Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 31

Harry vaguely listened to Dumbledore’s speech. He stared blankly at the smiling and laughing portrait of Cedric. It was the day after the disastrous Final Task. He technically should have still been in the Hospital Wing, but he refused to miss Cedric’s funeral. His guardians were all around the Great Hall, attending to offer their own condolences but also to monitor him. The deal was that he would go directly back to the Hospital Wing once the funeral was over. He would hopefully be cleared that day so he could go to Severus’ rooms instead. He felt a strong desire to be with his guardians in peace. He knew they were going to want him to talk about what happened and he wasn’t sure he wanted to just yet, but he wanted to be with them nonetheless.


He looked around as Dumbledore kept talking. There were so many tears in the Hall. Cedric’s father was up at the front, sitting behind Dumbledore and with McGonagall. She was doing her best to comfort him while subtly dabbing at her own eyes. Plenty of students were crying or at least had their heads hanging, the majority naturally being Hogwarts students. The Ravenclaw Cho Chang was sobbing; she and Cedric had been dating. He spotted Hermione and Ginny who were both also crying. There would always be a small, empty place inside of him at the loss of their friendship.


Students from Durmstrang and Beauxbatons were also feeling the loss, despite just being visitors for the year. Fleur, still sporting some cuts and bandages, had a few tears as she held her sister’s hands tightly in her lap. Krum’s face was hard. Harry wondered if he remembered anything. It was also while he was observing the other schools that he realized Karkaroff wasn’t there. Where was he? Had he returned to Voldemort? He hadn’t been in the graveyard last night.


Harry flinched and stared down at his own lap as a few flashes of the previous night went across his mind. He rubbed his right arm where there was still a healing cut under his bandages under his clothes. Taking a deep breath, he looked back up at Dumbledore who appeared to be closing the memorial.


Once he saw others begin to stand and leave the Hall, he stood as well. He hadn’t heard a word Dumbledore said. He stayed at his seat, waiting for Severus, Lucius, or Alexei to accompany him to the Hospital Wing. He gave the twins a thankful smile for coming to see how he was. He promised to see them once more before school ended for the summer.


He turned his eyes back to the front of the Hall and frowned at what seemed to be an intense conversation between Severus, Lucius, and Dumbledore. He noticed Severus’ right hand was clenched into a fist and Harry felt his stomach drop as he realized what they were probably discussing. He started to head up there only to be stopped by Alexei. His eyes flew to the vampire, wanting to demand he be released and be allowed to stop Severus. The words caught in his throat at the look of anguish on Alexei’s face. It made him realize that he wasn’t the only one affected by what Voldemort’s return meant for Severus and Lucius. Alexei had been through this once already, and then it had been more voluntary and willing on Severus’ and Lucius’ parts.


So, he held his tongue and just looked back at Severus sadly. He was somewhat surprised when the man turned his head to meet his gaze. The look Severus gave him was full of sadness and guilt. Harry tried to give his guardian a small smile to reassure him. He wasn’t sure if he was successful, but Severus gave an almost imperceptible nod before saying one last thing to Dumbledore and disappeared through the staff door at the back of the Great Hall.


“Come, moy rebenok,” Alexei said quietly. “Back to the Hospital Wing.”


With a sigh, Harry nodded. He walked beside the vampire in silence, both thinking about Severus. In no time they were back in the Hospital Wing and Harry instantly sat on the bed he had been occupying. Alexei stood nearby, his arms crossed over his chest. They didn’t have to wait long for Pomfrey to hurry over.


With her usual pitying smile, she began to wave her wand over Harry, performing a variety of scans to determine his healing progress. Harry just waited quietly, waiting for any questions and for her verdict on his release.


“How are you feeling?” Pomfrey asked, checking his arm.


“I’m fine,” he said automatically.


“Harry,” Alexei chided quietly.


Harry almost rolled his eyes, but stopped himself. “Tired. My arm hurts. My head hurts. Everything twinges when I think about it.”


