Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 20

“We can begin the potion, if you’d like,” Severus said, sitting on the sofa and looking at Harry in the chair. “Alexei was able to find the final ingredients.”


Harry looked up from his Potions homework, still working on the same assignment and having just as little success. He thought about his guardian’s offer. Did he still want the potion? Did he want to know? Did he want to find out if he had a piece of Voldemort inside him?


“You can think about it,” Severus said.


Harry nodded and turned back to his work. He propped his elbow up and leaned his head on his hand, letting out a deep breath.


“What are you working on?” Severus asked casually.


“Potions,” Harry admitted.


“You understand the project?”


“Yeah, I’m figuring it out,” Harry lied. He still didn’t think it was right to get Severus’ help with his school work, particularly Potions.


Severus gave him a searching gaze. “Are you alright? You have seemed very distracted the last week.”


“I’m fine,” Harry lied again.


He had been very distant and distracted ever since seeing the memory in Dumbledore’s office. He felt like he was losing his mind. He swore it was Barty Crouch Jr. in his dreams and Moody had the same involuntary tick, yet everyone he asked said Barty Crouch Jr. was dead. Dumbledore, Lucius, and Severus couldn’t all be wrong so Crouch Jr. must be dead, but then how was he seeing Crouch Jr. in his nightmares? He had to be seeing things, had to be wrong, had to be losing his mind. Maybe it was all the stress and grief of the year.


He sighed and packed up his things suddenly. “I’m going to head back to the Tower. I’ll see you later at dinner.”


Severus frowned as he watched the child leave, hands in his pockets and his head down. Harry shuffled his way up to the Tower from the dungeons. The only thing he had been able to think about for days was how much he wanted Ron back. Things would seem so much better and Ron would be on his side no matter what. He never felt crazy around Ron.


He looked up when he felt a breeze and realized he had gone outside rather than to the Tower. He knew where he had been unconsciously going and continued on until he was in front of Ron’s headstone. He immediately dropped his bag and sat on the ground, not caring about the damp grass. He crossed his legs and leaned on his knees, staring at Ron’s grave.


“I miss you,” Harry said. “Everything’s so hard. I don’t want to do it anymore. Nothing makes sense and I have no one. I can’t do this alone anymore. I wish you were here, that you had never left. It isn’t fair. I want someone and I want someone to want me. You were always there. I want you back, to help me through all of this. I don’t want to be alone anymore.”


“Harry?”


He glanced up at Lucius, noting the concerned face, but quickly turned back to Ron. He gave no response when Lucius sat down beside him.


“Is everything alright?” Lucius asked gently.


“I guess,” Harry said dully, ignoring the hair that was blown into his eyes by the light wind. He heard Lucius sigh, but said nothing.


“We’ve all been trying to decide where to live this summer,” Lucius said casually, filling the silent void. “I’m going to sell the manor. I don’t want to be there anymore. Severus has never really—“


“How do you do it?” Harry interrupted, his voice quiet.


“Do what?”


“Go on,” Harry said, his voice now breaking. “You’ve lost your whole family. How do you keep going or be happy?”


Lucius gave him a heartbroken look before gazing at his son’s grave. “With great effort and every fibre of my being,” he said. “It is the hardest part of my day, getting up and continuing a new day without them. They are in every single one of my thoughts.”


“Do you want them back?”


“Every second of every day,” Lucius said and turned his eyes back to the child. “What is plaguing your mind?”


Harry dropped his head, sniffling as tears threatened to fall. “Ron,” he whispered. “Everything’s so hard this year and I just want him back.”


Lucius’ heart ached for the boy. “Harry…”


“I’ve been all alone all year and I don’t want to do it anymore. I just want him with me to make everything better. He would help me and believe me and make things easy. He would be with me and stay with me, and I know he would always stay. I never had to question that.”


“Who is leaving you? Why are you alone?”


“Everyone,” Harry choked. “Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Lupin, Sirius…everyone.”


“What about what you’re gained?” Lucius said. “Myself, Alexei, Severus.”


