Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Papers
Emerging from the grip of sleep, Harry found himself snuggled deep into the warmth of his sheets. A warmth that was oddly localized on his chest, causing him to furrow his brow in puzzlement. His fingers were splayed across a tiny, fuzzy warmth. He thought it felt rather like his plush toy cat, but this was different. It was radiating heat... and was that purring he could feel? He was quite certain his toy cat was incapable of purring.

In his half-conscious state, he absentmindedly stroked the small fluff ball resting on his chest. Its softness intrigued him, stirring his curiosity as the vibrations from the tiny creature intensified under his touch.

Overcome with curiosity, Harry carefully opened his eyes, allowing his gaze to drift downward. Nestled on his chest was a small, black bundle of fur, its large green eyes blinking curiously at him. The sudden realization caused Harry to withdraw his hand, watching in quiet awe as the tiny creature extended its legs in a stretch, arching its back in the process. The kitten balanced on its hind legs, eyes squinting shut and mouth opening wide, releasing a tiny yawn into the quiet room.

Having finished its stretching ritual, the kitten began to navigate towards Harry's face, its nose twitching as it sniffed at the boy's cheek. Apparently satisfied with its inspection, the kitten nuzzled against him, silently asking for more attention.

Harry's lips stretched into a wide grin as he ran his fingers through the kitten's soft fur, the creature's purring growing stronger under his touch.

"I wonder who you belong to, little one. You're quite adorable," he murmured, his gaze softening as he watched the creature nuzzle into his hand.

Across the room, Severus, a twinkle of amusement in his eyes, broke the quiet, his voice echoing softly in the room. "She's yours, Harry."

Harry's eyes shot open in surprise, darting over to Severus as his hand stilled on the kitten. "She's mine? ….But how?" He asked, his voice a whisper of disbelief.

Severus pushed himself off the armchair he'd been sitting in keeping a watch over Harry, crossing the space between them. He sat on the edge of Harry's bed, his hand extending to join Harry's in stroking the kitten. At the new touch, the kitten tilted her head, her green eyes meeting Severus's before releasing a tiny mew of acknowledgement.

A soft, almost tender smile danced on Severus's lips as he gently scooped up the kitten, placing her back on Harry's chest to gain a better view of his son's expression. "I believe Albus thought you might enjoy a companion. She doesn't have a name, so you get to pick one."

Still in a state of mild shock, Harry continued to stroke the purring kitten, his gaze shifting up to meet Severus's. "You...you mean I can keep her?"

Severus's smile broadened, his hand reaching to pat Harry's shoulder encouragingly. "Indeed, Harry. But there is something special about her. She's not just any kitten; she's a protective kneazle. They bond with only one person in their lifetime, showing complete loyalty to their chosen one."

Harry felt warmth creep into his cheeks as he glanced down at his new friend, who was now kneading his chest, a gentle purr resonating from her small body.

Severus continued, his voice maintaining a soothing rhythm. "They are also fiercely protective of their chosen ones. If they sense any danger, they can conjure a protective shield around their chosen one."

Recognition flickered in Harry's eyes as he looked at the kitten, realization dawning on him. "So...you mean...she's chosen me?" He questioned, his voice barely a whisper.

Severus nodded, a soft warmth lighting up his eyes. "I couldn't separate you two even if I wanted to. Have you thought of a name?"

Harry nodded, his fingers still gently stroking the kitten. He had always known what he would name his first pet. "What about Arwen? I've always liked that name."

Upon hearing her new name, the kitten meowed contentedly, causing both Severus and Harry to smile in response.

"I think she approves, Harry," Severus stated, an approving nod accompanying his words.

With a look of pure contentment on his face, Harry watched as Arwen pranced up to his neck before traipsing down his shoulder and finding a spot on his pillow. She circled a few times before curling up, her tiny body forming a cute ball as she let out a satisfied meow.

As Arwen made herself comfortable, Harry propped himself up in bed, his mind inevitably drifting back to the prior day's events. A heaviness seemed to settle over his heart, dimming his previous joy.

Sensing the shift in Harry's mood, Severus sighed gently, moving his hand to rest on the boy's back in a comforting manner. He knew he would have to address this later, after Harry had eaten. He was well aware of Harry's frail health; he couldn't afford to skip meals.

"Are you hungry, Harry?" Severus asked, his tone soft yet firm.

Despite the hunger gnawing at him from skipping lunch and dinner yesterday, Harry shook his head. He was laden with guilt for lying to Severus, believing he deserved this self-imposed punishment.

"Does your stomach hurt?" Severus probed further, concern etched in his features.

Once again, Harry shook his head, attributing the uncomfortable grumble in his stomach to his intense hunger.

Severus frowned, retracting his hand from Harry's back to gently coax the boy's chin upwards, prompting him to meet his gaze.

"My child, what's bothering you?" He asked, his voice a quiet echo of worry in the room.

Harry attempted to avert his gaze, to hide from the piercing eyes of his father, but Severus's firm grip on his chin held him in place. A wave of dread washed over him, stirring tears in his eyes as he anticipated his father's wrath for his dishonesty. His mind was a whirlwind of fear, the images of being cast aside for his ungratefulness painting a terrifying picture.

