Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

Warning: Terrible actions taken by Sirius and Lupin to torture Harry.

Chapter 22

Harry stopped his trek to Defence when he spotted Severus and Alexei at the end of an off-branching corridor. He frowned at the almost frantic body language and distressed expressions of the two men. He wished he could hear what they were saying. There was obviously something going on. He stared, trying to figure it out. He was startled when both men turned to look at him suddenly. He stared back with wide eyes.


“To class, Mr. Potter,” Severus said.


“Yes, sir,” Harry said and hurried up the next staircase. He turned down the corridor that took him to the Defence class and walked in, taking his seat. No one else was there yet so he pulled out his book to read. He did his best to note the spells he thought could be useful, particularly for whatever the Third Task would be. Like the First Task, they had been told nothing about the Final Task. They were only told that it would test everything about them. It would test their magical abilities, physical strength, and mental strength.


Whatever it was, he knew he wasn’t ready for it.


He paused in his reading, feeling a strange prickling on the back of his neck. Someone had come into the room and was standing at the back. He slowly sat up straight and put a hand surreptitiously on his wand.


Rather than relax, he tensed more when he heard the familiar thump that was part of Moody’s gait. He kept his hand on his wand as he looked up at Moody.


“Potter,” the man growled, his tongue poking out.


“Professor,” he said tightly.


“Bit early.” Harry didn’t respond. He watched Moody amble to the front of the room and lean against the teacher’s desk. “Studying up for the task?”


Harry frowned in slight confusion.


Moody gave a strange side smirk. “Third Task, boy. You gotta be ready.”


“Not quite sure what I need to be ready for,” Harry finally spoke.


“Everything,” Moody growled just as the bell rang and students began to flood into the room.


Harry only half listened to the lesson, his stomach twisting with unexplainable anxiety.




“Something’s wrong,” Harry said to Fred and George. They were sitting in his dorm in the Tower. The other boys from his dorm were outside at the Quidditch Pitch. He was sitting on his bed while the twins lounged on Ron’s forever empty bed. Not much of Ron was left there as his belongings had been sent back to the Burrow after his death. All that remained was a picture on the end table of Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and Ron’s Chudley Cannons blanket on the bed.


Everything else was gone, just like Ron.


“Isn’t there always?” Fred grumbled.


While the twins were still jokesters and pranksters, they were nothing like they had been before Ron’s murder.


“What specifically?” George asked.


“Alexei and Severus seemed worried when I saw them earlier. Something is definitely going on,” Harry said. “Then Moody, as usual.”


“Alexei hasn’t had time to look into Crouch Jr.?” George said and Harry shook his head.


“Too busy with Lucius’ case,” Harry said and sighed. “I just want this year to be over already. I’m done with all of this.”


The twins just nodded.


An envelope popped into existence then, falling on Harry’s bed in front of him. The three of them frowned. Nothing was written on the envelope. Harry glanced at the twins, the both of them taking out their wands. They waved over the envelope, doing various spells and scans. Eventually they stopped and shrugged.


“It seems to be safe,” Fred said, but they both kept their wands out.


Harry gingerly picked up the letter, nervous that it could be harmful. He tore it open and pulled out the single piece of parchment. It only had two short sentences on it.


We have everything figured out. We’re coming for you.


S&R


Harry handed it to the twins.


“Any idea what it means?” George asked and Harry shook his head.


“Not a clue.”


The room was then lit up with a bright blue as a Patronus materialized in front of them. Harry recognized the fox immediately.


“It’s Alexei’s,” Harry told Fred and George.


Harry, come to the headmaster’s office immediately,” Alexei’s voice said and the Patronus disappeared.


Harry’s stomach twisted. Something was seriously wrong.


“We’ll come with you,” Fred said as George nodded in agreement.


The three Gryffindors hurried up to Dumbledore’s office. Harry came to a stop with the twins behind him as they entered the room. He scanned, taking in everyone that was there and trying to figure out what was happening.