“Gonna leave,” Harry said, sniffing again. “I’m always alone. Everyone leaves. No one ever wants me. You will all see and decide the same thing.”


“Oh, Harry,” Lucius whispered. “Let me tell you something about Severus. When he cares about someone—loves someone—he puts his entire being into it and he never stops.”


“Doesn’t love me,” Harry muttered. “No one does.”


Lucius sighed again. He reached out and gently turned Harry to face him. Harry continued to stare at the ground until Lucius raised his head, kind grey eyes meeting broken green.


“Listen to me, child,” Lucius said earnestly. “He loves you. We all do.”


Harry started to shake his head, but Lucius stopped him, keeping their eyes locked.


We love you. Severus, Alexei, and I…we each love you and we will make sure you believe us one day,” Lucius said and Harry’s tears spilled over. “I know how much you miss Ron and I am so sorry you’ve had to go through losing him, but you are not alone. You have some friends and you will always have us. We are never letting you go.”


Harry sobbed and collapsed into Lucius’ arms and chest.


“I know you miss him and you always will, but you will never be alone. You will always have us. We will always love you.” Lucius hugged the child close, pressing his cheek to the top of Harry’s head. “You are loved,” he whispered and continued to repeat it as Harry cried, and he looked at the graves of his son and the beloved Ron Weasley.




“So, what is it people aren’t believing you about?” Lucius asked some time later.


He and Harry had eventually moved so they were sitting under and leaning against the tree, still gazing at the graves. Harry was against Lucius’ side with the man’s arm around his neck and fingers messing with his hair. Harry had finally calmed down. He was still sad, but felt a little better with Lucius’ help.


“It’s more I don’t have enough proof to go against something several people swear happened,” Harry said.


“What is it?”


Harry hesitated. “I think Barty Crouch Jr. is alive.”


Lucius’ hand stilled for a moment before resuming its actions. “You do? What makes you think that?”


“I know it doesn’t make sense,” Harry said. “I know you said you signed the death certificate, but I’ve seen him. Well, in my nightmares but I’ve seen him. I know it’s him from the memory I saw in Dumbledore’s office. It’s the same person. He’s alive and working for Voldemort trying to get me. Maybe he’s the one using Polyjuice Potion to be someone else in the school. I don’t know but I know he’s alive. I know he is.”


They were silent for a while as Lucius thought about Harry’s claim. Eventually, Harry sighed.


“You think I’m crazy, don’t you?”


Lucius tilted Harry’s face up so they could meet eyes. “Never,” he said adamantly and Harry smiled. “Unfortunately, I cannot investigate myself so we will enlist Alexei’s help.”


Harry chuckled. “How does he have so much influence when he doesn’t even work at the Ministry anymore?”


“Has he not told you?” Lucius said and Harry sat up, frowning.


“Told me what?”


“He was Minister for Magic once and then on the Wizengamot under a Minister before Fudge. We were also on the Board of Governors together which is how we came to truly know each other,” Lucius explained, smirking at Harry’s awed expression.


“Wasn’t he also Severus’ Potions mentor?” Harry asked and Lucius nodded. “Merlin! Why hasn’t he said anything?”


Lucius hummed, amused. “Probably waiting for just the right time to startle you most.”


“He is oddly amused by shocking the life out of people,” Harry mused.


“He’s immortal, Harry,” Lucius said, climbing to his feet. “He has to keep busy lest he get bored and you do not want him to get bored.”


Harry gave the blonde a curious look. “Why not?”


Lucius just smirked, leading him back to the castle without saying a word.




“You were the Minister for Magic?” Harry burst out the moment he was in Severus’ rooms and spotted the vampire.


Alexei gave him and Lucius disappointed looks. “You told him? Well, now you’ve ruined the fun.”


Lucius just shrugged with a grin, going over to the bemused Severus in the study doorway.


“Were you planning on telling me?” Harry said, crossing his arms.


“Sure,” Alexei said, “on my deathbed.”


Harry scowled. “You’re immortal.”


“Ah, yes, suppose I forgot that small detail,” Alexei said dramatically, far too amused.


