Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Just Some Questions
As the sun rose on the next day, Harry felt it slip past him like a dream, a hazy mist of activity. Everything passed by in a swirl of colors and sounds, except for one poignant moment, a conversation with the Weasley twins. He etched it into his memory, a beacon of the love and care he was receiving. Though he knew people cared for him, this particular instance had struck a chord deep within him. It underscored the depth of their concern for him.

For most of the day, Harry had been uncharacteristically quiet. His silence, a deviation from his usual self, was noticeable enough to pique the twins' concern. They decided to intervene during lunch, quietly extracting him from the bustling cafeteria and escorting him down to the cool solitude of the dungeons to rest. The conversation that unfolded there both unsettled him and comforted him simultaneously.

Fred, always casual, inquired about Harry's well-being. When Harry offered a noncommittal 'fine', they pressed on, intuiting that something was amiss. The dam of emotions broke, his worries and fears spilling out uncontrollably. The looming adoption, having to stay with his cousins, his aching scar, his impending meeting with father's friends, and the nagging uncertainty about his relationship with Severus – everything seemed too much to bear.

The mention of Severus rejecting him brought tears to his eyes, not just from sadness, but a crippling fear of having nowhere to turn. However, before the tears could take full control, he found himself wrapped in a comforting embrace from the twins. They spoke soothing words of reassurance, like elder brothers pacifying a distraught younger sibling. This sense of safety rivaled only what he felt with his father or with Don, causing his tears to flow more freely.

Once Harry's emotions subsided, the twins withdrew, and George thoughtfully assured him of the love surrounding him, and that Severus would never abandon him. In fact, they would hex the Potions Master before he would dare hurt Harry, and it was likely Severus would hex himself first. Furthermore, they stressed Harry would always find a welcoming home at the Burrow, regardless of circumstances.

Upon reaching Severus's and Harry's quarters, Harry felt a noticeable lightness in his chest. The twins, protective as ever, remained until Severus could personally take care of Harry. They recognized the magnitude of his emotional episode and wanted to inform their Professor.

Inside the living room, where Severus sat reading, Fred ushered Harry to his new room while George stayed behind to inform their teacher. Seeing Severus's raised eyebrows, George took it as a sign of curiosity rather than derision. He painstakingly recounted the day's events and was relieved to see Severus nod in understanding.

Severus thanked George for his thoughtful actions and for ensuring Harry's safety. Then he gestured for George to join his brother in Harry's room. As George made his way in, Severus leaned against the doorway, watching Harry's glowing face, slightly amused by the scene. It was obvious that Harry was having a good time.

Harry remembered what happened next. After the twins had departed, Severus, who had remained leaning in the doorway, came forward to embrace him in a reassuring hug. Words were not necessary, save for the few calming murmurs Severus whispered into his hair. The feeling of being held securely was comforting beyond words.

Minutes into their warm embrace, Harry's exhaustion was betrayed by a yawn. Severus gently pulled back and directed him to get some rest, which was, after all, the original intent of coming down here.

The rest of the afternoon and evening proceeded without much ado, except for the distinctly audible dispute between Pam and Severus, ironically centered around handwriting.

Harry had innocently asked Severus for some assistance with his handwriting after Pam had left, not wanting to burden the healer with such a trivial matter. Her departure had prompted Pam to request Harry to step into his room for a bit. Despite knowing better, Harry couldn't resist eavesdropping from behind his door. The opportunity was too tempting to resist, and their forgetfulness in not casting a silencing spell made it almost irresistible.

The first comment that reached Harry's ears was Pam scolding Severus that he needed to improve his own penmanship before assisting Harry with his. Her offer to aid Severus was met with a predictable outburst from the man, who vehemently insisted that his writing was perfectly fine and that Pam should mind her own business.

The heated exchange continued for some time until Harry, feeling sympathy for his beleaguered healer, decided to intervene. From past experiences, he knew that once Severus started arguing, he would hardly back down. It was generally best to simply capitulate.

