Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Chamber
In the middle of the night, Harry awoke with a start. The alarm Severus had cast did not alert him to Harry's awakening, primarily because Harry hadn't woken up in distress. Clearly, there was a flaw in the spell. Groggily, Harry sat up in bed and, as if in a trance, swung his legs off the side. Somehow, he felt drawn to his school bag. Climbing out of bed, Harry approached the desk where he had carelessly tossed his bag, digging inside in search of the object calling to him.

Upon finding the journal, Harry returned to his bed and sat down with it in his lap. Driven by curiosity, he opened the journal only to find it was nothing more than a blank book. He flipped through the pages from the beginning to the end, finding no writing whatsoever. Shrugging his shoulders, Harry began to set the book aside, but the pull became so strong that he couldn't resist.

The book seemed to want him to write something in it. How he knew this, he had no idea, but it was as if a tiny voice in his head was insisting he write. Unable to dismiss the idea, Harry got out of bed once more and returned to his desk.

Placing the book on the desk, Harry took out a quill and ink, opening the journal to the first page. Uncertain of what to write, Harry scribbled, "Hello, my name is Harry Potter."

To his astonishment, his ink faded into the journal, replaced by a set of elegant, curly letters: "Hi Harry, I'm Tom Riddle." After reading the response, the words slowly vanished back into the page.

Shocked, Harry set his quill down on the desk. His other journal had never written back to him, so how could this one? He knew it had to be magic, but the experience still felt surreal.

For a moment, he considered waking Severus to ask about it, but then he remembered how late it was and how exhausted the man had looked. Harry didn't want to bother his new father, nor did he want Severus to think he was too much trouble and send him back to the Dursleys. Although Severus had promised never to send him back to his family, Harry knew that everyone lied about something, and he didn't want to risk it.

Before another thought crossed the young boy's mind about fetching someone, more curly script appeared before his eyes on the journal's page. "Are you a student at Hogwarts?"

Slowly, Harry nodded but then realized the journal couldn't see him nodding, so he picked up his quill and wrote as neatly as he could. "Yes, I am. Are you a student too? What house are you in? I'm in Gryffindor."

As his ink faded into the page, Harry felt an intense desire to learn more about the person he was writing to, almost like a compulsion charm. Eagerly, but not quickly enough for Harry, new writing materialized on the page. "I was a student a long time ago. The reason I ask is, I know something terrible is going to happen tonight, and I was hoping a brave young boy would find me so we could put a stop to it."

Harry's eyebrows shot up in surprise as he read the message. Someone wanted his help? The thought vanished, however, as Harry's natural bravery kicked in. Apparently, someone was in trouble and needed his assistance.

Without further hesitation, Harry jotted down, "What can I do to help?"

Twenty minutes later, Harry found himself maneuvering through the sinks in the girls' third-floor bathroom and climbing down a long tunnel with the mysterious journal in hand. Tom had informed him that Ginny Weasley had ventured down here a few hours earlier, searching for something she had lost, only to become lost herself. If she stayed down there too long, she could get even more lost in the maze of tunnels. Tom had provided precise directions, as well as a way out, so Harry knew he could help Ginny. He didn't want her to get in trouble or injured.

As he trudged through the tunnels, clutching the diary close to his chest, Harry periodically stopped to write down his location. Tom would then promptly reply, advising him on which turns to make. In the back of his mind, Harry began to question whether Tom was genuinely helping him navigate the tunnels, as it seemed the deeper they went, the more lost he became. However, he quickly dismissed the thought, focusing on Ginny being lost down there all alone. He had to help her.

Meanwhile, as Harry wandered the tunnels beneath the school, Albus Dumbledore hastily gathered all the professors to help search for the missing girl. Normally, only the Headmaster and Head of House would search for a wayward student, but with the Chamber of Secrets reopened, they were taking every precaution until they could safely send all the students home.

To avoid alarming the students or parents, particularly the Muggle-borns, Dumbledore had concocted a story about the wards needing maintenance the following week. He hated waiting that long to ensure everyone's safety, but sending everyone home earlier would undoubtedly cause panic.

Albus dispatched the other professors to search the castle for the child and left waking up Severus for last. He Flooed down to the man's room, regretting having to rouse him after such a taxing day, but he had no other choice. They needed every pair of ears and eyes; he didn't want a repeat of what happened fifty years ago. Quietly, he knocked on Severus's bedroom door and frowned when he received no answer. After trying again with the same result, Albus disregarded the fact that he was intruding into the man's bedroom in the middle of the night and entered.

Albus strode quickly across the room, his concern evident on his face. Approaching the bed, he gently shook Severus's shoulder, trying not to startle him.

"Severus, you need to wake up. It's important," he said with urgency in his voice.

Severus's eyes slowly opened, and he blinked a few times, trying to focus on Albus standing before him. Confusion clouded his expression, but then Albus saw the unmistakable look of panic in the man's eyes.

"Harry? Is there something wrong with Harry?" Severus asked, his voice laced with worry.

Albus raised a calming hand, reassuring him. "No, my dear boy, Harry is fine. However, I need your assistance. Ginny Weasley has gone missing, and we must work together to find her."

Severus's eyes widened with concern as he took in the gravity of the situation. He quickly pushed himself into a sitting position, ready to join Albus in the search for the missing student.

Despite the Headmaster's outwardly calm demeanor, the concern in his eyes was unmistakable. Observing this, Severus sat up in bed and nodded. While he wasn't fond of being roused in the middle of the night, it was far preferable to finding a petrified student or something even more dire.

"Let me put on some clothes and check on Harry. I'll meet you in the Great Hall shortly," Severus said, his voice betraying his own worry.

