Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 28 - Tomorrow, Just You Wait and See

Harry stepped off the train with a grin. He turned and gave Ron and Hermione a wave before he ran up to Emmeline and Severus.

"Why didn't we just apparate from Hogwarts?" Harry offered with a chuckle.

"Was the train yard unpleasant?" Severus asked with a sniff. Harry blushed.

"No, it was fun." He admitted. He turned and the three of them picked up his luggage and Hedwig's cage. The owl looked a bit disgruntled.

"You'll be out of there in a few moments you feathered beast," Severus said to her with a roll of his eyes. The bird gave him a somehow scathing look before ruffling her feathers and giving a screech. "Yes yes."

"You have everything?" Emmeline asked. Harry nodded as he slung his firebolt over his shoulder. Emmeline grabbed his free hand before Severus grabbed his shoulder. Then they disappeared. Harry took a deep breath in. The sea breeze was coming in from the beach and filled him with an instant sense of calm.

"Give us a minute to unpack," Emmeline said with a smile. "Then we can come help set up your room."

"What?" Harry muttered in confusion, a lump forming.

"I'm sure the off-grey paint wouldn't be your first choice," Severus argued as he pulled his and Emmeline's suitcases through the door. "Don't put anything up on your walls. Or it'll change colour."

Harry was still frozen in the living room, staring at his father with tears slowly collecting in the corner of his eyes. He sucked in a hiccup which made Emmeline turn to him with horror.

"Oh Harry darling, are you alright?!" Harry immediately latched onto Severus and sobbed into his shirt. Severus sighed and pet his hair gently.

"It's alright " he murmured. "I know."

"Thank you," Harry whispered into him. Severus placed a lingering kiss on the top of his head.

"Go unpack." He insisted. Harry pulled away, grinning through his tears before he tore away and did just that. And instantly Harry's grip was replaced by Emmeline, who was sobbing into his shoulder. Severus sighed and shushed her gently as well.

"Come on Emm. We have to clear a space in my wardrobe for you…" Severus complained. That made the woman wail a little louder for a second before she suddenly turned away, tears still streaming down her face, but seemingly determined to ignore them. Severus chuckled and followed her.


Harry stepped back from his wall with a smile. He had his Gryffindor pendant and his various drawings all pinned up the way he liked them. Dean had given him a signed David Beckham poster for Christmas, which he was still reeling about. The thing was probably worth his weight in gold! With the pastel mint green walls and the new mahogany finish of the furniture, Harry felt those years well up again.

His room.

Not a spare.

Not Dudley's second.

His.

Emmeline walked in to see him standing in the middle of the room crying into his hand.

"Darling," she began delicately. "It's almost time for supper." Harry sobbed again before he turned and fell into her embrace.

"I love you, mum." He finally sobbed. Emmeline had to bite her lip from sobbing herself as she took a deep breath and gave him another kiss on the head.

"I love you too Harry darling." She whispered. Then she pulled out a handkerchief and wiped first her own eyes and then his. "Now come along!" She cried, grasping his hand. "Time for supper!"


'There'll be bluebirds over,

The white cliffs of Dover,

Tomorrow,

Just you wait and see.'

Emmeline pulled the clothesline tight again, hanging up Severus' cardigan with a huff. That stain was stubborn for sure. She'd have to get him a proper apron for Christmas. Why he didn't already have one specifically for his lab was a mystery to her.

'There'll be love and laughter,

And peace, ever after

Tomorrow,

When the world is free.'

She pulled up Harry's favourite jeans next and sighed. Grass stain on the knees again! The boy needed a knee pad for gardening, honestly! She paused to look over at his little vegetable garden and smiled.

'the shepherd will tend his sheep,

The valley will bloom again,

And Jimmy will go to sleep,

In his own little room again!'

She stepped back from the wash with a slight grin because she turned back to the house and belted out the last chorus with glee.

'there'll be bluebirds over,

The white cliffs of Dover,

Tomorrow,

Just you wait, and, see!"

"Emmeline," Severus whispered in awe. The woman shrieked and tossed the laundry into the air before she grasped her chest.

"Sweet Merlin Severus, you scared me half to death!" She cried with a frown. "No stalking silently in the house! Save it for tormenting the students!"

"Sorry," Severus said with a wince. "Habit. Usually, it takes me about a week to start walking normally again." Emmeline scoffed and shook her head before she picked up the scattered clothes again. "I… I was wondering…"

"Yes?" Emmeline asked.

