Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 18 - Under the Dover Sky

Quiet.

That was the thing Emmeline had always loathed most about living alone. 

The soul-crushing mind numbingly lonely feeling of absolute quiet. 

It greeted her every morning, like a shroud over her tomb. She sighed and closed her eyes.

"Ten more days." She whispered up to the ceiling. It was her mantra. Every morning she counted down the days that she would see Harry and Severus and they could finally be a whole family again. Then she sighed and sat up. She looked over to Severus' side of the bed and lifted the parchment with the seating plans again. One benefit to all this free time was that she was finally starting to make some actual strides in wedding planning. She was just glad they'd finally agreed on a date! Next August on the first day of the golden harvest season. Yes it was a year away and would be the third year of their engagement. But it was perfect. The leaves would just be starting to crisp at the edges, and it was far enough away from Hogwarts that Severus and Harry wouldn't be scrambling. She let the paper fall as she recalled how important that had been for her a week ago when they finally agreed on that date. Now... well who knew what the future held. The curse on the position wasn't coming fast enough in her furious opinion! It really ought to speed things up a bit! She trudged down to the kitchen and thought about making herself some pancakes. But the longer she looked at the stove the less and less she wanted to. She didn't even know how she could make pancakes for just one person. The concept was appalling. So she made a boring old pan of eggs and bacon instead. But even that was disappointing as the silence made everything taste vaguely bland. Finally, after giving up on her catastrophic meal she left the house. She was getting low on eggs now. So she walked through the early winter chill with a weary expression. The winds were biting this close to the sea, but also blew in that calming scent which helped to ease just a fraction of Emmeline's melancholy mood.

Not enough to put a smile on her face.

But it was something. 

As she walked through the local market, hemming and hawing over produce, someone cleared their throat. Emmeline blinked and turned in shock.

Someone was talking to her?

"Emmeline?" Hannah Mathers whispered, sounding awed.

"Hannah!" Emmeline cried in glee. Thank goodness for a kind familiar face. "How are you?"

"What are you doing here?" Hannah asked worriedly. Emmeline blinked. Something about Hannah's tone seemed... weary. Emmeline frowned slightly. Something about it was giving her pause.

"I'm on a sabbatical," Emmeline answered. And that's what it was, she was sure of it. Once the curse kicked in and Delores was gone, she'd be back to Hogwarts. Even if Albus was gone, Minerva would hire her back.

Probably...

"Oh... so Severus is looking after Lucy?"

"Yes. And her head of house, Pomona! Dont worry. She's a very dear friend of ours." Emmeline assured her. Hannah nodded slowly before she swallowed.

"Is she happy?"

"Well, She's doing very well in her classes and made many friends," Emmeline assured her. Hannah's face scrunched up slightly.

"Well that's all well and good... but is she happy?" Hannah demanded. "In that world?"

"I suppose," Emmeline said with a bit of confusion. Hannah was acting a bit strange. But the moment Emmeline said that a wave of relief spread over Hannah's face, even as her smile grew a bit more wobbly.

"Thank you." she suddenly blurted out. "For everything."

"Of course!" Emmeline cried with a reassuring smile. She took a deep breath. "I know it's an adjustment, but I'm sure everything will work out, Hannah darling." The pastor's wife gave the witch a strained look before nodding softly.

"It was good to see you again," Hannah said before she suddenly turned and walked away. Emmeline blinked and watched her turn away, disappearing into the aisles. Emmeline stared after her with a blink.

What a very odd interaction.

After purchasing her goods she decided to apparate home, rather than lug everything back. She reorganized the wedding seating and menu one more time before she groaned and tossed it away. There were only so many times you could revise something before it started to eat at your spirit. And as she sat, getting grumpier and grumpier she let out a growl and rose to her feet.

She wanted to scream at something.

The sheer frustration of her situation was utterly maddening. So a moment later she was out the door trudging towards the cliffs with a scowl that would make Severus proud. As she approached the edge she took a deep breath and let out a furious yell. A few deep breaths later she fell back, sitting on a rock near the edge. She stared out at the setting sun on the sea and sighed. 

" 'llo there," a voice suddenly cut through the silence. Emmeline looked over and gasped.

Severus?!

