Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

All That Matters
Around eight in the morning, Severus Snape found himself seated at the edge of Harry Potter's bed, his gaze softening as he looked down at the boy. A faint smile appeared on his face, a rare display of affection from the usually stern man. The events of the previous night had left him fraught with worry, but now, with Harry safely back home, a sense of relief washed over him.

With a deep sigh, Severus contemplated the need to address Harry's reckless tendency to plunge into danger. The thought of Harry running away again sent a shiver of fear through his heart. Gently, he placed a hand on Harry's shoulder, intending to rouse him from sleep with a soft touch.

"Good morning, Harry," Severus's voice was calm, yet carried warmth.

Harry, slowly coming to consciousness, rolled over and offered a small smile to Severus. But the memories of the night's events quickly overshadowed his brief moment of happiness, causing him to bury his face in his pillows. Mixed feelings of embarrassment and apprehension about Severus's reaction to his actions churned within him.

Severus, sensing Harry's distress, began to soothe him with gentle strokes on his shoulder. He was already aware of the situation, thanks to a conversation he had the previous night, but he felt it necessary to broach the subject with Harry. "What's wrong, child?" he inquired softly.

Harry, his eyes tightly shut, shook his head in response, unable to articulate his feelings.

Realizing that a change of environment might help, Severus carefully scooped Harry up, blankets and all, and sat down in the chair, a place of comfort and safety in their home. He made sure Harry was snugly wrapped in the blankets before gently asking again, "What's wrong, Harry?"

Harry, fidgeting with the buttons on his pajama shirt, finally spoke, his voice laced with uncertainty. "Are...are you mad at me?"

Severus, with a gesture as tender as a feather's touch, brushed Harry's hair back from his forehead and smiled reassuringly. "Mad? No, Harry, I'm not. I'm deeply concerned about why you felt the need to flee, and I must admit, a bit hurt that you doubted my ability to protect you."

Harry quickly shook his head, tears welling in his eyes. "That's not it! I just don't want to lose you! I know you'd do anything to keep me safe, but I couldn't bear the thought of losing you like I did my parents. I can't...I just can't be alone anymore..."

As Harry broke down, burying his face in Severus's robes, Severus wrapped his arms around him, offering comfort through his embrace, understanding that words would be insufficient in this moment.

When Harry's sobs subsided, Severus gently lifted his face, wiping away the tears. "Harry, listen to me. You will never lose me, even if you tried. I will always be here for you, no matter what. Do you understand?"

Harry nodded slowly, his eyes still showing traces of fear. "But what if they hurt you by accident, while trying to get to me?"

Severus shook his head confidently. "They won't, Harry. I'll make sure of that. I'll kick Voldemort's butt myself if I have to."

Harry's mood lightened at Severus's words, a small giggle escaping him as he imagined his stern guardian kicking Voldemort's behind.

Despite the lighter moment, Severus knew they needed to address the gravity of Harry's actions. "Harry, I need you to promise me something," he said, his tone becoming serious.

Harry looked up, his expression mirroring Severus's solemnity. "What is it?"

"You must promise never to run away again, Harry. You scared me immensely. It's dangerous out there, with wild animals and Death Eaters who could harm you."

Harry, his face buried in Severus's shoulder, voiced his deepest fear. "Are...are you going to punish me?"

Severus sighed, hating the necessity of discipline but understanding its importance. "Yes, Harry. We have rules for a reason. What are the consequences when you put your own life at risk?"

Harry, acknowledging the inevitable, nodded solemnly. "I get a spanking."

"And why is that necessary, Harry?" Severus asked, wanting Harry to understand the reason behind the consequence.

"Because my life is important, and risking it needs a serious consequence," Harry replied, his voice muffled against Severus's shoulder.

Severus hand gently stroked Harry's hair in a soothing rhythm. A look of understanding painted his face as he softly spoke, "That's right, Harry. But let's set this aside for the moment. How about we start with some breakfast, and then we can revisit this conversation afterward?"

Harry, his eyes downcast, responded with a hint of anxiety in his voice. "Can't we just deal with this now? I don't think I can eat with it looming over me... I'll be too nervous."

Severus, looking at Harry with a mix of concern and empathy, continued to stroke his hair tenderly. "Are you sure, Harry? We could address this before your nap, allowing you to rest afterward. What do you think?"

Harry, lifting his eyes to meet Severus's, pleaded with a small shake of his head. "Please, can we just get it over with?"

