Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Sociability of Arthur Weasley

"You're leaving me here?" There was a note of panic in the boy's tone that Severus found odd considering how upset the child had been about him coming to the Dursleys to begin with.

"If I recall, you were against my being here at all."

"Will you come back?" The panic was still in Harry's voice.

Severus rolled his eyes, "I'll come back, idiot child."

The boy didn't seem calmed very much by his reassurance. Snape pinched the bridge of his nose. "It's just you and Petunia here, and she seems intent on ignoring us both. I've charmed the door so that you can leave these rooms if you want, but she can't come in." He pointed to a tray he'd placed on the small end table that he'd transfigured. The tray had a large glass of water and two sandwiches, as well as carrots and celery. If the boy didn't want to leave, at least he didn't have an excuse not to eat. "I've already brought up lunch in case I'm not back by then."

The boy was pouting, "How long will you be gone?"

"I'm just dropping off the papers Tuney signed at the Ministry. It shouldn't take long."

"What did you say to Aunt Petunia that made her so cross?"

Snape's teeth clenched. The boy had been asking him that for the last three days. Every time the question came out of nowhere, so he wasn't prepared for it. Then without warning his regret would once again resurface. "Ask your Aunt."

"I'm not allowed to ask questions."

Snape rolled his eyes, "Don't be absurd. You ask questions non-stop."

The boy crossed his arms and mumbled, "Not at the Dursley's. It's a rule."

Severus tilted his head and studied the boy for a moment. Since they'd been here the boy rarely asked his Aunt and Uncle any questions. Barely spoke at all when they were in the room. Would they make such a ridiculous rule for the boy? He pushed the thought away.

"I'll be back shortly."

The boy seemed to think about this for a moment before he shrugged, went into his bedroom, and slammed the door.

Severus left the Dursley residence and tried not to wonder about why he wasn't considering just leaving the brat behind.


Dropping off the paperwork didn't take long. Even when he asked for copies with an official seal. In all honesty, he could have sent it by owl. But he had other reasons to go to the Ministry. Well, one other reason. A reason born of desperation. He considered changing his plans and going to Hogwarts instead. Filius might be better suited to assist with his current predicament.

He made his way to the second floor of the Ministry. On the way, he barely managed to dodge a conversation with a former student. A rather bright one - surprisingly - who was somehow, mostly, immune to his glares. Clearly, he'd been losing his touch for a while, now, if former students even wanted to speak to him. Despite the delay, he made it to the small office that was the entire department of The Misuse of Muggle Artifacts.

How had his life come to this?

It was Minerva's fault. He was never placing a fucking bet with her ever again.

He knocked on the open door.

Mr. Weasley was the only one in the office at the time, and his head popped up upon hearing the knock. "Ah! Severus! Is it time for lunch already?"

Severus stepped into the cramped space with trepidation. The stacks of file folders appeared ready to topple over and bury them alive, at any moment. "It's good to see you again, Arthur."

The eldest member of the Weasley clan laughed and came around his desk, "Especially, since it has nothing to do with one of my boys, for a change, yes?"

Severus considered - just for a moment - closing the office door, dropping to his knees, and clinging to the older man's robes while he sobbed hysterically. Maybe the man would take pity on him? Maybe he could provide him with a step-by-step instruction manual for Harry? Complete with a daily schedule until the boy comes of age since it appeared he would be stuck with the child.

However, he decided that such an act would disturb the mound of files around the office. He did not wish to be buried alive. Also, there was the fact that he and Arthur did not have that sort of relationship so the Weasley patriarch would probably have him carted off to St. Mungos. Perhaps, he would enjoy the vacation?

Instead, Severus stated simply, "I have no idea how this happened."

Weasley, of course, fucking laughed. Then clapped him on the shoulder, "Come on then, there's a café downstairs with excellent pies."

Arthur talked, almost, as much as Harry, Severus realized. The man chatted happily on their way to the restaurant and was completely undisturbed by Severus's short answers. And Snape would never admit to anyone - certainly not Arthur - that he found it oddly relaxing.

The more the man spoke without really wanting or needing a reply the easier Snape found it to breathe. It wasn't unlike the times that Pomona made him a sandwich, he realized. What sort of person was he that, as much as he hated people, he found himself oddly calmed by their inane chatter in certain situations?

It must be a result of spending too much time with the Headmaster.

Eventually, Arthur's words slowed as his focus shifted. As they finished their meal Severus realized his thoughts were in a more coherent order.

Arthur still smiled, but it was a smaller, gentler, smile, "So, what's on your mind?"

He was not one for small talk, "how much do you know about Harry's Aunt and Uncle?"

Arthur frowned, "To be honest, I only know Harry through the boys. I've hardly spoken to him, at all. But," the red-headed man hesitated, "From what they've said, I have some concerns. I know Molly went to Dumbledore about some of the things the boys told us, but Dumbledore assured us that everything was fine."

