Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 28

Harry sat on his bed in Gryffindor Tower, staring at the letters from Sirius. He had yet to open them, unsure he wanted to know what his godfather had been saying. However, with the Final Task being the next day, something was urging him to read them. It could be the knowledge that this could be his last chance to read them. Nothing could guarantee that he would survive the task or whatever Moody had planned. He had been lucky in the last two tasks. That luck wouldn’t necessarily hold through another task.


He sighed, tapping one letter on the others in agitation. He didn’t know what to do.


It didn’t help that things Sirius may have written could be true. Things were off with Severus and Lucius and Alexei now, ever since his foray into Moody’s office. Severus had yet to return the map and his cloak, meaning the man still didn’t trust him.


Not that he really blamed his guardian. No matter what he thought about Moody, he had broken into a professor’s office. He sighed again and passed one hand over his eye. He looked at the letter he held, staring at his name in Sirius’ messy handwriting. He shook his head and flipped it over. Finally deciding, he tore into the envelope and pulled out the folded parchment.


Harry,


I heard you’re holing up with Snape. What are you thinking? If you needed help that badly, why didn’t you come to me? I’m your godfather. What kind of help could you need anyway that you go running to Snape? Whatever’s going on, I want it to stop now.


Sirius


Well, it wasn’t as terrible as he expected, but he was sure they weren’t all like this one. Even though it was fairly tame, he still found himself feeling hurt. Sirius had asked what kind of help he needed. Was Sirius really that oblivious to everything he had gone through? Everything with the Dursleys, Ron, Draco, the tournament…


Breathing deeply, he put the letter aside and opened another one.


Harry,


I don’t understand what’s going on with you. Snape, Malfoy, a vampire? Who are you? I don’t even recognize my own godson anymore! I can’t believe you would do this to your parents…to your father. You remember you’re a Potter, right? You remember the sacrifice your parents made for you? if you do, you have a really poor way of repaying them. If this is how you’re going to act and the people you’re going to associate with…call ‘family’…then maybe you should drop your last name. maybe you parents should be here instead.


Sirius


Harry threw the page away as though it had burned him. It almost felt like it had. His eyes were stinging from the tears that had quickly begun to fall. His heart was pounding out of his chest. His stomach ached, making him feel ill. His breath came in stuttering gasps, each catching in his throat.


Everything inside him was spinning out of control. With shaking hands, he started to viciously tear the remaining, unopened letters. They rained down in chunks and shreads onto his bed. Drawing in a break and shaking his head, tears still pouring down his cheeks, he jumped to his feet. He couldn’t stay there with the letters, or whaat remained of them


He rushed from the Tower. He didn’t pay attention to anyone he passed. Right then, nothing matered. Not Moody, not the tournament, not his nightmares…nothing. All he cared about was what Sirius had written and now getting to the people he knew loved him.


He burst into Severus’ rooms and didn’t give any of the men time to react as he threw his arms around his guardian’s waist, and buried his face in the man’s chest, sobbing.


After a moment of surprise, Severus put his own arms around the child. He looked at Lucius and Alexei who were on the sofa, their expressions full of confusion.


“Harry, what’s wrong?” Severus asked, rubbing the boy’s bad. The sobs were tearing at him. What had happened? Harry had been pretty distant with them lately, so what had him running in so distraught?


Lucius got to his feet and stood next to the pair, putting his hand on Harry’s back as well. “Harry?”


It was several minutes later when Harrry finally turned his tear-streaked face towards Lucius. The man’s heart broke at the pain in the boy’s face. They hadn’t seen this in Harry in quite some time.


“I read them,” Harry whispered, his voice catching and making it barely audible.


“Read what, rebenok?” Alexei asked gently from the sofa.


“The letters,” Harry said, his eyes clenching shut as though he was experiencing pain.