Severus let out a resigned sigh, nodding in understanding. He remembered all too well the anxiety of anticipation from his own youth. "Alright, Harry. But, do you need to use the bathroom first?"

Harry, visibly nervous, nodded. Severus carefully disentangled him from the bedsheets, assisting him to his feet. "I'll be right here when you return. Don't forget to wash your hands."

Harry gave a small nod and padded softly to the bathroom. Severus watched him leave, then sighed deeply. He tidied up the bed, making it look pristine, and sat on the edge to await Harry's return.

Moments later, Harry reentered the room, his head hung low. Approaching Severus, he glanced up, saw the kindness in Severus's eyes, and quickly looked back down.

"Harry," Severus said softly, reaching out to draw him into a comforting embrace. "If I had lost you last night, I can't fathom what I would have done. You need to trust me with your fears, talk to me before acting impulsively. I don't enjoy this part of parenting, but you must understand the consequences of your actions."

Tears welled up in Harry's eyes as he stepped back from the hug. "I'm sorry, Daddy... I didn't think about how worried you'd be. I just didn't want anything to happen to you. I... I guess I hurt you anyway."

Severus gently wiped away Harry's tears. "It's okay, Harry. I know you didn't intend to hurt me. I'm just relieved you're safe now. That's all that matters."

Harry reached out for another hug, feeling a deep sense of guilt that he desperately wanted to alleviate. He knew that the impending spanking would somehow clear that guilt, an uncomfortable but necessary resolution.

After a few minutes, Severus gently pulled back, looking into Harry's eyes with a serious expression. "Are you ready to do this now, Harry?"

Harry, gazing at his feet, nodded. Severus, with a heavy heart, guided Harry to his side. Before proceeding, he looked deep into Harry's eyes and brushed back his hair once more, his own heart aching at the thought of the punishment.

"If you ever consider running away again, I want you to come to me or Don first, okay?" Severus implored.

Upon seeing Harry's nod, Severus knew it was time. He carefully positioned Harry over his lap, placing a reassuring hand on his back, rubbing soothing circles. Harry began to sob quietly, feeling the weight of the situation.

Severus positioned Harry carefully, ensuring his comfort. "Are you okay, Harry?" he asked gently.

As Severus noticed Harry's small nod of acknowledgment, he delicately placed one hand on Harry's lower back, providing a comforting steadiness. With his other hand, he gently rested it on Harry's expectant bottom. In a tender, yet firm manner, Severus delivered a few soft pats before raising his hand to administer the first disciplinary smack.

Harry drew in a sharp breath, the sting of the smack catching him off guard. It was not until the third smack that tears began to well up in his eyes, eventually overflowing as sobs. Severus, keen to conclude the punishment swiftly and reduce Harry's distress, administered twelve more swift, stinging smacks. He could feel Harry's body trembling with loud sobs, which only hastened his resolve to finish quickly.

As the ordeal came to an end, Severus returned his hand to Harry's bottom, now with a gentleness that contrasted the earlier discipline. With his other hand, he began to soothingly rub circles into Harry's back, whispering in a soft, calming voice, "It's alright Harry, shhhh, it's all over now."

The pair remained in this comforting embrace, Severus patiently waiting until Harry's crying subsided to mere whimpers. Carefully, he lifted the boy into his arms, ensuring that Harry's sore bottom was free from any further discomfort. Harry, seeking solace, wrapped his arms around Severus's neck, while Severus continued to rub his back and whisper consoling words into his ear.

"Everything is forgiven and forgotten now. Just promise me never to make me do that again," Severus spoke with a blend of firmness and tenderness.

Nuzzling into his Daddy's shoulder, Harry's sobs softened into hiccups, "M'sorry Daddy."

A smile of reassurance graced Severus's face as he gently wiped away Harry's tears with a conjured handkerchief. "It's alright Harry; everything is forgiven. How are you feeling?"

Harry, still embracing Severus, shrugged slightly, a hint of discomfort in his movement. "My bottom is sore."

"As it should be," Severus responded with a gentle smile. He then tenderly placed his hand over Harry's heart. "And how about in here?"

Harry leaned tiredly against his Daddy's shoulder. "I...I don't feel as guilty..."

Severus nodded thoughtfully, understanding Harry's complex feelings of guilt. He hugged Harry a little closer, knowing that Harry often felt guilty without reason. "Do you still feel a little guilty then?"

Harry nodded slightly. "I made you worry so much."

"Yes, you did, Harry, but that's over now. Parents worry about their children," Severus explained.

Harry looked down, still feeling a weight on his conscience. "Yeah, but I still feel guilty."

