Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

The last of the HBP memories, though one is very edited to fit my AU and the other is paraphrased so they don't take up too much of the chapter. Lots of interaction between Harry and others with heightened emotions. Enjoy!

Chapter 20: So Close, Yet So Far

Harry groaned as he landed hard on the floor, his wand flying through the air and his energy spent. He pushed himself up onto his elbows, and rolled his eyes at the laughing and cheering audience and Severus’ smirk as he twirled Harry’s wand in his fingers. He wasn’t annoyed though; it had gone exactly as expected. Well, aside from the audience. He’d mentioned the duel to Ron and Hermione and then, when he’d arrived in the Chamber, their entire resistance group was there waiting for the show.


He looked up as Severus walked up to him and held out a hand. Harry took it, ignoring the memories, and let the man pull him to his feet. With his own grin, he took his wand back when Severus held it up to him.


“Certainly a marked increase in power, Mr. Potter, but I believe some more practice is in order,” Severus said.


Harry just shook his head, smiling. He’d known he had no chance, but it had been wonderful to have the interaction with the man, more reminiscent of his memories. He could almost pretend Severus remembered.


“Shall I take a look at this potion and spell you have discovered?” Severus asked.


“Yeah, come on,” Harry said. “Everyone else, go find something to do. You had your laughs.”


He waved the others off, drawing another round of laughter that just made him roll his eyes again, amused. They all dispersed, Harry weaving through them with Severus to get to the Founders’ Library. He sat on the sofa and dug through the mess of books and parchments on the table, dragging an open book out from underneath. He was surprised but inwardly pleased when Severus sat beside him and he handed the book to the professor.


They were quiet as Severus scanned the potion, spell, and process for Dream Chasing. He sat back, waiting, hoping they had found a viable solution.


“It is a safer, more efficient method, but, yes, very complicated,” Severus said eventually and Harry looked at him.


“Can you do it?” Harry asked.


“It is absolutely within my abilities,” Severus said and Harry chuckled silently at the man’s confidence and, quite frankly, well-deserved ego.


“Can I do it?” Harry asked more seriously. He needed to be able to help his father and break any hold Dumbledore had on him.


“It is…possible,” Severus said. “Given your power level and…Gryffindor nature.” He gave Harry a pointed look with twitching lips.


Harry wasn’t sure what made him do it or say what he said. He wasn’t thinking. It just felt so similar to how it was supposed to be.


He bumped his shoulder into Severus’ grinning. “Oh, shut up, Dad, you love that I’m a Gryffindor, and I’m no more stubborn than you.”


His smile fell from his face and his eyes widened almost as soon as the words left his mouth. He cringed at the odd look Severus was giving him. He looked away, his eyes stinging, and jumped to his feet, prepared to dash away.


“I’m sorry, sir, I wasn’t thinking,” Harry said quickly, avoiding Severus’ gaze. “I didn’t mean…I’ll go.”


He turned to walk around the table to leave, but a hand gently grasped his wrist. He spun around, meeting Severus’ odd gaze again with his own slightly damp eyes. How his heart ached for the love and affection that only he and Draco could see.


“Sit, Potter,” Severus said softly.


Harry did so slowly, his eyes never leaving the professor. He sat stiffly on the edge of the sofa.


“I’m sorry, sir, I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable,” Harry said again.


“Do not apologize,” Severus said. “I imagine it is difficult for you to remember how things should be when none of the rest of us do.”


Harry sighed and pulled his legs up onto the sofa, crossing them. He propped his elbow up on the back of the sofa, leaning his cheek on his hand. He just nodded at Severus’ comment.


“Is it the reason you have been pairing up with Mr. Malfoy and stalling at the end of class?” Severus asked.


Harry dropped his eyes. “I miss you, but I know you don’t remember so I don’t want to make you guys uncomfortable.”


“While I do not remember everything, I remember enough to know I cared for you in some capacity,” Severus said. “Do not feel you have to hide your feelings.”


Harry shook his head. “I can’t.”


“You can and you will,” Severus said firmly. “As you said, we will all get our memories back.”