To intercept their spat, he walked into the room and approached Severus, speaking up. "Daddy, it's really okay. Pam gave me some worksheets to practice; I can manage on my own."

Severus seemed to shrink a little as Harry approached. Recalling Harry's admission at the clinic about his aversion to shouting, Severus let the words he was about to launch at Pam dissolve. "Alright then, Harry," he conceded, although he did shoot a sharp glare at the healer, who merely responded with a triumphant grin.

It was clear to Severus that Pam had won this round. He dreaded the inevitable ribbing from Don, who would certainly hear about her victory over the "most stubborn man in the world."

After Pam's departure, they enjoyed a peaceful dinner. Later, Severus read a story from the book to Harry as he gradually fell asleep.

Now, onto the events of the next morning. Harry woke up prematurely, anxiety prickling at his nerves, preventing him from returning to sleep. Despite the comforting assurances of the previous day, he couldn't help the gnawing fear that the social worker would take him away. After all, his past experiences had left a deep-seated dread.

Checking the time with a quick 'tempus' spell, Harry sighed in resignation when he saw that it was barely past four-thirty. Realizing sleep was beyond his reach, he climbed out of bed and tiptoed to the living room. Over the last few days, he had been meaning to explore the books on the shelf. Now seemed like a fitting time.

Stepping softly through his door, he quietly selected a book that had caught his eye earlier, titled "A Beginners Guide to Protecting Your Mind." Figuring he could benefit from such knowledge, he decided to delve into it. He recalled overhearing a conversation between his father and the Headmaster about the necessity of learning this skill. A head start seemed wise.

Retreating to the couch, Harry snuggled under a blanket, cocooning himself against the increasing chill of the night. Once comfortably ensconced, he opened his chosen book and began to read.

Approximately thirty minutes later, the book in Harry's lap sagged as his eyelids grew heavy and he succumbed to sleep. The book finally slipped from his lax grip, landing with a soft thud on the floor. Though it failed to rouse Harry, the noise jolted Severus awake.

Upon hearing the crash, Severus quickly left his bed to investigate. His concern was for Harry, as he feared the boy might have fallen out of bed or something similar. Entering the living room, he was both relieved and surprised by the sight that met his eyes.

Carefully not to disturb Harry, Severus moved around the couch to get a better view of the small cocoon. A rare smile tugged at his lips. He had to admit, Harry looked rather endearing while asleep. Noticing the fallen book, Severus bent to retrieve it. The title intrigued him, raising a questioning brow at Harry's choice of reading material. Apparently, Harry had taken an interest in protecting his mind.

His smile reappeared as he placed the book back onto the coffee table. He had not expected that Lily Potter's son would be this scholarly. Yet, considering that he was also Lily's child, he acknowledged that everyone knew how studious she had been.

Placing the book aside with a sigh, Severus turned his gaze towards Harry, who was dozing off in an uncomfortable position with his head resting on his arm. He foresaw Harry waking with a crick in his neck and decided to intervene. With great caution, he repositioned the boy, lifting him with a gentleness that belied his usually stern demeanor. Cradling Harry in his arms, he murmured a silent incantation that eased the burden of the boy's weight. Though Harry was still underweight, he had gained significantly under Severus' care, making him no featherweight.

Treading softly, Severus made his way to Harry's room, intending to settle the sleeping boy comfortably in his bed. Once there, he carefully laid Harry down on the plush pillows and cast a warming charm on the blankets. This enabled him to unwrap Harry from his cocoon without making him chilly. With the task completed, he pulled up the covers, watching as Harry instinctively curled onto his side, nestling into the cozy warmth of the sheets.

A smile tugged at the corners of Severus' usually stern countenance as he brushed stray hairs from Harry's face. He bent down to place a gentle kiss on the boy's forehead, rewarded by a soft sigh of contentment from the slumbering Harry. He deftly removed Harry's glasses, placing them on the bedside table. As he exited the room, he closed the door quietly behind him, mindful that he too would need some additional rest to face the day ahead.

The next time Harry stirred, it was due to a soft nudge on his shoulder. Bleary-eyed, he looked up and managed to discern the silhouette of his father figure and gave a sleepy smile.