Albus nodded in agreement. "I'll wait for you in the living room. It's best if no one wanders the halls alone right now. I've instructed everyone else to search in pairs."

"Alright, Albus. Give me a moment, then."

Albus nodded once more before leaving the room, softly closing the door behind him. It wasn't long before Severus emerged from his own room, donning his teaching robes, and quickly made his way to Harry's room.

Upon fully opening the door and approaching the bed, Severus was alarmed to find it devoid of any occupants.

"Harry!" he exclaimed, panic rising in his chest.

Hearing Severus's outcry, Albus swiftly entered the room and sighed, his own concern deepening upon seeing the empty bed. Now they had not just one, but two missing children to search for.

"Severus, did you place an alarm on Harry last night?" Albus asked, hoping for any leads.

"Yes, I did, Albus. It was set to notify me if he woke up. However, it never went off. Do you think he left our quarters? Or could he be hiding somewhere?"

Albus shook his head, uncertainty clouding his features. "I'm not sure, Severus."

Determined to find answers, Severus drew his wand and, with resolve, shouted, "Point me, Harry!"

No response came from his wand, so Severus knew that Harry was indeed not anywhere in his quarters. If he had been, the wand would have pointed directly towards the boy.

Albus watched as Severus's composure crumbled before his eyes. His knees buckled, and soon he was on the floor. The Headmaster sighed and quickly approached the distraught man; they didn't have time for this. Two children were out wandering the halls while a dangerous creature lurked in the shadows.

As soon as Albus reached Severus, he placed a comforting hand on his shoulder and called for Don, hoping his presence would help steady the situation.

"Severus, we need to remain focused and work together to find Harry. We don't have time for despair," Albus said gently, attempting to instill a sense of urgency and reassurance.

Severus took a shaky breath, nodded, and pulled himself up off the floor, determined to find his child.

"Alright, Albus, where do you need me to look?" he asked, his voice still wavering.

"Every part of the castle is being searched except for the third floor. Don is on his way, and once he arrives, we can start searching. I promise you, Severus, we will find Harry, and he will be alright," Albus said with conviction.

Severus gave a small, shaky nod, his heart heavy with worry for his missing child, fearing the worst.

In the next moment, Don hurried into the room, concern etched across his face.

"What's happened?" he asked, his gaze darting between Albus and Severus, ready to help in any way he could.

Albus calmly explained the situation to Don, while Severus stared into the distance with slightly glassy eyes. When the Healer looked over at the man, he sighed and placed a steady hand on each of his shoulders. Slowly, he began to send calming magic into Severus to prepare him for the search. While he did so, Albus sent the man a grateful nod and dispatched a Patronus to inform the other teachers of this latest development.

A moment later, Don's calming magic had taken effect, and all three of them headed to the third floor to look for the missing children.

Meanwhile, beneath the third-floor bathroom, Harry continued to wander through passageways, guided by the mysterious diary. That is, until the last passageway led him into a large, cave-like room. There lay Ginny, sprawled out on the floor with what appeared to be blood around her head.

Harry quickly rushed through the room, tossing the book aside as he knelt down next to his best friend's little sister.

"Ginny!"

The girl made no move to indicate that she had heard him, so very gently, he shook her shoulder, but still received no response. Before he could do anything else, the book to his right opened, and pages began to flip around as if a powerful breeze had swept through the cavern.

Distracted by the book's obvious display of magic, Harry was surprised when he felt an intense pain from his scar and sensed blood soaking the bandage that still covered it. His hand shot up to rest on the now-throbbing scar on his forehead.

Through the pain and the blood dripping down his face, he saw that a figure of a boy had somehow emerged from the journal using magic.

As the boy brushed off his robes, he stood up and gave Harry a sinister smile that made him cringe. It was the kind of smile a predator would give, one that sent chills down your spine because you knew they harbored dark intentions.

"Harry Potter, what a pleasure to meet you," the boy said with a mocking tone.

Still kneeling next to Ginny, Harry shifted his hand from his scar, hovering over his wand, ready to pull it out if needed.

"W... who are you?" Harry asked warily.

That chilling smirk remained on the boy's face as he spoke. "Why, I am Tom Riddle. I am the one who lured you here, and being the Gryffindor you are, you blindly followed me."

Harry slowly rose from the ground, his wand now in hand. "What do you want with us?" he demanded, trying to sound braver than he felt.

The boy let out a malicious laugh as he appraised the small boy in front of him, amusement in his eyes.

"You really don't know who I am, do you? The puzzle pieces just don't seem to fit for you, do they?" Tom Riddle shook his head, feigning pity. "Then let me spell it out for you, Harry. I am the memory of the boy who would become Lord Voldemort. I am the one responsible for the terror that has plagued this school. And you... you are just a pawn in my game."

You see, somehow my journal ended up in this blood traitor's cauldron while they were out shopping for their books this summer. It was rather lucky for me, except that she kept droning on and on about how horrible it is being the youngest and only girl in the family. When she came here, though, it was easy to get her to do my bidding. Come down here, let out the Basilisk so it could roam the castle.

I soon grew bored, though, and knew I needed to return to my rightful body. So, without further ado, I entranced Ginny here to first drop me off into your book bag today when you came back to classes, and then come down here where she would fall under the effects of a sleeping spell. A shame, really, that she hit her head. No matter, though, her life force will soon become mine, as you see I'm becoming more human by the moment."

Harry stared at the boy, his wand now fully extended and pointing directly at Tom. "What do you mean by 'her life force'?"

"Oh, Harry, Harry, Harry," Tom said with a mocking tone, "you're quite dense, aren't you?"

Tom held out his wand, and with a flick, he wrote his name in the air: Tom Riddle.