"I was thinking we might have dinner out tomorrow," Severus explained casually.

"The White Horse?" Emmeline offered. Severus nodded. Emmeline smiled.

"Harry will like that. I think he might be addicted to their treacle."

"Not with Harry," Severus said as casually as he could. "Just the two of us." Emmeline's smile widened.

"Why Severus… are asking me out on a date?" She demanded with a grin.

"Yes," Severus admitted with the telltale dusting of pink on his cheekbones.

"Well, I accept. Only… are you sure we can leave Harry on his own?"

"There's plenty of food in the fridge. And I trust him not to burn the house down… intentionally anyway."

"The boy is a magnet for trouble though," Emmeline argued. "I'd feel better if someone came to watch him."

"Who do you have in mind?" Severus asked.


Remus sighed and rubbed a hand against his neck to try and rub out that one sore spot he could never seem to get rid of. The last moon had been a hard one, compounding stress making the change all the more painful. A knock on his office door made him look up in confusion. Albus usually used the floo and Minerva always sent an owl. Then the door opened before he could even access it and the identity of the visitor instantly filled Remus with a flicker of rage.

"Remus!" Sirius cried, a sloppy grin on a familiar face. "It's been ages! I see you're buried in marking. Must be why you haven't come to visit me!"

"Among other things." Remus agreed in a cold voice. Sirius blinked in shock and his smile weakened slightly.

"Come on old friend. Surely I can't have upset you already? I've only been here a minute!" He joked. Remus had to drop his Quill. Despite the moon still being two weeks away, his strength was getting the better of him. "Whatever it is- say the word- I'll apologize for it!"

"You don't realize what you've done wrong?" Remus demanded cooly. Sirius scoffed.

"Obviously not," he declared, suddenly growing annoyed. "I wouldn't have asked. I don't understand why you're being so hostile."

"You made a promise Sirius." Remus reminded him. Sirius blinked before he winced.

"Ah? Is this about your birthday? Look I'm sorry about the… situation… with Peter. But I thought it took precedent!"

"'I dedicate myself to the safety and well-being of this child, given the name of Harrison James Potter, to protect him from all ills and shelter him from pain, anguish, and all other evil deeds'!" Remus bellowed, rising to his feet with a fire in his eyes. Sirius was momentarily stunned. Then slowly his face curled into a sneer.

"You can't be serious? This is because of Snivellous's bastard?! Why do you even care?!" Sirius demanded. Remus shook his head in disgust.

"You are the most loathsome person I have ever known." Remus declared. "So utterly petty that you couldn't let go of a schoolyard rivalry 4 YEARS after we had left. It is absolutely pathetic. And even now, at the cusp of a brewing war, you still hold onto your childish past."

"You're seriously upset because I don't what to have anything to do with a child whose real identity was hidden from me by two people I thought I could trust more than anything?!" Sirius demanded. Remus snorted and shook his head again.

"I'm upset because you can't take responsibility for your own actions." Remus declared. "Right there, you blamed Lily and James for tricking you. But if you hadn't been such a pathetic arse, they would still be alive." Sirius flinched at Remus' coldness "because the truth is that you killed them, Sirius. Not Harry." Sirius was shaking with rage now, face a twisted mask of anger and hurt. "And until you can accept that, we can never be friends again." That snapped Sirius out of his anger.

"What?" He croaked in shock.

"As you can see Mr. Black, I am very busy with some last-minute marking. The headmaster had to pull several strings to get me an allowance so I really must get back to it. Unless you have an inquiry about a student at this institution, kindly vacate my office." Remus said, keeping his voice level and professional as he returned to his marking.

"Remus-" Sirius began, utterly distraught.

"I did not give you leave to use my first name, Mr. Black." Remus drawled cooly "that is a right reserved for friends," he gestured to a photo on his desk, taken of Hogwarts staff, sans Rolanda, at a quidditch match. He and Emmeline took centre stage sharing popcorn. Occasionally Minerva would pop in with a witty joke and the pair would laugh, or Charity would turn around and make a sly comment that made Remus blush and Emmeline nearly fall out of her seat laughing. It was at these moments that Severus' nose would poke out of the book he held over his face the vast majority of the time with the faintest hint of a smile. As Remus stared at the photo a sense of peace descended over him and he smiled. Yes. This was the right call. Sirius was staring at the image with some shock before he looked at Remus with what could only be described as a look of utter betrayal. "Now, once again, please vacate my office, or I will have to remove you by force." And suddenly Sirius's face went utterly stony. He looked at Remus with shiny eyes before he scowled again.