As the morning light gently streamed through the bedroom window, Harry's sleepy eyes fluttered open. His voice, soft and raspy from slumber, filled the room, "Good morning, daddy."

Severus was already up, sitting on the edge of Harry's bed. He reciprocated the greeting by picking up the glasses from the side table, cleaning them with a quick spell, and offering them to Harry.

"Good morning, Harry," he said, his voice smooth as he held out the glasses. He eyed Harry carefully, a tinge of concern lacing his words as he asked, "Did you sleep well?"

Harry, now donning his glasses, blinked up at Severus. A bashful expression crossed his face, and he cast his gaze downward, fingers playing nervously with the bedcovers. "How did I get back to bed, sir?"

Severus's lips quirked up into an affectionate grin, his eyes warming as he took in Harry's confusion. "You fell asleep on the couch while reading. When I heard your book fall, I figured you'd be more comfortable in your bed."

Harry's eyes lit up, the previous confusion replaced by a tender appreciation. "Thank you, daddy."

Severus brushed a stray lock of hair from Harry's forehead, his tone fond as he replied, "It's no trouble at all, Harry." His gaze remained on the boy, comforted by the relaxed expression now gracing his features.

Severus watched as Harry sat up, his face adorned with a small, grateful smile. Sensing that the boy had ceased moving, he perched on the edge of the bed.

"As you're aware, a social worker is expected today," he began, waiting for Harry's nod before continuing, "The Headmaster was generous enough to grant us both a three-day weekend. He's also excused us from the morning's duties. There's no need to fret over your schoolwork; Pam will assist you with catching up."

Harry nodded again, a small flicker of relief in his eyes. Severus patted his knee, signaling a change in the topic of their conversation.

"Why don't you get dressed?" Severus suggested gently, shifting his gaze to the pile of clothes neatly folded at the foot of the bed. "We can have breakfast afterwards."

"Okay, daddy," Harry agreed, though his brow furrowed slightly in thought. "But do you know when they'll arrive?"

Rising from the edge of the bed, Severus shook his head. His demeanor was calm as he sought to reassure the boy, "No, Harry, I don't. But it's not something you should worry about. Let the adults handle that, alright?"

With a slight nod, Harry slowly slid out from beneath the covers, his small feet touching the cool wooden floor. His eyes trailed Severus as he moved towards the door, the questions left unsaid hanging in the air. Just as Severus's hand clasped the doorknob, Harry's voice piped up, "Daddy?"

Severus swiveled around, curiosity glinting in his dark eyes. "Yes, Harry?" he prompted, his hand lingering on the doorknob.

Harry hesitated, a blush creeping into his cheeks. With his gaze firmly fixated on the floor, he admitted, "My arm hurts a little, and it's very itchy."

An immediate wave of concern washed over Severus, softening his features. He quickly crossed back to Harry, lowering himself onto the bed next to the boy. Gently, he pulled Harry into a side hug, his touch providing a comforting warmth.

"Thank you for telling me, Harry," he acknowledged with genuine appreciation. His fingers gently probed Harry's arm, mindful of causing any discomfort. "Let's have a look, and if needed, we can call Don," he proposed, his tone soothing as he began to examine the boy's arm.

Once Harry acquiesced with a small nod, Severus carefully rolled up the boy's pajama sleeve to reveal a bandaged area. Probing it gently, he noted some residual swelling, but nothing alarming. Fortunately, Don had thoughtfully left some anti-swelling and numbing creams by Harry's bedside.

Removing the lids from both jars, Severus meticulously applied each cream to Harry's arm, then rewrapped the bandage to prevent further irritation. "There we go. Does it feel any better now?"

"Better, thank you," Harry murmured, his tone conveying his relief.

Satisfied with the improvement, Severus offered a warm, encouraging smile. "Good. Now, off you go to the shower!" he urged, a spark of amusement flickering in his eyes.