"You see, Harry, while this may be my given name, it's not a name I chose. No, I chose a different name, one that strikes fear into the hearts of many, including you."

With a wave of his wand, he rearranged the letters, and they spelled out 'Voldemort.'

"You are quite a naive little boy, aren't you? So trusting to do whatever a mysterious book tells you to do," Tom sneered. "I suppose it's time for you to learn a harsh lesson."

As Tom spoke, Harry's heart raced, realizing the gravity of the situation. The boy before him was a fragment of the darkest wizard in history, and Harry knew he had to act quickly to save Ginny and himself from an unfathomable fate.

Just then, Harry heard something moving on the ground. It had to be something enormous, and it almost sounded as if it were slithering. As the noise subsided, Harry caught a glimpse of the large, shimmering scales of the beast as it came to rest behind Tom.

Harry might not have known much about the magical world due to his upbringing, but he had once snuck off to read a mythology book in the library while he was in primary school, trying to hide from Dudley. He recognized the creature instantly; the illustration in that book could have been an actual photograph. Cautiously, Harry looked up at Tom with the serpent looming behind him, careful not to lock eyes with the monster or risk certain death.

"Care to fight my friend here?" Tom taunted, a wicked grin on his face. "She's awfully hungry, and I bet she could use a snack."

As Tom spoke, he slowly turned around to stroke the giant snake's scales, a gesture meant to demonstrate his control over the creature. However, he seemed disappointed when his hand just passed through the snake's ethereal form. Despite this, Harry understood the gravity of the situation and knew he needed to act quickly to protect himself and Ginny from the monstrous beast and the sinister presence controlling it.

Then, in that strange language that still creeped Harry out, Tom started to talk to the snake. "Don't worry, my dear, soon I will be able to stroke your lovely scales. Why don't you have a little snack on this boy here? I'm sure he will taste wonderful. It's been a long time since you have tasted human flesh."

Even without looking at the Basilisk's face, Harry could feel it perk up at the mention of having a snack. As he heard the creature get closer, Harry started to back up a little and talk in that strange language, Parseltongue, which Severus had told him about. He tried with all his might to convince the snake that he was not good to eat, that he was not at all juicy and tender as it kept chanting.

Realizing that the snake was not going to listen to anything he tried to tell it, Harry started to shoot off any spell he could think of. Quirrell hadn't taught much last year, but he had learned a stunner. So he shot that at the Basilisk and was deeply troubled when it didn't work. He shot off a few more spells that he thought could help his situation, but they all failed. Just when he thought all hope was lost and that he and Ginny were going to die in this cave, Fawkes, Dumbledore's Phoenix, flew in with the Sorting Hat in its mouth.

As the glorious bird dropped the hat so that it would fall into Harry's hands, it flew over to the giant snake and with its talons, scratched the beast's eyes. While Fawkes was expertly blinding the creature, Harry pondered over why the bird had given him the Sorting Hat, but then he saw it. He saw the hilt of the Gryffindor sword sticking out. Quickly, Harry grabbed the hilt and drew it out of the hat. Now, what was he supposed to do?

Fawkes, apparently satisfied with her job of blinding the Basilisk, flew off to watch the rest of the event from a perch up high. Seeing the bird's departure, Harry grabbed a better hold of the sword and pointed it towards the snake. All the while, Harry could hear Tom jeering at him.

"Yes, Potter, you have a sword. Now, what are you going to do with it? Poke her?"

Harry stood still until the snake came near. As soon as she moved in to strike, Harry struck his sword into the beast's neck. Just as he did, though, one of the snake's fangs caught Harry in the arm and broke off there. As Harry stumbled back in pain, the Basilisk's head fell to the ground with a mighty crash.

All the while, Harry was only slightly aware of the figure who was cursing, ranting, and raving. He had only one thought in mind: it was the book that had caused all this trouble. The book had enchanted Ginny and had tricked him into coming down here. Everything tonight had happened because of that damned book.

So, slowly, Harry took the fang out of his arm and crawled over to where the book lay next to Ginny. Tom was still cursing Harry for defeating his beauty, so he was unaware when a blinding pain hit his heart as Harry stabbed the fang deep within the pages.

The last thing Harry heard as he passed out was, "I will get you, Harry Potter, if it's the last thing I do!"

Back in the hospital wing, Severus was sitting vigil by Harry's bed, waiting for the boy to wake. Just minutes after Harry had fallen to the ground and Fawkes had healed the cut on Harry's arm with his tears, Severus had rushed over to the prone boy. Scooping him up into his arms, he ran as fast as he could to the hospital wing, not really caring about what had happened, but rather that his boy was obviously hurt. Don had followed shortly after with Ginny in his arms, while Albus had stayed behind to at least try to figure out what had taken place in just one short hour.

When they had arrived at the hospital wing, Poppy quickly led the two over to two beds, and both Healers set to work healing the children. Fortunately, Ginny was not hurt that badly. On the scan, Madam Pomfrey found that Ginny's mind had been tampered with, and she had a concussion from hitting her head. Other than that, she just had a few scratches and bruises from where she had fallen. Harry, on the other hand, was a different story entirely.

He had scratches and bruises from where he had fallen as well, and his scar had burst open. But the most concerning injury was the cut from the fang on his arm. Fawkes had tried her best to rid the cut of the poison and heal it, but when they did further scans, it showed that the Phoenix had missed some of the deadly substance. The good news was that it was isolated in some fat tissue and had not hit the boy's veins or gotten into his bloodstream. Even so, they had to get the poison out of the boy's body entirely. If that venom came anywhere near entering Harry's veins, they were in deep trouble. Basilisk venom was one of the most poisonous in the wizarding world.