Severus let his own eyes close as he realized what Harry was talking about. He never should have given the child those letters. He didn’t say anything. He could only imagine the things Black had written in those letters and, right now, nothing he said would fix anything Harry had read. He just held the child tighter and waited for the pain to lessen.




“I’m not deciding, but if I agreed to the adoption, do I change my name?” Harry asked. It was some time later. He had finally calmed down and the tears stopped. It didn’t hurt as much, but the pain was definitely still there. His heart stung, but he was doing his best to get through it. He hadn’t told his guardian or the others about what he had read in the letters yet. Instead, they had all come to sit in silence. Harry sat in his usual chair after spending time on the sofa where Lucius and Severus remained. Alexei was on his feet, standing next to the fireplace and slowly swirling a glass of blood.


Severus glanced at his charge in surprise. “Changing your name is your choice. It is not necessary or mandatory unless you wish to make the change.”


Harry just nodded and continued to stare into the empty fireplace. He contemplated the upcoming day, sitting in his chair. He really wasn’t ready for this even if he had managed to survive this far. Granted, he hadn’t been ready for the others either.


“What are you thinking about?” the professor asked.


“Tomorrow.”


“What are you most worried about?” Lucius asked.


Harry thought for a few moments before responding. “Not knowing,” he said and the three men looked at him curiously. “I don’t know what’s going to happen once I’m in the maze. I’m afraid of Moody and whatever trap there is, but I’m more afraid of what the maze is going to do to me. What inside me will it use? How will it change me? Will it be permanent? What will it make me do? I don’t want to lose who I am in there.”


“You have some things you can hold onto,” Lucius said. “It will be hard, but you have memories you can pull up to remember yourself.”


“Will that work?” Harry said.


“There are no guarantees,” Severus said. “It is a dangerous maze and you will be in there with dangerous people.”


“You think I’ll change?” Harry said worriedly.


Severus sighed, but looked at him gently. “I know you will, but I also know you will never lose yourself. You have plenty of strength to draw on from us and your friends. Plus, you’ll have Ron. You may change in there, but you’ll come back.”


Harry gave a small smile, warmed by the man’s faith in him. He was afraid of how the maze might change him. He was afraid of what it might make him do. He didn’t want to be someone Severus and the others would be disappointed in. He didn’t want to lose their pride or affection.


“I will be there with you under Disillusionment,” Alexei said and Harry looked at him, surprised. “Of course, neither of these two can be there with you and I technically can’t either. We refuse to let you stand down there alone, though, so I will be there until you enter the maze.”


Harry nodded gratefully. It would be so helpful to have at least one of them at his side.


“It’s getting late,” Severus said and Harry felt a pit form in his stomach. “Perhaps you should head to bed?”


Harry felt his face fall. Going to bed meant he would be closer to the Final Task.


“Can I…can I stay up a little longer?” Harry asked, wanting to delay as long as possible.


All three gazed at him affectionately. None of them could imagine how the child was feeling. They were all terrified for him as well though. They were trying to avoid thinking of the worst-case scenarios that were more than possible. They couldn’t imagine losing the boy.


“Of course,” Severus said and motioned for Harry to join them on the sofa. Harry did so almost immediately, settling in between Severus and Lucius. He leaned into Severus’ side as the man draped his arm around the boy’s shoulders, and Lucius held the boy’s leg in comfort. “You’ll be alright, child,” Severus murmured.


“You can’t be sure,” Harry said quietly.


“We are sure,” Lucius said.


“You’ll be okay,” Severus whispered again, resting his head on Harry’s. “You’ll be okay.


Harry just stayed quiet so his guardians—his family—could reassure themselves.


“Just come back to us,” Lucius said.


Harry, again, stayed silent, this time with resolve. 


He would come back.