A giggle bubbled out of Harry as Severus, with a gentle but firm grip, hoisted him up, setting his feet on the cool wooden floor. With a mischievous grin, he nudged Harry towards the bathroom with a light tap on his bottom.

"Hey!" Harry exclaimed, spinning around to level a mock pout at Severus.

"Yes?" Severus responded, playfully arching one dark eyebrow in a silent challenge.

Harry had heard Severus' comforting words before, but the butterflies in his stomach continued to flutter. Upon noticing Severus' probing gaze, Harry mustered his courage, nodded assertively, and reassured him, "I'll be okay."

Severus exhaled a weary sigh, patting Harry's arm lightly. He watched as the house elves cleared the remnants of their meal with a mere snap of their fingers.

"Do you promise to call me if you feel uncomfortable?" Severus asked again, an undercurrent of concern coloring his voice.

"Yes, daddy. I'll be okay." Harry reiterated, striving to be brave.

Severus gave Harry's shoulder a reassuring squeeze, his gaze lingering on the boy a moment longer. He then rose and returned to Albus, who acknowledged him with a nod. Together, they vacated the room, leaving Harry alone with Madam Lark.

As the social worker approached, she rewarded Harry's nervous anticipation with a gentle smile. Sitting in the chair adjacent to Harry, she positioned herself to face him.

"Hi there, Harry. My name is Madam Lark. How are you doing this morning?" she asked.

"I'm fine," Harry responded, his gaze dropping to his lap as he began to fiddle nervously with the napkin on the table.

Noting Harry's discomfort, Madam Lark decided to proceed directly to the point. "Do you mind if I ask you a few questions, Harry?"

At Harry's hesitant nod, she continued, "How do you like staying with Professor Snape?"

Fear flashed across Harry's face as he pleaded, "Please don't make me leave here. I love my daddy. He saved me, he gave me my own room and he's strict, but...but I love him."

Madam Lark offered a sympathetic smile, placing a comforting hand on Harry's knee. "I don't want to take you from here, Harry. But I have to ensure that you are safe and happy here. Can you tell me how many times you eat a day?"

"Breakfast, lunch, dinner, tea time, and sometimes he gives me snacks."

"Good, and what's your favorite snack?"

Harry's fear seemed to recede somewhat, replaced by a flicker of excitement as he replied, "I love fruit! Especially oranges and melon."

"I'm glad to hear that you like healthy snacks. You mentioned that Professor Snape gave you your own room? Would you like to show me?" she asked.

With an enthusiastic nod, Harry sprung up from his chair and led Madam Lark to his room, her own face donning a warm smile.

Upon reaching his room, Harry sat on the edge of his bed, watching Madam Lark take in the surroundings. A sense of self-consciousness gripped him, causing him to fidget with the hem of his shirt.

"I know it's small and I don't have much, but I've never really had anywhere of my own before," he confessed.

Madam Lark turned her attention back to Harry. Seeing his nervousness return, she moved a chair to face him, seating herself. "It's lovely, Harry. I'm curious, did you get to pick out these colors?"

Harry shrugged. "I don't really know who decorated. I was kind of out of it when daddy put me in here the first time. I think either he did or a house elf. I really like it, though, and I wouldn't want to change a thing."

Her smile returning, Madam Lark gave Harry's knee a gentle pat. "Do you spend a lot of time in here?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders again, the loose material of his oversized shirt slipping off his thin frame slightly. He broke eye contact with the social worker, his gaze flicking to the worn rug on the floor. "Kinda, I mean, this is where I study and it's also where I've been sleeping."

Pausing for a moment, the social worker, Madam Lark, let her dark eyes soften as she took in the sight of the boy before her. Choosing her next words carefully to avoid bombarding him with questions, she asked, "Does Professor Snape ever send you in here when he's busy? Or does he ever seem too preoccupied to spend time with you?"

Eyebrows raising in surprise, Harry's green eyes snapped back to hers, his head shaking in denial, the motion causing his dark hair to fall into his eyes. "No? I don't understand what you mean."