Only... it couldn't be Severus. This man's hair was white as snow, cut shorter than Severus would ever keep it, and he had a short beard with salt and pepper on his jaw. He was also using a cane.

But that face.

And those eyes.

"Hello," Emmeline replied softly.

"Ya... perchance weren't the one screaming just now, were ya?" The man asked, Yorkshire lilt coming off in thick waves. Emmeline swallowed thickly.

"Y-yes." She admitted softly. "It's a family tradition... of sorts."

"Really?" The man muttered with a grin. "What a coincidence. I used to bring my lad up here to do just that myself!"

"Well," Emmeline muttered, feeling the sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach deepening.

"Oh begging her pardon miss. Forgettin my manners in my old age. Might I ask yer name?"

"Emmeline, Emmeline Vance."

"Pleasure to meet ya. The name's Tobias Snape. Friends call me Toby."


"And so," Umbridge purred eye alight with fire, but face smiling as always. "In the interest of student safety, in addition to the hospital matron, all heads must remain over the winter holidays." She finished. The room, which had previously been staring with vapid glazed eyes, suddenly perked up.

"What?!" Pomona cried in horror. "But! But I don't even have students staying!"

"What about our plans!" Flitwick added. "I'm supposed to be speaking at a lecture on Ancient Celtic Charming Circles in Belgium!"

"You'll simply have to write to them and inform them that unfortunately, your job is more important." Umbridge countered with a sniff.

"But I've already RSVP'D! And paid for transport! I submitted my portkey application to the ministry months ago!"

"What about our families!" Minerva bellowed, rising to her feet. "Christmas is the one time in the year that I actually see my sister and my nieces and nephews in person!"

"You should have visited them over the summer then. That seems to be a very irresponsible use of your time."

"I am deputy headmistress Delores! I'm busy over the summer! Drafting admission letters! Putting together book lists! Coordinating schedules!" Minerva listed off, glaring at the woman with a scowl.

"Perhaps you should hire a secretary to handle such things." Umbridge countered coolly. Minerva pursed her lips so fine that the entire room held its breath, waiting for the outburst. But she didn't have to.

"Delores," Severus began, a bitter scowl on his face. "Why must you always couch your vitriolic attacks on our happiness and well-being behind pathetic excuses and blatant lies?" He stood up, towering over the pink-clad toad with a sneer. "Just admit it. The only reason why you're doing this is because you are a sad pathetic ugly lonely cold bitter old woman with whom no one has ever expressed a shred of love, and you want us to be just as sad and bitter and lonely as you." He took a deep breath. "Well fine. Have it your way. But know this. I refuse to be pathetic. You might take some sick twisted joy in tearing my family apart, but I refuse to let you break me. I have faced far worse than you, and I have endured it. I will endure you too." Then he turned and stormed out of the room. Delores was absolutely furious, though the blush on her face was blending into her hat and coat so that she looked completely pink. Then the colour went deeper and deeper until the woman's skin was fluorescent. Minerva blinked.

"Delores... you're glowing."

"DON'T PATRONISE ME YOU WRETCH!" She bellowed shrilly. The deputy blinked before scoffing and turned to leave.

"Delores," Poppy muttered softly. "Look in a mirror."

"YOU ARE THE EASIEST TO REPLACE!" She cried. "There are dozens of healers at Saint Mungo's who would KILL for your job Pomphrey! Don't test me!" Umbridge roared. The matron snorted and shook her head.

"Never mind then." She declared. Flitwick nodded and got up, while Pomona followed.

"Do you think it was Severus or the Weasley twins?"

"My bet is the twins," Pomona muttered casually. 

"It does seem like their type of prank." Poppy agreed.

"Severus is much more vindictive than that." Minerva agreed. Then the door closed leaving a very confused Umbridge behind.


Emmeline couldn't tell you why she went back the next day. Tobias had been kind enough to offer her a sandwich from his lunch. He seemed just as lonely as she was if she was being perfectly honest. He'd admitted that he hadn't expected anyone to be up there and had been pleasantly surprised. She asked after his family, already knowing the answers. Or so she'd thought.