Harry looked down at the cushion between them as tears quickly welled up and spilled over. He shut his eyes tightly, hoping to stop the tears. He folded over, covering his face with his hands. Now that he started crying, he couldn’t make himself stop. He supposed he’d never really dealt with, well, anything in his life and he truly hadn’t had much time to process everything he’d learned the last few months. He had finally reached his limit and he could do nothing but sob.


The Dursleys…the abuse…the parents he never knew…the yearly dangers at Hogwarts…the death of Cedric…the loss of Sirius…the constant threat of Voldemort…the torture and possession at Voldemort’s hand…Gryffindor’s trial…the discovery of the family taken from him…the realization that it had been Dumbledore all along…


The violent sobs wracked his body but he couldn’t stop. A gentle hand encircled one of his wrists and his chest jerked as his breathing hitched.


“I miss you,” he whispered so quietly even he barely heard.


“I’m right here,” Severus said quietly.


Harry shook his head. “It’s not you.”


“Look at me.”


Hands tugged on his wrists and he let his hands fall. He raised his eyes to Severus, hardly able to see through his tears. The man cupped his cheek, just like the day he got Gryffindor’s sword. More tears fell, trailing over the man’s thumb.


“It is me, child, and I am here with you,” Severus said softly, reminding Harry so much of his father.


When Severus’ hand slid to the back of his head and pulled slightly, Harry willingly fell against the man’s chest. He wrapped his arms around Severus’ waist and buried his face in the man’s robes as the long fingers tangled in his hair and his other settled on his back, a warm weight.


Harry had no idea how long they sat like that, but, eventually, he settled and his tears slowed. He knew he should break the contact as Severus was likely becoming uncomfortable and his lower back was beginning to ache, but he couldn’t make himself move. He’d been without this his whole life because of Dumbledore. Plus, they had no way of knowing how long it would be before Severus got his memories back or if Dumbledore would find a way to strengthen the Mind Magic again. So, he stayed, enjoying the warmth on his back and the fingers lightly brushing through his hair, and hoped Severus’ wouldn’t push him away.


“It is getting late,” Severus said several minutes later.


Harry sighed and reluctantly pulled away, sitting up again. His eyes were heavy and his head hurt from the excessive crying. He dragged his gaze back to Severus’ when the man swiped at the remaining tears lingering on his face.


“You are not alone,” Severus said, calling back Gryffindor's trial. “I may not remember, but I am here and I know I am meant to be here.”


Harry swallowed thickly and nodded, unsure he could form words.


“Come, we must all return before our late-night wanderings are noticed,” Severus said, rising to his feet.


Harry stared at Severus’ vacant spot in front of him before taking a deep breath and rising as well. They headed out of the Library, stopping briefly at the Marauder’s Map to check their exits. Harry was about to leave the Library when Severus put a hand on his shoulder and gave him a questioning look when Harry turned to him. Harry understood the silent question and gave the man a small smile.


“I’m okay,” Harry said. “Promise,” he added when Severus raised an eyebrow.


The man squeezed his shoulder and dropped his hand. They parted outside the Library to gather the others and exit the Chamber, going their separate ways.




Harry took a deep breath as he stared at the door to the headmaster’s office. He was doing his best to employ the Occlumency Severus was still teaching all of them to hide all that had occurred the previous night in the Chamber. He pulled forth all the Mind Magic memories to hide his real ones. This was his first interaction with Dumbledore since retrieving the Sword of Gryffindor and he was nervous. He was in an even more risky position with the headmaster now and he was about to take a huge risk with Slughorn’s fake ‘real’ memory. If Dumbledore suspected or discovered anything, he could only imagine what the man would do.


He finally settled and knocked on the door, gaining entrance. He entered the office and took his usual seat.


“Thank you for coming, my boy,” Dumbledore said.


“Of course, sir,” Harry said. “I have something for you.”


He pulled the vial out of his pocket and placed it carefully on the desk. He looked at Dumbledore as the man gazed at the vial with wide eyes, something odd flashing there. Dumbledore cleared his expression and looked at Harry with a smile.


“Well done, my boy,” Dumbledore said cheerfully. “How did you manage it?”