So, they came up with a plan - or rather, Poppy and Don came up with a plan while Severus just watched over his child. Don had cast a body-bind spell on just the boy's arm so no harm would come to it, and they were going to wait for Harry to wake to transfer him to the clinic. They had to get the poison out, and it seemed that surgery was the best option.

To do that, though, they had to wait until Harry was awake and be told what was going on. They were going to have to give the child some strong sedation potions for the surgery, and they were too heavy to be magicked into the system or to be swallowed unwillingly. Also, it was not a good idea to have Harry wake in an unfamiliar surrounding when his body had just gone through so much shock and was about to go through a bit more.

Gently, Don had tried his best to unstick Severus from Harry's bedside, but he had failed every attempt he made. Severus was going to sit there whether anyone liked it or not. Finally giving up, Don gave a worried look to Albus and then got up from the chair next to Severus.

Albus nodded in understanding and, with a small sigh, went and sat down in the chair Don had just vacated. Gently, Albus placed an arm around the man to try to give him all the comfort he could.

"How are you, Severus? Can you talk to me?"

Severus stared intently at the boy in front of him, seemingly oblivious to Albus's presence. With a sigh, Albus began to rub soothing circles into the man's tense back.

"Come on, Severus. Now is not the time to withdraw from the world. Harry is going to need a strong person to look up to; let us help you."

When no response came, Albus let out another sigh, nearly ready to give up. However, a quiet whisper emerged from the man beside him.

"You are right, Albus. I'm sorry for worrying you two."

A small smile graced Albus's face as he continued to try to ease the tension from Severus's shoulders. "That's my boy. Can you tell me what you're feeling?"

"Worried and scared, but at the same time, I can't wait until he is well so that I can paddle his behind for scaring me so."

Albus's smile broadened, and he chuckled as he shook his head. "Now, you know the heartache you put me through all those years ago!"

Severus glanced over at his mentor and squirmed a bit in his chair. "And I still remember all the sore behinds you gave me for doing so." The hint of a rueful smile tugged at the corners of Severus's mouth, indicating that, despite the gravity of the situation, there was still room for a bit of levity as they faced the challenges ahead.

Albus nodded, still smiling, but then he grew serious. "Remember to be gentle, Severus, and to get the whole story before you act. All we know is that somehow, Harry snuck out of your rooms and ended up with Ginny Weasley under the third-floor bathroom. When he got there, Fawkes tells me he fought quite bravely and likely saved not only his own life but Miss Weasley's as well."

The man looked back down at the prone boy on the bed. "I heard you talking with Don. I just wish he didn't rush into danger head-on like a foolhardy Gryffindor. If he would have woken me up..."

Albus patted the man on the shoulder. "I know, Severus. Much as you dislike it, you were and still are much the same. May I remind you of just last year when you jumped in front of a cauldron that was going to explode to save several students from some bad burns?"

Severus grimaced, vividly recalling that particular incident as he ran his fingers along the faded scars on his back. The burns had taken an agonizingly long time to fully heal. "I understand your point, Albus."

"Then I need not go on?"

"No, Albus, you made your point."

Albus studied Severus with concern in his eyes. "Good. Will you get some rest now? Don over there will not get a moment's peace watching you fretting over Harry."

Severus closed his eyes for a moment and then, with a heavy sigh, leaned tiredly into Albus's comforting side. "Do you promise to wake me when he does?"

"Of course, my boy. You can even sleep in the bed right next to him if you want."

Severus offered a weary nod and gently extricated himself from the older wizard's embrace.

"Come on then," Albus said, guiding Severus towards the adjacent bed with a gentle, reassuring touch on his shoulder.

With that, Albus helped the younger wizard up from his chair and over to the bed next to Harry's. As soon as Severus's head hit the pillow, he was out like a light, and all three still present in the hospital wing breathed a sigh of relief. Now, they didn't have to worry about having Severus collapse from pure exhaustion.

As soon as Severus was asleep, Don set to work getting Harry prepared to be transferred to the clinic as soon as he woke. While Don was busy talking to the clinic, Poppy had a brief conversation with Mrs. Weasley, informing her of what they knew had happened. As soon as the mother of seven heard that Ginny was in the hospital wing, she had ended the call and stepped through the Floo Network immediately, not even stopping to inform her husband of where she was headed.

When Mrs. Weasley arrived through the Floo, she immediately rushed to her daughter's side. After making sure her daughter would indeed be fine, she then looked up at the nurse and began to question her on what had happened. Before she could get out more than one question, though, Poppy raised a hand, silencing her.

"Sit down, Molly, and I'll tell you everything we know."

So Molly reluctantly sat down in the chair by her daughter and vaguely noticed the two other occupants of the hospital wing. Poppy sat next to her and reached out to grab hold of the woman's hand. As gently as she could, she told Molly what they knew had happened that night and that her daughter would need to see a Mind Healer to deal with the tampering.

"In time, she will be fine, Molly."

"What about Harry and Professor Snape? Were they injured as well?"

Poppy sighed and gave a gentle squeeze to Molly's hand. "I cannot tell you exactly what has happened to them due to my healer's oath, but I can tell you that Harry is to be transferred for surgery when he wakes up, and Severus... will be okay."

Molly nodded in understanding. "Thank you for calling me, Poppy. Can I do anything to help you? Remember, I have basic healer's training."

The Healer gave the woman a small smile. "Just watch your daughter; she will be confused when she wakes up. Don is on his way back here, so I have all the help I need. Do you want me to Floo call Arthur to bring some clothes for you?"

Poppy gestured to the pajamas Molly still wore and gave a small smile. Molly blushed and gave a small nod.

"I'm sorry. I just never imagined my little girl ending up here. The twins, sure, they experiment too much, but my sweet Ginny..."