Dumbledore was standing behind his desk, his face grave. Alexei was just beside the doorway. Severus was on one end of Dumbledore’s desk with what looked like two Ministry officials behind him. Sirius and Lupin were standing near the window. Harry couldn’t help but notice their smug expressions. He finally walked slowly the rest of the way into the room, letting the twins in as well.


“Harry,” Sirius said, stepping closer.


Harry ignored his godfather, looking, instead, between Severus and Alexei.


“Severus is being arrested,” Alexei said quietly and Harry’s heart came to a painful stop.


“What are you talking about?” Harry said.


“It would seem,” Dumbledore interjected, “that the Ministry received an anonymous letter regarding details of Narcissa Malfoy’s death.”


“Meaning?” Harry asked even though he was sure he knew.


“The anonymous person is implying Severus killed Narcissa,” Alexei explained.


“Are you insane?” Harry shouted angrily, making sure to cast a hard glare at Sirius and Lupin. Their smug looks faltered a little at his glare. He turned to his guardian. “Are you going to Azkaban too?”


Severus shook his head. “I am only being arrested under suspicion. If, after the investigation, I am found guilty, I will then go to Azkaban. Until the investigation is over, I will be in a holding cell at the Ministry.”


Harry nodded, trying to hold back anger and tears. Severus sighed and gestured Harry closer, kneeling in front of the child.


“Everything will be alright,” Severus said. “We know there’s nothing for them to find.”


“But you’re leaving,” Harry said. “I’m going to be here alone.”


“You still have Alexei here. He is not leaving. He’s going to stay close by to make sure you are safe. I won’t be away for long.”


Harry nodded again, trying to understand and accept it all.


“We’re here too, kid,” Sirius spoke up and Harry glared at him again.


“Then leave,” Harry growled, ignoring the shocked look on Sirius’ face. “What if something happens?” he said to Severus.


“You have Alexei here,” Severus said again. “You also have the twins. Stay close to them.”


Harry nodded. “I will.”


Severus rested a hand on Harry’s cheek. “I will come back.”


“I know.”


Severus stood then and walked out of the office with the two Ministry people. The twins walked over to Harry, clasping his shoulders in comfort.


“You can’t do anything?” Harry asked Dumbledore.


Dumbledore sighed and sat in his chair. “Unfortunately, there was nothing. I can, however, help provide the proof to clear Severus.”


“Good,” Harry said quietly. “Thanks,” he added and Dumbledore inclined his head in response.


“Perhaps you should return to the Tower with the twins,” Alexei suggested. “I’ll make sure I clear Severus’ case as soon as possible.”


“What about Lucius?” Harry asked, ignoring the very loud and clear choking noise coming from Sirius behind him.


“I think I am actually close on his case as well,” Alexei said and Harry gave a small smile. “I will bring them home.”


“I know,” Harry said again. “I’ll see you later. I’ll come down after dinner.”


The vampire smiled. “Sounds good to me, rebenok.”


Harry and the twins left the office, slowly wandering back to Gryffindor Tower.


“You okay?” Fred asked and Harry nodded. 


“I’m okay. Alexei will help and get the case thrown out.”


“Yeah, the professor will be back in no time,” George said encouragingly.


“Back to terrorize the Hogwarts population,” Fred added and Harry laughed. It was still true. Even though he now saw Severus differently, the man still terrified ninety-five percent of the student body.


“Harry!”


The three of them stopped and turned at the shout. Sirius and Lupin were rushing towards them. Harry frowned to himself. What if Sirius was seen? He was still wanted by the Ministry.


“Someone might see you,” he said coolly.


Sirius grinned smugly. “Been using a Disillusionment Charm. I essentially blend into the surroundings and no one can see me. Pretty cool, huh?”


“Sure,” Harry said shortly before turning to keep walking.


“Hey, wait, kid,” Sirius said, reaching out and grabbing Harry’s arm. Harry tensed and immediately pulled his arm away, an involuntary reaction to the unexpected touch. Sirius’ eyebrows pulled together in apparent confusion. “What’s going on? I thought we could hang out now the bat’s gone.”