Pomfrey nodded in understanding. “Your arm will be healed in a day or two. You need to rest. I am not seeing any permanent adverse effects from the Cruciatus. If you promise to come back or tell Professor Snape if anything worsens, I will discharge you.”


“I promise,” Harry said immediately. He wanted out. He hated the Hospital Wing. He just wanted to be back in his chair in Severus’ rooms with his family.


She glanced at Alexei who nodded as though making the same promise. “Very well,” she said. “You are free to go, but make sure you rest.”


“I will,” Harry said and he meant it; he was still fairly exhausted. He didn’t want to do anything, not even think, for the next three days. He just wanted the school year to be officially over. He got to his feet and began to leave with Alexei. Their path was blocked by Dumbledore, however, and Harry groaned internally.


“Ah, Harry, I was hoping to find you here,” Dumbledore said.


Harry knew Dumbledore cared about his students—most of his students—but he was showing a little too much happiness for having just finished yet another student funeral.


“Do you have the time to come and chat in my office?” Dumbledore asked politely. It almost sounded optional.


“Sir—” Alexei started to protest, but Harry interrupted.


“It’s fine, Alexei,” Harry said. “I’ll be okay.


“You need to rest.


“I will. This won’t take long,” Harry said. He just wanted to get this inevitable meeting over with.


After a few tense moments, Alexei finally nodded.


“Excellent,” Dumbledore said. “Come along, my boy.”


Harry followed the headmaster. He was sure the man spoke on their trip to the Headmaster’s Office, but he didn’t hear anything. Once in the office, Dumbledore gestured for him to sit as the old man sat behind his desk.


“So, Harry, how are you?” Dumbledore asked cordially and, again, Harry almost rolled his eyes at the polite, small talk.


“I’m fine,” Harry said shortly. He was already sick of that question.


“You have gone through so much this year and, for that, I am sorry,” Dumbledore said. Harry just looked at him. “Do you feel up to telling me what happened?”


No. “The cup was a Portkey. We took it together and ended up in the graveyard. Pettigrew killed Cedric and did some kind of ritual to bring Voldemort back. Voldemort made us fight. Our wands connected, and I saw Cedric and my parents,” Harry said in a monotonous tone, staring blankly at Dumbledore’s desk.


Priori Incantantum,” Dumbledore muttered and Harry looked at him curiously. “As you know, your wand and Voldemort’s share the same core.”


Harry nodded and glanced at Fawkes the phoenix who was grooming himself on his perch.


“When brother wands duel, they cannot destroy each other,” Dumbledore explained. “Sometimes a connection is made and prior spells can be revealed. This is what happened. You required assistance, so the connection forced the ‘souls’, so to speak, of Voldemort’s victims to be revealed to help you.”


Harry just nodded again, understanding.


“Things are going to be difficult,” Dumbledore said. “Many will not believe he was returned and we will have to prepare for the coming war in spite of this.”


Harry looked at him in confusion. “Prepare for war?” Him? He was only fourteen! He wasn’t preparing for any war. He just wanted to get through everything he had faced this year.


“Unfortunately,” Dumbledore said, but Harry doubted the sincerity. “You will be a key part of this struggle.”


Harry found his mind spinning and couldn’t respond.


“Are you ready to head home this summer?” Dumbledore asked, changing the subject.


“Yes, sir,” Harry said. He couldn’t wait to see Alexei’s cottage.


“I’m sure your relatives will be happy to have you back and know you are safe.”


Harry did a double-take. “What? I’m not going back to Surrey.”


“Of course you are, my boy. They are your family and it is your home.”


Harry got to his feet. “They are not my family and that is not my home.”