Severus sighed, pondering the depth of his child's conscience. He asked, "What would make you feel better, Harry?"

"Standing in the corner?" Harry suggested hesitantly.

A small smile appeared on Severus's lips. "How about a compromise? I'm not ready to let you go yet, but I don't want you to feel guilty. I'll stand in the corner with you in my arms. Does that sound alright?"

Harry, comforted by the idea, nodded against Severus's shoulder.

Severus then stood, casting a spell to ease the burden of carrying Harry. He adjusted Harry comfortably on his hip, allowing the boy to maintain his embrace.

"Are you comfortable, Harry?" Severus inquired, noticing Harry's slight wince as his hand supported the boy's bottom. He promptly adjusted his hand to a more comfortable position.

Harry nodded in response, feeling a bit better.

"Alright then, let's go do our corner time," Severus declared, walking towards a corner near the window.

As they faced the wall, Severus continued, "We'll think about what we both could have done differently and then share our thoughts. Alright?"

Harry nodded, facing the wall with a contemplative gaze. Severus tenderly kissed his forehead, murmuring, "You are such a wonderful child, Harry."

Moments later, Don entered the room, noticing the pair in the corner. He smiled and quietly took a seat by the bed, not wanting to interrupt their moment of reflection. Observing them, he saw Severus looking thoughtfully at his son, while Harry seemed on the verge of tears, comforted by Severus's gentle back rubs. Don decided to wait, respecting the significance of their silent, bonding moment.

Several minutes ticked by in a comfortable silence before Severus, with a gentle smile playing on his lips, turned to see Don sitting in the chair adjacent to the bed. His gaze softened as he looked down at Harry, whose face was hidden in his robes. In a tender, hushed voice, Severus whispered, "Harry, look who's here," coaxing the boy to face their guest.

Harry, with a small, tear-stained smile, turned his head towards Don, acknowledging him through glistening eyes.

Severus, in a fatherly gesture, moved closer, sitting on the bed. He tenderly adjusted Harry, situating him into a comforting embrace on his lap. His eyes then met Don's with a meaningful look. "We've been reflecting on last night," Severus began, his voice filled with concern. "Thinking about what we each could have done better. Harry, would you like to start, or shall I?"

Harry responded with a noncommittal shrug, so Severus took the lead. "Alright, I'll begin then," he said, his voice laced with regret. "I should have checked on you before bed, reassured you of my unwavering support. I apologize for not doing that."

Harry, shaking his head in a mix of denial and self-reproach, replied softly, "It's not your fault, Severus...how could you have known? I should've spoken up, should've sought your guidance. Instead, I let my Gryffindor impulsiveness take over, acting rashly rather than seeking your counsel."

Severus wrapped his arms more tightly around Harry, a protective gesture. "Next time, will you promise to come to me first?" he asked, his voice a blend of hope and concern.

Harry, pressing closer to Severus's shoulder, nodded. "I'll try."

"And how are you feeling now, Harry? Still guilty?" Severus inquired, concern etched in his tone.

Harry shook his head, a light sound emerging from his stomach. "Not guilty, but... a bit hungry," he admitted with a sheepish grin.

At this, Severus and Don exchanged a knowing smile. Severus gently eased Harry away from his chest, ensuring eye contact. "How about you get ready for the day, and Don and I will wait for you downstairs?"

Harry nodded, his grip on Severus lingering for a moment, drawing a warm smile from the man. "Harry, you'll need to let go if you're to shower," Severus teased gently.

Embarrassed, Harry released his hold. "Sorry."

Severus's hand reached out, tenderly caressing Harry's cheek. "No more apologies, alright? Everything's fine now," he reassured.

With a small nod, Harry began to rise, gathering clothes for the day. Severus watched with a father's pride, then, ensuring Harry's privacy, closed the door as he and Don exited.

In the kitchen, Don took a seat, watching with amusement as Severus instructed Maya to prepare Harry's favorite breakfast. Once she disappeared to commence the cooking, Don placed a supportive hand on Severus's shoulder.

"Why were you standing in the corner with Harry?" Don inquired, curiosity lacing his tone.

Severus, his cheeks tinged with a blush, confessed, "He felt guilty after his spanking. I didn't want to be overly harsh, and I needed to offer him some comfort. I wasn't ready to let him be alone yet."

Don smiled warmly, squeezing Severus's hand in reassurance. "You're a good father, Severus. Never doubt that."

