Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

Happy Birthday Everyone!

Here is my gift for you all!

-TTC

Chapter 14 - Tribulations

Harry's heart hit the floor as he and his fellow fifth-year Gryffindors turned around the corner to the potions classroom. His father was standing with the Slytherins waiting patiently. And next to the austere potions master was Delores Umbridge, clipboard in hand with a judgemental gaze.

"Tut tut," she declared loudly. "You mustn't keep your fellow classmates waiting like this. It's a waste of their valuable time." Next to him, Harry could hear Hermione grinding her teeth in frustration.

"We only left charms ten minutes ago," Seamus piped up, looking put out. "Ya can't cross the West campus in less than that."

"Class isn't supposed to start till the bell anyway," Pavarti added with a frown.

"Enter.".Severus declared, giving the class a very clear 'heads down, eyes forward, mouths. Shut.' kind of look. The Gryffindors didn't need more prompting and shuffled in behind the Slytherins. Meanwhile, Umbridge was making a note on her board already which made Harry very queasy.

"Today we will be doing a test on the concepts covered in the previous unit." Severus declared which made a small disturbance run through the class. They were supposed to be doing the second stage of their practical from last week. That's what he had said in the previous class. Everyone knew things had changed because of Umbridge. "There will be twenty minutes of review. Use that time wisely." Severus's gaze landed on a few people in the class. The ones that tended to spend their review time whispering in the back of the classroom or doodling. Somehow Harry didn't think anyone would be doing that with Umbridge hovering. Everyone was scribbling away on their note sheet, copying formulas and interaction charts at a fervid pace all while Umbridge hovered on the edge of their vision.

"Hem hem," she suddenly coughed. 

"Delores, the students review best when there is silence." Severus all but snapped.

"I'll only take a moment of your time," the woman insisted. "I just wanted to ask a few questions. The students can surely focus through that." Severus grunted before he waved his hand in assent.

"When did you start working here?"

"1982 was my first year of teaching," Severus responded flatly. 

"Your received you potions mastery-"

"April, 1979." He responded with a note of pride. "I was 19. It broke records. Youngest potions master in the world."

"Indeed..." Umbridge said in a slightly clipped tone, while an eye twitched. Something about his father's success irked the vile woman, which drew a self-satisfied smirk onto his face. Maybe it was because his father had actually accomplished something outside of being a judgemental old b-

"It says here you applied for defence first- is that correct?"

"Yes," Severus responded, a sum less proud.

"I see that you also reapplied for the position. nearly every year?"

"Yes." Severus drawled, daring the woman to get to her point.

"Unsuccessfully?" She finished with her sugary voice. A Vien in Severus' forehead was throbbing. 

"Ob-vious-ly." he bit out with a touch more rage than before. All of Harry's previous mirth had evaporated alongside his father. He was no glaring holes into the back of the woman's head, so strongly that several Slytherins had taken notice and were consciously inching ever so slightly away from him, so as to be out of the blast radius. Umbridge seemed satisfied in her breaking down of his ego and readjusted herself. 

"Just one more question: when are you planning on getting married? You are engaged to Professor Vance correct?"

"I fail to see how that has anything to do with my current position." Severus snarled coldly. Umbridge chuckled as if he was a fool for not. 

"Well, it's simply that I want to know when I should be planning for professor... I suppose she'll be taking your name?" Umbridge added. Severus grunted.

"That is entirely her prerogative." He responded.

"I see..." she murmured still smirking. "Well regardless, maternity leave will need to be discussed."

A crack resonated around the classroom before Hermione yelped.

"Professors!" She cried. Then Harry stood, clasping his bloody left hand in his right.

"May I be excused?" He asked shakily.

"What happened?" Severus demanded worriedly.

"There was a crack in my quill," Harry explained flatly. Severus looked at him before he huffed and waved his hand to make the door open.

"Be sure you come back tonight to make up your test."

"Yes sir." Harry agreed before rushing out. Umbridge watched him go with pursed lips and judgmental eyes. When she turned back she jumped. Severus was looking over her, looking murderous. Then he leaned into her face and sneered.