"Fine. But I hope you've realized what you've done." He whirled away towards the door. But before he left he turned back into the office for one last snide comment. "And you're wrong. I didn't kill James and Lily! It was their own damn fault!" Then he slammed the door. Remus stared at the door in horrified shock. He could not believe the depths of that man's delusions! Despite his early comments about being swamped he now felt so utterly drained. He buried his face in his hands and groaned.

"Hot cocoa please." He moaned to the room. There was a faint pop as a steaming mug of the requested beverage appeared along with a chocolate scone and a few tea biscuits. Remus sighed then snapped his fingers twice. He moaned as the pleasant aroma of spiced rum rose from the mug.

"5 o'clock somewhere," he muttered to himself, a habit he picked up from his mother forever ago and took a slow sip, then moaned again and slid into his chair further. Definitely necessary after that painful conversation. Suddenly the fire behind him roared to life. The man sighed and set down his mug.

"Yes, Albus?" Remus called as he trained around.

"Not Albus!" Emmeline responded happily. The man blinked and grinned.

"Emmeline! How can I help you on this fine day?"

"How is your marking coming along?" Emmeline asked in turn. Remus blew out a huff.

"I'm chipping away at it. I'm just glad Albus was alive to get me an extra week from the governor's. The last moon really knocked the stuffing out of me." Remus admitted tiredly.

"Do you think maybe you need a break to help rejuvenate yourself?" Emmeline asked. Remus hummed.

"Perhaps? Did you have something in mind?"

"Would you be willing to watch Harry for a few hours tomorrow night?" Emmeline questioned with a grin. Remus smiled happily.

"I would be more than happy to! But what's the special occasion?"

"Severus asked me out on a date," Emmeline replied readily. Remus chuckled.

"Took the old dog long enough!" He barked.

"Shush you!" Emmeline admonished with a playful frown. Remus chuckled.

"What time should I be there?"

"Good question!" Emmeline's head turned out of the fire slightly. "Darling! What time are we leaving for dinner tomorrow?" There was a moment before Emmeline turned back into the fire fully. "Around 6:30."

"Alright, I'll be there. St. Margaret's Bay right?"

"Yes. The cottage at the end of The Droveway." Emmeline began before she tilted her head out and then back in again. "We'll send Orville to come meet you."

"Brilliant," Remus said. "See you then."

"Thank you!" Emmeline said before the connection cut.


"Have fun you two!" Remus cried with a grin, hands tucked into his tweed cardigan with a smile. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do!"

"Oh shush you!" Emmeline said with a smile. Severus looked like he was struggling mightily to keep from sneering. Remus just closed the door behind him.

"I think your dad was having a stroke." He whispered to Harry with a smirk. Harry snickered before he lifted up a stack of board games.

"Dragon Reserve, Don't Wake The Giant, or Parcheesi?" Harry asked excitedly


Emmeline sipped her wine happily as she watched the soft folk band on the little stage behind the restaurant croon out a gentle tune. Severus was shifting in his seat and had to wipe his hand on his trousers a few times.

"Ready for dessert?" Their waitress asked with a glance in Severus' direction.

"Yes please!" He said quickly. Emmeline raised an eyebrow before she glanced at the menu again.

"Let's have the chocolate mousse cake."

"To share." Severus agreed. The waitress nodded. Emmeline saw this and frowned.

"What are you up to, Severus?"

"Hmm?" He said, with a feigned innocent expression. "Up to? Why Emmeline, I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Now that's just bad form." Emmeline scoffed. "I thought you were the head of Slytherin house? That was some of the worst lying I've ever seen."

"Apart from Harry?" Severus argued. Emmeline winced.

"Yes, apart from Harry. The boy couldn't lie to save his life. Which, as his mother, I'd say is good. But as someone who's fought in a war, that may very well be continuing soon… it's worrying." She said with a sigh. Severus nodded.

"He needs to be taught the skills necessary to survive."

"What do you have in mind?" Emmeline asked.

"I think I'm going to try and teach him Occlumency this summer," Severus muttered. "It would be a good idea."

"But I don't know if that will be a very good experience," Emmeline argued with a weary sigh. "He's very emotionally driven. He relies on those feelings heavily. I think it'll be very hard for him to shut them off."

"It's not his emotions I'm trying to suppress," Severus argued. "I'm trying to protect his mind."

