Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 15

Harry sat on the edge of his bed, just staring silently and pensively at the floor. It was the early hours of the morning and the rest of his dorm was still asleep. He, however, couldn’t sleep no matter how hard he tried. It was the day of the Second Task and he was totally screwed. Despite his efforts, he never found a solution to breathing underwater for an hour. He couldn’t do the task. Maybe that wasn’t a bad thing. If he didn’t do the task, nothing in the task could try and kill him. Maybe he could just be disqualified.


He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. To make it all worse, he hadn’t seen or heard from Snape in almost two days. The professor hadn’t been at any meals. They hadn’t had Potions so there was no class to see him in. They didn’t have a scheduled meeting and when he went to the man’s rooms, no one answered. He’d tried asking Lucius, but even he seemed clueless about Snape’s whereabouts.


Or he’s lying to you, a voice in his head said and he frowned. Maybe Snape’s avoiding you. Maybe he doesn’t want to see you anymore.


His frown deepened and his heart started to pound painfully.


He’s left you.


“No!” he snapped at himself in a harsh whisper.


“Harry?”


He looked up at his name and found Neville sitting up in his bed, looking at him sleepily.


“Neville,” he said. “Sorry, did I wake you up?”


Neville just shrugged, meaning Harry had woken him, but it wasn’t a big deal. “Everything alright?”


“As they can be,” Harry said, sighing again.


“Nervous about the task?”


“Terrified. I never figured out how to do it, how to breathe underwater for an hour.”


Neville bit his lip and then climbed out of bed, standing by his trunk. “I have something for you, but you have to promise you won’t tell Snape you got it from me. He’d skin me alive.”


Harry’s eyebrows drew together in confusion. “I promise I won’t tell him.” Even if I wanted to.


Neville nodded and dug in his trunk before pulling out a fold of fabric. Coming over to Harry, he held it out. Harry took it slowly, questioning.


“I wanted to give it to you earlier, especially with how worried you’ve been about the task. I was worried, though, worried you’d tell Snape what I did and then I’d be in trouble. I just wanted to help.”


Harry looked at the folded napkin in his hands and carefully pulled away one side. He frowned at the slimy-looking green thing. Whatever it was, was coiled around making a flat spiral. He glanced back up at Neville, his eyebrow raised.


“It’s gillyweed,” Neville said, “the plant I told you about. It allows you to breathe underwater. It doesn’t grow in the greenhouses, but Snape had some.”


Harry’s eyes widened in realization. “You stole this from Snape’s stores?”


Neville flushed, ashamed, and nodded.


Harry let out a breath. “I won’t say anything.”


Something’s wrong. Why didn’t Neville get caught?


“Thank you for this,” he said, covering the strange plant back up and placing it in the drawer on his bedside table. “How does it work?”


“Eat it just before you go in the water,” Neville said, “then jump in. It’ll cause you to grow temporary gills.”


“How temporary?”


“Assuming Snape has the best supply, exactly an hour. It could be a little less though.”


“I’ll just have to finish the task as fast as I can, just in case.”


Neville nodded.


“Thank you, really. You’ve really saved me here.”


Neville blushed. “Just wanted to help.”


Harry smiled. “We should go back to sleep.”


Neville agreed and returned to his bed. Harry crawled back under his covers and found himself falling asleep easily.




“Are you alright, Harry?” Fred asked.


“You seem nervous,” George said.


They, along with Neville and Luna, were walking down the dock with Harry, heading to where the other champions were standing. They were on large stands that were in the middle of the Black Lake and only accessible by boat. It was a frigid February morning and Harry was not relishing the idea of having to go for a swim.


“I am,” Harry said, looking all around the stands. “Extremely.”


It wasn’t just nerves that was making him look through the crowds of spectators. While he hadn’t seen Snape in a couple of days, he assumed the man would at least be watching the task, watching him. However, as he looked everywhere, he wasn’t seeing the professor at all. He spotted Lucius, sitting up with all the professors. He man gave him an encouraging smile which helped a little bit, but it was truly Snape’s’ reassurance and encouragement he needed.


He felt his heart break a little as everyone was called to attention and Snape wasn’t there.


He left you. He doesn’t care. He never cared, the cynical voice in his head said.


He shook his head. No!


It couldn’t be true. Snape couldn’t have left him. Something must’ve happened. Maybe Voldemort did something through the Dark Mark. Or maybe Dumbledore had him doing something. Or maybe he was at some Potions thing and didn’t mention it.


He left you! the voice hissed.


Harry jumped at the sound of a loud bang. The other champions disappearing into the water made him realize the task had begun. He pulled the gillyweed out of his pocket and shoved it in his mouth, jumping in the water. He almost gagged on the plant. It was so slimy and almost felt alive as it went down his throat. Then he felt the pain in his neck, hands, and feet. He gasped out and experienced the bizarre feeling of swallowing water but not choking or drowning. There was a strange fluttering on either side of his neck near his ears. He reached up through the water and felt the raised fleshy gills he had grown. He looked at his hands and feet and realized they had become webbed.