Upon catching sight of his son's tear-filled eyes, Severus briefly closed his own, taking a moment to collect himself. When he opened them again, he was quick to act. His grip on Harry's chin softened, and he drew the boy closer, enveloping him in his arms, offering solace against his chest.

"It's alright, Harry, but I need you to talk to me. Are you in any pain? Does anything hurt?" Severus questioned gently, his voice a soothing murmur.

His face buried in his father's shoulder, Harry shook his head, stubbornly ignoring the nagging pain in his stomach that seemed to be intensifying. "Then what's wrong, Harry? Are you still feeling sleepy?"

Fresh tears welled up in Harry's eyes, spilling down his cheeks as he shook his head again. Severus, filled with concern and confusion, carefully shifted Harry, pulling him closer into a gentle side hug. This allowed Harry to stay warmly wrapped in his sheets while remaining cocooned in his father's protective embrace.

"Shhhh, it's alright, Harry," Severus tried to reassure, his voice barely more than a whisper.

Yet, each attempt at soothing only seemed to fuel Harry's tears. The kinder his father was, the more guilt consumed him. How could he be so ungrateful to lie to him? However, a nagging voice in the back of his head argued that he had done it to avoid being a burden.

Desperate for a solution, Severus reached for his pendant, quietly summoning Don. The Healer's expertise was their only hope to figure out what was wrong with Harry. Witnessing his child's distress was unbearable, and his inability to console him made it even worse.

Just minutes after the call, Don appeared in the room, concern apparent in his eyes. Without wasting a moment, he approached the weeping boy, settling next to Severus and Harry. His hand landed gently on Harry's back, causing a flinch.

"Harry, can you tell us what's bothering you?" Don probed gently.

Harry responded with another shake of his head, his crying persisting. With a sigh, Don began to work his calming magic on Harry. It was clear the boy was on the brink of a panic attack.

"Breathe, Harry. Just breathe," Don instructed, his tone steady.

Gradually, Harry's erratic breathing began to settle, but the fear that had spurred his hyperventilation still lingered.

Severus gently eased Harry back from his robes, repositioning the boy's head on his shoulder to allow a clear view of both Don and himself.

Running his fingers gently through Harry's hair, Severus leaned down to plant a soft kiss on his son's forehead. "Please, Harry, tell us what's troubling you."

Despite his breathing returning to normal, Harry's tears still flowed, and he responded with a shake of his head.

With a sigh of exasperation, Severus turned to Don for assistance. Why didn't Harry feel comfortable confiding in him? Had he unintentionally upset the boy? Was it related to his experience with the Death Eaters? Or could it be lingering trauma from the Cruciatus Curse?

Don, sensing Severus's distress, gave him an encouraging glance. He walked over and, picked up an extra blanket from the end of the bed, and walked back to drape it gently around the small, trembling boy. He then pulled a chair closer and positioned himself directly in front of Harry.

"Harry, I know you're hesitant to speak about what's bothering you, but we can't help you if we don't understand what's wrong," Don reasoned, his tone gentle and persuasive.

Harry glanced downwards and held onto Severus tightly, shaking his head in denial.

With a resigned sigh, Don laid a comforting hand on Harry's back, disregarding the boy's flinch. "Is your upset tied to something that happened yesterday?"

Harry's wide eyes started to shake a 'no', but halted, slowly morphing into a nod. A small smile appeared on Don's face as he patted Harry's back reassuringly.

"That's a start, Harry. Are you upset about what that man did to you?" Don inquired gently, treading lightly around the sensitive topic.

Harry shook his head, squeezing his eyes tightly shut. He didn't want to relive the harrowing memories, especially when his heart was heavy with the fear of Severus's reaction to his deceit. Would Severus abandon him, or send him back to his cousins? Would they care for him with the same warmth and compassion as Severus? He doubted it; after all, he was just a 'freak', tainted and unworthy.

In his distress, Harry was unknowingly projecting his thoughts. Anyone with even a smidgen of skill in Legilimency could pick them up, which included both Severus and Don. Both men shared a pained look at the boy's anguished thoughts.

When Harry eventually opened his eyes, Severus tightened his embrace. "Oh Harry, is that truly what you believe? That I would cast you aside because of a lie? No matter what you do or how many lies you tell, I will never abandon you. My love for you is unconditional."

With that, Harry burrowed deeper into Severus's robes, his sobs growing louder and more heart-wrenching. Don's magical expertise was crucial, ensuring the boy maintained a safe breathing rhythm amidst his emotional turmoil.

Now understanding the depth of Harry's fears, Severus gently closed his eyes and rested his chin atop Harry's head. "Easy now, Harry. I'm not angry, not in the least."

Gradually, Harry's crying subsided, his tiny body going limp in Severus's arms, the outburst having drained his energy. Once the tears had ceased, Severus conjured a warm washcloth, gently dabbing away the tear streaks. Setting the cloth aside, he turned a serious gaze to the boy. "Harry, we need to talk."