"I understand, Molly. I'll be right back with Arthur. Okay?"

Molly nodded as Poppy gave her hand one final squeeze. The healer then got up from her chair and walked over to the Floo, calling Arthur to come and bring some clothing.

As Arthur stepped back through the Floo with the clothing Poppy had requested in his arms, he went straight over to his wife. Upon his entrance, Poppy closed the curtains around the family for some privacy.

While Poppy was attending to the youngest Weasley and Don was away arranging for Harry's transfer, Albus sat down next to Severus's bed and finally completed the necessary paperwork for the child to become Severus's legal ward. He just needed to send it off to the Ministry and wait for the final approval. As he finished, he looked over at Severus and let a smile grace his face, and the twinkle in his eyes grew. Severus truly was becoming a protective parent, and a good one at that.

In the first light of the morning, Severus awoke. Not immediately remembering what had happened to land him in the hospital wing again, he started to look around for clues. Upon seeing Albus sleeping in the chair next to him and Harry on the other side in the bed, it all came rushing back to him. His boy had snuck out of bed in the middle of the night and wandered into a dangerous situation.

Sighing, Severus sat up in bed and looked over once more at Harry. The little imp looked so innocent in his sleep, though. It was hard to stay mad at him when he appeared so peaceful. Slowly, Severus moved the covers away and got out of bed, quite grateful that the Healers had not bothered to change him into pajamas. Then, without another thought, he moved over to sit next to Harry's bed. As he sat down, he sighed slightly and brushed a stray lock of hair out of the child's face.

The man then sat back in his chair and waited for the child to awaken. Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted that the entire Weasley family had been moved into the hospital wing last night. They were currently all crowded around the youngest's bed in cots that Poppy had likely conjured for them. What was curious to Severus, though, were the two cots he spotted on the other side of Harry's bed. There slept Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, as close as they could get to Harry.

What was even more peculiar, though, was the cot near Severus's bed, the one he had not noticed until now. It held a sleeping Minerva, the fierce woman who would never let a student catch her unprepared. Had they all come down from their soft beds to be with them, of all people? He could understand the Weasleys coming down to see their sister and even Hermione and Ron coming to see Harry, but Minerva coming to see him? Why had she left her bed for him?

As the Potions Master was deep in thought, observing all the new faces in the room, he was unaware of the two soft green eyes intently watching him. Gradually, though, Severus felt the gaze of someone observing him and turned to look at the bed. Almost immediately, he was at the side of the bed, carefully placing Harry's glasses on his face.

"Good morning, Harry," he said softly, his voice filled with relief. "You gave us all quite a scare last night."

Harry blushed and tried to roll over onto his side, but the stiffness in his arm prevented him from moving too much. Slightly alarmed, Harry looked up at Severus with wide, questioning eyes.

"What happened? Why can't I feel my arm?"

Severus reached forward and started to softly card his fingers through Harry's messy hair, attempting to soothe and calm him down.

"Shhh, you're going to be okay, Harry," he reassured the boy. Severus then gave him a slightly stern look, his eyes full of concern. "We will have a long discussion about what happened last night, but for right now, let's just focus on getting you well again. Alright?"

Harry nodded hesitantly, understanding that there would be a time for explanations and consequences later. For now, all that mattered was that he was safe and surrounded by people who cared for him.

Harry gave a hesitant nod. What did his new dad mean by 'long discussion'? Aunt Petunia had only said that to Dudley when he was going to get a spanking. Did that mean... He really hoped not.

"The Basilisk you fought last night bit you with its venomous fang. Fawkes did his best to heal the wound, but some of the poison remained in your fat cells. In a few minutes, I'm going to wake Don up so that we can have you transferred back to the clinic. You're going to need surgery to remove the remaining poison. It won't take too long, and you'll be able to come home afterward, but it's crucial that it happens right away."

"Th... they're going to cut my arm open?" Harry asked, his voice trembling with fear.

"I won't lie to you, Harry. They are, but you'll be put in a magically induced sleep, so you won't feel a thing," Severus reassured him gently.

Feeling a bit more confident, Harry nodded again. "Will you be there?"

Severus gave a small, comforting nod. "I would never leave you, Harry."

Tears started to prick at the back of Harry's eyes. "Ginny?"

"Ginny is fine, Harry," Severus assured him, his voice steady and soothing.

"I thought... I thought she..." Harry's voice wavered.

"Shhh, none of that, Harry. We can talk about that later. Right now, let me go fetch Don so we can get you to the clinic."

Harry gave a small nod and tried to suppress the tears he could feel coming, but couldn't help the small, traitorous one that escaped his eyes. Gently, Severus reached down and wiped it away with his finger, his touch tender and caring.

"Everything will be just fine, Harry," Severus whispered, offering a reassuring smile to the brave young wizard.

With that, Severus got up from the bed and went to search for Don. He didn't have to look far, though, for right between Albus in his chair and Minerva in her cot lay Don. Carefully, he stepped over the sleeping woman and knelt down next to the Healer. Resting a gentle hand on Don's shoulder, Severus whispered quietly to the man to wake him up. "Wake up, Don. Harry is awake."

Hearing that, Don was awake in a moment. Giving Severus a nod, Don sat up on his makeshift bed and quietly straightened out his clothes. Seeing that the Healer was awake and alert, Severus went back over to Harry so that he could continue to calm him.

Gracefully, Severus sat back down on the side of Harry's bed and gently pulled back the covers. Then, with a few more reassuring words, he picked the boy up so that he could carry him to the clinic. Yes, they could have him walk, but it was best not to take a chance jostling that arm. One wrong move could make the poison move, and that would not be good.