"Not." He began coldly "That is is any of your business but, for reasons that you do not need to know, there will be no more children in Emmeline and I's future. Do I make myself crystal clear?" He finished coldly. Umbridge lingered a moment. She seemed to be debating asking more questions. But then she looked at his face again and shifted every so slightly away. She nodded. "Excellent." Severus drawled coldly. "Now...Get. Out." He said gesturing to the door. The woman pursed her lips and opened her mouth, then thought better of it and turned around. But once she was out of the classroom Severus waved his hand and slammed the door shut in her face, then locked it. The class was completely silent as the professor stood in the centre pinching the bridge of his nose. A slight rustle caught his ear. "Put. that bloody hand. down. Miss. Granger. The bushy-haired girl blushed and let the hand fall. No one dared snicker. 


Harry was taking his time up to the hospital wing, trying very hard to calm down. He just felt so utterly furious. And the throbbing of his hand seemed to be echoing the throbbing rage of his heart. And no matter how many times he took a deep breath or stopped to rest his forehead against the wall to cool it, it wasn't enough. He wanted to scream and kick and curse that foul toad. Rip her guts out and stomp on them. Chop her up into bits and make her into a potion. He was pretty sure his father had a book on dark potions that required human remains at home. He could probably make it there and back with no one the wiser! He groaned and squeezed his eyes shut. No! That wasn't like him. He didn't go around plotting how to eviscerate people. As he turned the corner toward the hospital wing he stopped.

"-necessary." He could hear Umbridge saying for a few classrooms down the hall. "In fact! As high inquisitor, I hereby declare this class dismissed."

"We still have an hour of lecture to get through," Emmeline said with a cold matter-of-fact voice. Umbridge giggled in a way that made Harry's veins turn to ice.

"As I said, Miss Vance. That won't be necessary." Emmeline stared down at this woman before her expression slowly melted away into a sad expression of bitter acceptance.

"Class dismissed." She said in a sad tone that made all of her students hesitate. Then one of the ravenclaws in the back slowly stood up, looking uncertain, but then more students joined in. "Penelope," Emmeline began tiredly. The Ravenclaw head girl turned to the professor with a worried expression. "Please close the door behind you."

"Yes, professor." She agreed before she did as requested.

"Bloody hell..." Angelina Johnson muttered in horror to her fellow classmates.

"You don't think she's getting fired do you?" Daphne Greengrass asked worriedly.

"She's been bad-mouthing Umbridge all year." Another Slytherin argued with a worried frown.

"Yeah, but I thought she was really discreet about it!" Angelina argued. The Slytherin snorted.

"Well, it couldn't have been if you Gryffindor could pick up on it."

"Hey!" Angelina snarled with a glare.

"Harry?" Penelope suddenly piped up, startling the soon-to-be-fighting fellow seventh years. Angelina looked over and instantly grew worried. Harry was standing behind the small cluster, shaking like a leaf and breathing hard and fast. His hand, which he had released in his shock, was now dripping blood onto the floor.

"Harry?" Angelina called with a sad expression. When the boy didn't respond she grew even more worried. "Harry?" She called again. Then she reached out a hand and shook his shoulder. "Harry!" That finally jolted the boy out of his panic. "Harry, are you okay?" He looked at his ex-teammate with a sickly expression before he suddenly turned and bolted, racing down the stairs so fast he nearly slipped several times. "HARRY!" Angelina called after him in fear before she raced after him, followed shortly by her fellow seventh-year history students. But when they crossed the fifth-floor corridor they ran into a class of sixth years who looked pale and nervous.

"What happened?" Daphne demanded one of the Slytherins.

"Filch just dragged Trelawney out of the north tower!" They declared with an anguish expression. "He was waving around this paper saying Umbridge had the authority to remove anyone she wished.

"Oh no..." Penelope said with a sad expression. She turned to her fellow seventh years. "Just how many professors is she going to remove?"

"One thing at a time!" Angelina insisted before turning on the sixth year again. "Where was he taking her?" 

"Down to the entrance courtyard probably..."

"Umbridge will probably take Professor Vance there too..."

"Professor Vance?!" One of the sixth years cried in horror.