A faint frown tugged at the corners of Madam Lark's mouth as she realized her question might have been misinterpreted. Determined to clarify, she tried once more. "Well, has Professor Snape ever mentioned that he doesn't have time to help you with your homework or that he's too occupied with other things?"

Harry's head moved in a negative shake again, his small hands nervously wringing in his lap. "No."

Her heart eased at the answer, a slight smile gracing her lips. "That's good to hear, Harry. Does he ever assist you with your homework?"

A slow nod from Harry. "When I ask him for help, he does. But, mostly Pam helps me. It wouldn't be fair for him to assist me when he's the one grading the essays."

Madam Lark's interest was piqued at the mention of another character in Harry's life. "Who's Pam, Harry?"

Harry's gaze dropped back down to his lap, a shadow of shyness creeping onto his face. "She's the Learning Healer. She visits every day, helping me with my homework, reading, and handwriting." Harry's eyes sparkled with a glint of excitement as he added, "She even gave me special grips so it's easier to hold a quill!"

Smiling genuinely, she patted the boy on the shoulder, her professional demeanor softening around the edges. "When did she start helping you with your work?"

"Daddy took me to the clinic last weekend to ensure I was healthy. They conducted a bunch of tests to gauge how I was doing in school, and then decided I would benefit from some additional assistance."

Listening intently, Madam Lark nodded, her curiosity deepening. "Do you think she's assisting you, Harry, or is she doing your work for you?"

A look of protest passed over Harry's face, and he vehemently shook his head. "No, she slows me down when I read too fast and she creates worksheets that make writing my essays easier. She truly does help me!"

Seeing the small flash of defensive fire in Harry's eyes, Madam Lark attempted to soothe him. "Ok, Harry, take it easy. It was just a question. I'm sure she is indeed helping you, and I'm glad to hear that."

"Good, because she helps me more than you can imagine."

Madam Lark's eyebrow arched inquisitively, her gaze piercing. "Oh yeah, how so?"

Harry gave a shrug, looking back down at his lap. "Well, she makes me feel safe, and she never belittles me when I don't understand something. She doesn't label me as stupid or anything, unlike the teachers back at my elementary school."

Her smile faded slightly, replaced by a sympathetic expression. "Is that right. I'm glad to hear Pam is supportive, but why did your other teachers treat you that way?"

Harry gave a small shrug of his shoulders, his eyes downcast. "They didn't like me much. My Uncle convinced them that if I got anything right, I must have copied someone else's work. I was meant to be the dim one."

With a comforting pat on Harry's shoulder, Madam Lark gave him a sympathetic nod. "I'm truly sorry to hear that, Harry. But you do know that's not true, right?"

Harry's lips thinned as he struggled with his words. "That's what Daddy and Pam keep telling me. I'm trying to believe them, but it's difficult when I feel so ignorant every time I don't know something."

"Harry, look at me," Madam Lark commanded gently.

Raising his gaze, Harry met the woman's eyes. Her expression was serious, yet kind. "Harry, all my reports indicate that you're an extremely bright and intelligent young man. Please don't view yourself otherwise because it simply isn't true."

With another shrug, Harry chose silence, causing Madam Lark to sigh softly.

"Alright, Harry. Let's discuss your life here further. Has Professor Snape ever disciplined you?"

Harry's eyes flicked up to the woman, and he nodded before looking back down at his lap, his fingers fidgeting with the hem of his shirt. "Yes."

"And what did Professor Snape do, Harry?"

"I...I snuck out of my room late at night and put myself in danger by following a book into a hidden chamber beneath the school. Daddy warned me on the first day that he didn't want me to endanger myself, that there would be consequences if I did."

Observing Harry's hesitance, Madam Lark gently rested a hand on his shoulder, her expression understanding. She didn't want to pressure or embarrass him, yet it was crucial she determined whether or not Professor Snape had caused him any harm.

"What was the consequence, Harry?"

Harry's cheeks turned as red as his best friend's hair. "He...he spanked me and made me stand in the corner for a while."

The social worker's eyebrows shot up into her hairline. "Did he? How did you feel about that?"