Harry’s own eyebrows furrowed but in anger as he glowered at his godfather. “I know you sent that ‘anonymous’ letter and I want nothing to do with you,” he glanced at Lupin and added, “Either of you.”


“Harry, you don’t have to act like this anymore. You’re free,” Sirius said, trying to move closer only to have Harry move back and away.


“Free of what exactly?” Harry hissed. “Someone who was helping me? Someone who cares about me?”


Sirius scoffed. “All a load of bull, kid. He never cared. He doesn’t care about anyone. He can’t, he doesn’t feel anything.”


Harry hardened. “Stay away from me,” he spat.


“Harry!” Sirius grabbed him again and he jerked away violently.


“Don’t touch me,” he said coldly.


“What is wrong with you?” Sirius said almost angrily.


“What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with you? You got my guardian arrested. You can’t even try and let me be happy because of your bigotry and stupid hatred that has no reasoning behind it,” Harry snapped.


“He’s evil, Harry, they all are and we’re going to fix whatever they’ve done to you,” Sirius said.


“There’s nothing to fix,” Harry said. “Now leave me alone.”


“Don’t you walk away from me,” Sirius growled, grabbing and yanking Harry’s arm again.


This time when Harry pulled away, he drew his wand and so did the twins. Sirius stared in shock. “I said don’t touch me.”


With a final glare, Harry and the twins turned and walked away.




Harry sat curled up in his chair working, once again, on his Potions project. Alexei was on the sofa, also working on something for Lucius’ case. It was silent except for their quills and the fire. Harry tapped his page, distracted by everything and completely lost as to what to do on his assignment.


“Rebenok?”


Harry looked up at the vampire. “I’m okay.”


Alexei gave a small lopsided smile and put his work aside. “I don’t think you are,” Harry opened his mouth to argue, “but that’s alright.”


Harry sighed and laid his quill down, still caught between his fingers.


“What is it?”


Harry shrugged. “I don’t know. Nothing…everything.” He sighed again. “I don’t know. Sirius, he…I just can’t believe what he did. I don’t understand. I thought he would be at least a little bit happy for me. I know he hates Severus but Severus is helping me the way Sirius can’t right now. It’s like he doesn’t want me happy or to have someone taking care of me. He’s not who I thought he was.”


“Some people can’t move past their personal barriers and have selfish reasons behind what they do,” Alexei said. “You can’t let him stop you from being happy. He can’t separate you and Severus.”


“I think he’s going to try,” Harry said quietly.


“But it will only work if you let it,” Alexei said firmly, holding the boy’s gaze.


The sudden pounding on the door made Harry jump and Alexei seethed silently to himself. Everything that was happening, particularly with that godfather of Harry’s, was undoing much of the progress they had all made. Harry was jumpy, silent, and far more doubtful regarding anything anyone said. It was also obvious he was falling back to how he had been emotionally after the death of Ron, if what Severus had told him was accurate.


“It’s okay, rebenok,” Alexei said and stood to answer the door. He instantly glared once the door was open. “Leave,” he demanded shortly.


Sirius just glared back. “I want to see Harry.”


“Not on your life,” Alexei hissed.


“You can’t stop me,” Sirius growled. “He’s my godson.”


“He’s my temporary ward until his legal guardian can return to his role,” Alexei said. “I actually hold more power in this situation than you do.”


From inside the room, Harry looked at Alexei in surprise. He didn’t know any of that.


“You can’t keep him from me,” Sirius said angrily. “I will break this guardianship and protect Harry. He will never see any of you ever again. I will take him out of this school if I have to.”


Alexei’s eyes flashed and he bared his teeth menacingly. Sirius took a physical step back. “I’d like to see you try,” and he slammed the door shut, locking it. He turned to look at Harry who had sunk despondently into the chair. The light from the fire also glinted off the tears trailing down the child’s face.