"My wife has sadly passed. Cancer. It was a rough time. My lad took it hard. Not as hard as me 'course. I was wretched to him. I'm not proud of it. Not by a long shot. But he made good in the end. He got his doctorate, no thanks to me. He teaches now. I keep tabs on him. Got a whole book of newspaper clippings." Toby had murmured, looking far away but with an unmistakable glimmer of pride in his eyes.

"My fiance is a teacher." Emmeline blurted out without thinking. That had made the man's eyes light up.

"Where?"

"Oh, it's a prestigious school in Scotland," Emmeline said quickly, using the regular line. "Very exclusive."

"Oh really?" Tobias said softly. "What's he teaching?"

"Chemistry," Emmeline murmured casually. That made Tobias smile. 

"Well good for him. And congratulations."

"Thank you."

The conversation had drifted after that, to her own family (my grandfather owns a racing bike company.) And his history in Dover (I was stationed here in 46. Yes I know, I look good for 72.). As the sun sank into the horizon Tobias smiled and casually invited her to meet again the next day.

And Emmeline had (inexplicably) agreed.

That was three days ago.

" 'llo Emmie!" Tobias called with a grin and a wave from his seat on the rocks. The woman didn't answer as chipper as usual, which made him frown. "What's got yer knit in a twist?"

"My fiance was just barred from leaving the school for Christmas holidays." Tobias blinked and frowned.

"On who's authority?"

"This absolutely wretchedly vile woman the government sent to 'fix' the school. In reality, she's ruined everything! She makes everyone miserable, she's banned everything she doesn't like. She won't allow students to learn anything other than inane ministry-approved dribble or her own insanely backwards views on creatures! She's trying to indoctrinate the next generation into mindless ministry-working drones who'd follow Cornelius blood Fudge off a bloody cliff! And all the while she's decided to make it her life's mission, for some reason, to ruin my family's lives in particular as much as possible! I would very much like to drown her in the black lake and feed her to the giant squid!" Emmeline ended furiously.

"Sounds like Hogwarts isn't having a good time," Tobias muttered gravely.

"No, it's really not!" Emmeline agreed bitterly.

"Probably driving Severus mental."

"Yes, it is!" Emmeline agreed.

"Don't worry love, I'm sure he'll find some way to be with ya over the holidays." Tobias finished cheerfully.

"Thank-" Emmeline began. Then her blood turned to ice. She looked at the man who was smirking as her face went pale and fearful. "H-how-"

"Since ya said yer fiance worked in a fancy school in Scotland. Words for wise love, don't use the same excuse every time. Contrary to what yer government thinks, us muggles aren't all stupid. Severus didn't get all his brains from his mum after all." He added with a wink. Emmeline was utterly flabbergasted as she sat down on the rocks as the wind fell out of her sails. The pair sat there, the occasional gust of wind blustering the light snow about a bit.

"Glad to hear he's finally ask ya to marry him." Tobias suddenly muttered. "I was starting to think he'd be alone forever. At least, that's what Albus led me to believe."

"You know Albus?" Emmeline asked softly. Tobias hemmed as he scratched his short beard. 

"Never met him personally, but he was my point of contact when I tried to reach out and find Severus again." He looked skyward. "part of my program. To climb out of the hole I'd dug myself." Emmeline stared at the old man as his eyes grew far away. "Me and Clive are the only two left in our regiment ya know... Jim and Dave both offed themselves in 58. And Brian was killed in the Falklands, the fool." Tobias swallowed. "I... I was on that edge myself. But Clive... he pulled me back. Saw me through the thick of it. Reaching out to Severus was the last step I had to take. To fix what I'd done. But... Well, I lost contact with him a decade ago. All I had was Hogwarts. So I sent them a letter. Didn't expect a reply. How was I supposed to know muggle mail could go through? But an owl came. Albus said that Severus didn't want anything to do with me. Which I understood. I blamed him for his own mother's death at her own bloody funeral. And that was before I hit him."

Emmeline's soul hurt to hear that. No wonder Severus had been so hurt. He never responded well to guilt. Even when he had no reason to be guilty.

"I still wanted to know what was happening in his life though... Albus was kind enough to keep me posted and help me sign up for the prophet. Good to stay in the loop, even if it's turned into a wartime rag." He was scowling now, the familiar harsh lines making the striking resemblance between him and his son that much more obvious. "reminds me more of the Cokeworth Times back in 38 more and more every day. Cept at least they admitted the war was going on!"