The next moment, Don came over and gave Severus a small nod as he saw that his arms were filled with the small boy. Quietly, the three made their way to the Floo, not wanting to wake anyone this early in the morning. Before they Flooed, Severus fed a mild stomach soother to Harry in an effort to make the trip as pleasant as possible, and Don left a small note telling them where they were so they wouldn't worry.

When they reached the clinic, Severus, Don, and Harry were met with two Healers coming to collect their patient. As soon as Harry saw the new faces, though, he struggled a bit in Severus's grip and turned his head into Severus's neck. Despite everything that had happened, he still did not particularly like strange Healers. Gently, with great care not to move Harry's arm at all, Severus reached around and began to rub gentle circles into Harry's back.

As Severus continued to calm the child, one of the Healers held out his arms as if he wanted to take Harry from Severus. The man quickly shook his head, so the Healer turned to Don for some help, but it was useless for the Healer. There was no way Harry was going to be pried from Severus's grip to go into another's arms.

Sighing, the new Healer nodded. "We have a bed ready for him, and we can begin immediately."

Both Don and Severus nodded and then followed the two Healers down the hall and into a small room. It was obviously designed to house a child, for there were pictures of smiling animals on the walls, and the bed was closer to the ground than a normal one would be.

Gently, Severus sat down on the bed and pulled Harry away from his chest a bit so that he could look the child in the eyes.

"I'm going to set you down on the bed now, Harry. The Healer will then give you a potion that will make you very sleepy. I will be here the entire time, Harry, and I promise you nothing bad will happen to you."

Harry gave a small nod, and Severus sighed in relief. He hated telling that small white lie, as the Healers would surely boot him out as they operated, but if it made Harry relax a little, then it was worth it.

Severus then very slowly and gently transferred Harry to the bed and tucked him in, leaving his arms out so the Healers would not have to maneuver him anymore. The next moment, the Healer who had tried to take Harry from his arms came over and gave a kind smile to the boy.

"Hi there, Harry. I'm Healer McMan, and that's Healer Clark. We're going to get that icky stuff out of your arm, okay?"

Harry gave a small nod, so the Healer continued. "Can you take this potion for me? I promise it doesn't taste too bad, and you'll be all better when you wake up."

Again, Harry nodded, and Severus took the potion from the Healer so he could feed it to the boy. Very gently, Severus tipped it up to the boy's mouth, and he drank the thick liquid down quickly. In just a few moments, Harry was fast asleep, and Severus let out a small sigh.

Quietly, Don came over and rested a hand on Severus's shoulder. "Come on, Severus. We'll go wait in the waiting room. Harry will be fine here."

Severus gave a nod and got off the bed. Before leaving the room, though, he looked at the Healer who had spoken with Harry.

"I don't want Harry waking up alone. Can you make sure to get us before he wakes?"

The Healer smiled and nodded. "Of course, I can."

Reassured, Severus no longer protested as Don led him from the room and into the waiting room.

The next hour passed with Severus tensely sitting in his chair and Don sitting next to him, giving him as much calming magic as he thought was safe. Waiting was not Severus's best skill; he had a tendency to think of every possible outcome while he sat there, and most of them were not positive.

Just as the man thought he could take no more of this, one of the Healers who were seeing to Harry stepped out of the double doors and started to walk over to the two. Great relief rushed over Severus as he saw the Healer smiling, and he let his shoulders slump forward.

"You can go see him now. He's resting comfortably, and you can take him home in a couple of hours. We want to monitor him for a little while after he wakes."

Severus nodded and all but rushed to see his child. Don smiled as the man left him still standing in the waiting room with the Healer. After watching him leave, the Healer turned and smiled at Don.

"He's quite protective, isn't he?"

Don let out a small laugh. "You don't know the half of it!" But then he grew serious. "Is there anything else I should know? Did everything go as planned, or was there a hitch?"

"Everything went fine. I want him to wear a sling to keep the wound on his arm elevated for about a week, but he should feel no pain. If he does, a mild pain reliever should be fine."

Don sighed and nodded. "Thank you so much for all your help."

The Healer placed a sympathetic arm around Don's shoulder. "It's not a problem, Don. By the way, Pam mentioned that you missed your dinner plans last night with her. You might want to go apologize. Some flowers, I think, would work wonders."

Don blushed and slapped his forehead with the palm of his hand, realizing his mistake. "I completely forgot! Thank you for reminding me. I think I'll go rectify that right away."

"Good luck!" the Healer chuckled. "You're going to need it; she was ranting all over the staff room this morning. She looked as if she was going to rip someone's head off."

"It probably doesn't help that this is the third time I've done that to her, does it?" Don said sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I would say not!" the Healer exclaimed, shaking his head. "Now, go and quit dawdling. Pam is terrifying when she's mad, and I have to send my kid to her class this afternoon. I'd rather not face the wrath of an angry Pam!"

Don raised an eyebrow but made no comment as he left, conjuring an orchid plant and a stuffed bear with a heart on its chest. He knew Severus would be fine now that Harry was going to be okay and would actually prefer to be alone with his child. Harry had given Severus quite a scare, and he didn't doubt that as soon as they got home, Harry would not be sitting comfortably.

Back in Harry's room, Don's prediction seemed to be correct. Severus was sitting in the chair next to Harry's bed, and the edge was so close it was touching the side. Gently, he was running his fingers through Harry's hair and quietly scolding him for scaring him so. The whispers Severus knew could not be heard by the sleeping boy, but somehow it made him feel better.

"You were so reckless, child. Don't make me lose you when I just got you. You almost died there... if Fawkes hadn't healed you as quickly as she did, you wouldn't be lying in this bed right now. Do you know how much I would miss you? You opened up my heart for the first time since... your mother, and you almost broke it as she did. Please don't ever do that to me again, Harry. I don't want to lose you too."