A weary yet heartfelt smile emerged on Severus's face. "I never imagined 'father' and 'Severus' would be words used together. And I certainly never thought I'd love anyone as much as I love Harry."

Don's smile was one of genuine affection as he watched Harry hesitantly linger in the doorway, his young feet shuffling on the wooden floor, betraying his nervousness. It was evident to Don that Harry had overheard Severus's recent heartfelt confession.

"Come in, Harry," Don said, his voice warm and inviting, echoing slightly in the quiet of the kitchen. "Maya is just putting the finishing touches on a splendid breakfast."

As Severus turned to see Harry, a blush of fatherly embarrassment tinted his cheeks. However, his eyes softened with affection as the boy approached. In a fluid, paternal gesture, Severus reached out, lifting Harry into his arms and setting him down gently on his lap. "So, you overheard us, huh? You've transformed the notorious 'bat of the dungeon' into something as cuddly as a teddy bear," Severus joked, a twinkle of mirth in his eyes, "and I have absolutely no regrets about that."

Harry, finding comfort in Severus's embrace, smiled up at him, his eyes reflecting the warmth he felt. "Really? You're not just saying that?"

"Completely and utterly sure," Severus affirmed, his voice deep and resonant with sincerity. "Now, it's time for you to take your seat. I've enchanted it with a cushioning charm for your comfort."

Harry, with a grateful look in his eyes, moved towards his designated chair. As he cautiously sat down, a slight wince crossed his face, quickly replaced by relief as the charm cushioned his tender discomfort.

In that moment, Maya entered, her arms laden with plates heaped with delicious, steaming breakfast. Setting the plates down with a clatter, she turned to Harry, her hands firmly on her hips, exuding a mix of sternness and care. "Maya understands that Daddy has already spoken to you," she said, her tone serious yet tinged with worry. "But please, young master Harry, no more running away. It scared Maya terribly. Rest assured, I'll be keeping a much closer eye on you from now on. No sneaking off without my knowing!"

With a swift pop, Maya vanished, leaving Harry wide-eyed and a bit taken aback. Severus observed Harry's reaction with a soft chuckle and a shake of his head, amused by the boy's astonishment.

"Harry," Severus began gently, drawing the boy's attention back to him. "I should have mentioned Maya would want to talk to you. She's become incredibly fond of you and was deeply upset by your disappearance. Don't worry, though; she'll come around soon, perhaps even treating you to your favorite ice cream later. It's a bit of a tradition with her, as I experienced firsthand when I ran away."

Harry's eyes widened with curiosity. "You ran away?"

A nostalgic smile crossed Severus's face. "Yes, I did, when I was around your age. After a heated argument with Albus, I took off. Maya gave me a similar lecture upon my return, and Albus's reprimand was not unlike what you experienced."

"You were spanked!" Harry blurted out, a mixture of shock and empathy lacing his voice.

A rosy blush spread across Severus's cheeks. "Indeed, I was. But let's keep that between us, shall we? And I'll extend the same courtesy to you."

Harry, his own cheeks flushing, nodded in agreement, understanding the importance of their shared secrecy.

Turning his attention back to his plate, Harry eagerly dove into his breakfast, devouring the blueberry pancakes with an appetite fueled by the morning's events. Don, observing this, felt a mix of relief and amusement, hoping the peaceful atmosphere would continue throughout the day. Severus, catching Don's gaze, gave a subtle nod, indicating it was time to discuss the day's upcoming events.

"Harry, later this afternoon, Draco will be stopping by," Severus informed him calmly. "Arthur thought it might be beneficial for both of you to have a chat. Is that okay with you?"

Harry's eyes lit up with a spark of excitement. "Can I show him my room and around the house?"

Severus's smile was one of approval. "Certainly, but remember the house rules: closed doors stay closed, and the books on the top shelves in the library are off-limits."

Harry, having finished his breakfast, rose from his chair and pushed it neatly under the table. "I'll go and get my room ready," he said, a hint of eagerness in his voice.

Before leaving, Harry paused and turned back to Severus, wrapping him in a tight, spontaneous embrace. "I love you, Daddy."

Severus hugged him back, his voice warm and affectionate. "I love you too, Harry."

Harry lingered a moment longer in the embrace, sighing contentedly as he found additional comfort in his father's arms. Severus responded with a gentle hug and a soft kiss on the top of Harry's head.

"Go on, Harry, get your room ready," Severus encouraged gently. "If you need anything, just call."

Harry stepped back, offering Don a shy smile before exiting the room. Severus, turning to Don, who was still smiling, rolled his eyes in a playful, affectionate manner.