“Oh, rebenok,” he whispered, sighing sadly.




Almost a week had passed since Severus’ arrest. Harry had spent all that time in classes and in Severus’ rooms with Alexei. The entire time was also spent dodging Sirius and Lupin who were determined to talk to him. He refused, not wanting to hear them say he was being brainwashed or poisoned or whatever. He was sick of hearing how the three most important people in his life were evil, using him, and didn’t really care about him. He had enough stupid doubts without Sirius and Lupin making them worse.


He knew how he felt about Severus, Lucius, and Alexei. He also knew how they said they felt about him but he couldn’t stop himself from questioning it all. He had never had anyone, how could he now have three people? That little voice just wouldn’t let him accept it and now, with Sirius and Lupin, that little voice was slowly getting louder.


He was in Severus’ rooms and about to head to the library. He shoved his things in his bag and lifted it onto his shoulder as Alexei walked over.


Harry stared at him curiously and Alexei frowned. “What is it?” the vampire asked.


“Last week, when Sirius came here, you told him you’re my temporary guardian until Severus comes back,” Harry said.


Alexei nodded. “I did.”


“Is that true?”


Alexei smiled. “It is. It’s a small clause we wrote into the guardianship. If, for any reason, Severus cannot act as your guardian, it is temporarily transferred to Lucius. If neither of them can act as your guardian, it is temporarily transferred to me. We wanted to ensure you would always be with one of us and safe.”


Harry gave a small smile, unsure what to say.


“Now,” Alexei said, changing the subject, “where are you off to?”


“Library,” Harry said. “Trying to figure out this Potions project.”


“Have you asked Severus for help?”


Harry shook his head. “It feels like cheating. He’s my guardian. It’s like favouritism.”


“You can still get his help, child,” Alexei said. “He knows how to remain professional. Besides, as both your guardian and professor, he is meant to help you if you are struggling. He’ll give you help, not the answer.”


Harry bit his lip. “Are you sure?”


Alexei nodded. “Of course. Ask for help when he comes home.”


“Okay, maybe I will,” Harry said.


Alexei gave a quiet sigh. “You’re not going alone, are you?”


“No, I’m going with the twins. I’m meeting them in the Entrance Hall.”


“Good,” Alexei said. “As you know, I am gone for a while today so make sure you stay with the twins.” 


Harry nodded. Today was the day Alexei and Dumbledore were bringing the release papers for Severus. Alexei also had his final meeting with the Wizengamot about Lucius. Today would determine if Lucius was ever coming home.


“Do you think we’re going to win?” Harry asked.


“I know we will,” Alexei said confidently. “I was only two votes away last time and with everything I have for today, there’s no way they’ll say no.”


Harry smiled, hoping the vampire was right.


“Alright, I have to go,” Alexei said. “You’ll stay with the twins and you have your pendant?”


Harry nodded. “I will and I do.”


“Good. I’ll be back as soon as I can.”


“Good luck.”


Alexei smiled back as he disappeared through the Floo. Harry left the rooms and started for the Entrance Hall. He wound his way through the maze of corridors that was the dungeons. He had just turned the last corner to get to the stairs that would bring him out of the dungeons when he was grabbed from behind. Dragged roughly, he soon found himself in a random, empty classroom.


He immediately pulled his wand, spinning to find his attackers. He was shocked when he found himself looking at Sirius and Lupin. He dropped his arm as his face creased with confusion.


“What the hell are you doing?” he said.


“Helping you, kid,” Sirius said.


Harry frowned. “What are you talking about?”


“Harry, you can talk to us and trust us,” Lupin said. “We only want to help and get you away from these people.”


Harry looked between Sirius and Lupin with utter confusion.


“Harry, it’s okay now,” Sirius said, stepping closer and grasping Harry’s shoulders. “You’re safe.”


Harry pushed Sirius’ hands off. “Safe from what exactly?”


“Those snakes and the vampire,” Sirius said.