Halfway through his scolding and heartfelt speech, Severus lowered his head to look into his lap. He thought he was talking so softly that no one would hear him, least of all Harry, but when he felt a small hand gently rest on his, he knew Harry had heard him. Silently, he looked up at Harry, who he noticed had tears brimming in his eyes as well.

"I'm... I'm so sorry!" Harry choked out.

"I hope you are, Harry. You scared me half to death," Severus replied softly, his voice quivering with emotion.

Harry looked down at his arm in the sling. "Am I going to be okay?"

Severus gave a small nod, trying to reassure the boy. "Yes, Harry, you're going to be fine. Now, can you tell me exactly what happened?"

Harry hesitated, then looked down the bed as Severus gently put a pillow behind his back so that he could sit up more comfortably. Severus then sat on the edge of his bed, his concern evident in his eyes.

"Come on, Harry," he urged gently. "Please tell me your side of the story. It's important for us to understand what happened so we can help you."

The boy looked up and nodded. He then proceeded to tell Severus everything that had happened that night. After Harry finished speaking, there was a long silence while Severus made sure to keep his emotions in check.

"Harry, let me ask you this. Why did you think that you had to be the one to follow the book's instructions? Why did you not seek anyone out for help?"

Harry blushed and looked down. "You were so tired... I know I have been keeping you up with my nightmares. I didn't want to bother you."

Severus heaved a small sigh. "Harry, even if you didn't want to bother me, there were other people you could have asked for help. I want you to think for a few minutes, Harry, and come up with at least one way you could have handled this differently. Can you do that for me?"

The child gave a small nod, and Severus tenderly grasped the boy's hands in his. Gently, he stroked the backs of those hands in a calming manner, trying to relieve some of the tension and anxiety he knew the boy was feeling.

After a few minutes, Harry looked up, his eyes glistening with unshed tears, and shook his head. "I... I don't know, sir..."

Severus gave a small, understanding sigh and released Harry's hands. He then got up and pulled down the covers a little, shaking off his shoes as he did. Very carefully, the man slipped into bed beside Harry, putting a protective arm around the boy's shoulders and pulling him close to his side.

"Harry... Child, do you not see yourself as worthy of our protection?" Severus asked softly, concern etched on his face.

Very gently, Severus pulled the chain out from underneath the boy's shirt.

"You have this, Harry. You could have called Don to come and help you. I hope you know that he will be there for you whenever you need him, day or night. The same goes for me, Harry. I don't care if I'm exhausted or sick; I will be there to help you no matter what. I need you to understand that, Harry."

Severus then reached down and gently took hold of the boy's chin, making it so that Harry had no choice but to meet his eyes.

"Do you understand that, Harry?" Severus asked, his voice full of determination and unwavering support.

Harry nodded, tears welling up in his eyes. For the first time in a long time, he was starting to believe that what Severus was saying was true. He had people he could go to if he needed them, for the first time in his short life.

Seeing the tears, Severus released the boy's chin and let him rest his head on his shoulder. Gently, he wrapped both arms around Harry, providing a warm and comforting embrace.

"Can you tell me why you thought you had to do everything by yourself? I mean the real reason, Harry," he asked tenderly.

"I... I... I didn't think you would care... and you would be mad at me for waking you up," Harry admitted, his voice barely a whisper.

Severus sighed. "I would never be mad at you for waking me up, Harry. In fact, if you needed me, I would prefer it if you did wake me up. That way, I could help you."

Against his shoulder, Severus felt a small, hesitant nod.

"We still need to talk about the consequences of your actions, young man. While I am sure you believed that I would be mad if you woke me, you still snuck out after curfew and put yourself in danger. Remember the rules I told you a few days ago?"

Harry nodded again against Severus's shoulder, so Severus continued even more gently than before.

"You broke my major rule, Harry, and I told you what would happen if you did that, did I not?"

"R... Ron said that it wouldn't feel good sitting down for a little while," Harry murmured, apprehension evident in his voice.

With his arms still around Harry, Severus gave the boy a small squeeze in comfort. "He's right, Harry. You will not want to sit down for a little while. That's all, though. It will sting a bit, but I will not hurt you."

"Wh... when?"

"Do you mean when will I spank you?"

Again, Harry nodded.

"When we get back to our rooms. We also have to talk about you sneaking out when you were supposed to be in bed. I think a full ten minutes in the corner will do. What do you think?"

Harry was not inclined to argue, so he nodded once more, but then opened his mouth to ask something else.

"C..can we get it over with?"

Severus sighed. "I would normally say that would be fine, Harry, but you are going to be in this bed for a few more hours. I don't want to be cruel and make you sit on a sore bottom."

"I...I wouldn't mind...I just don't want it hanging over my head."

Severus studied the boy's earnest expression before responding, "If you're absolutely certain, Harry, then we can proceed, but only if you're sure."

"Please," Harry said, his eyes pleading, as Severus looked at him with concern, torn between helping him overcome his anxiety and ensuring his comfort during his recovery.

"Alright, Harry, let me go close the door, and I will cast a silencing spell so no one can hear."

Harry nodded and allowed the man to get out of his bed. Unconsciously, he had been clinging to his daddy as they hugged, and deep down, he didn't really want to let go.

He also didn't want the spanking to happen at all, but the conversation he had with Ron during lunch the day before had made him feel somewhat better about the whole ordeal. He had confided in Ron about the punishments that awaited him if he broke the rules, and with a blush, Ron had admitted that his mother still spanked him as well. He said that while it did hurt for a little while, the sting quickly faded, and he much preferred it to being grounded. There was nothing hanging over his head, and he knew that as soon as the spanking was over, he was forgiven.