Maintaining his blush, Harry kept his gaze lowered, his discomfort apparent. Discussing this was clearly mortifying for him. "It stung and hurt quite a bit, but by the time I went to bed that night, it was as if it never happened. He...he held me afterwards while I cried. It was comforting to be held like that, and...and he assured me everything was forgiven and forgotten."

A slow nod of understanding, accompanied by a gentle smile, graced Madam Lark's face. "It sounds as though he truly cares for you, Harry."

With a gentle smile spreading across his face, Harry's eyes dropped to the toy he cradled in his lap. Unconsciously, he pulled the plush creature, Shadow, from its tucked-away place behind him.

Observing the new, tiny occupant, Madam Lark's eyebrow rose in a silent query. "And who is this, Harry?"

Harry cast a fond look at the toy nestled comfortably in his lap. "This is Shadow. Daddy got her for me; she's my first gift, well, besides Hedwig."

She nodded approvingly, her hand reaching out instinctively to brush against the soft fabric of the toy. "She seems delightful, and very soft. When did you get her?"

Harry's gaze seemed to look past the room they sat in, lost in memory. "Severus took me to Hogsmeade to buy some clothes. We ended up in a toy store. He said I could have three things, but I only wanted her."

Puzzled, Madam Lark tilted her head to the side. "Why just her, Harry?"

With a sigh, Harry pulled Shadow closer to his chest, as if protecting her from the world. "She was small, and I knew she wasn't expensive. He'd already spent so much on clothes for me, and I didn't want him to spend any more. But I knew he wouldn't leave until I chose something."

A pang of sympathy tugged at the social worker's heart as she nodded, the weight of Harry's words settling on her. "I have one last question for you, Harry. Did Professor Snape request you to call him 'daddy,' or did you decide that on your own?"

Harry's gaze met hers, the blush that had graced his cheeks earlier beginning to fade. "He never asked me. But he's my daddy, so why should I call him anything else?"

Laughing softly, Madam Lark shook her head in amusement. "No, Harry, you're perfectly right. What would you like to do now? Perhaps read a book? I have to go and speak with your daddy."

"I'll write in my journal. Is that okay?"

Her smile returned, and she gave a small nod of approval. "Yes, Harry, that sounds perfect."

With her permission, Harry slid off his bed, leaving Shadow behind, and headed towards his desk. As he settled into the chair, he pulled open his journal to the right page and picked up his quill. The moment felt perfectly peaceful, as if the world outside ceased to exist, and all that mattered was the boy and his thoughts.

Seeing that Harry was absorbed, Madam Lark turned her attention towards her next task – finding the Potions Professor.

When she located the man in the living room with the Headmaster, she greeted them both with a small nod. Severus, in turn, signaled for her to sit, an invitation she gratefully accepted.

Anticipation hung heavy in the room, the two men's eyes fixated on her. But before she could address their silent questions, Severus voiced his concern.

"How did it go?"

A smile found its way onto Madam Lark's face, her heart warmed by the obvious concern in his voice. The familial bond between the two was apparent. If only she could bypass the bureaucratic red tape and declare them a family now, she would. But there were procedures, checks, and balances. Harry would have to meet his extended family and spend some time with them before any permanent decisions were made. Sometimes, the system could be frustrating, but she reminded herself that it was there for a reason.

"Harry appears to be very happy living here with you. I still can't proceed with the paperwork until after Harry spends some time with his relatives. However, based on what I've observed, I predict there'll be no issue placing him here if that's his ultimate wish. Before I proceed, though, I need to ask you a few standard questions."

Both Severus and Albus exhaled a small sigh of relief. They had hoped, but were uncertain, that they would not have to convince the social worker that Severus was providing adequate care for Harry. At least one of their concerns seemed to be assuaged for now.

"Firstly, how did Harry come under your care?" the social worker inquired.

Severus crossed his arms over his chest, recounting the sequence of events in which he had discovered Harry injured and subsequently healed him. Madam Lark attentively listened, nodding occasionally, but inside, she was livid at Harry's aunt and uncle. She harbored a fervent desire to hex them into oblivion. How could anyone inflict such harm on a child?