A tremor passed through Harry's frame as he clung tighter to Severus. Heaving a sigh, Severus began addressing the proverbial elephant in the room. "I know you lied, Harry, but I'm not angry. I am, however, disappointed that you didn't trust me enough to tell the truth. But I am not mad."

Harry's gaze fell, the heat of embarrassment blooming across his cheeks. "A...are you going to punish me?" he managed to stammer out, his voice barely above a whisper.

Severus, still holding Harry close, glanced down at the boy. His lips curled into a small, reassuring smile, and he gently brushed a lock of hair from Harry's forehead. "Well, Harry, what do you think?" he asked, his tone calm and non-accusatory.

Tension knotted Harry's small hands as he fiddled with the hem of his shirt, his eyes refusing to meet Severus's. "I...I feel really guilty...I...I don't know..." Harry's voice trailed off, his confession hanging heavy in the air.

Severus gave a solemn nod, his gaze never leaving Harry. "I believe ten minutes in the corner should suffice. What do you think?" he proposed, his voice steady despite the lump forming in his throat.

As much as the idea distressed Severus, he knew that Harry needed some form of consequence for his lie. He understood the boy's guilt would gnaw at him if not addressed appropriately.

Harry responded with a small nod, his gaze still anchored to his lap. "I'm really sorry, sir," he mumbled, the regret in his voice palpable.

Severus squeezed Harry's shoulder gently. "It's okay, child. Are you hungry?" he asked, hoping to divert the boy's attention from his guilt.

The question elicited a nod from Harry, albeit hesitant and guilt-ridden. His stomach ached, a physical reminder of the other lies he had woven that day.

Severus furrowed his brow in concern. "Harry?" he prompted again, nudging the boy gently.

Harry responded by closing his eyes tightly and bowing his head in shame. The echo of his father's forgiveness for one lie rang in his ears, but he had two more yet to confess...

Severus's hand came to rest on the back of Harry's head, his fingers threading gently through the boy's unruly hair. "Alright, son. We'll get you some food and then you'll spend an additional five minutes in the corner. That's for the other lies."

Surprised, Harry finally looked up at Severus. "How...how do you know what I'm...thinking?"

Severus smiled down at Harry, his hand still absent-mindedly stroking the boy's hair, while in the corner of the room, Don started to prepare some food for the boy. "Your thoughts were incredibly loud, Harry. So loud that we could hear them."

Harry's cheeks heated up with a blush, and he leaned further into Severus's embrace. He reached up hesitantly, wrapping his small arms around Severus's neck and burying his face into the man's shoulder. "I'm sorry...I'm sorry for being so bad," he whispered.

Severus tightened his embrace, making sure the blanket enveloping them was secure. "You are not bad, Harry. You could never be bad. You are my wonderful little boy, and that will never change."

Just then, the sound of soft footsteps heralded Don's return to the room, a tray of food in his hands. He moved cautiously, seating himself in the chair he'd previously occupied and placing the tray on his lap. He extended a comforting hand to lay it gently on Harry's back.

"Harry, I've got some soup and yogurt here for you," Don announced gently, his voice kind and understanding.

Harry slowly loosened his arms from around Severus's neck, sinking back down to nestle comfortably against the man's side once again. He cast a fleeting glance towards Don, the Healer in the room, his eyes darting shyly towards his own stomach.

Don, reading the boy's silent plea, picked up the yogurt and a spoon, extending them towards Harry. "Eat up, Harry," he encouraged gently, offering an encouraging smile.

Harry accepted the yogurt, peeling off the top with shaking hands. His initial hesitation gave way to eagerness as the enticing raspberry flavor burst on his tongue, compelling him to eat with increasing fervor.

Seeing the boy's voracious appetite, Severus placed a calming hand on Harry's. "Slow down, Harry," he gently admonished, "you're going to make yourself sick."

A blush crept across Harry's cheeks, the familiar sting of embarrassment hitting him for having fallen back into his old habits.

Don, noticing the boy's discomfort, stepped in. "It's okay, Harry. There's no need to be embarrassed. You haven't eaten anything in quite a while, and it's only natural to eat quickly when you're hungry."

Harry nodded, his gaze falling back onto the yogurt, the spoon once again dipping into it as soon as Severus's hand was removed.

Much later, having polished off his yogurt and half a bowl of chicken noodle soup, Harry felt considerably satiated. As Don cleared away the empty dishes, he returned to Harry's side and peered into the boy's eyes. "How are you feeling, Harry? Does your tummy hurt?" he inquired softly.

Shaking his head, Harry cast his gaze downward, the guilt from his earlier lie still gnawing at him.

Severus, interpreting Harry's downcast look, sighed quietly. He decided it best to deal with Harry's self-imposed guilt immediately. The boy had not committed any grave error in his eyes; he was not angry with him for his little lie. He understood Harry's fear, the lack of complete trust that he, Severus, had yet to earn. Actions always spoke louder than words.

