Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 12
“Harry, I’d like you to meet Zachary Wilson, Manish Rao and Gideon Zabini. Your new dormmates. Guys, this is Harry Potter, he’s rooming with us now.” Lucas Moore- the prefect- stated as they entered the dorm room.

Harry hugged his bag to his chest as he looked around.

The dorm room looked similar to his old one - a rectangular room with dark wooden floors and walls, and emerald green decor. There was fewer beds this time, and Harry noticed one with his trunk placed beside it.

The other difference to his last dorms were its habitants: they were undoubtably bigger and scarier looking that his last. Harry thought he had heard Lucas say the surname Zabini and hoped he'd misheard, and that he was not in anyway associated with Blaise Zabini- who Harry was all too familiar with. He gulped.

“Is this some kind of joke?” One of the boys asked, he was sat crossed-legged on one of the beds, surrounded by papers, seemingly doing one of his assignments. He had dark skin and a narrow, thin face and a crease between his eyebrows as he gazed on Harry.

“No, Manish.” Lucas replied, he tapped Harry’s shoulder and nudged him gently towards the empty bed with Harry's trunk “Snape’s orders.”

“Bunking with a firstie, merlin how embarrassing.” Another boy chimed in, he was lazing on a bed next to the empty one Lucas pointed him to. He was decidedly the scariest of the group, he was built and muscular and had a scowl etched on his face as he examined Harry, his hand’s behind his head and a quaffle beside him as he lazed on his bed. Harry hurried to his bed and looked away.

“Hey. Play nice, Zabini.” Lucas warned, his face hardened. So this boy was the one related to Blaise? Looking at him again he could see the resemblance, but a glance at his sizeable fists made Harry sure he did not want to get on his bad side, he made Blaise look like a toddler. Lucas continued, his voice stern. “You know Snape wouldn’t move him without good reasons. So suck it up.”

“What kind of reasons?” The final fourth year boy chimed in, Harry looked to him to see a blond boy with pale skin and a round face, fussing with what seemed like a pet snake, he had a mischievous smile on his face making Harry slightly uneasy. “You some kind of weirdo then, Potter?” He laughed and the other two boys chuckled along.

Harry clenched his teeth and looked away. So, this wouldn’t be that different to his old dorm after all. Harry heard a hissing coming from the blond boy's snake, he didn't sound happy and Harry thought he heard it hiss the words: "Ssssso cold"

Harry wondered why the boys were ignoring the snake, clearly trying to ask for help.

“Back off him guys.” Lucas gritted. “Or I’ll have to tell Snape you all don’t respect his decisions as head of house…”

Harry felt something swell in his chest, similar to when Ron stuck up for him on his first day against Draco.

“Oh, don’t get your knickers in a twist Luc,” The blond one rolled his eyes and chuckled. “You know since you became a prefect, you’re really no fun.”
“Snape trusted me with-“

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever.” The blond boy interrupted, he placed his snake down on his bed before promptly walking in Harry’s direction, Harry’s eyes widened at the older boy’s approach. He sat on Zabini’s bed (with slight protest from Zabini which he ignored), which was opposite Harry’s and stuck his hand out. “Sorry mate, we’re just joking with you. I’m Zach by the way.”

Harry hesitantly shook it and the blond boy – Zach – nodded, seeming satisfied with Harry’s answer.

“I’m Manish,” The boy surrounded by papers called out, not looking up from his papers but waved distractedly in Harry’s direction. “And as long as you’re quieter than these idiots, I don’t mind you being here, firstie.”

Harry offered a small smile, not sure why as the boy – Manish – didn’t look over at him anyway, he was too occupied with his textbooks. Harry heard him mutter something about being unprepared.

“Well, I mind.” Gideon Zabini muttered, breaking the silence. He threw his quaffle in the air and caught it sharply.

“Oh, shove off Zabini.” Lucas rolled his eyes. “It’s your brat of a brother and his friends who drove Potter out anyway.”

“Blaise? Ha, he couldn’t hurt a fly.” Gideon Zabini scoffed, throwing the quaffle again. “They can't have done anything that bad. Potter was probably just sensitive.” He offered Harry a glare.

Harry didn’t grace his words with a response and took to opening his trunk to check all his belongings remained, relieved they seemed the same as he’d left them.

This was ok. He could deal with this, it was worth it to sit with his friends during meals. Apart from Gideon Zabini, the other boys seemed ok, but Harry wasn't about to let his guard down so easily around them. First impressions could be deceiving.