When Severus concluded his narration, Madam Lark closed her eyes momentarily as if to absorb the gravity of the information just relayed. Reopening them, she fixed an intense gaze on the man seated opposite her.

"You mentioned that Harry was taken to the clinic. Was that mainly to ensure his well-being, or was there something else you wished to follow up on?"

Severus deciphered the subtext behind the social worker's question. Undoubtedly, Harry had mentioned his clinic visit to assess his learning abilities. With a resigned sigh, Severus nodded his acknowledgement.

"A bit of both. We needed to confirm that Harry was healing properly from his injuries, but we were also curious if his education had suffered due to his time with his relatives. As you're undoubtedly aware, it indeed was affected to some degree, but we're actively assisting him to cope."

Madam Lark nodded in understanding. "Regarding the summer break, where do you intend to reside? I see here that you own several family estates, yet you haven't resided in any of them for a considerable time. Do you have a suitable residence for Harry?"

Initially directed his gaze at Albus, and upon receiving a small nod of affirmation, Severus too nodded. "I've been staying with the Headmaster, who is akin to family for me, and I believe that Harry would appreciate his expansive mansion as well. It's fully equipped with items to keep him entertained, and there's a large guardian outside that I'm certain he'd love."

Severus disregarded Albus's twinkling eyes, sparked by the mention of 'family'. He knew he wouldn't hear the end of that comment. Resigning himself to this inevitability, he braced for the next question from the social worker.

"What about social interactions? Would he have the opportunity to meet his friends when school is not in session?"

Once again, the potions master confirmed with a nod. "Yes, Harry is free to invite his friends over or visit their homes anytime he wishes. I don't have any objections to that; in fact, I encourage it."

"Alright, those were some of the lighter queries. Now, I must ask, and I mean no offense, but are you interested in adopting Harry to gain access to his wealth?"

Severus bristled at the audacity of the question, but Albus laid a placating hand on his shoulder, reminding him that the woman was simply doing her job.

"Absolutely not," Severus retorted emphatically. "As soon as he becomes my son, I intend to seal all his accounts until he comes of age. He's still a child, and his inheritance shouldn't be used for expenses that I'm capable of covering. His wealth should be reserved for significant future endeavors, like purchasing a house or something similar."

Suppressing a smile, Madam Lark merely nodded. Her respect for this man was growing. "Regarding discipline, Harry mentioned that you spanked him. Would that be a regular occurrence?"

Severus stared at her intently. "No, not at all. Spanking is reserved for when he directly endangers himself. Otherwise, punishments would involve spending time in the corner, writing lines, or similar consequences."

The social worker offered a small nod. "What about his name? Would you request him to change his last name to yours?"

Severus shook his head decisively. "I wouldn't impose such a demand on him. If he ever decides on his own to change his name, I will fully support him. But ultimately, it is his decision, not mine to make."

"Alright, that wraps up my questions. As you're aware, I'll be overseeing Harry's case from now on. On Monday, I'll accompany him to his cousins'. His Mind Healer and Learning Healer can visit whenever they wish, but I must request that you refrain from doing so. He needs to adjust to his new environment independently and gauge whether he likes it there without external influences."

Severus nodded, albeit hesitantly. He didn't like it, but he understood. "I understand."

"Until then, I hope you have a splendid weekend." Rising from her seat, she made her way to the Floo Network, leaving them in silence.

As soon as she had departed, Severus turned to Albus and buried his face in his hands. Albus, in a gentle gesture, placed a comforting hand on Severus's back, rubbing soothing circles.

"Everything will be fine, Severus. This too shall pass, and soon, Harry will be your son. No one can take him away from you then."

Severus raised his head, meeting Albus's gaze. "Do you genuinely believe she'll help us?"

"It certainly appears that way, Severus. Besides, it seems she has taken quite a liking to you."

A blush crept up Severus's cheeks. "You must be mistaken! Who could ever be attracted to a 'dungeon bat' like me?"

