Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Going Back

Surprisingly, the next several days passed without incident, and Severus was surprised that he had made it a total of four days, two hours, twenty-six minutes, and forty-three seconds without murdering the boy. Rather, he'd found himself... not minding having the child around. At least, not minding as much as he had expected.

The boy still asked too many questions. And talked too much. And made too much of a mess in the bathroom.

But he didn't seem to... expect much. The child seemed mostly content with working on his schoolwork, reading, and flying. In fact, he enjoyed flying around the quidditch pitch to such an extent that he found himself doing something rather horrible. At least, that's what he told himself. Of all the contradicting thoughts in his head he found none so confusing as the one suggested he finish his work early to take the child outside for exercise.

He'd even considered unlocking Hootch's shed so he could dig out a snitch for Harry to chase around. Surely, that would be more fun for the boy than dodging in and out of the quidditch hoops and doing nose dives that made his chest hurt in that uncomfortable way. However, Severus thought better of it. It was best to remain on Hootch's good side. As a general rule - to which Madam Hootch was no exception - Hogwarts staff were formidable witches and wizards that it was best not to anger.

Regardless, he'd already decided that Saturday he would take the child to Diagon Alley for some of next year's school supplies (robes would have to wait in case the child had a growth spurt). While there he would purchase a snitch for Harry to keep himself entertained. It wasn't a gift, he reasoned, merely a tool to distract the child.

A knock on his office door distracted him from his thoughts and his lesson plans. However, before he could wave the door open Albus Dumbledore walked in with Harry in tow. Albus must have retrieved the boy or Snape would have been alerted by the alarms on his door if the boy had left on his own accord. Regardless, this did not bode well. What had the child done this time?

"Headmaster," Snape greeted, "is everything alright?"

Snape's eyes went to Harry who standing next to the older wizard. He tried not to think about why he was intently studying the child for any sign of something amiss. He didn't notice anything obviously wrong with the child. More importantly, he was not looking the boy over because he was concerned about the boy.  That was an absurd thought.

Dumbledore sighed and took a seat in one of the chairs opposite Severus's side of the desk. His gaze gave nothing away. If the old man was shielding his thoughts whatever he was here to say would not be pleasant. "I'm afraid not, my boy."

Harry sat cautiously in the chair next to Dumbledore not taking his eyes off the older man. Even the perpetually confused boy seemed wary of Albus's words.

Severus simply waited. He forced his eyes to remain on Albus.

"I was hoping this wouldn't happen. Or at the very least it wouldn't be a concern. But considering what happened with Professor Quirrell..." the Headmaster paused, and Snape felt his stomach drop uncomfortably. Whatever the Headmaster was about to say, he would not like it. At all.

"As you're aware, and as I explained to Harry on the way here," Albus turned his head to smile at Harry who returned the grin, "Harry was protected at his Aunt and Uncle's home because of the blood wards. I was hoping, against all hope, that Petunia hadn't fully rejected him. That she and Harry might still consider Privet Drive his home in some way. That it could be a safe haven should it be needed in the future."

"Alas," the Headmaster continued, "that is not the case. The wards are becoming weaker by the moment." The pause that followed the Headmaster's words was long and sat heavily around Severus. His chest seemed to constrict ever so slightly, even as his heart rate increased. He remained perfectly still, however, his eyes never leaving Albus's.

"What does that mean?" Harry asked, clearly feeling the silence to some degree, as well.

Albus turned to Harry with a sad smile, "It means, my boy, that you will have to return to your Aunt's home. For your safety and hers."

"NO!" Harry was up out of his chair so fast that Snape wasn't sure he hadn't apparated from a sitting to a standing position. "I won't go back there! I can't! They hate me!"

"Harry-" Dumbledore tried to calm him.

"No! You can't-"

"That's enough," Severus' low voice hissed the command in a way that easily stopped students in their tracks. He did not need to raise his voice as many students would attest to. And just like any of his students, Harry obeyed almost instantly. "You will sit down and stop yelling this instant."

Harry looked at him and Severus could see the hurt and betrayal in his eyes. Snape's mind raced to understand why his words would cause such emotions. He ignored the voice in his head asking why he cared that those particular emotions were directed towards him if he didn't care about the boy. Regardless, he glared until Harry complied and returned to his seat.

"Is there no other way, Albus?" Severus asked, the sinking feeling in his stomach indicating that he already knew the answer.

"I'm afraid not, Severus. If Voldemort is getting stronger - and I believe he is - then those protections must remain in place."

"Then I'll be accompanying him." Snape's eyes widened, and he was sure his shock was evident on his face. Had he said those words aloud? Surely they must have come from another person hidden somewhere in his office. Why would he volunteer to go with the boy? How had those words slipped out? He certainly didn't want to stay with Tuney. He'd hoped to never see her again. Fuck. How did this keep happening? It was like his mouth and his mind were each behaving independently, and neither were consulting him about their actions.