Harry took a moment to think of a vague, but adequate response. “Professor Slughorn came to understand the importance of the truth being known.” Harry stared at Dumbledore steadily, keeping his own expression and mind blank. The headmaster stared right back, obviously hearing the double meaning but not finding any other clues.


“Well, excellent work,” Dumbledore said. “We can now learn the truth behind what Voldemort has done.”


Harry just nodded, a part of him terrified that his lies would be caught.


“We will watch our final two memories tonight,” Dumbledore said, picking up Slughorn’s memory and retrieving another from his cabinet. “This first memory is one of my own.”


Harry was surprised the man would risk showing his own memories of Riddle. Perhaps he had tampered with it. He got to his feet and joined the headmaster at the Pensieve once again.


“I saw Tom once a few years after he left Hogwarts. He came to see me and to ask for a job,” Dumbledore said and he poured his memory into the Pensieve.


Taking an imperceptible deep breath to keep calm and focused, Harry bent and entered the memory. He landed in the headmaster’s office. It looked pretty much the same as how Harry had always known it, perhaps a little lighter on the trinkets. The memory Dumbledore also didn’t look much different. His hair and beard were a bit shorter and his robes slightly less garish.


He turned and Dumbledore looked up when the door opened and in walked Tom Riddle. Harry couldn’t help but notice the Riddle he’d met that year looked almost identical to the Riddle before him. The horcruxes had stopped him from aging. The Riddle in front of him wore a straight-cut, clean, black suit with professional-looking robes over top. Riddle walked smoothly to the desk and satin one of the chairs, gracefully crossing his legs and clasping his hands on his knees. He raised his brown eyes to Dumbledore where they flashed red for a split second. Harry noticed a slight fuzziness around the very edges of the memory, something he was sure the others hadn’t had and he frowned, wondering what it was.


He pushed it aside for now and focused on Riddle and Dumbledore.


Tom, what a wonderful surprise,” Dumbledore said though the welcoming tone sounded forced.


Albus,” Riddle said. “I am surprised to hear you call me ‘Tom’, considering my…other name.”


You will always be Tom to me, my boy,” Dumbledore said.


Harry frowned at the sound of static that played over whatever Riddle said next. It wasn’t like the tampered Slughorn memory, so what was it?


Why have you come here tonight, Tom? I was under the impression you wanted to leave Hogwarts in your past,” Dumbledore said, leaning back in his chair and eyeing Riddle who met his gaze evenly.


You know Hogwarts is my home, like many others,” Riddle said, his tone almost piercing as he stared at the headmaster.


Dumbledore’s face twitched minutely, but he covered it with a smile. “Of course. What brings you back here?”


I heard you have an opening and I would like to teach,” Riddle said.


Harry was surprised again. Riddle tried to come back? Why? Had he broken the Mind Magic on himself and wanted to stop Dumbledore from the inside?


Dumbledore seemed to be surprised as well.


I have…discovered a lot and pushed magic’s boundaries,” Riddle continued. “I would like to pass on my knowledge and help the students of Hogwarts, help them explore magic and protect themselves.”


The way Riddle spoke and seemed to emphasize particular words, Harry knew Riddle was trying to imply that he knew what Dumbledore had done. Riddle wanted to protect any other students from having the same thing be done to them.


Yes, I’ve heard of the things you have done,” Dumbledore said, his tone disappointed but his eyes flashing with something else.


Riddle’s expression hardened and a muscle in his jaw twitched.


It is because of the things I’ve done that makes me want to teach,” Riddle said.


Harry frowned again when the static returned, masking Riddle’s words.


And what of your…followers?” Dumbledore asked. “I believe I would find a few waiting for you in the Hog’s Head, correct?”


Riddle inclined his head. “Friends, waiting to celebrate or lament alongside me.” His eyes turned cold. “And yours?”


Static once again, this time hiding Dumbledore’s response.


Tell me why you’re really here, Tom,” Dumbledore said, looking at Riddle over his glasses.


Riddle leaned forward, his eyes glinting again. “To undo what’s been done. To put things right.”


Dumbledore sighed and shook his head. “I think it’s too late for that, for you. You have not learned the true power of this world.”


Harry saw an emotion pass through Riddle’s eyes and he was sure it was hurt.


