Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:
 

 

Friday 8th January

Friday 8th January

Severus Snape’s concern for his six year old son was growing. He wasn’t sure what was going on with the child.

It wasn’t the first time, of course. It had been a tough couple of months, and Harry was certainly growing up fast. But this was different.

And it had all started with a Christmas present.

Sitting in the chair by the fire, Severus cast his mind back to the Christmas he had just spent with his adopted son.

It had been a pleasant day, and Harry had received a great many gifts. Amongst those from Severus, a Junior Wizard’s Chess set, a Starshine Starter Broom and a set of wizarding children’s story books, because Harry loved to read with him before bed.

But this Christmas, Severus had wanted to give Harry something extra special.

The questions had started not long prior, and it was only natural that the boy wanted to know where he had come from.

So with the help of the some of the other staff at Hogwarts who had been close with James and Lily Potter, Severus had gifted Harry a large photo album, full of pictures. Most of them were taken within the first year of Harry’s life – memories of him with his parents that the child had likely never seen before.

There were some of James and Lily when they were younger too, and even one of himself with Lily, just before they had started school. Harry was quite taken with that one.

But then, his son had gone quiet. Too quiet.

Harry had spent the majority of time within the period between Christmas and New Year in his bedroom, looking at that album – examining the photos closely.  He hadn’t asked any further questions, however, and had been quieter than usual during their time spent together.

Harry didn’t want to play with his chess set or practice on his new broom. He seemed subdued, and Severus couldn’t help feeling there was something troubling the boy.

As January had come around, Harry’s strange behaviour didn’t cease.  

Term wasn’t due to start until the following week, but Severus had a great deal to prepare before it did.  Deciding the boy would probably benefit from some fresh air and a change of scene, he suggested Harry spend that Friday with Hagrid.  

But unusually, Harry had refused.

In fact, he was quite insistent that he wanted to spend the day with Minerva. An unlikely choice, given that Harry often complained of boredom whenever he was required to spend an extended period of time with one of the other professors.

All the same,  Severus had permitted it, and Harry had spent most of Friday with the Gryffindor head of house, returning just before dinner, which he had eaten in silence.

Standing up from his chair, the potions master moved down the corridor of his quarters, knocking gently on the door of Harry’s bedroom.

 “Harry?”

A mumbled reply from the other side.

 “May I come in?” Severus asked.

 “No, don’t come in!” Harry called.

 “Why not?” he countered – he did not like it when his son became secretive in this way.

 “I’m busy!” was the response.

Busy looking at that album again, no doubt.

 Severus took a moment to compose himself before he spoke again. After all, the headmaster was always reminding him that getting angry with the child only made everything ten times worse.

 “If you wish to read a story before bedtime, I suggest you pick one shortly,” he said, trying to sound calm.

 “It’s okay,” Harry replied. “I don’t need a story tonight, Daddy.”

Severus arched an eyebrow.

 “Very well. But if you should change your mind within the next 10 minutes, I shall be in our usual spot.”

With that, he started back towards the lounge.

Something must certainly be wrong if Harry didn’t want a story before bed. Harry always wanted a story before bed.

And then it dawned on him.

Stopping in his tracks, Severus glanced back in the direction of his son’s bedroom.

He had given Harry that photo album and ever since, the boy had been pensive – withdrawn, even.

Harry had spent hours staring at those pictures. And today, he had opted to spend the day with Minerva McGonagall, the Gryffindor head of house – the teacher who had perhaps been closest with James and Lily during their school years.

Suddenly, it all made sense.

Letting Harry see those photographs had made the boy realise what he was missing out on. It had allowed him a glimpse into his former life, into the wonderful life he could have had were his parents not killed.

The life, Severus realised, that the boy evidently wanted so desperately, instead of the one he had been given instead.

The one here with him.

oOoOoOo