Weird, he thought then shook himself. He had wasted enough time. He had to finish the task.


Using his newly webbed appendages, he easily and quickly swam through the dark, murky water. Seaweed consistently stroked his face and tried to wrap around his legs. He kept hearing strange sounds, making him wonder what other creatures inhabited the lake with the squid and the merpeople. He knew he would see dark figured swim by in his periphery but he had no idea what exactly he was seeing.


He swam around for a time, wondering what he was meant to be looking for. He was startled when he nearly collided with Cedric Diggory who had a strange, transparent, flowy mask over his nose and mouth. Whatever it was must be the way he was breathing. They locked eyes and then Cedric tapped his ear before swimming off. Harry frowned. What was that about? Was he supported to be hearing something? Did Cedric hear something he didn’t?


With a mental shrug, he began to swim again. He kept an eye out for whatever creatures that may be following him. He spun around after a time when he felt something that wasn’t seaweed touch his foot. It was almost impossible to see anything through the dark water, though, so he kept going.


He had no idea how long it had been, but he had a feeling he was cutting it close. What was he supposed to be searching for?


And while you’re searching, ponder this:


We’ve taken what you’ll sorely miss.’


He looked around at the melody but saw nothing.


What I’ll sorely miss.


He didn’t have anything. He’d miss Hedwig, but he doubted she would’ve been taken. Once he would’ve said Ron and Hermione but neither were an option. He had few personal items. He’d miss his father’s Invisibility Cloak and the Marauder’s Map, but neither seemed important enough to take for the task.


So what were they talking about? What could they have taken from him?


Unbidden, a flash of recent memories involving Snape came to mind and he frowned to himself.


Snape? Would I sorely miss him?


The feelings of the last couple of days instantly confirmed his question. He’d felt so lost and alone without the man.


If Snape had been taken, that must be the reason he hadn’t seen the man for two days. Snape hadn’t left him!


He instantly began to move, but stopped when he realized he still had no idea where to look. He bit his lip, looking in all directions for a clue.


But past an hour, the prospect’s black:


Too late, it’s gone, it won’t come back.’


He looked around. The melody was soft as though it was far away. His eyes widened in realization. He had to follow the music!


He started off again, listening hard for the familiar melody. It took a few moments but he was soon following it easily. It was getting steadily louder, encouraging him to swim faster and faster until he was suddenly in a large clearing. He immediately noticed the three figures floating in the water, their ankles tethered with seaweed to a huge log on the lake’s floor.


He kicked hard and swam up to the unconscious people. The little Delacour girl, Cho Chang, and Snape were all hovering peacefully in front of him. Krum must’ve already been there. He was just getting closer to Snape when Cedric showed up, using his wand to cut Cho free. He gave Harry a nod before heading for the surface.


Harry was just about to pull his wand to release Snape when he was suddenly attacked. The little grey creatures—grindylows—grabbed onto his arms, legs, and neck, biting when and where they could. He did his best to fight them off, kicking out and trying to pull them off. Somehow, he freed one arm long enough to pull out his wand. He didn’t know how it would work as he couldn’t say an incantation but he tried the wand movement for Immobulus anyways. Shockingly, it worked and the still, stiff bodies of the grindylows slowly drifted away from him. He immediately went to Snape and waved his wand in the movement of Incendio, hoping for the same result. He succeeded and tiny flames appeared long enough to burn through the seaweed before going out.


He grasped Snape’s arm and headed for the surface. It seemed to take forever and he worried the whole time about getting attacked by more grindylows or even merpeople, but they escape unhindered. 


They broke the water’s surface, and he heard Snape splutter and cough. Whatever kind of spell had been on the man was clearly broken. He gasped in shock and pain as searing pain through his limbs and neck. He looked at his hands when it disappeared and found them back to normal. He had made it just in time.


Together they swam over to the stands and were helped up. Both of them were wrapped in thick towels. Exhausted and overwhelmed, Harry collapsed and sat down on the floor of the stand, not caring about all the people standing around him. He barely noticed all the applause and didn’t hear much of what Dumbledore said. He got the gist of it all: besides Fleur Delacour who was disqualified after having to be rescued, he had come in last and had fallen to third place. He honestly didn’t care. He did notice Snape kneel in front of him.


“Are you alright?” the man asked. “You’re injured.”


Harry blinked at him and felt his eyes fill with tears. Concern crossed Snape’s face. “Snape,” he whispered. “I thought you’d left me.”


Snape’s expression softened and Harry found himself choked up at the emotions in the dark eyes. “’Severus’. I will never leave you.”


Harry sobbed and then reached out to wrap his arms around Snape’s neck. He was immediately rewarded with a tight hug in return.




“Gillyweed. An uncommon choice,” Severus said.


Harry flushed. “Promise you won’t be mad?”


Severus raised an eyebrow, glancing at Lucius who appeared both bemused and amused.