“You mean the ones taking care of me?” Harry said, getting angry.


“We know that’s what you think but that’s just because of the spell or potion, or whatever they’ve done to you,” Lupin said. “We’re going to find out what they’ve done and break it.”


“Then you can forget all about them,” Sirius said.


Harry stared at them in angry disbelief. “Not a bloody chance.” He turned back to the door and tried to open it. It was locked. He tried using Alohomora but it remained shut. “Let me out.”


“I’m sorry, kid, but we can’t do that,” Sirius said and Harry began to turn again. He didn’t get far before he was hit with his godfather’s Stunner and everything went dark.




Harry groaned as he woke and began to panic even before he opened his eyes as he realized he was restrained. His eyes flew open. He was sat in a chair from one of the desks, his arms bound to the armrests and his ankles to the chair legs. He looked up and around, instantly spotting Sirius and Lupin to his left at a desk that had several vials on it. They were all filled with different coloured liquids.


“What are you doing?” Harry said, his heart pounding with anxiety.


“We’re just trying to help you,” Lupin said as they turned from the desk.


“But there’s nothing wrong,” Harry said.


Sirius came over then, holding a vial of dark green liquid. Harry tensed as he stared at it.


“Just stay calm. It’ll all be over soon. We just have to find the right counter,” Sirius said and approached Harry with the potion.


He leaned back as far as he could. “What is that? What will it do to me?”


“Don’t worry,” Lupin said. “None of these will harm you if they are not the right counter.”


Harry continued to stare fearfully. He didn’t believe that for a second.


“Open your mouth,” Sirius said but Harry shook his head. Sirius and Lupin both grabbed him and pried his mouth open, quickly pouring the unknown potion down his throat.


“You’re insane!” Harry yelled. “You’ll kill me!”


“Don’t be so dramatic,” Sirius said. “Now, how do you feel?”


Harry glared and was about to say something scathing when a jolt of excruciating pain ran through his chest. He screamed in pain, pulling viciously against his restraints.


“What…did you do?” he breathed.


“You’ll be okay, it’ll pass,” Sirius said.


“That wasn’t the right one,” Lupin said. “Get the next one.”


“Get away from me,” Harry snapped, crying out again as more pain tore through him.


Despite his pain, the process was repeated. They forced his mouth open and forced him to swallow the next potion. His reaction to this one wasn’t any better. His skin felt like it was slowly being burned. He screamed again and tears began to fall.


“Please stop,” he whispered.


Sirius looked at him sadly. “We can’t, not until we fix whatever Snape did to you. We will get you out of the guardianship and away from him. He won’t be able to hurt you anymore.”


“He doesn’t,” Harry sobbed. “He loves me.”


“He can’t,” Sirius said, just before making him take another potion.


Harry waited for more pain, but none came. He looked at Sirius and Lupin in question.


“You’re crying blood, but don’t worry, it’ll stop,” Lupin said casually.


Harry let out another sob and pulled at his bonds again. He was terrified. They could kill him with all these potions. There was no one to help him.


Another potion. He cried out again as it caused several gashes to appear on his arms and thighs.


And it kept going. For how long, Harry had no idea. There were so many potions and he knew they were killing him. He felt so much pain. He felt all the gashes; he felt like he was burning; he felt like there were little knives in his bloodstream; he felt like his heart would explode; he felt like his insides were melting; he felt like his skull was fracturing into tiny pieces; he felt like each bone was made of jagged ice.


And then the spells started.


More wounds, voices in his head, Ron’s dead body in his vision, fear encasing his heart, his lungs unable to fully expand, his ears ringing…


He had no idea what was happening anymore. He didn’t know Alexei had felt the pendant getting hot, telling him Harry was in trouble. He didn’t know Alexei had freed Severus. He didn’t know Alexei had rushed back to Hogwarts and found him. He didn’t know Alexei had stopped Sirius and Lupin, and untied him. He didn’t know Alexei held him on the floor in his lap.


He only knew one thing.


“I want to die.”