"What's on your mind, Don?" Severus inquired.

Don's expression softened further. "I'm just constantly amazed at the depth of the bond between you and Harry. His love for you is so profound, he'd risk everything for you. That's what was driving him when he acted."

Severus shook his head, a shadow of worry crossing his face. "I just wish Harry didn't constantly find himself in danger," he murmured, his voice laced with a mix of frustration and concern.

Don, empathizing with the depth of Severus's paternal anxiety, offered a comforting smile. He reached out, placing a supportive hand on Severus's shoulder. "That's a common wish for parents, Severus. You're not alone in that."

Severus let out a heavy sigh, a sign of the burden he felt. He stood up from the table, gathering his dishes with a sense of purpose. Determined to give Maya a well-deserved break, he carried them to the sink, his movements reflecting a need to keep busy, to do something with his hands.

Noticing Severus's intent, Don also stood up, his own dishes in hand, and followed Severus to the sink. "I understand you had to discipline Harry this morning," Don began, his tone gentle, "and while I see he's alright, how are you holding up? It's not easy for a parent to discipline their child."

Severus paused momentarily, his hands submerged in the sudsy water. He then continued washing the dishes, giving a small nod in acknowledgment. "I'm alright, Don," he said, his voice betraying a hint of heaviness. "It's never easy, but it's part of being a parent."

Don, sensing the complexity of Severus's emotions, reached around and placed a reassuring hand on his back. "If you ever need to talk, Severus, I'm here. It's important to process these feelings."

He had initially planned to probe deeper, but seeing Severus's focus on the task at hand, Don decided to hold off. He understood that today was about Harry, and Severus needed to concentrate on his son. The discussion about his own feelings could wait until a more appropriate time.

Meanwhile, upstairs in Harry's room, the boy was greeted by a visibly upset Arwen. The kitten, with a mix of concern and irritation, lunged at Harry, nipping at his shin.

"Hey, Arwen! What's that for?" Harry exclaimed, looking down at the small feline in surprise.

"You ran away last night! Do you have any idea how reckless that was?" Arwen scolded, her voice a blend of worry and annoyance.

Feeling guilty, Harry knelt down, his expression apologetic. "I'm sorry, Arwen. I didn't mean to worry you or anyone else."

"You should be sorry!" Arwen continued, her tone softening but still stern. "Your Daddy was frantic, searching everywhere for you. It was chaos and worry all because of your thoughtlessness."

Harry gently scooped up the kitten and carried her to his bed, sitting down with her in his lap. "I won't do it again, Arwen. I promise," he assured her, his voice filled with remorse.

The kitten made herself comfortable in Harry's lap, her feline gaze stern. "I hope you're being honest. If not, you'll have bigger problems than just a tiny nip. I'll track you down as if you were a mouse and haul you back by your toes with my teeth. Got it?"

Harry, stroking Arwen under her chin, her favorite spot, whispered more apologies. Arwen, unable to resist the soothing touch, let out a sleepy purr and closed her eyes, though she was mildly annoyed at being so easily pacified.

Harry smiled tenderly as he watched his kitten drift into sleep. He knew he deserved the scolding, having already been reprimanded by his Daddy, Maya, and likely Don would do the same. He craved a brief respite from the morning's chaos.

Carefully, Harry lifted Arwen and placed her in her luxurious teal faux-fur cat bed, complete with dangling toys and a snug blanket. He chuckled softly, reminiscing about the day they picked it out together, with Arwen meticulously testing every bed in the pet store before settling on the most extravagant one.

Shaking off the memory, Harry stood up and surveyed his room. He started by tackling the pile of dirty clothes in the corner, methodically picking them up and placing them in the hamper. Next, he moved to his dresser, organizing the cluttered items from his frenzied search the previous night.

Don, quietly observing from the doorway, stepped into the room and gently placed a hand on Harry's shoulder. "Need some help with this, Harry?"

Harry glanced up at Don, a hint of appreciation in his eyes, but shook his head. "No, I've got it, but thanks."

"Alright, I'll just sit here on your bed," Don said, making himself comfortable. "Call me if you need anything, okay?"

Harry nodded and turned his attention back to tidying up. In a few minutes, he had restored order to his dresser and joined Don on the bed.

"How are you feeling now, Harry?" Don asked, concern evident in his tone.

Harry shrugged, his face betraying a trace of discomfort. "My bottom is still a bit sore," he admitted.

"And emotionally? Are you feeling sad?" Don probed, his gaze kind yet inquisitive.