Harry stood at his entrance to the maze, trying to control his shaking. He knew he wasn’t prepared for this, for whatever was going to happen inside that maze. He couldn’t hear a word Dumbledore was saying as his eyes scanned the crowd. He instantly spotted Severus and Lucius. He felt slightly better seeing them there, but only slightly as neither man was doing a good job of hiding their own worry. He swallowed thickly and tried to focus on the invisible hand that had landed on his shoulder. He was the only one standing at his entrance without someone with him. Cedric had his father, Krum had Karkaroff, and Fleur had Madam Maxime. However, it wasn’t completely true; he wasn’t alone. Alexei stood there with him under a Disillusionment Charm, invisible to everyone. He was grateful to have the vampire there since there was no one else that could be. He let his eyes close as he tried to relax under the gentle comfort.


“Champions!”


His eyes flew open at Dumbledore’s shout and found the headmaster was gesturing for all the Champions to join him near the podium. He left Alexei’s side, following the other Champions. Dumbledore pulled them into a tight circle.


“Be prepared, Champions. This is not an ordinary maze. You may find things changing in there, including yourselves. You will change, as will anything else in there. Be strong, be brave, be aware.”


Harry swallowed painfully again, backing up to Alexei who instantly began to rub his back reassuringly.


“Mr. Viktor Krum will enter the maze first as he is currently in first place. He will be followed by Mr. Diggory and Mr. Potter, followed then by Ms. Delacour,” Dumbledore announced to the crowd. “Champions ready.”


The Champions all turned to their entrances. Harry stared into the dark misty void and had to fight the strong urge to turn and run. Nothing good was going to happen in that maze. He could almost hear strange sounds coming from the mist and strange feelings were stirring inside him as he continued to look into the darkness.


“You’ll be okay,” Alexei’s whisper came from behind him, repeating Severus’ words from the previous night. “Just focus on getting through the maze and, remember, there is absolutely no shame should you need to be pulled from the maze without completing it. Just be safe and be smart.”


Harry nodded subtly.


“All we want is for you to come back,” Alexei said. “Win if you can and if you want, but only if you come back to us.”


Harry jumped at the cannon fire, signaling Krum’s entrance. He watched the Durmstrang student walk into the maze, but not before Krum turned to look at him. Harry’s stomach jumped as he noticed the fogginess in Krum’s eyes. Something was wrong.


“He’s cursed,” Alexei whispered. “Stay away from him. Do not engage with him or anyone else unless you have no choice.”


Harry nodded again. He couldn’t contain his second jump as the cannon shot again to signal his and Cedric’s entrances into the maze.


“Turn left,” Alexei said. “Good luck and come back.”


“I will,” Harry mumbled and slowly walked into the misty maze.


Once he was a few feet in, the hedges came together behind him and sealed off his entrance. He was in total darkness and total silence. He stood still for quite some time, listening to his own breathing, pounding heart, and light rustling in the hedges. His eyes darted around the darkness as he tried to quell his fear.


He slowly settled slightly and pulled out his wand, illuminating it so he could actually see. Up ahead a few feet, there was a three-way split. Alexei had told him to go left so he began to slowly walk. He did his best to keep his breathing quiet and steady, both so he could hear and so others couldn’t hear him. He had no idea what was in the maze in terms of creatures and he had no idea what the maze itself was capable of.


He reached the split and carefully peered around the corners before heading down the left path. His fingers were already starting to cramp from how tightly he was holding his wand. He swung around when he heard louder rustling behind him, but there appeared to be nothing and no one there.


He took a deep breath and wished someone was with him. Severus, Lucius, Alexei, Draco, Ron…anyone. He wasn’t sure he could handle this alone. He wasn’t as strong and brave as everyone thought. He almost always had someone else with him and he needed that now. He needed someone.


He started back down his path again. It was a long, straight path and he couldn’t tell where it headed or ended. He kept his eyes peeled and his ears open. He needed to be on guard for anything. He needed to get back. He needed to go home.


Look out.


He stopped abruptly at the warning. It sounded like Ron, but what was he warning against? He turned and there were no other Champions.


