Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

Here, we get the story of what happened to Harry!

Chapter 4 - Reluctant Explanations

Last time: “Who did this to you?”

Harry fiddled with his hands to avoid his professor’s eyes. “Do we really have to do the explanation part sir? I mean I’m here now, it’s fine.”

Snape studied Harry. He could tell this wasn’t going to be easy even though he had previously agreed to explain. He knew he was going to have to ask pointed questions, and Harry’s response led to the first one. “So this didn’t happen at Hogwarts then? It happened over the summer?”

Harry looked up. “What?”

“You said you’re here now, it’s fine. That indicates this happened over the summer. Is that correct?”

Harry considered the question. He wondered if he should just be honest with the professor but he didn’t know how to explain everything that had happened, he had never told anyone. Of course Ron and Hermione knew some of it, being his best friends. And the twins had seen some as well when they broke him out before his second year. But no one knew what really went on in the Dursley household. He decided he would give as little detail as he could while still being truthful because if he lied he would never get out of that office, he was sure of it.

“Yes.” Was the only response Harry was going to give without further questioning.

Snape raised his head to the ceiling, taking a breath. This really would be like pulling teeth. He decided to get the question he hoped had an affirmative response out of the way. “Did you get in a fight?”

“No.”

Well… there goes the easy answer. Snape knew he would get a no to that question just from the belt marks on his back but one could only hope. Abuse cases were never easy, especially considering his own childhood and who this child was in front of him. He had never been kind to Harry and he didn’t like being wrong in his assumptions about people.

“Did your relatives do this to you?”

Harry knew this question was coming but still wasn’t prepared to actually answer. Instead of giving a verbal response he stared at the wall behind Snape’s head and nodded.

Snape took a minute to watch the boy and process that nod before continuing. “Was it one relative in particular or all of them?” He asked, hoping to get more than one word out of Harry.

Harry continued to stare at the wall. He opened his mouth as if to answer but shut it again. He didn’t want to actually articulate what they had done. After a moment of contemplation, he decided it was best to give a brief outline and hope that would be the end of his interrogation.

“Aunt Petunia never did much except swing a frying pan at me every once and a while. Dudley hits me sometimes.” He paused, looking back down at his hands. “Uncle Vernon is the worst though.”

Snape nodded, considering what next to ask and keeping a neutral expression through the anger rising within him towards the Dursleys. “The marks on your back, they’re from a belt?”

Harry hung his head even lower, curling in on himself slightly. “Yes.”

“And those are hand prints on your neck and hips?”

“Yes.”

“Your Uncle did that?”

Again… “Yes.”

Snape had known this was the case but he wanted an answer from Harry to be sure. He didn’t know how best to get the boy to open up about what exactly had occurred for him to acquire these injuries. He knew Harry was unlikely to answer such an open ended question as he was about to ask but he had to try.

“Can you tell me what happened when you got those injuries? What took place?” He asked as gently as he could. Being gentle was not in his nature but he tried to treat Harry like he would a Slytherin in this moment instead of seeing Harry Potter.

Harry’s head shot up and his eyes narrowed. “Why do you even care what happened? I told you who did it why does it matter how exactly it happened? You probably wouldn’t believe me anyway. You never do believe me.” He said with a hint of growing anger in his voice.

Snape was taken aback by the sudden change in attitude. “I care because it’s my job to care and I have told you I’ll listen.” He also raised his voice, letting some of his frustration with the situation show. Potter always had the amazing skill of riling him up. Snape never expected that Harry might lost his temper after how quiet he had been but that’s exactly what he did.
Harry locked eyes with the professor, anger continuing to build. All thoughts of saying as little as possible flew out the window. “Oh you care because you’re a teacher and it’s your job to care about the students… sure… not like you’ve ever cared before so what start now? After all I’m just Pampered Prince Potter, couldn’t have a better life. That’s what you think isn’t it professor? Well let me tell you, Prince Potter doesn’t exist. Prince potter wouldn’t have lived in a cupboard for ten years. Prince Potter wouldn’t have thought his name was Boy or Freak until he started school. Prince Potter wouldnt have bars on his window or be fed through a cat flap, when he gets to be fed at all, because he’s locked up. Prince Potter’s Uncle wouldn’t beat him and ra–” Harry cut himself off, breathing heavily and merely standing at this point but unwilling to admit any more than he had once he realized what he was about to say.

After a few breaths he spoke again, sounding tired. “Prince Potter doesn’t exist.” At this he lowered his head to stare at his feet.

Snape stared with wide eyes processing everything the boy had just said in his explosion. He reached out a hand hoping to calm the boy and get him to sit back in his chair but it just startled him into flinching. He drew back his hand and took a breath before speaking.

“Harry.”

Harry’s head shot up to meet Snape’s eyes. Knew that would get his attention, Snape thought as he met Harry’s gaze.