So, you are declining me the position?” Riddle said stiffly.


Yes, Tom, and I will continue to decline until you repent for what you have done,” Dumbledore said.


You cannot hide in here forever,” Riddle said, getting to his feet.


Goodbye, Tom,” Dumbledore said and, after a long stare, Riddle swept from the office as the memory faded and Harry returned to the current office.


He looked at the headmaster, ready to ask his questions, but Dumbledore held up a hand to stop him.


“We will watch Horace’s memory and then we will discuss,” Dumbledore said.


Harry nodded. He was apprehensive as the memory Slughorn gave him swirled in the Pensieve. He hoped Slughorn was right and it would pass as a real memory. He and Dumbledore entered the memory. It was a mix of Dumbledore’s tampered version and Slughorn’s true memory that he’d shown Harry. The only differences were the lack of care between Riddle and Slughorn, the lack of fear from Riddle, no mention of what Riddle encountered with the Chamber of Secrets, and the dark look of manipulation on Riddle’s face as Slughorn told him about horcruxes.


Harry could see what Dumbledore had aimed to do with the memory. This version took away Riddle’s vulnerability, the relationship between the two, and would have instilled a great shame in Slughorn for telling Riddle about the dark magic he would supposedly use to become the monster he’d been portrayed to be.


They exited the Pensieve for the final time and resumed their seats. Harry pushed down all he knew and fell into the act he had to keep up.


“So, he did it? He made a horcrux?” Harry asked, hoping he’d be able to get some information about where they could be for Riddle.


“Indeed. However, I believe he made five,” Dumbledore said and Harry made his eyes open wide to act shocked.


“Five?” Harry repeated.


Dumbledore nodded. “You encountered one many years ago,” he said and he pulled the diary out from his desk. “This ring was also a horcrux.”


“The diary. That’s how he possessed Ginny,” Harry said. “He used items important to him. Does that mean the locket and goblet he stole are also horcruxes?”


“I believe so,” Dumbledore said. “He became obsessed with such legendary items and sought to possess them.”


“Do you know where they are?” Harry asked, giving all his attention to the headmaster.


“I am uncertain. I have been searching since he returned, but I have only found the ring since then,” Dumbledore said and Harry hid his disappointment. “I believe he has hidden them in places that are important to him, good and bad.”


Harry sighed quietly, but continued the conversation. “The first memory, what was wrong with it?”


“That is simply the result of an aging mind. I can no longer recall parts of the conversation,” Dumbledore said easily. Harry couldn’t tell if it was a lie or not.


“So, was he actually here for a job?” Harry asked.


Dumbledore leaned back in his chair and linked his fingers together on his chest. “I believe a part of him truly wanted the job, yes, but it was not his sole purpose for visiting.”


“What did he want to teach?” Harry was genuinely curious. Riddle had never mentioned any of this.


Dumbledore gave a small, wry smile. “Perhaps you could guess as Hogwarts has never seen a repeat professor in the subject since Tom was rejected.”


Harry blinked, honestly stunned. “Defense? The curse is real?”


“I don’t know if Tom actually cursed it, but there is certainly a terrible string of luck attached to it,” Dumbledore said.


“No kidding,” Harry muttered. He doubted Riddle had done anything, but would Dumbledore? What would be the benefit or goal of having a cursed teaching position, real or not? He’d have to theorize with the others. “Why was he here if not for a job?”


“You saw his defensive response when I claimed he wanted to forget Hogwarts?” Dumbledore inquired and Harry nodded.


“He said Hogwarts was his home,” Harry said.


Dumbledore peered at him, that familiar sparkle in his blue eyes. “A sentiment you have echoed.”


Harry clenched his jaw, keeping quiet.


Hogwarts was supposed to be everyone’s home. You took that from everyone that’s come through here in your years, he thought bitterly.


“Tom always had a very special connection to Hogwarts, much like yourself,” Dumbledore continued. “He always believed he knew more about the castle than anyone. Once he left, he no longer had that connection. He had no reason to return. However, that day, I believe he created a reason, a new connection.”


Harry frowned, trying to figure out what the headmaster meant. What reason could Riddle—or Dumbledore as Riddle—have left behind to keep him connected to Hogwarts? He thought hard before finally realizing.