Hermione had overheard the conversation and thoughtfully nodded her head at what Ron was saying. She even told Harry that now and again, her parents spanked her as well and agreed with everything his best friend was saying. She even added that it was much better than not being able to see your friends.

While Harry was lost in his musings, Severus had gotten off the bed and moved to shut the door. He cast a spell that would allow him to hear someone knocking, but it would not open until he gave permission. Along with that spell, he also cast a silencing spell to ensure that no one would be able to hear anything that went on in the room for a little while. He didn't want anyone to overhear and embarrass Harry later on.

When he was finished, he came and sat on the edge of the bed, somewhat in the middle. Harry, having some idea of the process from watching Dudley once, got out of bed and stood before Severus. Gently, the man reached forward and placed a hand on Harry's shoulder, his eyes filled with a mixture of determination and compassion.

"I want you to tell me why you are getting this spanking, Harry."

Harry blushed and looked down. "I...I put myself in danger."

"That's right, Harry. You put yourself in danger when you could have sought help from an adult."

Severus reached forward and placed a hand under Harry's chin, forcing him to meet his eyes.

"I don't enjoy doing this, Harry, but I think I need to impress upon you just how serious your actions were. I don't want to lose you, son; I don't think I could ever bear losing you."

Tears were already welling up in Harry's eyes as he looked at Severus, so it was no surprise that the man pulled the boy in for a hug, warmly wrapping his arms around him, trying to provide reassurance and comfort.

"It's going to be okay, Harry."

Suddenly, Harry pulled back from the embrace and wiped a tear off his face. He felt that he had to get this over with, or he would lose his nerve.

"Can...can we get this over with, please?"

Severus nodded, understanding Harry's need to move forward. He led Harry over to his right side. He gently tipped the boy over his knee and made sure that Harry's upper body and arm were resting comfortably on the bed. There was no need for Harry to be uncomfortable.

"Are you comfortable, Harry? How is your arm?"

Harry nodded from where his head was resting on the bed. "I'm okay..."

Gently, Severus placed his left hand on the small of Harry's back and rested his other hand on Harry's bottom.

"Are you ready, Harry?" Severus asked, his voice gentle and filled with concern, knowing that this was a difficult moment for them both.

Upon noticing the small nod from Harry, Severus released a heavy sigh, understanding the necessity of the punishment. He raised his hand, and with a firm yet controlled force, he brought it down on the waiting bottom. Harry flinched, a little startled, and let out a soft gasp. The second and third smacks landed in a similar fashion, each eliciting a small reaction from the boy. However, as the fourth strike connected, Severus noticed Harry's shoulders shuddering as he began to silently sob.

Summoning his courage and determination, Severus steeled himself to complete the remainder of the punishment. With meticulous precision, he delivered ten well-measured swats to Harry's bottom, all the while keeping a watchful eye on the boy's reactions to ensure he wasn't inflicting unwarranted distress. Each swat was carefully placed, avoiding any bruising or lasting harm. As soon as the task was finished, Severus allowed Harry to remain draped over his lap for several minutes, gently rubbing soothing circles on the boy's back to help him regain his composure.

Sensing that Harry had sufficiently calmed down, Severus tenderly cradled the boy in his arms, enfolding him in a warm and comforting embrace, providing solace and reassurance. He held Harry close to his chest, allowing the boy's rapid heartbeat to gradually slow as he offered a safe haven from the recent ordeal.

"There, there, Harry. It's all over. It's all forgiven and forgotten."

Harry rested his head on Severus's shoulder and nodded slightly, feeling a sense of relief. Quietly, Severus conjured a warm, wet washcloth and began to gently wipe away all the tears that had fallen, taking care to be tender with the boy.

"All better now?"

Harry nodded once more, feeling increasingly at ease.

"Why don't you take a little nap now, and when you wake, we'll return to Hogwarts, alright?"

In response, Harry simply closed his eyes, causing Severus to release a soft, affectionate chuckle. "Not on me, you little imp! I meant the bed!"

With his eyes still closed, a small smile danced upon Harry's lips, clearly amused by the playful banter. "But you're so comfy."

"I'm sure. The fearsome dungeon bat has now transformed into a giant teddy bear for the Boy Who Lived."

At this, Harry's eyes snapped open, his expression abruptly solemn. "Please don't call me that."

Severus gazed down inquisitively, his brow furrowing. "Why not, Harry?"

"It... it reminds me of when you hated me."

Letting out a subdued sigh, Severus replied, "As I said before, Harry, I never hated you. I was just... misguided."

Harry nodded, his eyes glistening with sincerity. "Thank you, Daddy, for not yelling at me."

Severus looked down at the young boy snuggled safely in his arms, a mixture of surprise and tenderness in his eyes. "Why are you thanking me, Harry?"

Severus looked down at the young boy nestled in his arms, a little confused. "Why are you thanking me, Harry?"

"I...I don't like it when people yell. It reminds me of Uncle Vernon," Harry admitted, his voice quiet and vulnerable, revealing a glimpse of the painful memories he carried from his life before Hogwarts.

Severus nodded his head and made a mental note never to yell at Harry. Unfortunately, that explained a lot. Last year, when he had become angry, he would yell at the boy. He had thought it was blatant defiance, but now he saw it for what it was: Harry had been breaking down before his eyes. Suppressing a sigh, Severus stroked back the hair from Harry's face.

"In that case, Harry, I will try to never yell at you. Now come on, you need a bit of rest."

Harry nodded and let Severus maneuver him so that he was now beneath the covers again and tucked in. Although Harry was now lying on his stomach instead of his back. Gently, the man sat back down on the bed and rubbed the boy's back until he fell asleep.