"I'm not saying it's a bad idea," Emmeline argued. "I just think that maybe you should wait until he's a little more mature." She reached out and grasped his hand. "Let him have this summer to be a child. He deserves it." As she said this the waitress returned placing the tray with its cloche still on, before she carefully lifted it. Both Emmeline and Severus looked down at their cake, but Emmeline could see strange emotions creeping into Severus' eyes. He looked up at her and swallowed roughly.

"Emmeline… I've known you for 15 years. In that time I have loved you, I have cherished you…" he swallowed again. "I have betrayed you. And somehow you have forgiven me and found it in your heart to love me back. And though our dreams may not have turned out… quite as we planned them." Severus joked with a weary smile, as he held her hand a little tighter. Then he spun the plate around. Emmeline looked down and choked on her words. She looked up to see Severus on his knees in front of her, holding her hand in both of his now. "Would you … could you find it in your heart, to stand beside me? To be Harry's mother in more than just name?" Emmeline's free hand jumped to her mouth as she struggled to hold back a happy sob. Then she nodded. Severus leaned over, plucking the delicate diamond ring from the ring of chocolate syrup that circled it and slipped it onto her finger. Then she leapt forward with a tight hug around his shoulders. Suddenly the waitstaff began loudly clapping, along with several other dinners. Emmeline sobbed as she wiped her face again, as Severus placed a kiss to her temple.


Harry was standing in the doorway, backlit by the glow from inside with an anticipatory smile.

"And?" He asked as soon as his parents crossed the threshold of the stone wall. Severus chuckled.

"She said yes." He confirmed. Harry whooped and rushed to give a still-emotional Emmeline a tight hug.

"I love you, mum." He said again, less emotional than he had been the day they arrived, but with a new meaning that had Emmeline sobbing into his hair all over again.

'There'll be bluebirds over,

The white cliffs of Dover,

Tomorrow,

Just you wait and see.'


The dark.

Always, for as long as he could remember, Peter had been terrified of the dark. Its reaching claws and shining eyes and eerie noises. And there was nothing more suffocating than the grim dark of the ministry holding cell he had been thrown into. The only thing that was keeping him sane was a quiet promise whispered in his ears what seemed like an eternity ago now.

"Serve me well, my loyal Wormtail, and you will be rewarded."

And so he sat, curled up in the corner of that suffocating cell in that suffocating dark, shivering in fear and did what he had always done.

He waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Until at last his waiting paid off. The loud creaky door down the hall swung open. Followed by the tumble of a body hitting the stone.

"My lord!" Peter cried ecstatically, rushing up to the bars and attempting to squeeze his face through them so he could see his master's surely impressive approaching figure. "My lord! You've come to rescue me!"

"Come now Wormtail," came a voice. Instantly the man froze before he began to shake again, in a combination of rage and the first niggling of fear.

"What are you doing here?" he demanded with a cockiness he didn't truly possess. "Where is our lord? I thought he said he would get me out of here!"

"The dark lord said you would be rewarded, my slippery friend." the man replied, with a widening grin. "And there is no greater reward than sacrificing yourself to his will." Then the dark-robed figure drew his wand and Peter jumped back from the bars, flattening himself against the far wall, eyes blown with fear.

"No, please! Please don't kill me!" he begged pitifully. The man chuckled.

"And deprive the dementors of their meal?" The man tsked at Peter as if he was ashamed of the rat. "Really Peter. I expected better of you. Maybe chivalry really is dead." the man snickered at his own joke before levelling his wand again.

"W-what are you doing then?" Peter demanded with a quivering lip.

"Just ensuring that you can't ruin the dark lord's plan with that feeble mind of yours. Couldn't chance you turning coats again, now can we?" the man purred.

"Wai-!" Peter tried one last time.

"Obliviate!"

~*~*Donec Iterum*~*~

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
Hello!
We have reached it at last. The end of the road. For now anyway.
I want to thank all of those who posted reviews, left comments, and their kudos. Reading your messages always fills me with the inspiration to proceed.
Special thanks especially to Aslan's Princess, Fmh, cavehack, Alex_likely6, and Urgwaew for being the review/commentor MVPs.
You all get yellow feathers! XD
More is coming. That much is certain. The story is far from done and there is so much left yet to explain. Who knows what the future holds?
That's a trick question.
I know.
And I will enjoy slowly revealing the answers to you immensely;)
Thank you again to everyone who enjoyed this. I hope to see you again for the sequel
s
;)
Don't forget to keep on reading!
-The Transfigured Canary