or that he had missed a meeting. This was a terrible way to start the year, he could feel it.

“Don’t worry, it was only a ‘beginning of the year’ informational meeting going over house rules and expectations,” Severus said, noticing the fact Julian’s face had paled slightly. “In essence, all that you missed was that all Slytherin students are to get A’s or above, tutoring sign up is available for all ages and skill levels for both tutoring and to be a tutor, and a small announcement about yourself and that you won’t be held to any different standards from the rest of the house.”

Nodding mutely, Julian picked up the discarded newspaper and flipped aimlessly through it. He hoped for something interesting to catch his eye, but no such luck. Even the moving pictures didn’t have anything worthwhile today.

“Would you like to visit the Common Room before breakfast starts? There are still several hours before the other students get up.”

Nodding once more, Julian pulled his hat farther down over his ears.

“May I get dressed first?”

Severus nodded, frowning as the boy limped slightly on his way out of the room. After everything the child had gone through over the summer, he hoped this new soreness was just that: soreness. The logical part of his brain said it was just that, but there was also a small voice whispering that it could be something more sinister.

A few minutes later, Julian emerged from his bedroom looking every bit the Slytherin he now was, having even changed his hat to the emerald green one he had gotten over the summer. He was by far the smallest Slytherin Severus had ever laid eyes on, but he felt a bit of pride bloom in his chest at the sight of the boy. Take that, James Potter!

“How do you tie a tie?” Julian asked, grumbling, looking down at the offending article. He had tried his best to get it done up on his own but couldn’t figure it out. It wasn’t like he had ever had to do one on his own before; he had never been allowed to attend parties with the Dursleys and even his primary school uniform’s tie was a clip-on.

A quick spell and the tie tied itself in a perfect full windsor knot. It didn’t answer the question, but Severus had every intention of teaching Julian how to do that spell on his own. There were a number of basic housekeeping and personal hygiene spells that would be good for the boy to learn how to do.

“Now, follow me. There is an entrance which leads from our quarters to both my office and to the Slytherin common room, but it would be to your advantage to know how to get there the way the other students do. I also fully expect you to spend a decent amount of time in the Slytherin common room.”

Julian nodded, looking slightly green. What if they didn’t like him? The last year he attended normal school in Little Whinging, he had had to run away from Dudley and his friends on multiple occasions. While he was stronger now than he had been, he doubted he would be able to run away. He hoped his new house-mates would get along with him.

Exiting from their quarters and turning down a long hall in the dungeons, they walked for only a few minutes before Severus stopped in front of a blank stretch of wall. Julian noted in the dim light that there were small snakes carved into four points on the face of the stone wall.

“This is the entrance to the Slytherin dorms. Just state the password when standing by the wall and it will open. The password is changed every two weeks,” Severus said to him before turning to the wall. “Quia Sanguinem.”

The wall slid open revealing a long, low room with an elaborately carved fireplace around which several high backed chairs sat. There were several other chairs scattered around the room as well as several low tables which sat between the tables. There were green banners which hung from the walls and the entire room was lit by round, green-glass lamps which hung from the ceiling on chains. Along the wall opposite the fireplace was a small stretch of bookshelves, though they were sparsely populated compared to the shelves in Severus’s quarters. Over the mantle of the fire was a large moving portrait of a thin man holding a long snake.

“Welcome to Slytherin House, Julian,” Severus said quietly as the boy looked around.

Julian was immediately drawn to the bookshelf, curious as to what may be on its shelves. He could make out the sounds of his house-mates still sleeping down the long hallway which ran perpendicular to the room.

“That hallway leads to the boy’s dorms,” Severus said, noting where Julian’s head was turned towards. “The hall on the other side leads to the girls' dorms. Do not try to enter the girls' dorms, as there are some rather nasty wards set to prevent men from entering.”

“Hmm,” Julian hummed in response, continuing to peruse the book selection. Most of the books available he had already read. The sound of crinkling parchment drew his attention away from the books.

“Here’s your schedule, Min- Professor McGonagall sent it down last night after you were in bed.”

Julian silently took the offered piece of paper, noting with disgust that there was pre-scheduled study time built into it. Did Severus really not think he would study? There was also a time slot built in after each of his practical classes to go to the hospital wing, though he knew he would have to go there after every class for the first few weeks of classes anyway.

“Would you like to stay down here and wait for your classmates to wake up?” Severus asked. “I need to get my classroom ready for classes to begin. You are welcome to come with me, if you would rather.”

“I’ll stay here,” Julian said, having finally found a book which caught his attention. “Thank you, sir.”

“I’ll see you later this afternoon,” Severus said before turning and walking from the common room.




Transfiguration had been a disaster. Not really a disaster, but it certainly hadn’t been ideal.