“I think I owe you an apology.” He said simply because with everything that had happened in the last hour Snape’s perspective was drastically shifted. No longer did he see an arrogant, spoiled, Potter spawn. He saw a scared boy who’s attitude was a defense mechanism against perceived threats and he didn’t want to be one of those threats any more.

Harry looked like he has just seem the Headmaster dance the macerana. “What?” There was just no way Snape, Potions Master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, was apologizing to him, Harry Potter, Boy-Who-Lived. No way.

Snape rolled his eyes slightly at the complete shock on the boy’s face. “I said I owe you an apology. I am capable of giving them where they’re called for and I think you deserve one.” He paused to let that sink in.

“Why?” Harry asked, still confused. His professor had first been oddly nice during healing him, not throwing any insults or jabs and now he was apologizing. Harry was sure he had entered an alternate reality.

Snape took a breath. He knew he would have to be careful what he told the boy. After all, he was a former spy who might have to take up his role again at any moment. Cautiously, he spoke. “I have to keep up certain… appearances, for reasons I cannot tell you. I knew I couldn’t be seen by certain parties to be friendly with the Boy-Who-Lived when you came to Hogwarts.” He met Harry’s eyes, ensuring he was still listening. “However… I did not have to take things as far as I did. I did not have to so openly insult your character and make assumptions about your life based on my own biases. For that, I apologize.”

Harry was shocked. What did Snape mean he had to keep up certain appearances? He was shocked at the apology and wanted to know more.

“Certain appearances?”

Snape did roll his eyes that time. “Did I not just say I couldn’t tell you what for? Maybe one day, if you need to know. But for now just know that I can’t be seen to like you in public, but that doesn’t mean I don’t.” He left it there hoping the boy wouldn’t ask any more questions about his feelings.

Unfortunately, he wasn’t that lucky. “Did you just say you like me? You’ve got to be kidding.” Harry seemed to have forgotten completely about his outburst and confessions just minutes before in favor of pursuing this new information about his professor.

Exasperated, Snape sighed. “We are straying from the topic at hand Potter. I still have a few questions for you.” Accepting that he wasn’t going to get a response to his apology but noting that the boy didn’t seem to outwardly reject it.

He still neede more information in response to what Harry had confessed, even if it was uncomfortable for both of them. It was important to know how damaged the boy was if he was ever to help him. “You said you lived in a cupboard?”

Harry looked away at that. “Yes. So what?” He said defensively.

“Potter I’m not trying to upset you but it’s important I know these things and it might help you to talk about them.”

Harry huffed, stopping to think for a minute about Snape’s words before nodding that he could continue with his questions. Still, he didn’t meet the professor’s gaze.

Snape accepted that he would be likely to only get a few more questions in before Harry would stop answering all together. He had to be strategic with what to ask, so he went for what was most important to know but most difficult to ask.

Taking a breath, he too looked away, not ready to hear what he knew would come from his question. “Did your Uncle ever touch you?”

Harry cringed. “I don’t want to talk about that sir.”

Snape took another breath, thinking of a better approach. “Harry.” He said, again causing the boy to look up at the unfamiliar use of his given name. “I need to know whether to run a diagnostic for sexually transmitted diseases. You cut yourself off earlier, and you said he left those handprints on your hips… How far did he go?” He asked, trying to give the boy a logical reason for asking the question so as not to freak him out.

Harry just stared at his professor for a long time. He eventually spoke, all tone gone from his voice. “Run the diagnostic.” That in an of itself was answer enough to what had occurred.

Snape nodded and pulled out his wand as a distraction from the nearly blinding rage he felt on Harry’s behalf. He ran the spell. Thankfully, all came up negative.

He met Harry’s eyes again. “No diseases.”

Harry let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding. He didn’t even consider that disease could be a possibility until just that moment but he was overwhelmingly relieved he didn’t have to deal with that on top of everything else.

Both wizards sat for several seconds processing the conversation.

Snape spoke again. “Is there anything else I should know about?” He didn’t know what else he could ask after Harry’s outburst several minutes earlier. Unless the boy brought forth more information he wouldn’t pry further.

Harry sat as if contemplating his question. Eventually he shook his head. There was nothing else he was willing to talk about. Snape didn’t need more detail then he already had.

Snape nodded at this, slowly moving to sit on the edge of his chair and make closer eye contact with the boy. “I know we have never gotten along and I know we can’t be seen to publicly… but my door is always open if you need to talk. I would encourage you to think about it.”

Harry stared into Snape’s gaze and nodded. This was new territory for the both of them. Snape had dealt with abuse cases before but had never offered an open door to another student. Deep down he knew it was because of his vow and for Lily. And Harry had never had an adult who seemed willing to listen.

Once Harry had put his shirt back on, balm now dry, Snape led him towards his office door sending him off to what would now be lunch. Harry took a few steps before turning, looking as if he was conflicted by what he was about to say.

“Thank you professor.” He then turned around and walked towards the Great Hall.

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:

This is where the made-up story in my head ended, but I will definitely be expanding it! Look for updates soon!