"Listen up!" Angelina barked. "Each of you go grab your head of house! Corner!" I'll go get Professor Dumbledore! He's the only one who can put a stop to this!" The. She turned and began running back up the stairs. There was a moment of silence before Daphne huffed.

"You heard the captain! Let's move!"  All the students scattered, heading for their respective heads classrooms and offices. 


Emmeline watched with cold unfeeling eyes as Argus dropped her suitcase, rather unceremoniously, onto the cobblestone courtyard. Across from the space Delores was watching with a cold expression. Beside her, Sybil was wringing her hands, looking very distressed and uncertain. 

"Y-you can't do this!" The woman suddenly sobbed, turning for her bags to the pink-clad woman with fear and anguish.

"Oh, indeed a can!" Umbridge declared gleefully. "You see, you two are no longer an asset to this institution. Your curriculums are not ministry approved, and, in fact, you have been teaching things which go against the values and principles which This institution is designed to uphold and nurture." Emmeline swallowed bile.

"So," she spoke up, conscious of the large crowd of students slowly gathering around the courtyard. "I am being fired because I have taught my student the truth?"

"Truth?!" Umbridge cried before she threw her head back in laughter. "My dear you are completely delusional if you think the rubbish you've been teaching is the truth! You said that the goblin had every right to attack us without provocation and that the giants were defending themselves even though they attacked first!"

"There was plenty of provocation," Emmeline snarled coldly. "And the English dishonoured an Irish druidic treaty with the giants when we colonized. They were defending their rights as stated."

"You truly are just utterly uneducated." Umbridge declared with a look of pity. 

"Funny," Emmeline said, a smile forming. "Because from where I'm standing it is you who seems the least educated of us all. And there are children in our audience. Not that I think any child is uneducated, though I suppose you would disagree. Which is why you are such a terrible teacher." Umbridge's eye twitched as she took a deep breath.

"What is the meaning of this?!" Minerva suddenly bellowed as she made her way through the crowd of students. "Sybil!" She cried when she saw the distraught woman. The divination professor sobbed as Minerva rushed forward to comfort her. The deputy then turned to give Umbridge a cold look. 

"Is there something you'd like to say, Minerva?" Umbridge demanded.

"Several things," Minerva snarled. "Nothing in this present company."

"Emmeline!" Severus cried rushing forward.

"Severus," Emmeline said, reaching to grab her fiance's arms.

"Are you alright?" She whispered to her worriedly.

"Perfect fine," Emmeline assured him. 

"Out of the way!" The booming voice of Angelina Johnson suddenly cut through the crowd, wheezy and out of breath. The students parted as the doors to the entrance hall opened, revealing the headmaster.

"Thank you, Miss. Johnson. It was good of you to fetch me." Albus declared to the tall teen with a bow of his head. The girl nodded breathlessly. He strode out onto the courtyard alongside Pomona and Filius. Then he cleared his throat.

"Minerva, please escort Sybil and her things back up to the north tower," he declared firmly. Sybil's eyes lit up with relief and she rushed forward to grab his hands.

"Oh thank you, Albus! Thank you!" The elderly man patted her hands with a gentle smile.

"Severus, bring Emmeline and her things back to your quarters."

"Dumbledore!" Umbridge cried with a furious expression. "Education's decree 11 is clear! As high inquisitor, I have the power to dismiss any staff I deem unfit!"

"You have the right to dismiss them," Albus agreed "but you do not have the right to expel them from the grounds, their home. That right still rests exclusively with the headmaster."  Umbridge slowly smiled, Toad-like as ever.

"For now," she purred before she walked past the professor and back into the castle. The students all have her looks ranging from fear to disgust, to anger, to pure contempt. None more so than a first-year Hufflepuff and fifth-year Gryffindor who were fighting through the crowd to reach the door


The trudge up to their quarters was sullen and quiet. Severus could pick up on Emmeline's rage easily. As soon as they were back Emmeline stood in the entryway with a sour expression. 

"I'll put on the kettle." Severus declared.

"What for?" Emmeline demanded sourly.

"For cocoa."

"Oh so now you care about my emotional wellbeing." Emmeline spat. Severus froze and then turned with a frown.

"What are you talking about?" He asked

"What did you say to Umbridge about my... condition?" She asked in turn.