"Come, Harry. Why don't you spend those fifteen minutes in the corner, and then we'll talk," Severus suggested, his voice gentle.

Harry's head remained bowed as he gave a small nod. Severus cast a glance at Don, who merely nodded in agreement and gestured towards the corner. Both men recognized that Harry wouldn't feel better until he believed he had atoned for his actions. Furthermore, they knew that any deviation from what was initially declared would only add to Harry's confusion.

Severus helped Harry to his feet, carefully removing the blanket from around his shoulders. With a tender touch guiding the boy, he led Harry towards the appointed corner. As they reached it, Severus conjured a robe from his bags and draped it over Harry's small frame, ensuring the boy wouldn't get cold or feel overly exposed.

With Harry standing in the corner, Severus placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Okay, Harry. I want you to think about why you're standing here. You should know that you can trust Don and I, and you can tell us anything. When you lie, it hinders our ability to help you. We become unsure of whether you're telling the truth, leaving us uncertain of how to assist you. We want you to trust us, and we want to be able to trust you as well."

As Harry's shoulders began to hitch with suppressed emotion, Severus gave him a reassuring squeeze. "I understand why you didn't tell anyone, Harry. I know the fear and the shame you felt. What happened to you was not your fault. Please promise me you understand that."

Harry's breath hitched as he gave a small nod. A tiny part of his heart was beginning to believe in Severus's words. It was a minuscule start, but it was a start nonetheless on his long, winding road to recovery.

Severus gave Harry's shoulder a gentle squeeze once more before moving away, leaving the boy to his thoughts. "Very good, Harry," he praised, "I want you to stand there and think about everything I just said, alright? And remember, I'm not mad at you."

Harry nodded, a lump forming in his throat as he fought to control his emotions. He was well aware that everything his adoptive father was saying was true. Yet, it was hard to stomach the fact that his daddy was scolding him. The words left him with a pang of guilt that twisted his stomach. He understood this was probably the expected reaction when standing in the corner, but that didn't mean he had to like it.

Severus retreated from Harry, resuming his seat in the chair he had sat in earlier, exchanging a glance with Don. The Healer responded with an approving smile and nod. Indeed, being a parent was challenging, especially when it involved punishments. The old adage, "this hurts me more than it hurts you," rang all too true at the moment.

Don reached out, placing a comforting hand on Severus's shoulder. He leaned in, whispering in a low voice, "You're doing the right thing, Severus. He would've continued to punish himself had you not intervened."

Severus nodded, his shoulders slightly relaxing as Don's hand fell away, leaving behind a reassuring squeeze. For the next fifteen minutes, the room was filled with Harry's muffled sniffles while Severus and Don watched him from afar, the small boy alone with his guilt.

Severus had to summon all his self-control to refrain from rushing to Harry as tears started streaking down the boy's cheeks. It tore at his heart to see the boy so distraught. He would have given into his paternal instincts if it weren't for Don's hand on his shoulder, grounding him and reminding him of the lesson at hand.

Finally, the long fifteen minutes elapsed. Don removed his hand, gesturing for Severus to go to his son. With a forced air of calmness, Severus stood and approached Harry. The moment he laid a gentle hand on Harry's shoulder, he found his arms filled with a small, sobbing boy.

Severus enfolded the boy in a fierce hug, his voice a comforting rumble against Harry's ear. "It's all over now, Harry. Everything is forgiven and forgotten. I don't want you to dwell anymore on those lies. Just try not to do it again."

Harry burrowed deeper into Severus's chest, nodding against the familiar robes that smelled of comforting cinnamon and spice.

After a few moments, Harry's sobs began to subside, and Severus pulled back slightly. "Come, Harry. I believe we have some matters to discuss," he said, steering the boy back towards the bed.

Once they reached the bed, Severus seated himself and settled Harry against his side. He then reached over and placed the small, fuzzy kitten in Harry's lap.

"Having a pet is a wonderful experience, Harry," he began, his voice gentle and instructive, "but it also means you have to learn how to take care of her. Unlike a dog, she doesn't need walks, but you will need to clean her litter box regularly. And of course, she must always have food and water. Can you manage all that? It's a big responsibility."

Petting the purring kitten, Harry nodded hesitantly. "I think I can, but what if I forget?"

A soft smile played on Severus's lips. "At first, I'll remind you, but eventually, it will become routine for you."

"What about school? Are we going back soon?" Harry asked, curiosity sparkling in his eyes.

Severus glanced at Don, who nodded back in silent approval. He sighed before addressing Harry's question, "Professor Dumbledore thought it would be beneficial for us to spend some time at home after we sign the adoption papers."

Harry's hand stilled on the kitten as he tilted his head to look up at Severus. "So, when will we go back then? End of the week?"

Severus shook his head, "We thought it best to take the rest of the term off. Pam will be coming by so you won't fall behind with your studies. With everything that's happened, we thought a more relaxed learning environment would be better."

Harry gave a small nod of understanding, his attention returning to the kitten. "The adoption papers? When are we going to sign those?"

Severus reached into his pocket, pulling out two forms with a flourish. "Right now, if you want."