“A horcrux?” he said, his heart beating faster. “You think he hid a horcrux in the school?”


“I do.”


“But, where? How? Wouldn’t you have found it by now?” Harry asked, shocked he had even a generic location of a horcrux.


“I admit I do not know the castle in its entirety. It is completely possible Tom did, indeed, know of some place I do not,” Dumbledore said. “I have looked time and time again, but to no avail.”


Harry slumped back in his chair with a huff. He had hoped for more specifics. Hogwarts was huge. How would he find one small object, particularly when hidden by someone that doesn’t want it found?


“I trust you understand what this all means,” Dumbledore asked and Harry looked at him.


“He can’t die,” Harry said and Dumbledore nodded gravely.


“We must find his horcruxes and destroy them,” Dumbledore said. “Only then will you be able to fulfill the prophecy.”


Harry’s face hardened at the mention of the false prophecy. Dumbledore had likely planned to hold it over him, to convince him it was his destiny, perhaps even to convince him to die for the ‘greater good’. He couldn’t believe how manipulated he had been, what a good little soldier he had been becoming.


“Will you tell me if you find one?” Harry asked. Clearly the horcruxes were how he was hoping to have Harry kill Riddle. Dumbledore could lead him directly to the horcruxes. “Will you take me with you?”


“I intended to, yes, for, one day, you will continue and complete the search,” Dumbledore said. “I may be close to discovering one and I will let you know when I do.”


Harry frowned slightly at the first comment, but filed it away. “Thank you, sir.”


“Off you go now. You may speak with your friends about what we have discussed,” Dumbledore said.


Harry nodded and left the office, bidding the headmaster a tight ‘good night’ as he went.




Was there anything in the castle you thought only you knew about? Harry wrote and shook the quill in his fingers as he waited for a response.


His mind had been spinning for the last couple of days since his meeting with Dumbledore. He’d been desperate to contact Riddle with the journal, but hadn’t had any opportunity to slip into the Chamber as he completed his midterms. He’d just finished his final midterm in Defense and had hurried to the Chamber immediately.


Only the Chamber, Riddle finally responded and Harry blew out a frustrated breath. Why? Riddle added.


Dumbledore finally told me about the horcruxes, a little bit anyway. There’s one here in Hogwarts, but he told me he didn’t know where. He said you knew things about the school no one else did, Harry wrote back.


I suppose I may have known some secrets, but none that would be hiding places for a horcrux, Riddle wrote.


Harry just sighed, feeling lost.


Any word on the sword? Riddle asked.


Not yet. We don’t know where else would mean anything to him. We don’t know where to even begin with the others, Harry wrote.


Go into his family history. There’s tragedy there and then there’s his relationship with Grindelwald, Riddle wrote and Harry frowned.


The dark wizard? Harry asked.


There are rumours that they were friends or even involved before Grindelwald went dark, Riddle wrote.


Harry’s mind raced even faster.


Thanks.


He put the quill down and left the room. He headed to the Founders’ Library where he had left Ron, Hermione, and Draco. He needed them all to float ideas. He entered the Library and joined Ron on the sofa, all three looking away from their books and at him in question. He shook his head.


“He doesn’t know. He’s pretty sure the only thing he knew about and no one else did is the Chamber,” Harry said and the others all looked dejected at the news.


“Well, maybe Dumbledore’s lying,” Draco said. “He’s not exactly above it.”


“So, maybe it is a secret place, but one other people do know about,” Hermione said.


“What about the Room of Requirement?” Ron said after a few moments of silence. The others looked at him. “It’s not a well-known place, but it is a secret.”


Harry nodded. “It would be the perfect place. I wouldn’t be surprised if Riddle had found it.”


“But how would we find the horcrux?” Ron asked. “It becomes whatever the individual wants. We would have no way of knowing what Dumbledore asked for.”


“And there’s no magic to power it,” Draco pointed out.


Harry sighed. He had a feeling they were right about the Room of Requirement, but, of course, they were stalled by Dumbledore once again. How were they supposed to save Hogwarts when they needed her magic to do so?


“We’ll figure it out,” Hermione said. “We’ll see if there’s anything in here about the Room.”