“Harry—”


“I’m not going back,” Harry said and left the office. He felt himself shaking as he rushed down to the dungeons. He ignored everyone he passed. He would never go back to Privet Drive. Severus had promised. He was pretty sure those three would kidnap him before letting him go back to the Dursleys’. Plus, Severus was adopting him…


He stopped abruptly at the thought. He hadn’t made his decision yet, but, apparently, a part of him had. Although, the adoption had been offered before Voldemort’s return. Severus had to return to spying. Was adoption an option anymore? Was living together, all three of them possible anymore?


Running a hand through his hair, distressed, he continued his trek down to the dungeons. Finally, he was in the Potions classroom and crossed it, entering Severus’ rooms. Only Alexei was there, sitting on the sofa with a glass of blood. He was staring distantly at the empty fireplace. Harry was concerned. He had never seen the vampire look so worried.


He walked over slowly and sat beside him on the sofa. Alexei barely reacted which made Harry even more anxious.


“Alexei?” he said quietly, not wanting to disturb the man.


Alexei turned his gaze to Harry and a small smile crossed his face. “I apologize, Harry, I was distracted.”


“Severus?”


Alexei nodded. “And Lucius. He is in his room, resting. I have always worried for Severus, ever since he took the Mark. I know he believes I have always been disappointed in him. Perhaps once I was, but now I simply worry.”


“He looked guilty when he saw me before he left,” Harry said. “I know I was angry when he first told me about the Mark, but that was before I let him explain. I hadn’t considered what he’d probably gone through as a spy back then, and now he has to do it again.”


Alexei nodded again, sadly this time. “We are entering difficult times.”


“That’s what Dumbledore said,” Harry said. “He told me I had to get ready for war.”


Alexei frowned in disapproval. “You will do no such thing. You are a child. You may have a role in the war in the future, but you are not a soldier to be trained.”


Harry gained a tiny smile. He knew the men in his life wouldn’t let Dumbledore train him for a war. He was nervous about his own role though. Alexei was right; he would have a part in a war with Voldemort. The madman would keep him a target, so he would be a part of the war eventually. He just sighed and looked at the coffee table. The adoption papers were still there.


“Is it safe for me to live with Severus?” Harry asked. “And Lucius? Now that Voldemort’s back and they have to spy?”


“I won’t lie, Harry, it makes the situation more complicated,” Alexei said and Harry felt his face fall. “We are setting up additional precautions, however, and we will make it work.”


Harry didn’t have a chance to respond as the door to the room opened and Severus entered. To the eye, he seemed uninjured, but Alexei clearly saw something as he rushed over. Harry watched over the back of the sofa as they whispered intently. He couldn’t hear anything they were saying, but he hoped he would be included eventually. He wanted to know what had happened and if Severus was alright.


Alexei took what seemed to be robes from Severus and went into the lab. Harry knew it must have been Severus’ Death Eater robes and mask. Harry stood and also approached his guardian. The man looked down at him and Harry could see the pain there. Now that he was closer, he could also see the small tremors shaking the man’s body every few seconds.


“I want us to talk, I do, but I must lie down,” Severus admitted.


“It’s okay,” Harry said. He wasn’t ready to talk yet anyway. Severus put a hand on Harry’s cheek briefly before going to disappear into his bedroom.


Harry returned to the sofa and he grabbed the adoption papers. He didn’t know if it was a possibility anymore, but he at least wanted Severus to know it was something he wanted regardless. He quietly summoned a quill and flipped through the pages, signing and initialing wherever required. Once he finished, he put the papers and quill back on the coffee table and then walked to his own room.


He needed a nap of his own.




Harry woke abruptly, breathing heavily and clammy. He swiped at the few tears that had escaped in sleep and blew out a breath to calm his pounding heart. He had a feeling he would be dealing with these dreams for a while. He had to relive it over and over as if the real thing hadn’t been enough.


He left bed and his room, stepping over to his chair and sinking into it. He wasn’t sure what time it was, but at some point, the fire had been lit. he glanced at the other rooms and saw the bedroom doors still shut.