Harry's eyes widened, his heart pounding in his chest. While a small part of him questioned who would want a 'freak' like him, a larger, more dominant part of his heart thrummed with excitement at the prospect of having a real family. So, he pushed his doubts aside, took the offered quill, and signed the papers with determination.

Once Harry had signed, Severus took the quill and added his own signature. The completed papers levitated from their grasp, disappearing to be officially processed by the Ministry.

Severus wrapped his arms tightly around the small boy pressed against his side, planting a kiss on his forehead. "Welcome to the family, Harry."

Harry sank into the embrace, a content sigh escaping his lips. He finally had a home; he just hoped he wouldn't do anything to ruin it.

Several hours later, Harry was dozing in his bed after a satisfying lunch. Despite his best efforts, he still found himself eating too quickly, the old habits he thought he had overcome coming back in full force.

In the tranquil hours before lunch, Severus, Don, and Harry discussed the transition back to Dumbledore's Manor, exploring the nuances of the house rules and boundaries.

Severus, his face framed by the dancing shadows, had stated the rules that Harry was already familiar with from his school life, layering on a few additional caveats related to broom usage and a curfew that would ensure Harry was always home before dark. The dark-hued potions lab, littered with bubbling concoctions and mysterious ingredients, and the personal bedrooms of both Albus and Severus were established as areas that were off limits to Harry when an adult was not present.

Harry had nodded thoughtfully, showing he indeed understood. Yet, he had a pressing question. "Daddy, can I still come to your room when I'm scared, or have a nightmare?" he asked, his voice tremulous.

Severus bestowed a warm smile upon his son, his heart swelling at the innocent question. He nodded reassuringly, "You'll always be welcome there, Harry. The rule is there for when I or Albus are not present."

The peaceful memory pulled Severus from his contemplation, as he found himself sitting again by Harry's bedside. He gently stroked the boy's unruly hair, the rhythmic motion a soothing both of them. After spending over an hour silently watching Harry sleep, he finally rose from the bed to confer with Don.

Crossing the room to join the Healer, Severus sank into a chair, his dark robes whispering against the fabric. A silencing spell subtly twined around them, a cautious precaution to prevent waking Harry prematurely.

"When do you think Harry can come home?" Severus asked, his voice quiet.

Don, leaning back in his chair, considered the question before responding. "He seems to be in a good mental state, aside from the expected trauma. I'd like to discuss his recollections of the Cruciatus curse to confirm his memory hasn't been compromised, and to assure him he'll never face such an experience again."

Severus gave a curt nod. "Can we head home after that? I want him to begin acclimating as soon as possible."

Don returned the nod, his face alight with a gentle smile. "Yes, that would be an appropriate time."

Severus cast one last look at Harry, still slumbering peacefully. With a final nod, he rose from his seat, moved back to Harry's bedside, and resumed stroking the boy's hair. But the moment Harry jerked back in his sleep, Severus paused, closing his eyes momentarily before resuming his comforting touch.

"Time to wake up, Harry," he murmured softly, careful not to startle the boy.

Harry stirred, turning over in the bed. As he moved, the fluffy kitten on the bed roused, stretching languidly before sauntering up to Harry's face. The sight of the kitten, green eyes sparkling in the dim light, licking Harry's cheek brought an involuntary smile to Severus's face. He withdrew his hand, entrusting the duty of waking Harry to the little furball.

Severus watched, a hint of amusement playing across his stern features as he observed the small kitten enthusiastically lapping at the sleeping boy. Harry, with a grumble of surrender to the waking world, extended a small hand to pet the insistent furball, his green eyes fluttering open. "Alright, alright Arwen. I'm awake," he mumbled, his voice thick with sleep.

The kitten, seemingly content with her victory, sat back on her hind legs and mewed in triumph. A smile tugged at Harry's lips as he lifted the small creature up, before rolling onto his back on the comforter. He turned his head, his smile broadening as his gaze met Severus'.

"Hi daddy," Harry said, the simple phrase carrying a warm weight that filled the room. He reached out, absently stroking the soft fur of the kitten on his lap.

Severus, seated on the side of Harry's bed, his normally harsh features softening in the golden morning light. His reply came as a rare and genuine smile that stretched across his face. "I think I'm beginning to like this kitten. Every time you don't want to get up, I can just sic her on you!"

A chuckle escaped from Harry's lips at Severus' jest. He shot a playful, indignant glance at the little furball who had now started kneading on his chest, her tiny paws rhythmically pressing against the fabric of his shirt.

Just then, the tranquility of the morning was punctuated by the sound of Don's hearty laughter as he came over to join them. Don rested a hand on Severus' shoulder, an air of camaraderie between them. His eyes, full of twinkling amusement, contrasted with the stern demeanor of Severus. "You are one mean man, Severus. Letting that poor cat do all your work for you," he teased, a broad smile splitting his face.