"Everything was not fine," Severus decided that he would have to talk with the Headmaster, and was concerned about the results of that conversation. "Unfortunately, I find myself - at times - understanding why things were... less than fine."

He expected anger at his words, but Arthur just waited patiently for him to continue.

"It's not that I'm condoning their neglect," Snape clarified, "But... I can understand why they would want to keep their distance under the circumstances."

Arthur's tone was surprisingly neutral, "I feel like I'm missing something, Severus. What circumstances are you referring to, exactly?"

Snape took a deep breath before providing an abbreviated version of his relationship with the Evans family. He included how Albus just left Harry on the doorstep and the less-than-subtle threats the man had made regarding what would happen if the wards fell. He had to clear his throat before describing Harry's living conditions at the Dursleys.

"Every time," Severus continued, "I find myself properly angry at them for what they did to the boy, it seems, something reminds me about the situation they found themselves in a decade ago. I had an entire plan in place to drive them slowly insane, and then ended up stopping the whole thing because I..."

"Felt bad for them?" Arthur supplied.

Snape gave a single slow nod. He didn't mention his reconsideration was because of something Harry said.

"How does Harry feel about the situation?"

Snape was silent.

Arthur's eyes widened in surprise, but he controlled the expression quickly. "I see." Arthur paused for a moment and Snape could practically see him contemplating his next words carefully, "You did just submit the guardianship papers, yes?"

Snape nodded and took out his copies of the paperwork placing them in front of Arthur. He wasn't sure why he felt a need to show Arthur the papers like a student determined to have their completed homework noticed.

Arthur glanced at the papers with a smile, "I'm sure Harry will love to see these. You might consider showing them to him, and then you'll have a perfect opportunity to talk to your boy."

Snape felt himself grimace as Arthur referred to Harry as ‘his boy,' but with the papers still on the table he couldn't really deny it. "What do I talk to him about?"

"Perhaps start with how he feels about everything that's happened?"


Arthur Weasley had no idea what he was talking about.

There was no way that talking to the boy could help anything. Ever.

The boy was impossible.

By the time Snape had gotten back to Tuney's - he'd made a couple more stops after letting Arthur get back to work - it was a little later than he'd intended. He saw no sign of Tuney as he made his way to his and the boy's room, and was rather relieved.

His relief was premature.

On the couch in their small sitting room, Harry was clearly fuming. The child's arms were crossed, and judging by the red puffiness of his eyes he'd been crying. He glared at Severus like he wanted to throw something at him.

Snape raised an eyebrow, "problem?"

"You said you wouldn't be gone long," the raspiness of the boy's voice made Snape wonder if the boy had spent some time screaming as well as crying.

He raised an eyebrow, did the boy realize who was the adult in this situation? "I was out a bit longer than anticipated." He hesitated before continuing in a slightly softer tone, "But I'm back, now."

The boy's bottom lip quivered.

Snape knew for a fact that he needed a sandwich. Could he ask Pomona to come visit? And bring her sandwich-making materials? Perhaps he could supply the materials?

Severus cleared his throat; he held up the paper bag he'd brought with him from his last stop. "I procured fish and chips for dinner."

Snape moved the small end table in front of the couch. He placed the tray with the empty plate and glass on the floor and took the food from the bag. Harry seemed to come out of his pout slightly as he smelled the food and saw that Severus had even gotten them Cokes to drink.

"Thank you," Harry said quietly the gruffness in his voice along with his pout seemed to indicate that he was still upset.

However, as they ate, Harry's mood seemed to improve, and the boy even began his endless chattering, again.

Snape decided that it was better than pouting.

Once they'd finished their meals - and because he wanted the smell out of their small sitting room before it settled for too long - Severus gathered their garbage and the tray from earlier to take downstairs to the trash. Before leaving their room, however, he reached into his pocket and took out one of several bags he'd shrank. After resizing it to its normal dimensions he tossed the bag to the child and left. There was no point in rewarding the boy's grouchiness by giving him all the things he'd bought the boy to entertain himself. At least not all at once.

When he returned, the boy was sitting on the couch holding a small, fuzzy, stuffed golden snitch that - while larger than an official snitch - could be held in one hand.

He cleared his throat, "Since you're so obsessed with the damn things, I thought you might like one that you can hold without fear of it escaping."  

Severus could see the debate in the boy's eyes. He'd spent enough time teaching to understand the child's conflict. There was a part of the child that wanted to protest that he was too old for such toys. The other part wanted to squeeze the toy into his chest and never let go.

"If you'd rather use it for decoration in your room at Hogwarts, that's always an acceptable use of a stuffed toy. Perhaps, hanging it from the ceiling?"

Harry grinned, he was all but broadcasting his relief and anticipation, "Thank you, professor! It's brilliant!"

