Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Endearing

I can tell when you lie, Severus.'

I assure you, my lord, I am telling you everything that has been disclosed to me. Dumbledore is suspicious. Lucius's attacks on Aurors have not gone unnoticed. He believes someone close to an Order member is leaking information.'

'And naturally this suspicion has fallen upon you.'

'The suspicion has fallen nowhere, yet. But it will fall on me if I persist in asking questions about Potter.'

'Is he not one of your students?'

'The enmity between Potter and myself is hardly unknown, my lord.'

'The question we must ask then is, what use is a spy who can bring me no information?'

'I have brought you information.'

'Not enough, Severus. This must change.'

'My lord ...'

'I'm bored of this, Severus. Crucio.'--


In different dormitories, at opposite ends of the castle, two boys woke up with a start.


Severus walked, limping, towards his rooms. When Albus, walking beside him, offered a shoulder to lean on it was accepted silently. Drawing nearer to his door he stopped suddenly.

'Each time I believe we have reached the limits of their foolishness, they manage to surprise me.' With a careful hand motion he summoned the invisibility cloak covering the two boys. They sat against the wall facing his door, asleep, still with identical expressions of concern.

'Now, Severus, I actually find it rather ...'

'Don't say it.'

'... endearing.'

'What if I had said, "Don't say it please"?'

'I find myself reminded of children waiting for a parent's return.'

'No,' Severus responded flatly. 'You've already decided that I should play confessor for them. I refuse to be thrust into the role of caregiver.'

'I would never suggest such a thing, Severus. After all, Harry's relatives are entirely adequate in that position and Lucius Malfoy is an ideal role model for a teenager.'

'Above flattery but not manipulation?'

'Pointing out the flaws in your argument is hardly manipulation.'

Severus tried a new tack, 'There are other people much more qualified to give guidance to reckless teenagers. May I suggest someone who likes reckless teenagers?'

'There is no one more qualified. You understand guilt and changing sides and you are the person best placed to help Harry and Draco through it.'

'The evidence of my skills in guidance lies asleep in front of you, Albus. They pay so little attention to my instructions that they sit, asleep and undefended, in my hallway.'

Severus took a step towards them. Instantaneously, both boys woke up, pointing their wands at Snape and Dumbledore.

'Undefended, Severus?' Dumbledore asked.

'Yes, yes, very impressive. Had I thrown a hex, however, I doubt merely waking up would be an effective counter.

Draco recovered quickest. 'Why would anyone randomly throw a hex at a wall? Apart from Gryffindors trying to get Slytherins expelled, of course.'

Harry scowled at the jibe.

'I believe this is what you were referring to, Mr Malfoy?' Dumbledore asked, handing Harry the invisibility cloak.

'Thank you. How did you see us?' Harry asked, turning towards Snape.

'Sybil told me to beware of lunatics skulking around my rooms,' he responded darkly.

The effect was slightly tarnished by the teens glancing at each other with a smile. Severus took a step towards them to improve his loom and winced.

Harry stepped forward. 'Lumos,' he whispered. In the dim wand light Snape's pale features looked ghostlike and lingering pain was still evident. But that wasn't what the boys were looking at.

Severus looked at Dumbledore. 'You can fix the bones but the blood is beyond you?' He muttered a cleaning spell fiercely over his cloak. 'Stop that,' was fired at the boys. He opened the room and walked in. 'Come in and sit down. We need to talk.'