Their shared laughter seemed to fill every corner of the room, creating a joyful resonance that melted the morning chill. Meanwhile, Harry adjusted himself on the bed, allowing the kitten to comfortably settle in his lap. Don pulled a chair close to the bed, situating himself so he could face both the bed and the young boy. Sunlight streamed through the open window, illuminating the room with an ethereal glow, casting dancing shadows on the stone walls.

"Are you ready to go home, Harry?" Don asked in a soft voice that seemed to soothe the room into silence.

Harry gave a simple nod, his attention momentarily drawn downwards as the kitten nipped at his fingers in a playful manner. Don's gaze followed Harry's, a bemused expression on his face as he watched the kitten reprimanding Harry with a stern look.

Lifting his gaze to meet the Healer's, Harry shrugged. "I guess I have a few more questions," he confessed, his tone reflecting his uncertainty.

This seemed to please the kitten who released Harry's finger from her tiny jaws and began to gently lick the tiny puncture marks she had made. Don nodded at Harry, encouraging him to continue.

"Will I be able to see my friends?" Harry asked, his free hand instinctively resuming the rhythmic stroking of the purring kitten.

Severus reassured him, his voice mellow, "I think we can make some arrangements. Your friends could come over a few times, or we can take some trips to Hogwarts to see them. Is that what is troubling you?"

Before Harry could respond, a low growl from his lap made him pause. He sighed, shaking his head as he tried to articulate his real worry. "No...it's just...that...will I have to see my cousins again? I...I know that you said I didn't, but...but will the Ministry make me?"

In response, Severus reached out, his hand finding Harry's back, where he began rubbing soothing circles. "Those papers we signed this morning mean that the Ministry no longer has control over you. So, if you don't want to see them, then you don't have to. They helped finalize the adoption for us; they only wish the best for you."

Harry's eyes widened in surprise as he looked up at Severus. "They did?"

Severus simply gave a small, reassuring nod in response. "They did."

Taking a moment to digest the information, Harry dropped his gaze back to the kitten now purring contentedly in his lap, her green eyes holding an uncanny depth of understanding.

"Is that all, Harry? Did you want to ask anything else?" Severus prodded.

With a shake of his head, Harry responded in the negative, his attention soon captured by the kitten climbing up his legs and jumping onto his shoulder, curling around his neck as if asserting her presence.

Don, understanding the moment was over, nodded and gently patted Harry's arm. "Ok then Harry, would you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

Harry's gaze met Don's, curiosity glinting in his eyes as he nodded in agreement.

Don exhaled, his expression turning serious. "Last night, do you remember being hit with a curse?"

As the question lingered in the air, Harry's gaze fell, his fingers moving to caress the purring kitten on his shoulder as he gave a silent nod. The joviality of the morning was replaced by an unspoken tension. Don's voice, when he continued, was soft but unyielding.

"Can you tell us about it, Harry?" Don asked, the question hanging heavily in the air.

The young boy, with a mane of messy raven hair, inhaled deeply, letting his lungs fill with air before releasing it in a slow, stuttering exhale. He wore an expression of unease, a deep furrow forming in his youthful brow. As if sensing his owner's distress, Arwen, began to nuzzle the side of his neck with gentle affection.

A tender smile formed on Harry's face, softening the worry lines that crept upon his forehead. He reached up and stroked the kitten's soft fur, his fingers running along the top of her head. "Thank you, Arwen," he murmured, his voice barely more than a whisper.

Harry took another profound breath, his chest rising and falling with his effort. He seemed to gather his strength before he nodded, his jaw set with determination. "I...I was in the corner...he had just finished...be...beating me...he...he...pulled out his wand...and..."

Struggling for breath, Harry's face turned ashen. His breathing grew ragged, each gulp of air feeling as insufficient as the last. He drew another breath, then another, yet the sweet relief of a full lungful of air eluded him.

Observing the young boy's difficulty, Don, a seasoned healer with gentle eyes and an understanding smile, moved closer. He took a seat at the edge of Harry's bed, while Severus, a stern man with dark, piercing eyes, relocated to a chair nearby. It was clear that Harry was in desperate need of the Healer's attention. Don placed a comforting hand on Harry's chest, unmoving even as Harry flinched from the contact.

"Breathe deeply for me, Harry. You're safe with people who love you," Don urged, his voice steady and reassuring.

With that, Don channeled calming magic into the young boy, a soft blue aura emanating from his hand. At first, Harry resisted, his panic-induced delirium causing him to mistrust the mystical relief. Yet after a few moments, he began to yield, his breath gradually syncing with the calming waves of magic.

"That's it, Harry. Nice and calm," Don encouraged, relief softening his features.

As Harry began to steady, Arwen hopped from his shoulder, nestling snugly into the crook of his lap.

With a few more deep breaths and a flutter of eyelashes, Harry managed to settle his turbulent feelings. "I'm...I'm sorry," he stuttered, his voice but a hoarse whisper.

Don lifted his hand from Harry's chest, the calming magic dissipating into the air. "It's okay, Harry. There is no need to be sorry. You have been through so much, and it's normal to feel frightened sometimes when you think of the past."