"Severus, don't underestimate yourself. You're a rather handsome man. Moreover, I believe I noticed you reciprocating the glances she was casting your way."

Rising from his chair, still flushed, Severus headed towards Harry's room. "I think I'll go check on Harry."

After Severus had exited, Albus allowed a smile to touch his lips, his eyes twinkling with mirth. He sincerely hoped that Severus would allow someone else to care for him. He understood that Severus had been clinging to the memory of Lily, but he deserved happiness, and perhaps this woman might help him move forward.

Harboring this thought, Albus got up and made his way towards Harry's room. On reaching the doorway, he paused, taking in the sight of Severus seated on the bed with Harry beside him. It was heartening to see Severus so at ease.

Not wanting to disrupt the moment, but knowing he had to convey the extended holiday, Albus cleared his throat. "Severus, Harry?"

Both turned towards Albus, and Harry instinctively scooted closer to Severus. "I propose a full three-day weekend. I will cover your classes this afternoon, Severus, and gather all your assignments, Harry. Moreover, we might have a surprise visitor later."

Severus arched an eyebrow. "A guest? Does this guest have a certain...lupine issue?"

Albus laughed heartily at Severus's coded description while shaking his head. "No, it isn't Remus. It's someone else and that's all I'll disclose. Although, I think I'll share your description with Remus."

Departing the room still chuckling, Albus left Severus and Harry to their own devices. Shaking his head, Severus grumbled good-naturedly.

Severus settled back against the soft pillows of the couch, his eyes narrowing as he muttered, "That old eccentric."

Upon hearing Severus's remark, Harry craned his neck to look up at him, a frown puckering his forehead. "That's not very nice, daddy."

In response, Severus flashed a playful, mischievous smile down at the boy, ruffling his dark, unruly hair gently. "I know, Harry, but I can't sugarcoat the truth."

"Daddy!" Harry protested, his tone laced with exaggerated indignation, his face lighting up with feigned shock.

Severus laughed softly, holding up his hands in surrender. "Alright, alright. He isn't eccentric, but he certainly is old."

Harry, now with a mock disapproving expression, lifted his gaze and shook his head gently. "That still isn't very kind, daddy."

"I know," Severus conceded, his tone softening. He ruffled Harry's hair once more, before gently guiding his attention back to the matter at hand. "But it's the truth. Now, let's discuss next week, shall we?" He said, as he took a deep breath, preparing to broach the upcoming change.

Harry gave a subdued nod, his gaze sinking back down. Truth be told, he was immensely grateful for the temporary diversion the Headmaster had provided. He dreaded being taken to his cousin's, and he didn't want to dwell on the impending change.

Severus watched as Harry's mood shifted, a shadow of apprehension clouding his expressive eyes. He let out a sigh but knew they couldn't skirt around the issue forever. Reaching behind him, he retrieved the book Albus had brought for Harry.

Reaching over to the table next to the couch, Severus picked up a seemingly ordinary book. He held it out to Harry, his voice firm yet gentle, "This is for you, Harry. While I may not be permitted to visit you, this doesn't prevent us from communicating. You can write to me anytime you want, and I'll respond."

Harry accepted the book, his small hands cradling it reverently. His eyes, the same vivid green as his mother's, flickered with curiosity and a touch of apprehension. "So, I just need to jot down my thoughts in this book, and you'll be able to converse with me?"

Severus nodded, his gaze warm and encouraging. "Exactly, Harry. As soon as I receive your message, I'll write back."

Accepting this, Harry gave a tiny, almost imperceptible nod. He leaned into Severus's side, seeking the familiar comfort and security he provided. His voice, usually so full of youthful energy, trembled slightly, revealing his inner unease. "I don't want to leave you."

Severus's reaction was instinctive. His arm snaked around Harry's shoulders, pulling him closer in a protective embrace. His gaze, intense and sincere, met Harry's as he gave a reassuring nod. "I know, Harry. The feeling is mutual. But remember, you'll be back home before you know it. I promise you that." His voice was steady, offering Harry the reassurance he needed in that moment.