Harry shook his head, his expression reflecting a mix of emotions. "I'm not sad, but... I'm a bit nervous about seeing Draco again." He looked up at Don with earnest curiosity. "How's Draco doing? Is Ron still causing trouble?"

Don maintained his smile, a look of genuine care in his eyes. "Adjusting to a new family can be challenging, but I believe Draco is adapting well. You'll have plenty of time to talk when you see him later. Alright?"

Harry, his brow furrowed in thought, nodded slowly. "Okay, but if Ron keeps being difficult, I might write to Hermione. She usually knows how to handle him."

Chuckling softly, Don affectionately ruffled Harry's hair. Harry truly was an amazing boy, being able to put aside such a rivalry in such a short amount of time. "That's a very mature approach, Harry. And perhaps you can offer the same support to Draco later. Now, why don't we head to the playroom? You can continue with your painting for your Daddy's birthday."

At the mention of the painting, Harry's face brightened with enthusiasm. He leaped to his feet and hurried towards the playroom, his earlier worries momentarily forgotten. Don had introduced Harry to art therapy, and it had proved to be an excellent outlet for him. Severus had first suggested it, having noticed Harry's natural talent and love for art. The therapy had not only nurtured Harry's creative skills but also provided him with a means to express his emotions.

Upon entering the playroom, Harry immediately went to retrieve his painting supplies from their secret hiding place. Don followed, ready to assist him in setting up the canvas on the easel. He then settled down to watch Harry work, appreciating the boy's attention to detail and the evident passion in every brush stroke.

Harry was working on a special oil painting for Severus's birthday, inspired by a cherished photo of Lily and Severus sitting beneath a tree during their Hogwarts days. Don had gone the extra mile, procuring magical oil paints that would bring the figures in the painting to life, adding a touch of enchantment to the already sentimental gift. He knew Severus would cherish it.

After an hour of focused painting, Harry began to pack away his art supplies, his stomach reminding him that it was nearing lunchtime. He carefully concealed his painting materials in their hiding spot, ensuring they remained undisturbed until his next session.

"Feeling hungry, Harry?" Don asked as Harry finished tidying up.

Harry turned, and in a moment of spontaneity, embraced Don tightly. "I really am sorry about last night," he murmured, his voice muffled against Don's chest.

Don wrapped his arms around the boy, offering a comforting embrace. "I know, Harry, and we're all just relieved that you're safe."

Harry pressed his face deeper into Don's robes, clearly still grappling with lingering thoughts. Sensing the need for a more in-depth conversation, Don gently guided Harry towards the couch. He knew that while art therapy had provided a temporary respite, it was important to address any underlying concerns Harry might have. The boy's posture, tense and guarded, suggested there were unspoken fears and uncertainties that needed to be brought to light.

Sitting beside Harry on the couch, Don maintained a close, reassuring presence. "What's on your mind, Harry?" he asked, his tone gentle yet probing.

Harry's voice was barely audible as he clung to Don's robes. "Will Daddy forgive me for last night?"

Don carefully coaxed Harry away from his chest, ensuring they were face to face. It was important for Harry to see the sincerity in his eyes. "Harry, your Daddy has already forgiven you. He loves you more than you can imagine. I think he was more afraid of losing you than being angry with you."

Tears began to well in Harry's eyes, and he quickly sought solace in Don's embrace once again. Don held him close, offering a safe space for Harry to express his emotions. It was crucial for the boy to feel understood and supported, especially in moments of vulnerability.

"It's okay, Harry," Don whispered soothingly. "You can calm down. Everything is alright."

Gradually, Harry's tears subsided, and after a few minutes, he began to calm down. Don gently pulled back to wipe away his tears with a handkerchief he had conjured.

"Now, tell me, Harry, what did your Daddy say after he spanked you?" Don's voice was soft, encouraging Harry to open up.

Harry's cheeks were tinged with a faint blush. "He said it was all over, and that he forgave me."

"Do you believe him?"

Harry shrugged, his expression a mixture of uncertainty and fear. "I'm not sure. Adults can change their minds. What if he's still mad, or I make him mad again? Could he... could he throw me out?"

Don resumed his soothing gesture, running his fingers through Harry's hair. "Harry, has your Daddy ever broken a promise to you?"

Harry shook his head, his voice a whisper. "No..."

"Then trust in his word. He loves you, Harry. He would never throw you out."

Harry looked up at Don, his eyes reflecting a tangle of emotions. Don's hand paused, and he leaned in to place a gentle kiss on the boy's forehead.