Harry looked down at Arwen, stroking the soft fur absentmindedly as he nodded. "Can...can I tell you the rest?"

"Yes, Harry, whenever you are ready," Don affirmed, his voice layered with empathy.

Harry took a few more deep breaths, bracing himself for the next part. "He...he took out his wand and...and he cast something...something that sounded like...Crucio?"

The mere mention of that word made Severus flinch involuntarily. It was a spell he knew too well, bringing back the ghastly memories of his own past. He shuddered, remembering the relentless, bone-deep agony the curse inflicted.

Catching the subtle reaction, Don made a mental note to discuss it later. For now, Harry's distress demanded their undivided attention.

Oblivious to the exchange between the two adults, Harry looked up at Don, his eyes a mirror of his confusion and fear. "What...what was that...I...it felt as if someone had thrown my entire body in hot water...and...it...hurt...so...much..."

Struggling to mask his tears, Harry looked down at his lap where Arwen had risen to her hind legs, her small head reaching up to gently nudge his face. His silent tears, though unnoticed by Don, were clearly visible to the keen-eyed Severus.

Acknowledging Severus with a subtle nod, Don made way for him. Rising from his chair, Severus took the spot beside Harry, pulling the trembling boy into a comforting embrace.

"It's all over now, Harry. I have you now, and I promise you, you will never go through anything like that again," Severus declared, his tone infused with rare warmth.

Cuddled close to Severus, Harry held Arwen gently to his chest, the kitten purring softly in return. "He...he cast that spell...two more times...it...really hurt..." Harry confessed, his voice small.

Severus sighed, shifting Harry so the young boy was nestled on his lap. "I know, child, I know. That man will no longer hurt you."

Harry gave a small nod, his large eyes seeking answers. "What…what was that spell?"

Understanding the importance of honesty in this moment, Severus decided to reveal the truth. "It's what's called the Cruciatus Curse, and it's one of the three Unforgivables. It's meant to cause unbearable pain and if it is ever cast then the caster is put in Azkaban."

"Is…is that where that man is?" Harry inquired, his curiosity overpowering his fear.

Severus glanced at Don, who gave a solemn nod. The Healer's silent approval compelled Severus to continue. Sighing deeply, he looked down at the innocent child in his lap. "No, he had another punishment. You see while it is against the law to cast that spell on a normal person it is considered a worse deed casting it on a child. He was sentenced to be Kissed by the Dementors."

"Kissed?" Harry echoed, his confusion returning.

Severus let out a sigh, his stern eyes softened with empathy. "Do you know what a Dementor is, Harry?" he asked, his voice dropping to a near-whisper.

The young boy merely shook his head, his eyes wide with curiosity and a hint of trepidation. Seeing this, Severus embarked on a careful explanation of the harrowing creatures and the grim fate that had befallen the man who had caused Harry so much pain.

By the end of his explanation, Harry's gaze had drifted down to the kitten curled up in his lap. "So they killed him for what he did to me?" His words were almost drowned out by the steady purring of Arwen.

"Harry, look at me," Severus insisted, his tone firm yet laced with an undercurrent of warmth.

Obediently, Harry lifted his eyes, meeting Severus's steady gaze. "Don't you dare start to blame yourself for what happened to him. That man had committed numerous unforgivable acts that ultimately led to his fate. What he did to you... it was inexcusable. You were merely a child, unable to protect yourself."

Harry nodded, but the lingering uncertainty in his eyes betrayed his struggle to internalize Severus's words. Seeing this, Severus made an impromptu decision, compelled by an urge to reassure the troubled boy.

"I know adults have let you down many times in the past, and we have as well. But I promise you, now that you are legally my son, no one can ever hurt you again. You are mine, and I will do everything in my power to protect you."

Harry nodded again, a few stray tears trickling down his cheeks. Though he trusted Severus's words, his scarred heart found it difficult to fully embrace the safety being offered. The repeated betrayals of his past still stung, making him wary of lowering his defenses once again.

Severus and Harry stayed in their comforting embrace for a few more moments, the only sounds being the gentle purring of Arwen and Harry's occasional sniffle. Finally, Severus pulled back and gently brushed away the remaining tears from Harry's face. "Are you ready to go home, Harry?"

Harry nodded slowly, a soft meow of agreement from Arwen drawing a small smile from him. Severus chuckled and extended a hand to pat the small kitten, who was now contentedly kneading Harry's lap with her tiny paws.

"I believe you have yourself a handful here. She's not going to let you get away with anything," Severus commented, his tone lighthearted.

A blush spread across Harry's cheeks as he recalled the nip on his finger from Arwen, followed by the clear, scolding voice he heard in his head, urging him to express his feelings honestly. With the immediate crisis resolved, Harry's curiosity piqued. He looked up at Severus, his eyes filled with inquisitiveness. "Is it normal to be able to hear her talk in my head?"

A sudden silence fell upon the room as the two adults registered Harry's words. It was quite unusual for a wizard to establish such a deep bond with a familiar so quickly, yet it also signified the presence of a pure and untainted soul. Considering everything Harry had endured, his sustained innocence was nothing short of miraculous.