They were meant to be transfiguring matches into needles, however few of the students actually achieved even somewhat of a transfiguration. A few students had managed to change the matchstick silver while others had made theirs have a point, but only Theodore Nott and a Ravenclaw girl had managed to complete the transfiguration

Julian’s matchstick, however, had the strangest reaction of them all. Rather than transfiguring in any proper way, his had begun to ooze a rather dark, sulfur-smelling red fluid. It then pulsated strangely and exploded, splattering anyone in a five foot radius with the fluid. While it looked like something out of a horror film, Julian was glad the fluid was not blood.

“Mr. Snape!” Professor McGonagall barked upon seeing the scene.

Julian didn’t answer, but instead continued to stare at red splatter where the matchstick had been. What had he done? Was this what his magic would do when he tried to use it?

Heart racing, he collapsed down onto the seat behind him as his head spun. He wasn’t on the verge of passing out, nor was he feeling nauseated or the overwhelming thirst the appearance of blood tended to give him normally. He just felt… shocked.

He hadn’t attempted to actually use magic since going to get a wand. The terror of relapsing back into the state he had been in and possibly attacking someone had been the driving force behind that decision as he was allowed to use magic while on school grounds. If this was how his magic would consistently react, he was afraid to use it again. It wouldn’t be long before the assumption was made that it was actual blood.

“Julian,” Professor McGonagall said more gently, spelling the remains of the sulfuric liquid and looking at the pale boy. “Are you ok?”

Julian nodded mutely after a few moments. He was fine, just shocked and embarrassed. The other students had all stopped and were looking at him. Some in shock, some in curiosity.

“Do you feel well enough to try again?”

Shaking his head, he quickly pocketed the wand and folded his hands in his lap. He didn’t want to think about what just happened, nor did he want to try it again. Not here at least. Maybe he could convince Severus to let him practice in their quarters, away from the curious eyes of the other students.

“Do you need to go to the Hospital Wing?” Professor McGonagall asked, worried the boy may pass out. She had never seen him quite as pale or terrified as now, even during the short time she watched him for Severus over the summer.

“No, ma’am,” Julian responded quietly, trying to still his shaking hands. “That’s not necessary.”

“Very well. While the other students practice, please re-read the theory on matter transfiguration and write a few paragraphs summarizing what you believe happened.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Julian said politely, pulling out his quill and parchment. Theory was something he could do much more easily. But how to explain what had happened? What had even happened? It couldn’t be explained away in such simple terms as ‘vampiric magic gone wrong,’ so how to explain it?

Whatever it was, it certainly wasn’t blood magic.

Watching the other students in more detail as they continued to practice, he was pleased to find that many of them were struggling with the transfiguration as much as he had been. He had been afraid that he would be well and truly behind the other students due to his lack of exposure to magic prior to this summer, but this didn’t seem to be the case. If this was how much they were struggling now, his hope of keeping up with the class was much more of a reality now. It would be harder with time, but for now, for these first few weeks, there was hope.

It wasn’t long until the end of the period and Julian found himself still staring at the blank parchment in front of him. He had no idea how to explain what had happened. He had done everything they had been told to do: all of the right wand motions, the right words, the right enunciation of the syllables. Where had he gone wrong to cause that type of reaction?

“Mr. Snape,” Professor McGonagall’s voice cut through his thoughts. “Please stay behind, I’d like a word with you please.”

Nodding his head, he finished packing away the few supplies he brought with him and remained seated as the other students left the room, shooting him curious looks and whispering amongst themselves. He doubted there wouldn’t be some strange rumor spread about him throughout the school by the end of the day.

Once the students were gone, Professor McGonagall sat down in the chair next to him. Sitting there, feet wrapped around the legs of the chair to prevent them from swinging as his toes barely touched the ground, she was yet again reminded of just how small the child was. Vampire or not, he was still a child. She sincerely doubted he knew how to purposefully tap into his vampiric blood magic, though it was not an improbability.

Best to speak to him about it now than to allow him to get used to how that magic felt.

“Mr. Snape, did you manage to come up with any theories as to why your match exploded?” Professor McGonagall asked, trying to sound as gentle as possible. No use terrifying the already scared boy.

Julian shook his head. “No, ma’am. The only thing I could think of was that my…illness… was affecting how my magic interacted with the match.”

“Julian, blood magic is illegal,” Professor McGonagall began. “You can’t use…”

“I know!” Julian cried out, covering his ears. He knew he couldn’t use blood magic. He and Severus had talked about what blood magic was and why it would be easier for him to use it, but that wasn’t blood magic! How could it be! There was no blood!