“Alexei!” Harry protested and the vampire laughed.


“Fine, fine, come sit,” Alexei said, patting the sofa cushion beside him. Harry instantly sat beside the Russian man. “Yes, I was the British Minister for Magic but it was a long time ago, even before your great-grandparents’ time.”


“How long were you the Minister?”


“Twenty-six years,” Alexei said. “I got bored fast.”


Harry gaped. “But that’s a long time.”


“Not for a vampire,” Alexei pointed out and Harry nodded in agreement.


“Were you ever at the Ministry with Fudge as Minister?”


Alexei shook his head. “I left after the Minister I worked under became oddly ill.”


Harry frowned. “Oddly?”


“Yes, it was very strange,” Alexei said. “He contracted a rare, mysterious illness and was forced to resign because of it. It was widely believed to have been a plot set by someone.”


“Who?” Harry asked. “Who would do that?” His frown deepened at the glance Alexei sent Lucius.


“You can tell him,” Lucius said. “He’s very much aware the Malfoys have less than stellar records.”


Alexei sighed at the man’s self-deprecation, turning back to the child. “Abraxas Malfoy was thought to be a part of the ploy.”


Harry looked at Lucius. “Your—“


“My father,” Lucius confirmed.


“But why?” Harry asked. “Why would he want to do such a thing to the Minister for Magic?”


“Because Minister Nobby Leach was Muggleborn,” Lucius answered bitterly.


Harry blinked in surprise. “There have been Muggleborn Ministers?”


“He was the first and only,” Alexei said.


“There have been more women as Ministers for Magic than Muggleborns,” Lucius said.


“There’s a lot of negativity behind being Muggleborn still, isn’t there?” Harry said, continuing to frown. The men nodded sadly.


“Negativity that has only been reinforced by families such as the Malfoys and those that have followed Voldemort,” Lucius said.


“You’re not like that,” Harry argued.


“Anymore,” Lucius said. “It has been a very short period of time that I have stopped believing in ‘pure blood’.”


Harry flashed back to second year. It was the first time Draco had called Hermione that terrible name. At Hagrid’s for Ron’s backfired curse, Hagrid had explained to Harry what the name meant, saying how there were families that only believed in ‘pure blood’. He also remembered the end of second year after Dobby stopped Lucius from killing him. He remembered how Lucius had spoken of his parents and their deaths. 


Burdened by old feelings, Harry stood up suddenly. “I have to go,” he said and ran out before anyone could say a word.


“What was that about?” Alexei asked, turning to the other men who looked just as confused as him.


“No idea. It was very odd,” Severus said.


“You don’t think he thinks we—or I—believe and feel the same way about Muggleborns as we used to?” Lucius said.


“Even if he did think that,” Alexei said, “he’s not Muggleborn.”


“No, but one of his ex-best friends is and his mother was,” Severus said. “He also knows Muggles and Muggleborns are what Voldemort hated and wanted to destroy.”


“Oh dear,” Alexei said, sighing deeply.


They had no more time to ponder as a hard knock sounded on the door.


“Expecting someone?” Alexei asked and the others shook their heads.


Whoever it was knocked again.


“We are looking for Mr. Lucius Malfoy,” a voice said. “Open the door.”


The three men frowned at each other. Lucius moved to stand behind the sofa as Severus went to open the door. Once it was open, three men charged into the rooms. Two of them were average, dressed in the uniform depicting an Auror of the Ministry. The third man, however, stood out. He was a bald, black man and very large, wearing purple robes and a purple cap.


“Kingsley?” Lucius said, gaining shocked stares from Severus and Alexei. They were even more shocked when the dark man gave Lucius a smile.


“Good to see you again, Lucius,” the Auror—Kingsley—said. “Unfortunately, my business here is not friendly.”


“I gathered as much,” Lucius said, glancing at the other two Aurors who were clearly awaiting instructions. He looked at Kingsley’s sad expression and immediately knew what was happening. He was now glad Harry had left. “So they’ve decided.”