Snape swallowed; the child was in a good mood again. If they were going to talk about... things... as Arthur suggested it would need to be now. Before he lost his nerve.

"Harry," Severus moved to sit on the couch, "I...well...I" He hesitated. Fuck. He'd been a teacher long enough to know that you never let the brats smell weakness. He cleared his throat, again. "I want to show you something."

Snape removed the folder with the guardianship papers from his robes and handed them to the boy. "Those are the copies of the approved papers that I had your Aunt sign. Do you understand what that means?"

"That she isn't my guardian anymore?"

"That is correct. You are now both biologically and legally... mine."

Harry looked at him with some confusion, but honestly, the boy always seemed to exist in a state of confusion so that wasn't anything new.

"Does this mean I don't have to come back here, anymore?"

"I don't know, yet." Snape answered honestly, taking the papers back from the boy, "As of now, this is the safest place for you. But, I will endeavor to find another safe location for...next summer. If that doesn't happen, then both of us will come back here again."

"I don't think Aunt Petunia will like that. Will you tell me what you said to her that upset her so much?"

Snape was prepared for the question this time, but not willing to answer it. He braced himself for the next question and tried to keep his distaste from his voice. "How do you feel about the guardianship papers?"

Confusion again.

Snape waited to see if the child's brain would start working. It could take some time.

"Are you asking if I'm okay with the papers? Or if I'm okay being your kid?" Harry didn't pause long enough for Snape to answer which was good because Severus would have only been capable of helpless stuttering. "Cause, I mean, the papers are just a legal thing, right? It doesn't really change anything. Especially if I still have to come back here."

Snape nodded, and his curiosity must have won out over his common sense as he asked another question, "In regards to - as you put it - ‘being my kid' how do you feel about that?"

Harry shrugged, and he began tossing the stuffed toy from hand to hand. "If I answer that question, will you tell me what you said to Aunt Petunia?"

Severus's first reaction was a resounding ‘no,' but he paused for a moment to consider his options. "What if we take turns answering questions? For every question you answer - properly - I'll answer a question of yours."

Harry nodded, but his head shot up, "okay, but you have to answer the questions properly, too. Not like last time!"

"Agreed," Severus settled back into the couch, "Answer my question, then."

Harry thought for a moment, even bringing the stuffed toy up to his nose for a few seconds. "I don't really know. I thought you hated me practically the entire school year. And you were a complete git in class!" Harry glared at him angrily, before continuing, "I thought you were the one trying to jinx my broom and steal the Stone! It wasn't until I found Quirrell with the mirror that I realized we'd gotten it wrong."

Snape waited, to see if the child would add more. The possessive, greedy, little voice that screamed ‘mine' almost any time Severus looked at the boy lately was not getting louder, but, it seemed, other parts of his mind were starting to listen to that voice and give it honest consideration instead of pushing it aside. Another voice reminded him that the boy was Lily's. And, yet another voice added, that Harry was a child that he and Lily created. Together. Even if Lily did the heavy lifting after his contribution, he had helped make the boy.

"But since what happened at the train station," Harry's voice interrupted his musings, "you haven't been that horrible. You got me a snitch!" Harry glanced up at him with a grin and held up the stuffed toy as though Severus couldn't see it from the opposite end of the small couch, "Two of them actually. And you always make sure I eat. And at Hogwarts you let me fly around the pitch. You even looked over my summer assignments the way Hermione does for me and Ron. You didn't let Dudley steal my food." Harry concluded definitively, "You're definitely better than living here with the Dursleys."

That was a rather low bar, Severus thought, but decided the boy didn't have much to compare it to. "So, I take it you're not... upset about our relationship?"

"It's my turn to ask a question," Harry stated, determinedly.

Severus acquiesced with a nod and a wave of his hand.

Harry seemed to think for a moment, as though choosing his question carefully. Eventually, he decided his most recent question was the most pressing at the moment, "What did you say to upset Aunt Petunia the other day? The thing you apologized for; I mean. Like, really apologized for."

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes. Out of context, the words weren't so horrible, but undoubtedly the child would use his next question to ask for clarification. This question for a question game suddenly didn't seem like his best idea. Best to answer the question, and hope the child got sidetracked like he usually did. "I asked her to remind me how her father died."

As expected, Harry seemed confused but didn't ask a follow-up question.

"The other day, you said it wasn't very nice that I was doing things to annoy your Aunt and Uncle. Considering how they've treated you since you were a baby, why does it bother you that I wasn't very nice to them?"

Harry looked at him like he'd grown a second head, "because they're my Aunt and Uncle. Before you, they were my only family after my mum and da-" Harry cut himself off abruptly with wide eyes and looked at Severus, "Well, you know."

"After your mother and James died protecting you."

Harry nodded, looking down he rolled the stuffed snitch from one hand to the other.