“You need to understand that blood magic…”

“Is dark. And illegal. And dangerous. I know!” He cried out, grabbing his bag and heading for the door. “That wasn’t blood!”

“Mr. Snape, I know what I saw!” Professor McGonagall said, standing as well and following him to the door. “I will be speaking with your father and the Headmaster about this.”

Julian paused, hand on the door, before whispering, “It wasn’t blood.”




“Julian, I know you’re awake,” Severus said, sitting on the end of the hospital wing bed. “We need to talk.”

Julian swallowed harshly and pulled the blankets further over his head. His nerves had been getting the better of him ever since he got to the hospital wing for his mandatory check up. What was Severus going to say? What would the headmaster say? Would he be allowed to stay? Would he be allowed to attend classes?

“I heard Minerva’s version of what happened today, but I want to know your side of the events. She seemed to believe you used blood magic…”

“Blood magic requires blood, yeah?!” Julian said harshly, trying to prevent tears from coming to his eyes.

“Yes, it does,” Severus responded neutrally. “Blood magic requires the blood of a living being in order to be utilized.”

“There was no blood! I didn’t use any blood!” Julian said, pulling his knees to his chest. It was an awkward position, but he felt more comfortable like this.

“She said there was a small explosion of blood which covered yourself and several of your classmates in the splatter.”

“It wasn’t blood. I think it was the red stuff from the end of the match turned into a liquid. It smelled like sulfur, not iron. There was no way it was blood!” Julian continued to insist. “I didn’t use any blood. I don’t know what happened, but it wasn’t blood magic. I swear. I don’t even know what that would feel like!”

Severus looked at the boy pensively. If Julian wasn’t a vampire, this would be a non-issue. Minerva would have assumed the match had liquified and exploded, a much more common reaction for a first time transfiguration. While he thoroughly believed Julian had not used any dark magic in class, he was not there to witness it.

“Can you describe what happened for me?”

“Am I being expelled?” Julian asked, voice muffled by the blanket and cracking slightly.

Severus recoiled slightly. Minerva had spoken with the Headmaster, yes, but not about expulsion. She was concerned Julian was beginning to show preference for dark magic, but never once had mentioned expelling the child.

“No, child. You are not being expelled.”

“You aren’t going to send me away?” he asked softly, pulling himself into a small ball under the covers.

“I have told you once and I will tell you again, you will never go back to those awful people,” Severus said firmly. “I do not care if you used blood magic or not. You are in the process of learning how to tap into your magic and use it appropriately, mistakes are going to happen, that is a simple fact. I cannot, however, speak on your behalf to the rest of staff to assure them that you were not purposefully using blood magic if I don’t know what happened.”

Slowly, Julian unfurled himself in the bed to sit up. Keeping his knees pulled to his chest, he looked pensively at where Severus sat. It was still strange to him to have someone actively looking out for his well being. Someone who listened to his side of the story and didn’t punish him without reason.

“I was trying to use the spell like everyone else in the class. At first, my match didn’t do anything at all. Maybe it had started to go pointy at one end, but that was it. Then it started leaking that red stuff on the table. I tried one more time to transfigure the match and it exploded and the red stuff got all over everyone around me. It definitely didn’t smell like blood though and I didn’t want to try doing the transfiguration again in case it happened again.”

Whatever Julian thought Severus’s reaction would be, looking up and seeing the man smirking at him was not it.

“I believe I know what happened,” Severus said bemusedly. “I believe your match liquified slightly before exploding. That is not an unheard of reaction for some transfigurations. Were you focused on the transfiguration itself, or were you distracted by something?”

Julian thought about it for a moment. He didn’t think that he was more unfocused than the other students. Yes, he had been a bit preoccupied with what the other students were doing, but he figured that the other students were in the same boat.

“I … don’t think so? I was worried that the other students would be better than me, but I didn’t feel extremely behind like what I was afraid of,” he said with a small smile before the smile melted off of his face only to be replaced by a look of worry. “It just … happened. I had taken my iron before class and the morning albumin had just finished as well, so I wasn’t hungry. I could hear their heartbeats, but I was more interested in the coursework! I promise!”

“And I believe you,” Severus said with a sigh. “I’ll speak with Minerva tonight. In the meantime, try to work on the homework for the class. In future, do not attempt spell casting if there is any red fluid which could be mistaken for blood. Untrained magic tends to be rather explosive and it won’t do for you to be mistaken for using blood magic.”

Julian nodded once more, eyes downcast. It wasn’t blood, that much he knew. He had just hoped to not be the freak here at Hogwarts like he had been in Little Whinging and already he was failing at it.

“Now, chin up,” Severus said, gently taking Julian’s chin and lifting it so they were making eye contact. “Other than that little incident, how was the rest of your day?”