Yet, their silent contemplation seemed to have unnerved Harry, who was now biting his lower lip, his brows furrowed with worry. Seeing this, Severus reached out to gently stroke Arwen, aiming to soothe the anxious boy. "It's not common for someone to bond so quickly, but that is not a bad thing, not at all. In fact, it's a sign of a great wizard."

Harry's gaze darted up to meet Severus's. "But...but I don't want to be a great wizard...I'm just Harry...just Harry..."

Pulling Harry into a comforting hug, Severus reassured him. "I know you are, and being a great wizard is not a bad thing. Look at the Headmaster, he is a wonderful wizard and a wonderful person."

Harry shook his head, his voice barely above a whisper. "I...I don't want the attention...can't I be just Harry?"

Drawing in a deep breath, a reluctant acceptance shadowed Severus face as he resolved that perhaps, the present moment wasn't suitable for the looming conversation. His priority lay in getting Harry comfortable at his home and a good dinner in him before night fell. He reassured the boy, his voice softer than the rustling of parchment, "Alright then, for now, you can just remain Harry. But remember, we will discuss this further, agreed?"

Harry, small fingers buried in the kitten's dark fur, responded only with a nod, his attention monopolized by the purring ball of warmth kneading its tiny paws into his lap.

With a tender kiss planted atop Harry's raven-haired head, Severus gently nudged the boy onto the edge of the worn bed, a whisper of concern lacing his words, "Why don't you freshen up, get dressed, and then we can go home. Would that be agreeable?"

Agreeing, Harry eagerly hopped off the bed and made a beeline for his modest bag strewn across the room. He rummaged through it, retrieving a handful of clothes before setting off toward the bathroom. The kitten, a small shadow at his heels, seemed committed to the job of keeping a watchful eye over its new master.

A quiet chuckle escaped Severus as he watched the amusing scene, shaking his head in mild disbelief. "I find myself questioning if Albus knew just what type of companion he was choosing for Harry."

Don, a man marked by a friendly smile, seemed to share the sentiment. "Oh, I'm certain he did, the cunning old fox. But it will be beneficial for Harry. If the kitten has anything to say about it, Harry won't be able to hide anything from us. Did you notice when she bit his finger?"

Acknowledging with a nod, Severus smirked, "I did, and even I can't match that kind of glare. I wasn't aware felines could display such... intensity!"

Their banter was cut short as Don sobered up, his attention shifting toward the bathroom door. He knew Harry to be efficient in his cleanliness routines, and expected him to emerge at any moment. Casting a significant look toward Severus, who promptly dropped his grin, Don inhaled deeply, bracing himself for the serious discussion at hand.

"It will take time for him to recuperate, Severus. The flinching will eventually fade, but his fear will linger. I suspect his nightmares will return with newfound intensity. I need you to refrain from clearing his mind for a while. It's agonizing to see him suffer, but it's critical that he communicates with someone. His dreams provide a gateway into his world, allowing us a subtle entrance. Each time he shares a memory, he unburdens himself."

Severus responded with a sigh, "If you believe that to be beneficial. Is there anything else I should be vigilant about?"

Don nodded. "Right now, he seems stable given the circumstances, but the following days may prove trying. He may regress, push boundaries, or crave attention. Your duty is to observe and ensure he's managing."

Severus conceded with a nod, then began to pack Harry's belongings, his voice tight as he asked, "Did the Cruciatus curse affect him?"

Healer Don sighed, rising from his seat and slowly approaching Severus. He gently placed a hand on the man's shoulder. "I don't believe so. But if he starts forgetting things or struggles to recall events, contact me immediately."

Understanding etched onto his face, Severus secured the last of Harry's belongings, carefully lifting two plush toys from the bed. He delicately positioned them in the bag, their little heads poking out.

The bathroom door opened, revealing a freshly scrubbed Harry trailed by an overly fluffed kitten, her fur ruffled in disagreement with the steam. Concealing his amusement, Severus gestured for Harry, wrapping a comforting arm around his slender shoulders, willfully disregarding the inevitable flinch.

"Are you okay to leave via Floo?"

Harry gave a tiny nod in response, prompting Severus to gather the bags. "Very well. Collect Arwen, and we'll depart."

Harry complied and followed Severus out of the room. Upon reaching the lobby, he spun around to find Healer Don bestowing a warm smile upon him.

"I'll see you later, Harry. And remember, Pam will be visiting tomorrow to assist with your schoolwork."

In a surprising gesture, Harry moved forward to embrace the man, the kitten in his arms protesting with a soft mew at the sudden squeeze. Pulling away, Harry expressed his gratitude, "Thank you for everything, sir."

Don patted Harry on the shoulder. "I'm here whenever you need me, Harry. Now, take good care of your kitten, and of Severus too."

Nodding in agreement, Harry turned just in time to see Severus cast green Floo powder into the fireplace and call out "Dumbledore Manor." With a final farewell, Harry and Severus leapt into the emerald flames, only to land moments later in a place more enchanting than Harry could ever imagine.