Harry gave her a small smile at her optimism and nodded.


“Did Riddle say anything else?” Draco asked.


“He mentioned something about Dumbledore, an idea for the swords,” Harry said. “He said there were rumours about his true relationship with Grindelwald.”


“The dark wizard?” Draco said, repeating Harry’s own response to Riddle.


Harry nodded again. “Apparently they were friends before Grindelwald turned dark.”


“He had to fight his own friend?” Ron said and Harry shrugged.


“I guess. I don’t know anything about it,” Harry said, and he and Ron instantly looked at Hermione. She huffed and rolled her eyes while Draco snorted quietly behind his book.


“Really, pick up a book,” Hermione said, making Harry and Ron grin. “Grindelwald rose to power in the twenties. He believed wizard-kind should rule over Muggles. He gained a following and massacred Muggles and Muggleborns and blood traitors across Europe for years. He did it under the motto, ‘for the greater good’.”


Harry looked at her sharply. How often had Dumbledore said the same thing?


“Dumbledore eventually confronted Grindelwald in nineteen forty-five and defeated him. There isn’t much information on their history together aside from their batter,” Hermione finished.


“It would make sense if they were friends, otherwise why would Dumbledore fight him? He was only a professor here at that time,” Draco pointed out.


“What happened to Grindelwald? Did Dumbledore kill him?” Harry asked.


Hermione shook her head. “He’s imprisoned at Nurmengard, his own headquarters.”


Ron gaped at her. “He’s still there? Alive?”


“I believe so.” Hermione nodded.


 “Would he really hide a sword there when Grindelwald’s there?” Ron asked.


“It’s actually a good idea,” Draco said. “No one goes near that place. No one would ever accidentally find it.”


“It has a lot of significance to Dumbledore,” Hermione added.


“Let’s just assume there is one there,” Harry said. “Which one?”


“Well, if it’s meant to have similar connections that Gryffindor’s had, then it likely has to do with what connects him to Nurmengard,” Hermione said.


“Which would be Grindelwald,” Ron said.


“Riddle said the rumours said they had been friends, possibly even together,” Harry said and he raised his eyes from where they had been staring blankly at the table to look at his friends. “What if the rumours were true?”


They all glanced at each other in surprise as they considered the possible revelation.


“You think Dumbledore was in love with Grindelwald?” Ron said.


Harry shrugged a shoulder. “I don’t know, but, like Dr-uh, Malfoy said, it would make sense.” He didn’t miss the odd look Draco sent him, but he studiously ignored it.


“Hufflepuff’s sword,” Draco said.


“He’s right. It’s about love,” Hermione said.


“So, Snape,” Ron said and Harry nodded.


“Snape,” Harry repeated, his heart skipping at the idea of Severus having to go to such a place.


“We’ll go tell Riddle and then we’ll meet you back in the Tower,” Hermione said, getting to her feet with Ron.


Harry gave them a grateful smile. They didn’t k now everything and were still confused about his desire to spend time with Severus and Draco, but they accepted it nonetheless. He watched them go and hen feigned being busy by shuffling through the mess on the coffee table.


“Are you going to tell me why you’ve been so weird around me since getting Gryffindor’s sword?” Draco asked after several minutes.


Harry’s hands stilled and he looked at Draco, meeting the grey eyes. He sighed sadly. “I remember everything. The sword broke the Mind Magic.”


“Oh.”


“Yeah.”


Draco tapped the book on his lap. “What…what do you remember?”


“I don’t think I should tell you. I don’t want to risk you having an overload,” Harry said, hating the sadness that filled Draco’s eyes.


“Right,” Draco said. “But there’s…there’s stuff about…us?”


Harry gave a small smile. “Yeah, there’s stuff about us.”


“So, that’s why you won’t leave me alone?” Draco said, sounding annoyed, but Harry could tell he didn’t mean it.


He chuckled. “Yeah, sorry.”


Draco shrugged slightly. “We were…friends?”


Harry grew sad again, his heart aching and crying out for his brother. “Yeah, we were friends…when we could be.”


“Good friends?”


Harry fought back tears and nodded. “Really good friends.”