His dream suddenly began to replay. Memories of last night were hitting him hard. He once again stared blankly into the fire, wishing it could do something to fix what had happened. His arm burned with pain, but he paid it no mind. He could do nothing but replay all he had witnessed in his mind over and over again.


“There was nothing you could do,” the professor said.


“I know.”


The professor gave a small sigh.


“You’ll be coming to our home this summer.”


“I know.”


“Harry.”


Harry finally looked at Severus who had come to sit on the sofa. The man seemed a little better. He didn’t appear to have any more tremors, but he looked exhausted. He clearly wasn’t used to what had happened to him.


“Are you okay?” he asked, wanting to delay the coming conversation as long as possible.


“It is something I hoped to never experience again, but, yes, I am alright,” Severus said. “And you?”


Harry shrugged. “I’m fine,” he said even as his arm stung, his head throbbed, and his memories flashed.


Severus gave him a knowing look. “You do know it wasn’t your fault, don’t you?”


“I mean, I do,” Harry said, “but there’s still a part…”


Severus gave a nod. “There will be guilt in your grief and trauma. You were incredibly strong according to Lucius.”


Harry shifted, slightly uncomfortable with the praise. “I didn’t feel like it. I was pretty sure I was going to die.”


“I can only imagine,” Severus said gently. “I hear you had to speak with the headmaster.”


Harry nodded. “He wanted to know what happened in the graveyard.”


“Alexei said he mentioned the Dursleys.”


Harry frowned. He hadn’t said anything about that.


“He could tell when you asked about our living arrangements.”


Harry sighed at the vampire’s intuitiveness. “Yeah, he said I was going back there.”


“You are not even if we have to kidnap you.”


Harry smiled in amusement. It was exactly what he had thought.


“Additionally, I am still your legal guardian and make such decisions.”


“Speaking of,” Harry said. “Can that even stay considering Voldemort and your role?”


“Alexei has already had our file modified and hidden,” Severus said. “And I am good at my job. Riddle will never know.”


Harry nodded in understanding and glanced at the adoption papers as he returned his gaze to the fire. He wondered if Severus had looked at them yet. They didn’t seem disturbed, but someone may have looked at them.


“How have you been sleeping?” Severus asked.


“Okay,” Harry said. “Been having nightmares.”


“Unfortunately to be expected,” Severus said and Harry nodded. “Would you like to talk about them or anything else?”


Harry shook his head. “Not right now,” he said honestly. At some point, he would tell them, but he wasn’t ready yet.”


“Very well,” Severus said. “Would you like some tea?”


“Sure.”


Severus waved his wand and summoned the tea. He set the water to boil and prepared their cups. Harry watched over his cup as Severus reached for the adoption papers.


“You are absolutely sure about this?” Severus asked, tapping the papers.


Harry nodded again. “If it’s even an option, considering.”


Severus smiled and Harry couldn’t believe the amount of love he felt from the man. Who would have thought this was how his year would end, good and bad?


“It was always an option,” Severus said. “Just be aware that it cannot be public while Riddle is alive. Alexei will have it official but hidden. We cannot be seen in public together either. There is too much risk of being seen by loyal Death Eaters now.”


Harry considered what had been said. Did it change things if it had to be secret? When interacting at school next year they would have to be more careful. Severus would have to pretend to hate him. Did that matter? He would know the truth.


And he wanted this. He wanted his family even if most of it had to be secret for a while.


“I’m sure,” Harry said and Severus smiled, grabbing the quill for his own signatures.


Once done, Severus put the papers on the table and then waved his wand again. A cloak and piece of parchment flew out of Severus’ bedroom and landed in a neat, folded pile at Harry’s feet. It was his invisibility cloak and the Marauder’s Map.


“I am trusting you to make smarter decisions with these,” Severus said, taking a drink of tea.


Harry gave him a cocky grin. “I can’t guarantee ‘smarter’, but I promise to try.”


Severus just rolled his eyes and Harry laughed into his tea.