Spiders.


A small part of him snorted internally, fondly remembering Ron’s fear. Then he readied himself and inched forward. After a few steps, hedges on his right parted and he was instantly faced with the same giant spiders they dealt with in second year. He quickly fired off as many spells as he could to fight back the horde. He cringed at the screeches they made as they were blasted, stunned, and incinerated. After several tense minutes, he had taken care of all the spiders.


He took a few deep breaths as he recovered. He looked across the opening that held the spiders and noticed a path on the other side. He looked down the path he was currently on, contemplating which way to go. He bit his lip, nervous about where his decision could lead him. Eventually he headed past all the spider corpses. He wasn’t sure what it was, but something was telling him to take the new path.


He still walked slowly and still stayed alert. As he got further down the path, it seemed to grow colder and darker. Anxiety filled him as he began to shiver and it became so dark his light only illuminated his feet. He couldn’t see a thing, it was dead silent, and he was quickly turning numb. It was getting harder to grasp his wand. He couldn’t see in the dark, but he knew his breath would be visible otherwise.


Then the screaming started and all his worst memories came to the surface. He gasped aloud as Ron’s body appeared before his eyes. Tears sprang to his eyes.


This was all familiar, but it couldn’t be possible. There’s no way they would have Dementors in the maze, so what was happening and what was he supposed to do?


He gasped for breath as the air froze it in his chest before he could draw full breaths. He fell to his knees, shaking violently from the cold. It was getting hard to focus. He didn’t know what to do. After everything, was this really how he was going to die? He would freeze to death in a stupid maze?


Get up! Ron yelled at him.


I can’t, Harry thought. Cold…don’t know what to do.


Yes, you do! Think!


Harry groaned as he folded in on himself. What was Ron talking about? He fought to focus through the cold. It was cold, dark, he could only see all his bad memories…he knew it was the effects of Dementors, but there were none. How did he fight Dementors? It was hard to remember.


He couldn’t feel his wand in his hand anymore, but he tried to grasp it tightly. The cold was lifting in his mind just enough for the spell to come through. He forced thoughts and memories of Severus, Lucius, and Alexei to come to the forefront. They flickered, struggling to overtake all the trauma, but he managed to remember and hold onto those happy feelings. The feelings of happiness, of safety, of love.


He mustered up as much strength as he could. “Expecto Patronum,” he ground out.


There was a delay, but then his wand lit up and his familiar blue stag burst out. The moment it formed, the air began to warm and his horrible memories slowly dissipated. He stayed knelt on the ground for some time as he regained feeling and focus. Eventually he was able to get to his feet and looked around as his Patronus stood nearby. The path he was on was long and straight with no splits that he could see.


Resolve rebuilt, he moved forward. He had been in this spot for far too long. He kept his Patronus out for a little longer to chase away the remaining cold and tormented memories. Things remained uncomfortably calm and quiet for quite a while. The path also remained straight. 


After a few more long minutes, he cancelled his Patronus just as he came up to a right turn. Like last time, he slowly peeked around the corner looking for threats. He saw nothing and began to turn the corner only to be stopped when he saw a wand light up ahead.


Nox,” he quickly whispered and pushed himself as far into the hedge wall as he could. He watched the best he could through the dark. The wand light grew steadily closer and he was eventually able to see a figure. It was fairly small and he knew it was Fleur. He debated if he should reveal himself. Was she dangerous?


She’s safe right now, Ron assured him.


He relit his wand and stepped back onto the path. Fleur’s wand was instantly pointed at him. He raised his hands.


“It’s me,” he whispered. “It’s Harry.”


Fleur lowered her wand slightly and Harry was able to see her face. She was pale and had some small cuts. One above her eye was bleeding freely. Her eyes were full of fear. She had faced something more than spiders.


“Stay away from the others,” she said shakily. “They’ve changed. Something’s wrong.”


“Are you okay?” he asked.