Kingsley nodded. “I’m sorry, Lucius, but you’re under arrest for the Death Eater attack on Hogwarts and the murder of your son, Draco Malfoy.”


“What?” Severus and Alexei exclaimed together.


Lucius looked at them. “We knew this would happen. Alexei, just keep trying to find a way to break the case.”


“I will,” the vampire promised.


“Tell Harry I’m sorry, but I will be back. I haven’t left him,” he said, walking to the Aurors who grabbed his arms.


“I will,” Severus promised this time.


And then Lucius was disappearing into the Floo with the Aurors.




Harry stood at the railing at the edge of the Astronomy Tower. He was breathing hard from the run and he let the wind whip his hair around. He grabbed onto the railing and held tight, staring out at the Forbidden Forest and the horizon. His head was spinning and he tried to make sense of it all. He shook his head and forced his thoughts to slow down.


He wasn’t positive what had made him run. It seemed everything he used to feel towards Severus and Lucius had flooded back as Lucius talked about his father and the Muggleborn Minister. The way Lucius had been talking…he knew Lucius was talking about his father, but there was a time there wouldn’t have been much differentiation.


Once Lucius believed the same things and enforced them, taught them to Draco. And Draco…Draco had believed what he had been taught. All those times he called Hermione that name. Lucius used to say awful things about Muggles and even the Weasleys all because they liked and accepted Muggles.


Severus joined the Death Eaters and believed in them at some point. Voldemort and the Death Eaters hated anything Muggle. Severus must’ve had some kind of feelings towards Muggles.


Did feelings, thoughts, beliefs like that just go away? Did people stop believing in stuff they had been told to believe?


What if they did still believe those things? Could they really care about him? Could he handle knowing they believed all that? Could he accept it enough to still go with them, with Severus, his guardian?


Harry dropped his head and shook it again.


“Rebenok?”


Harry looked over his shoulder at the vampire. Alexei had a look of comfort but he also looked worried and sad about something. He turned slowly and leaned back against the railing, crossing his arms.


“What is wrong?” Alexei asked, coming closer.


Harry shrugged, but didn’t speak.


“Harry?” Alexei pushed.


Harry bit his lip and gazed at the concerned vampire. He was preoccupied by his confusion but he could also tell something was wrong. Alexei was troubled by something yet he was asking about Harry first. Whatever was wrong must not be too bad.


“Can people change?” Harry asked. “The things people believe, can they change that?”


Alexei sighed. “You’re talking about Lucius and the Malfoys’ beliefs about Muggles?”


Harry just looked at him.


“Do you think people can change, that Lucius and Severus can change?”


“I know they can. They have, towards me at least, but that doesn’t mean they don’t still believe these things,” Harry said, moving to sit against a wall.


“True,” Alexei said, joining Harry at the wall. “You have to remember something. Lucius and Severus and their parents grew up in vastly different worlds than yours. Things that are unacceptable now were acceptable then. It was the norm. Lucius’ father lived in a time where blood purity mattered and he grew up with this system. Then he did what all parents do. He passed on the family values and beliefs because they were what he believed. He lived in an age where there was no opposition to these things because that’s just how it was. The same is for Lucius and Draco. Lucius was raised on certain things and he wanted to raise his son the same way. The only difference in they were entering an age where things were changing, their family values and beliefs were being challenged, and they now had to make choices.”


Harry glanced down at his feet, contemplating.


“The beliefs of the human race change all the time,” Alexei added. “Trust me. I’ve seen decades of beliefs and they are always changing and evolving.”


Harry met his eyes. “Have you changed things you’ve believed?”


Alexei gave a small smile. “I’ve been alive a long time, rebenok. I've had to and I will have to continue.”


Harry nodded in understanding. “Do I get to know what’s going on now?”


The vampire blinked at him, shocked.


“I could tell something was wrong as soon as I saw you.”


Harry felt his heart skip and stomach jump as Alexei’s face became sad and grave. Alexei let out a deep breath before answering, making Harry tense.


“It’s Lucius,” Alexei said. “He’s been arrested and has been sent to Azkaban.”


Harry’s heart stopped as his world shattered.