“It was Neville,” Harry said. “He took it from your stores to help. He only wanted to help me and he did. I had no way of surviving the task before he gave me the gillyweed.”


Severus just looked down at the top of the boy’s head leaning against his side with a smile.


“Are you mad?” Harry asked, uncertain.


Severus threaded his fingers through the dark hair. “No, child, I’m not mad.”


“Karkaroff was watching the two of you very closely today,” Lucius said.


“Do you think he will return?” Severus said, still brushing through Harry’s hair gently.


“He would be welcomed with news of traitors, at first,” Lucius said. “He wouldn’t last long.”


“Wait,” Harry interrupted. “What does that all mean?”


“Karkaroff could potentially tell Voldemort when he returns that I am a traitor,” Severus said.


“Were you planning to keep being a spy?” Harry asked.


Snape glanced down. “Not anymore.”


“Will Dumbledore be mad?”


“Undoubtedly,” Severus said bluntly, “but I feel he will be easier to manage than Voldemort. I also don’t fancy risking my life like that again.”


Harry settled back against the man. “Good.”


Severus smiled and gave the boy a squeeze. “I think it may be time for you to go to bed, child.”


Harry sat up, a disappointed frown on his face. “I don’t want to go back to the Tower.”


“I said you had to go to bed, not to the Tower,” Severus said.


Harry grinned. “Good. Good night then.”


“Good night,” Severus said. “Tomorrow, if you like, perhaps you can show me that potion.”


Harry’s eyes widened in recognition and he nodded. “Definitely. Thanks. Night, Lucius.”


“Sleep well, my boy.”


Harry disappeared into the guestroom, closing the door behind him. As soon as he was sure Harry was ensconced in the bedroom, Severus turned to Lucius. 


“He thought I had left him,” the professor said. “He thinks I’ll abandon him.”


“Are you surprised?” Lucius said. “He’s never had the most reliable or stable adult figures. Even that godfather of his. I honestly don’t think Harry’s received a word from that man.”


“I refuse to be like that,” Severus said. “I need you to do your work in the Ministry. Get me guardianship.”




“Harry, this potion takes eight months to brew,” Severus said, reading over the foreign soul detection potion. It was one of the most complicated potions he had ever seen and he had brewed several complex potions in his life and career.


Harry bit his lip, swinging one leg nervously while he sat on the stool in Severus’ personal lab. “I know.”


“And these ingredients,” Severus said, shaking his head. “Some are damn near impossible to get and expensive.”


“I can research, find out how to get them,” Harry said. “And I’ll pay for all of it.”


“You’ll do no such thing,” Severus said and Harry frowned. “Your inheritance is for you to spend on yourself and support you immediately after school until you are settled.”


“But I’ve used it for all of my school stuff,” Harry said, confused. “Why is this different?”


“Because you never should have had to buy your school supplies. You guardians were supposed to do that but since they’re despicable…” Severus trailed off bitterly and Harry grinned in amusement. “I will take you up on that research offer, however, but only if you work on getting a little better in Potions class. I will help if you need it. Deal?”


Harry nodded. “Deal.”


“Good,” Severus said and picked up the book. “Let’s go to my stores and see what ingredients I do have.”


Harry hopped off the stool and walked with the professor down the corridor. “I wish I could help with the potion.”


“I’m sure there are some things you can help with,” Severus said. “Perhaps ingredient preparation.”


Harry bowed his head. “I’ve never been great at that or any part of brewing.”


“Part of your difficulty could stem from stress and the way I treated you,” Severus said. “I truly apologize for my behaviour and actions. I have no excuse for any of it.”


Harry shrugged one shoulder. “It’s odd. Even though it was horrible and I hated it and I hated you, I came to rely on it all.”


Severus gave him a bemused look.


“Things were always changing and people were always changing, especially towards me. It was constantly back and forth between the school liking me and hating me. You, though, you never changed. You always hated me and treated me badly. Nothing I ever did could change that and I came to lean on that stability. In a weird way, you’ve always been the stable part of my life.”


The professor gazed at the child, unsure what to say. He chose to say nothing and, instead, rested his hand briefly on Harry’s cheek in gratitude. Harry smiled. Severus then pulled away and turned to the door of his storeroom. He raised a hand and then frowned deeply, almost as if concerned. 


“Severus?” Harry said, the name still feeling strange to say.


“My wards are inactive,” the man said. “They’ve been tampered with.” He opened the door and walked in. He glanced around, obviously doing a quick scan and mental inventory.


Eventually, he ran a hand irritably through his hair.


“What is it?”


“More Polyjuice ingredients are gone. Almost my entire supply.” 


“So, what does that mean?” Harry asked tensely.


Severus sighed and met the worried green eyes. “It means whoever is using Polyjuice Potion has at least three months’ worth, perhaps four.”


“So we may never find out who it is,” Harry said and the professor nodded. Harry couldn’t help the fear that ran through his body.