She just stared at him for a while. “Just stay away from them,” she finally said before stepping around him and heading the way he had come.


He watched her until she faded into the dark, then continued on his way. he knew Krum was already cursed, but Cedric? Was it the maze or had Krum done something to him? He honestly didn’t want to find out. He just wanted to find the stupid cup already and get out. He was sure they hadn’t been in the maze long, but it felt like hours.


He continued walking, only adding to the feeling of having done so for hours. Every now and then, he came across branching off paths and had to decide which way to go. He saw no creatures, no other Champions, and no indication of which way would take him to the centre of the maze.


He turned a corner and came across another fork. He groaned in frustration, spinning around looking for a clue.


He had almost made a full turn when something registered, and he looked behind himself, again, at the way he had come. He frowned. Where there had been a path, there was now a solid hedge wall. Suddenly feeling anxious, he gripped his wand and faced the new fork.


Except it was gone. A hedge wall now blocked what had been two branching paths.


He was trapped. There were no paths or openings. He spun somewhat frantically, hoping a path would appear as suddenly as they had disappeared.


Calm down, Ron said and he stopped turning in useless circles. He shut his eyes briefly and took a few deep breaths. This wasn’t that bad. Once calmer, he opened his eyes again, but almost began to panic instantly.


In those few seconds, a strange mist had filled the area around him. He had no idea what it was, but it swirled around and up his body. As it reached his face, he instantly felt it affecting him. His vision grew blurry, his eyes heavy, and his mind foggy. It was quickly getting hard to think. He shook his head and rubbed his eyes, backing up fruitlessly to escape the mist. He soon backed into a hedge wall, but he didn’t move.


He tried to look around, but found his ability to see was nearly gone. His heart started pounding painfully with fear. What was he supposed to do? How did he fix this?


What was happening?


Where was he?


He found he could no longer remember where he was or why he was there. Why was he outside? What was he touching? Leaves and branches?


He needed to find something, but what? And why did he need it?


To get back, a voice said.


Get back? Get back where? Who had said that?


He grasped the leaves behind him tensely, fearing the situation he was in. He jumped and raised his wand when he heard soft steps somewhere to his right.


“Who’s there?”


No response. What should he do? What spells did he know?


“Who’s there?” he repeated more forcefully.


Still no response, but this time a strong wind blew across his face. It lasted a few seconds and, not long after it stopped, his vision slowly returned.


Through grainy eyes, he looked around for his company, keeping his wand raised. Eventually he could see fully and found Cedric standing to his right, two open paths behind him.


“Cedric?”


“You alright?” the Hufflepuff asked. “Had some pretty intense Forgetfulness air in here.”


“Is that what it was?”


“In a fashion,” Cedric said. “Modified to be airborne and have other effects.”


Harry just nodded, finally feeling all his senses return. He looked at Cedric warily, remembering what Fleur had said. The older boy didn’t seem bewitched, though, and he had just helped Harry.


“Find anything promising?” Harry asked, a little tense.


“Not unless you count Blast-Ended Skrewts promising,” Cedric said as he lifted the side of his shirt to show burnt flesh. Harry winced. “You?”


Harry shook his head. “Saw Fleur though. She had something had happened to you and Krum.”


“Not sure how she’d know,” Cedric said. “You’re the first one I’ve seen since coming in here.”


Harry just looked at him. He could easily be lying.


“Which way were you going?” Cedric asked, gesturing to the two paths.


“Hadn’t decided yet,” Harry said.


“Well, I just came from this one so shall we try the left?” Cedric suggested.


Harry wasn’t sure if they should stay together. It could be a trap. Although, it could be easier to be on guard rather than be caught by a potential sneak attack.


He grasped his wand and nodded. “Sure.”


So, they started walking in tense silence. Once again, it seemed like hours as they passed nothing but hedge walls. They were turning a corner when a loud scream rang out. They both stopped and looked in the direction with wide eyes even though there was just hedge. The scream had sounded close. Then there were red sparks in the sky, indicating someone needed help…someone needed to be removed from the maze.