"It's normal to feel uncertain, Harry. Just remember, we're here for you, always."

Harry's expression softened slightly, though the internal conflict was still apparent. His logical mind understood one thing, but his heart, scarred by past hurts, was hesitant to fully embrace that security.

Don continued his comforting gesture, speaking softly. "I know there's a lot going on in your mind, Harry, and it's okay to feel conflicted. Healing takes time, and we're here to support you through it. Eventually, your heart will catch up with what your mind already knows."

Harry leaned into Don, accepting the comfort and reassurance. In that moment of vulnerability, Severus knocked gently on the open door, seeking permission to enter. Don nodded, and Severus approached, taking a seat on the other side of Harry. He placed a reassuring hand on the boy's back, offering his own comfort.

"Hi, Harry," Severus greeted softly.

Harry, hearing his Daddy's voice, quickly moved into Severus's embrace. Severus, prepared for the sudden movement, wrapped his arms around Harry, looking down at the boy's tousled hair with a mixture of concern and love.

"Hey now, everything's alright, Harry," Severus comforted, his voice gentle and reassuring.

Severus glanced at Don, his expression filled with concern. Don subtly shook his head, indicating that they would discuss Harry's deeper fears later, away from the boy's ears. It was important to respect Harry's dignity and not discuss his issues as if he weren't present.

Harry looked up at Severus, managing a small, tentative smile. "I'm sorry."

Severus gently reminded him. "Harry, remember what I told you about apologizing? There's no need for that."

Harry nodded, a hint of relief in his expression. Severus, sensing the need to shift the atmosphere to something lighter, made a suggestion. "How about we go have some lunch? That sound good?"

Harry nodded, and Severus helped him to his feet, placing a comforting arm around his shoulder.

"And afterwards, when Draco comes over, we can build snowmen in the front yard. I'll try not to throw too many snowballs," Severus added with a hint of playfulness.

Harry's mood visibly lifted. "Two against one, we'll win!"

Severus playfully ruffled Harry's hair, his smile mischievous. "But I have magic on my side!"

"That's not fair!" Harry protested, though his smile was bright.

Severus gave Harry a sideways hug, his tone light and teasing. "Life isn't always fair, but that's part of the fun, isn't it?"

Together, they made their way downstairs for lunch, the mood significantly lighter, with the promise of an enjoyable afternoon ahead. As they walked, Severus continued to chat with Harry, discussing lighthearted topics to further ease the boy's mood. Harry's laughter began to fill the space, a sound that Severus cherished deeply.

In the bustling kitchen, Maya stood resolutely, hands on hips, her gaze meticulously surveying the lunch that Master Severus had prepared with such extravagance. There was a mix of wonder and mild exasperation in her eyes, a silent acknowledgment of Severus's unique way of channeling his anxieties.

"Master does indeed spoil that child," Maya whispered to herself, a light chuckle escaping her despite the sternness she tried to project.

With a heavy, contemplative sigh, Maya set about the task of packing away the assortment of baked goods Severus had so lovingly prepared. The cookies were delicately flavored, the brownies rich and fudgy, and the chocolate cake – a masterpiece meant for tonight – was frosted to perfection. As she meticulously wrapped each treat, ensuring they were preserved with care, she felt a sense of pride and affection for the family she served.

Just as the last brownie was tucked away, Maya turned to find Severus standing in the doorway, his arm wrapped protectively around his son's shoulder. The sight was heartwarming, and for a moment, Maya's stern facade softened.

"Please, take a seat. Maya will serve," she offered with a blend of warmth and formality.

Severus responded with a small, appreciative nod, his eyes conveying a silent thanks. "Thank you, Maya, for taking care of my mess," he said, his voice tinged with gratitude and a hint of sheepishness.

"Yes, yes, as always, you're welcome, Master Severus. Now, please sit at the table," Maya replied, her tone light yet commanding, a reflection of her dedication and the respect she held for Severus.

As Severus gently patted Harry's shoulder, there was a fatherly affection in his touch. He had seen Maya in this mode of quiet efficiency only a few times, and it signaled to him that something was weighing on her mind. He wanted to ensure Harry remained untroubled by any undercurrents of concern.

"Harry, why don't you wait in the living room for a moment?" Severus suggested, his voice calm yet filled with an unspoken understanding.

Harry, sensing the seriousness of the moment, looked up at Severus with eyes wide and questioning.

"It's alright, Harry; I'll come get you soon," Severus reassured him, his tone gentle yet firm.