"When did you reach out?" Emmeline suddenly asked. Tobias smiled.

"1985." Emmeline blinked.

"Ten years ago?" She muttered. Had Severus really ignored his father for ten years?

"I send him a letter every year on his birthday now. My owl usually comes back with no reply of course..."Tobias murmured. This made Emmeline frown. She didn't recall Severus mentioning any owls on his birthday. "I get it. I hurt him. But I hope the repeated letters make him realize I still care."

"Would you like to come to our wedding?" Emmeline suddenly blurted out without thinking. Tobias blinked and his eyes glimmered a moment before dimming slightly.

"Yer a good lass, but I'm not sure that would be such a good idea. Heaven knows Severus wouldn't want me to be there..."

"Maybe this would be the best time for reconciliation," Emmeline argued. "It's a new beginning." Tobias smiled softly.

"You remind me of my Ellie." He declared. Emmeline blinked. "She had a lot of optimism too." He let out a slow huff. "alright. I'll come. Thank you for the invitation."

"I have to go home and adjust the seating plans." Emmeline suddenly declared with a touch of melancholy. Tobias threw his head back and laughed. 


"What?" Lucy cried, her entire posture slackening.

"Unfortunately, Umbridge has decreed that as head of house I must remain here for the holidays," Severus admitted softly.

"So she's banning bloody Christmas now?!" Harry cried in disgust.

"Language," Severus said flatly. Harry scowled.

"Think I should get a pass whenever her name pops up in a sentence," Harry argued angrily. Severus momentarily considered it before shaking his head. 

"Don't stoop to a level she can punish you for."

"Christmas won't be the same without you though!" Lucy suddenly blurted out, eyes filling with tears. Severus' heart clenched and he stepped forward to wrap his cloak around the girl into a protective hug. She sniffed and hugged him back, burying her face into his chest.

"It's not enough to make us miserable here," Harry added as he also stepped forward. But rather than join Lucy in her embrace, he leaned against his father with a sad sigh. "Now she's making us miserable at home." Severus looked over at him with a sad expression. This would only be the second Christmas Harry spent at home, and he knew it must invoc bad memories to have Severus be away. Then he blinked and realized that he was meeting his son's eyes, just by turning his head.

The boy was nearly his height.

He felt his throat tighten a bit and swallowed roughly to clear it.

"I will do everything in my power to find some way to be with you." Severus declared. "Perhaps not physically, but I will be there." Lucy sniffed as she pulled away again. 

"We're really gonna miss you," she murmured even as she wiped her face. "We'll bring back as many cookies as we can fit in our trunks." she declared boldly. Harry nodded emphatically. Severus chuckled.

"I'd like that immensely."


Emmeline looked up from her knitting to the fire as it burned green.

"Hello darling," she murmured softly as she set it aside and dropped down to the rug.

"How are you, my dear?" Severus responded with a weary expression.

"Well enough..." she said with a soft sigh. "Three more days..."

"I am so sorry I can't get away."

"It's fine," Emmeline assured him for the hundredth time. "I know it's not your fault."

"Has anything of note been happening in Dover?" Emmeline opened her mouth.

"I saw Hannah." she finished.

"Hannah?"

"Mathers. Lucy's mother."

"Oh... and?"

"I don't know... the interaction was... strange," Emmeline admitted softly. Severus made a face, not quite a sneer, but not a happy face to be sure.

"Well that doesn't bode well..." Severus murmured. "Lucy knows she is welcome whenever of course... so perhaps she can spend as little time around her father as possible."

"Yes." Emmeline agreed. 

"Anything else?"

"No," Emmeline said with a swallow. "Absolutely nothing."

"Very well. I'm working on figuring something out to see you over the holidays. Something a little more... secure."

"Of course." Emmeline agreed. Umbridge had been monitoring the floos since October, so she wasn't surprised that Severus didn't consider the fireplace suitable.

"Have a good night my dear."

"You too darling," Emmeline said softly before the fire flickered orange again. 

Maybe I should have told him about Tobias...

Emmeline shook her head quickly with a wince

That's not the sort of thing people discussed in fireplaces. She would tell him when she saw him in person next. Whenever that would be.