Severus swallowed, without realizing it the boy had provided an answer to the question he'd been struggling with almost since stepping foot through the door of the Dursley residence. How could he simultaneously condemn Tuney and her treatment of the boy and empathize with her at the same time? How could he both damn her and embrace her?

But hadn't he done the same with his father for years? And his mother for that matter? Not to mention Mr. Evans? They were people who meant something to him. People that for whatever reason he was attached to. Something intangible bound them together. He loved them. Even with their flaws, he loved them. Their behavior at times was unforgivable, but they were still people he loved.

Just as Harry was doing by saying that even though they were horrible to him, his Aunt and Uncle were still family. Some part of the child would be upset if something happened to his Aunt and Uncle. They were his family. The fact that the Blood Wards held for as long as they did proved that.

Most victims of abuse didn't want to leave their abusers. They just wanted the abuse to stop.

He wondered briefly how old Harry should be when someone sat him down for a serious discussion about abusive relationships...and probably addiction, as well. Would he have to be the one doing that?

Bloody fucking hell.

"My turn," Harry stated, drawing Snape's attention away from his inner thoughts. "Will you, please, tell me about any other family I have? Do I have more aunts and uncles? What about grandparents?"

Snape smirked, "That's more than one question."

Harry rolled his eyes, "You know what I mean."

"Do I?"

Harry glared and threw himself back against the couch.

Severus decided to reward the boy for providing an answer to an unasked question. "You don't have any other aunts and uncles. But you do have a grandmother and grandfather." He hesitated for a moment unsure if it was wise to open this particular door. "I'm sure they'd love to meet you."

The boy was grinning from ear to ear. An outside observer would have assumed that the child had been hexed. No other explanation could account for the raw excitement and happiness radiating off the child.

It was disturbing.

So, why he found it difficult to keep the corners of his mouth from lifting slightly - he was NOT smiling - Severus couldn't say.

"Hurry and ask your question! I have loads more to ask!" Harry demanded, still beaming excitedly and looking expectantly at Severus.

The stuffed snitch had been abandoned on the couch in the space between him and the boy, and Severus took the opportunity to pick it up and throw it lightly at the child. Despite his fast quidditch reflexes, the boy's surprise prevented him from stopping it before it bounced off his nose.

"What do you hope will come from our new relationship?" Severus almost felt guilty as he watched some of the child's excitement drain.

Harry stopped bouncing in place and settled into his corner of the sofa. The stuffed toy was back in his hands, and he seemed to be studying it closely. After a few moments, the boy just shrugged.

"That's not a proper answer," Snape gently reminded him in what he hoped was a neutral tone.

During the conversation with Arthur, the older man had explained that Severus might have to share his own thoughts on various subjects. Apparently, with the child's background - and his young age - the boy might not know how to express his feelings or be afraid to share those feelings. According to Arthur - who should know something about raising children considering most of his seemed to be turning out fairly well if a bit loud and rambunctious - if Severus showed the boy how to answer, and demonstrated that he could be trusted with that answer, then the child would reciprocate.

That was easier said than done.

Snape decided he needed to acquire more books on the subject, but some of the psychology books he'd already consumed seemed to agree with the Weasley patriarch. Apparently, these relationships were reciprocal in some fashion.

Severus took a deep breath, he intentionally kept his words simple for the boy, "I would like for our relationship to progress and grow. I would like to get to know you better and spend more time with you. I've... enjoyed helping you with your summer assignments and watching you learn and improve. And I want to keep doing that." He paused for a moment and looked away from the bright emerald eyes watching him with surprise. He remembered what Harry had said a few days after the Kings Cross incident. "I want you, Harry. You're... mine. Hopefully, one day, you'll be... happy being mine."

The room was silent. Snape refused to let his eyes look anywhere near the child on the couch.

Arthur was mistaken. This system of talking only worked if one was a Weasley, obviously.

It would explain a lot about that family, actually.

He felt the child moving on the couch but was still startled when he felt a small body press against his side. He looked down to see the boy sitting as close as possible without actually being in his lap. The snitch still seemed to have the attention of his eyes and hands.

Snape didn't move.

"I know, I'm too old to need a parent," Harry stated in a matter-of-fact tone that eleven-year-olds typically adopt when they're sure they know how something works. Despite also knowing that adults would tell them that they are, in fact, very wrong. "But I think it might be nice to have a dad, still."

Slowly and awkwardly, Snape lifted the arm the boy was pressed against and placed it around the child's shoulders. Severus didn't need to encourage the boy for the child to lean against him.

Now, what was he supposed to do?

Arthur had not prepared him for this situation.

He really needed that sandwich.

Or a drink.

Maybe both?

Shit.

Fuck.

Shit.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

"What are my grandparents like?"

Chapter End Notes:

Thoughts?