As it was already late, Harry washed up and crawled into his new bed. It had been a strange day, one he couldn't have predicted when he woke up that morning preparing to be expelled from Hogwarts and his wand (along with his hopes and dreams) destroyed in front of him.

He let himself think about Snape's strange behaviour. The man was unpredictable and it made Harry nervous. He'd been cruel to Harry since he'd arrived, yet earlier he had seemed almost concerned for Harry, enough to make a preposition in order to make Harry feel more comfortable. It was odd, but Harry didn't let himself wish that Snape's new behaviour would be a long-term change. He'd probably be back to normal tomorrow.

Harry closed the soft curtains around his bed, the other boys continued to chat quietly around him but Harry already felt the exhaustion of his emotional day catch up with him and slipped off to sleep.

--

“What are you doing?” Harry cringed as Lucas’s voice sounded from behind him.

He felt his cheeks blush as he saw Lucas on his way to the washroom, standing next to where Harry was over his trunk, wand outstretched.

He was hoping to get up early before the older boys woke and put his repelling charms on his trunk and then make a hasty escape to breakfast. It had become his routine in the first year dorms, especially after the disastrous first day where the other boys tricked him and stole his stuff.

“Nothing.” Harry whispered; he didn’t want the other boys waking up. “Sorry for waking you. I’m just going to breakfast early.”

“Are you putting a repelling charm on your trunk?” Lucas insisted, a baffled look on his face. He voice seemed loud in calm stillness of the morning.

“I-“ Harry felt like a deer in headlights. Lucas’s voice made the other boys stir.

“You know, they were just teasing you last night.” Lucas said. “Gideon’s all talk, he won’t do anything to your stuff.”

Harry looked unsure, glancing worriedly to the bed beside him in which Zabini slept, and then back at his own belongings.

“Merlin- the other firsties- they were messing with your stuff?” Lucas said, incredulous. He asked it like a question, but it seemed like he already knew the answer, so Harry just looked away. “No wonder Snape moved you. That’s awful.”

“What’s awful?” Zach poked his head around his curtain with a yawn. Harry sighed, so much for making a hasty, solitude escape.

Lucas continued, staring quite intently at Harry. “Slytherins are supposed to look out for their own, not tear people down.”

“Ugh, here he goes again.” Zach flopped back into his bed dramatically with a groan.

“What?” Lucas exclaimed. “I want to get Slytherin out of its bad rep, and then some firsties come along and screw it up. It pisses me off, okay?”

“Who’s possibly pissed who off at this time in the morning?” Manish appeared from behind his emerald curtains, stretching his neck with a yawn. “Seriously why are you guys up so early? You know I need my sleep for this stupid Charms test today.”

“I have a prefects meeting.” Lucas replied. “And saw Harry awake and casting charms on his trunk. The firsties were messing with his stuff and now he thinks we are going to as well.” He explained, Harry gaped.

“I- um.“ Harry didn’t know what to say, he didn’t like everyone’s eyes on him. He felt so small in this dorm room. Maybe they'd all be offended and torment harry for it, who knows what scary spells these fourth year Slytherins knew, Harry wouldn't stand a chance.

“Blaise messed with your stuff?” A voice asked from beside him, Harry jumped to see the older Zabini had emerged from his slumber too, he looked angry.

Harry looks away immediately. His silence seemed to be enough confirmation to the older Zabini, Gideon.

“That little shit.” He cursed. “I’ll talk to him.”

“No, please don’t.” Harry begged, having found his voice again. “They’ll already be mad at me for moving dorms and- it’ll just make it worse.”

“Even more reason for me to talk to him.” Gideon Zabini shrugged. “It’s like Luc said – Slytherins look after their own. Even if you're a bit weird, Potter. ”

Harry looked at Gideon with confusion. The boy seemed to hate him last night, what changed? Apart from calling him weird, but Harry barely noticed name calling like that anymore.

Harry shrugged, as the boys started to move and get up for the day. “I can handle them. I'm fine.”

“Sure…” Zach laughed sarcastically. “Is that why Snape moved you here, then?” He teased, reaching down to pick up his snake from its small cage who hissed once again.

"Sssssso cold. Pleassse."

Harry wondered again why the boys were ignoring it, he felt sorry for the snake, and couldn't bare to hear it's cries anymore.