Harry nodded, a mix of obedience and curiosity in his young eyes, as he walked out of the kitchen with Don trailing behind him. Severus knew this brief moment of privacy was necessary for Maya. As the boys left, he approached Maya, his touch on her shoulder gentle and filled with concern.

"What is it, Maya?" Severus asked, his voice low and soothing, echoing the concern that was etched in his features.

Maya, her eyes downcast, let out a small, burdened sigh. "Maya had a doctor's appointment after breakfast today. On my way back, I overheard whispers about He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, that he's back and targeting young Master Harry. Master Severus, are these rumors true?"

Severus's nod was small but full of gravity. "Yes, it's true, Maya. But please, don't worry. Albus and I are doing everything within our power to keep Harry safe."

"Is Maya to believe this, Master Severus?" her voice quivered slightly, revealing her deep-seated concern.

"Without a doubt, Maya. However, there is a way you can help. We need to create a safe room, magically connected to Harry's closet, one that only the five of us can access. I could do it myself, but elf magic is more secure, unbreakable by anyone but another elf," Severus explained, his voice carrying a blend of urgency and trust.

Maya's expression shifted from worry to resolve. "A safe room... Yes, Master Severus. Maya understands and will start right away," she affirmed, her voice now imbued with a newfound sense of purpose.

With a quiet pop, Maya vanished to begin her task, leaving Severus alone in the kitchen. He sighed, realizing that he should have involved her earlier; it might have eased her concerns about Harry's safety.

Shaking off his thoughts, Severus made his way to the living room. Harry, seated beside Don, looked up with an expression of youthful concern.

"Is Maya okay?" Harry asked, his voice small but laden with worry.

Severus offered a reassuring smile. "She's fine, Harry. In fact, she's busy preparing a surprise for your room."

A gleam of curiosity sparked in Harry's eyes. "Really?"

"Yes, really. Now, let's go have some lunch," Severus said, extending his hand to Harry, guiding him gently back to the kitchen, with Don following close behind.

Back in the kitchen, Severus had Harry and Don take their seats at the table. He then served the meal he had prepared earlier – a delicious salad and a comforting pasta dish. He laid out the plates and silverware with care, each movement precise and thoughtful.

"Here you go, Harry, Don," he said, finally taking his own seat. Don began to dish up their plates, and they all started to enjoy the meal together.

After the meal, Severus cleared the dishes with a simple wave of his hand and extended another to help Harry up from his chair.

"Come on, Harry. It's time for your nap," he said, noticing the subtle yawns Harry tried to conceal.

"What about Draco? Isn't he coming?" Harry asked, his voice tinged with a hint of eagerness.

Severus smiled, a gentle reassurance in his expression. "He is, Harry, but not until after your nap."

"Okay," Harry replied, his voice sleepy but content.

Severus then guided Harry up the stairs to his room. He advised Harry to change into his pajamas and waited patiently outside. Severus's own room beckoned him, and he sat heavily on the bed, elbows resting on his knees, face in his hands. The day had been long, and with Draco's visit still ahead, it promised to be even longer.

Shortly, Harry's small hand on his shoulder brought Severus out of his thoughts. He looked up, his expression softening as he lifted Harry onto his lap.

"Sorry, Harry. I was just lost in thought," he apologized.

Harry leaned against him, his voice laced with youthful concern. "Are you okay, Daddy?"

"Yes, child, I'm fine. I was just thinking. Now, let's get you to bed," Severus reassured him, lifting Harry into his arms and carrying him across the hall to his room.

Once in Harry's room, Severus tucked him into bed, sitting down at the bedside with a warm and comforting smile.

"I'll wake you in an hour, as usual, okay?" he promised.

Harry nodded, allowing Severus to remove his glasses. "I love you, Daddy."

Severus smiled warmly. "I love you too, Harry. Now, sleep well."

Harry's voice, small and vulnerable, stopped Severus as he stood to leave. "Can you stay until I fall asleep?"

Severus returned to the bedside, taking Harry's hand in his. "Of course, Harry. Would you like me to guide you through your breathing exercises to help you sleep?"

Harry nodded, his eyes already drifting closed. Severus gently placed his hand on Harry's chest, guiding him through the breathing exercises.

Soon, Harry was fast asleep, his hand still holding onto Severus's. Carefully, Severus released his grip, but to compensate for the loss, he called Arwen over. The cat jumped up, curling in Harry's arms. Severus watched them for a moment, a soft smile on his face, before quietly exiting the room.
To be continued...