"Nothing!" Severus cried in horror. "I would never-"

"Then why was she making comments!" Emmeline demanded coldly. "Talking about how 'it's perfectly natural'! Or that 'teaching is no substitute for real motherhood'!"

"I don't know how she found out! All she-" he paused and groaned. "Oh..."

"So you did say something!" Emmeline growled.

"She asked about maternity leave... I was trying to dissuade her..." Severus admitted. Emmeline smacked him on the arm furiously.

"You blithering ignoramus! You knew that wouldn't work!"

"She was berating me as well!" Severus argued back, looking furious. "It's not my fault she's the scum of the earth!"

"Well, maybe you should think before you speak!" Emmeline snarled.

"You know perfectly well that I always do!" He growled back. "Her cruelty is not my fault!" He took a deep breath. "I understand you're upset, but you have no right to take it out on me."

"Oh, don't you dare go on acting as though you're better than me!" Emmeline shrieked. "Your temper is worse than mine! I can't count how many times you've taken your anger out on me!"

"I am not discussing this with you while you're this upset." Severus declared as he walked towards the door. "I'll be back when you've calmed down a bit."

"Typical!" Emmeline screamed. "When things get tough you walk away! Go then! Leave! Just like you always do! Coward!" Severus froze. He turned slowly, giving Emmeline a steely look.

"Take. That. Back." He demanded coldly.

"So you think you were brave slinking out in the night with no explanation?!" Emmeline demanded. Severus frowned watching his fiance. A lot of her anger was leaving her. She looked mostly just tired and teary-eyed. he crossed his arms.

"What are we arguing about ?" He asked.

"I don't know!" Emmeline admitted with a quiet sob. Suddenly the door opened.

"Mum, Lucy and I-" Harry stopped mid-stride holding Lucy's hand comfortingly from where the girl looked very worried. "Is.... Everything alright?"

"Yes!" Both parents declared firmly, though Emmeline looked seconds from tears.

"Everything is fine." Severus insisted. Harry looked between the pair nervously.

"You're both terrible liars," Lucy said with a slight smile. Emmeline blinked while Severus stared before he scowled slightly. Eventually, Emmeline sighed and flopped onto the couch.

"Umbridge said ... some very cruel things."

"And you both have tempers to match?" Harry offered with a cheeky grin.

"Quiet you," Severus grumbled. Harry did as told, but the grin remained as he walked over to sit beside his mother. As soon as he did he was in her arms. Lucy hovered awkwardly off to the side before Severus came over and put his hands on her shoulders. He'd meant it the way that he did with Harry, just a stabilizing force, but then Lucy had her arms around his midriff, squeezing tighter than he was expecting which drew out a grunt.

"When I heard you were in the entrance hall with Professor Trewlawney and Ms. Emmeline..." Lucy murmured into his chest. Severus sighed and put a hand on her head. 

"It will take far more than Delores Umbridge to get rid of me," Severus assured her with a disgusted sniff as if the very notion was slightly offensive. The girl smiled up at him but didn't look up right away. When she did it was to let him go and join Harry on the couch. Without prompting Emmeline scooped the little girl into a hug as well and finally let out a contented sigh. Severus smiled and settled into the armchair alongside the couch and watched the trio with an air of peace.

"So what happens now?" Harry asked after a few minutes. Emmeline sighed again, sounding far more melancholic.

"I don't know," she admitted. "Nothing good I suppose... I wonder who's going to replace me." She muttered glumly.

"Probably Binns." Harry groaned pathetically.

"Is he bad?" Lucy asked worriedly.

"Worse than Emmeline, that's for sure," Severus grumbled.

"Well, the classes are great for catching up on sleep." Harry reasoned. Then hissed out a laugh at his mother's light smack up the backside of his head. 

"Don't listen to him," Severus said with a stern frown. "Try to pay attention in class, as best you can." The trio went back to snuggling.

"We're gonna miss you, Mum," Harry said after a few more minutes tucked into his mother's side.

 

"Save those goodbyes for when I'm actually gone." Emmeline insisted. No one commented on the fact that such a thing was much more an inevitability than a possibility.