“Your snake keeps saying it’s cold, why do you ignore him?” Harry asked bravely. It was the first time he’d volunteered an interaction with the fourth years, but he didn’t want any more questions asked about the other first year boys and wanted a change of topic.

Everyone paused in the room. Gideon stopped throwing his quaffle, Manish stopped rustling his papers, Lucas stopped routing through his trunk for clothes, and stared at Harry.

“Rocko is fine, firstie.” Zach scoffed, holding his pocket-sized, green snake up in the air to show him off. “He’s just been a bit restless since we got back to Hogwarts but he won’t bite if that’s what you’re worried about-”

“Wait, did you say- you heard it speak?” Lucas interrupted, gazing intensely at Harry again.

"Ssstupid human, ssssso cold."

“Listen closely, he just spoke again.” Harry insisted, why were they making him feel stupid, it was clearly saying words.

“Harry, all we can hear are hisses…” Lucas replied slowly.

“No way! You’re a parcelmouth?” Manish said. Everyone was staring at Harry now.

“A what?” Harry timidly asked. He hated this attention.

“A parcelmouth - You can talk to snakes.” Gideon drawled.

“Well, yeah.” Harry said, feeling small. “I thought all wizards could…”

“No, Harry. It’s an extremely rare gift.” Lucas replied, almost with a look of awe on his face. “You’ve talked to snakes before?”

“Well, once. I kind of sent a boa after my cousin once.” Harry said. "By accident." He added, sheepishly.

“Wicked.” Manish grinned.

“Wait- this is mad useful!” Zach exclaimed, once the facts seemed to have sunk in, running to Harry’s bed with Rocko in hand. “You said he was cold? Can you talk to him more? Something’s been up with him since we got back to Hogwarts, he’s not been eating much either.”

Before he knew it, Harry suddenly had a pet snake in his lap and slithering up his arm. Instead of being scared Harry giggled as it tickled his skin.

The other boys went silent, crowding round and looked at him expectantly. Harry didn't know if he could communicate on demand, but from all the attentive glances he didn't have much choice but to try.

“Um, hello Rocko.” Harry said, unsure if he’d look silly if he want just speaking English outloud.

Zach whistled under his breath and Lucas let out a shallow gasp. Harry guessed he was speaking this snake language. It was strange, it just sounded like English to him.

The snake – Rocko- responded immediately, it’s beady head shooting up to stare at Harry, it’s tongue bolting out in curiousity.

"A sssssspeaker?"

"Yessssss my name is Harry."


Rocko curled around Harry's wrist, curious of the young wizard.

"Pleassssed to meet your acquaintance massssster Harry."

"I’m no massssster, jusssst a friend."

"Okay friend Harry."
The snake replied.

Harry sneaked a glance at his new dorm-mates who were staring in awe. Harry felt his cheeks heat up. He then remembered what he was supposed to be doing.

"Why are you not eating? Issss ssssomething the matter?" Harry asked.

"Apart from the sssssame ssssstale food every day?

Harry giggled a little at the snake’s response, as it slithered to the top of Harry’s arm and over his neck. Harry shivered but didn’t mind the snake’s presence.

"Tell my masssster thessse dungeonssss are too cold, I losssse my appetite."

“Ok, what on earth is my snake saying to you that’s so amusing firstie?” Zach asked, his voice baffled.

Harry remembered his audience and his smile dropped. “Oh I'm sorry. I forgot you guys can’t-“ Harry cut himself off to stop rambling. Of course they can't understand his exchange with the snake. That's why he had the snake in his lap in the first place. “He said he’s too cold in these dungeons and it means he loses his appetite for food. Maybe you could add a blanket to his cage? I think he’d like that. Oh and maybe some different foods sometimes?”

It was silent for a while as the fourth years stared at Harry.

He hoped he'd said the right thing and that they weren't offended. Or maybe they were weirded out by Harry talking to snakes. Another thing Harry could add to the list of reasons he wasn't normal.

But then Zach swiftly leaned forward and gently took Rocko out of Harry’s grip. “I’m sorry Rocko. I wasn't thinking, of course it'd be colder here than at home in Wales.” He said to his snake and then looked up at Harry, with a grin. “Thanks firstie.”

“That was brilliant.” Manish added.

Lucas smiled at Harry too, and even Gideon Zabini looked impressed. Harry felt a warmth in his chest. Maybe sharing a room with these Slytherins wouldn’t be so bad after all.