“Had to be Fleur,” Cedric said and Harry nodded in agreement.


But what had hurt her?


“We should keep going,” Cedric said.


Krum’s coming, Ron said.


“Wait,” Harry said, continuing to stare at the hedge wall. “Something’s coming.”


“What?”


Harry motioned for quiet and watched the hedge, listening carefully. It was a long few minutes, but then there it was. The hedge began to shake. Harry raised his wand, ready to react. They watched and listened to the rustling, only to quickly jump aside to avoid the fireball that came through the hedge directly at them.


Landing on the ground hard, Harry quickly looked back at their attacker.


Krum.


He was covered in blood and his eyes were still clouded over. He was still being controlled.


“Be careful, he’s bewitched,” Harry called to Cedric. He quickly rolled out of the way of Krum’s Blasting Curse, returning his own Disarming Spell.


“Harry, get out of here!” Cedric shouted, bringing Krum’s undivided attention towards him. Harry frowned at the quick change of focus. It was like Krum had spotted his true target, but why would someone curse Krum to go after Cedric?


And Fleur, Ron said.


The other Champions. Had Krum been cursed to get everyone out of Harry’s way? If so, why? If the entire trap set up in this maze by the imposter wasn’t to kill him, what was it for?


He shook himself back to the situation to see Cedric narrowly avoid the Killing Curse sent his way. Harry jumped to his feet and cast another Disarming Spell. Krum paid Harry absolutely no mind, completely focused on taking Cedric out. All his spells were vicious, cruel, and harmful, if not deadly.


After dodging another Killing Curse, Cedric raised his wand again, angry. “That’s it,” he growled.


Harry’s eyes widened as he realized Cedric’s next spell was going to be just as vicious and harmful.


“Cedric, no!” he yelled. “He’s cursed! It’s not his fault!”


“He’s trying to kill me!”


“He’s cursed!”


Cedric hesitated, but then said, “Stupefy,” and Krum collapsed to the ground, unconscious.


Harry blew out a breath of relief and walked over to the Hufflepuff. As he did, vines began to snake out of the hedge and wrap around Krum. They slowly pulled him towards the wall.


“We can’t leave him like this,” Harry said and Cedric rolled his eyes. Pointing his wand to the sky, he said, “Periculum.” Red sparks burst out and exploded in the sky, indicating a Champion needed to be removed from the maze. Quickly, a strong wind picked up.


“Let’s go,” Cedric said and they took off running.


As they ran, vines attempted to grab them, constantly making them almost trip. It made Harry think they had to be close. They kept running, desperate to finish the game. No matter what, Hogwarts was the winner, but which House would gain victory? It had become a full-out race between them now, both wanting to end the tournament but also win for their House.


They glanced down branching paths as they ran, looking for the Triwizard Cup or at least a clue. They were both running out of breath, but kept running. It was time to end this. Moving so fast, it almost didn’t register with either of them that something was brightly glowing down the most recent branching path. They quickly stopped and turned, staring down the path.


There it was. The Triwizard Cup.


With a look at each other, they took off. They pushed and shoved each other, trying to get ahead even as they were tripped and scratched with hedges desperate to stop them. Finally, they got there…and they both stopped. 


They stared at the glowing cup and then at each other.


“Who gets it?” Cedric asked.


“You should,” Harry said. “Hufflepuff could use the win.”


“But you’d be the youngest winner ever.”


“I honestly don’t care. I just want to go home and forget any of this happened.”


“What about together?” Cedric said. “We both win and we semi-unite the Houses.”


Harry nodded. “Together then.”


They both reached out, their hands hovering at the handles. They counted down and, on three, grabbed the cup simultaneously.


At the jolt upon touching the cup, Harry knew something was seriously wrong.