Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Snape comes at the end of the chapter.
Chapter 2

“ You need to work on your wand – movement to get this diagnostic charm correct, Mr. Potter”, Madam Pomfrey said as she demonstrated the correct wand-movement.

”Yes, Madam Pomfrey”, Harry replied as he copied her movement. He might have got it right as she nodded and said , “ Run the diagnostic charm and note down each of the findings on separate parchments. Then, hand over those to Healer Bott. You will be given the required potions to feed the patients. And yes, do not forget to write the name of the patients on the parchments for God’s sake. I had enough of these childish blunders! Am I understood?”

Harry nodded fervently and replied, “Yes, madam.”

”Good. Hurry up now, do not waste time.”

Harry rushed to the cabinet to grab the parchments. He headed to the table near the cabinet to get hold of a self -inking quill. He sprinted across the Hospital Wing to get to the first bed. As soon as he reached the bed, he pulled out his wand to swirl and flick it over the patient. A screen appeared displaying general information and symptoms experienced by the patient. Harry copied it down dutifully on the parchment and tallied it with the screen just to be sure. And then, he moved to the next bed.

It took almost an hour to complete the diagnosis. Harry arranged the parchments in the correct order and handed them over to Healer Bott. The healer’s freckled face was etched with a smile as he spoke in his husky voice, ”Good work there lad. This time these are perfectly documented. Wait here while I bring the potions.” Harry could not help but grin over his little achievement. He managed to get the diagnostic charm right and did no mistake in documenting the symptoms. He vividly remembered how a seventh year Rawenclaw mucked up the reports on his first day. A man down with fever had received stomach draught and a girl having stomach ache got fever reducing potion. It had caused quite a stir in the Hospital Wing. The patients were terrified and started fleeing. They created quite a ruckus. The furniture were upturned, vials were shattered and medical instruments were broken. The healers tried to calm the patients down but no vail; they were inconsolable. The guards had to intervene to control the situation. Thank Merlin, there was no lasting damage. Madam Pomfrey was really furious.

The administration had become more strict after this. They had then ordered volunteers to go under training to get acquainted with the basic procedures and first aid. Harry was not allowed to enter the Hospital Wing for a week until he was thorough with the basic procedures. He was elated that he was doing the work well.

His inner musings were interrupted by the heavy footsteps of the Healer. He handed him a tray of numbered potion vials and instructed, “These are the potions needed. Give them according to the doses written.” with which he handed Harry a piece of paper. “Finish this and then you have next task waiting for you.” Harry nodded and walked away to dose the patients with their respective potions.


Two weeks later:-

Harry stretched as he completed his shift. These couple of weeks had been nothing but hectic. He had been on his toes lately. Though there were fifty students volunteering; he had to work round the clock. He was so tired that he could not even lift a finger. All he could think was of lying on his bed and sleep.’Do not forget that you have to use the sanitizing spell as well’, a voice whispered in his head and he groaned in frustration. All of this was so tiring.

”Mr. Potter”, called out Madam Pomfrey as he was contemplating the pros and cons of forgoing the sanitizing spell. Harry turned around to face her and asked, “Yes?”

“I wanted to inform you that you will not report to the Hospital Wing from tomorrow.”

”What! Why? Did I make some mistake? How is that possible? I made sure there were none.", Harry wondered the matron could read minds. The healers did warn them against the violation of the protocols but he did not know that just a thought of it would result into expulsion. Though all this was tiring, he liked looking after the patients. He really did not want to be removed so soon. "I am so sorry. I won't let you people down. Trust me, you would not regret it. Just give me one more chance-“

” Stop babbling, Mr. Potter. You made no mistake. I was merely stating that you have been transferred to the Grippe ward. Honestly! Kids these days.”

“Oh, sorry.”, said Harry sheepishly.

“Now, I want you to collect a protective gear from the Healer and report to the Great Hall on sharp eight ‘o clock. Is that understood?”

“ Yes, madam.”

" And one more thing. Do not go forget the santizing spell."

Harry now believed that the matron could read minds.


' I look like an alien’, thought Harry when he looked into the mirror after wearing the protective gear which covered him all over. It was highly uncomfortable and difficult to walk in. He was already sweating like a horse in it, he wondered what might when he would wear it for an entire day.' Maybe I'll evaporate'. The only thing Harry was glad about was that it covered his face completely. Therefore nobody could see the scar and act barmy about it. He could finally work in peace without being bothered about the awkward stares.

As soon as he entered the Great Hall,a sense of urgency engulfed his senses. He was greeted by the sight of frantic healers overseeing the patients. The tables had been removed to be replaced with the beds. The beds were arranged in rows through out the hall. Each bed had a small table beside it. The curtains were erected around each bed for the privacy of the patient. There were volunteers rushing to and fro. The patients were soundly asleep or painfully awake. He could hear the shouting of the instructions as well as the hushing of the reassurances. Though the Great Hall was busy as ever, it did not have the same charm. A voice called out for him. He turned around to face a man with a clipboard. He enquired, ”Your code?”

“Three one zero seven.”

“ You have been allotted bed number seven. You need to look after the patients. You need to make sure they take the potions and have food on time. Check their vitals regularly. Use minimal magic on them; only the diagnostic charm. Grippe escalates with the use of strong magic. For detailed instructions, contact the healer incharge. Understood?”

“ Fine, thanks.”

As he made his way towards the allotted bed, a chaos around the eighth one caught his attention. He wondered what was it all about. The hubbub around the bed was increasing;so was Harry’s curiosity. Finally his curiosity got better of him as he found himself walking towards the commotion. As he came nearer, he was greeted by the heated argument between a healer and a fellow volunteer.

“ No! I can’t do this.”

“You have to do this.”

” I did not sign up for this.”

“ Actually you did. You did volunteer for helping the healers in the treating the patients.”

“I did. But I will not touch a slimy, disgusting-“

“ Enough! You said it once but I will not tolerate this insolence any longer. As a medical staff, you ought to treat all your patients equally. This is a breach of conduct and I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS!“

' Whom are they arguing about?’, thought Harry. He walked towards the bed and drew back the curtains. He was greeted by the sight of pale and unmoving Severus Snape.

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
I have made some changes in this chapter.