The Headmaster's eyes twinkled madly.

Snape glared at him.

Harry yelled.

"NO! You can't!" The boy was out of his chair again, and his panic was evident in how his head snapped back and forth between him and the Headmaster. His green eyes were wide, not unlike a deer in the headlights of an automobile, but eventually, they settled on the Headmaster. The desperate plea in his voice gave Severus pause, "Please, if I have to go back, please, don't let him come!"

Severus considered letting the boy win the argument. He had no desire to spend even a second with Tuney let alone however long it took for the wards to strengthen. Why he wanted to accompany the boy, he couldn't say. That same part of him that made his chest ache when he thought the child would fall off his broom seemed to have taken over his common sense. He couldn't not go with the child. He'd only just found him.

This constant conflict in his mind about what he wanted to do was tiresome, to say the least.

"How long," Severus ignored the boy's objections, "will we need to stay for the wards to strengthen?"

"No more than a month," the Headmaster seemed content to ignore the upset child, as well. He smiled at Severus warmly. It was disconcerting. "Not a day more than that."

Severus nodded. One whole month with Tuney. Fucking fantastic. "I trust you'll inform her of this development before we show up at her doorstep."

"I'll visit her personally this afternoon."

Severus looked at Harry and had difficulties keeping up with the range of emotions flashing through the boy's eyes. Hurt and anger seemed to be vying for dominance, but there was a rush of other emotions that Snape couldn't properly identify. Preteen emotions were exhausting. He looked back at Albus, "I planned on taking Harry to Diagon Alley on Saturday morning to pick up a few things. Please, inform Petunia to expect us that afternoon."

"I'm sure she'll be thrilled!" The Headmaster said enthusiastically, causing Snape to roll his eyes. The old man knew nothing about Tuney that much was obvious.

"Thrilled is not the word I would use," Severus commented, his eyes moving from Dumbledore to the child in the chair next to him. Harry was slumped down with his arms crossed. Severus couldn't tell if the child was angry or on the verge of tears. Perhaps both? Children his age were so confusing.

"Nevertheless," Dumbledore stood, "I have a few errands to attend to before speaking with Petunia. I'll provide you with a few legal papers before Saturday, Severus, including the ones Petunia needs to sign for Harry to be legally placed into your care."

"Thank you, Albus." A rather suspicious voice in Severus' head wondered what benefit it was to the Headmaster to encourage a relationship between Harry and himself. Albus did like his overcomplicated schemes, after all. Clearly, the man had already factored in their relationship into his plans.

Dumbledore was practically out the door when Snape heard his reply, "Of course, my boy, of course. And best of luck to you and Harry."

"We'll need it," Harry mumbled.

Severus looked down at his papers. He could easily bring them along to Tuney's house. He'd probably have plenty of time there to work on them since they'd be living there for a month. This would change all his plans for the holiday, of course. He'd spent his free time during the school year researching the effects Billywig Wings had in combating poisons containing Belladonna. He had planned on spending the summer writing a few papers about his research. That was most likely not going to happen, now.

Regardless, of his altered summer plans. It was Thursday afternoon. He and Harry had only two days before they'd be on Petunia's doorstep. Only two days before he'd have to speak with Tuney again.

He looked at the boy who hadn't moved since Dumbledore left. At least the boy would have a cousin to play with instead of just sitting around with his Potions Professor. Surely that must be far more entertaining? Not to mention that Petunia and Vernon - despite what happened at Kings Cross - were the only family the boy had known. He must want to see them again, right?

Based on Tuney's unceremoniously throwing the child at him in King's Cross, the child was not as celebrated at home as he imagined. Though why or how he'd convinced himself that Tuney would embrace anything magical he couldn't say. Regardless, the child was obviously spoiled to some degree by Tuney or he wouldn't be nearly as arrogant.

A question swept through his mind, is the boy really that arrogant?

Suddenly, he didn't want to examine his thought processes on the matter.

Snape sighed and leaned back in his chair studying the child, "We're going to Diagon Alley now instead of Saturday. Do you need anything from our quarters before we go?"

Harry shrugged.

"You're not the only one who would rather not spend another second in your Aunt's company, you know? Do I need to remind you about what happened at King's Cross?"

Harry looked up, his eyes narrowing, "then why come? The Headmaster said I'm the one who has to stay there. Not you."

Snape could have kicked himself for reminding the boy of that incident. How did the child always seem to know the questions that he didn't have the answers to? Harry's words from the other night came back to him, and he did his absolute best to copy the child's matter-of-fact tone going as far as to throw in a shrug, "because you're my son."

Harry's face morphed into one of complete shock and (Snape was pleased to see) a bit of panic at those words. Serves the brat right for sending him into a panic the other night.

"Now," Snape continued, "let's go. We have a lot of shopping to do before going to stay with Tuney."

Chapter End Notes:

Thoughts?